Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472926 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3150 on: August 30, 2008, 09:47:54 PM »
WotLK: Got a Beta key a little while back, Death Knights are hilariously overpowered at the moment.

Fuck you fuck you fuck you.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: August 30, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »
Scourge Strike's getting 5k+ crits.  At level 58.  It's gonna get smacked by the nerf bat soon, but still.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: August 30, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »
The original valid and believable is based on something Niu said.

Yes, Niu is completely valid in proving Yaoi!

...yeah, to Niu, any male character is yaoi bait, even the biggest heterosexual pimps can be twisted into yaoi bait in HIS eyes, so that's not exactly proving your point <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: August 30, 2008, 10:40:22 PM »
Chaos Wars- Was expecting to beat this with my last day of TV in the apartment, but Wave kicked my ass pretty badly. I underestimated the extent of which he could spam his super, which is almost criminal. Still, mostly my fault as I had two opportunities to beat him and botched it. Once was completely failing a For the Children, and the other was choosing the wrong spell for Alice to cast. Oh well.

Wild Arms XF- No TV has lead me to play this at length again. Almost done with Chapter 2. 2-9 gave me a few resets, as I barely ran out of time twice, but other than that it's been pretty much smashing everything. Cheesed the generator battle by Turn Shift-Warp with Labby. At 2-14.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: August 30, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »
GL5: Rockbein = nothing can stop the Juggernaut. Seriously, can anything in his chapter even break his regen?

Anyway, on to Fanille's chapter. Wow, Isaac's a grumpy old bastard. Gotta say, it's nice being able to build a party from level one again. I'm much more likely to remember what people can do when I build their ability trees myself.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: August 30, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »

...yeah, to Niu, any male character is yaoi bait, even the biggest heterosexual pimps can be twisted into yaoi bait in HIS eyes, so that's not exactly proving your point <_<

Meep: what you just said WAS Dhyer's point, I'm pretty sure. He's not saying "Niu said it, it must be true!" he's saying "Niu said it's yaoi and you're all just taking that at face value here?"

At least that's how I read it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Dhyer.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: August 30, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »
Hey, if you like to claim that you're the expert in homosexuality here, that's your thing, but this is something I'm willing to trust Niu on.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: August 30, 2008, 10:52:43 PM »
I don't think expert necessarily means the one who mentions it the most.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: August 30, 2008, 11:34:29 PM »
Wait what?  You want to be in the beta Rob?  That is like the last thing in the world I could possibly want personally.  I hate levelling enough that when I am doing it I at least want it to count.  I am having a lot more fun with things conceptually looking at how they are trying to do things and what the expected direction is and/or how they could balance things if they were not shifting direction with things.  Once again, the best parts of WoW are not actually playing the game, but the meta game.

NWN2 - Finally finished it.  The ending bit with Garius was alright, it felt a little contrived, especially if you were to play an evil character to that point (Oh this guy is trying to convert my party members to his side.  I will just stand here while he does that instead of putting the first traitor to the sword as soon as they show any sign of weakness.  Why yes Qara I appreciate your babble about Sand or whatever, here have a blade in your tit), but eh it works well enough.  I want to move on to Mask of the Betrayer, buuuut BG2 beckons strongly right now.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: August 31, 2008, 12:23:14 AM »
ToV: Hey a Mystic Arte boss!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: August 31, 2008, 01:33:39 AM »
Wait what?  You want to be in the beta Rob?  That is like the last thing in the world I could possibly want personally.  I hate levelling enough that when I am doing it I at least want it to count.  I am having a lot more fun with things conceptually looking at how they are trying to do things and what the expected direction is and/or how they could balance things if they were not shifting direction with things.  Once again, the best parts of WoW are not actually playing the game, but the meta game..

