Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472790 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3600 on: September 23, 2008, 05:20:18 AM »
KH2 - This is Kingdom Hearts. With more pretty. With more mindless hilarious fun. With more style. And with 100% less stupid camera angle bullshit. I'm in fucking trainwreck heaven, and I don't want to leave. <3

On this matter, you should mod your PS2 and get FM+
And then you'll reeeeally don't want to live. Seriously, kicking Marluxia's sorry ass is very satisfying and stress relieving.

My PS2 is modded. And I believe I killed CK with the tales of me finding multiple copies of KH2FM and not buying it because I hadn't played KH2 yet.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: September 23, 2008, 05:23:45 AM »
Also, the stat balance blows: Magic is god, Vitality is good, everything else is useless.

HURRRRR

The only truly shitty stat is strength.

I am curious if one of my mods screwed with Beholder's, though. Had a hell of a time and literally could not beat the Gauth groups on the Unseeing Eye quest. It was... pretty crazy. They were killing my team with AoE lightning bolts that I could swear they did not once have, but myabe I blocked out the memory. I'm shamed to admit I was forced to ctrl + y them to death.

Gauths always had the lightning bolts. I consider them the toughest random groups in the game if fought in C2/3. Maybe you fought them with the cloak of mirroring in earlier files, which literally makes them completely harmless.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: September 23, 2008, 05:32:52 AM »
Also, the stat balance blows: Magic is god, Vitality is good, everything else is useless.

HURRRRR

The only truly shitty stat is strength.

Argilla and Gale dodging as much as Cielo in-game in spite of Cielo's much higher Agility and Luck stats would like to have a word with you. I tried to go for a somewhat balanced Serph build (always levelling magic, spreading evenly between AG/VIT/LUCK otherwise) until Bat 3, and it certainly felt pointless to pump points into non-VIT/MAG stats - and I certainly didn't regret switching builds. Maybe they're crucial for evasion when they're at overkill levels/numbers, but, normally, they felt irrelevant.

EDIT: Buff-wise, the effects of all the stats are actually very noticeable, if that's what you mean. I still give DDS credit for making all its stats at least fully functional. But this isn't what I'm addressing: it's how the stats -naturally- pan out, without buffing games, and how a certain base stat build or other is more benefitial. Specializing in Agility/Luck/Strength is a horribly losing trade in DDS1, while anyone with high Magic just wins.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:38:27 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: September 23, 2008, 06:03:07 AM »

Billy vs Snakeman: FINALLY. After a week of trying, I got access to Reaper Missions. Holy hell that was a pain in the ass.

I have a question: Namely, are you vulnerable to bribery? As in, if I send you some shiny things now, will you come join Champions as soon as you loop? We're still recruiting and can't seem to clear 30 villagers. I'd bribe you to come now, but you need to be Season 2+ because we're too Awesome for S1.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: September 23, 2008, 07:01:53 AM »
KH2 Replay: War Arc in Hollow Bastion, whee! Stylish stuff!  Forgot about the Tron stuff right before which...uh...made me play the game longer than I had intended but still <_<;
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: September 23, 2008, 07:11:25 AM »
MadFnorder: Wanted to anyway, so yeah. More than happy to. ^_^ Don't even need to bribe.

Monkey: Do you remember the graphic/full effect by chance? I vaguely recall it, but this playthrough it looked like a fireball and had a round AoE. It just seems wrong to me. I remember Gauth's being obnoxious and stupidly strong but... man. The three Gauth group literally tore my party in two before they could get close. I remember at least being able to beat them. >_>
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:16:33 AM by AndrewRogue »

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: September 23, 2008, 07:20:55 AM »
I think they normally have just a straight lightning bolt, which hits in a line. It might have been the unique beholder ray effect. Regardless, it certainly wasn't a fireball type round AoE. o_o

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: September 23, 2008, 07:32:24 AM »
Illusion of Gaia:  I forget how many times I've replayed this.  Just cleared Ankor Wat on my LP, for all the good it does me.  Just missing the 5 Red Jewels in the Pyramid and the one in Babel.  Also managed to skip getting the Crystal Shades!

