Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 465347 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2275 on: June 17, 2008, 11:48:52 AM »
Make me prolapse, baby.

PsySlaver

• Denizen
  • Still the best Valkyrie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: June 17, 2008, 02:37:03 PM »
Live a Live - The new translation patch was released a while ago and I decided to try it.

The game is not as bad as I recall, but I can't see the hype it gets. Alicia is still laughable.

I intend to finish the game this time.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: June 18, 2008, 12:37:59 AM »
SRW@3 - BEATEN. Ohhhhhhh, yes, the final battle was cathartic. Keiser Ephes is Ganeden's polar opposite: dies to a stiff breeze in practice, blows you up good before dying. Same HP! Too bad @3's damage scale is about 2.5x higher. Go figure.

Anyhow, it's probably the best SRW I've ever played. The squad system is still shiny, the polish is so good it hurts. There weren't many changes mechanics-wise from @2 to @3, except Size mattering a lot more and you getting a whole damned lot of more broken. The pacing also improved: @3 is, in spite of the 60 stages, a fair deal being two-parters, moves -fast-. It's a blitzing game, where enemies try to overwhelm you with good offense. This makes for funky stages early on, but crumbles when your army starts getting wrong (something like stage 20 or so). The games rewards Supers more in general due to their generally much better offense and bigger size. Defensively, both are balanced. And, in general, @3 is a lot less balanced than @2, but a lot more fun due to the more entertaining units you get and the general blitzkrieg approach the game takes. It's really awesome and shiny, and it's a blast to blow through. 9/10 material, methinks, probably the best SRW I've ever played.

Unit evaluations!

Selena (AS Alegrias) - The queen of unmitigated broken in my file. @3 mains are utterly insane, and Selena shows by being a goddess of evade and P offense, alongside having a second pilot. The main with the best starter mech and with the best random-busting mech as well, due to an utterly retarded intelligent remote P MAP off good Melee with Soul (not that her 110 Will 4900 base ASBS P ALL hurt). She also benefits greatly from getting cash-pumped, since her weaponry has awesome caps. Ended up with over 700 kills in my file and was the general MVP for everything offense-related due to the excess PP: best damage, best MAP, best mobility. Absolutely beautiful. I put two Zealers (Puru and Judau) on her squad to drive the fact home.

Kouji (Mazinkaiser) - Was less impressive than in @2, but still very good. One of my offense leaders and very tanky, just he has far more competition this time around. Still hard to say no to a no-Will 5000 base P ALL, though. And Kaiser Nova is godlike against bosses.

Shinobu (Final Dancougar) - Rules. Not all that tanky early (although he's fine at taking hits), but probably one of the most consistently badass offense Supers in the game, with 6k base or something P ALLs and the likes. Four pilots (later on, five) with Valor, three of them with Spirit, one with Zeal and Aggressive Beast just for the extra offense kick. Getting 4 Will everytime it gets hit is awesome early as well. Guzzles EN and requires Will like a drunken hobo, though. Still, it's @3, and EN guzzling is a minor issue in it, and three pilots with affordable Spirit make Will issues fairly moot.

Noriko (Gunbuster) - My second-MVP. The Gunbuster is a one-mech army with world-shattering offense and unsurmountable durability. 15k base HP! 5k base long-range ALL! 4000k base intelligent remote MAP! A barrier! LL Size! Then, it decides it's not broken enough and gets Kasumi as a subpilot and Super Inazuma Kick. 1-4 P ALL on the mid-6000s for base is SO VERY WRONG. And hay look Noriko gets Courage and Kasumi gets Love. Impossibly awesome and destroys puny worlds. It costing four squad points sooooooooooooooo doesn't balance the utter retarded.

Ryusei (Banpreios) - Hey look! It's SRX that only takes one slot! And four pilots! Um, yeah, that's not right. The offense isn't so ridiculous when you get it, but it's quite fine and versatile, and Banpreios has a Selena-like MAP for abuse. Rai also gets Drive, which solves any Will issues it might ever have had. Also, three pilots with Valor? Sign me up. Getting the combo finisher ALL with Viletta is just icing. My third-MVP.

