Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473062 times)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2675 on: July 28, 2008, 05:52:41 AM »
Got home from con.

At DLC2007 Hal gave me a Touhou disk which I hadn't touched.  Shockingly I found it in about 20 seconds (in the untouched Xenosaga case also from DLC2007).

Beat Imperishable Night Easy no-continues using..."Ym & Yy" (this old a version doesn't seem to have an English patch, so I'm not sure on their names).  Don't especially like them--it's weird doing pinpoint damage when unfocused, and the unfocused familiar is a pain to direct to good places.  I also assume that the focus damage is bad with the wide spread (though honestly it seemed to be getting the job done).

Ym = Youmu, Yy = Yuyuko.

And the focused damage is actually solid, even if it is spread.  Not as good as the unfocused damage, but it's not bad by any means.

Final Fantasy 4 DS - Just got Tellah.  Tiny Mages are evil and stuff.  Also, Rydia itemcasting an Ice Rod beats Cecil for damage right now.

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure LLNA - It's been really easy now.  I'm off on a journey~

Oh yeah.

The World Ends with You - On the last day now.  Supposedly.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: July 28, 2008, 12:06:08 PM »
That sucks Piggyman.

First rule of RPGdom - Be an obsessive saver and save at each save point. Always >.>

FFIX As well as doing the afore mentioned, I've played from outside Dali to just outside on the worldmap heading for Treno with Garnet/Marcus/Steiner. Picked up Quina before Burmecia and learned L3 Defenceless (>.>), Night and Pumpkin Head. Kept on trying to eat the Magic Hammer wielding enemies in Burmecia but they kept on dying way too fast even when I was trying to me easy on them (i.e not using Blizzara) Ice Staff from Gizmaluke is teh awesme, I forgot just how much pwnge Vivi is with early game Blizzara. Easily MVP damage wise even on AoE on those bug lizards in Burmecia.

Hmmm disc one seemed relatively short. More so than I remembered. Even with spending quite some time in Chocobo Forest playing Hot and Cold until I found all the chocographs there for now.

Reset the Festival of the Hunt because I remembered Freya obtained the Coral Ring which enables anyone to absorb thunder with it equipped which I definitely wanted more than 5000 Gil Zidane thanks.

"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: July 28, 2008, 02:52:38 PM »
MK: The Mysterious Transfer Student has arrived. He is very mysterious. Also, what the fuck, Koropok? I hope you're using the cash for liposuction. I'm just gonna call him Chunky from now on, because the first thing I thought of when his rumor shop opened up was Persona 2.

RadLink5

• Guest47103
  • Denizen
  • SOOOO zetta slow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: July 28, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »
Final Fantasy VI Advance - Just finished the Magitek Factory, got Mog.

Izuna 2: The Unemployed Ninja Returns - Wondering if I should have shelled out the extra ten bucks for Final Fantasy IV DS instead. (Not that I'm not enjoying the game)

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon - Disc has been inserted into Wii.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - Holy ****, I hate T-Rexs.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: July 29, 2008, 02:38:31 AM »
No, they didn't start penalizing people for playing easy until GH2.

Actually there is a penalty - you can't unlock anything by playing through Easy.

And there are 5 sets of 5 songs.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:41 AM »
25 songs, eh? Then they did cut out a tier, since there are 30 songs in the main setlist.

Is there a tier with Bark at the Moon in it, or does it stop at the Ace of Spades/No One Knows/Crossroads/etc one?
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: July 29, 2008, 04:14:50 AM »
Really?  I remember being able to play through the Tier 6 Songs on Easy, before I played too much of the damn game.  Maybe I'm misremembering, or the fact that I played on a friend's memory card skews my memory.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: July 29, 2008, 04:42:51 AM »
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon - Disc has been inserted into Wii

Do not sway me... I don't want to buy a Wii just for that....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2683 on: July 29, 2008, 08:32:53 AM »
Really?  I remember being able to play through the Tier 6 Songs on Easy, before I played too much of the damn game.  Maybe I'm misremembering, or the fact that I played on a friend's memory card skews my memory.

