Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472981 times)

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2900 on: August 12, 2008, 05:52:51 PM »
Yeah, if you don't have the stats for Dak'kon's extended dialogues he's not that necessary to keep around. And if you're a Lawful Good Fighter then Vhailor can actually buff you up a bit by going through some dialogue. The more Lawful you are, as I recall, the better the bonus he gives you is.

Interesting that you were finding yourself short on cash. I don't think I've ever really noticed myself having that problem in Torment. But I guess if there's one area where it's likely to happen, it'll definitely be the Clerk's Ward, so fair enough.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: August 12, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »
Marissa C has sort of the same trick as the Sakuya (sp?) and her vampire lord in Imperishable Night with locking familiars.  It's shorter range, which I can deal with....and it also takes like a full second to unfreeze and move, which drives me crazy.

Actually, taking a second to unfreeze can be a good thing if you get used to it.  Means you can unfocus and refocus quickly and still keep the familiars in the position you want them.  This is godly for the final card, for example.

Granted, the opposite has benefits as well, so eh.  It's more just different than worse.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:13 PM »
Not having Friends cheese available when you are a fighter makes cash a bit harder to get.

You are about to go through the part of the game that has the most fighting that can't be avoided via dialogue El Cid for what that is worth, but this means nothing.  YOu can pretty easilly steamroll Torment combat through endless zerg rushes if you want.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: August 12, 2008, 10:07:32 PM »
Finished Deus Ex. Got all three endings. Grefter appeasing +1
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: August 13, 2008, 03:11:43 AM »
General thoughts on it?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: August 13, 2008, 04:05:16 AM »
ToV- The game is really getting harder than I thought, the hard mode is almost unplayable, especially if you don't want negative grades all over the screen. They really really tune up the enemy's attack frequency this time, and nerfing the PC's recovery time in general.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: August 13, 2008, 04:43:36 AM »
NxC - Rose joins, Ryu rejoins now with 100% more Branch system abuse off his stupid attack and Sylphie seems to have finally joined for good! Life is awesome and the game continues to thoroughly weep. Now, if only Stahn/Rutee would learn Bloody Rose already.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: August 13, 2008, 04:59:38 AM »
FFT - Replayed this. Shock! Awe! Did a two-person file with Ciato while she was here. No restrictions, though the highest-end cheese (Math Skill mostly) was avoided. MP Switch and Auto-Potion were okay, though we didn't brave-twink.

My character was Elfboy (Ramza), Aquarius, went Samurai then over to the mage side, mainly Oracle. Didn't ultimately use any Oracle skills until Altima (Don't Act and Life Drain) but they were awesome then at least! Also had Move-MP Up from Oracle, and MP Switch. Yes. It is immensely cheap as advertised, though only 74 brave and giving up Teleport hold it in check a little. Speaking of which, also had Magic Attack Up and Teleport at times. Weapon Guard for most of the game pre-MP Switch, it remains a quietly solid filler reaction. Item for much of the game while in Samurai, since Item rules.

Samurai remains a pretty neat project class. It is not fun to be in, but it really takes over lategame. Instantaneous, magical, no-MP damage that gets around basically every form of defence is nice, and it kicks increasing amount of ass as magic starts tailing off (not that magic ever really gets bad). The Kiku/Muramasa options are terrific. Murasame is also great healing, and Kiyomiri is an outstanding defensive move. The skillset combines well with Teleport to boot, well with Auto-Haste, and is just generally solid. While the massive accession woes keep it from being in the top five classes, it's definitely in the second five.

Two Hands Oracle, which I contemplated doing, is... well, not useless, but feels inferior to a Draw Out Oracle (who will have a Wizard Rod) and takes... well, less JP, but not -that- much less. So not very good I guess, though still super cool!

Ciato was pretty much a stock beatdown machine, which is good because with my dicking around in Samurai we couldn't have survived Chapter 2-3 with anything less. Summon Magic, Holy, Teleport, Magic Attack Up, Auto-Potion... pretty much the cheapest set of things to own the game with outside Math Skill. Early Black Magic, too naturally. Ramuh wins battles singlehandedly for a good long while, and is probably the best single action skill in the game if Phoenix Down isn't. Strengthen MAU MA-boosting 4-ct large-area IFF death. Besides that, got Titan/Shiva for element coverage, Moggle, Odin, Golem, and Lich later. Odin didn't see too much play (given the 108 Gems use, Leviathan would have been a bit better, but realistically no Short Charge hurts the big summons a lot unless you beeline for them) but Golem and Lich were naturally terrific at least once or twice. Although Holy 2HKOed Velius anyway.

