Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 10  (Read 4510 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 10
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »
Welcome once again folks to the Music Tournament of Doom!  The first half of round one is winding down, but that still means we have 128 songs to see!  Here are just a few more!  As always, the rules are as follows:
1. Vote for the one you like
2. Have heard both songs!
And thanks to Tonfa, that second part is all too easy!  Just click and load!

Closes one week hence, and don't forget to check the tourney board to make sure you've voted in all the available pools!

Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 10
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero: This is pretty not close. The MMXCM track is a mess and reminds me of the more painful bits of XS2's soundtrack.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival: I-No uses Megalomania, world ends. Better than average AI1 track here, but this isn't remotely close for me.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park: Aoba Park is really pretty. And it's against Game Boy sound quality.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode: Ugh. Both are bad, but Ruins Mode has that "Hay look people, something wacky's happening!" feel that I just frickin' hate.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo: Eh. Takes a bit to get going, but it does work well in-game, and I've never been a big fan of Nightless City Guara Bobelo (while acknowledging that it fits its setting perfectly, even).
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA: At least kinda sounds like something I might want to listen to again. Dig that crazy bassline. Fatalize is just bland.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma: I always liked Awakening, actually, but Karma just works too damned well in context (I love TotA's opening video).
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight: Match of apathy. Song of Memory works okay as a nice lullaby kinda thing once the vocals show up, at least. Black Knight doesn't really go anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:38:23 AM by El Cideon »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:21:35 PM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero- This fight's about close as a S5/MMXCM plot comparsion.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival- AI's song is pleasant to listen to at least.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park- The piano version of Valley of Amber is great and would put up a fight here.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode- DIE RAINE (The theme is okay, BoF4's I forgot I had playing. Rule of GS there)

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo- Coinflip.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA- Also a close one, Fatalize is a pretty catchy track.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma- Thinking.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight- Both ended up better than I expected.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero: Not objectively better probably, but HIPPOPRESSOR.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival: GGXX's style of rock is pretty good, certainly. The AI track's merely okay.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park: Fun vs. boring.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode: Men of War is seriously badass and highlights BoF4's pseudo-eastern style well.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo: Another match that makes me weep for some of the crappy matchups we've had. Battle for Freedom is a nice mood-setter for certain. But Nightless City is among my favourites, absolutely perfectly capturing the contradictions of the fallen religious centre with a beautiful, jazzy piece.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA: See, WA? This is how you do an epic boss track (if that is in fact what this is <_< it works as one though) with vocals and not completely fail at it.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma: This is before Mitsuda learned how to write boss tracks. Karma kinda starts meandering later in the track but it's solid stuff until then.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight: For all that I slightly prefer the FE10 version, the Black Knight song is filled with effective, dramatic energy I find compelling. I do like Song of Memory, though, in a match of two tracks I like but not love.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:55:26 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 10:41:56 PM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - Apathy, both are horrible. Standby Zero has more energy.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - Nice, simple song against bad rock. Not a hard choice.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - Close, but gameboy sound kills the FFTA song.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - Unique battle theme against...generic dungeon theme.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - Me voting against a jazz-styled piece? Yup. Battle for Freedom is weak for the first 3 minutes or so, but the main part of the song is just much better in every regard; it alternates the melody around effectively, the harmony (especially with the brass instruments) is some of the best ever in game-music composition, and it has a simple but effective bass line. Guara Bobelo is a good mood piece, but nothing more (for all that jazz is awesome).
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Fatalize has a catchy, but there's nothing special about it. Stigmata is just better all-around, although the vocals could use some work.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - Karma is like a less crappy Meaning of Birth. It still dies like the little bitch it is.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight - Nice simple harp piece with a defined melody beats out "generic SRPG orchestrated battle theme #62."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:47:12 PM by InfinityDragon »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:15:53 PM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero- Close.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival<PiplupGrrl> All GG music sounds exactly the same to me <_<
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode- Cute.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo- Too epic vs. awesome.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA- ToS song is terrible.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma- Not impressed with Karma.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - Decent track vs. forgettable elevator music
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - Questionable quality aside, it's still one of the best tracks in FFTA
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - The other, slower version of Raine's theme would win this