You can play them on Easy in Quick Play mode, but you can't unlock them on Easy, you have to do it on Medium.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: July 29, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
MK - C11, soooooooooo close. Meanwhile, I'm stacking unlimited Megingzors and Jade Tablets works on people. Bwahahahahaha 529 MGK Pamela and Roxis.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: July 29, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
Darn you Snow! *shakes fist*

CT wants ;_;

FFIX Replay- Eiko joined. Fun little game. Been rediscovering things I enjoy like Active Time events and the music themes. Reliving the power of the Odin/Atomos FMVs. Also getting back into the habit of equipment twinking. Picked up an Emerald in Cleyra so Eiko will be learning Haste next after she masters Fenrir. Yeah been moving along quite nicely so far except for Zidana's stealing rate being fail a few times. Tried for around half an hour to steal the third item from that thing that chases the team in Fossil Roo and never succeded. Lani was one hell of a fight too. Her speed on Active mode = insane. On full assault vs my party with her magic nukes + physicals/counters. Garnet/Vivi/Quina had to deal with her whilst Zidane tried to steal. Battle was nuts for quite an amount of time until Zidane finally managed to steal her third item. She even managed to down three PCs at once at one point. Fun.

Quina picked up Gremlin Punch and White Wind on the outer continent so far. Been keeping up with the Mognet and helping out Stiltzkin too. Was holding too many letters at one point, didn't throw any away though. Sadly I missed the ATA with Quina and the chocobo egg. On the subject of Cleyra - as well as discovering an Emerald could be picked up there for early use by Freya and Eiko - I lost Dan's wife. I wonder if there was anyway to really save Dan and his wife Hmmm. Probably not though since it seems like everyone you did save from the blackmages gets nuked by Odin anyway >.>
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:33:53 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: July 29, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
Can't find MK in the U.K. or something, CT?

MK: Recruited Bizarro Luke and Tallychu. Yaaay. (Alright, so it's more like they recruited the party. Same result).

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: July 29, 2008, 06:24:55 PM »
I must have done that, then, and not actually played a career until I was out of easy and then my memory got all fucked up.  Ah well, whatever. 

KoL:  Hardcore Oxygenarian for my first hardcore run was a stupid decision.  Spending 3 fucking days trying to unlock the pyramid, and still not having done so because the RNG screwed me?  Lame.
You can play them on Easy in Quick Play mode, but you can't unlock them on Easy, you have to do it on Medium.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:57:41 AM by Zenthor »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: July 29, 2008, 11:33:41 PM »
Alter Code F: Ship Graveyard. This game feels too suspiciously like WA3-, for all it has some notable things it does better at (such as map searching for plot places being made basically irrelevant.). Still, WA3 without the medium system would kind of suck gameplay-wise, and this is what ACF is. It also doesn't help that the translation makes me think that most of the game is comprised of idiots (No part of the game should remind me of Shion.)

Crest magic is awesome at least, although I was stupid and bought Lucky Hit right away when I can't kill anything with it ever, then held onto it until now, where I traded it in for another stock elemental spell. I tried messing with Alter Parts some too, but since I don't know if placing them is permanent or if there's enough for everything, I just placed one in Boosted Shell and left it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:56:30 PM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2689 on: July 30, 2008, 10:44:14 AM »
Soul Calibur 4: Quick impressions-

Raphael seems like he'll be better once I learn how he changed. His prep stances have a little more variety and he can mix his moves up move. His critical finish (think "other guy turtles too much and you can insta-kill them") is rad TO THE MAX.

The Apprentice is stupidly overpowered.

Yoda is great at ROing himself.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: July 30, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »
MK: 1x Roxis get. 3x Roxis angst get.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: July 30, 2008, 03:12:05 PM »
Currently rumbling through G3.

Just beat Merc and the Jungle Dungeon.  The plot...  given Emolicious' premature balding, I'm assuming the real reason he's doing all this is because Xorn is just what you need to grow your hair to bushy fullness, with a possible side effect of complete nutbar insanity.  It's more amusing than taking any of this seriously.  Especially after the idiocy that is the end of the Jungle Dungeon.  It's like Aeris popping up out of nowhere when Cloud's about to beat Sephy and gets shishkabobbed AGAIN for her efforts.  I then get to spend the next half an hour with the script writers soundly slamming a fifty pound anvil upside my head.