I need to be in the Beta because I'm my guild's main tank and they are basically tearing out and redoing the entire Paladin tanking workings. So if I don't get a grip on it my entire guild suffers.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:35:14 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: August 31, 2008, 01:36:43 AM »

Meep: what you just said WAS Dhyer's point, I'm pretty sure. He's not saying "Niu said it, it must be true!" he's saying "Niu said it's yaoi and you're all just taking that at face value here?"

At least that's how I read it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Dhyer.

I meant that with Niu, any male is believable and valid yaoi-bait, as long as the male is young and attractive. Alternately, the other explanation also works pretty well too.
...into the nightfall.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: August 31, 2008, 02:22:00 AM »
ToV: Hahahaha, fuck the end of Act 2.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: August 31, 2008, 04:33:21 AM »
The beta isn't in a stable condition with regard to tanking mechanics anyhow just yet.  Your guild will get more bang for its buck with your presence in game now than it will with you playing a highly fluid beta.

Edit - That is to say, if you want to stay up to date on the specifics of stuff, MMO-Champ/whatever you stick with like it and EJ forums are still pretty much the best to bother with.  You can glean general info from wikis.  Actual play isn't going to help tons other than getting a feel for what to face roll on which you will get from levelling or doing instances anyway.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 04:35:21 AM by Grefter »

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: August 31, 2008, 05:09:12 AM »
Well, if you need one, here's a link to the Beta forum index: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/index.html?sid=2000

And... well...  http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=9336665205&sid=2000

Might want to take a look at that thread, it's one of the bigger changes they're planning, and it's pissed off most of the community, from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:18:21 AM by Unoriginal »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: August 31, 2008, 06:09:30 AM »
The beta isn't in a stable condition with regard to tanking mechanics anyhow just yet.  Your guild will get more bang for its buck with your presence in game now than it will with you playing a highly fluid beta.

Edit - That is to say, if you want to stay up to date on the specifics of stuff, MMO-Champ/whatever you stick with like it and EJ forums are still pretty much the best to bother with.  You can glean general info from wikis.  Actual play isn't going to help tons other than getting a feel for what to face roll on which you will get from levelling or doing instances anyway.

My guild isn't doing shit because I'm the only officer who isn't in the goddamn beta, I should also add.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: August 31, 2008, 06:26:23 AM »
Also, all tanking will be lol faceroll if you spec for it. Managing Threat is COMPLICATED, and complicated is not for the New WoW.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: August 31, 2008, 06:52:28 AM »
Starcraft: so I have a 0% win record against people from the RPGDL so far (played Laggy multiple times, and Carthrat once).  It's funny, because random people I've played from GameFAQs and random people I've played from TF2 forums have a tendency to be much worse at Starcraft than you'd assume from their posturing (notable from GameFAQs: a few of the people who defended Starcraft to the hilt on Board 8 during the games contest...such as Ulti).  I'm used to being better than a good 80% of the people whom I meet on forums.  (Terrible against randoms on Battle.net, but you get Koreans on there and stuff).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: August 31, 2008, 06:57:34 AM »
Ehhhh, I wouldn't go so far as to say they are dumbing stuff down.  They are removing a lot of complexity, but a lot of it wasn't good complexity.  Stacking percentage based buffs are the things that gave us retarded things like BC Locks and the spread in possible rogue DPS that is entirely independant of player skill not to mention fucking Ret pallies taken as a whole during BC.  And to be frank the debuff situation was getting out of hand, they either needed to address it by increasing the cap on number of debuffs (With all the bandwidth and hardware stress increase that brings) or reducing the number of debuffs players could do or had to do.  There is a lot of streamlining taking place in Wrath, but none of it is super bad stuff in my opinion.  It makes for FAR easier balancing on Blizzard's part and to be honest, I think it will allow them to try different things with encounters because of it.  WoW has never been complicated anyway, there is just differing variations of Get out of the Fire/Get in the Fire, stand no where near each other/stack on each other and a DPS threshhold you need to break for the vast ammount of the content.

