Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472918 times)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3175 on: August 31, 2008, 11:04:34 AM »
Extra note, all the special Gentlemen enemies appear only in night or stormy days. Other times you only see regular Gentlemen. Hell, most enemy that drop rare stuff are in night.

Also, abuse Repede for Fatal strike chain to increase drop rate. He has couple of attacks designed just to you spam for it.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: August 31, 2008, 12:54:49 PM »
GL5: Fanile's chapter done. I'm pretty sure she approaches Shion level for ratio of Plot Intelligence to Actual Intelligence, but at least she's not a bitch. Better taste in clothes, too. So, researching a way to generate power with fairies? I'm sure nothing bad will come of this plan later.

Onwards to the main chapter. A couple points:

A: Melvina is the sexiness. VA contributes a lot here. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn >>> most.

B: Grangalians are such whiners. "You guys won't let us take over the world, wah wah wah!"

C: One of the generic Grangalian soldier battle quotes is "Die in obscurity!" ^.^

D: Loligoth of Ominousness is in danger again! Man, how many times can you save the same person in one game?

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: August 31, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »
Subterranean Animism Normal:

WTF?
I've been performing terrible with characters I feel I'm good with, and then I get to Stage 6 with Marissa C (whose mechanics I hate) and with Reimu B (supposedly worst character in the game) I not only get to Stage 6, but make it further into the final boss than I have with anyone else (seriously, I was not that far from 1cc-ing SA Normal, but only with Reimu B o_O).

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3178 on: August 31, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »
Wild ARMs XF- Also finished.  there will be some spoilers here.  However, due to their nature, they can mostly be protected by small-capsing names.  Still, read at thy own risk and soforth.

I have no idea why I spread this game out over... 5 months or whatever, since it was generally better than what I played in between.  I guess I missed consoles after a few months of thriving on handhelds.  Anyways, the game just got better and better as it went, as you got more ways to break it yet, somehow, things almost but not quite kept up with you.  this is probably strongly helped by endgame bosses going insane in the speed department, fighting the general trend towards insane turn hax somewhat.  Otherwise, I dunno, just a solid SRPG with enough variety to always stay interesting and just enough enemy competence to make the insane broken feel rewarding.

Plotwise... oh, what can you say.  I tend to like WA cheese, despite the questionable dialogue the plot concepts often appeal to me, and XF is no different.  In particular, points raised by Excal have lead to some nice conversations, so I have to give it some credit.  Just... um, the cast doesn't really measure up.  They're not bad, but despite going to some length to give every character a foil villain and all that, it felt like going through the motions on a lot of levels.  Although certainly the King worked great at his role, and the villain cast was pretty effective as a unit and not too bad individually.
So, moving on.

Clarissa- They, uh, completely overdid it I think, so she's like if Virginia had SO2-esque VA and was cranked to 11.  Still not without her moments.  DL-wise, definitely a Heavy.  People seem to underestimate just how hard 120% or so speed is to overcome, and even some bosses are subject to Rob Turn (ones with bare-minimum status protection, certainly.)

Felius- More than anyone else, Felius felt the lack of quality in the VA.  Hard to make a judgement otherwise.  DL-wise, tanky physical slugger, pretty typical for that breed of Middle.

Labby- Amusing, at least.  Had the best counterpart, so had some good scenes there too.  Light, though, solid damage off, uh, y'know.

TONY- Doglike.

Levin- I felt kinda bad for him, by the end.  Typical "oh which one!" sort of stuff, except they both just ignore him entirely.  Sad~  Levin for Godlike though, his speed is immense and just... Turn Cancel until they die from it.  It's pretty spoilable (being faster than him is hard, but evading Turn Cancel or just countering his ass?  not so much.) but still effective.

Ragnar- grraaaaahhhhh.  Heavy.  Why does Ragnar get Hyper?  And actually hit things in the DL?  I have no bloody idea.

