Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464251 times)

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #4825 on: December 13, 2008, 09:03:37 PM »
Dragon Quest 4: Reached the Royal Crypt, or whatever the Mod Rod is found at.

*kills one Metal Babble Slime out of 5 in first encounter, Happy Hat drops*

hate you

Super Robot Taisen 64:

Up to C14-15 intermission.

Game is slow. :( Part of that feeling is lacking frameskip on an N64 game. May transfer this over to the other computer before playing more.

F91 is god.

Also this game has some remarkably bad secrets. I mean, really, why is the Gundam Mk. II worse than the Schutzrum Dias that Quattro comes with? Sheesh.

Sonic Chronicles:

Complete.

Yay~ The final dungeon wasn't so bad. Basically Metropolis with somewhat more boring design and way less annoying randoms.

The game is spectacularly offensive on mid-game randoms. I've said this repeatedly; It bears repeating. Seriously, 75 Armor on Krons. Final boss has 30. Best otherwise is 40. 410 HP is higher than some final dungeon randoms. Shield Bots right before that, in Metropolis, hare almost as much HP as the Krons and still fairly heavy armor. The freaking final boss has 800 HP(well ignoring the plotfight), and Krons have 410 about 40% of the game earlier. What the hell.

It's otherwise bland and inoffensive. I think I'll give it 5/10, although it barely makes it there-the only really neat part about it is the area designs, which is only occasionally annoying for backtracking reasons(Stop putting Amy-only crates in, game.) and generally one of the more entertaining points.

The rest of it is collosally bland, with little battle system variety, LoD-length(but not difficulty) timed hits to make you pay attention to the game, and SONIC PLOT that is inoffensive but not really bad.

Of course, the ending implies that the game was rushed to hell on a tiny budget more than anything else could, anyways. The coders can live.

Star Ocean: First Departure:

Also completed. Beat Seven Star Ruins too.

The good: Most things. SO2's system for SO1 works very well in general, SO1's being a stripped down version of SO2's to start with. The redone music and graphics were remarkably good(Latter being better than SO2 outside of battles, too bad they made the graphics direct rips from 2 in battle.). Added PAs, lots of them and actually fairly entertaining at points, help the fact that this is STAR OCEAN 1 PLOT too. Galaxy and Universe mode(sorta). Rebalanced moves remotely have versatility.

The bad: Galaxy and Universe mode(require cheats). Moves don't upgrade on use, but instead just gain power like spells, which is honestly quite half-assed and boring by comparison. (._.) STAR OCEAN PLOT is better done, but it's still STAR OCEAN PLOT. Most of the graphics in battle, as I said, are direct rips from SO2, and the exceptions often feel half-assed and underanimated, and occasionally recycled. Added characters are mediocre(Welch, whose moves are poor but equipment mostly saves, and Erys, who is a mage in a team that requires you to get the other three mages. Erys is good otherwise, too. ._.). No way to get back to Roak after hitting the final savepoint(or any time after you hit Fargett for that matter) is a downer, although objectively it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Overall, probably comparable in rating to SO2. (7/10? I think I used to have it rated 6. I need to redo my list.), but somewhat worse. It's not bad. Definitely worth the play.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: December 13, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »
Random:

Is there anyway to play FF4: the After...

you know translated and not on a cell phone?

~

Game looks amazingly nostalgic and full of Kain goodness!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: December 13, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »
It's not that big a deal though. Bootylicious is in the dictionary too.

Difference there being that Bootylicious is a real word.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: December 13, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »
Cap K: Would Lacey Unmentionables be the Priestess Shadow in the castle? Or are you somehow further along than me? >_>

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: December 14, 2008, 12:33:29 AM »
Lunar:SSSC- Started, beat the Weird Woods. Went through one round of the battle without Laike before accepting his help. Ramus is a load, but amusing.

Quote of the Game so far:

"Another earthquake! They've been happening a lot lately. I wonder what could be causing them?"
*Ramus walks up*

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4830 on: December 14, 2008, 01:35:29 AM »
Dragon Quest 4: Reached the Royal Crypt, or whatever the Mod Rod is found at.

*kills one Metal Babble Slime out of 5 in first encounter, Happy Hat drops*

Nice, that's uh like super 1000 to 1 odds. If you want another, have Taloon try and steal from them.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: December 14, 2008, 02:21:25 AM »
Ragnarok Online DS: It is out folks. So I picked this up, only to find out YOU HAVE TO DO A SINGLE PLAYER SCENARIO FIRST before you can do the online play. And the online play does have a party-up feature, except it's just a gauntlet 50-floor tower run. Though I'm assuming it's going to be fun because of the party combinations. While I prepare for that, I'll ask you guys.

