Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472792 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3575 on: September 21, 2008, 10:21:06 PM »
Professor Leyton's whateverwhatever might have been a decent option.  It is vaguely; animeish and kind of fun.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: September 21, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »
DDS - Beaten! Dear god, Jenna was a complete loser. >_> Rant later.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: September 22, 2008, 01:04:41 AM »
You disappoint me, Snow. I expected more hype for the tyrannical tranny.

HL2: Started this because I felt like it. The opening is made of win for how it shoves you into this Orwellian shithole of a world. As is often the case with these games, the first couple hours sees me dying constantly until I get decent weapons...and I have a submachinegun that can launch grenades now,m so that definitely qualifies. Anyway, lost in the sewers somewhere right now.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: September 22, 2008, 01:16:59 AM »
You disappoint me, Snow. I expected more hype for the tyrannical tranny.

DDS is disappointing in a lot of things, in fairness.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: September 22, 2008, 01:42:22 AM »
I didn't think the game pointed out that Jenna is a hermaphrodite. Doesn't that happen in DDS2?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:36:45 AM by AAA »
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: September 22, 2008, 01:46:14 AM »
Not sure it matters much anyhow. In DDS, everybody at least looks like a tranny.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: September 22, 2008, 02:37:54 AM »
Pretty much everything that makes the series worth noting happens in DDS2, including that (and for that matter, all of Jenna's character worth).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: September 22, 2008, 02:41:02 AM »
So, I might as well have skipped DDS1, speaking strictly in gaming worth? >_> (DL-wise, it's a whole 'nother ballpark)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3583 on: September 22, 2008, 02:46:21 AM »
Pretty much, yeah.  The Solid's base is pretty much the worst dungeon in the series, and Coordinate 136 or whatever isn't far behind, DDS2 is better about that sort of thing.  Basically all you miss jumping into DDS2 directly is foreshadowing.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: September 22, 2008, 03:09:09 AM »
You would have missed all the scenes about Bat, you fucking philistines.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: September 22, 2008, 03:46:14 AM »
Also picking up DDS2 without playing DDS1 would be weird if you ask me, for all that you miss like...nothing...

Admittedly, DDS2 does reference DDS1 several times in various ways, so you'd be missing all those and probably have questions like "WHO THE FUCK IS THAT?"
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: September 22, 2008, 05:21:55 AM »
DDS2 does do a pretty good job of letting you see important plot shit from DDS1. Like I know you can rewatch scenes like talking to Varin after you beat him and stuff.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: September 22, 2008, 05:30:55 AM »
Professor Leyton's whateverwhatever might have been a decent option.  It is vaguely; animeish and kind of fun.
That was one of the ones I put on the table, though she didn't end up trying.  Not sure how it would have gone over--Layton does have some blatantly math excercises--"my age is triple sue's age, but in two years it will only be double.  How old am I?"

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: September 22, 2008, 09:02:22 AM »
It has some blatant maths in it yeah, but it is generally pretty fun and the packaging for the math is soft and squishy.  It isn't like it spat that algebra problem out as actual algebraic formula.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: September 22, 2008, 09:30:52 AM »
I bet your Combat/Dexterity stats suck ass, or it's your skill level in that particular weapon.  Granted, even I'm missing quite often as well.

Also, kite more.  Run up, attack, then back up afterwards.

I think I'm gonna try and get a ranged weapon and snipe stuff to death.  Seems like it'd work better.

I do kite a lot, in fact it is one of my key situations to surviving anything at all.

Most of my deaths come from the fact I am unable to isolate more than one enemy >_>

EDIT: Dex is my second highest stat next to Wisdom and my Combat skill is over 20, I'd say it isn't that low
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:35:15 AM by TranceHime »
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: September 22, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
I do kite a lot, in fact it is one of my key situations to surviving anything at all.

Most of my deaths come from the fact I am unable to isolate more than one enemy >_>

EDIT: Dex is my second highest stat next to Wisdom and my Combat skill is over 20, I'd say it isn't that low

Well my other suggestion is to pump 2-H weapons and use an axe and just OHKO everything.  Though if you're using a priest your strength really sucks (she has 9 I think?) and that might not work.  Reroll and use someone with more strength.  <.<

If you're kiting, try running around in a circle around the enemy, rather than leaving the area.  Might help with isolating them since you don't run into more.  I know this isn't always possible, but it is helpful when you can.

So it's probably just luck on the missing.  The game has more missing than your average RPG (I mean, it's a western RPG, they do that), so it's probably that + bad luck.