Also a fun fact about her character. We wanted a Taurus to go with her zodiac sign, and the very first generic we hired... was a Taurus with 67 brave and 69 faith. And 199 chemist JP (the random range is 100-199). And 180+ in most other things (Squire and Wizard in particular). Hax.

Hard battles... well. Chpater 1 was generally a cakewalk, we had one reset in Zeklaus Desert/Lenalia Plateau/Fort Zeakden though. Chapter 2... a little trouble with Bariaus Hill and Goug Machine City, a little more with Bariaus Valley oddly (though it involved things like the Lightning Bow hitting Bolt 2 something like 6 times in 8 attempts). Execution Site was a slow but manageable slog that we actually won on the first attempt, Lionel Gate was one reset, and Queklain was 2-3 and a sign that zodiac demons were going to be a problem. God damn he's fast.

One reset on Olan (USE GALAXY STOP YOU MORON. Also he hates Armour Break, -85 HP), then we got into an easier spell. Only Izlude (two resets) with his horrific Jump damage and decent support gave us any trouble (two resets?) until Yardow. Yardow then proceeded to be the hardest battle in the game, giving us six resets. The Summoners hasting the Ninjas would be a very, very bad thing. Ninjas and Summoners were both extremely dangerous and annyoing to pin down. After that, one reset against the undead of Yuguo Woods, and Riovanes... wasn't too bad. Only Velius killed us, and only four times! We'd have won earlier, except apparently Ramza breaks ties with Velius for turn, which is bad, as we wanted Velius to cast Titan on Ciato, then me Kiyomori her so she survives. Eventually I was able to monkey with Wiegraf to go just after Velius, and we pulled this off. Two Holies killed him, Elfboy had to act as bait round two but this was easy enough. Roof we beat first try thanks to Elfboy stripping.

Chapter 4... well we died once to Meliadoul, her support is nasty if you don't kill her fast, and we screwed up the formation so that happened. Besides that early C4 is easy. Then Balk and Bethla produced three straight multi-reset battles. Balk is a dirty whore who is too fast, the Bethla battles both had too many icky archers and otherwise put us on the defensive fast. One reset on Poeskas Lake, one on Zalera (the easiest Zodiac, but still not trivial as Elfboy was OHKOed with Flare 2 on the first attempt). Adramelk, at five resets, was the second hardest fight on the playthrough, as we both had bad Zodiac with him. Killing him fast was totally impossible, but all his status nonsense meant the reverse wasn't true. Baited him into just enough damage to win eventually, although we won through massive luck anyway. Elfboy survived a Flare with about 5 HP when he was the last PC left. The only reason it was Flare and not Holy was because Protect/Shell wore off on the EXACT CLOCKTICK that Holy would go off but Flare wouldn't, and Holy would have killed. Crazy. I didn't even figure this out until now, figured him casting Flare instead of Holy was a weird AI glitch (I'd never seen it before).

After that... Murond Holy Place we got mega-haxed, as the Geomancers hit us both with Petrify and Stop before we moved. Uh. Um. ;_; Rest of Murond was easy, as was the final dungeon until Balk, and even Balk was surprisingly not too bad. We played defensively, killed the Hydra/Tiamat/Chemist with Draw Out and Ice spells, and eventually struck at Balk with Kikus when the time was right, avoiding the big bad Dark Behemoth. Then came Hashmalum, who tied Velius for third most resets. Surprising, but oddly he was a fair bit harder than most everything else in the game. We both had bad zodiac with him, but again that didn't stop his own offence from being sick (why does he have 13 speed? ;_;). Granted Auto-Potion failed four times in a row for those four resets. <_< Basically did something similar to Velius with using Kiyomori to survive his opening assault, then laying into him. Eventually started using Black Costumes to avoid Spell nonsense, and Angel Rings so that him kiling us once wasn't too bad. Two Liches and he was done, though the hit rate was none too good thanks to zodiac. Altima, finally, took... two tries? Three? Not as bad anyway. Altima 1 was the source of all the challenge, a good gravity assault took care of 2 along with Angel Rings/ AI abuse with our reaction abilities. Mostly had to make sure the demons didn't become too relevant.

Overall yeah, lots of fun, it is FFT, and two person is remarkably balanced for experienced players.

Mario Kart Wii - Played a lot of this the past two weeks too, but not much to report about it.

