Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464344 times)

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2325 on: June 23, 2008, 04:47:37 AM »
goddammit Arcanum why won't you work i just want to plaaaaay yooooou

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: June 23, 2008, 06:24:26 AM »
MMXCM: Beat Mach Jentra!

MMZXA Hard Mode: Got Model F! Chronoforce can go die in a ditch.

MMBN3: Just finished that Grand Prix thing.  I should know what its actually called, but that'd require me putting effort into remembering Mega Man Battle Network plot.

...also, Blue version, for those who care.

DMC1 Hard Mode: Just finished the Underwater sections of the game!  Game is still fun when you're constantly dying.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: June 23, 2008, 08:15:40 AM »
Spectral Force Genesis- Wow, things has stopped making sense, Mugen has a total character swap, and I don't even know where to begin on Jagandira. Good job IF, you never fails at destroying the player's braincell.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: June 23, 2008, 09:40:36 AM »
Reinstall the game entirely from the start Strago.  I can't think of anything fancy to do with it like Fallout.  I think I have had install process just chuck a shit before and clean install worked.

If Omnicidal Lesbian Rapist Xenomorph has the secret of Metallica I don't really care Niu, the plot hasn't said shit about Metallica at all so far.  I know that she is a weapon gone out of control and that she would obviously feel justified in her kill all humans policy, since it is one I can get behind, but saying that taking her out is a bad thing, not because of some secret about Metallica or anything actual, you know RELEVANT TO THE SETTING AT ALL being given, just oh now we are kind of selfish for stopping something that was going to kill all of humanity (We should all get in touch with our inner xenomorph and just think about things from ITS perspective) like we are actually given in game can go fuck itself.

The problem isn't with Lesbian Xenomorph herself, it is given the knowledge we have so far in the game the party getting angsty over killing her when they had no reason at all to give half a dogshit sandwich about her that is really retarded.  Even if they did know something about her, if you couldn't pull a Sailor Moon ending (which they apparently do then, which is funny considering what notmiki said) then putting a .223 round in her head is still probably the best thing you could do all things considered.

Oh but hey Sailor Moon endings are much better and even LESS intellectually insulting.  Oh wait no they aren't and are again a cookie cutter pile of shite technique that you see in Objectivist writings.  All the people really need is to be confronted with the One Frue Ideology and they will bow down before the great Penis God and slurp up His Divine Blessings Of Fruth.

And for people that have enjoyed my rantings, well now you know why the DL keeps me.  They don't tolerate daily wishings for death upon them for being retarded for no reason.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: June 23, 2008, 10:53:31 AM »
On whether it is not selfish to kill Meul or not. At least Tastiera and Shurelia's reasoning is that Meul is more of a victim, just gone disarray. Nothing was really her fault until the humanity finally made her snap, and Shurelia actually owe her life to Meul during that incident. For those two, at least, they would most definitely object in saying it is all Meul's fault and go get rid of her. Those two experienced the entire stupid brain dead self righteous Sol Cielian history, getting rid of Meul just because of she is dangerous would only mean that the human has learned completly nothing from the past centuries (in their eyes, killing Meul because she is dangerous is similar to how people brainwashing RTs into lifeless dolls because they has out powered humanity, which lead to the second catastrophe).

As for what they did to change Meul's mind, they literally beats EXEC_HARMONIOUS/. into her head, that really is the only way to stop her without killing her.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2330 on: June 23, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »
Blah blah blah oh I'm a victim BULLSHIT. That just means you have to feel LESS bad about killing them, cause it's not like killing a bad person anymore, you're just putting down a fucking rabid dog.

These plots are always obnoxious. Fuck you too, Chrono Cross.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: June 23, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
Reinstall the game entirely from the start Strago.  I can't think of anything fancy to do with it like Fallout.  I think I have had install process just chuck a shit before and clean install worked.

Still no good. Goddamn.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: June 23, 2008, 01:35:12 PM »
AT - Plot backtracking blah blah, haven't beat the game yet.

So to beat her you brainwash her?  Awesome. 

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:36 PM »
And the best thing?  Since he was poisoned, I got his super-rare drop.  Sells for 30,000 en.  I am now rich, although not rich enough to buy the 231,000 en bow that drop turns into.