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - Motherf -- God -- stupid, of all the -- damn -- WHORE.  They both rock so much.  Why does one of them have to lose in the first round?  Where is the justice in that?
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Another good match. Voting against Fatalize doesn't hurt quite as much, though.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - Karma's not bad.  Awakening is just better, though.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 01:11:11 AM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero- Meh.  MMXCM music doesn't do anything for me outside the game.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival- I guess.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park- More fun.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode- Ditto.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo- Never really felt Nightless City hype.  Battle for Freedom... works, mostly.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA- ... that's in ToS?  Man, I'm good at blocking shit out.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma- Jeez.  Only Songs I don't need to research.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight- Meh.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:19:32 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 01:13:20 AM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - the Suikoden 2  version sounded a lot better.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - hate, hate, hate the AI song.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - changed my mind on this one.  both are very nice.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - better than usual for ToS. kinda like more popular than Bush.  Not a huge Men at War fan, but it's original, at least.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo that shift in the middle absolutely puts one in mind of wandering through a city with an active nightlife.  probably one of the most impressive feats of composition in this contest, and it sounds cool, to boot.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - ToS: worst soundtrack of the modern RPG era.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - close. another tough first-rounder.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight - song of memory is a nice tune, but I really don't like the voicing on it.

more later
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:30:42 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 01:47:32 AM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - One of the better Suikoden remixes.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - Not really a fan of GG music, and the AI music is pretty nice.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - I guess.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - Some strange tracks from ToS were nommed.  I agree with Lance that Raine's normal theme would win this one, but the Ruins one is standard vaudeville up-tempo silliness.  Men at War is passable.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - Battle for Freedom takes awhile to get warmed up, but it works well in context and doesn't loop for admirably long.  Guara Bobelo is actively annoying; I guess it works in context, but I don't like it normally.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Dang.  And I like Fatalize, too.  Stigmata's only problem is that it feels like too much build-up, distract you from the payoff with a bridge section, then act casual like you were never going to get the conclusion anyway.  It's still good.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - Okay, I need to vote for Tales somewhere because I disagree with the general disrespect it gets, and this is pretty much a tossup.  They're both solid tracks.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight - On one hand, Fire Emblem battle musics only really need a strong opening, because they don't play for very long.  On the other hand, after the stirring opening parts, that really doesn't go anywhere.  And Memoria is nicely atmospheric and creepy.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 01:55:02 AM »
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA: See, WA? This is how you do an epic boss track (if that is in fact what this is <_< it works as one though) with vocals and not completely fail at it.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is.  Though the boss itself is epic in more ways than one.  >.>

Voting to come later!

James_xeno

• Dark Force
  • Denizen
  • And ye shall be as gods
    • View Profile
    • My 1up profile page
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 02:48:19 AM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo
When antelopes cross a river crocodiles will eat some of them, but the majority will still make it through.
Because there are 500 antelope and three crocodiles. Not because the crocodiles are enviornmentalists.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:11:36 AM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - This was in MMXCM? Huh.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - This is closer then it really, really should be~
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - Hm. Easyish~?
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - Odd ToS track is odd.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - I...think~?
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - For all the hype from certain corners I'd have thought it'd be worse, but whatever~
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - This is kind of an average matchup~
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight - Eh.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:41:55 PM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 03:29:56 AM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - I like the flute, don't get me wrong.  But Standby, Zero is pretty awesome.  Fitting for more instances than just where it plays in-game.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - Guilty Gear but no Star Control 2?  For shame!
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - Awesomely serene.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - Another good BoF4 track.  Ruins Mode isn't special on it's own.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - Nightless City does some cool, awesome things.  Fits amazingly well.  BfF is decent enough, I suppose but...FF12.  Just like the game, the song tries to make itself out to be something it never is.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - 2nd best ToS track after End of a Thought.  STIGMATA...don't like the vocalization in the back.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - I like Awakening, but Karma is fucking awesome.  BUMP OF CHICKEN!!!!  Awakening doesn't really deserve to lose when there's some crap here it can beat up, though ;_:
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight - I...like it more.  Black Knight is fitting, but...eh...Song of Memory is just...I don't know.  I just like it better
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:53:06 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 04:30:13 AM »
Standby, Zero
The Midnight Carnival- Town Where the Bells Chime is too simple for my taste. While Midnight Carnival is all fine as long as you look over the fact it is a I-No theme.
Aoba Park- GBA sound
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War

