Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473074 times)

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2650 on: July 25, 2008, 04:19:16 AM »
FF4DS - Golbez is a good fight now? What the...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: July 25, 2008, 06:32:41 AM »
MK - I have seven characters now? Oh what the.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: July 25, 2008, 12:59:51 PM »
neoFFL2 with Monsters:

Here is my current party in Edo:

XENTHSE the ANSWERER
FRAU the TARANTLA
KYOUSE the PHANTOM
HIME the MUTANT F

The Hofud family is a kick-ass boss-killing family... They have insane single-target skills that are coupled with insanely balanced stats. They also have O-Damage and O-Change, which is basically a slightly nerfed version of O-All. Their downside is the fact they can't do much in regular battles that have enemy groups. The Beetle families got buffed quite a lot, now they have Surprise so you can get the First Strike. The O-Bake family now have ID in the form of Erase, same with some specific monsters that didn't have ID before now having it, like Champgnos having FatalGas when they didn't before, I think? Overall monsters kick major ass and fighting them is a very enjoyable experience.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: July 25, 2008, 08:09:11 PM »
Hey I forgot to post in here for a long time again.  Oops.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Finished!

Overall?  This is a pretty awesome game.  I know, I know, I'm calling a Fire Emblem game awesome, but seriously, it's like hundreds of times better than those GBA crap games.

Battles still have permadeath, but this is saved by there being an in-battle quicksave.  So if you lose a character due to dumb luck, you lose only a few turns of time rather than 2 hours.  This helps immensely.  The game is still hard enough that you can save yourself into a situation where you'll lose a character no matter what you do, so it's not like you can save after every action.  Once a turn worked fine for me, though at one point I found myself in a difficult position even then.  Really, the game is balanced for in-battle saves.

Also, the fact that the game is challenging without being outright retarded is a bonus.

Bonus EXP is awesome as usual, though the "forced 3 stats" makes it a bit of a double-edged sword.  Bad for early levels, good for later ones, though it's always decent for quickly levelling up weaker people (such as the time I threw a bunch on Mist so she could promote at 20).  Adding skill removal is one of the best things the game did.  Allows for actual customization of skills which FE9 was quite limited in.  Especially at endgame when you can just steal the skills from people you're not using.  Allows for a hell of a lot of twinking and was quite fun.  Also, making initial skills not cost CP helped make this customization not make characters clone copies of one another skill-wise.  Good idea, that.  Making masteries auto-learned and useful was also a huge jump from FE9.  AETHER!! nerf was sad though.

Forging system was better, too.  No more 1/map limit, and they seemed to cost less in general.  Generally made forged weapons more useful.

Adding height mechanics to the battle system was kind of neat, but ultimately didn't matter too often.  Though if it did it'd probably be annoying, so this is probably a good thing.

Plot stuff!  SPOILERS FOR FIRE EMBLEM PLOT I guess.

Part 1 plot was neat.  Kind of a reversal from FE9, and does a good job of introducing up the setting.

Part 2 plot, eh.  There wasn't a whole lot there beyond CIVIL WAR LOL.  Also kind of pointless beyond showing how much of a badass Elincia is.  Not that this is a bad thing, of course.

Part 3 plot starts off decent enough.  Typical "senators go against monarch's wishes, stir shit up, hero must fix" stuff, but it works for what it is.  However, it goes downhill from there.  Blood pact shit is just retarded.  Signing a piece of paper can make your whole country die?  Yeah, not buying that shit for a minute.  Basically a lame excuse to make Daein fight for the senators.  However, the end result of the pact isn't all bad.  The whole "friends forced to fight against friends for some reason" is cliche, but it works, and it fits in perfectly with the later plot overall.  It's just the blood pact shit that annoys the hell out of me.

Part 4 plot?  I quite liked it, but that's probably because Yune is one of the most awesome characters ever.  (You thought I was kidding when I said Yune was the best character in the game when I first started playing?  So did I.  But I wasn't, apparently.)  Anyways, the whole idea of order and chaos needing to coexist has always been interesting to me, so I liked this stuff.  Dark god being good, etc. was pretty cliche, but it worked, especially with Dheggy's explanation later on (which also fit in well).  The biggest problem with the plot is... why does YOUR ENTIRE PC CAST get saved from being stoned, while uh just about everyone else except Amy doesn't?  People later saved by Ashera are ignored here for obvious reasons.  Do they ever explain this?  I don't remember it.  Yune mentions something about the non-stoned people being people who treated beorc and laguz as equals, but I'd think there are others besides the PC cast that do as well (and why Amy??).  Dunno, doesn't sound too believable.

