imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473034 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2800 on: August 06, 2008, 01:11:54 AM »
I don't even remember honestly. They've been idling all game.  I just finally smashed up Arby (Dark Knight at night=haha), going to definitely use him. What's the best formation to use for Archer units?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: August 06, 2008, 01:14:36 AM »
Kamikaze can be done against ranged units if you have some one with good movement speed. Charge in and use a sp or super move before they can fire (When they are in the animation). If they aren't dead then your commander will get a hit at them which should waste some of them and then super again for the win. This is what I do when Jackel has to face ranged units because of his lack of meatshields.

Jackel is very broken not just because of his game best stats but his movement speed on the map also. I mean 12 when the average is like 5!

My vote for best goes to Zeo (I think his name is) though because he is beyond broken in a fight if done right.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: August 06, 2008, 01:20:17 AM »
Best for archers is using either Def or Basic, something that keeps them in good formation. Then choose the Wait tactic and let the enemy come to you. Once they're in range, your units let fly with the arrows/bullets. When they get close enough, you can change it to Crush or Target Commander.

EDIT: Just remember that Archers work on Int
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:36:27 AM by Hunter Sopko »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: August 06, 2008, 01:42:47 AM »
..Well shit that explains some stuff. Thanks. I've generally been boosting just power and sometimes defense. Should I be boosting other stats as well?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: August 06, 2008, 01:50:40 AM »
Played the first twenty minutes or so of Grim Grimoire. Wow is this not something that interests me. I may keep going a little bit, but... this does not seem like my thing at all.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: August 06, 2008, 01:52:21 AM »
It's better than it looks. (It's also extremely short). It's worth playing for Advocat alone.
-------------------

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: August 06, 2008, 03:35:30 AM »
G3 - Egg fusion, dear god. DEAR GOD.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: August 06, 2008, 04:26:03 AM »
Cruuuussshhhhhhhhhh
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: August 06, 2008, 05:44:00 AM »
Played the first twenty minutes or so of Grim Grimoire. Wow is this not something that interests me. I may keep going a little bit, but... this does not seem like my thing at all.

If the gameplay really starts getting on your nerves, set it to the easiest mode and just stomp it quickly and watch the plot.  It takes like 10 hours to finish on that difficulty.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: August 06, 2008, 07:09:51 AM »
..Well shit that explains some stuff. Thanks. I've generally been boosting just power and sometimes defense. Should I be boosting other stats as well?

As a note, you can tell what stat units work off of by the icon next to STY in the troop type screen of the commander's stats. A sword means Power, a staff means Int. You can also learn what type the commander is on the third page in the attributes column. Notice for Demon Knights that they actually work off Int, but the commander works off Power. This is where the weapons that give 4 Power and 5 Int come in.

Power- One of the primary offense stats. Either this or Energy affects the completion time of Fortification.

Energy (Defense)- Physical Def stat. Appointing landlords high in this will enable towns to shrug off magic spells that lower Fortification and troop numbers cast on them.

Int- One of the primary offense stats. Also affects the completion time for Invest.

Psych- Magical Defense stat. Appointing landlords high in this will enable towns to shrug off magic spells that lower Market and sap SP cast on them.

Speed- Increases movement speed and frequency of attack. DOES NOT speed up the attack animation though.

Charm- Increases probability of recruiting prisoners and enemy commanders. Also helps the success rate of alliances (not that they're useful).

Luck- Increases probablility of finding something good on Search. Search Star Points, Caves and Towers with high luck characters for Event chests which contain troop/class change items and legendary weapons. The one you can find right away is the Holy Hammer at Malolo, a cave near Rudora. 11 Atk Holy Axe.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: August 06, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »
Fire Emblem DS - Do I call this FE11? I mean, it's yet another remake of FE1.

... a very well polished remake with tons of modernizations and new features, at that. Up to C4, and things are getting fun fast[though that's really like 8 maps in due to the 4 map long prologue]. I'd go into detail, but my brain is a little fried right now. Needless to say, I'm having fun. Savepoints in battle is odd and I'd prefer FE10 style battle saves, but they work.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2811 on: August 06, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »
I started playing Heroes of Might and Magic 5 again, because I'm on a strategy game kick lately, but somehow, I feel like I wanna play Arcanum again.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: August 06, 2008, 12:27:07 PM »

If the gameplay really starts getting on your nerves, set it to the easiest mode and just stomp it quickly and watch the plot.  It takes like 10 hours to finish on that difficulty.

