Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464099 times)

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #425 on: January 20, 2008, 11:39:30 PM »
PCB: Reimu bad ending got. Yeah, it took me three continues to beat the game. But I didn't use any until Mouku, so at least I'm getting better.

You mean Youmu?  Mokou's the IN Extra boss. >_>

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 21, 2008, 01:45:36 AM »
S4 - Mmmm, Lino looks surprisingly good for an UOM. Also seems cool, which is refreshing after the piles of fail that appeared in my way, Glen notwithstanding.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 21, 2008, 03:25:20 AM »
Beat RKS normal mode. Great fun all around, and it was certainly enjoyable.

Now, Rider mode. I managed to beat the eight bosses without too much difficulty. I had the most trouble against the time stopping one, and I tried out the wall. I've... almost gotten him below half life, once!

What I do is let the creature to the left of the boss room beat me up until I'm below half life for the super charge attack, and then jump from the top platform to the bottom, releasing a charge attack while I'm going down. This sounds like it'd work, and it does... for a little while. Things quickly go wrong, and I fall in a pit, or just explode due to my low life.

At least the stage is easy.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 21, 2008, 03:55:18 AM »
OS-Cornelius 3. Maybe I'm just getting better or maybe the game is just getting easier, but I'm having far less trouble so far. Spin attack is great fun, especially since you can control the direction for cheesiness. Also, the Odette fight is really fucking annoying and I am really hoping I don't have to do it in every chapter. The...chestplate guy wouldn't have been too bad except for when his support felt like burying mines.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 21, 2008, 05:55:46 AM »
RKS:

I attempted and finished a no energy tank run of the Fortress stages with Fate. It wasn't as hard as I thought. The first two bosses are pushovers with the right strategy and barely bear mentioning. Death is trickier, there's no really safe way to dispatch of his scythe. I found Grolla's charged up laser useful enough to do the job. Death 2 was a joke this time, I got him in an infinite (ko) loop of jumping down, being whacked by Lilli and repeating. He didn't even get an attack off, it was awesome. Dracula is someone I already no tanked before and the battle went really well anyway.

The spider's not too hard. I died once but that was due to more general fuckupery on my part than anything else. Yellow Devil was a bit more challenging, but I pulled it off in part due to a nice bit of design. Unlike most Megaman games, you don't take damage being behind Yellow Devil as he goes from one side of the screen to the other. So once the back clears out you can hide out there if you take a hit. The boss rush wasn't noteworthy; the only hard one is Freudia and I had the timestopper charged up. Now Irismachine? The first form's easy, Lust Atom and jumping do it in with minimal damage. The second form's more of a stretch, but as long as you're quick with bombing it's not hard.  I got it without much difficulty, yay.

As for Iris herself? Fuuuuuck. She's the boss I've fought the least since it's easy to just blow what tanks you have left to finish the game. Her first form's not too hard, but it's really easy to take stupid hits. If you mis anticipate what attack is coming, you'll usually take a hit trying to dodge the wrong way. I ended up blowing all my Lust Atom with charged shots to make this form go quicker. Iris 2 is a cast iron bitch. Between the feathers, the background, the attacks and the teleporting the level of visual clutter is immense. This really ruins my concentration and I got a few deaths from that. Ultimately, it's all about focusing on dodging and letting Lilli do the hard work. It's not that long an effort since she does two bars of damage per hit.

Fate's gameplay is well balanced. This play session reminded me of that; the game's construction makes everything a lot of fun. It's also why I dislike Rider mode(Amid other things), it's not so well balanced for her. Speaking of Rider mode, I gave the wall another few shots. Nothing doing there, but I didn't try too hard. It's not an impossible hump to get over, but I'm not attached enough to Grolla's gameplay to bother.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 21, 2008, 06:09:44 AM »
MMZXA: Just got Model P and Model L!

Model P has been dramatically improved, given it hits a much wider area, and on Ashe, it has a shield as its charged ability.
Model L...well, at least now I have a Melee Weapon, and its still awesome underwater!  Its charged shot...hard to say how useful that'll be.

FE9: Just beat Elf...er...Ena <_<;

Mia decided to get some strength finally! Like, 3 points in the last 4 levels! She now has 14 Strength at level 20/5 or something <_<;

Highest level character, not including Prepromos, is Jill at level 20/8 right now.  No, I swear, i didn't actively try to do this, she just happen to gave that many due to mobility + awesome use of Steel Axes, etc.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:11:24 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
.hack//GU 3- Nearing the end. Clearing out the Gomorras from the Lost Grounds. Neat scene with Alkaid, but sadly her VA is all kinds of terrible. Also cleared Bulwark, so just Battlefield and Dragonbein left.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 21, 2008, 10:50:46 AM »
Snow, at least you have discovered the speed up button for sailing unlike some poor souls
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 21, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »
There are people who played S4 without knowing about the speed-up button?

... ... ...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 21, 2008, 11:20:51 AM »
PCB: Reimu bad ending got. Yeah, it took me three continues to beat the game. But I didn't use any until Mouku, so at least I'm getting better.

You mean Youmu?  Mokou's the IN Extra boss. >_>

Oops. Yeah, that's who I meant. Half-ghost with a sword (though how exactly someone gets to be half-ghost is beyond me).

Taishyr

« Reply #435 on: January 21, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »
Well, from her dialogue, she's probably half-baked.

Lady Ashe

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 21, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »
Persona 3.