Ending?  Meh, was all right.  Ike's little speech to Yune was decent, but not as good as FE9's ending speech, I think.  Ending screen that does nothing but praise Ike annoys the hell out of me though.  Yeah yeah, Ike is the best person ever, we get it.  The overemphasis of this kind of makes me dislike Ike a bit.

So yeah, overall?  Pretty good by RPG standards (not that these are high or anything) which is exceptional for FIRE EMBLEM PLOT.

Characters!

Micaiah: Battle: Actually decent, though pretty weak for a lord.  Thani rules, but that's about the only niche she has beyond being another healer.  Light magic isn't exactly uber and doesn't hit any weaknesses (it really needed to).  Evasion is passable due to insane Luck growth and decent speed, resistance is awesome due to being a mage, but the physical durability fails.  Coming with A support with Sothe helps all around though.
DL: Yeah, she gets Nosferatu for me, so she can use that and Thani.  Decent middle?
Plot: I like Micaiah, I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's because she's charismatic and doesn't take shit from anybody.  And also Izuka owning.  Izuka owning = massive bonus points.  Seriously.  Izuka fucking sucks.

Edward: Battle: Servicable enough, but not great.  Wrath can be pretty hax, and having a decent evasion stat makes it work.
DL: Eh, unique sword helps some, but I still don't think he ends up that great.  Middle?
Plot: What plot?

Leonardo: Battle: Servicable archer for the Dawn Brigade.  Pretty scrubby compared to the others though.  And Cancel?  Seriously?  Owns mages I guess.
DL: He really really likes that bow.  Probably a Light/Middle?  I'd have to check some things.

Nolan: Battle: Kicks ass... in the Dawn Brigade.  Actually probably solid otherwise, too.  Comes with Nihil so that's a plus.
DL: Basically just hits things.  I dunno, Light/Middle again?  I recall him having good evasion but in-game != DL, etc.

Laura: Battle: Servicable healer for the Dawn Brigade.  Would be freaking awesome if her speed cap didn't fail at life.  Regardless, she eats mages for breakfast, which is a bonus.
DL: Uh, Light.  That damage isn't going to go too far and the speed is hurt by the cap.  Though the regen from staves can't hurt.
Plot: Why did she actually join?  I mean, I know why she temporarily joined but why did she stick around?  Whatever.

Sothe: Battle: Jeigan!  Who doesn't completely fail at endgame!  Overall, quite useful, though not really someone I'd focus on training.  Stealing/chest unlocking does have benefits though.
DL: Uh, beats things with weak damage and dodges or something.  Hits weakness against beast types!!1  Probably a Light?  Bane makes him a solid one at least.
Plot: Meh.  I guess interaction with Micaiah worked well enough.

Ilyana: Battle: Jeigan!  Kinda!  More like she just comes overlevelled.  She's pretty good for Dawn Brigade chapters, but falls off towards endgame, unfortunately.  Shade is neat and keeps her from being attacked too often.
DL: Owns Fou-Lu!  Obviously Godlike!  Seriously though?  Probably a Light, sadly.  ;_;
Plot: Eats stuff.  Seriously though?  I like Ilyana.  She's amusing.  Her complaining about the prison food being bad and taking her anger out on the guards was one of the best scenes in the game.

Aran: Battle: Eh, supposedly he's good, but I found him one of the weaker people in the Dawn Brigade.  Kind of tanky but not enough to make it worth it.
DL: Typical tanky Middle I think.  Impale should let him get that far at least?

Meg: Battle: Fucking failure.  That is all.
DL: I don't know her DL stats, but probably a Light.  Though the mastery should make her a decent one.  Damnit.
Plot: Fails.

Volug: Battle: Laguz Jeigan!  Is good at what he does at the time, but didn't seem worth using at endgame.
DL: Probably a Light.  Halfshift allows him to transform turn 1 at lowered stats, but that doesn't help a whole lot.  Especially since above average speed gets a free shot at him untransformed.
Plot: Meh.

Jill: Battle: Definitely one of the better units in the DB.  Dracoknights rule in general.
DL: Middle? Tanky+hits hard+decent speed?  Stun's a nice threat but doesn't come up.  This changes if she came with a Brave Axe (I can't remember if she did).

Tauroneo: Battle: Jeigan!  Same as Volug really.
DL: Middle?  Resolve is pretty hax and he's pretty tanky.