F-Zero GX - Got this in San Francisco, yay! Also played a bit of Xer's copy. Seems mostly like X with a few more features added. Which sounds awesome to me, and I can't argue with an $8 pricetag.

MMX - Played this with Ciato at Gate's. Hate the spider. I was pretty woefully out of practice and failed it up so much at Sigma-1's platforming Gate had to step in for me. In my defence I was extremely tired and a bit sick.

Wild Arms XF - Finished Part 4. I'll probably save most thoughts until I'm done the game at this point (very close), but it looks like it's headed for high 9/10 with the promise of improving if it has any replay value at all. Awesome. Final boss of Part 4 was intense, as were most boss fights in the chapter. Charlton is quietly better than 90% of RPG villains, and the rest of the cast is varying shades of okay to above average outside Ragnar who is awful (and Chelle/mummyboy, as his foils, are also bad). Gameplay is of course pure win.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: August 13, 2008, 05:13:50 AM »
Played and finished GOD HAND.

I dunno, a game like this falls under the "most awesome game ever" and "most retarded game ever" at the same time.  One second you're kicking unholy amounts of ass, wiping the floor even on level die.  Then one little random fuck up like getting stunned when you really shouldn't and oh fuck there goes your ENTIRE health bar and good luck getting those stupid boxes to drop anything except 200G (I never had money issues the entire game).

GOD HAND is hard in a stupidly unbalanced way, but completely playable with infinite continues.  Compared to Ninja Gaiden which I played (which is much harder) and beat, Gene moves like a freaking retard, the radar is completely useless and the so called backflip never seems to dodge those ridicious throws.  I think I had to reload a couple of saves because I didn't get the right drops from boxes.  Yeah right getting past 6 guys at once with no God hand or roulette orbs.  Bosses are pretty cool, even if the demon forms of the Devas are much easier than their human counterparts and Devil Hand is very fun, challenging and not retarded at the same time.  I had some awesome luck on the final with some 3 orb skull cards drops so I just spammed Double Shaolin 5 times for an easy win (on level 3, so close to Die ;_;)

I was going to replay it, but it seems you start all over with nothing but the moves/power ups unlocked for you to buy all over again.  Kind of stupid, since the really good moves cost way to much and by the time you get them it's probably already Stage 8.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: August 13, 2008, 05:19:39 AM »
Disgaea 2: Completed!  Yeah, I more or less blitzed this game, but it moves fast, is short, and generally lacks the idiocy of the first game to turn you off.

The last few chapters had some...really killer Geo Panel set ups.  One of them I was ready to strangle something over was the Enemy Boost x3 over almost the entire field.  I stood staring at the map for a while thinking "No, they did NOT pull this shit from Dis 1 again"...until I noticed there entire right side of the map (relative to starting point) didn't have any Geo panels, nor did the north side, and realized what was actually intended, which ended up being not too bad, for all that it took longer than I'd have liked.

In general, the game is Disgaea 1 with loads more polish on gameplay.  No weapons, barring maybe Bows but that might be because only my Cleric was using them (who was healing a lot, of course) felt useless.  CHaracters who fall behind can in fact catch up a lot easier, Healers and Support Characters can actually gain levels now, which...made fights a lot easier.  Dis 1, I felt like my entire team outside of Laharl and Gordon was running on one Life bar; if they lost HP, it wasn't worth restoring it.  Laharl and Gordon were well ahead and stronger than everyone else that I'd be using items.
Here, using a steady healer really adds to your survival!

Geo Panels were handled so much better, its not even funny.  I won't get into too many specifics, but one thing that stood out to me was the way it handled Enemy Boosts.
No more Enemy Boost x3/6 Bullshit, UNLESS the chapter had some other quirk.  This quirk could be "every enemy is a Prinny" or "there are very few of these panels, just avoid the enemy snipers on them!" etc.  You know, ways that use them without being "Race to the Geo Panel, destroy them using some trick the game doesn't tell you about!"
For chapters with universal enemy boosts...it was merely +50%.  This made enemies tough and powerful, but they weren't OHKO Machines that mocked your damage.  Felt more like enemies had an obvious advantage, but muscling through wasn't impossible.  Ideally, you want to kill those panels, and finding the best way too was part of solving the fight, but yeah.  Enemy Boost +50% is fair, Enemy Boost x3 IS NOT.