Do I run: Acolyte, (DS New) Shaman, Blacksmith OR Dark Knight?

Mainly because I don't know if RO:DS has 2-2 classes =_=
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4832 on: December 14, 2008, 02:52:08 AM »
Ragnarok Online DS: It is out folks. So I picked this up, only to find out YOU HAVE TO DO A SINGLE PLAYER SCENARIO FIRST before you can do the online play. And the online play does have a party-up feature, except it's just a gauntlet 50-floor tower run. Though I'm assuming it's going to be fun because of the party combinations. While I prepare for that, I'll ask you guys.

I've only seen Ragnarok Online in passing, but I pretty much pegged it as a standard MMO?

Does the DS single player scenario have any significant differences from this? Like... do you control multiple party members? Is there an actual plot? That sort of thing?

...also, is it in English?

-Djinn

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: December 14, 2008, 02:54:10 AM »
I've only seen Ragnarok Online in passing, but I pretty much pegged it as a standard MMO?

Does the DS single player scenario have any significant differences from this? Like... do you control multiple party members? Is there an actual plot? That sort of thing?

...also, is it in English?

-Djinn

1) DS Single Player DOES have an actual plot!
2) You only control one guy. A red-haired dude called Ares. Though you can change his name.
3) No, it got leaked. In Japanese. The real release date is... This week. 18th.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: December 14, 2008, 02:57:56 AM »
Random:

Is there anyway to play FF4: the After...

you know translated and not on a cell phone?

~

Game looks amazingly nostalgic and full of Kain goodness!

As of now? No.  Much like there's no way to play FF7 Before Crisis in the same vain.

They claim they're gonna "try" to localize it in some manner, so its not impossible, but wouldn't get your hopes up.  Though, from what I've read, the game's plot can be summed up as "FF4 + Shonen Stereotypes + Shit load of retarded"
Note when I say "FF4" I don't mean "The characters are back!" I mean it quite literally just rehashes every single FF4 plot element, between "OMG KAIN BETRAYED US!", "evil villain keeps kicking your ass and stealing the crystals despite valiant efforts" (only its far more retarded here.  At least FF4 had you fail in creative ways, such like Damcyan was simple "You didn't make it in time" or Dark Crystal #1 used MANOS THE HAND OF FATE! or Earth Crystal involved a generic black mail scheme.  The After is all "You reach Crystal, Maiden comes in, kicks your ass cause SHE CAN, takes it, walks away."), "lol beat your dark side" (ACTUALLY, it does that one twice, so it doesn't rehash it, it REUSES IT A FEW HOURS LATER >_< )...fuck, there's even a strong indication that Maiden pulls a Darth Vader like Golbez did, just with a different character, and it makes EVEN LESS SENSE HERE.  Just about every god damn plot element in FF4 is reused in some idiotic manner, to the point where its not nostalgia, its just rewriting FF4's plot in a different order.  It says something that a lot of these points are used FAR WORSE than FF4 did, and unlike FF4, it doesn't have the excuse of age to keep up with it.

Like I said, take FF4, and splice it with bad shonen stereotypes (eg no matter how bad ass your team is, the villain is ALWAYS stronger, is one example.  Doesn't help that the Crystals can be equated to Dragon Balls now -_-)...hell, people are even equating Lunarians to Saya-jins cause of the shit FF4 The After pulls.

So, uh, yeah, just warning you.  You'll note I didn't say anything about Kain the entire post (actually, if anything, Kain sounds like one of the lesser nuisances of the plot, since it feels like they tried something ALMOST unique with him.)

That said...

God of War: In the Middle of Pandora's Temple, just got the Atlas Handle.  A bit lost on where to go next, but there's not a lot of area to explore so I should figure out in due time (actually, I have a good idea since I can see across a pit a guy holding the world on his back, I wonder if that's related to ATLAS in anyway <.< >.>)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4835 on: December 14, 2008, 03:05:03 AM »
I've seen a few fan attempts at translating FF7 Before Crisis on YouTube, there might be a few of these for FF4 The After if you're REALLY desperate to get a glimpse of the horrifying world that Meeple just described.

