Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464040 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #4650 on: November 29, 2008, 01:36:59 PM »
I played like, three minutes of Team Fortress 2.

Things have changed.
1)I suck now.
2)Sentry guns can be suspended in midair! WHEN HAS THIS ATROCITY HAPPENED
3)I really, really suck now
4)I'm thinking of bringing this game along to college next time. Is it any good, still?

Better, I'd say.  For all that it was probably the most balanced class-based shooter there is from the outset, achievement weapons have made it... a little more balanced, and much more interesting.  Heavy is no longer useless without a Medic (but if he chooses the weapon that does that, he's absolutely fucked if he runs out of minigun ammo), Medics are no longer useless without a partner (though not to the point that they're broken or no longer need to rely on teammates), and Pyro is no longer useless against Soldiers (though he's not nearly as good of a sneak-attack character if he chooses this weapon), or snipers (though he's boned against other pyros if he chooses this one).  It's gotten a lot better, I'd say, so yes.  Bring it with you.

And unless things have changed in the 4 months I've been away, the sentry guns in the air thing is a glitch on custom maps, nothing more.

CTDS:

So I gave into temptation and youtubed the new ending.

Oh fuck that shit.  Out of all the possibilities you have the party beat on Lavos/Schala a bit and then get plot bitched away. Boo. Couldn't we have something better than a downer ending? I appreciated some closure to Magus/Schala, but really. Bleh.

0/10, will not buy CTDS.

I... agree and disagree.  I agree in that it's an overrated piece of shit that won't be getting my 50$.  But that's no surprise, it's CT.  I disagree in that it's not because it's a downer ending--that's stupid.  It's more because that ending continues to insist that Chrono Cross is canon.  Instead of doing something interesting with the separate worlds idea and writing a new ending unrelated to CC, they just decided to tie up one loose plot thread and cop out with a "hey go play this really crap game for full closure except it still sucks so you might as well not bother." 

But hey, as I said.  It's Chrono Trigger.  You might as well have just assumed it was going to be poorly written, overhyped, diarrhetic shit.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: November 29, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »
Wrath: Ran heroic for just about every instance in a day.  Think about that.

Also hit exalted with Wyrmrest which is a big thank god since that means I no longer have to deal with the shitty rouge drake daily.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:07:29 PM by Fudozukushi »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: November 29, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »
Wrath - Pretty much just have to work on enchants and my character is back to being raid ready with nothing much else to do.  Gotta do the shoulder enchant grind still that will take a few weeks if I could be fucked just focussing on it and remembering to do my dailies for it, but meh.  Got my Alchemy to 435 which is where it will stay until I get incidental level ups, only really care about it for cheap raiding mats.  Tailoring I have decided I will not make the gloves from it and just go for the chest which I will probably drop fairly quickly after gathering badges since there is not much badge loot and you can get Tier 7 chest token...  Whatever though the raids so far are fun anyway.

This pretty much means whatever money I get now I can drop in a money sink, probably get the ring that teleports you to Dalaran eventually.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: November 29, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
Gref, around?

SN I'm moving up to 10/10. Just DAMN to some of those scenes.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: November 29, 2008, 03:52:03 PM »
Depends what you want.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: November 29, 2008, 03:56:42 PM »
Get your sad emo ass on IRC for a sec.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: November 29, 2008, 05:44:05 PM »
CTDS:

So I gave into temptation and youtubed the new ending.

Oh fuck that shit.  Out of all the possibilities you have the party beat on Lavos/Schala a bit and then get plot bitched away. Boo. Couldn't we have something better than a downer ending? I appreciated some closure to Magus/Schala, but really. Bleh.

0/10, will not buy CTDS.

I... agree and disagree.  I agree in that it's an overrated piece of shit that won't be getting my 50$.  But that's no surprise, it's CT.  I disagree in that it's not because it's a downer ending--that's stupid.  It's more because that ending continues to insist that Chrono Cross is canon.  Instead of doing something interesting with the separate worlds idea and writing a new ending unrelated to CC, they just decided to tie up one loose plot thread and cop out with a "hey go play this really crap game for full closure except it still sucks so you might as well not bother." 

But hey, as I said.  It's Chrono Trigger.  You might as well have just assumed it was going to be poorly written, overhyped, diarrhetic shit.