Chief (Temjin) - Cool as hell, but not that awesome for boss offense. Has a beautiful long-range ALL for grunts and dodges for years and looks cool, but that's about it.

Apharmd (The Hatter) - Even cooler than Chief! Also has an ALL! Also could stand to have a bit better offense, but worked fine. Just used him because he was stylish and could hold his own.

Amuro (Hi-Nu Gundam) - Wow, deceptive damage and just about the best squad sniper ever. Fin Funnels are essentially infinite sniping death monsters with 2-11 range, 4800 base, S Ranks everywhere and 15 EN cost. All packed within the typical Amuro goodness.

Cosmo (Ideon) - Eh. The Ideon has very obtuse mechanics, starting out with epic weaponry, and Cosmo is a crappy pilot. The offense is downright horrifying once the Ide Gauge gets rolling, though, and Ideon just gets stronger on all regards the longer the battle goes on. If @3 rewarded blitzing less, Ideon would be absolute instead of just a solid machine. Granted, EX Hard should make it shine like a diamond. Points for the nice design synergy, regardless.

Max/Equizedol (Battle 7) - The Battle 7 repeats the winning battleship formula of @2: slapping a downright insane pilot inside a titanic battleship. While Max is its pilot, the Battle 7 DODGES IN SPITE OF BEING A 3L-SIZED 60 BASE MOBILITY BEHEMOTH. And the offense and HP are horrifying. When Equizedol takes control, the dodging is lost and it gets a smaller SP pool. But Macross Cannon is still a world destroyer.

Basara (Sound Force Squad!) - This really needs to be about the whole squad. Basically, the Sound Force is the most retardedly awesome support squad ever. With MAP songs that buff stats/Will/regenerate SP and the possibility of buffing them further for impossibly evil results, the Sound Force mitigates one of @3's potentially biggest issues: Will building. The stat buffing and free spirit pools don't hurt either. It's funny how broken a downright offenseless team can be.

Akira (Raideen) - Mostly there for the dodging Super shenanigans and GOD VOICE DEATH AND DESTRUCTION. Just okay otherwise, and I often subbed Gamlin to abuse his combo P ALL with the Diamond Force instead.

NotElzam (Aussenseiter) - Mid-5000s 1-6 P ALL off Elzam stats and combo of death with Sanger. More or less it, but that's still pretty damned awesome.

Shinji, Asuka and Rei (Evas) - Treating them as a squad because I kept them bunched together the whole game. Harrrrr, the Evas are broken. AT Field makes them downright immortal if you don't slack on upgrades, and they have nice, more escalating offense than SRW average to boot. Their combos are beautiful (EVA Barrage slaughters squads early, and Unison Kick is great for bosses all the time), and they just improve. Asuka getting a spammable 5100 base 1-4 P ALL with two S Ranks for 110 Will is just the crowning in the awesome. Not to mention all three have brilliant SP pools and good Spirits. So wrong.

Guy Shishioh (Genesic GaoGaiGar) - Shiny. Very shiny. A bit on the frail side, but offense was always there.

Jung Freud (Sizzler) - Gunbuster -. Which is to say, it's pretty awesome. Too bad I picked it up so late.

Baran Doban (Bemidoban) - DOESN'T. DIE. EVER. Nice ALL, and his finisher is great to bust boss defense as well. Replaced Selena's stat-busting when I got him.

Shingo (GoShogun) - Was pretty fillerish until GoFlasher Special kicked in. Afterwards, became my most damaging sniper ever. Still really fun.

Kamille (Qubeley) - Filler gruntbuster. Kamille still has awesome stats, and the Qubeley is great for randomslaying, though.