-Djinn

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: December 14, 2008, 04:15:59 AM »
MK-Chapter 10. Everybody's almost caught up on AP more or less, thanks to Philsophers Gloves. I suppose now they're going to throw a bunch of stupid gimmick bosses at me now, if the last chapter was any indication. Hooray. Ah well, it's lategame, I suppose now's a good a time as any for the claws to come out.

GH3-Beaten The Way It Ends, still no luck with Take This Life or Through the Fire and Flames. Went back and improved a bunch of scores(4-starred Cliffs of Dover! Man, that song is awesome once you get better at it), getting my career score just shy of 10 million. I'll keep going tomorrow, should be able to pass it. It feels kind of weird that I'm basically done with the game and I only have 85 out of 1000 gamer points. What's up with that?
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Pyro

« Reply #4837 on: December 14, 2008, 04:29:42 AM »
Last Remnant:

Beaten half the Base Battles. These involve two parts: A fight against a bloody boatload of randoms (a fair number of which surprised me in Base #2 by having MT OHKO DAMAGE), followed immediately by a boss fight (and bosses have lots and lots of support). With no opportunity to save inbetween. These aren't bad in theory, but they really demonstrate how terrible the game engine is. Its. So. Freaking. Boring. Whether you win or not isn't even really up to you, its largely up to luck. I think I'll just put this on hiatus.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: December 14, 2008, 06:12:30 AM »
Played Persona 4 for an hour.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: December 14, 2008, 07:26:35 AM »
Meep, you now peek my interest. Do explain what happened in FF4 The After, how horrible it sounds is amazing.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: December 14, 2008, 07:38:10 AM »
SRW:OG1  -  Mostly just using this to kill time when traveling.  It's in a bit of trouble at the moment though as I just started reading Problems of Philosophy and got XF back.  Though, since I'm at the Clone Army I may just stick in a bit of time in order to finish the game off and return it.

FE10 - This game, meanwhile, laughs at puny philosophy and XF.  Anyways, finished off Part 3 today.  The stylish battle is still stylish, and the other two saw Micaiah still being a nuker that dares not let anything get close, ever.  Her last ten levels have almost entirely been three point levels of Mag, Skl, and Res, with the occasional point of HP.  It's so bad that Reyson, untransformed, is giving her durability lessons.  Nolan is also coming out underwhelming, but this isn't really an issue as I was hoping not to use him in the final dungeon anyways.  Aren, as much as he does kick ass, is still not as good as Nephenee, and I'll have my pick between Brom and Gatrie, both of whom are turning out very well.  That said, finally started Ike/Titania, and may try to keep that into the final dungeon in order to give her the Urvan this time.  Calil is also getting trained for Rexbolt usage, though I may end up giving the mage slot to Pelleas, who I don' t have quite yet.

Also, Edward has almost caught up to Aren in speed.

Next up!  Ike and co in the last night battle.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: December 14, 2008, 07:50:18 AM »
 Though, from what I've read, the game's plot can be summed up as "FF4 + Shonen Stereotypes + Shit load of retarded"

Redundancy Department of Redundancy.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: December 14, 2008, 08:05:14 AM »
Lunar: SSSC- Through the Sewers and dropped 200 pounds of dead weight from the party. Nash is cool.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4843 on: December 14, 2008, 08:29:39 AM »
Civ 4- You know what pisses me off? I fight a ton of wars and I win them all. But my people are still unhappy with their "The world views you as a villain!" shit. I'M WINNING, YOU FUCKS. LOVE ME.

That said being a militant jackass is kind of fun, especially if you incorporate Nationhood in to your government so you can do the whole "Blood alone moves the wheels of history!" schtick.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: December 14, 2008, 08:34:08 AM »
Kimi no Yuusha: Yawn Gallery to Confusion yawn durable enemies yawn silly durable bosses yawn farming consumables yawn getting new weapons.

Maybe when I reach B70F and below I'll find some more substance.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4845 on: December 14, 2008, 08:53:36 AM »
Rob, you really need to look up and play Sim City Societies.  It is like the only game ever where playing a militant douchebag causes the people to love you.  It is by far the easiest way to make everyone happy.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: December 14, 2008, 09:25:50 AM »
its largely up to luck.

Wait? What? The commands are fairly easy to manipulate once you remember the condition on how they appear.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: December 14, 2008, 09:44:29 AM »
Civ 4- You know what pisses me off? I fight a ton of wars and I win them all. But my people are still unhappy with their "The world views you as a villain!" shit. I'M WINNING, YOU FUCKS. LOVE ME.