Wild Arms 2:  Still stuck at the Ashley-only Trask fight.  Ashley is level 3 still.  I'm sure the rest of this makes sense somewhere (Immune to Poison Breath thanks to Moonstone, 2HKO'd by Trask's basic physical, OHKO'd by Biomissile, and he's...  12HKO'd in return, if I ignore going for the Mini Carrot.  Ow).

BvS:  Character one has BurgerNinja to do (and collecting pretty Major Village Contracts for Champions is always a plus)!  Character 2 has Tsukiyomi Ascendant to do (for the life of me, I can't seem to get that character to keep any level of moon.  It's the only thing left for him in that season, too).  Both of the previous went after Tea3.  Character 3 has everything to do, but at least has Not Wasteland Disease and all the Knightframe Pieces to his name (yet too low of a Tai range to actually finish BN).  Biggest downside to that one?  He has over 80K Ryo and needs to get Robogirl 2.

Brawl:  While screwing around with Random, I found I was actually halfway decent with Pokemon Trainer...  And I managed to sidestep Marth's FS once.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: September 23, 2008, 07:53:31 AM »
Mega Man 9 - Yes. I should not have played any games at all today but I couldn't resist.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: September 23, 2008, 08:01:04 AM »
Yeah, I thought so. That's the problem I'm having. The lightning bolt attack seems to be attached to the wrong effect, which was resulting in my whole party eating the damage at once, which was... well. Death-tastic. *grumbles* Wish I could figure out which mod was doing it. I think my weidu is kinda messed up.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: September 23, 2008, 08:31:26 AM »
KH2 - This is Kingdom Hearts. With more pretty. With more mindless hilarious fun. With more style. And with 100% less stupid camera angle bullshit. I'm in fucking trainwreck heaven, and I don't want to leave. <3

And then you'll reeeeally don't want to live. Seriously, kicking Marluxia's sorry ass is very satisfying and stress relieving.

My PS2 is modded. And I believe I killed CK with the tales of me finding multiple copies of KH2FM and not buying it because I hadn't played KH2 yet.

Fool, if you can find KH2FM+, the original is useless.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3611 on: September 23, 2008, 08:35:46 AM »
On a completely surprising whim, I popped in my FE7 game that I'd never beaten, realized that the point I was at had a party that was so horribly screwed over there was no chance of beating the game, started over from Lyn. Just finished up Eliwood Hard Mode. It's surprising how much easier FE7 is now that I understand how to play a Fire Emblem game (back when I started it 3 years ago, I'd never played one before). Only complaint? Lyn's 10 chapters of tutorials... seriously.

The story is also a lot more cohesive when you play it in one big chunk. Hector Hard Mode is next. It cowers in fear! Also, as far as characters go, I'm surprised how much development Hector gets compared to every other FE character in the history of FE characters. Win. Also, Ax to the face.

Still slowly progressing through SaGa - Red's taken two BlackX members down, time to recruit Doll and take on some ruins!

Romancing SaGa 3 looks good, too. Especially considering how much I like SaGa Frontier. Is there an English version floating around for download?

GS2 isn't holding my interest as much as I thought it would. Also, ToV WANT!

-Djinn

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: September 23, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »

Fool, if you can find KH2FM+, the original is useless.

I couldn't back when I bought the first. And I didn't have the money to buy it when I found it.

EDIT: Djinn, there is a RS3 translation floating around, which is basically complete. Just be warned, though: the English is -terrible-.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: September 23, 2008, 08:55:21 AM »
RS3: The game isn't great either.

BG2: I don't remember Gauth's having much special AoE, something might have made them do something weird.  Gauths are few and far between and if you are fighting any beholder without the Shield of Balduran you are doing it wrong.  That thing is worth the price tag as soon as you are going into the sewers.  Beholders are that annoying.