Ibis (Hyperlion) - Real with three pilots was the big thing here. The Hyperlion, as I commented earlier, is pretty versatile. The issue is that the offense doesn't really pan out too well, and that's problematic. Three SP pools mitigate that somewhat and the versatility/mobility combo works well, regardless. Played more utility than anything else.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:29:02 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2278 on: June 18, 2008, 01:11:32 AM »
I got back to Sigil in PS:T. I am very, very glad I kept Vhailor alive, so that I could redeem Trias for THAT reward and then let Vhailor execute him for his weapon.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: June 18, 2008, 01:41:26 AM »
Guilty Exodus- Obtained the PC version, aka the version with voice not suck, after all these years. Time to blitz through this thing.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: June 18, 2008, 01:47:05 AM »
WBCII: Reset my campaign out of boredom.  First map I got utterly screwed in the resource war due to having jack shit to start with and around me.  Eventually managed to win, because I'm awesome.  But it still was annoying as hell.

Rock Band: Fear the skills that earn me 1 star!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: June 18, 2008, 08:26:37 AM »
Chaos Wars- Stopped before Act 5-2. Yuri's a beast that can pretty much spam For the Children at will now, but the game sets up some pretty awkward scenarios. Boo being surrounded by tanky AoE that combo and dodge frequently!

Using Hyoma, Hiro, Yuri, Alice and Okita in the main group. Back ups are Rin, Wruzel, Meu, Yunellia and Kurando. Not like I ever need them...

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: June 18, 2008, 02:23:36 PM »
S03

Everything happens so fast ... it's chaos!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7xOy_oSHE6g

o_o

That game never fails to surprise me. Roger seems like a good third to go with the two game best damage dealers. I overwrote my Cliff/Peppita/Maria file by mistake so I may try that next. C/P/M had defeated Freya anyway.

Persona 3 -

Picked this up for £14.99 - half price. This is all OK, Gate and Xer's fault that I'm playing the game in the first ! ;p
J/K ... I'm actually really enjoying it. Reached the 40th floor of Tarturas well within the time limit for Elizabeth's document request so focusing on improving social links and Academics/Courage/Charm some more. I have Classmate, Team Member, Team Leader, Old Couple, Young Girl, Transfer Student and the Emperor Social Links all at level 3 now. I've been having a great time tweaking and twinking my Personas. Fusions ftw. I have some persona in storage with Elizabeth and I'm currently carrying Asparas, Lilim, Jack Frost, Pyro Jack (L16!), the main's initial, Unicorn ... and something else. I forgot the name ... it looks like a blue blob thing sort of tear shaped and is due to learn the Media skill. I also had it's companion the red blob thing and Nekomata, they are updated in the registry in case I need them back for anything.

Character wise I'm starting to like Aki more and more. I wasn't too sure on him at first but he's definitely growing on me. Though then Jun does something amusing that puts him in front again xD  Females - Mitsuri > Yukari, Males - Shuji > Aki/Junpei > Junpei/Aki. I just wish Mitsuri could play a more active role in battles. Yukari definitely wins there <3

I am happy with this game. One of the concerns I had was that I was going to be stuck in one dungeon all the time with no events elsewhere and that the dungeon floors would all remain the same with no different colour schemes or anything. The Full Moon events cleared up that worry. Another Full Moon coming up soon, I wonder what will happen =D
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: June 18, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »
Etrian Odyssey 2 - Started this!  Still on the first floor, but I completed the first mission and quest.  Current team is as follows:

Nephenee (Protector) - Put a point in Provoke and 2 into Shields.  Planning on pumping up Provoke and Shields, grab Smite, and then maybe some Guard skills?  Don't know.
Anna (Ronin) - A point in STR Up, a point in Overhead, and a point in the basic Overhead attack skill.  Shooting for Mideraba.  After that maybe I'll grab an elemental attack or something.
Virginia (Gunner) - A point in Guns and a point in the fire and ice elemental shots.  Planning on getting a point in all the elemental shots, then going for Ricochet.
Misha (Troubadour) - A point in Songs, Bravery, and Shelter.  Mostly focusing on Bravery and Shelter here, since those seem to be the money buffs of the game.
Cecilia (Medic) - Two points into Healer, one into Cure.  Typical healer build here.  Probably will try and get Caduceus later on.

We'll see how this works.  I have a character of every class so I can switch people out if things don't work well.  Also, reducing the cost of Rest from 10 levels to 5 means that I can experiment more with builds, which is awesome.

