Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 463767 times)

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3825 on: October 04, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »
SMT - Nocturne- Hard Boss Oni is Hard  *shakes fist* So much for the building up I did. Darn difficulty curve!

On the bright side I discovered that I didn't lose Focus afterall. Gained access to it after learning Heat Wave. Going to learn it next.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Taishyr

« Reply #3826 on: October 04, 2008, 02:26:35 PM »
The Boss Oni? Fight him when Kagatsuchi is full. Which of these things is not like the other?

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3827 on: October 04, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »
Lufia 2 Replay: Complete. It's surprising how much I cared about the characters by the end of the game, even on a second playthrough. I think it's because of Selan and Maxim's now-orphaned kid, I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. >.>;;

Back to SaGa!

-Djinn

Pyro

« Reply #3828 on: October 04, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »
ToV: Mucking around for stat topic  stuff. I love the game's costumes. Dark Enforcer+Black Hat just amuses me to no end.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: October 04, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »
Villain's a total wanker with laughably dumb motives

You somewhat miss the point.

I think he explained himself pretty thoroughly, and it was obvious what he was doing halfway through the game anyway. If I missed some plot, let me know through PM or spoiler text (though, if said plot is an explanation from some out-of-context source such as manga or director interviews, be aware that I will disregard it. Anything of actual importance to a game's plot should be said in the game), but it would take a lot to make him not be laughable.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: October 04, 2008, 07:46:03 PM »
SMT - Nocturne- Hard Boss Oni is Hard  *shakes fist* So much for the building up I did. Darn difficulty curve!

On the bright side I discovered that I didn't lose Focus afterall. Gained access to it after learning Heat Wave. Going to learn it next.

You don't need to learn it right away.  In fact, if you don't plan on using physicals any time soon, you may want to wait so you don't have a semi-useless Focus taking up a skill slot.  Just don't ever remove it once you learn it, otherwise you can't get it back.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: October 04, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
Yeah, wait on it.  Skills require a minimum level to learn, but you can learn them at any level equal to or greater than that (so Tornado you can learn at 17 at the earliest, but you can also wait until 56 or whatever to learn it too).  Get skills that complement your party.

Also, if you haven't yet, make sure you have a Deathstone, and go fuse Daisoujou (need to beat him first - don't know if you have).  He's off the one path near the Mantra HQ.  Excellent healer, and if you do some sacrifice fusions to make him, you can use him the entire game.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: October 05, 2008, 12:11:31 AM »
Villain's a total wanker with laughably dumb motives

You somewhat miss the point.

I think he explained himself pretty thoroughly, and it was obvious what he was doing halfway through the game anyway. If I missed some plot, let me know through PM or spoiler text (though, if said plot is an explanation from some out-of-context source such as manga or director interviews, be aware that I will disregard it. Anything of actual importance to a game's plot should be said in the game), but it would take a lot to make him not be laughable.

No, what I mean is you somewhat misunderstand the concept.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3833 on: October 05, 2008, 02:32:07 AM »
If someone "misunderstands the concept" behind your main antagonist if said villain spends time in exposition, that just means your writing is laughable along with your villain, as a general rule.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: October 05, 2008, 03:58:23 AM »
SRW@3 - Replay! This is happening mostly because there's nothing that I haven't played in my collection that appeases me much. Cobray route, @3 is an ass. MP Incom Gundam? Fuck you.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: October 05, 2008, 07:36:11 AM »
Knights in the Nightmare: Few words: FUCK YOU, MELISSA.

Sure, she has so-so durability in comparison to previous bosses, but her bullets are just so crazy and out of there that it's just plain annoying to aim a strong attack because of all the obstructions. >:|

Niu please tell me I don't have to fight her more than at least twice ;___;
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: October 05, 2008, 07:41:02 AM »
No, she is very persistent bitch. And she is just NO when you fight her for the last time.
Also, break the floor at the top right of the screen in scenario 23, you'll get into a secret scenario and you can retrieve Maria's wand there as a key item.

Knights in the Nightmare: Anyway, on the blue route now. It seems you can still see all the endings even on normal.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: October 05, 2008, 07:52:50 AM »
MM9 - Challenges keep falling. For my fourth playthrough I beat the game without dying, without falling into a pit, beating the robot masters with no helmet (i.e. double damage) clearing four stages using entirely one special weapon (Laser Trident, vs. Magma/Concrete/Plug/Galaxy, and yes I stacked this with no helmet, making Plug Man a bitch). And got a record time while I was at it (yay reloading whenever I died <_<). Discovered you could use Concrete Shot to freeze the magma beams, then dismissed this as useless because Rush Coil works better and faster anyway.

F-Zero GX - Completed this for now. Which is to say, I beat all the Expert Cups, and completed Story Mode on Normal difficulty. It's kinda boggling how much harder stuff there is still to do, since Story in particular was a bitch. The GP derives a bit too much of its challenge from falling off the edge, which combined with longer courses than in X, just isn't fun. Aside from that and the music, the game is pretty rocking. Fun, fast, technical racer that's generally a joy. I'll no doubt return to it again at some point, but I think for now I consider my achievements adequate to move onto something else.

MMXCM - In the middle of Chapter 3. Plot remains epic. Gameplay at this point isn't as exciting as later on; game benefits a lot from party switching.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: October 05, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »
BvS:  Went from New Moon to Full Moon Waxing in 8 fights.  :O  Now I just have to pay attention and not let it fall again.  Also fought characters named LewsTherin and RandAlthor in the same day in the Ninja World War.  I did not know Super was playing.