Gameplay, on the other hand, continues to impress me.  I've finally broken down and have started to consider my items, and the power there is absurd.  Especially the stat boosters and the MP/SP restoration.  Granted, only 9 max is a troubling limit, but it's one that doesn't get run up against if you're prudent.  However, the real reason I'm enjoying it is because it really does feel like the game is trying to kick my ass, and you have the tools to deal with it, if you just notice what the tricks are to exploit the enemies and think about how you fight.  The Merc Crystals and the Hydras being two fights which I just really enjoyed, despite nearly dying.

Anyways, not sure how close I am to the end (for some odd reason, the flying thing that reminds me a lot of SoA doesn't feel like a final dungeon) but odds are it will be reached soon.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: July 30, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
Nono, Excal. The feeling should be you wanting to slam 50 pound anvils upside the writers head.

FFTLW: Did the super Argath battle at the con. It was sort of lame, the fight was entirely about walling the Argath and there wasn't a ton of tactics involved. Oh well.

A good quick way to beat the battle is to slap autopotion/108 gems/defense up/autoprotect on Orlandu. Argath can't overcome that (14 PA, using Durandal as his sword). Ribbon+Chantage+suicide build fighters work extremely well there too- I bet a Draw Out Black Wizard would seriously kick the shit out of the zombie swarm for example.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:45:29 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Idun

« Reply #2693 on: July 30, 2008, 04:42:57 PM »
I've been pretty busy, so I put my video games aside for a bit. But now, when I finally get back in Suikoden Tactics, Talaysen tells me keeping characters instead of letting them die gives your group a larger pool of skills to pick from. I've already let three characters die . . . I feel no remorse.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: July 31, 2008, 12:50:42 AM »
Super Argath fight can be walled better than that Super.  Hamedo, Undead (Via Cursed Ring or an Oracle I guess), win.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: July 31, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »
Still got to handle Blood Suck as well.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: July 31, 2008, 07:14:21 AM »
FF4DS: Completed!

Game was overall and improvement and fun stuff, but did a few retarded things I'll bring up!

First off, endgame difficulty spike.  No, the entire final dungeon doesn't need to involve MT 2HKO damage spam off durable, fast, randoms that resist Holy.

Character balance of the final team is even LESS balanced.  Cecil is god, Rosa heals, everyone else felt kind of there.  Rydia's charge times are too high to make her really the kind of cannon you want, Edge explodes to magic, Kain too until Dragon stuff (most things he resists), and otherwise, lacks damage.  The dungeon wasnot balanced well for going in there UNTIL you got Dragon Equips and Protect Rings (stuff that resists most of the big MT damage.)

Augments needed to be able to be unequipped.  Can't see a logical reasons for this.  You can't see WHAT an Augment does until you use it and see its option as an ability. This leads to annoying saving and reloading to know exactly what it does, and if you donm't like how it works after playing around with it, you can't remove it and give it to someone else for whatever reason.  I fully support the idea of augments, mind; FF4 NEEDED something like this to make it interesting, a degree of character customization to make the game less static...but why augments couldn't be removed I haven't the foggiest.

CPU fight.  Stupid cause they made Beam Barrage too good.  I do like the idea of the reversal they pulled in FF4DS compared to the original (Kill the attack node instead of defense one, and yes, spamming your MT magic is a good thing here!)

Otherwise, the game was generally an improvement to FF4 in all other ways.  Bosses were more interesting as a whole, especially the Fiends Redux cause it felt like you were ACTUALLY FACING THE FIENDS AGAIN instead of characters who had the same sprite but didn't really do much barring use a few of the same moves (example is Cagnazzo Redux just hurled Tidal waves, whatever, how boring.  Cagnazzo Redux?  Does the exact same thing the original fight did with the Building up Waves and such, and all the same moves, just scaled up in damage and abilities (like Rubicante now uses Firaga instead of Fira))
Zeromus was actually a neat fight.  Kicked my ass the first time (though WOULD have won if I had more Elixirs!), second time, knew what to expect...and learned a quirk with Big Bang that I won't share cause it spoils the way you treat that fight.  The final Meteor stage basically can be summed up as "Rocks fall, everyone but Cecil dies, Cecil tanks from there."