As for the game itself?  It's basically EO+++.  Improved the polish on many things (quicksave, comparing equipment in the shop menu, equipping after buying, tweaked Rest/Retire mechanics, better map drawing options, etc.)  Seems like they balanced a lot of stuff as well, though completely removing Immunize and Relaxing is sad (they could've just tweaked them down or something...).  Oh well.  Seems like there's more options for party selection since all the classes are better balanced against one another, and you can still get some neat party synergy combinations (Landsknecht elemental chases can work with a Gunner, Ronin, or Alchemist now, I think).

New classes?  Gunner seems kind of cool.  Basically seems like a Survivalist with much less emphasis on support and more emphasis on damage.  Elemental shots are a nice niche, since not too many classes can use elements, and I think only the Alchemist can use all three magical elements.  Their charge shots are a neat idea (increase damage the Gunner takes until the shot fires that turn, but good damage when it does), but I'd have to see if the damage is worth it (probably not).

War Magus just seems like a hybrid melee/medic, which uh... not sure that will work out too well offhand.  Would have to use one to be sure, but it doesn't look like they can handle healing well enough to remove a Medic from the team, though maybe a War Magus/Protector would be enough healing?  Still, two slots on healing characters probably isn't worth it, even if they can attack on turns healing isn't needed.  Eh, would have to see them in action, which I may or may not do.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: June 18, 2008, 10:35:15 PM »
Did you get FES or vanilla P3, CT?
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: June 19, 2008, 12:38:04 AM »
S03

Everything happens so fast ... it's chaos!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7xOy_oSHE6g

Hahaha.  Awesome.

BvS:  Back up to Special Jonin.  Getting more people to level 2.  Also got my second super-rare item in a week.  Makes up for my horrible luck in the party room last season.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: June 19, 2008, 01:42:52 AM »
OGs - THE ROBOTS STOLE MY SENTIENCE AND TURNED ME INTO ONE OF THEM HELP. Anyhow, yeah, SRW kick still applies. Stage 6 of Kyosuke route right now! The polish is sexier than @3's, which is drool-worthy. Enemies are still OG1 enemies, thus, sub-FE8 still, only possibly even worse later on. Up to a goooooooooood start.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

CompmanJX3

• Holiday Prinny
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: June 19, 2008, 03:33:53 AM »
Lunar 2 - I'm not very far in.  Lucia just left the part and the Ronfar decided that we need to go after her.  But so far the whole game is kind of disappointing.  It seems to do wrong all the little things that Lunar 1 did well.  It's slow, the run button is weird and spotty, the enemies are a little bit more annoying than they ought to be, even the fact that healing spells don't automatically focus on the character with the lowest %hp.  On the other hand, the story seems to be a little more interesting, and the cutscenes are everything that Lunar's weren't.  You'd think there'd be some kind of consistency in quality between the two games...  Then again, there's plenty of time for everything to improve.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2288 on: June 19, 2008, 09:25:16 AM »
Lunar 2 - I'm not very far in.  Lucia just left the part and the Ronfar decided that we need to go after her.  But so far the whole game is kind of disappointing.  It seems to do wrong all the little things that Lunar 1 did well.  It's slow, the run button is weird and spotty, the enemies are a little bit more annoying than they ought to be, even the fact that healing spells don't automatically focus on the character with the lowest %hp.  On the other hand, the story seems to be a little more interesting, and the cutscenes are everything that Lunar's weren't.  You'd think there'd be some kind of consistency in quality between the two games...  Then again, there's plenty of time for everything to improve.

If you -really- want to talk about an 'inconsistency in quality', try comparing either of these games to Lunar 3. ...>.>;;

-Djinn

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: June 19, 2008, 02:31:16 PM »
Etrian Odyssey 2 - Started this!  Still on the first floor, but I completed the first mission and quest.  Current team is as follows:

(stuff)

War Magus just seems like a hybrid melee/medic, which uh... not sure that will work out too well offhand.  Would have to use one to be sure, but it doesn't look like they can handle healing well enough to remove a Medic from the team, though maybe a War Magus/Protector would be enough healing?  Still, two slots on healing characters probably isn't worth it, even if they can attack on turns healing isn't needed.  Eh, would have to see them in action, which I may or may not do.

