imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472195 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #725 on: February 11, 2008, 05:48:20 AM »
MMXCM: So I'm trying to find the Joker in Chap 5 and all that.  Suddenly, I run into an enemy that is a large Bee...one that looks reminscent to something from MMX1's Highway stage.

I then remember "wait, aren't these things in the final dungeon?"  It was at this moment I saw Spider attack it, do 150 damage or something, and its health virtually unchanged.  Following attack was Marino doing hits of 1, 0 and 1.

...yeah, I turned the game off then.  Needless to say, I know exactly what NOT to do there <_<;

Demon's Crest: Beat that stupid Snail I couldn't beat a while.  Now trying to the wolf of the newly opened Ice area.  He's similarly whorish.

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 11, 2008, 04:46:49 PM »
Soul Nomad: Gideons are just as horribly overpowered as they should be.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 11, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
PB: Chapter 5. It's different from the usual N1 fare- from the contain system to Marona (Who is stupid and innocent to the point to remind me of Justin) to the bright setting. The graphics and sea theme remind me more of a Chrono Cross than a Disgaea, which is a nice change of pace.

Ash is so completely unequipped to deal with Marona that it's hilarious. Poor guy.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 11, 2008, 10:11:14 PM »
Soul Nomad: The game cheated!  It randomly spawned a  99999 stat Bandit during a plot battle.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 11, 2008, 10:13:09 PM »
Yeah, that's a rarish bug that's attributed to...two battles in the game? Just bad luck if it happens, and why you should save before the bandit fight early in the game even on a replay.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 12, 2008, 04:36:21 AM »
PB: Chapter 5. It's different from the usual N1 fare- from the contain system to Marona (Who is stupid and innocent to the point to remind me of Justin) to the bright setting. The graphics and sea theme remind me more of a Chrono Cross than a Disgaea, which is a nice change of pace.

Ash is so completely unequipped to deal with Marona that it's hilarious. Poor guy.

Speaking of which, have you progress on Generation of Chaos? You are the one person I need for my neatherworld fad.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 12, 2008, 05:07:31 AM »
Soul Nomad: Tore up the rest of the maingame. Saw the Juno ending, in which you receive an open invitation to stop by her house any time you want to get biz-zay. No, seriously, that's basically what she said. If not in those words.

Okay, I'll probably make another run through the demon path just for kicks and then send this to the evil one and his brother on Saturday. So yeah, one of you bums needs to PM me your address.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 12, 2008, 07:16:48 AM »
Not fighting Median?

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #733 on: February 12, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »
Playing about a dozen things concurrently, but today I tried to power through Growlanser 5. Now I only have 12 missions left plus 4 optional missions and any sidequests I feel like doing. I think I'll play around in the coliseum for a while.

Game's pretty entertaining so far. Not amazing, but it does some interesting things storywise. The game is basically a Fantasy-ized version of the Cold War, with all the factions fighting over control of various superweapons (WMDs!) which all happen to be powered FF7-style by the life energy of the Earth or, more directly, by literally consuming human beings. The game should get a medal for having no less than 3 separate human-consuming superweapons in a single cutscene. It's like Soylent Green, only I'm not surprised by the ending anymore (blame Fullmetal Alchemist). The Japanese seem to have a love for powering their electronics with human batteries. I guess you could say that this little twist at least makes the game feel more dire and less childish than I would have originally expected.

Only noteworthy thing to mention about gameplay is how ridiculously easy it is to break the game's skillplate system. Double-arrow tiles would normally be hard to come by, but the cloning item is available for sale very early in game. These tiles are the cornerstone to game-breaking. I tried it out on Tal's advice, but I've gone back to my pre-broken save so that the game's difficulty remains intact.

With the difficulty intact, the gameplay remains pretty challenging, but not annoyingly so. The (optional) alternate viewpoint missions have been pretty interesting, kind of reminiscent of playing around as Koroku and Thomas in Suikoden III. 