Zihark: Battle: Jeigan!  Actually not as good of a Jeigan!
DL: Light?  Unless he ends up better than I think.

Fiona: Battle: Someone said she's good if you can get her to promote.  A) That's hard as hell and B) she's not even good after promoting.  Her only use is Savior, really.  Though this does have its niche.
DL: Light/Middle?  That regen probably helps her be borderline maybe?  Might let her see a Sol in some cases?
Plot: Pretty cliche, but one I like.

Tormod: Battle: Probably would be decent but is NEVER AROUND.
DL: Light.  Mages got kind of screwed in the DL.

Muarim: Battle: Good for the map he joins on the first time, decentish the second.  Not too useful otherwise.
DL: Light?  I allow initial consumable items, so I think he can transform turn 1, but still, above average speed gets a free shot on Laguz untransformed defense stats.  And those fail.

Vika: Battle: Same as Maurim except sucks on the second.
DL: Light.  I think she only had Olivi Grass so opponents probably just kill her first.

Naliah: Battle: I think I founder to be the weakest of the four royals... but she still freaking kicks ass.  Or bites ass.  Actually that sounds kind of wrong.
DL: Godlike?  I don't know Savage's rate offhand, but seems like she has a good chance of seeing it since royal stats kick ass.  Again, above average speed gets a free shot, but royal untransformed stats aren't TOO bad, IIRC.

Rafiel: Battle: Lets everyone around him act again?  Yes please.  Needs a better move stat and Canto, but whatever.
DL: Puny.  For obvious reasons.
Plot: Meh.  He's a bit of a wuss.  And by "bit" I mean "lot".  Though it fits.

Black Knight: Battle: Is stupid powerful in part 1, sucks in the other map he joins on (crappy move haha).
DL: Uh... Godlike?  I think Eclipse had a good rate, and he should still be really tanky even scaled to his last appearance.  Oh right, Imbue.  Yeah.  Boss form is probably overall worse.
Plot: I liked Black Knight's plot for the most part.  It's cliche, I know, but it worked.  Also his frue form is a badass, which helps.

Elincia: Battle: Is silly wrong in part 2, and solid otherwise.  She doubled about everything, rarely got hit, and ate mages for breakfast.  Physical durability isn't too great (lol hp) but not terrible.  Also, Dragonfoe Elincia >>>> E-3.  It's been said.
DL: High Heavy.  Stun off of doubleacting is pretty hax.
Plot: Elincia's a badass.  I said it before, but I'll say it again.  She doesn't take shit from anyone.  Scene in part 3 where she tries to stop the Laguz Alliance and Daein from fighting was pretty awesome, too.

Marcia: Battle: Good peg knight, but I found the others to be better.  HOWEVER, Marcia is around more often and doesn't have to compete with as many people for deployment slots, which helps.
DL: Middle/Heavy.  Stun off of peg knight stats.
Plot: Marcia's always been awesome, but she doesn't have as many scenes.  "I'll sell him to you.  Cheap" is one of the best lines in the game though.  She still rules.

Leanne: Battle: Only affects two people, but canto makes her more usable than Rafiel.  Also, GODLIKE RES AND LUCK.
Plot: I love Leanne.  She's funny.  Lategame info scene (spoilers kinda but not really?):
Leanne: Micaiah, have you ever seen one of these?
Micaiah: Yes, Leanne, I have. That's a very powerful artifact. Actually, it would be of great help to us, with what's been happening.
Leanne: I found it inside the tower. Do you think I can use it?
Micaiah: Um... I don't think so, Leanne. But you can try if you like...
Leanne: ...I'm only kidding. Here, you can have it.
Micaiah: Oh, for me? Thank you very much. It's a very precious item. I'll make good use of it.
Leanne: Please do!

She's talking about a Guard scroll... (It's not like Micaiah makes a good Guard user either...)

I find this hilarious.  And she has other good lines too!
PS: She's pretty.

Neuluchi: Battle: Good for that map he's forced on.  Probably decent otherwise but never bothered.
DL: Light.  Wrath is pretty neat but I don't know if that's enough to swing Middle, especially with typical Laguz woes.
Plot: Meh.  No opinion either way.

Haar: Battle: Owns stuff.  In the face.  With axes.  He actually made my endgame team, so yeah.
DL: Middle/Heavy?  Same as Jill pretty much.
Plot: I like Haar.  He's lazy.

