Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 7  (Read 3717 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 7
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:01:13 AM »
Here we are again!  2 pools down, many more to go, the Music Tournament of Doom rolls on towards the eventual showing of 256 competitiors!  The rules are still simple.
1. Vote for the one you like best.
2. Have heard both songs!
That's right, you don't need to have played the game involved!  Listen and vote!

Thanks to the most esteemed Tonfa, Vice President of these great United States, we now how handy dandy Putfile links for every song here in the first post!  All love and sex and cookies are due to him!

Closes one week hence, happy hunting.

Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend -

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 7
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:41:02 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme- The universe hates Ciato.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B.- Slaughter.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle- I actually liked Advanced Wind a fair deal (I always forget that version) but the RS:MS song is.. not as impressive as I thought on first listen. Damn. Still good, this could flip.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend -An OB theme I don't care for versus a song vs meh. Pass.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction- AUGH. Both are perfect mood pieces and great tunes in their own right. Pass for now, death to the Bot.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.- Do not like the BoF4 track.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3- I love overworld and the connection it has to the the DQ8 world map and the wonderful feeling of exploring the game and setting. I hate FFMQ. Battle 3 is.. just catchier to me, it's one of the few things about the game I remember.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-- Easy.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:54:22 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme: Slaughter. Not a chiptune fan but the former is decent.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B.: MASSIVE SLAUGHTER.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle: The power of Engrish does not compel me.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend -: Spin~ doesn't really do anything a whole lot of other Tohou tracks don't do better. Chaotic Island's good enough to take this.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction: Could go either way depending on mood. Both are pretty good.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.: Sphilia is wonderful and addictive.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3: Pleasant. Very good.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-: This pool is quality. KH's main theme isn't that hot in any form though.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:39:00 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - Hmm. I like Wily 1&2, but Crash Man's is the one I found myself tapping my foot to.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Easy.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle - Close one here.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - - More easy.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction - Tragic Price was alright. City is just better.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - This...was tough. I like both, but Sphillia is just that bit better.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - Yay Battle 3~
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - More easy.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - SLAUGHTER
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B. - ...wow.  Ok, neither of these do I like a huge amount.  UB is too damn boring and doesn't go anywhere, and I don't like the voices in the Ar Tonelico song.  Bleh.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle - RS has badass music.  Advanced Wind is...average to below, for a vocal?  To be fair, I do like vocals, but AW doesn't do much for me.  Mostly because I imagine Virginia singing it, and that makes me want to stab my eyes out.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Touhou music kicks ass.  I don't know where people are getting the idea OB has music, though >_>

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction - Not a fan of the LoM song in-game, for all that it's pretty good overall as a piano piece.  It's still generally not awe-inspiring, though.  Tragic Prince is happy and invigorating.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - The only battle music from BoF4 I liked was in the last round.  AT2's vocals are better than AT1's.  And I do like my vocals. 
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - It's actually a really good MQ track.  Final battle and such - MQ had good music.  Still, I love the DQ8 Overworld (especially the kitty kat version), so...
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version - Shevat wishes it were Solaris >_>
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - Well this is a terrific start to the round.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Overly long but servicable versus noise.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle - Not feeling Advanced Wind. Challenge doesn't seem as nice as the version I'm used to but is fine.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Chaotic is too classical for my current mood, whereas Friend is nice and hoppy.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction - Neither of these are especially alluring.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Less tribal.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - Everyone loves Battle 3.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - More varied.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme- Unfair.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B.- ... CRITICAL FAIL, PE
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle- *blink* Neat.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend -  Kappa has an alright melody, but the instruments are harsh.  Ciato is awesome meanwhile.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction- LoM track is just... too slow.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3- I guess.  Why OK picked this and not Memory of an Ancient Ocean or Heavenly Flight, though...
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-- Bot is bloody mocking me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:03:55 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme: Crash Man's music was always my least favorite, so this isn't hard. Have to laugh at Hatbot arranging this match, also.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B.: I'm sure U.B. is going to wind up losing on account of people not listening to the whole track. >.< Anyway, wonderfuly atmospheric final battle medley easily beats out one of my less favorite AT songs.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle: Stupid bot.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend -

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-

Edits will happen when I get home.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 03:37:05 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - MEGA MAN...music? Sure~
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Both take a while to get going. When they do, UB is cooler~
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle - VIP Mario 4 hype~
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Average vs. beyond godlike. Kappa music is happiness and fun~