Mazes of Fate DS - Beat the Forsaken Temple.  Fuck that place.  It's one giant maze with three floors.  To get through it, you have to find a key on the first floor, go down to the second floor, find some dude, go to the third floor, find out you need another key, go up to the second floor, find another dude who tells you to find a key (not the same key -.- ), find the key you were previously looking for, go back down to the third floor, beat up boss (who got like 3HKOd), get dude's key, go back up to second floor, talk to dude, go down to third floor, go to the other entrance to the second floor, go up to the first floor, find magic pool, and then finally leave.

And I left out the less important keys like Bronze Key and Silver Key you have to find...

That whole thing took two hours to complete.  The entirety of the game before that?  1.5 hours.

And then after that you go into another Huge McLarge dungeon.  I'm in there.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: September 22, 2008, 06:55:38 PM »
It has some blatant maths in it yeah, but it is generally pretty fun and the packaging for the math is soft and squishy.  It isn't like it spat that algebra problem out as actual algebraic formula.
Yeah well, too late now; as far as I know she copied the entire Hal .rar DVD, and thus now has "Touhou 1-9, Rekkadan, IaMP + StB".

I'm not even sure what Rekkadan is >_>

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: September 22, 2008, 06:57:01 PM »
OKAY. So, I guess it's time for that ol' DDS rant.

So, first the good: the game has a nice sense of aesthetics, dungeon exploration is theoretically good (it sorta pans out in practice on Karma Temple, a few issues aside), Karma Temple is an awesome dungeon for the style sense alone (and it's pretty fun, too!). Oh, and the soundtrack is pretty solid! That's nice. Problem is, the good ends just about here. And there's a lot of bad to plow through.

For starters? The gameplay design is infuriating. It's carefully designed and had a fair amount of thought into it, sure, like most of the entire battle flow, I feel. Problem? It's meticulously, unceremoniously designed to annoy the hell out of the player.

Sounds vague? I'll try to exemplify this through a random battle I fought while remapping Coordinate 136 in the lategame. I got into a random battle with two Panic-spamming whores and a Rage spammer, levels on the low 50s for myself. They got the initiative and began spamming MT Panic. Which hit my entire party off the bat. Due to Panic, my commands wouldn't go through at all, and they kept doing that -forever-, while my attempts to heal it or flee were walled by Panic. They couldn't kill me at all, the damage was in the single digits against me. But this prolonged a pointless battle far longer than it should have, was not fun and I had -no proper way to control it at all-. Essentially, you're in a dark room. You're likely to be gnawed to death by a RNG.

This is the entire gameplay in a nutshell. This -is- DDS.

The hax varies, the pointless varies, but the underlying point doesn't change: the game makes consciously bad gameplay design decisions by the gallons just for the sake of making them. Which is, really, the crux of SMT gameplay from what I know. The entire game is balanced and designed with the intent to annoy the player slowly but surely with hax that is entirely beyond the player's control: from the turn system, which is just about the worst thing you could ever do in a TB RPG (phase-based in a non-SRPG is sub-SMRPG TB. Absolutely random initiative system, with your stats having no say at all? This alone is conceptually dumb, and the fact initiative goes against you so often is even worse. You do not pull that kind of thing if you're concerned about making a game fun) to the purposeful excessive hampering of the player's options with the skill equipment system, you end up with a gameplay that, in spite of having a couple fun concepts (press turns are conceptually haxy, but not too bad a way to encourage weakness hitting), is very one-dimensional, partly because of how the skill equipment system hamstrings your versatility. I mean, eight skill slots TOTAL? On a skillset of that size? That's not encouraging you to think about the skills you'll use very carefully, that'll encourage you to just find the one setup that will last you through the game, which the game is very clear about. Since you want battles done as fast as possible, the best approach is simply picking the MT damage off boosts and an elemental resistance to avoid giving press turns, add healing and maybe an uber debuff if you have it. Because anything else is counter-productive. It's annoying, there's plenty of effective stuff to use that would matter a lot more if the game's nature wasn't so hax-based, but it entirely wastes the possibilities by that.

Also, the stat balance blows: Magic is god, Vitality is good, everything else is useless. Status is also very underpowered in your hands even when hitting weakness: this is bad considering the system wants you to hit varied weaknesses. But then, it limitates that by hamstringing your versatility anyway, so what's the point? And then, there's the fact that DDS Analyze FAILS. When you make a system that reliant on hitting weakness, you DO NOT hamstring the player of his only way to check weaknesses without getting his ass bitten - because, if you hit immunities, you're getting bitten by it HARD. Not having a place that stores enemy data and not letting you see any info on boss specs is idiotic in a system like this, and defeats the purpose of intelligently playing it. It's like the game wants you to stumble your way with the system, and doing that gets you killed by hax. Annoying design, and it's so carefully crafted that I still suspect the designers get off on the player's annoyance.