Alexia- Y'know, only really good scenes were owning Clarissa's foil.  I don't get it.  Granted, Edna, I guess.  High Middle of some sort, the initiative turn lets her spoil many status whores, and the damage is competent.

----
Y'know, it'll be less effort and spoiler guarding to just say that all the bosses are some flavor of godlike.  All I really miss out on is antihyping Felius' foil, but that's been done before anyways.  Well, that and just saying "what the hell is wrong with the final boss", but that's also been done.  6k HP is crazy, Exhaustion Strike is damned good for that fight.

Some flavor of 8/10.  Good, would browbeat people into playing, etc.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3179 on: September 01, 2008, 12:35:45 AM »
GL5: Fanile's chapter done. I'm pretty sure she approaches Shion level for ratio of Plot Intelligence to Actual Intelligence, but at least she's not a bitch. Better taste in clothes, too. So, researching a way to generate power with fairies? I'm sure nothing bad will come of this plan later.

Onwards to the main chapter. A couple points:

A: Melvina is the sexiness. VA contributes a lot here. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn >>> most.

B: Grangalians are such whiners. "You guys won't let us take over the world, wah wah wah!"

C: One of the generic Grangalian soldier battle quotes is "Die in obscurity!" ^.^

D: Loligoth of Ominousness is in danger again! Man, how many times can you save the same person in one game?

Fanile gets some pretty decent scenes later, with one or two lines of dialogue that are actually good - this particular scene is missable, so be careful if you want to see the little bits of quality that GL5 has to offer. Ignore her whole 'intelligence' thing, cause yeah, she just -doesn't- have common sense.

Melvina is teh sexiness, but she has some Anise-like fail moments later on, unfortunately. Ignore this and you generally have a decent character. Apart from Melvina and Fanile, the rest of the cast just feels -there-, but can:t go wrong with parlor-magician archaeologist and buccaneer politician-guy! Who said costume design can't make up for personality deficiency?

B&C: Awesome. I LOLed. Wait until you get to the Futon Dog-collecting sidequest (which you -must- do to get all the playable characters IIRC), the translators decided to get 'creative' with the dogs' dialogue.

D: Please ignore Loligoth of omninousness forever. Also, ignore the entirety of the screaper plot (hard, I know), and you might be able to find some worth out of GL5's plot. Yeah, I know there's a lot to ignore, but it seems like at least there's -something- resembling a decent plot there, which is better than... 80% of the JRPGs we have ranked?

Still agree with Tal's assessment that GL5's plot is a mixed bag of 'ARGH', 'Hey, that's neat', and 'Hey that would be neat, but ARGH!'. Try to enjoy the 'Hey, that's neat' for what it is, I suppose.

Note to Talaysen: I accidentally left GL5 in America, so I'm at a complete loss when it comes to getting Stat Topic information for it.

-Djinn

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3180 on: September 01, 2008, 02:43:44 AM »
I missed Melvina in Chaos Wars. Zeonsilt was in no shape to be dealing the killing blow to her, and I ended up just resigning to missing her, since I didn't plan to use her anyway.

XF- Through 3-2. Chugging along nicely. Ragnar isn't too bad when he's coaching Levin about the intricacies of dealing with women, but... yeah, seconding everyone else about him. Hrathnir gets total UOM hype. He's pretty badass. Edna's good as a joke villain, and Weishiet's VA is cool. I like the odd, monotone non-chalance. Game needs more miserable Labby tactical briefs.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: September 01, 2008, 03:34:38 AM »
DQ8 - Dhoulmagus in a nutshell:

To elaborate: the best he could do was 3HKO Jess if he targetted her in his first form. Since he never did, and he hated focusing good stuff with all his might (also hated to Wave of Ice, leaving him bait to an Acceleratle'd party for basically the whole fight), I simply had both rounds entirely under control. This is valid for both forms, although the hilarity of FLIPPANT LAUGHS and MULTIHEAL doubleacting makes me snicker.