The only thing that stands out as horrible is the music and the stilted dialog. Parts of the script sound completely literally translated from Japanese. And then there will be the occasional oddball joke or pop-culture reference which will blow me away (The ghetto punk Futondog, in particular, was actually laugh-worthy). Korin's 'Gabbing' skill is also pretty good for a laugh when it activates ("Have you seen the size of Fanille's hat? She must have a pretty strong head!"). Otherwise, try to ignore how boring the dialog is and just concentrate on how amusing the concept of human-consuming WMDs are. >.>;;

-Djinn

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 12, 2008, 02:50:20 PM »

Speaking of which, have you progress on Generation of Chaos? You are the one person I need for my neatherworld fad.

Nope, the complete lack of anything being explained in game and the apparent depth are a turnoff right now.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 12, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »
Yeah, that's a rarish bug that's attributed to...two battles in the game? Just bad luck if it happens, and why you should save before the bandit fight early in the game even on a replay.

That battle forced me into my old oversave habit.

Soul Nomad: Heroman is whack!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 12, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
Psychopath of War:  Almost up to the Rings of Pandora, which I am informed is to God of War as Russia is to Asia, meaning I'm not getting out anytime soon.  The game is good, but there are so many bad decisions made about it.  Like making you do the Sirens in the Desert level or making you jam R2 in order to open a bloody door.  On the flipside, the gameplay continues to be mindlessly fun and the storyline isn't as bad as I was expecting, either.  They do a pretty good job of reiterating that Kratos is an unpitiable psychopath, which is pretty interesting in and of itself.  It's shallow, but it's kind of hard to think about that when you're thinking, "whee! Fire knives!" the entire time.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 12, 2008, 08:04:40 PM »

Nope, the complete lack of anything being explained in game and the apparent depth are a turnoff right now.

Wimp.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 12, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »
Wah. I'm enjoying leveling in Phantom Brave, then it's onto Soul Nomad after that.
-------------------

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 12, 2008, 08:42:37 PM »
P3:  Finished getting Temp PC all his skills in Monad, one day before said PC leaves permanently.  :)

Also, I have a level 83 Fuuka.  Go go bare hand attack!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 12, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »
Soul Nomad: Got Lujei.  Less insane then I've been led to believe.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 13, 2008, 03:32:09 AM »
FFXII: Beat up more hunts, got Bubble (yay~...although Bubble Belt would likely be much better), and generally did very little in the way of plot advancement since there isn't enough of it to be worth advancing. Got to Mateus and got sleepwhored, so naturally this requires mass sleep blocking or something, yay~
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 13, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »
Finished Final Fantasy XII

Completely stormed through the game and smashed everything in sight. FF12 lends itself far too easily to power-gaming, seeing as how I finished the main game in roughly 40 hours at level 65ish with essentially ultimate equipment and all areas explored (including Pharos Tower). The real kicker is that you actually save a lot of time by doing this, since from what I gather, it takes about 55-60 hours to do this "normally". I guess OHKOing enemies and killing bosses within 30 seconds instead of 5HKOing enemies and spending 10 minutes on bosses adds up, due to the sheer number of enemies you kill. Since I finished the game, a mini review is in order!

Two words sum up FF12 perfectly: wasted potential. I guess I'll go over the few good points first before addressing the slew of problems the game had.