Brom: Battle: Uh, tanks?  Disarm is cool since it lets me steal stuff!
DL: Middle.  Disarm is more useful in the DL, but the rate's not too great.  Eats it to mages regardless.

Nephenee: Battle: Nephenee rules just as much as she did in FE9, really.  Wrath may have been nerfed, but it's still a nice trump card, even if Nephenee rarely needs it.  I gave her Vantage just for kicks and Adept, which turned out pretty well.
DL: Middle/Heavy: Fast, Tanky, and Impale has a good rate.  Not sure if that's as good in practice as it sounds.

Heather: Battle: Thief!  Better than Sothe, I found.  Less Jeigan uses but better otherwise.
DL: Light.  Same as Sothe really.
Plot: Is a lesbian.  Actually, she had a nice scene with Ilyana at least.  This makes most people better.

Lucia: Battle: Another Jeigan, really.  Though she's not too bad at endgame.
DL: Light/Middle probably?  Would have to check DL stats.
Plot: Lucia's pretty cool.

Mordecai: Battle: Good on 2-E.  Didn't seem too useful otherwise.
DL: Light.  Typical Laguz tank thing.

Lethe: Battle: Fails.
DL: Light.  Typical Laguz thing.

Geoffrey: Battle: Is pretty awesome, actually.  Overlevelled + Paragon + Brave Lance + good stats.
DL: Heavy.  Brave Lance should get him up there I think?
Plot: Geoffrey's all right, though I'm not sure why.

Kieran: Battle: Solid.  Certainly one of the better people in Geoffrey's crew.
DL: Middle/Heavy?  Did he get a Brave Axe?
Plot: What plot?  Oh yeah, Axe scene.

Astrid: Battle: NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERF.
DL: Light/Middle.  At least she has Sol.
Plot: Makalov fangirl.  This is not a good thing.  I need to hit an FE10 developer or something.

Makalov: Battle: Eh, he's kind of scrubby but usable.
DL: Light/Middle.  Sol.
Plot: Is a gambler.  Still.

Danved: Battle: Decent I guess?
DL: Middle.  Impale.
Plot: Is not Devdan.

Calill: Battle: Decent.  Access to all three elemental magics helps.
DL: Light.  Mage.

Ike: Battle: AETHER!!  With good stats.  And a kickass weapon.  Seriously though, Ike is pretty nuts.
DL: Middle/Heavy.  Aether got nerfed.
Plot: Like I said earlier, too much emphasis on IKE IS THE BEST GUY EVAR LOL.  Just gets annoying.  Ike himself is alright but I didn't even get all the Ike character hype back in FE9 so yeah.

Titania: Battle: Titiania rules.  Best paladin I think?
DL: Middle.  Sadly doesn't seem as awesome in the DL.  Uh, COUNTER HYPE?

Soren: Battle: Seemed kind of scrubby, really.
DL: Light/Middle.  REXCALIBUR and Adept hype or something?  I dunno.
Plot: Strategist.  He's alright now I guess.

Mist: Battle: ALONDITE WIELDING GODDESS OF DEATH.  Seriously, once Mist promotes, she is badass.  Also owns mages like nothing else.
DL: Middle.  Mage slaying at the very least, and Miracle might have some use maybe.
Plot: Mist has less cool lines this time around.  Sad.

Rolf: Battle: Archer but not very useful due to Shinon being better.
DL: Light/Middle.

Boyd: Battle: Hits things in the face with axes.  Actually pretty good!  More damage and less evasion compared to Nolan, IIRC.
DL: Light/Middle or something.

Oscar: Battle: Nerf!  Seems just worse than Titania.
DL: Light/Middle.

Shinon: Battle: Archer of death.
DL: Middle?  Maybe not even.
Plot: MASTER OF EVERYTHING yeah what.

Gatrie: Battle: TANK.
DL: Middle?  Tank + Mastery or something.  Eats it to mages.

Rhys: Battle: Typical healer + light magic user.  More useless due to Mist existing.
DL: Light.  Same as Laura really.

Mia: Battle: Mia is INSANE.  She never gets hit, ever.  Doubles everything.  And has good damage.  Definitely one of the best characters in the game.
DL: Middle/Heavy.  Sadly

Ranulf: Battle: Eh, he's alright I guess.
DL: Middle?  Laguz with a Stone.
Plot: Ranulf's pretty cool, I guess.  At least he uses his head.

Kyza: Battle: Never used him.
DL: Light?  Seems typical Laguz.

