Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 5  (Read 4360 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 5
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:54:19 AM »
Here we are again!  2 pools down, many more to go, the Music Tournament of Doom rolls on towards the eventual showing of 256 competitiors!  The rules are still simple.
1. Vote for the one you like best.
2. Have heard both songs!
That's right, you don't need to have played the game involved!  Listen and vote!

Thanks to the most esteemed Tonfa, Vice President of these great United States, we now how handy dandy Putfile links for every song here in the first post!  All love and sex and cookies are due to him!

Closes one week hence, happy hunting.

Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 07:32:50 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 5
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:38:04 AM »

Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades- They're pretty close, but Schroedinger's got the better nostalgia factor.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills- Beating Crossing Those Hills is not hard~
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars- Of... available Tenpei Sato masterworks, this sneaks in?  Man.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme- I'll take it!
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere- Elvis is definitely my least favorite of the five big bosses for music, Aria de Mezzo Carattere was the best part of FFVI~
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion- Compulsion is my least favorite DDS track, I'm pretty sure.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:54:37 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades: Stupid Hatbot.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars: What a totally random Disgaea track. This isn't a hard choice.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone: You're Not Alone is pretty good for FFIX, actually.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock: Brutal slaughter.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere: Elvis's battle theme is like the one boss track in the game I don't dig.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion: Quite possibly my least favorite DDS fight theme.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars- Of...

Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:16:35 AM by dude789 »

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades: Good match, winner is relatively easy for me to call though.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills: FALCOM PUNCH!
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars: Easy call.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone: Good one, but I don't hold YNA! in such high regard anymore. Machine Gun still keeps rockin'

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme: Power Hungry Fool starts to grate after a bit.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock: Etna Rock can be extremely grating in too high doses, but works well enough outside that. The opposing track barely exists.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere: The original 16-bit version of Aria doesn't do much for me. Now if this was an orchestral or Black Mages version of the opera...
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion: Fate Breaker sounds like a random mixture of WA tracks. DDS battle tracks are pretty much all on the pretty good level.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades - I don't care all that much for Family, but Comrades sounds like a backing track with no fronting.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills - I like Crossing and all, but this is no freaking contest.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars - Cid's Theme isn't bad, but upbeatness carries the day once again.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone - I don't care much for Machine Gun, yet I find myself giving it a win over the utterly unimpressive Not Alone. What is this world coming to.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme - I don't even remember Power Hungry and I'm already sick of it. Estrogares isn't anything special but beats that at least. [EDIT] I think the actual tune is a tad worse than what was up before? Still beats PHF anyway.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Neither of these are especially inspiring. Going with the vocalised one.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere - Both good. But Aria is better.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - Defaulting to the most upbeat again.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:39:56 PM by Twilkitri »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 03:06:23 PM »
Can't listen to stuff now, so I'm going to go by what I remember and kneejerks.  These might change after I listen to stuff again.

Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades - Tough break.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills - Leaning Crossing Those Hills right now, but really need to relisten to Genesis.  EDIT: Yeah, JDK has this thing where they own.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars - Leaning Under the Stars, but unsure right now.  EDIT: Yeah.  Cid's theme isn't even good FF7 music, let alone good music.  Under the Stars isn't much either but it still wins.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone - Close one.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme - Really need to relisten to these.  Actually, not sure I've heard the GE version of Estrogares.  EDIT: Match of whatever.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Don't recall Title Theme at all.  EDIT: More whatever.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere - Kneejerk.  Aria de Mezzo Carattere is good stuff.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - Another kneejerk.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:05:54 AM by Talaysen »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 04:27:14 PM »
Wrong track, Cmdr. That's the Esgares battle theme, not the map theme.

http://streifer.free.fr/hosted/09-Estregales-Organise.mp3 This is the theme you're looking for.

EDIT: Votes.

Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades- WA3 music isn't especially memorable or good for me. Comrades is a great track on a standout OST.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills- The only decent FF9 track loses. Damn.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars- Cid's theme is argubly the coolest thing about Cid. It's up against a decent but not great track. Splat.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- I take that back,you're not alone is okay. Still completely outclassed.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme- I actually like power hungry fool, but it can't compare with one of my favorite mood pieces in a video game.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock-Etna Rock is on the Gale tier of fail. GS's theme is super generic but it crushes Etna Rock.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere- I think. Elvis sounds a bit better but I'm more attached to Aira de Mezzo.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion- Oooh, compulsion just owns.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:30:32 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 05:46:34 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades: Oh my god you are fucking kidding me. Two of my top... ten? Something like that. Can't vote against the track that leads my playlist for times played (because the list got nuked after the Lord Blazer/LoM phase, but still!)
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills: Took two seconds of listening to the former to decide my vote. Kept listening, it got better! Yay.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars: UtS is above average for Disgaea, Cid is well above average for FF7.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone: Damn. Tossup, really. This used to be non-close, but Machine Gun is my favourite FF8 track these days. Don't... think that's enough, though.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition - Estrogares Empire map theme: Ooh, close. Esgares seems like it has trouble deciding what it's trying to do, and doesn't really benefit from the mood shift the way some tracks can. Despite this it's still... good! But PHF knows exactly what it's trying to do and I approve. Could switch this, though.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock: True story: I started playing Title theme, went to read votes in this topic, and forgot the track was even playing. That's pretty bad. Though it fits Golden Sun.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere: Try again when you're Celes Theme, Aria. Better instruments + lack of tinny SNES voices could have won this. As is, the zany Elvis music wins easily.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion: Grah. Fate Breaker's good, but Compulsion is as awesome as Comrades.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 05:55:57 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades - Comrades is just awesome.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills - This didn't even try to be close, did it...~?
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars - Always really liked this track.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone - Actually builds to something~

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme - Shiny~
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Hehe~
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere - Not a fan of Aria~
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - Hm, Fate Breaker is good. Close one~
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 06:34:12 PM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 06:07:39 PM »
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 12:35:25 AM »

Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills - Day-um.  Is all of Ys' music this good?  I may have to download the soundtrack soon. 

Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - Yikes.  Tough decision.  This is probably the closest match of the pool for me.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:33 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades - Comrades is the only decent DDS1 battle theme.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills - Somewhat boring, laid back music done well beats the piss out of a shitty failed attempt at rock.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars - Apathy ahoy!
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone - You're Not Alone isn't bad...but it goes nowhere and just repeats itself. Man with the Machine Gun actually changes things up a bit and has a catchier melody to boot.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme - There's a reason why the best Baroque harpsichord pieces have a litany of backup strings: the instrument alone is hollow and fails at harmony. Estrogares may be all over the place, but at least the sound doesn't get grating or boring.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Not a fan of Etna Rock....but it beats Generic Sakuraba.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere - Good fucking god, what a horrible fail-off. Zany crap beats out shitty, uninspired, boring SNES voice synthing.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - Not close. Compulsion's intro is too long and too bad to save the mediocrity of the rest of the song. Fate Breaker is above average to excellent the entire way through.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 01:33:24 AM »
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone - Good grief, either of these songs would utterly rape pretty much any of the other pools so far, and they get matched up against each other?  *bludgeons Hatbot*  That said, while there's some awesome remixes of MwtMG out there, the original isn't quite good enough to win this for me.

Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - I didn't think anything would lose to Golden Sun music... until I clicked that link.  Way to fail, Etna Rock.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere - Too bad the SNES "voices" suck so bad, but I still really like this song for some reason.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breakerv Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 03:43:18 AM »
Have to say, nothing terribly strong to this track.  Just makes something really solid as background music.  As for the schrodingers, their strength lies in their wit and not their song.