Now doing the 3-day quest on floor 4.  Once again, yay for Regenall on War Magus.

Just go beat him seven more times.  I have a Troubadour doing ~500 damage with that bow right now.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: June 24, 2008, 10:30:52 PM »
OGs - ARMORLION AW YEAH.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: June 25, 2008, 05:42:53 AM »
P3 - Somewhere in mid-October... yeah, go me and updating power! Woo!

Solid all around so far. Junpei is generally pretty great, and the rest of the cast is both varied and somewhat interesting. S. Links are fun... you have to actually try to get all the females in your party to fall in love with you. Working on Yukari, already have Yuko falling all over me. Villains... er, Strega is kinda... creepy I guess? Chidori and Takaya are generally okay, Jin gets on my nerves.

Moving on.

The battle system is pretty good overall, and trying to fuse the strongest Personas can be a decent distraction at times. Gonna have Thor and Surt soon, replacing the currently deadly Dionysus and Succubus, still trying to find something to replace Ganga and Clotho for Ice and Wind respectively. My Titan has a Str stat that no Persona who is still only level 32 should ever have, others generally just floating around waiting to be fused into something bigger. May go for Black Frost at some point, need to get King Frost first.

Oh, finished Tartarus (seemingly? 164 floors?) as well. For the first time, a boss was actually easier for me than it was for my little sister on Easy mode (she's actually a few days ahead of me at the moment, since I left it at the house while spending effectively two days and a night hanging out with friends.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: June 25, 2008, 10:34:15 AM »
Nah, Tartarus goes up to...255? Something like that. And be careful about dating two girls at once. One of the S. Links is liable to get reversed if you screw things up.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: June 25, 2008, 12:46:10 PM »
Ar Tonelico - This game resists completion.  Last night I got it in my head that I wanted to get some Funny Clothing to make some items.  3 hours later, neither of the 2 enemies that would have dropped it for certain if they showed up had appeared.  Fuck you game.

Tonight, I decided to advance the plot, so walk through a long boring repetetive dungeon, see the Atlas Shrugged court scene style plot for "Oh lets save Mir" in that it just occurs to Lynder out of fucking nowhere what the real truth to the world is and then spouts out some bullshit and instantly makes everyone agree with him.  YES!  THIS IS COMPLEX BELIEVABLE PLOT.   At least it wasn't a million fucking hours long like Ayn Rand really is, but whatever.  Oh and I would love to point out with all this love and happy fun times plot, the two boss fights I have had so far were ALLY THINGS THAT WERE MADE AGGRESSIVE AND YOU JUST TRY TO KILL THEM WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT.  Sure one was a giant mech, who gives a shit.  The guardian thing that was reprogrammed though?  HAHAHAHA HYPOCRISY MAKES FOR GOOD PLOT.  This programmed entity got reprogrammed to destroy the world essentially, then the guy that reprogrammed it JUST JOINED YOUR FUCKING PARTY and you instantly go into KILL KILL mode.

Then oh hey this is the final summon for Shurelia and the game teleports you out of the dungeon, so I backtrack through the whole fucking place to refight the thing a few times.  Nothing there.  YOu need to progress the plot to the final dungeon (like ONE MORE GODDAMNED PLACE if I am reading things correctly) for it to appear.  So I have to run back out.

Lame.  Fuck you again game.  The forced backtracking is bad enough, the optional stuff is pretty bad as well, really vague stuff hidden deep in a dungeon with an unpredictable trigger though?  That can just go fuck itself.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: June 25, 2008, 01:04:47 PM »
P3

Awesme dog is awesme. Axesme axe man is also awesme. Tempted to say the kid looks like a damn good battle character too (actually he was at the boss in the mall) but will probably get hung, drawn and quartered for doing so >_> Aegis is ok, not as good as I thought she was going to be but maybe it's just cause she isn't twinked yet dunno <_< I mean she's good (nifty AoE skill) but something feels lacking. I don't know if I'm making any sense. She doesn't have the spells I saw in the stat topic. Yukari has been doing her job well as healer/support character so she's definitely a consideration for staying in my party. All I know is that awesme dog is a cert.