Lyre: Battle: Worthless.
DL: Light.  Typical Laguz.  Without stats.  Great combo there.
Plot: I don't remember Lyre plot.

Reyson: Battle: Canto Heron.  Also hits all adjacent units while transformed.  That's pretty awesome.
Plot: Kind of the opposite of Rafiel.  Guess it works.

Janaff: Battle: Seemed decent enough, but I'm not a fan of laguz in general.
DL: Light?  Think he only had Grass.

Ulki: Battle: Same as Janaff.
DL: Light?  Same as Janaff.

Sigrun: Battle: Sigrun is awesome in battle.  I don't know what people were talking about when they said otherwise.  Great evasion and speed, decent damage, and Stun.
DL: Middle/Heavy.  Stun off of peg knight stats.
Plot: I've always liked Sigrun.  She doesn't do a whole lot in either game, but when she does, it's generally good stuff.  Especially interactions with Sanaki in FE10's case.
Plus, she's pretty.

Tanith: Battle: Seemed a little worse than Sigrun to me?  They pretty comparable and I'll just chalk that up to RNG liking Sigrun more/her being higher levelled.
DL: Middle/Heavy.  Stun.  Peg knight.  Etc.
Plot: Tanith's cool as well, but less so than Sigrun.  And not as pretty.

Skirmir: Battle: Solid as an NPC.  Probably decent otherwise but I didn't use him.
DL: Middle.  Laguz + Stone + better stats.
Plot: Skirmir fails at first, but shapes up.  Works.

Tibarn: Battle:  Laguz royal, and probably the best.  Pretty much just destroys stuff.
DL: Godlike.  Tear is pretty nasty, and he has Pavise.  Above average speed gets a shot in untransformed, but Pavise helps a bit there.  And royal stats.
Plot: Tibarn's pretty badass.  Probably my favorite royal character-wise.

Naesala: Battle: Pretty much Tibarn with more speed and less tank.  Probably third best royal?
DL: Godlike.  Doubles everything ever, good evasion, and Tear.  Sadly has no defense against fast people going first.
Plot: Naesala... well, I like Naesala as a character I guess, but the plots surrounding him tend to fail at life.

Sanaki: Battle: Sanaki rules... iff you give her stat boosters.  Seriously, she starts out with terrible strength and not so great speed, but giving her boosters in those stats make her really good.  Still fails at taking hits, but she has a passable evade stat to help out there.  Giving her Shade's probably a good idea (I gave her Resolve instead though, which also works if she doesn't get 2HKOd).  Basically, the definition of magical glass canon.
DL: Middle.  +10 Def item + I allow leadership + unique tome should let her swing Middle.  Not a great one though.
Plot: Sanaki's archetype is cliche as hell, but one I've always been fond of.  And Sanaki pulls it off pretty well.  Angst toward the end was annoying but she recovered.

Stefan: Battle: He's decent.  Joins too late and has nothing special though.
DL: Heavy? Vague Katti is pretty nice, and I think he has decent stats.

Oliver: Battle: Kind of fails.
DL: Light/Middle.  Nosferatu but I think he's doubled.
Plot: Never been a fan of Oliver.  Interactions involving him are fun, Oliver himself not so much.

Bastian: Battle: Decentish.  Having staves is a bonus.
DL: Light?  Seems like a typical mage in the DL anyways.
Plot: Bastian is a smooth-talker.  That's about all there is to him.

Volke: Battle: Another thief.  Though arguably better than both the others.
DL: Middle.  Has actual ID, which helps.
Plot: I like Volke, he's a sneaky bastard.  And I mean bastard.

Caineghis: Battle: TANK.  WITH DAMAGE.  Yeah, second best royal I think?  Has an argument for first but I think Canto tips the edge to Tibarn.
DL: Godlike.  Unlike the other royals, Caineghis's defense pre-transformation is actually solid, and absolutely nuts afterwards.

Gifica: Battle: Didn't use him, but seemed like a slightly worse Caineghis.  Not that this is bad.
DL: Middle/Heavy.  He has a Gem, but no mastery (I think?).  Clearly Heavy if so (and maybe even Godlike).

Kurthnaga: Battle: Starts out kind of scrubby, becomes badass.  Also, Night Tide.
DL: Middle/Heavy.  No Mastery and skills hurts, but he's got stats and Formshift at least.
Plot: Meh.  Didn't care about him one way or another, really.

Ena: Battle: Blood Tide.
DL: Light.  Tanky but that damage fails.  Wishes Imbue was initial.
Plot: Same as Kurthnaga really.