No, you're about right on it. I didn't say it explicitly at the time, but I agree with what you said. The problem really is CC being canon. The entire tripe filled mess of a game simply doesn't fit with Chrono Trigger at all.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: November 29, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »
Of course CC is canon.  It's a sequel.  Been canon since it came out.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: November 29, 2008, 08:56:09 PM »
I really don't understand what you people want from this game.  Do you want Square to just pretend the sequal never existed?  There's plenty of people out there that enjoyed the game just fine, the game companies don't have to arrange things to fit what you specifically want.  If you're basing your entire decision on whether to get a game or not on the fact that it isn't disowning a fairly popular sequal, you need to step back and think for a minute.  You aren't the center of the universe or anything. 

Now, not wanting to get another version of the same game is one thing, it's the reason I have no plans to get this.  But seriously, think about what you're saying here.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: November 29, 2008, 09:19:20 PM »
I really don't understand what you people want from this game.  Do you want Square to just pretend the sequal never existed? 

That would be optimal.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: November 29, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »
*insert CC>CT hype here*

BvS:  Got several monster drops recently.  Just need to get my Full Moon back to finish Monochrome.  Been having a terrible time in the Arena lately though.

Spore:  Slowed down a lot around Badge level 8.  Doing some exploring of the Galaxy.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: November 29, 2008, 10:51:33 PM »
Why aren't people more insulted by the fact that this is the best contribution to an apparently popular and successful series that they can come up with in 7 years?  Another port 7 years after the last port?  9 years since the first and only sequel?

This is made of pure fail.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: November 29, 2008, 10:56:30 PM »
I really don't understand what you people want from this game.  Do you want Square to just pretend the sequal never existed? 

That would be optimal.

But I love Chrono Cross...

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: November 29, 2008, 11:19:06 PM »

That would be optimal.

So let me get this straight.  You want a major video game company to just up and forget that it even made a sequal to this game, a sequal that was well received by the masses and sold quite well for them, and just go on their merry way?  What the fuck are you smoking?  Do you even realize how stupid this sounds?  Wah, you didn't like Chrono Cross.  Suck it up, lots of people do.

I realize this sounds harsh but I'm getting sick of hearing all this fucking whining about one additional ending to a totally different game than the one being complained about that at least tries to put a little continuity into a series that's basically one big continuity fuck-up.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: November 29, 2008, 11:23:12 PM »
CC's distinctly considered a step down from CT by a significant majority of gamers (and you seem to be implying otherwise), for all that I agree with you in general. Square should not ignore it, but rather try to incorporate it. It does present the difficult task of salvaging the storyline mess CC made, but that's a bridge they'll only have to cross depending on the direction they take CT3 (IF THEY EVER MAKE IT. Grefter's outrage is entirely correct). Simply alluding to CC, though, shouldn't upset anyone.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: November 29, 2008, 11:47:06 PM »
I don't know why either side of this is giving a fucking shit.  At this point Square is doing both sides of the argument by doing nothing.  They aren't exactly making a sequel to CC, so it really doesn't matter in the continuity anyway.  They are acknowledging it exists by adding/slightly changing the ending which from what I gather doesn't change the canon for CT ending the slightest goddamned bit.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4666 on: November 30, 2008, 12:24:13 AM »
Why aren't people more insulted by the fact that this is the best contribution to an apparently popular and successful series that they can come up with in 7 years?  Another port 7 years after the last port?  9 years since the first and only sequel?

This is made of pure fail.

This. Fucking THIS. They are the most complacent bunch of dogfuckers who ever lived.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: November 30, 2008, 12:28:06 AM »
In fairness, CT's original ending (regardless which one you get) was...rather lighthearted.  Its just "They say good by, some silly antics happen!" The new stuff sounds like it takes things in a completely different direction, being all dark and brooding, so I can't help but wonder if some of the disdain (is that the right word?) comes from that.

I do fundamentally agree with both the fact that Square more or less dropped the series after CC outside of this Enhanced Port, which is pretty dumb cause while CC was generally considered worse, I wanna say it was fairly successful and enough to merit another game in the series (and heck, professional reviews I seem to recall gave it obscenely high scores across the board.  I know one site said "One of our only 10/10s!", Playstation Magazine gave it "Best RPG of the Year" when FF9 was in contention, etc.  You could argue this is more proof to just punt professional reviewers of course, but that's a different can of worms, and missing the point), alongside how Square should NOT suddenly pretend CC didn't exist.