[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: September 01, 2008, 03:47:06 AM »
FF3:  Chugging along nicely here.  Gotten past the early game mini dungeons, roamed about with the ship, and then tried to face Medusa while still level 10.  Sadly, this meant she was able to OHKO anyone she wanted to with her agas, and ended in miserable failure for me.

Crisis Core:  My brother purchased this while he was on vacation, and so my recently reacquired PSP has been pressed back into service while I distract my brother with Rondo of Swords and FFTA2.  So far, I am very much winning this trade.  So let's start off with graphics, because they're easy to cover.  I mean, we can start off with it's beautiful and very easy on the eyes, or simply, Squeenix cared.  However, it's easy to make a pretty game where you still have a lot of soulless automatons running about.  Instead, you've got some of the best facial expressions I've seen since Suikoden 3 (in fact, I'm not sure Suiko 3 wins this comparison), combined with a the fact that a lot of character information isn't imparted through words, or even voice, but also in posture and expression, and movement.  You get the feeling that Zack is a pretty happy guy not just from his dialogue, but also from the way he's always bouncing around, even in combat.

Which brings me to gameplay.  The core of the system is simply hitting X, sure.  But it manages to put every other ARPG I've played to shame.  The hit detection is pretty good, Zack's natural bounciness adds a sense of timing to his physical combo, and with the fact that each hit takes a different amount of time to pull off and you can generally see when the enemies are about to pull something off so you can judge when to take another swing or when to break away.  The dodge function is also really nice, rounding out the combat by giving you a way to avoid most attacks and break out of combat when you need to.  And it's probably the option that really makes the combat system work when you need to think about it.  And when you just face one of an endless string of fodder fights?  You just mash through that like nothing else, and the very seamless transition between battle and navigation means that it's not really an imposition.  The only flaw is the Limit/Levelling system, meaning that it's hard to actually grind, though long battles do give more opportunity for advancement than easy ones.  But, even with the randomness, it's not that intrusive, and it does happen often enough that you don't feel like you're being gipped.

Finally, the last thing that's really impressive is just how well it works as a spinoff.  It knows its place as a prequel.  It makes a lot of fun references and allusions to FF7, while at the same time maintaining its independence from FF7 as a standalone story.  And it works.  It just feels like the same world, with the generally same characters, just wandering a different part of it.

That said , enough gushing.  I'm currently just finishing with the section where the FF7 Fight music plays for the first time, and am trying to get all but one of the folks for the Limit Reels before going really Mission crazy, for all that those are also really addicting.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: September 01, 2008, 05:31:20 AM »
Eye of the Beholder II!

currently killin' evil priests.  will I finish this game? probably not.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3184 on: September 01, 2008, 07:34:41 AM »

Ran into another English-speaking RPG fan while in Japan, she was playing Fire Emblem 9 at the time and I happened to witness this conversation between Oscar and Janaff (one of the bird laguz) :

Oscar:  Look, I'm really, really sorry about what I said the other day.  Please
forgive my ignorance. [he called Janaff a child, when Janaff's over 100 years old].
Janaff:  Ha!  Well...I guess it's all right.  As long as you don't do it again.
By the way, how are you?  I can never tell with you beorc.
Oscar:  I'm twenty-four.
Janaff:  Twenty-four!?  TWENTY-FOUR?!  You don't even have a full set of
feathers yet!  You're still a child!  A suckling babe!  I can't believe that
the beorc send children out to battle!  How can you be so cold and heartless?!
Oscar:  Uh...well-
Janaff:  What's your name, little one?
Oscar:  O-Oscar?
Janaff:  Janaff.  But you can call me Uncle Janny.  No wonder you said such
rude things.  Heck, I'm surprised you can even talk!
Oscar:  Yeah, it's...um...surprising all right.  I'm pretty bright for my age.

Anyway, I felt the need to share as this was surprisingly amusing writing for a Fire Emblem game.