Renning: Battle: Looked like a typical paladin?
DL: Middle/Heavy.  Same as other paladins I guess.

Nasir: Battle: White Pool.
DL: Middle?  Has a Gem, and the damage is solid, but the speed fails and he's not all that durable.  May not even be a Middle.
Plot: Nasir's... okay, I guess.

Gareth: Battle: Looked like Ena with more damage and durability?
DL: Middle?  Gem.

Bosses!

Black Knight: Battle: Eats Hammer.
DL: Uh... I dunno, Heavy/Godlike?  Don't have much respect for the HP, but defense is solid and Imbue exists.  Damage isn't too great unless Eclipse kicks in, which should have a decent chance.

Dheggy: Battle: That is a killer boss fight for an FE game.  I basically just had Kurth solo it while Sanaki hurled giant rocks.
DL: Godlike, I guess?  FE boss HP is made of fail, but that defense is pretty cracked out, and he has a 2HKO + solid chance of overkill.  Not a great Godlike to me, but I suppose he belongs there.

E-4 boss: Battle: Gimmick fight.  Pretty annoying but easy.
DL: Durability of FAIL.  Probably a Light/Middle.  Though I do allow the summoning trick, but I don't think that helps a whole lot.

Final: Battle: Gimmick fight of annoyance.  Not actually diffficult though.
DL: Less durability than Dheggy + less damage + no overkill?  Uh yeah.  Probably a Light/Middle?

Probably an 8-9/10 game overall.  Will have to see what else is in those areas first.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: July 25, 2008, 08:24:14 PM »
*looks up* Would you believe that Meeple stole my computer for a bit?  No?  Darn.

Etrian Odyssey 2 - Also finished (which should be obvious if you checked the stat topic forum).

Overall?  It's EO1+.  More polish, classes are more balanced, and it's harder.

My final team:

Protector (Nephenee): Massive tankishness.  Basically just tried to absorb as much damage as possible with Provoke/Fortify/En Garde while doing decent damage with Smite.  Anti-element skills also helped against some bosses.

Ronin (Anna): Physical damage nuke.  Really frail though.  I never fully pumped up Shiraha/Clarity so she never got frue evasion hax but oh well.

Gunner (Virginia): Physical damage nuke... from the back row!  Basically just a Ronin in the back.

Troubadour (Misha): Buffer.  Much nerfed from EO1 but still usable.  Damage fails though.

Medic (Cecilia): Healer.  Essential, really.

Others:

Landsknecht (Raquel): Actually I had her use axes since they're better.  Less damage than a Ronin but better at taking hits.

Survivalist (Natalia): Didn't use her much.  Survivalists lost Trickery so they don't seem as good.

Dark Hunter (Jessica): Whips.  Climax was useful for item farming, and Ecstacy looks nuts if you can pull it off.  Never actually needed it though.

Alchemist (Pamela): Also didn't use much.  Megido looks pretty good though, and Analysis + element is great if you can remember enemy weaknesses?

Hexer (Marivel): Revenge, Revenge, Revenge.  Only used her when I needed something dead fast, because ITD owns bosses like nothing else.  Pair it with Troubadour's Stamina or Crusade and it starts getting outright ridiculous.  Oh, debuffs and status are nice too.

War Magus (Fee): Also didn't use her much.  Seems like a hybrid attacker/healer with buffs.  Doesn't seem great in-game since specializing seems better than hybridizing but those buffs are pretty nice.

Beast (Teddy): Also didn't use this guy much.  Beasts are kind of scrubby in-game since their one good attack needs max Loyalty which is a death sentence.  They also fail at accuracy and speed, and their durability isn't that great.

Plot: ETRIAN ODYSSEY PLOT

Characters: ETRIAN ODYSSEY CHARACTERS actually the bartender got worse.

Also, the music kicks ass.

More people need to play this game.

Overall, probably a 9/10 like the first, but a better one.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: July 25, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »
MK - Chapter 5 assignments done early! Yay for X-Heals. Also, Quick Dream is total wtfuxhax. I love Anna already.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: July 26, 2008, 01:21:47 AM »
LoD - Replay finished.