According to current information there are three more big bad full moon shadow bosses. So game is drawing to a close?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:37:16 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: June 25, 2008, 05:08:47 PM »
Ah... Tartarus has fooled me once again! Yay invisible stairs or something.

Don't worry about the extra dating either, I only move on after hitting level 10 with one of the girls. Mitsuru is gonna have to wait her turn, and good luck to Chihiro ever having time to finish her S. Link.

Anyways, I'm probably using an unusual team for the bulk of the game, since I've got Junpei and Aigis at the same time. Granted, once Aigis starts learning those MT buffs, she'll probably become a really useful support character, but for now she's pretty much a less damaging Junpei. Yukari has all the best healing magic, so she's pretty much a given, though I've been keeping Mitsuru leveled up a bit in case I need a decent healer when fighting a lightning slinging boss. Koromaru is probably my best fourth member if that happens, I think, though awesome doggy is losing some levels to the rest.

Everyone else has gotten the axe, for all that pretty much everyone in the game seems usable to some degree or another.

Anyways, whatever I lose from not bringing them, I can give to the main character. Since he's basically better at everything than everyone.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: June 25, 2008, 07:45:59 PM »
Got Arcanum working! I am a sexy tech badass.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: June 25, 2008, 08:39:49 PM »
:( What about my suggestions? Grim Grimoire is fun!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: June 25, 2008, 09:20:43 PM »
Adventures in the Questing of Dragons continues apace.  I have managed to face the tretcherous Captain Crow, and got to see the brutal owning of someone who...  showed up for no particular reason and kept me from my rightfully looted wealth!  Regardless, while Crow had an interesting schtick, his round of awesome is easy to see coming, and just results in me telling everyone to defend, which...  makes him not a threat.  The fact that I'm also packing Kerplunk and Kazing also means I have few worries.

So, gone to the next place the plot wants me to go.  Visited the town, and am about to head to the Dark World.  Guv, with his Sacred Armour and Miracle Sword now almost never needs healing, ever.  Between Falcon Slash and the armour, he's getting back around 60 HP a round.  However, my day off saw me without the ability to play DQ, so, instead I progressed in...

Rondo of Swords!  Finally getting the hang of this game, and reached the plot upgrade for Sedric.  In the refreshing choice between having him either turn into Mother Teresa or Eat Babies, I figured out how to be Mother Teresa, and then decided to eat babies anyways just for the heck of it.  I do like that he acknowledges that no one forced him to eat that baby, and that some of the PCs are now inclined to give him a smack upside the head.

Plot still isn't great, but it's not as bad as before, and Chekov's Gun has just been fired.  Oh, and the main plot point of the early game has been resolved.  It's not much, but it's there.

Now, for characters.  That advice on Rukia was solid.  She's consistantly stealing items whenever I go to shop.  For RP purposes, I think I'd be compelled to stop sending her to buy things if I were Mother Teresa.  Baby Eaters on the other hand?  They're down with free stuff.  Cotton continues to be awesome, with the addition of Faerie Fire, and the ability to restore about 65% of her MP.  This is ludicrous given the power and MP total she has.  Sedric has picked up ZOC which just makes him more awesome, and Alhambra is showing that good characters can get and use Sprint.  But the real surprise is Shino and Izuna.

As someone mentioned earlier, Shino is a crappy archer who trades a lot of power for extra range and some magic.  Except, that's not what Shino is.  She's a limited, but strong mage, with a lot of mobility, the ability to tank a hit, and a ranged attack that's good at chipping.  If you plan around it, Shino's Rekka Flame borders OHKO, hits a 5x5 square around her, and doesn't cost that much MP.  She also has teleportation, though that's less likely to see use.  Izuna on the other hand is the most powerful unit I have.  Before she got all her skills set up and when he had an 11 level advantage over her, Ansom and Izuna were tied for strongest.  Now it's no contest, and she does a hefty chunk of damage to anyone she faces.  Her OB power is strong.  I don't know how strong as nothing has ever been hit by it and lived.  And while her Rekka Flame is only going to OHKO frail units, it's still a strong THKO on most everything else, and leaves most enemies ready to be taken down by someone fast like Alhambra or Kay.  She even comes with Def that's reasonable for a swordmaster, and HP that's better than everyone save for Margus.  Her one flaw is mobility.  Only 6 move, with no sign of Sprint so far, as well as her OB needing to be used on an enemy right next to her.

