Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 9  (Read 4507 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 9
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:21:55 PM »
Welcome once again folks to the Music Tournament of Doom!  The first half of round one is winding down, but that still means we have 128 songs to see!  Here are just a few more!  As always, the rules are as follows:
1. Vote for the one you like
2. Have heard both songs!
And thanks to Tonfa, that second part is all too easy!  Just click and load!

Closes one week hence, and don't forget to check the tourney board to make sure you've voted in all the available pools!

Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke”
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 9
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:47:17 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting: Shame, as this is one of FFVII's better tracks. Persephone crushes all opposition, though.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke”: Betrayal is pretty awesome. Reworks a theme from the first game (I love it when people do this) and has a great groove. BK track is good, but sounds likes The Divine Spirit of Language knocked down one level of coolness.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen: As usual, RSMS boss themes slaughter puny mortals. Not one of my favorite SN songs, either.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time: This reminds me that I need to finish my G2 replay. Anyway, does "Excellent by Iwadare standards" beat out a generally great mood piece? Hmm. I'm saying it does, today.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-: AI3 track starts okay, but something about the sound quality of the synth taking the melody bugs me. The RSMS track, meanwhile, is godlike.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle: Whoa, surprisingly good arrangement on the ShF2 track. Someone definitely made the most of the Genesis's limited audio capabilities. I feel like someone needs to give this credit, though its opponent is also good.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods: Now, if it was Confidence in the Domination, this would probably swing the other way. Track's still good for random encounter music I don't get tired of, just loses here.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle: Leaves more of an impression, really.

Pretty good pool, here.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:58:28 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting- Not at all a fan of still more fighting. Persephone's theme is great.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke”- The BK theme is decent but.. it's Hunting, yet another great DDS battle track.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen- Pass for now.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time- Fight 4 is good, I'm still a Melody of Time fanboy. It's a great mood piece, what can I say?

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- I think.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle- *Listens to about half the track.. mmm, SMT battle is no go... what the fuck?!* Yeah, it picks up  midway.  The Shining Force track's okay but can't compete.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods- Scrub fight.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle- Epic Battle's not one of the DDS themes I'm hugely into.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:06:39 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - Way more energy.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - Better
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - Kenji Ito boss themes are almost untouchable...Speed Queen is pretty awesome though, but not awesome enough. Saruin's riffs kill Speed Queen dead.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time - Good match. While Fight v4 is definitely catchier, Melody of Time is better composed in every other regard.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- Kenji Ito is on a roll here. The RSMS song starts out a bit weak, but gets strong. The AI3 starts out okay and gets horrible.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - Slaughter. Normal Battle makes DDS songs break down and cry.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods - Also a slaughter. VP's battle themes are its strongest songs.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle - Somewhat close. Silence of Time does a much better job with harmony and bass work.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 10:14:42 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting- Mm.  I'd probably vote for some later incarnations of Still More Fighting, but the original falls just short.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke”- Same vibe really, BK track works just a touch better.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen- Speed Queen is unimpressive, Saruin's pretty awesome.  Works on two levels!
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time- No contest.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- Criss Cross reminds me of some Sonic music.  Schirach... I'm not sure if I like it or not.  Weird fight.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle- They're pretty equal... eh, ShF2 track is more my style I guess.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods- Yeah.  Fighting the Shadowy Gods is good as base battle themes go, but Ultema has a weird catchiness to it.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle- Meh, this is the more interesting of the two.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 11:53:06 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting: Still More Fighting is kickass but I still have to side with Perseph's godliness.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke”: Echoing super, yeah. The BK track is decent, but Hunting is just badass.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen: Soul Nomad continues to take its run at the best soundtrack I've not heard before this contest. Speed Queen's a bit of an oddball, but I fun. Saruin is badass, though, almost has a bit of NES Mega Man spliced in there with a PS2-era boss theme.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time: Best track in G2 by far. Melody of Time's not especially notable.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-: RS' string of asskickings continue. CC's decent but the poor synth on the main melody does hold it back and it wouldn't have had much of a chance anyway.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle: The comparison between Nocturne and DDS music is just dismal. That said uh this isn't even one of the better SF2 tracks, and not being one of the better SF2 tracks means...
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods: Nice Body's not bad, but I'm more a fan of VP's style than FFT's.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle: Unfair. Still, Silence of Time, while effective atmospherically, is far from LoM's best boss track (which is to say it's well above average). Flipside, Epic Battle is rockin' and my favourite overall track from DDS2 specifically, I believe.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:37:29 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:52:24 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting- Not as good as hyped, but still good enough to beat stock battle theme.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke”- A wonderful song vs. an okay song.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle- No fucking vote.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:38:58 AM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - ug. hm. FF7. both are at once kinda cool and catchy, and annoying.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - Helluva lot closer than I expected.  That BK track's got a lot going for it.  May have to revisit this later; DDS is great, but Hunting Betrayal could be better.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - *stomp*
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time - neither is fantastic, but Fight 4's easily got enough juice to outpace here.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- *STOMP* ok, this could be a textbook example of how to compose with energy as opposed to...not.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - SMT's not bad, but SF has great energy.  Seriously, this and Field Theme 1 both advance through different sections at a refreshing pace, not repeating just for the sake of slowing things down like many songs do.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods - ...yeah.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle - Silence of Time is damn good, but Epic Battle is one of my all-time faves.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 12:41:44 AM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - Oooooh...good match.  Very close.  I do loves me some Baten Kaitos music, though.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - Hot damn.  My toes were tapping the whole time.  Speed Queen is good, but it just gets mauled here.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time - Eh, I never was a big fan of Grandia 2 music.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - I frickin' love this tournament. It's introduced me to so much great music that I probably never would have known about otherwise. *goes off to download the RSMS soundtrack*
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - Unintelligible synthesized mumbling for the win?