Final -

Took a few attempts since I was going in with Haschel at 1HP for the Destroyer Mace effect but at first the boss kept on using an AoE magic skill and killing him. So I stuck back on the Legend Casque which had been replaced by a Dragon Helm. Meru goes first, uses material shield on Haschel, bosses uses magic attack misses Dart and Haschel, does piddly damage to Meru (I had Dragon Helm on her instead of LC, she needs it for this fight but she still took piddly enough magic damage anyway, Haschel uses Speed up then Power Up, Haschel gets started on the Omnisweep, Meru area of effects with Pysche Bomb X, Haschel uses another Omnisweep, Meru finishes off the tentacles with a spectral flash, Dart does stuff, Haschel uses his final powered up Omnisweep. Then I use a healing rain, attack and the boss goes into the next stage.

Pattern of boss using laser thingy and missing for a while whilst Meru and Haschel ran circles doubleturning Dart. Then boss stole Meru away which was annoying since Dart wasn't as fast at getting the damage in. At least Haschel was still around to keep some pressure on. Boss finally dropped Meru. Some more doubling from Haschel and the boss went into it's next stage.

This was I amusing because I poked it and it went immediately into it's final stage o-o

Final stage the boss kept on targetting with Dart which was fine with me. I used him to heal (even though I only had like one healing item left >.> I only went into the fight with two <.<) Meru and Haschel were left alone to continue their running circles assault.

RE: Piggyman -

Yeah I mainly used Meru's Rainbow Breath for any healing needed. Which wasn't much. Things died quick~

Infact when I reloaded my old file all I had in my inventory was five MoonSerandes and an Angel's Prayer >.>

Hmmm I mainly used attack item spam with Meru to begin with and the game gives plenty of magic spells as pick ups as well as attack items being as cheap as dirt ... As for equipment I tend to be a player that uses pickups like the Dragon Helm, the dancer's equipment, the bandit's equipment, the Energy Girdle for Haschel, etc. Meru doesn't really care about her weapon until Basher + Perky Step or perhaps Pretty Hammer for mad SP gain but for the most part don't have to worry about that for her. Pretty sure nifty weapons can be dropped/found for Haschel as well~
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 01:24:32 AM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: July 26, 2008, 04:13:58 AM »
neoFFL2 WITH MONSTERS!

Final Town Party.
HIME the MUTANT F
XENTHSE the WATCHER
FRAU the TEN-GU
KYOUSE the NYMPH

I tried getting P-Blast from WarMach but I got...

Instead. Good enough for me.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: July 26, 2008, 07:28:40 AM »
Wild ARMS 4: Arnaud solo the revisit.

All done and caught on tape! Only Incubator is missing from the regular game. We shall see how well Arnaud holds up against super bosses in the coming months.

FF7: Theme game.
Also done. I must say, the last battle certainly kept me on the edge for the first time. I took a party of Cloud/Cait/Tifa with the respective classes of Paladin/Blue Mage/Oracle+Fighter

Problem was, I forgot that after with the Curse Ring, the Death Sentence only works once. So Tifa lost her massive damage and was soon deadweight. Most of that fight was done through Cait. Doing both damage and healing really. I finished the fight with 1HP and 5 MP with Cait.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: July 26, 2008, 07:37:39 AM »
MK - C6 starts! And with a ton of free time. I must take a second and say that, besides being pretty hax in battle, Anna is also adorable. I just have a soft spot for neurotic people.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: July 26, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »
neoFFL2 with monsters: Game officially finished. Arsenal was a joke, mainly because of the two tier 5 monsters I got from consuming TianLung and Fenrir meat. I made a separate file for testing out all the new tier 5 monsters and their changes, and I will make a rant about that in the near future once I have time and patience to do it, especially considering Titania is incredibly hard to get. First thing's first - why is Arsenal so easy? Basically, Xenthse, who was a Lich, has this skill called Critical. It basically does "weakness" hits to every single damn thing in the entire game. Xenthse was easily doing 900+ damage apiece, and Arsenal has about 10000. Frau, the SlimeGod was doing WhiteOut which was doing decent damage as well. Kyouse who was a Squid was just sort of there. My Mutant was dealing damage but instead became a healer because Xenthse and Frau were doing so much damage it didn't even really matter. 1200~+ damage a round is pretty fast given this is the final. So yeah.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: July 26, 2008, 06:22:01 PM »
So I started a Rhapsody LLNA (Low Level No Accessories) game on Hard.  Turns out that the cats have a 2HKO.  And there's three of them.  Ow.  Also, Bobos?  Their bubbles attack is MT OHKO, though it's still inaccurate.  But there being three of them makes it likely to hit SOMEONE eventually.  And I'm not exactly shelling out stellar damage here.  After Bobos the bosses starting becoming incredibly easy though.  I'm not too far past that though.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: July 27, 2008, 12:47:56 AM »
Mana Khemia: Why isn't the cat the main character?