WO2:  Finished Orochi and Shu stories on Normal difficulty.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: October 05, 2008, 05:31:49 PM »
If someone "misunderstands the concept" behind your main antagonist if said villain spends time in exposition, that just means your writing is laughable along with your villain, as a general rule.

Seconding this because it's easier than going into spoilerish detail about the game.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: October 05, 2008, 06:27:27 PM »
Wild ARMs 3

Having some time to sit at home means that I am finally making some real progress in this game.  Even better, I am slowly making it break despite not being as bad at breaking games as some folk here.  Regardless, Ginny has her ten shot Gatling ready for action (It feels odd that Gatling is already a viable move in randoms at Lvl 30) and I have three plots in the Secret Garden devoted to Full Carrot farming.  Oh, and the Ark Smasher is also obtained.

As far as the rest goes, I'm about to get the location for the eighth Guardian, though I may hold off on that for a bit to do some hunting for Millenial Puzzles and farm a few more Carrots.  Currently trying to decide if it's worth while to try and breed the Carrots before endgame, but probably is not.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: October 05, 2008, 08:04:27 PM »
Breeding the Carrots is pretty trivial due to how stupidly abusable the Secret Garden is in WA3. You're right in that it's probably not worth it, but if you want infinite boss gameplay skip, that's as easy as it gets. Took me less than an hour to get 99 Full Carrots, and I had raised a full stock of other stuff as well.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: October 05, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »
Mega Man 9 - All robot masters beaten, currently stuck on Wily Form 2. The bosses in Wily Castle have been pretty good.

RM Difficulty (buster-only): Concrete > Tornado > Plug > Magma > Hornet > Jewel > Splash > Galaxy
RM Difficulty (weakness): Plug > Tornado > Concrete > Hornet > Jewel > Galaxy > Magma > Splash

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: October 05, 2008, 10:14:47 PM »
World of Warcraft TCG: I'll post the long story later (for all the general TCG fans out there who I'll pretend care about non-Magic games), but short story is, through a series of flukes, I managed to make it to the Top 8 at the Realms Qualifiers. Through a series of decent plays, I managed to make it to the Top 2. Couldn't claim 1st place, but hey. I qualify for the Regional Championship come November... provided I can make the trip to Seattle.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3844 on: October 06, 2008, 12:17:36 AM »
Wild ARMs 3

Having some time to sit at home means that I am finally making some real progress in this game.  Even better, I am slowly making it break despite not being as bad at breaking games as some folk here.  Regardless, Ginny has her ten shot Gatling ready for action (It feels odd that Gatling is already a viable move in randoms at Lvl 30) and I have three plots in the Secret Garden devoted to Full Carrot farming.  Oh, and the Ark Smasher is also obtained.

As far as the rest goes, I'm about to get the location for the eighth Guardian, though I may hold off on that for a bit to do some hunting for Millenial Puzzles and farm a few more Carrots.  Currently trying to decide if it's worth while to try and breed the Carrots before endgame, but probably is not.

Is the Secret Garden hard to find or something? When did my first and only playthrough of WA3,  I never stumbled across the Secret Garden, I simply followed the story from one part to the next. As a result, I believe WA3 was quite possibly the hardest RPG I've ever played and would have never finished it were it not for Gimel Coins and Finest Arts abuse (when I say 'abuse' I mean that it was the only way I could deal damage to any of the endgame bosses).

-Djinn

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3845 on: October 06, 2008, 12:40:46 AM »
... happen to remember your Medium setups Djinn?  You should be able to do some impressive summons and weakness smiting at the least, even if you miss a lot of skills (... although, if you have Finest Arts...) and lack the cash for proper weapon upgrades...
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: October 06, 2008, 02:10:55 AM »
Really? Because I never used the Secret Garden ever(I don't even think I found it, come to think of it) and I breezed through WA3. Finest Arts is just that damn good.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: October 06, 2008, 02:16:50 AM »
FA is also really late in the game, to be fair. And FAQ-bait to boot (how to use it, not the item that unlocks it), not that this stopped you or Djinn of course.

Good medium setups do make a lot of difference, of course. Without abuse, I found WA3... hmm. Challenge wasn't bad, but certainly not in the running for hardest RPG I've ever played.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: October 06, 2008, 02:26:59 AM »
I do have to agree, I mean, the Secret Garden is great for helping you keep well stocked in healing items.  That said, I've tossed away twenty more Heal Berries that I've gotten from the SG and haven't noticed the lack.  Granted, I'm also farming Potion Berries like crazy, but that's neither here nor there.  As far as twinking out for damage, there's still stuff like Valiant and Mystic+Gems that just gets handed to you fairly early in.

Anyways, about to hit Nidhogg when I found a place that needs data from the scratched bit.  Fortunatly, I saved after blowing the giant monster thing in the sands to smithereens, so I've only got a Millenium Puzzle to redo.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: October 06, 2008, 03:32:37 AM »
World of Warcraft TCG: I'll post the long story later (for all the general TCG fans out there who I'll pretend care about non-Magic games), but short story is, through a series of flukes, I managed to make it to the Top 8 at the Realms Qualifiers. Through a series of decent plays, I managed to make it to the Top 2. Couldn't claim 1st place, but hey. I qualify for the Regional Championship come November... provided I can make the trip to Seattle.

Grats! Good luck! Did you get any decent Lewt for 2nd, or just the qualifier slot?