One of the best features of FF12 is that the FF series has finally given up on the horribly anachronistic random encounter system and put enemies directly on the field. I like being able to have some degree of control whether to fight battles or not, and FF12 does this reasonably well. Additionally, the world design of the game is pretty damned good. The various areas are incredibly well detailed and are quite beautiful. Final Fantasy 12 manages details within a given space almost as well as the Castlevania games do, which is very impressive. This makes the game's world much more immersive and fun to look at. This especially helps relieve some of the tedium of actually slogging through those areas. Finally, the music is fantastic. Some people found the music to be forgettable, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. The various pieces of music set the mood and atmosphere perfectly for the various areas; a melancholy flute and harp melody contrasted with heavy strings in an abandoned underground railway, fast paced brass-heavy melodies mixed with a flute and oboe counter-melody for a wide-open grassland, and a rhythmic syncopated string and percussion melody for a desert cliff area are some examples. The ultimate piece of music is the the music for the final battle, which is just epic and awesome, using the perfect melodies and harmonies. I guess if you prefer Uematsu's simplistic ditty melodies (which admittedly are easier to remember) over Sakimoto's more complex multi-layered melodies, you might not like the soundtrack, but I greatly prefer the latter.

The worst problem with the game is the horribly designed, pile of shit, tedious, retarded, aborted fetus of a treasure chest system. Words cannot describe just how horrible this system is. Before you even get a chance to open a chest, the chest must actually spawn first. This usually ranges from 25-100%, and most chests spawn around 70% of the time. When you open a chest, you have usually a 50% chance to receive a crappy amount of Gil or an item. If you get an item, you usually have a 50% chance of receiving worthless crap or a decent item. Thus, only ~15% of the time will you ever receive anything that isn't shit from a chest, and many times, even the "good" item is some piece of equipment you could buy in a store anyways. The most aggravating example of this horrible system is getting the Demonsbane, the "reward" for defeating an optional boss. If you beat the boss, you get to run through an enemy infested area for a 70% chance of finding a chest that has a 22.5% chance of actually giving you the Demonsbane (as opposed to Gil or a worthless Holy Mote). Some fucking "reward."

Closely related to the spectacular idiocy of the chest system is the Gil/Loot system. You don't get Gil from defeating enemies. No, you get a chance that the enemy will drop an item whose sole purpose is to be sold for Gil. Moreover, in order to get items that actually sell for a worthwhile amount, you must "chain" the enemies by killing the same type of enemy repeatedly without shifting to other enemies. If that weren't bad enough, in order to get your chain to a high level quickly, you must refrain from picking up any drops until your chain is at max level, otherwise you'll stick at a low chain for a looooong time. This just adds to the “boring and tedious” factor since you can’t even have fun killing a wide variety of enemies. The real pain in the ass is that it’s too easy to accidently break the chain (due to AI controlled gambits hitting the wrong enemy before you have a chance to correct it) or pick up loot (due to a sudden shift in camera angle). Finally, most of the good items require the “very rare” drop of an enemy, which is a pathetic  1% chance (upgraded to 5% if you max your chain level). This makes farming the godly gear a tedious pain in the ass. Of course, if you don’t get the godly gear, you’ll be 5-6HKOing basic enemies, which makes going through the more enemy-dense areas just as time consuming, tedious, and boring (not to mention you don’t get the godly gear!).

The final nail in the “holy shit this game is boring and tedious” coffin is the sheer number of pass through areas. Think back to Wild Arms 4 and the trek between Guara Bobelo and Buckeye Station. FF12 is just like that, only without any character dialogue or tidbits on the world’s history as you’re making your trek. On top of that, if you like to fully explore areas, it can take upwards of 30-60 minutes to fully explore each area. Given that there are often 2-4 pass-through areas between each plot point, it can take a full 2-4 hours to reach the next plot destination. The silver lining in this ugly cloud is that for the most part, the scenery is awesome and helps dull the edge of the tedium as you slog through the areas. This is also where power-leveling saves you a great deal of time. Being able to OHKO enemies makes it all the quicker to move on to new and better things.

The plot and characters are actually middle of the ground. The character development largely sucks, for the most part. Vaan, Panelo, and Fran are just a massive waste of space and could be replaced by generics and you’d have the same effect. Ashe, Balthier, and Basch are decently developed and you care a lot more about them than you do the three wastes of oxygen. Reddas could have used a lot more development. You get the feeling he’s someone important, but he’s thrown at you suddenly, and only gives a quick blurb on his backstory. Similarly, most of the villains are pretty lame with piss development.