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: July 27, 2008, 12:59:45 AM »
FF1PSP: It's FF1 on the PSP. Besides the beautifully polished graphics, it's the same game you know by now. There's only a few minor tweaks, like the SoC bosses getting game specfic battle music. Still, it's a helluva lot of fun to blast through.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: July 27, 2008, 01:53:31 AM »

Because the game would explode from awesome.  Duh.  Same reason Pamela isn't, really.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: July 27, 2008, 02:05:06 AM »

Because the game would explode from awesome.  Duh.  Same reason Pamela isn't, really.

I take your Pamela and up it an Anna.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: July 27, 2008, 08:28:53 AM »
MK - Speaking of Mana Khemia! C7 free time shenanigans abound. God-damn, Trick Edge is awesome damage for Roxis (on average, 1.5x Anna/Nikki's damage? Yeah, considering those two are my next best sluggers, this is pretty impressive). The game is taking its gloves off on both the twinking and the enemy worth, which makes battles really awesome. Mmmmmm, ATK/MGK+ Ls...

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: July 28, 2008, 03:40:39 AM »
Got home from con.

At DLC2007 Hal gave me a Touhou disk which I hadn't touched.  Shockingly I found it in about 20 seconds (in the untouched Xenosaga case also from DLC2007).

Beat Imperishable Night Easy no-continues using..."Ym & Yy" (this old a version doesn't seem to have an English patch, so I'm not sure on their names).  Don't especially like them--it's weird doing pinpoint damage when unfocused, and the unfocused familiar is a pain to direct to good places.  I also assume that the focus damage is bad with the wide spread (though honestly it seemed to be getting the job done).

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: July 28, 2008, 03:46:52 AM »
There's an English patch for that one, but it's not on that disc.  You'll have to get it online.

Guitar Hero (1):  Beat all of Easy career.  Guess they couldn't get any master tracks for this game - all the singers sound terrible.

EO2:  Up to Floor 24.  Floor 23 was a lot of OH DEAR GOD RUN AWAY - I'll have to go back and finish mapping it later.  Colossus was a cakewalk.  I Force-ground against the Guardians outside his room because I didn't want to return to town.  Killed him in 3 turns.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: July 28, 2008, 03:50:50 AM »
GOOD. ****ING. GOD.

So, I got pretty far in my FF9 playthrough. Just finished Ipsen's Castle and headed towards the seals. So, I reach Lich. I decided not to use Quina at all (didn't even bother getting him for Burmecia). Lich opens by easily killing Quina with Blizzaga. Zidane was pretty overpowered, so I wasn't worried that he could kill me, not to mention, I had a Gaia Gear equipped. So, what does Lich do? He begins with a CRITICAL Double Slash, and then he decides he's gonna double me with a Blizzaga.

Oh, game over...

My last saved game was back in the Desert Palace.

I'm not even gonna bother replaying. On to something else. >_<
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: July 28, 2008, 03:57:56 AM »
There's an English patch for that one, but it's not on that disc.  You'll have to get it online.

Guitar Hero (1):  Beat all of Easy career.  Guess they couldn't get any master tracks for this game - all the singers sound terrible.

Yeah, they couldn't get any master tracks for the main songs until 2, and not with any certainty until Rockband. 

KoL:  Oh god damn it I'm still playing this game.  I should have gotten bored a while ago.  Fuck.  Oh well.  Still on my first Hardcore/Oxygenarian ascention with one character, almost done with the level 11 quest.  A little more than halfway through, in other words.  My other character just started his forth normal ascention, hasn't been anything other than Disco Bandit because the class kicks ass. 

Haven't really played much else, really.  Though that's more because I got bored of <i>other</i> games and have been doing other things, more than anything else.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: July 28, 2008, 04:08:03 AM »
Yeah--I was playing the English translation at DLC08 (different characters).

Oh, also, any reason why the con version was full screen while my version was windowed?

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: July 28, 2008, 04:14:42 AM »
Hey, Captain K, how many tiers of songs are there on Easy? I always wondered if they cut out the last tier on Easy like they do in GH2 but never bothered to snooze through Easy to find out.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: July 28, 2008, 05:20:22 AM »
No, they didn't start penalizing people for playing easy until GH2.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: July 28, 2008, 05:31:28 AM »
In the options menu, there's an option to play the Touhou games in either fullscreen or windowed mode, mc.