That said being a militant jackass is kind of fun, especially if you incorporate Nationhood in to your government so you can do the whole "Blood alone moves the wheels of history!" schtick.

I love Civ 4, my buddies and I here at the University play it all the time over lan. I'm terrible though, I'm not nearly aggressive enough.

Minor things that you may find as spoilers below

Persona 4: Yeah, I caved and started playing this instead of beating P3 first. The characters seem a lot more... real. Shit just starts happening to them, and they try to deal with it the best they can, bumbling all the way. The town kinda reminds of of my hometown, except less home owned businesses. The stores all on one street, the schools, and then a few big stores around here and there, and then just some houses. We're more suburbia instead of rural though. I like the fact that I can give direct commands to my teammates now if I so choose, or I can do it P3 style. Nice to have the option. Anyways, I'm in mid-May going through the second area to save Kanji. Which I might say is hilarious when you see his inner self. Enjoying this game immensely so far. The everyday battles are much more difficult now that I can't just scan the enemy for weaknesses and have to figure it out myself first. The Castle's endboss was surprisingly more difficult then the enemies around (which I like), but because the enemies below were so much weaker, it was hard to get stronger to fight it. I still can't beat the extra boss after returning, it keeps OHKO-ing my entire party with a certain move.

Also, like the out-of-dungeon mechanics much better too. Its possible to boost your rank with more than one Social Link at once now. Some of the people you meet are friends with each other too, and at random times you can hang out in groups. Like, you know, in real life. Also like how there's five character social stats instead of three. Nicely refined there. Also, my key thing about Social Links. You actually become friends with each person in your party separately, instead of clumping them together as "LAWL UR PARTY IZ ONE PERSON, NAWTHING MOAR" (though it does keep the Fool arcana as the bond of your entire party. You also gain links with the people you live with. All in all, much more "real" in the social aspects of the game. Atlus has done an extremely good job indeed with Persona 4 so far.

Taishyr

« Reply #4848 on: December 14, 2008, 12:33:33 PM »
Persona 3: Just finished summer vacation. I think I've got the final team roster. Aside from whoever gets axes, actually.

Thoughts thus far:  (WARNING: CONTAINS MILD SPOILERS IN THAT I TELL YOU WHO JOINS. THIS MAY NOT BE DESIRED. Iunno.)

Junpei: Non-main MVP early-game, dropped a fair bit when Aigis signed up, but still often makes it onto my teams. Cheap damage, since the amount of MP I need to heal that much damage is rather low? Sign me up. The ST Fire magic's icing on the cake, as it gives him an easy way to knock people down. Yeah, it's horrible on damage, but who cares when it's disabling half to three-fourths of the enemy?

Yukari: Has a period of massive lag around June, but she's okay. The durability's annoying but the healing's awesome.

Mitsuru: Arguable LVP. At this point, I do have to note that everyone's actually usable, which is nice, but... she spams status too much and at the wrong times, her physical accuracy seems to blow, and she wastes too much MP Bufula'ing people individually when a Mabufu is usually cheaper/faster/more effective. This being said, game-best (aside from MC) magic damage is useful.

Akihiko: He's been there. Good-but-not-great damage, backup healing... nyeh, he's like a slightly more focused Mitsuru who doesn't have the status issue.

Aigis: MVP on arrival. Nukes randoms, makes non-lightning bosses sweat bullets. Main disadvantage over Junpei is the option of a magic element to knock people down with, but for pure damage she's excellent. Just wish she'd use Swift Strike instead of Kill Rush a bit more.

Koromaru: Nulling fire/dark? Shiny. Weak to an ID element? Definitely not shiny. This being said, he's effectively the actual fire mage of the squadron, and gets ID to boot, so I don't object too much.

Ken: Doesn't get a secondary element nulling, weak to the more common ID element... I think he may take LVP for me against randoms, but I just got him so I'm not being fair in this judgment.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:35:38 PM by Taishyr »

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: December 14, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »
Kimi no Yuusha: Okay, attempted a B41F-B50F run just now.

All was going well, I was at B48F and was attempting the boss at B50F.

Floor Trap!
You're all alone

Okay, I thought. This'll be fine. Then I saw who I was stuck with. Ryunette.

Got Paralyzed.

Getting Paralyzed when you're the only one left? Insta-game over.

30 minutes of game time wasted.

FUCK YOU!!!!!