Quote from: Jo'uo Ranbu
I played a SMT Game

Yeah DDS is kind of fucked.  It is still better than Nocturne.  Try intelligently playing the game when you can't keep skills and learn them via levelling up and don't have a list of what certain Mitama teach you upon levelling.

Fuck you Nocturne.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: September 23, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »
Mazes of Fate DS: Under Tal's advice I decided to do a re-roll! Instead of use some lame crappy-ass pre-rolled character, don't know what possessed me to do that, I decided to just do it my way and go with my traditional STR/DEX build, and it turns out that it's pretty much the same as in my GBA solo run, I ended up actually hitting a lot more often! >_>;; I am stupid.

Anyway, it baffles me as to why there are people who actually think this game is GOOD.

Personally I think it is worse than Magna Carta in terms of gameplay. And perhaps everything else.

@Tallychu - Yeah, the pre-rolled Priest has 9 Strength, uhhh 18~ish Endurance, 31 Dexterity and 45 Wisdom. That strength is pathetic and it greatly affects the accuracy for some reason that I fail to fathom, took me awhile to realize this hence the re-roll. Also key skills are Celerity and Fast Healing >___> well for a solo game.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:28:06 PM by TranceHime »
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3615 on: September 23, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »
@Tallychu - Yeah, the pre-rolled Priest has 9 Strength, uhhh 18~ish Endurance, 31 Dexterity and 45 Wisdom. That strength is pathetic and it greatly affects the accuracy for some reason that I fail to fathom, took me awhile to realize this hence the re-roll. Also key skills are Celerity and Fast Healing >___> well for a solo game.

Heh, strength affects accuracy?  Har.

Yeah, I'd agree Celerity and Fast Healing would be good.  Though... Fast Healing not so much.  The game hands out items like candy.  Use 'em.  Also, the camping feature still exists for between battles.

Honestly I think weapon skill > Celerity > Fast Healing would work?  Maybe Stamina.  More HP -> kill enemy before it kills you -> camp abuse, items for backup.  Either one should work.  Though really, putting points into Parry/Evasion isn't a bad idea either.  Don't need healing if you never get hit~  Seems like the only worthless skills are Resist POIZN, magic (well, they're useful for MAGES), and rogue skills.  Lockpick is pointless because you can just save abuse your lockpicks, but Search is good if you don't know the sekrits, I assume.  Not worth gimping your character for though.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: September 24, 2008, 12:00:38 AM »
On a completely surprising whim, I popped in my FE7 game that I'd never beaten, realized that the point I was at had a party that was so horribly screwed over there was no chance of beating the game, started over from Lyn. Just finished up Eliwood Hard Mode. It's surprising how much easier FE7 is now that I understand how to play a Fire Emblem game (back when I started it 3 years ago, I'd never played one before). Only complaint? Lyn's 10 chapters of tutorials... seriously.

The story is also a lot more cohesive when you play it in one big chunk. Hector Hard Mode is next. It cowers in fear! Also, as far as characters go, I'm surprised how much development Hector gets compared to every other FE character in the history of FE characters. Win. Also, Ax to the face.

Personally I find Lyn mode to be fast and fun. I sometimes finds FE lets itself get drawn too much into long, overcomplicated maps as the game wears on, so I always enjoy the start of FE7 by contrast. But hey, if you dislike it, you can always skip it (at a gameplay disadvantage, but whatever).

As much as I like FE7, I'm going to have to respond to your post by strongly antihyping it for character development, even compared to every other FE game. I honestly don't recall Hector getting any at all on Eliwood mode (and little enough on his own, just the Oswin/Uther stuff near the end really). Of course I find the character mildly obnoxious so I probably wouldn't appreciate any if it were there. FE7, at best, has stylish characters (Matthew, Legault, Limstella, uh... FARGUS, EDIT: Denning/Batta/Glass/Paul/Jasmine, obviously), character development is just pathetic.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:50:27 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: September 24, 2008, 12:47:43 AM »
KH2 - Timeless River. Wins. The. Internet.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3618 on: September 24, 2008, 02:17:20 AM »
Personally I find Lyn mode to be fast and fun. I sometimes finds FE lets itself get drawn too much into long, overcomplicated maps as the game wears on, so I always enjoy the start of FE7 by contrast. But hey, if you dislike it, you can always skip it (at a gameplay disadvantage, but whatever).