Plot and Character wise, though, game was clearly worse.  Adell is kind of boring as a main, honestly.  The tough kid with a heart of gold, etc.  Yeah, ok, whatever.  This is so disappointing after they pulled off Laharl so well in Dis 1.  Which reminds me; Laharl's appearance in Dis 2 was kind of disappointing.  It...seemed to completely ignore the development he gained in the first game, and just made him "He's evil and overpowered!"  I appreciate the cameo, of course, but they could have done more with it or something.
Rozalin was decent! But that was about it.  Taro and Hanako were kind of annoying at times (demon kids! one is a Rozalin fanboy, the other is an Etna Fangirl, neither are particularly funny about it!), Yukimaru is a one joke show, Zenon is a total lamer...Oh! Right! Etna still exists, and she's...more or less unchanged...which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Oh, Axel was funny at times, but he's still no Mid Boss.

I dunno; Dis 2 felt like it was trying too hard to be funny, where as in Dis 1, it was a lot more natural.

Overall, a considerably better game despite the clear lacking of plot and humor value compared to the first game.  The gameplay, despite being nothing more than subtle changes here and there, is just too much better.

7/10 game overall, probably.  I'm not a major fan of the battle system at its core, but the game was still fun enough diversion and such.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: August 13, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »
WO - Shu path's first stage is depressing and sucks, so I decided to try for the SW route instead. This is a load of fun, Nobunaga and Toyotomi are horrendously broke and the maps are intense and fast-paced. Getting all those shiny PCs doesn't hurt either. Random question, though: is Okuni worth anything?

Smashy

• Random Beep Generator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: August 13, 2008, 08:14:30 AM »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: August 13, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »
Roof we beat first try thanks to Elfboy stripping.

YES!  My favourite strategy in a strategy game ever strikes again.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: August 13, 2008, 09:27:35 AM »
WO - Shu path's first stage is depressing and sucks, so I decided to try for the SW route instead. This is a load of fun, Nobunaga and Toyotomi are horrendously broke and the maps are intense and fast-paced. Getting all those shiny PCs doesn't hurt either. Random question, though: is Okuni worth anything?

General consensus that Okuni is a brutal, brutal boss-killer. She has great juggle potential and her charge combos are just really good at crowd clearing, very safe to say that Okuni was an integral part of my squad in WO.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: August 13, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »
Disgaea 2:

I'll just leave this here.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: August 13, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »
Yeah, I loved finding that line.

PST: Acquired 1x backwards modron. As expected, I find Nordom highly endearing. Now in the ominously-named Curst, which tosses EXP at you like candy. Just met Trias; time to run around killing guards to get his sword, I guess.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: August 13, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »
FE9: Up to C17. Oliver is delightful levels of creepy toward the pretty Reyson. Uh yay gay furry overtones?

PC wise, I mainly just use Ike/Oscar/Boyd/Soren/Mia/Marcia/Mist/Volke/Nephenee/Jill/Astrid, with Kieran and Gatrie added in as the map permits. Astrid is very happy she comes right before two chapters with immobile bosses, on that note~, as I was about to give a kick to the hype there. As is, it's valid and the Knight Ward is awesome~.

Also, map 13 needs death for everything I hate in a FE game. Timed with treasures! Worthless generic soldiers! Level 1 recruits who get killed turn 1 sitting right by the enemy! Yeah, that's a fun map~
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Idun

« Reply #2917 on: August 13, 2008, 08:27:52 PM »
I finally beat Suikoden Tactics. I'm aware that I should have used every bone in my body to finish a 20 hour game in a couple of days, but it cost me 3 weeks of my life I'll never get back. I believe my end game time was around 30 hours, L38 (@ end of final battle), and literally a good 12 of those hours were stunted by idling my PS2 because something on my computer becomes a lot shinier, I immediately forget its existence and move on.

But I sat down and played it. Beat it earlier this morning around 5 o'clock because of my insomnia (Read: good for beating games). I'd probably give Suikoden Tactics a 6/10.

Gameplay: Short, sweet, a fundamental sRPG of sorts, that I'd like to call it. Fundamental in terms that it really just presents the basics of strategy playing besides being able to change the affinities of panels to give characters/enemies an edge, buffers, etc. The actual amount of characters are rather useless, as is in the Suikos that I've played. The only reason this became a hassle was when actually hunting enemies for money and having to disband PCs only to have to scroll~ then pick the characters you frequently use enough times for them to be in the top queue. Archers were by far the most useful in the game.