“The Battle for Freedom”
STIGMATA- What's with all the boring ToA tracks?
“Awakening”
Song of Memory

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 04:34:13 AM »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 04:45:13 AM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - Could see this going either way, really.  I like them both quite a bit.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - ...that's bad by Guilty Gear music standards.  And you all know how high I hold those.  Also, against my favorite AI1 song.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - Valley of Amber was ripped out of Alice in Wonderland (I'm fucking serious).  FFTA synth is beyond horrible, and Aoba Park is awesome, so there's no contest here.  Now, the arrange of Valley of Amber?  That's good stuff.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - Men of War rules in its own weird way.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - Is fucking Bobelo.  Battle for Freedom does get really good eventually, but Bobelo is awesome all around.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  (read: I hate Fatalize.)  Also, Mitose for Godlike.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - Actually exists.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight - I have a strange fondness for Song of Memories.  Against the Black Knight isn't bad but kind of generic.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 07:44:54 PM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - Flute is very good
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - Town is just more fun, for all that it is rather simple.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - Oh god the synth. Ow.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - Tough one. Ended up flipping a coin here, really.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - Buildup is all fine and good...when you keep it reasonable.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Another tough one. Fatalize would have beaten nearly anything else in this pool...but not STIGMATA.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - Decent fight, but Karma just isn't enough.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight - Scrub off.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 08:50:36 PM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero: Feh. Worst version of the moonlight theme by far.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival: Needs badly to be some other GG track, but even middling GG > lots, including a forgettable and overplayed town theme.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park: Miserable, MISERABLE synth. Freakin' NES had better. The Persona track isn't much, but...
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode: Raine's a far better "comedy" theme than most(vaguely Okamish? Mm) but gets stomped by one of the best random battle themes out there.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo: Utter slaughter. Awesome versus the definition of OMG EPIX track that tries to be the best ever but ends up sleep-inducing.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA: Yep, the AT vocalists know their stuff.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma: Good vs. utterly generic.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight: This matchup barely exists. Win to the song that raises it to barely.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 10:03:40 PM »
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park My ears!

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 03:26:45 AM »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - MEGA MAN PLOT (beats flute)
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - Uh.  Yeeeeaaaaaaah.  That town theme is... something else.  And not in a good way.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - Not close.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - Ehhh.  Another bad BoF4 track vs poor competition.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - Battle does pick up after a while, but that while is just too long.  Bobelo hits a nice groove from the start.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Fatalize is generic incarnate, bolding this while Stigmata loads... yep, it wins. 
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - Don't really dig Karma's style, and Awakening is one of my favorite XG tracks.  Besides June Mermaid.  Which should win.  *cries*
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight - Not really close, not much to say on either though.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 03:39:19 AM »

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - So different, but good for the same reason, namely an awesome change in the middle.  WA4 pulls it off better, though.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »
Suikoden V- The sound of a flute in the moonlit night v Megaman X Command Mission - Standby, Zero - Standby doesn't really do anything for me. Flute's worse than the version of it I'm used to but still decent.
Atelier Iris - Town Where the Bells Chime v Guilty Gear XX: The Midnight Carnival - I don't really care much for either of these. Think Bells barely takes it.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced- Valley of Amber v Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park - Amber isn't anything special, but I like it. Can't really say the same for Aoba, although it feels like it would work better in-game.
Breath of Fire 4 - Men at War v Tales of Symphonia - Raine: Ruins Mode - Men is far too oriental, and Ruins is far too lame. Sigh.

Final Fantasy XII – “The Battle for Freedom” v Wild Arms 4 - Nightless City Guara Bobelo - Bobelo's win here is mostly due to the fact that it isn't as annoyingly long. Has some amount of style itself, but not that much.
Tales of Symphonia - Fatalize v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Both of these are good. But I do like me some Fatalise.
Xenogears – “Awakening” v Tales of the Abyss: Karma - Fairly simple.
Final Fantasy IX - Song of Memory v Fire Emblem 9 - Against the Black Knight - Man, FE9 is not having a good showing this tournament. I'm sure it has some good tunes but this isn't one of them.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 02:36:03 PM by Twilkitri »

Soulgain

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 06:41:38 AM »