As much as I like FE7, I'm going to have to respond to your post by strongly antihyping it for character development, even compared to every other FE game. I honestly don't recall Hector getting any at all on Eliwood mode (and little enough on his own, just the Oswin/Uther stuff near the end really). Of course I find the character mildly obnoxious so I probably wouldn't appreciate any if it were there. FE7, at best, has stylish characters (Matthew, Legault, Limstella, uh... FARGUS, EDIT: Denning/Batta/Glass/Paul/Jasmine, obviously), character development is just pathetic.

Maybe 'development' is the wrong way to put it? Hector's not really a dynamic character, it's just that his personality is more fleshed out than the rest of his castmates (and FE8's and most of FE9's from what I can remember). He has that violent streak in him and he's not your typical "Hey let's save the world and be super-virtuous ALL THE TIME" character you see so often in FE. Hector also has some pretty good scenes with Jaffar later on. Also, his scenes as a foil for Lyn and Eliwood (not that it helps them any) are pretty well done. While Eliwood's all about "Hey let's stop for a side quest because Ninian looks tired", Hector's reminding them about the looming world destruction. OF course, he's instantly admonished for it (WTF?) because he's being 'insensitive to Ninian's feelings'. Basically, I guess the reason I felt Hector was more developed is because his dialog echoed my thoughts about the story more often than not, while the rest of the cast was being idiotic. And maybe Eliwood's void of personality was so strong that it made Hector look interesting. I can see your point, but I'm still pretty sure that between his supports and his fairly large role in the plot that Hector's got a pretty well fleshed-out personality.

Oh, and you could add 'Serra' to your list of stylish characters, she's pretty distinct, even if her 'style' is completely different than the above-listed characters.

As for Lyn mode - the maps are okay, but I just dislike being 'tutorial'd'. It was especially offensive anytime I entered a house/village and the person inside yammered on about the weapon triangle.

-Djinn

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: September 24, 2008, 02:52:08 AM »
SRWZ- Black Masaki... you are soooo Masaki. Rambling Discalibur?? Ahahaha, no one would blame you at all if you just shout Renbu no Tachi. And yeah, this game is sooooo going to be a conspiracy preparing for OG3. And consider other alternative motives this game has.... God 4P, you really want to tell the world you are upset and wants to hype OG so much.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: September 24, 2008, 03:04:07 AM »
Lyn Hard Mode doesn't have the tutorials (and isn't really "hard", so it's the only Lyn Mode you should play after the first go-around). I agree, those would get annoying more than once. On the other hand I really needed them my first time through the game.

"Hey let's save the world and be super-virtuous ALL THE TIME" character you see so often in FE.

No, he's the slightly less common but still utterly tropetastic faux badass who mouths off and isn't afraid of anything. He's like this from the start of the game to the end. To some extent I agree with you that one mediocre lord made another mediocre lord look less worthless, but for me it was Hector improving Eliwood. Compare their respective ownings of Nergal (not hard, I know) - Eliwood's is much more effective, and it was more poignant because it's not in his personality to be that way.

Agreed on Serra, surprised she slipped my mind. Actually the list I compiled wasn't intended to be complete - having characters with random style points is actually something it does well and the sole thing FE7 deserves any credit for in the plot/character department.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 04:50:04 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3621 on: September 24, 2008, 05:00:55 AM »
Lyn Hard Mode doesn't have the tutorials (and isn't really "hard", so it's the only Lyn Mode you should play after the first go-around). I agree, those would get annoying more than once. On the other hand I really needed them my first time through the game.

Villagers don't seem to change their dialogue in this respect though. I still clearly remember being lectured about the various gameplay systems every time I went into a house in Lyn Hard Mode.