The mantra system was also poorly implemented: not being able to see what the skills on a mantra actually do (not even a description!) until you buy and -master- it is downright dumb, no ifs or buts. Once again, it's the type of design decision that hampers intelligent planning and strategical growth. A design decision that doesn't let the player's intelligence play a decisive role on the effects of the game, rewarding stumbling blind luck instead, is a bad decision. DDS revels in those, and the worst part is that it's so far better about it than just about every SMT game I know that it's disgusting. It's the least annoying SMT I know about those things and it's still retarded.

Then, there's the writing that accompanies the setting. The setting is sorta neat, if dangerously bordering on Dork Age crap (in that "The Grim '90s" sense. The game tries really hard to be dark and edgy, and, while the aesthetics work out, it can wear thin fast). But it hits DDS writing failure. DDS's general dialogue and story flow is like an old 2x4: wooden, stiff, ugly and can't reliably hold together a structure. There is no buildup and real explanation of a setting that decidedly needs them, and the reliance on MYSTARY and FORESHADOWINGU just makes things worse. It's clearly a game that tries to be both a plot and gameplay game, and it fails up on both fronts.

THAT said, it could be worse. As Sage noted, it's better than Lufia 2! Although I can hardly call that a merit.

But, in the end, DDS is just very underwhelming. It's a game that could've been pretty neat, but isn't. The developers clearly understand the tenets of good design, but they decide to build games using fundamentally bad design as a cornerstone and prancing around that flawed fundamental. It's incomprehensible and obnoxious, and I certainly can't respect a game for that. In the end, it just feels like a slight waste of time.

And now, to better things!

KH2 - Sora just came back! Too bad Roxas never remembered what did he tell Axel in bed that night.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:47:52 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: September 22, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »
I'm not even sure what Rekkadan is >_>

Rekkadan is Super Smash Sisters. <_<
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: September 23, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »
KH2 - Sora just came back! Too bad Roxas never remembered what did he tell Axel in bed that night.

At least Axel did the confession thing again to remind Sora about it.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: September 23, 2008, 02:44:17 AM »
HL2: Man, this speedboat handles like a fridge. Also: headcrab bombs? Fuck you too, Combine.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: September 23, 2008, 03:42:57 AM »
KH2 - This is Kingdom Hearts. With more pretty. With more mindless hilarious fun. With more style. And with 100% less stupid camera angle bullshit. I'm in fucking trainwreck heaven, and I don't want to leave. <3

(Just beat Belle's Castle.)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: September 23, 2008, 04:12:21 AM »
Baldur's Gate 2: Busily replaying as a Kensage. Team, currently, of Main, Minsc, Keldorn, Yoshimo, Aerie, Nalia. Running a handful of mods. Fairly satisfied with the story/plot/character development of the PPG DeArnise romance (and, for the reference thrown to the Sopko's, think she pairs up nicely with Harkan, who has taken on the role of main in this playthrough).

Have been tooling around in Chapter 3 for forever, and am debating finally tackling Spellhold.

I am curious if one of my mods screwed with Beholder's, though. Had a hell of a time and literally could not beat the Gauth groups on the Unseeing Eye quest. It was... pretty crazy. They were killing my team with AoE lightning bolts that I could swear they did not once have, but myabe I blocked out the memory. I'm shamed to admit I was forced to ctrl + y them to death.

Also, potentially taking suggestions for the replacement to Yoshimo. Not gonna finish with Imoen in my party this time. Currently think Haer'dalis because I've never actually used him much, but Viconia and Korgan are also in contention. (And yes, I do have force characters to get along mods :p).

Billy vs Snakeman: FINALLY. After a week of trying, I got access to Reaper Missions. Holy hell that was a pain in the ass.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: September 23, 2008, 04:59:50 AM »
KH2 - This is Kingdom Hearts. With more pretty. With more mindless hilarious fun. With more style. And with 100% less stupid camera angle bullshit. I'm in fucking trainwreck heaven, and I don't want to leave. <3

On this matter, you should mod your PS2 and get FM+
And then you'll reeeeally don't want to live. Seriously, kicking Marluxia's sorry ass is very satisfying and stress relieving.

BTW, you guys picked up SRWZ yet?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:04:40 AM by Niu »

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: September 23, 2008, 05:11:51 AM »
Play-Asia is preparing my order, and I'm downloading the ISO to tide me over until the budget shipping gets my disc here.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.