I love this game. The gameplay is pretty damn good. Being unable to directly control characters can be a pain, but the A.I. does its job quite well. Some of the boss fights haven't been all that difficult so far, but a few of them could be really nasty with status effects. I'm up against one right now that has an attack that casts charm on the entire party. Ouchie. The regular enemies are starting to get pretty tough too. If you can't knock down all of the enemies at once, you're in pretty bad shape. It's really unforgiving, so if you get unlucky and miss or make a single mistake, you're probably dead or near-death unless you happen to have an immunity to the enemies attacks.

Then there is the dating sim aspect which kicks all sorts of ass. Most of the social links have the person going through some sort of trouble in their life, and it's up to the main character, as their friend, to help them out. They're awesome and rewarding both in terms of gameplay and the feeling that you get from a job well done. Maya is really well done, and could probably pass off for a real person if I didn't know this is a single player game. Chihiro is just adorable, and all of the other ones I'm working on look like they have a lot of potential as well.

Only in September(I think) right now, so there is still a ton of game to go, but it's already really awesome and shooting up my list of favourite video games.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 21, 2008, 03:24:37 PM »
Persona 3 is wonderful.

If you're having trouble with the dancers, try making Narcissus (LOVERS).  When you make him, make sure he has a heart next to his level (Igor will say something to the effect of, "hay this is cool you might want to see what happens".  BEFORE he gets to the level he learns his last skill (Dekunda at level 24), save, preferably very close to the next level (like one more battle worth of experience.  Register him.  Level him up, and he'll give you his heart item, Narcissus flower, which nulls charm.  Delete, resummon, repeat until you can make your whole party immune to charm.  Should make the fight easier. 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 21, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »
Snow, at least you have discovered the speed up button for sailing unlike some poor souls

... you know, I don't think I'd have gone beyond Middleport if I didn't find out that button existed one minute into sailing. But then, how oblivious do you have to be to not find out that R1 speeds you up? Feels intuitive considering that's the run button on land.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 21, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »
Ah, I remember the speed up button.  for a little while, I was unsure whether it worked or was just wishful thinking on my part, since I kept getting in encounters or hitting invisible barriers before hitting top speed.

Thanks for reminding me.  I was on the verge of picking up S4 again to see if I could muster the caring to beat it.  Nope.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #440 on: January 21, 2008, 09:32:55 PM »

... you know, I don't think I'd have gone beyond Middleport if I didn't find out that button existed one minute into sailing. But then, how oblivious do you have to be to not find out that R1 speeds you up? Feels intuitive considering that's the run button on land.

By run, you mean "double the walking animation frame rate" right?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 22, 2008, 12:41:10 AM »
S4 - Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh I hate Mahjong.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 22, 2008, 12:45:00 AM »
Well, from her dialogue, she's probably half-baked.

Not just her dialogue, that's an official description. >_>

"Half-human, half-ghost, and half-baked"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 22, 2008, 02:11:58 AM »
S4 - Okay over Mahjong hate. Why am I not excited with the fact that the Rune of Punishment got a L3, I wonder. Man, worst True Rune ever.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 22, 2008, 03:12:03 AM »
I never understood how somebody could be half-ghost. Is like half of her body rotting or is she only mostly-dead like in the Princess Bride or what?

OS-On chapter 6. Spinning is just utterly broken. I can mow through anything with no trouble whatsoever. I guess the hardest boss so far would be...Wagner? He had lots more HP than the other bosses, seems like. Plus he had some pretty nasty stuff he could do. Still steamrolled him while only nedding to heal once.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 22, 2008, 03:14:54 AM »
No, she just has a ghost half that floats along with her.

The white part alongside her is her ghost half.  This isn't a great pic, but             ing on this computer is brutal. <_<

EDIT: image fixed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:20:18 AM by Yakumo »

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 22, 2008, 03:15:27 AM »
...image and searching?  What the hell, this thing keeps finding new ways to fail.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 22, 2008, 03:17:23 AM »
Well... when a human and a ghost love each other very much...

PoDD:  Found I like Chiyuri's playstyle a lot.  Kotohime can burn in hell.

Pearl:  Won the Master Rank Tough Super Contest with my Parasect.  Grr!  Tough Parasect!

Pyro

« Reply #448 on: January 22, 2008, 03:18:11 AM »
It took me a while to figure out that you could speed up the boat. It isn't horribly intuitive at all, I don't think. Pressing a button to speed up sailing isn't something a player will necessarily think of right away.

Horrible S4 memories go away go away. And people wonder why Viki is so loved.

Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song

Playing as Claudia, and completely without a clue. I've gotten some nice skills for her, but the rest of my party sucks hard, despite me throwing some skills their way they still refuse to get glimmers very often. Eh.

I'm using Lurk/Move Silent a lot so that I don't have to fight enemies every two steps. Apparently this also slows the plot progression. Well, whatever. I've done a handful of quests after the starting ones, but things are moving pretty slowly. The need to recruit some people to do certain quests is extremely annoying when you only have two spare slots (since the beasts Claudia starts with can't be dismissed yet). Well, I'll just keep trucking. I'm disappointed with the game's plot choices. Namely that the characters don't really do anything themselves. Claudia is my main and she's had very few lines that give me any insight at all into her character/motivations/whatever. Well, I wasn't playing the game expecting plot.

I was expecting an awesome soundtrack after all the hype, and RSMS delivers on that front at least.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 22, 2008, 03:18:29 AM »
Pathetically? Captain K's explanation is actually spot-on for Youmu.