-Djinn

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: September 01, 2008, 01:39:23 PM »
Thanks Djinn, that made me smile =-)

I ... damn you Snow! Again! Dhoulmagus was evil to me and kept on dispelling my buffs >.>

LoD- Sidequesting before completing Zenebatos. I really enjoy the twinking potential in this game. Like everytime I play it I never seem to get tired of it <.< Magic abuse twinking ftw. Along with a good dose of speed and M DUR too. Meru L34 w/th Magical Hat + Rainbow Dress + Dancer's Ring + Magical Ring (the one that boosts MAG not the MP recovering one) vs Belzac - Speed Down, Speed Up, Power Down, Power Up - Psyche Bomb X 7000~ damage - Dragoon Special Blue Sea Dragon 9999!  Albert with the same magic twinking gear, stat items  + Gaspless Special only did ... 9700~ >.> What!?

On the other hand ... getting a taste of my own medicine in the form of a magical beat down from Faust is major ouchies. I'm trying to defeat him w/o Legend Casque/Dragoon armours/other broken type stuff for the record. Just because I'm stubborn like that and want to do so before resetting and returning with overpowered stuff. Albert is currently the only one with a mastered addition too.

Power Down *sometimes* works on Faust but if it doesn't -

Wind counter to Albert - 3000+ damage
Fire counter to Dart - 2000+ damage
Ice counter to Meru - 1700+ damage

Big ass ice spell to Albert - 5000+ damage >__> To Dart ... I was too busy watching Albert get pwned that I didn't see the exact damage. He did die though. Dragoon Meru who was low on HP at 600~ survived it with 98 HP <___<

What the fizzle.

I'm using Dragon Helm for Meru + Albert here. Dancer's equips for Meru, your healer needs all the speed they can get. Bandit's gear on Albert too for all that Faust can still QUADRA turn him. Soul Eater + Therapy Ring for Dart though I'm thinking of equipping a weaker weapon and giving him a Bandit's Ring. I've been back to stock on Angel's Prayers ( I had none) Before that I nearly won one time when all the stat items worked and Meru constantly Rainbow Breathing but then Faust sneaked in that big ass ice spell. Once I returned with Angel's Prayers I was able to have her revive Dart and Albert next time he pulled something like that. I had him down to the red, had to Cool Boogie with Meru + Pretty Hammer for 400 SP, he countered with his ice counter, 1700~ damage she survives, then he physicals her 400~ damage ... she's still alive yay! ... Ass gets a third turn and a powerful thunder spell. Meru dies and I have no Angel's Prayers/healing items left =(

.... dear god to anyone that takes Albert + Kongol to this fight w/o bandit's equips/dragoon armours/legend casques.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: September 01, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
GL5: Spent most of yesterday playing this; must be a long game, because it feels like I've only made a dent in it. Checked a FAQ out of curiosity and it seems I've still got two chapters of the main role left and three independant roles. Yikes. Anyway, the backstabber has stabbed us in the back and been forgiven after a prompt Heel Face Turn, and the Admonisher is down (again) because someone stole the VP MacGuffin (again). A few points:

A: Isaac is a dick.

B: Yeah, Djinn, in Fanille's favor is that the other characters (and even Fanille herself) acknowledge that she's a total scatterbrain who's useful for a very particular area of expertise. She's also the destroyer of worlds (see point C).

C: Fanille >>> the Grangalian Army.

D: Isaac is a dick.

E: Bachter is Balrog. No, not the toaster. I wish I meant the toaster.

F: FUTON DOOOOOOOGS!

Anyway, lots of good, meaty plot stuff in that session. However, after a Ziekwalt's shpiel, there's a pretty obvious candidate for who the Loligoth of Ominousness is, and this is not promising. Yeesh, the Ancients were such lamers. If you guys can build an airborne death machine, you can kill your own damn demons.

Also, I have to wonder how much trouble could have been prevented by smothering Pernagi at birth. Not that I'm proposing preemptive infanticide of future troublemakers as a way to solve society's ills! (...At least, I think I'm not suggesting that). But...man, you give a weapon to an infamously belligerent state, and build in the caveat that it's only efficient when running on HUMAN SOULS under the assumption that this fact will PREVENT them from abusing the device? I...you know, I don't have to go into detail or spoilers to illustrate how MONUMENTALLY STUPID this is, it's just...my god, man, how long have you been hanging out with humans by now? Just...what.