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 02:15:39 AM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - Meh~
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - DDS is love, although neither are bad~
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - This is close, but this caught on to me slightly better or something~?
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time - Hey, this is cool~

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach - RS battle theme smite~
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - Shining Force has music? Whoa~! Nocturne wins easily anyway though~
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods - Smash~
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle - Smash~
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:52:24 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

James_xeno

• Dark Force
  • Denizen
  • And ye shall be as gods
    • View Profile
    • My 1up profile page
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 02:48:27 AM »

Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke”

When antelopes cross a river crocodiles will eat some of them, but the majority will still make it through.
Because there are 500 antelope and three crocodiles. Not because the crocodiles are enviornmentalists.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 03:30:22 AM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - I'm not a huge fan of Persephone, and I do love SMF...mmm...this is actually a really tough one.  Going for the underdog, which still is good enough to win this!
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - ...damn.  What is up with this pool?  Ok...again, both songs are good, but Betrayal I am less fond of.  Love the remix aspect, but, once more, going for the underdog.  After the last two pools, seeing such good songs here get mauled is sad, though.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - It's fucking Saruin.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time - Grandia 2's final fight is great (it's ver. 5 on my soundtrack still!  But still good!).  Melody of Time is a bit boring.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Criss Cross is excellent, even though it reminds me of a few SNES songs in terms of quality.  Granted, Schirach sounds a bit...harsh to me.  Not a great fan of it.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - Hah!  So this was the ShF song I thought it was (Path to Bedoe, or whatever).  Like SMTN Battle as well, but...nostalgia helps.  Still...Battle is good.  Pretty decent fight.  I'll go with ShF2 here.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods - Good song that never gets old vs. a game that I didn't realize had music.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle - Epic Battle kicks ass.  Don't like Silence of Time much.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:45:12 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:54:43 AM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - Not FF7 music.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - Why does the Baten Kaitos song sound like every other Sakuraba battle theme.  Oh wait I answered my own question.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - You know what I didn't mind about fighting Saruin a million times due to losing?  Listening to this.  Actually the fights were still fun, but that's not the point.  Speed Queen is good, but not winning out here.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time - Not SaGa Frontier music.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Fuck you, Hatbot.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - ...
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods - ...
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle - Oh, we're back to competence again.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 04:23:44 AM »
Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle)- Ouch, Perspehone crushes.
“Vitriolic A Stroke”- Anti vote against Hunting Betrayal
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- Where is Last Supper and December Street?
Melody of Time

Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- I don't think even Alchemic Blast or rain of Blossom can win this....
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” - The ambiance and the atmosphere simply slaughters.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 04:25:23 AM »

Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle Both are excellent

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 05:13:13 PM »
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal vBaten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke"