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction - Simple~
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - So it seems AT2 learned how to be less boring~
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - Battle 3 is cool~
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version - I can't deny energy even if it is CK hype~
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:19:24 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 12:13:54 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - Can't argue with a classic
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend

Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/ - Okay, yeah, this one was really tough. Even now, I'm kinda tempted to change my vote. They're both so good.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - I love DQ8's world map theme for the sole reason that it never once gets annoying or old, even though you spend half the frickin' game listening to it.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 12:34:40 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - Wily Stage has awesome remix, but the original is less than awesome.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B. - U.B. isn't bad and fits the battle well, but it's freaking Phantasmagoria.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle - ...the putfile link isn't the US version.  Fail.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Meh.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction - Fucking Castlevania hype.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Not one of my favorite AT2 songs, but Raging Emperor's Banquet sucks.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - Overworld wishes it was Heavenly Flight.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - Owns you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 06:35:35 PM by Talaysen »

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 01:04:59 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - Both are pretty bad without any remixing; Wily Stage 1/2 has the better standalone melody.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Seconding El Cid here; the latter half of the song is very good. Chorus + Organ + Good use of Bass/Drums beat out Vocals.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle - Kenji Ito composition combined with actual good production value beats out an okay melody hurt by uninspired vocals.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Both suck. Kappa at least isn't a boring attempt at copying generic classical music.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction - Not a fan of the SotN "rock" pieces.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Just better.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - Doesn't go all over the place.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 01:44:04 AM »
http://media.putfile.com/Advanced-Wind-English

Less Engrishy version, on request. Be more specific when nomming these songs, damn it. >_>
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 02:36:32 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme- Aw, lame.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B.- UB is baaad.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle- hahaha vocals
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Bland by Touhou standards vs. godly.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction- very pretty.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.- That other song is kinda bad.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle - Both are neat, but I am a sucker for violins.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-- Unfairish. KH song is just... livelier.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 06:18:47 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - Yeah.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Both good, but both feel like they're missing something. (Edit: I still have some complaints with UB, but Phantasmagoria held up even worse on a repeat listen, so changing my vote.)
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle - Horrific Engrish.  The actual English has dippy lyrics, and the singer misses some notes - the "somehoooooow" at 1:24 is particularly bad, and there's some trouble around 0:57 too.  I like the tune, but man, the vocals.  Challenge is good, even though it sounds weirdly flamenco towards the last half.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Where's Line of Defense, or whatever the Slums of Zenobia battle theme was?  I don't remember this OB theme much at all.  The somewhat generic but peppy and upbeat music takes it.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction - Tragic Prince is godlike.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. ...wow.  Sphilia is fantastic and about a mile above the other Ar tonelico music so far.  And Banquet is bad.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - I like the majestic Overworld.  And not having it start from the beginning every time after a battle was definitely a wise choice.  MQ's final battle is very good, but I think I actually prefer FFMQ's normal boss battle to it.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- I suppose.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:17:11 PM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 06:38:59 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme: What is up with Hatbot? Anyway... I do like Crash, but Wily is, like, the best piece of NES music ever.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B.: What is with people nomming crappy vocals? UB gets neat around halfway through. Way too boring before then, but the competition here is not stiff.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle: Hey, Advanced Wind is better than a lot of crappy vocals. But Four Kings is well-paced and varied action, and that is how I likes me music.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend: I... hmm. Well, Chaotic Island is infinitely better than all previous OB music I've heard! And Kappa is unimpressive Touhou. ... still awwwfully close.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction: Very pretty. Tragic Prince is vaguely there.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.: I am apparently not seeing the appeal of the latter at all. I'll readilly admit the former is an acquired taste, granted, but I do like it.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3: I'll admit, the EDIT: Preludio version probably pushes this one over the top for me.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-: Ooh, this is pretty. Shimomura owns other composers at slow game tracks near as I can tell. Also,
Quote from: OK
Shevat wishes it were Solaris >_>

Decent pool overall.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:20:12 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 08:37:34 AM »
Wily Stage 1 and 2
EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/.- Only if U.B. can be without its early parts.
 Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle- Why, one of my favorite Itoken melody.
Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend -

The Tragic Prince- City of flickering destruction isn't as powerful as it could be when stand alone.
EXEC_SPHILIA/.- This is my favorite of all the Hymnos so far.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3
Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 06:39:21 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme: What is possibly the best NES music ever...against a song from the same game? Um, yeah, not close, tough break Crash Man.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B.: This match fails.  UB fails for half the song, then gets alright midway through...then goes back to fail.  See, that's the difference between it and, say, Necron; Necron loops its good part and the fail part is merely an intro; UB clearly goes back to the fail part, so I can't just say "different songs" there.
...but the AT song is about as utterly generic a vocal as you can get, and pretty sleep inducing at that.  So in the end, HATBOT TO THE RESCUE!
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle: Good match, but Advanced Wind is one of my favorites, so...
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend: The MoF song isn't really that special, but Chaotic Island is just so bland.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction: Not even close.  The SotN song isn't really all that special, where as the latter is Legend of Mana.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.: AT Music all sounds the same, frankly, which so far has been boring vocals.  Emperor's Banquet is just stylish, meanwhile.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3: the DQ8 song is nice and all, but Battle 3 is an old favorite, so nostalgia tiebreaks or something.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version: Two songs from OSTs that are overrated...and they're both songs that I actually LIKE! Weird match, and a close one to, went with Hatbot for the win.
Also, after Hatbot did that, I further said "and Kingdom Hearts is a better game than Xenogears, so I could have used that excuse for a tiebreak!" but whatever.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Yeah, the song gets better if you listen to the whole thing.  No, horrible intro and mediocre at best rest of the song does not make it good.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - - There's better Touhou music out there by far, but it doesn't take much to beat Chaotic Island to me. >_>

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction - Man, this is close.  Going with the Castlevania piece just because I liked how it fit in-game.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Stupid name, but I guess that doesn't mean much in this competition. <_<

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 07:15:01 PM »

"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »

Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - Never liked Crash Mans song all that much.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Legend of Mana- City of flickering destruction - I like Tragic Prince, but the Legend of Mana song was really nice.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - Even though I like the normal boss song better, this is still a good one.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 04:17:42 AM »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 06:20:03 AM »

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
I'll grant Crashman this, if his theme were in Pool 6, he'd have gone far.  But Wily is like the bastard offspring of Albert Einstein and God, and therefore takes this in a walk.

No real love for Phantasmagoria here, but all UB is is the same bit being done over and over again.  Likely a great piece when you're hearing it in the background while doing something epic, but fails when standing alone.

Challenge to God turned out better than I had expected, but Wild ARMs openings are strong.  And the fact that 3 is the weakest of the good openings says a great deal about that strength.

How odd, I like them both.  That said, I think I like the Kappa tune a bit more.  Can't really say why, I just do.

Took me a while to come to any conclusion on this one.  But, the Tragic Prince tends to fade over time, while repeated listenings only made me appreciate the subtlety of City of Flickering Destruction more.

I suspect this one will be less annoying ten listens from now.

I may not be fond of the games, but Dragon Quests always have great music.

One wants to be the background music for Zeal, the other is a surprisingly strong piece that was enjoyable to listen to.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 12:49:04 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Megaman 2- Crash Man’s Theme - Hatbot has a funny sense of humor, it seems.
Ar Tonelico - EXEC_PHANTASMAGORIA/. v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Pleasant but pedestrian ending credits-ish tune vs. something much more.  No contest.
Wild Arms 3: Advanced Wind (English) v Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle - Never liked the Guardian fight music that much.  Too much powerleveling vs. Pyrix, I suppose.
Ogre Battle – Chaotic Island v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Chaotic Island isn't the best OB has to offer.  It doesn't match up against a tune with an awesome modulation.

Breath of Fire 4 - A Raging Emperor's Banquet v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. not a fan of the singing, frankly.  that eastern European (?) style never did much for me.  Open fifths? yuck.  On the other hand, it's very well set.  Never got the Raging Emperor's Banquet hype, anyway.
Dragon Quest 8 - Overworld v Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 - fascinating matchup.  Going with Battle 3 because Overworld's intro has always been kinda annoying to me, despite being otherwise very nice.  Just hangs on the wrong notes in the beginning.  rather jarring.
Xenogears – “Shevat – The Wind is Calling” v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - Shevat is one of the most atmospheric and encompassing themes for a town ever set.  It does a great deal to emotionally flesh out the place it describes.  All that and a reworking of the main theme, too!  Even so, this is a very difficult choice.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!