And...haven't entered Korin in any of the contests yet, but I usually toss whatever spare cash I have after equipment upgrades at the training room. Have unlocked most of her abilities by now. Gabbing has an awesome description ("Blathers about stuff when bored") but I haven't seen her use it yet. Also unlocked Friendship Rating and Psyche Evaluation! Good times.  Apparently I'm seen as an average joe with no real bad points. Could be worse, I guess. All the individual PCs seem to have a favorable opinion of me except for Sherris, who hates me. She's probably the Charlone of this cast and can't stand a guy with a few Mission Clears on his record. (*punts Charlo* You denied me all the guys' endings, you jerk!)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:47:33 PM by El Cideon »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3187 on: September 01, 2008, 05:57:15 PM »
Getting all the guys' endings in this game is ridiculously easy thanks to friendship medal save hax.

Korin won't be able to win any contest till she's basically at max stats.

Gabbing results in what is quite possibly the best dialogue in the game, where Korin openly makes fun of GL character designs and the rest of the cast just kind of blithely acknowledges it. It also gives the occasional character development moment, but that's completely secondary to self-referential ribbing.

To activate, simply stand around a town or something with the game running while you get yourself a drink. In no time at all, you should be hearing some lively commentary between fairy and unsuspecting victim.

Side note: If you manage to recruit Sherris, you'll pretty much get her ending... so really, there's no worries about any of that.

A&D: Yeah, Isaac's pretty much an irredeemable cock.

And I repeat - ignore the Screaper plot as much as possible. Pernagi may be annoying, but his side of the plot is still far more interesting than screaper crap.

-Djinn

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: September 01, 2008, 05:57:41 PM »
Djinn: Yeah, FE9 actually slips in some really funny supports and invo conversations on occasion.

CT: I thought Power Down always worked? Just it only lasts three turns, which isn't very long for Faust.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: September 01, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »
The only flaw is the Limit/Levelling system, meaning that it's hard to actually grind, though long battles do give more opportunity for advancement than easy ones.  But, even with the randomness, it's not that intrusive, and it does happen often enough that you don't feel like you're being gipped.

Actually, leveling up is not random.  The game has hidden EXP values, where once you hit that EXP, the next time you get a Modulating Phase, you will level up, IOWs, have a 7-7-7 (so if you're luck sucks for a while, its possible to level up like 4 times in 4 phases), at least, from what I understand.  Point is, leveling up is not entirely random.

Now, Materia levels?  Yeah, you have no actual control over that.  Best you can do is, which is much much later, equip the Moogle Magic Materia (or whatever its called) and raise your chances of getting Moogle's DMW...but as I said, this is MUCH later.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: September 01, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »
Subterranean Animisim:
1cced on Normal, Reimu A; had two lives left at the end.

So...one of the easiest Easies, and one of two Normal's I've managed to 1cc so far.  Clearly SA must be the second easiest game in the series (after Mountain of Faith).

On Extra got as far as the reverse hearts.  Dunno how close I was.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: September 01, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »
El Cideon: You need to enter Korin in contests to get Haschen's ultimate armor.  If you plan on getting those you should FAQ them anyways.

Djinn:  That's okay, I haven't been in the mood for GL5 testing in... well, a long time.  Actually, I haven't even hooked up my PS2 yet since I moved.  So much other crap that keeps distracting me.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: September 01, 2008, 08:06:01 PM »
DQ8 - BACCARAT CASINO UNLOCKED YES THE TOKENS WILL FLOW LIKE WIIIIIINE~

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: September 01, 2008, 08:11:51 PM »
Boo to that. DQ8's long enough and easy enough without sinking time into boring gambling so you can get uber-weapons you don't need. Then again, maybe they're more useful in the aftergame stuff. But on that note, see my point about the game being long enough as is.