There are CC fans out there, much as haters may not want to believe it...big ones at that.  The game getting a nod from a remake of its predecessor shouldn't be too bad, let alone one that tries to help tie up some loose ends between the games, thus make them connect better.  Its a flaw of CC that it had such a fucked up plot; but a successful game is still a successful game, and they aren't going to pretend it doesn't exist.

I mean, hypothetically, if FF7 is remade, and the series starts nodding at the compilation in different ways (like some random NPC mentions Genesis as being a forgotten hero of the past, or the ending tacts on a "hey look, its Kadaj!" type thing, or they turn Zack's death into something closer to what it was in Crisis Core, etc.), would that really ruin the game?
...ok, maybe it would depending how heavily the references are, though, CC and AC were pretty sane that the references/allusions to wouldn't hurt much.  Dirge of Cerberus meanwhile...>_>;
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: November 30, 2008, 01:24:14 AM »
Makes sense to me, Meeple. "Oh you guys didn't care about RD and hated CC? Well shove a wheelbarrow full of dicks up your ass, we're just going to focus on continuing series that attract FANS, instead of legions of butthurt whiners and apathetic dipshits, and leave Chrono to fester and rot."

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: November 30, 2008, 01:29:19 AM »
CC's distinctly considered a step down from CT by a significant majority of gamers (and you seem to be implying otherwise), for all that I agree with you in general. Square should not ignore it, but rather try to incorporate it. It does present the difficult task of salvaging the storyline mess CC made, but that's a bridge they'll only have to cross depending on the direction they take CT3 (IF THEY EVER MAKE IT. Grefter's outrage is entirely correct). Simply alluding to CC, though, shouldn't upset anyone.

I'm not trying to say it's an awesome game and everyone loved it FF7 style or anything, but a vast majority of gamers seemed to enjoy it and not consider it an aberration that should be stricken from existence.  Really, how many people even in the DL really think it's a truly bad game?  The plot gets ripped on a lot(and deserves it), and not many of us would call it great, but for the most part it's a decent game.  It certainly isn't bad enough to warrant this level of hatred for a remake in which one out of a multitude of endings acknowledges it exists and tries to tie the two games in the series together.  So, basically what you said there. <_<

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: November 30, 2008, 01:54:23 AM »
If it makes everyone feel better, how do you not know that the universe was at one point like the one in Chrono Cross? Maybe their destiny is only one possible outcome that branches from another event from the past. Say, a butterfly getting stepped on, or Ayla sneezing in 65 Million BC. Enter, the Twilight Zone...

Anyways, I never really considered CC a direct sequel to CT, more of just the same universe with allusions to characters and events in the previous game. The characters existed, they did stuff, its in the past. No more, no less. I've never beaten CT though, so I don't know the ending (Don't tell me it either) so maybe I'm missing something. I was in 65 Mil. BC when my emulator randomly deleted my game. I just said fuck it and left it for a long time after that. I can understand why Square would want to somehow link the games together though. I mean, they ARE linked. They made it, you just can't ignore it. I applaud them for at least giving it a go.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: November 30, 2008, 02:55:58 AM »
Finished Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin yesterday.  Death, Dracula, and True Dracula were pushovers, given that I had some High Potions, some High Tonics, and two Super Tonics.  Portrait of Ruin is a bit on the easy side, but I really liked the music.  Yes for Yuzo Koshiro.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: November 30, 2008, 03:34:46 AM »
Nothing happens in the end of Chrono Trigger, there is nothing to spoil anyway.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: November 30, 2008, 03:40:51 AM »
LFT: Just finished C1. Zeakden was a lot of fun. Algus is not easy to take down now, the innate defense/Mdefup means y ou can't just shrug off autopotion, and his support's good. I got elemental'3ed (ow) and the Knights were throwing breaks around like crazy. Status is the only semi quick way to win this fight, assuming you don't try to just rush Algus anyway.  Edit: I bet zombie+X-potion would OHKO him. I ought to try that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:43:05 AM by superaielman »
-------------------

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: November 30, 2008, 04:00:26 AM »
Wrath: Hell yes, actual gear.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:49:16 PM by Fudozukushi »