No, he's the slightly less common but still utterly tropetastic faux badass who mouths off and isn't afraid of anything. He's like this from the start of the game to the end. To some extent I agree with you that one mediocre lord made another mediocre lord look less worthless, but for me it was Hector improving Eliwood. Compare their respective ownings of Nergal (not hard, I know) - Eliwood's is much more effective, and it was more poignant because it's not in his personality to be that way.

Agreed on Serra, surprised she slipped my mind. Actually the list I compiled wasn't intended to be complete - having characters with random style points is actually something it does well and the sole thing FE7 deserves any credit for in the plot/character department.

I'm not going to argue against the tropetastic-ness of ANY JRPG character. But simply by virtue of being a less common trope, I enjoyed him more. Especially since his opinions matched with my own more often than not. It's Fire Emblem, that's enough for me.

I do disagree slightly that Hector is a badass in any sense, really. He's the "Big Guy" more than anything. Loves children and gets pegasi dropped on him all the time and is renowned for being lazy. Not really badass traits? But again, this is more of a 'style' thing than any sort of actual character development.

-Djinn

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: September 24, 2008, 05:29:02 AM »
Villagers don't seem to change their dialogue in this respect though. I still clearly remember being lectured about the various gameplay systems every time I went into a house in Lyn Hard Mode.

You mean you actually go into those arbitrary houses that don't give you items and just exist for extra dialog? For shame!

More seriously, if you see useless dialog...press start, skip dialog, profit!  Scene and Dialog skips are nice <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: September 24, 2008, 06:14:53 AM »
SRW ZEEEEEEEEEEET: Started. The level of detail in the visuals is pretty damned jaw-dropping. Had to restart Rand's first stage once for the SR Point (Hereinafter known as skill points because that's still how I think of them), other than that no real issues. Ganleon is a tank with HP regen and great attacks, clearing out a stage of non-dodgy reals was cake.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:20:09 AM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: September 24, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »
The little houses continue their use as tutorials well into Eliwood/Hector mode, actually. And are thoroughly worthless at developing setting when they try. -_-

I do disagree slightly that Hector is a badass in any sense, really.

Uh. Well it's pretty clearly what the writers were aiming for. See:

Hector: You see, I'm about as angry as I've ever been. I doubt that even a dozen of you could slow me down. Prepare to die!!!

That's probably the single line which made me dislike the character. It's merely the extreme end of a repeated character trait, though...

Hector: I believe I'm going to have to disagree with you. You see, the man
   they're attacking happens to be a friend of mine.
Soldier: A friend? What? ...Urrrgh!!
Hector: Sorry, but I'm in a hurry.

Boies: Who am I? Ah, boy, you'd do better to worry about yourself. You'll be
   worm's meat before much longer.
Hector: You think so? I think my axe'll change your mind.

Erik: Hm heh heh... Eliwood, I have always despised you. How I've longed
   to smash you and your pathetic morality into pieces! I've dreamed of
   this day, and here it is at last!
Hector: Too bad you'll not live to see the end of it.
Erik: Y-You! Hector!

Linus: Hey, you! You think you're tough, don't you?
Hector: Tough enough to cleave you in two.

It's painfully obvious that the writers are trying to make him this "cool" trashtalking guy you wish you could be, and I for one didn't appreciate it. Maybe you did. You may also have focussed on other aspects of his very limited character which make him more appealing. If so, good for you. I couldn't get past the above; nothing else about him was at all memorable to me (HE LIKES KIDS!). Well, besides being Eliwood's friend, but that relationship is too boring for words.

We're getting off-topic, though.

Having a character match opinions with you doesn't make him good if you ask me, and it -certainly- doesn't make him developed. There's no accounting for taste, I realise this. You and I in particular have overlapping taste on almost nothing. If you'd said "Hector is the best FE character", I wouldn't have gotten into what is now a three-post response. You called him the most developed. That is what I take issue with.

Maybe.