My team was normally Kyril, Andarc, Flare, Seneca, Corselia, Wendell, Kika and Jewel. I didn't play Suikoden IV, so I never had clear data. Kyril sucks until the last couple of stages in the game which isn't negligible considering mass hordes of monster fishies ready to bite. Andarc had the Thunder Orb and Flame Orb equipped with B Level Thunder and B Level Flame, and was definitely beneficial to the team when the NPCs in the latter battles begin setting up massive affinity fields of thunder or fire (I never knew it would work out that way, since I really only noticed those moves in the last two battles). Flare was there either for clean up or charging, as was Seneca and them together are proven to take down even the highest DEF enemies because of archer win. Corselia, though I despise her in-game character, was useful to me because of her healing capabilities. That and when hordes of enemies decided to pack together like idgits, she'd Breath of Ice'd them out and my PCs OHK'D them {technically not OHK, but whatever}.  Using Wendell was a shoot in the dark - he was actually the only character with high Speed that I was interested in and began leveling him up around Terana Plains and he eventually reached 34 or so being pretty good. I don't quite care about unbalanced moves and I never equipped him with anything other than armour, Mega Medcines and multiple kinds of affinity effects because of his movement and speed . . . I liked him. And I liked Jewel. They pretty much encompassed the battlefield, getting items etc, or having the ability to fly in and help when needed. Granted, I stopped mounting Jewel in the last three stages of battle.

So I suppose I'd give the gameplay a solid 8 without delving into Missions because I never did any, and any other sorts of customization because it's easy to go through the game as-is.

Music? Totally didn't notice the music was good until the last couple of stages.

Characters? I never found any redeeming qualities for the characters besides Seneca, or their reasoning or their backstory backstory of all backstories constantly brought up in the story with no story so I'll just give the characters a 6.0. Also, the plot twist with Yohn in the last minutes of the game = super fail, poorly executed and just . . .  boring.

Story? I hated the story. I hated its premise. I hated how pretty much every character important to the story had a backstory of a backstory that was never described in-game without tiny snippets - so Iskas, Corselia's mother, her father, everyone just . . . just. I hated the story. God I hated it. And fighting Iskas in the last two battles made me want to scratch my fucking EYES out.

Avg. 6.0 {not numerically, just how I feel, yo}

Now I'm onto Final Fantasy XII. Started my game up at the Barheim Passage, only to get owned a couple of times (but not die!) because I completely forget the battle makeups, controls, etc. But I'm getting a hang of it. Now I need to cross the Estersand to get back to Rabanastre and see whatsa'goin'on.

So I'm proud to say that as of today, pretty much the possesser of my final few days out of college and during the summer, I have offiicially beaten these games as of May:
Suikoden Tactics 6.0
Dawn of Mana 8.0
Shadow Hearts  9.0
Shadow Hearts Covenant 7.0
Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose 8.0
Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra **** (Win, besides the last few hours of story and Shion) 8.5

Now I'm onto Final Fantasy XII. After that I have my games stacked in the order of processing that I need to do this semester, then I shall get on with Lost Odyssey on the 360 and finish Folklore on the PS3 and get that sRPG that's out for the PS3 that I never heard of. I opted to beat all my PS2 games solely becasue it just felt wrong to go onto other gen games without beating the ones I invested more money into.

My current queue list:
Roque Galaxy [10 hour file currently?]
Wild Arms 4 [20hr file, currently]
Grandia III Final Dungeon
Dragon Quest VIII [absolutely no file yet, just bought it to buy it]
Star Ocean Til the End of Time [final dungeon; never beat because I stopped and had absolutely no clue where to go, or what I was doing in the last part of the game besides cooking up shit, therefore I can't even faq it because I'm too hackneyed from the game to remember any search terms]
Persona 3 [absolutely no file. Same as DQVIII]

And that's it! Huzzah! VICTOLY~

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: August 14, 2008, 01:17:42 AM »
Finished PS:T. The last few hours, in summary: freed Q from prison, recruited Vhailor (leaving poor Dak'kon stewing in Curst prison; I can't go back for him, can I?), confronted Trias and suggested he return home and ask for forgiveness (then watched Vhailor kill him anyway), then headed for the Fortress of Regrets to end things.

Ran through the TO sequence a whole mess of times, just to explore all the options. Concluding it via combat, dying through combat, resurrecting allies and then combat again, self-destruction, and then the actual "good" ending where merging and resurrection of allies takes place...and the game locks up on that last one, every time. Oh, the program's not freezing, or crashing, exactly--what happens is that shitty pathfinding causes it to stall because Vhailor can't figure out how to get around the other PCs and talk to The Nameless One. So the cutscene just sits there, waiting for him to reach me, and he never does.