(Also it's probably best not to be drinking tokens, man. Choking hazard.)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: September 01, 2008, 08:15:24 PM »
Boo to that. DQ8's long enough and easy enough without sinking time into boring gambling so you can get uber-weapons you don't need.

I derive some sort of perverse pleasure from breaking games pointlessly. I fully intend to abuse the casino in a more intelligent manner (i.e. FAQ the most abusable strategies) to just get the best stuff then grab anything I care about in relatively little time. But, really, the only reason I did it is because Gringham Whip sounds way too sexy.

EDIT: So, basically, I'm just doing my typical approach. I didn't do it for SO3, but Power Dance'd Maria tore the game into pieces far faster than the pointless twinking from an unintuitive IC system would.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:18:43 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: September 01, 2008, 09:50:50 PM »
Good twinking is efficient twinking.  That is sadly the best one in DQ8 outside Monster Arena and Alchemy which I am assuming Snow is doing already by default.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: September 01, 2008, 11:51:59 PM »
DQ8 - *Abuses roulette.* Twenty minutes in and I have 158k tokens. Holy fuck this shit is sooooooooooooooooooooo abusable.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: September 02, 2008, 12:56:37 AM »
GL5..... with all these hate on screeper plot, I guess it is wise that GL6 never made it here.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: September 02, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
DQ8 - Welp, me gots a Gringham Whip. Considering I'm still willing to shell out a couple Liquid Metal Armors and an ocean of Prayer Rings, I guess I'm not nearly done with the abuse from hell yet, although I'm guessing the game's been thoroughly brokeded by now. >_>

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: September 02, 2008, 02:37:18 AM »
GL5: Climbed up Mt. Nostril to get MYSTEK ORE (note: only the former is made up; it's just what I think every time they say the real name). Saw a familiar face and fought her; was unsurprised.

Have I mentioned that Krious is a fucking beast? Because he is. Almost nothing breaks the combination of regen/draining (Spriggan was notable for forcing me to actually cast healing spells on Krious for the first time in god knows how long), on top of having the most HP and a few maxed out PDEF Up plates. Huge stock of Knacks plus maxed out Free Knacks plates = he dishes out three killer attacks while everyone else is waiting for their ATW to go down. The fight with ZombiE, where Wolgainer employs the Screaper Remote? Krious tore through half the Neylern army while Randall and Haschen were chipping away at one damn soldier. Dude hogs so many of the kills that his ability board is almost full.

Did Sherris's quest after that. Unlocking it is such FAQ bait, and the Cid hates FAQ bait, but Sherris is pretty and hits people with a fan, so I had to do it. Chapter doesn't top an hour or so, which is probably for the best. Run around for a bit padding out her ability board with a fangirl named Sapphia who gushes that "We female soldiers would do anything for you, Captain Sherris!" (WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT YURI?!) Yeah, I'm cool with that. I presume the Rufus/Ziekwalt chapters are equally obscure and worth FAQing?

And...I only have one note for today. If you've played the game, this should say it all:

A-Z: Just when I think Isaac can't be any more of a dick, he reaches for the Viagra. That was fucking low, man.

As an addendum, I really, really wish Melvina would leave her emo phase and rejoin the party. She was cooler before all that, for one thing, and she's a better PC than Randall in every way.

EDIT: One futon dog left, so if folks want the epic damage tests, let me know now!

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention this. So Pernagi, you say you've got a device that can detect the presence of these Screapers that have been terrorizing the continent and killing people for centuries? That sounds like a pretty useful invention. Why didn't you tell the world, eh? Seriously, would it have been hard to just build a few of these things without the whole sacrifice-human-lives-to-control-screapers feature for use in coastal areas? I have to imagine it would've been useful for preventing people from being eaten at some point. But nooo, you only hand out gruesome weapons to expansionist kingdoms. Jesus fucking Christ, man.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:12:34 AM by El Cideon »