So, yeah.  Still not a great game, but I am enjoying it more now that I think I've finally gotten used to a lot of its quirks.  Still also going to be playing second fiddle to DQ for a while.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: June 25, 2008, 10:06:20 PM »
Every character is more or less balanced, depending on what elements the monsters in the current block of Tartarus you're exploring are weak too. Yukari is generally always an in, since she's your best healer for the most part, and Junpei isn't very good early-to-midgame since there are lots of bosses that use Wind and he's not very accurate. He gets a sizable boost later on, though, especially once things start being weak to Fire, so he's not a complete writeoff.

CT: The game does not end after you're done with Arcana bosses. You have roughly 2-3 months of in-game time after that. You'll see why.

Edit: Oh, yeah, if you do decide to do two girls at once you should probably dedicate all your after school time to do the both of them, otherwise one or both will end up Reversing. 3 or more isn't worth the trouble.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: June 25, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »
Why isn't there more playing Okami on Wii?  I picked up my copy, but have been distracted trying to finish that other piece of crap.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:08 AM »

Tech is so much more interesting than Magick. Just saying. Of course, Magick is probably the more powerful route overall. Fucking teleport spell and fucking rez spell and fucking overpowered Necromantic Black level 1 spell. Once you get the Blade Launcher, it kind of levels out, kill-power-wise, but the Blade Launcher takes a lotta work.

If you're going tech, might want to consider Dwarf. Dwarves are cool in general, though.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: June 26, 2008, 01:47:17 AM »
I am indeed a tech dwarf. Level 3, now, I have the first levels of Herbology, Electricity, and Gun Smithery, as well as a few points (and Apprentice training) in Firearms. Just bumped my Perception up, too. So, yeah.

Oh, and I chose Charlatan's Protege, so I'm a smooth-talkin' gunslinger. Yeehaw.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: June 26, 2008, 02:08:09 AM »
I consider first-tier herbology (that's the one with the salve) a must, if only because it makes the first third of the game so much more easy.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: June 26, 2008, 03:28:12 AM »

Of course, Magick is probably the more powerful route overall. Fucking teleport spell and fucking rez spell and fucking overpowered Necromantic Black level 1 spell.

...nevermind Disintegrate.  Tier 5 energy, but still.  Disintegrate, or whatever it is, from what I remember.

Kills.  Anything.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: June 26, 2008, 06:23:29 AM »
F-Zero X: So close. I now have second place finishes on every single Master cup. Still no firsts. Oddly, I am finding Grip the most important stat now. Usually the importance of this stat goes down as you get better in racers, but not this one apparently. Funny.

Fire Emblem 7 - Beat the desert on Eliwood Hard Mode, as I forge further into the game. Genesis looks way, way better than on NM. Three 19-magic Luna druids? Kill me now. I've been having trouble setting on a party (which is fine, helps the Exp rank) and I hope that doesn't bite me in the ass here. Still on pace for S ranking.

Wild Arms XF - Currently on... 2-8? Whichever map it is where you have 100 turns to run down a very long road. Got badly owned by said turn limit, looks like I'll have to invest in some high move classes. There's probably a reason I got all those Berserker weapons.

Does it make a difference if you "win" the 40 turn map or not? I screwed up and timed out, which is a shame because my 41st turn should have won the battle (provided the target object could be OHKOed like the ones in the previous battle). Game went on anyway, and judging by the cutscene it could have happened either way. I take it you get exp/items if you beat the map, and not if you lose?

Asgard was a cool fight, if not too difficult. Quirky, though. And regardless, yay, actual boss!

Plot continues to be there. Hrathnir was solid enough until he pulled a Johnny Appleseed, guess I can forgive that though. Weisheit is kinda cool aside from her random Felius lust. (I know she's probably a man, and the game refers to her as such, but breasts + female VA = my brain is happier to think of her otherwise.) She just takes such pride in the way she toys with the heroes; it's kinda admirable. Ragnar is still being retarded, and somehow I don't expect this to change. Not much new to say on the other PCs.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.