...What.

Okay, so, for reference, does anything else happen in the good ending after the conversations with the other PCs? Or does it just cut to the Baator sequence and the credits, like the other endings? I suppose if I really wanted to see the good ending straight through, I could reorganize the party so that Vhailor would talk to me first and not get stuck on other people (the resurrection order clearly proceeded in the same order as the PCs were in the party lineup before entering the fortress) and then run through the Fortress of Regrets again. The scenes there were uniformly awesome, and it would take no time at all knowing where to go. Still, that's gotta be the lamest reason ever for a game to lock up.

~

It says a lot about PS:T that even a bonehead error like that barely dents my opinion of it. Writing/characterization/plot are the best I've ever seen in a game, no question. The hype is accurate: it is totally worth enduring some clunky mechanics for the cast and dialogue here. "What can change the nature of a man" indeed.

As for the individual characters? TNO/Morte/Annah/FFG/Nordom are all great, Ignus/Vhailor less so. The latter two do a splendid job of being totally bonkers and disturbing (Ignus much moreso than Vhailor), but that's about it. Missed out on a bunch of Dak'kon's convos, and didn't take him with me to the endgame, so I feel less qualified to talk about him. Somewhere between those two groups, I'd say.

As an aside, TTO's life (existence, I guess) must be the most tedious ever. Chilling in the Fortress of Regrets for all eternity, hoping no one shows up? Yeaaaah. But whatever, he's a total dick anyway. Also: I never was able to use the bronze sphere, though I have an idea of what it does from looking at a FAQ. Someone want to toss me the spoilers in a PM? Background between TNO/Ignus too, because I know I missed that.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: August 14, 2008, 03:00:46 AM »
ToV- Gah, they should really have documented on the timing that determines between Fatal Strike and Fatal Strike Chain. They are not coming out the way I wanted them too. Everything seems just to end up as FSC instead of FS, this is really getting annoy.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: August 14, 2008, 05:58:15 AM »
Eternal Darkness: (Re)started, picked the sanity god, finished the first two chapters and found the text of the third. Fun stuff as always, although the controls are even clunkier than I remembered.

Edit: Also started Ocarina of Time on the Zelda super-deluxe bonus disc. It's fun.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:45:48 AM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: August 14, 2008, 06:02:53 AM »
Crisis COre: Working on MORE MISSIONS!!!

Though, finally got some stuff that mattered.  Namely, got Break AP limit (who cares), Break MP Limit (could be useful...if I was boosting my own MP by an amount that mattered), Break HP Limit (yay!) and Break Damage Limit (yay more!)

Due to this, eventually broke down, took all my mastered HP++ Materia's, fused them together, added about 5 Fat Chocobo Feathers in, the result? 600% HP!  Zack now has 28k HP at level 57 or so, whee!  Though, game has been liking to throw status at me more often, so I've been constantly putting on Sprint Shoes, Safety Bit, etc. based on what's been killing me...I want a Ribbon if that exists, so I don't have to constantly micromanage equips ;_;

Also finally used Quake Materia...um, wow, outside of its inability to hit flying things, that's completely cracked out.  First use did over 9000 damage and I'm hardly twinked for magic much.

Also used Costly Punch after getting the Brutal item...99999 damage, at least now I know how I'll deal with that one Magic Pot in the future!

And lastly, CLOUD WON'T SHOW ME HIS LAST DMW SCENE >_<.  I just need to get him, Cissnei's, Aeris', and the Magic Urn (which I'll probably get while working on Cissnei's) to max out the DMW.  Argh! Damn you Cloud *shakes fist*
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: August 14, 2008, 06:46:56 AM »
Just to tell, you want 250 for your states when fighting Minerva. 240 still might get you overkilled.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: August 14, 2008, 08:38:05 AM »
NxC - Stahn/Rutee learned Bloody Rose. The end.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: August 14, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »
I will tell you if you want El Cid, it isn't anything actually huge for the player (The game -deliberately- doesn't tell you the big spoilers itself) and either is the actual cutscene for the good ending.  There is like maybe a soft "What can change the nature of a man" whisper in the bacground at the start of the cutscene and prior to that TNO tells everyone that he has got what is coming to him (FFG says she will look for him).

I can go indepth if you want, but I actually reccomend just letting the game chill for a year or so and replay it as a mage sometime, stack wisdom and int (up to 21 for Int will do I think off hand, capping wisdom is good).  Experience it for yourself first hand.