Code: [Select]
The only decent villains were Cid and Venat. Cid mostly because he was Hojo done correctly and had the opposite motivation of most villains: humans should manage their own affairs and have no need to be ruled by a god. Vayne, on the otherhand, was just fucking boring and retarded.
The plot isn’t bad, per se, it’s just not executed well at all. The “revelation” comes way, way, way too late (at the tail-end of the second-to-last dungeon) which leaves no room at all for the new plot to develop. A pity, because the true plot had a large amount of potential that just wasn’t developed well at all. It would have been far more interesting than the “omg war iz bad n t3h 3mpire iz ebil u guyz” plotline that you were forced to wade through for the first 95% of the game. You can definitely tell that the developers ran out of time or there was a change in management, because the schism is just too gapingly noticeable.

The mix between sci-fi and fantasy was also just too ridiculous. You have bloody airships that fire energy weapons, yet your ground troops are outfitted with archaic metal armor and use swords? Give me a fucking break. Some plot elements also borrowed way too heavily from Star Wars KotoR for my taste.

Overall, the game is probably a 3 or 4 out of 10. It’s just so incredibly boring. The plot isn’t good enough to warrant the long stretches through the pass-through areas; hell, even the music and world design aren’t good enough to keep you entertained while mindlessly slaughtering poor wolves.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 11:52:20 AM by InfinityDragon »

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 13, 2008, 01:39:47 PM »
The worst problem with the game is the horribly designed, pile of shit, tedious, retarded, aborted fetus of a treasure chest system. Words cannot describe just how horrible this system is. Before you even get a chance to open a chest, the chest must actually spawn first. This usually ranges from 25-100%, and most chests spawn around 70% of the time. When you open a chest, you have usually a 50% chance to receive a crappy amount of Gil or an item. If you get an item, you usually have a 50% chance of receiving worthless crap or a decent item. Thus, only ~15% of the time will you ever receive anything that isn't shit from a chest, and many times, even the "good" item is some piece of equipment you could buy in a store anyways. The most aggravating example of this horrible system is getting the Demonsbane, the "reward" for defeating an optional boss. If you beat the boss, you get to run through an enemy infested area for a 70% chance of finding a chest that has a 22.5% chance of actually giving you the Demonsbane (as opposed to Gil or a worthless Holy Mote). Some fucking "reward."

Of all of FF12's problems to call the worst... this? 15% chance to get something that doesn't suck from a chest still kicks the hell out of most RPGs. It's a flawed system, but I'd call it better than the archaic one you usually see. It's a step in the right direction, but too small of one.

Agreed with the rest of the complaints, and throwing in the theory that the game still could have been saved by making the enemies and/or the licenses more interesting. The battle system and the license board are both quite interesting, but didn't get a chance to shine because the abilities were boring and the enemies were the same old shit repeated over 50 hours. 3/10 sounds right.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 13, 2008, 02:13:14 PM »
I would chalk up the MMO style of the shittiness of the combat system and how retardedly slowit is as holding back the battle system more than the interest it generates.

Edit - Not to mention this step in the right direction or whatever with regards to the chests is quite frankly horribly abusable to boot.  Wooo I found out where a decent item for the area spawns in a repeatable chest!  Save, load/ run 2 screens away repeat or whatever constantly goooooooooooo!

Giving the player 1 item ahead of the equipment curve for going out of their way is something you can balance for, giving them unlimited numbers of the items, not so much.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 02:15:17 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 13, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »
Battles are retardedly slow because the enemies are so numerous and so tanky, not because of the actual system.

Saying it is MMOish only strengthens my stance. The problem with MMOs isn't the base systems. It's the actual content and the scarcity of it which breeds way too much tedium.