Speaking as someone who plays on Oceanic server, I am very pleased they went with the route they are persuing at the moment of making less of the debuffs stack.  The last thing the shitty hardware our servers are on needs is more stress put on them and an increase in required bandwidth may not be a huge deal, but I appreciate anything being done to keep my ping down to a playable level as possible.

Added bonus, it meshes with 10 man content so much better as well.  It really just has been interesting and fairly justifiable design choices so far which is more than I can say for almost all of the design decisions I watched them make since I started playing in BC (I have an idea, lets nerf this so it effects PVP less.  FUCK YOU).

Edit - Oh yeah disclaimer, I am going exclusively with the 10 man path come Wrath, so I might be a bit biased there.  I know at least 14 other decent players, not 29 or so I would need to do 25 mans again without head desking.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:00:05 AM by Grefter »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: August 31, 2008, 07:00:08 AM »
Personally, I'm pretty pleased. They're cutting back on the number of stats I need. Here's what I needed to worry about pre-WotLK:

Stamina
Armor
Block Value
Block Rating
Dodge
Parry
Defense
Spell Damage
Spell Hit
Melee Hit
And yes, even Expertise.

Compared to WotLK, where I need:
Strength
Stamina
Armor
Defense
Dodge
Hit Rating

Anyway, tanking will always be hard as long as most DPSers are retarded. It's the only part of the game where you fight a raid boss and 24 other people all at once.

EDIT: Gref, my guild is also going for just 10-mans. We used to push through 25s at a decent rate but then when we started clearing through TK people who we'd geared jumped from our guild to the top guilds on the server who were farming BT. At that point we realized we probably shouldn't give a shit.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:05:01 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: August 31, 2008, 07:08:44 AM »
Fudo, how was you on getting secret mission on bosses? If you get them all in one playthrough, you can get one of Yuri's alternate costumes.

As for Yuri yaoi.... For those who can read it......

ユーリ「そこ、くったっぱないように気をつけろよ。」
フレン「心配無用、君こそ、よそ見をしてたら足元にすくわれるぞ。」
ユーリ「お前があまりにいい男だから見つめちまってよ。」
フレン「何馬鹿な冗談を。」
ユーリ「ほろ、動揺してる場合じゃねぞ。」
フレン「動揺なんてしていない。」
ユーリ「隠すな隠すな。」
フレン「真面目に戦えよ!」
ユーリ「これでも真面目だぜ。」
フレン「話かけると集中できないんだ!」

And it is proven that I am not the only one who had the controller fell off of the hand because how openly this scene sales out to the yaoi audience.

ToV- Taking time finishing all the side quest and such. Messed up a very early step on Judy's lost spear quest, gotta start that over on the second game. And the lottery machine throw out enough cash to let me complete those costly events. Now, only the Mint costume quest and the cook off event is left.... hmm? Flynn is the ridiculously bad cook this time? And Yuri can actually stand that cooking....? This is love I say.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: August 31, 2008, 07:53:34 AM »
Fudo, how was you on getting secret mission on bosses? If you get them all in one playthrough, you can get one of Yuri's alternate costumes.

I know, I was going 2/2 at the start then FUCKKKKKKKKKKK the wolf boss.

Do you know where to find Red Star Gems or Cheagle Fur?  People on GameFAQS say Lake Niffel at night for the fur but I must be missing something.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: August 31, 2008, 09:38:12 AM »
DQ8 - Prince Charmles in a nutshell:

The picture above is pretty much the academic, scientific definition of him.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:45:26 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: August 31, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »

Do you know where to find Red Star Gems or Cheagle Fur?  People on GameFAQS say Lake Niffel at night for the fur but I must be missing something.

Super Star Red is over at Sadorag Islands during night. Gentlemen Desuno is indeed at Niffel Lake, but you can only land on there after final dungeon appears.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: August 31, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »

Super Star Red is over at Sadorag Islands during night. Gentlemen Desuno is indeed at Niffel Lake, but you can only land on there after final dungeon appears.

Ah, thanks.  *off to grind for GLORY!*