I don't have anything against Crossing Those Hills.  I mean, it's definatly a serviceable piece of music.  But it's also one of the weakest Overworld themes in its series, let alone in general.  On the other hand, Genesis there was addictive, and may just need to find its way onto my playlist.

I don't recall anything that good being in Disgaia...  But, it's still Cid's Theme, which gives it an easy win, regardless.

This one took a bit of thinking about, since they're both pretty good, and regulars on my playlist.  But, there's just something about You're Not Alone that appeals to me more, so it takes the win.

Only for the most beautiful man, surrounded by such beautiful things, could such an anthem of beauty be created.  Let all such vulgar, lesser, pieces be discarded by the wayside as we celebrate the beauty that transcends life itself.

This one is a bit of a dialemma.  I mean, Golden Sun is appealing, but bland.  The Etna Rock, the music is beautifully jazzy, and by itself would be a clear winner.  But...  the vocals detract from it.  A lot.  Yeah...  Golden Sun can take this one.

This song was the reason I first found the RPG community on the internet.  Dunno if I wouldn't have found my way here eventually if I hadn't have liked this song so much that I wanted a copy, but this was the spark that started me on this path.  As such, it's going to take a lot more than some generic boss music to even begin to compete.

On the first listen I couldn't really pick a winner here.  But on the second go, I found Compulsion to be somewhat less compelling, while Fate Breaker managed consistancy.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 06:42:02 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades - Not actually a huge fan of Schroedinger; it's okay I guess.  But definitely not a fan of most DDS music I've heard.  (The DDS2 battle theme...  Battle for Survival, I think?...  that one's pretty good, but none of the others.)
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills - A fan.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars - Both decent.  Under the Stars is very, very Tenpei Sato, and pretty decent for Disgaea, but eh, Uematsu's a tough draw.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone - They're both awesome.  Man with the Machine Gun was used better in-game, so tiebreaking that way (Zidane is randomly angsting WTF?).

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme - I liked the music posted before even better, but this is still good.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Can they both lose?  Golden Sun's battle theme was actually kinda catchy, but not the Title theme.  Etna Rock is a bit weird, I guess.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere - HORRIFIC SLAUGHTER.  Seriously, aside from Persephone and Faireidone, I wasn't overly impressed with WA5's boss music.  Maybe they're better in context.  But even the good WA5 music would lose here.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - HORRIFIC SLAUGHTER part II.  WA3's soundtrack had two really awesome pieces: Fate Breaker and that piece that plays towards the beginning...  let me check the name...  Flying in the Midst of the Storm, 1-20.  Meanwhile the DDS piece sucks.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 11:47:29 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades - Goddammit Hatbot.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills - SPLAT
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars - Eh, not over impressed by Cid's theme. Stars is enough to beat that.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone - ...GODDAMMIT HATBOT. ;_;

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme - Match full of meh.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Ugh. Title Theme is meh, but I really don't like that voice in Etna Rock.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere - Nostalgia vote.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - Pretty easy.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 02:27:12 AM »

"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 02:50:57 AM »
Damn, Schroedinger vs. Hunting ~ Comrades is unfair!  It's like... like Celtics vs. Lakers in round 1 or something.  And, like that particular matchup, I'm voting based on pure personal bias, not which I think is better (since they're more or less a draw): Schroedinger.

Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills - impressive. I like the FF9 world map music, but this is good.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars - in a laugher.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone - Machine Gun hype confuses me.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme fun. reminds me of something. like Actraiser, maybe.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock GS title is nice. very DQ in a good way. still not close.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere yeah, no contest
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion close. I like both, but the DDS one has an edge the WA3 one doesn't.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:10:23 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 01:20:32 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades - Wow, very good here.  I...hell, I'll go with the one I preferred in-game...blah.  That doesn't work ;_;.  Ok, coin of justice, do mine bidding!
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills - Go Ys!  Ys: The Ark of Naphistm has great music too.  Should have nommed that.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars - Not a major fan of either, but...
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone - One of the best songs in the game.  MwtMG I never got behind the hype for.  Good, but...eh...nah.  Didn't feel good enough.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme - Eh...another one where I don't like either a huge amount.  I prefer Esgares as a stand-alone, though...
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - ENGRISH FOR GODLIKE.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere - Battle with Elvis Prestly!
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - ...wow.  Both good songs.  Going with DDS again.  No coin flip this time - for all that it could use one, this I feel surer about than the last.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 03:31:06 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades: To be honest, was never a MAJOR fan of the former, but its still decent.  Flipside, I really don't see the hype in DDS music for the most part, Comrades I remember being a song I distinctly DIDN'T like.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills: I like the latter, but the former is just better overall, and more in an upbeat mood at the moment.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars: Disgaea music generally translates to bland to me in most circumstances, Cid's theme...while I haven't listened to it in god knows how long, I still like it!
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone: Both are decent, but I definitely prefer the latter.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme: The Esgares theme feels like it goes nowhere, and feels completely wasted out of context.  Power Hungry Fool, meanwhile, gets points for the Oliver factor and how damn well it fits.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock: Don't care for either song, going with the one I actually heard as a tiebreaker.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere: Aria de Mezzo Carettere is one of the more overrated pieces in FF6, as far as I'm concerned.  As Elfboy once noted in the past, there's a far superior version of this melody in Celes' Theme, which probably would have won.  Granted, Elvis' theme isn't one of the better battle themes in WA5, but dear god is it fitting for him.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion: Fate Breaker is one of my favorite Dungeon themes ever.  The latter is DDS music which I noted before really does nothing for me on average, especially the battle themes.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 07:24:29 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades- Ouch.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills- This is one of the worst songs I've ever heard.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars- Both are eh.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone- NOT CLOSE. YNL is beautiful, MMG reminds me of... something bad.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme- Too epic.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock- Both suck.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere- Neat.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion- BACKGROUND WHISTLING FOR THE LOSE
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 08:55:13 AM »
here's Only One Family Named Schroedinger
GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING- JDK overkill
Under the Stars
You’re Not Alone

Estrogares Empire map theme
Etna Rock- Etna Rocks SLAUGHTERS just y th elyrics alone.
Aria de Mezzo Carattere
Hunting ~ Compulsion- Fate Breaker actually breaks my ear drum.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 09:56:04 AM »

Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Comrades  -  Yeah, Schroedinger just grabs me easily, while...  Comrades is kind of out there.  Don't get me wrong, they're both good songs.
Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING v Final Fantasy IX - Crossing Those Hills  -  This...  Isn't fair.  It's not even close.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Disgaea - Under the Stars  -  Yeah, just not feeling it from Cid.
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun v Final Fantasy IX- You’re Not Alone  -  It's a bad sign when you have to go back to listen to something you listened to three minutes ago because you forgot how it sounded.  However, it's a great sign when you go back to it and say it's fantastic.  The problem?  I did this with both of them.  Coin flip to Machine Gun.

Fire Emblem 9 - Power Hungry Fool v Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme  -  OK, this one...  I don't like voting on.  Still, Estrogares stopped making sense early on in itself.
Golden Sun - Title Theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock  -  Song that really stands out and grabs vs. some song I swear I heard played somewhere in various SNES era games.  Point to originality.
Wild ARMs 5 - Elvis PALB 3106 (battle) v Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere  -  Easier on the ears in this contest.
Wild ARMs 3 - Fate Breaker v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion  -  OK, uh...  Wow.  A pair of really good songs.  I dunno, they're both...  Quite awesome.  Compulsion reminds me a bit of GUilty Gear (which is a good thing), while Fate Breaker has that "We can do this!" quality to it.  Really good match-up, but...  Point to Compulsion.  It JUST edges out, I think.

...Will vote on the others later.  Probably.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 12:27:52 AM »