Seconding Tallychu and Super here. Cutscenes eventually prove worth the trouble even if you don't like the gameplay.

MK: I was wondering how they were going to keep Flay with the party. Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway, onwards to chapter nine.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:44 PM »

As a note, you can tell what stat units work off of by the icon next to STY in the troop type screen of the commander's stats. A sword means Power, a staff means Int. You can also learn what type the commander is on the third page in the attributes column. Notice for Demon Knights that they actually work off Int, but the commander works off Power. This is where the weapons that give 4 Power and 5 Int come in.

Power- One of the primary offense stats. Either this or Energy affects the completion time of Fortification.

Energy (Defense)- Physical Def stat. Appointing landlords high in this will enable towns to shrug off magic spells that lower Fortification and troop numbers cast on them.

Int- One of the primary offense stats. Also affects the completion time for Invest.

Psych- Magical Defense stat. Appointing landlords high in this will enable towns to shrug off magic spells that lower Market and sap SP cast on them.

Speed- Increases movement speed and frequency of attack. DOES NOT speed up the attack animation though.

Charm- Increases probability of recruiting prisoners and enemy commanders. Also helps the success rate of alliances (not that they're useful).

Luck- Increases probablility of finding something good on Search. Search Star Points, Caves and Towers with high luck characters for Event chests which contain troop/class change items and legendary weapons. The one you can find right away is the Holy Hammer at Malolo, a cave near Rudora. 11 Atk Holy Axe.

One note about the Charm stat.  This is only from personal experience, but it appears that appointing a landlord with a high Charm lowers both the cost and the time for Fortification, Invest, and the R&D modifications, terrain modification and building. 

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: August 06, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »

Alliances can be useful. In fact there is one chaptor where you basically can't pass without making them.
Also alliances are useful for one thing. They ignour all enemy forces you pass. Meaning say you could get to the enemies capital but three units are in a square in front of you blocking you then you make an alliance and you can bypass them to attack the main base.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: August 06, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »
What do you mean, one chapter you can't pass without making them?  I've only got three scenarios left that I haven't done, and I've never needed an alliance, and one of those scenarios is just the other half of Gena's story.  Unless it's part of Aquamight or Beasts Arcane, or really late in Liberation Army, I'd have to disagree with that statement.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: August 06, 2008, 08:59:03 PM »
Its on the other half of gena's story. You can pass it without making alliances but it'll be a lot damn harder. You'll know you're on it when you reach it is all I can say without spoiling it.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: August 06, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »
I played Duty and I never needed alliances for it. It wasn't that hard. What part do you supposedly need one for?

Can't say I've needed them for other campaigns either.

for the Charm thing, I always thought it was the Int that lowered costs and building time for those. Never noticed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:36:29 PM by Hunter Sopko »

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: August 06, 2008, 09:36:59 PM »
Try the Love path and you'll see.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: August 06, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
Oh, well, Yakko did the Love path. So his words still stand.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: August 06, 2008, 09:52:14 PM »
Spoiler ahead but if you got past chaptor three or hell the intro scene of gena's story you shouldn't be surprised.

Actually now that I think on it I think its actually of the duty path. Some one will have to remind me on this. Its when all the dragons show up.

Wait so you didn't make alliances and got battered by their spells Yakko.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:56:23 PM by Rozalia »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: August 06, 2008, 10:00:08 PM »
G3 - Egg fusion = cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunch. 3HKOing Kornell/Violetta is fun for all the family.

Speaking of Violetta? "Oh, Emelious-sempai-kun-chan, kill me like that it's proof that you love meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee <3<3<3 lessthanthreelesthanthree" is all I can say. Also, the love thing has gotten past the "impossible to swallow" stage and delved into "this is why I quit that faith in mankind thing" territory. This is worse than Pocahontas.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: August 06, 2008, 10:29:42 PM »
Yeah, all the Dragons showed up for me. No biggie. I smashed them anyway.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: August 06, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
Planescape: Torment - Apparently a guy with amnesia teams up with a sarcastic floating skull in order to find his memories.  In the meanwhile, they fight crime.

No clue as to what I'm doing, so I'm pretty much running around like an idiot trying to solve everyone's problems.  At least the game doesn't pull that whole YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH crap, and it seems to realize when people have hit a dead end.  This alone makes it better than Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: August 06, 2008, 11:08:57 PM »
Yeah, all the Dragons showed up for me. No biggie. I smashed them anyway.

Yeah thats what I was talking about. Alliances are useful on that part because it means you ain't getting bombed every turn several times over.