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - Ouch, tough draw for the FF7 track. Nice start to the pool though.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - Huh. This BK track is actually GOOD. Who'da thunk it?
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - Closish, but liking Speed Queen more today
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time - Yeah, I'm a big Melody of Time fan, and also don't really get what all the fuss about Fight v4 is about.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Eh, again closish. Seems that most RSMS themes are just...missing something, for me.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - Only scrub off of the pool
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods - Yay Shadowy Gods~
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle - Ugh. This one is tough. Feeling Epic Battle a bit more today. Damn, this one could have changed depending on my mood at any given moment, too.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting: SMF is an absolute classic, but I have to vote for the bizarre trance battle theme because hot damn, that violin~
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke”: Woah, -good- Sakuraba. Anyway, DDS track is just a touch better at this moment. But it's a fight.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen: Oh dear lord this is an unfair draw. Yeeeah, I have to vote against my nom. Love both anyway~. Can we just nuke one of the bad pairings from earlier pools completely? >_> Or pairing six here?
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time: Pool of rockin' battle themes here. MoT is a nice piece but not enough.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-: The big RSMS battle tracks are just frickin' Godlike. Not one of my favorite Gust battle themes either! EDIT: Actually, it might be on further reflection. Doesn't change the result here. EDIT2: Criss Cross is fiendishly good at growing on me. Vote get!
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle: Well, 5 battles with exceptional quality in a row is good enough I suppose. Scrub vs alright, here.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods: Good vs something I don't need to hear again.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle: DDS brings the quality again. Didn't really feel this LoM track.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 04:26:06 PM by Tonfa »
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 09:34:11 PM »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 10:25:09 AM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - Still More Fighting isn't really that great, plain ol' Fighting might've had a chance. But I doubt it.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - Both are pretty good really. Betrayal just has some vibe that Vitriolic doesn't.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - Saruin isn't that special, but Speed Queen is far too weird for my tastes.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time - Melody's a bit too dull.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Mm, Criss Cross really feels like it's missing at least one instrument.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - Starting up Field Theme I find that it's exactly the style of music that my mood was wanting to listen to. Unfortunately, it failed utterly at carrying it off. Battle is extremely up and down but probably outweighs Field here.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods - Well, this is simple enough.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle - Also simple.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 11:28:44 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - Great match, but...  I suppose I'll give the nod to Persephone's uniqueness, along with the nice intro music.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - The DDS track is okay, I suppose, but Vitriolic (and the BK soundtrack in general) is pretty neat.  Though I'll admit that Vitriolic does take some time to get going.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - Close match, I like both.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- The AI piece is nice, and this Saga music isn't as good as the previous ones.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - They both lose.  The SF music is generic, and Nocturne squanders a cool opening by going weird in a bad way afterward.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods - Close.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle - DDS music is erratic to me, but this piece is good.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 01:54:51 AM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - I find Persephone kinda mehish.  Maybe it's better in context?
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - I know this is better in context, but in this case I actually know the context. <_<

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 05:00:44 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting - Oh hey, another WA track I can get behind.  This is nice.  SMF has great remixes but we're not considering those here soooo.
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke” - Pretty similar, just better.
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen - ehhh.  These two sound almost like the same song.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time - ehhhhhhhh.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Man, I'm not liking much in this pool.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle - Interesting.  Don't see the Normal Battle hype, though.
Final Fantasy Tactics- Ultema: The Nice Body v Valkyrie Profile - Fighting the Shadowy Gods - Don't really like either.
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle - eh, 1:22 puts this over the top.

Man, nothing I liked in this pool except the very first song.  Ow.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 12:04:34 PM »
Persephone sounds nice, sure, but Still More Fighting is what a boss battle music should be; electric guitar fuelled raw adrenaline in aural form.

They're both kinda generically good, but the DDS track reminds me of SMF, which it is inferior to, and thusly loses in that comparison.

Just more to my tastes, nothing more to say.

Fight!!, much like its name, is generic and gets grating as time goes on, while the Melody of Time is a beautiful piece of music which sets the atmosphere wonderfully.

Both of these are excellent, but I think I need to go with the bouncy fun tune with the piano.

Shining Force isn't that strong on music, letting SMT take this in a walk.

So much good FFT music, and yet none of it nommed...  Wonder how that happened?  Anyways, the Perfect Body would have taken this, but the Nice Body is simply lacking.

Not a particularily inspiring battle, especially considering the brilliant match of Criss Cross v Schirach earlier.  But, Epic Battle ekes out a win nonetheless.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »

Wild Arms 5 - Persephone IPCC_3927 (: Battle) v Final Fantasy VII ~ Still More Fighting: New Awesome vs. old favorite...unfortunately, Still More Fighting lost a lot of its flair over time to me (though still decent), so...
Digital Devil Saga 2 -  Hunting - Betrayal v Baten Kaitos – “Vitriolic A Stroke”: One of the few DDS songs I actually liked, despite being a remix of the bland basic battle theme of DDS1...
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Soul Nomad: Speed Queen: Good fight, both decent songs, but going with the RS song.
Grandia II- Fight!! Ver 4 (Last Battle) v Saga Frontier- Melody of Time: Slaughter.  Melody of Time lacks any real worth out of in game, Fight! Ver 4 is pretty much a good example of how major/final boss themes should sound meanwhile.

Atelier Iris 3 - Criss Cross v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-: RS music has generally been impressing me! ...except this song sticks out as one that didn't.
Shining Force 2: Field Theme #2 v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Battle: Is this the supposed SMTN Random Battle theme of awesome? Cause its...umm...very much not that special.  Shining Force 2's song isn't much either, but I do actually remember it existing despite the OST being horribly forgettable so...uhh...tie breaker <_<?
Legend of Mana – “Silence of Time” v Digital Devil Saga 2 - Epic Battle: Another DDS theme I like! Silence of Time I don't find really all that special, despite being LoM.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A