War Maguses were built to synergize with Hexer. If you don't have a hexer, don't bother getting a war magus. Most of their skills require status ailments on the enemy to work properly, most of which can only be caused by a Hexer. I had a War Magus + Hexer combo on my team myself upon finishing the main game, so.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: June 19, 2008, 06:39:03 PM »
War Maguses were built to synergize with Hexer. If you don't have a hexer, don't bother getting a war magus. Most of their skills require status ailments on the enemy to work properly, most of which can only be caused by a Hexer. I had a War Magus + Hexer combo on my team myself upon finishing the main game, so.

I see.  Probably not something I'll ever use then but who knows.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Finished 1-E!  Yeah, that map is brutal.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: June 19, 2008, 09:34:49 PM »
Wild Arms XF - Onto Act 2. Last three battles of Act 1 were pretty tough, although I think only one of them actually killed me. The other two just came close. Nice to see this game play with victory/loss conditions. Gameplay continues to deliver solidly. Ragnar needs to shut up.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: June 20, 2008, 06:25:19 AM »
EO2:  Get!

Team is CmdrKing the swordgirl Landsknecht (actually axegirl), Miasma the Dark Hunter (omg whips plz), Rob the Gunner (they even have his picture!), Hatbot the Hexer, and Ciato the War Magus.

Just got to Floor 3.  Game is very old school, not that that's a bad thing.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: June 20, 2008, 08:59:53 AM »
Am I wearing my chaps in my picture? Or I guess you could just tell me what EO2 stands for and I could do the Googling.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: June 20, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »
Chaos Wars- Through the funky Realizes. ::Boots Hayatemaru and Shizuku for being useless:: Hiro is pretty broken with Red Tornado. Bonuses to attack with fire PLUS Absorb. Yuri continues to wander around spamming For the Children. Game's alright, honestly. Last thing I did was get Little Snow. Figures the ice-haired chick is only a Realize. Never used Koyuki, so she's pretty much gonna sit out as well. Sad. I have a think for that colored hair. ::Looks at Krane from GoC4::

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: June 20, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »
Am I wearing my chaps in my picture? Or I guess you could just tell me what EO2 stands for and I could do the Googling.

Etrian Odyssey 2.  They look like chaps, but it's hard to see them under the trenchcoat.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 20, 2008, 11:23:35 PM »
Pfft, I would never wear a hat like that.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: June 21, 2008, 12:25:47 AM »
EO2:  Hard game is hard.  Lack of defense seems to be the biggest problem - armor upgrades provide few additional points, and those don't affect enemy damage much anyway.  I should not still be taking significant damage from Hedgehogs at this point!

Everyone's level 10 now.  The Hatbot project finally panned out.  Mastered Evil Eye is ~100% Terrify on randoms (not on FOEs though), and then I can have them Suicide themselves.  TP costs are still prohibitive.  CmdrKing is smiting things well.  Ciato just hits things and heals after battle.  Rob is a decent damager, but I need to get him a better weapon.  Miasma is just kind of there so far.  Great base stats, but it takes a long time to get her good skills.

Also, reminder to Pokemon players in the United States:  You can get a Deoxys from your local Gamestop this weekend and next weekend.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: June 21, 2008, 03:06:43 AM »
Chaos Wars- Through the funky Realizes. ::Boots Hayatemaru and Shizuku for being useless:: Hiro is pretty broken with Red Tornado. Bonuses to attack with fire PLUS Absorb. Yuri continues to wander around spamming For the Children. Game's alright, honestly. Last thing I did was get Little Snow. Figures the ice-haired chick is only a Realize. Never used Koyuki, so she's pretty much gonna sit out as well. Sad. I have a think for that colored hair. ::Looks at Krane from GoC4::

Koyuki is arguabelly one of the best mage though.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: June 21, 2008, 03:32:47 AM »
I don't doubt it, but I only really need one mage. Still using Hyoma, Yuri, Hiro, Okita and Alice. A second mage wouldn't be bad, honestly, but Koyuki is level 10 still, and raising her to level 30 would be a pain. Despite her kill count Alice still kinda lags in levels.