The game telling you status hit rates was awesome; yes, like an SRPG, you can see the hit rate of a status attack against a respective enemy! You just don't know if its going to work or not until you cast it due to immunity.  Thankfully, the game is nice enough to tell you "No Effect" when a status is immuned, ala FF9 and FF10 saying "Guard" or whatever.  Game's Libra was cool except that it needed to tell you elemental resistances, not just Absorptions.  Similarly, game needed to not kill a turn when you swap equips.  FF2 (Remake anyway; I THINK Original had limited weapon swapping due to how inventory was handled), FF3 (both Original and DS), original FF4, FF5, and FF6 all let you swap weapons on a fly, and its hardly overpowered.  Why should you have to suffer cause the game bit you in the ass? Mrf, annoying.

New plot things...uhh...
GOLBEZ NOW HAS A REAL NAME! Also learned his life sucked or something.  Being able to see it the way they did, with a controllable flashback thing ala FF6's Maduin section, FF7's famous flashback sequence, and BoF2's Valerie arc was neat though.
Kain failed even as a kid.  "You're a noble whose favored by the king, I HATE YOU CECIL! *Smack*" And then Cecil takes the blame in front of Rosa despite it being entirely Kain's fault.  Um, yeah, game just secures the fact that Kain fails.
They really needed to not name Kain's father "Richard."  Its bad enough they retconned his name as "Richard Highwind" in FF2 Dawn of Souls, and that the little kid who was suppose to be his step son was named Kain (apparently, this was ALWAYS the FF2 Dragoon Child's name), but did you really need to throw that easter egg in there <.<?  Ok, don't really mind, except that I *KNOW* idiots are going to take that scene at face value and go "OMG FF4 IS RELATED TO FF2!!!"
Kluya looks nothing like Cecil.  Why do I care? Cause FuSoYa in every single translation I've seen has explicitly said to Cecil "You look just like your father!"  They could have AT LEAST given Kluya blonde hair!

(ok, it was Ricard, but his name was actually Richard, just Ricard was used for space purposes I believe.  Same difference in any event.)

...yeah, FF4 PLOT!  Well, replaying it DID remind me that nowhere in the game do they hype Cecil as being this almighty powerhouse like I remembered; just Golbez muses that Cecil's a bigger threat at first, later undermined by Rubicante saying their power comes from their ability to work together as a team.  Yeah, hate these "CECIL IS GODLIKE POWER!" fanboys at specific boards, will hold that against them should I hate myself enough to get into another plot power argument.

Anyway, probably a 6/10? 7/10? Hard to say.  It was doing well, but that last section of the game was just handled so poorly in terms of balance.  Things were well until they decided Rydia's good stuff needed to have ridiculous charge times, Rosa's healing must be timed PERFECTLY and she can't take hits, and Edge is just pasted by everyone and everything (Kain could be twinked for elemental resistance before Dragon Equips, though this compensates his physical defense; not a huge deal if you give Cecil Draw Attack...which you should.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: July 31, 2008, 07:37:58 AM »
FF3DS - Apparently some local idiot decided it would be fun to chain up the airship so the LIGHT WARRIORS MKII or whatever can't go and look for the Earth Crystal and they need new boots to reach him.  Yay.  Lineup is Knight/Ranger/WM/BM.  Game is pretty fun, although the encounter rate is a bit high in my opinion.

Hoshigami - Started this out of boredom/curiousity, then stopped about midway through the first battle.  The RAP system can go eat a dick.  Coins look like fail too, though I'm not in much of a position to judge that at this time.  I'll probably stick with it, if only to determine if I'll hate it more than Beyond the Beyond.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: July 31, 2008, 07:39:57 AM »
Hoshigami - Started this out of boredom/curiousity, then stopped about midway through the first battle.  The RAP system can go eat a dick.  Coins look like fail too, though I'm not in much of a position to judge that at this time.  I'll probably stick with it, if only to determine if I'll hate it more than Beyond the Beyond.

Nothing can be worse than Beyond the Beyond. Nothing.

Hoshigami's something that's generally disliked, but I like the characters! I... guess... >_>
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: July 31, 2008, 07:44:58 AM »
ACF: Obtained a Jane and a Magdalen. Along with this I of course obtained a couple million gella courtesy of stolen MP Repairs since I don't feel like being fair to the game~

FF4DS: Obtained an Edge. OK is very right on the condition of Rubicante's legs.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]