(Yeah, yeah, the shittier MMOs might have bad systems, but the shittier games of any genre have bad systems, with the notable exceptions of FF12 and Bioshock, shut up)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:13:43 PM by Monkeyfinger »

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 13, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »
Of all of FF12's problems to call the worst... this? 15% chance to get something that doesn't suck from a chest still kicks the hell out of most RPGs. It's a flawed system, but I'd call it better than the archaic one you usually see. It's a step in the right direction, but too small of one.

Treasure chest systems in general are retarded; I much prefer (sane) item drops/steals from enemies. The point I'm making with the 15% Demonsbane is that zoning/reloading for 10 minutes is your reward for defeating an entirely optional boss. Why make the reward a pain in the ass chest instead of a good old-fashioned 100% chest if you're trying to reward a player for beating an optional boss? This also applies to many of the chests at the tail-end of the hard, enemy infested optional dungeons (for instance, the Dragon Mail chest in Barheim passage).

Would you prefer I used the example of the Zodiac Spear instead? 10% chance for a chest to appear with a 10% chance of carrying at item with a 10% chance of that item being the Spear is just ludicrous. The requirements for the "100% chance" Spear are just as bad without a guide (don't open that chest sitting right in front of you as you pass by Dalan's house multiple times!), but if you don't play FF12 without a guide, I pity you. Since the game is modeled after an MMORPG, a guide is almost a necessity. There are also the numerous chests that *don't* respawn, so if you get stuck with a pathetic Knot of Rust, you're SOL.

Giving the player 1 item ahead of the equipment curve for going out of their way is something you can balance for, giving them unlimited numbers of the items, not so much.

Sort of true. Given how easy it already is to power-level, getting 3 sets of Dragon Mail when the best stuff you can buy has a whopping 20 DEF isn't that huge. It actually just fits FF12's scheme of rewarding the patience of players rather than any actual skill.

Battles are retardedly slow because the enemies are so numerous and so tanky, not because of the actual system.

This isn't much of a valid complaint if you play by FF12's rules of rewarding tedium and patience and just get mid-game levels and mid-high end gear within the first 2 hours, since you'll tear through enemies quickly. This is why I hate the chest system most: the other problems of the game can be solved by investing 2-3 hours of time into power-leveling and godly gear farming. Nothing you can do can mitigate the fact that chest drop rates for good items is atrocious.

Pretty much true outside the above, though. I actually enjoyed the combat system in the small areas it was balanced, which was pretty much when I was power-leveled way beyond the appropriate story-area, but was an even match for high-powered enemies in the optional areas. The problem is that if you don't do any power-leveling, you're going to be walled by generic spawns, but if you do too much powering you just mow through enemies so quickly that it gets boring watching everything explode.

Techniques that weren't ass would have been nice, since physical attacks just get ridiculously boring. Since physical attacks reign supreme in that game, though, you're stuck with them if you want to move through the plethora of pass-through areas quickly.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 13, 2008, 06:32:34 PM »
Soul Nomad: Finished Good Path playthrough 2, this time with a Gig ending.  Funny stuff.

Now I went and started the Evil path and completely screwed my sleeping schedule because of how addicting it was.  Watching everyone's descent into madness is hilarious.  And both endings went along nicely enough.  I went in wit High Hopes for this and damned if they weren't exceeded.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 13, 2008, 07:00:31 PM »

This isn't much of a valid complaint if you play by FF12's rules of rewarding tedium and patience and just get mid-game levels and mid-high end gear within the first 2 hours, since you'll tear through enemies quickly.

lol, itz k if u powerlevl erly

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 13, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »
lol, itz k if u powerlevl erly

lol, u liek spnding hourz killing creeps, yay ur nub

Seriously, the game makes it obvious early on that it rewards power-leveling and item farming. Why try to fight that system by trying to play the game "normally," unless you want a challenge...but then why the hell would you be playing an FF game if you want challenge?