Register

Author Topic: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: The Return! (Week 6)  (Read 2578 times)

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: The Return! (Week 6)
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:21:40 AM »

"Ha! You all managed to pass again. How wonderful... Perhaps I am underestimating you... Perhaps I should throw a few things together for your future trials..."

Team Laggy vs. Lynx, Harle and Gafgarion 13-0
Team Yakumo vs. Ramza and Vandalier Ash 12-0
Team Super vs. Marle, Lucca and Nils, 13-0

Team Laggy's Matches

Floor 2a: Generic Battle Music (Earlygame)

"So you want to try something Generic, huh? Well, let's see what you think about this, then!"

Battle #6: Lorenta, Jelanda, Shiho, Mystina

Lorenta: "I think it's time we go, everyone."
Jelanda: "Hah! These fools think they can defeat us?"
Mystina: "Yes, let's show them just how powerful our magic really is!"

Battle #7: FF1 Knight, FFT Knight, FF3 DS Knight

FF1 Knight: "Well, you're not Fiend, but... I guess I'll stop you."
FFT Knight: "For the might of Ivalice!"

Battle #8: FF1 Black Mage, FFT Wizard, Vivi

FF1 Black Mage: "Well, I guess if I have to bother with this..."
FFT Wizard: "Inscribe on the... something something. Whatever, Flare!"
Vivi: "I don't like this, but I have no choice!"

Battle #9: Lucius, Serra, Renault

Lucius: "We must persevere. Don't give in!"
Serra: "Whatever! They won't beat me!"
Renault: "Take it easy and we'll win, no rushing."

Boss Battle #2: Ramza and Vandalier Ash

Ramza: "You think just because you beat our army you can beat us? Hah! I'm a Beovule!"
Ash: "With the power granted to me by the gods I will strike you down! Let's go!"

Team Yakumo's Matches

Floor 3b: Multiples (Before Midgame)

*All ST is MT for this floor. ALL of it.

Battle #11: Nino

Nino: I'm sorry... I just can't let you through here.

Battle #12: Golem and Alakazam

Pokemon Trainer: YOU CAN DO IT, GOLEM! GO, ALAKAZAM!

Battle #13: Flik and Viktor

Flik: Hmph, this isn't even worthy of us.
Viktor: Ha ha! Let's go... we'll show these kids!

Battle #14: Nina1 and Yuber

Nina1: For my homeland... I cannot lose.
Yuber: Huh? I was summoned here...? Heh.

Boss Battle #3: Alma, Cray and Nils

Alma: I will protect everyone... no matter what.
Cray: Huh? You think you can beat us? Think again, pal!
Nils: Ah... I suppose I'm just here for support, then...

Team Super's Matches

Floor 4a: Reversal of Fortune (Midgame)

"Let's see what happens when your reality is turned upside down? Hahahahaha..."

*For this floor, all damage and healing is reversed. (Damage heals, heals damage) All status healing spells inflict that status at 100% (Including Life -> ID), all status-inflicting spells remove that status (ID -> Life) and all Buffs or debuffs do the opposite (Saner would reduce speed and evasion) These spells can be targetted at enemies or allies.
*All resources used for Healing are infinite, as well.

Battle #16: Fei and Bart

Fei: Let's go, Bart.
Bart: Okay, Fei!

Battle #17: Rosa and Cecil

Rosa: Cecil! Don't worry, we can defeat them!
Cecil: Of course, my love.

Battle #18: Shion, MOMO and KOS-MOS

Shion: You think you can beat us? Ha!
MOMO: Be careful everyone!
KOS-MOS: Analyzing threats...

Battle #19: Robo and Frog

Robo: Threats detected. We shall defeat them.
Frog: Certainly. Mine sword shall thrust at thee!

Boss Battle #4: Rune and Chaz

Rune: Heh... you think you can beat us? Think again. Don't mess this up, Chaz.
Chaz: S...shut up, Rune!!

Team Laggy | Timelord, Jerin, FFT Ninja, Mia, Nall
[Floor 2b]
Team Laggy vs. Lorenta, Jelanda, Shiho, Mystina
Team Laggy vs. FF1 Knight, FFT Knight, FF3 DS Knight
Team Laggy vs. FF1 Black Mage, FFT Wizard, Vivi
Team Laggy vs. Lucius, Serra, Renault
Team Laggy vs. Ramza and Vandalier Ash

Team Yakumo | Yuri2, Edgar, Claude, Aeris (Restore Materia), Mint
[Floor 3b]
*All ST is MT
Team Yakumo vs. Nino
Team Yakumo vs. Alakazam and Golem
Team Yakumo vs. Flik and Viktor
Team Yakumo vs. Nina1 and Yuber
Team Yakumo vs. Cray, Alma and Nils

Team Super| Rika, Aeonless Yuna, Palom, Porom, Onix
[Floor 4a]
*Healing -> Damage Reversal, status reverse, etc.
*All resources normally used for Healing are infinite.
Team Super vs. Fei and Bart
Team Super vs. Rosa and Cecil
Team Super vs. Shion, MOMO and KOS-MOS
Team Super vs. Robo and Frog
Team Super vs. Rune and Chaz
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:08:45 PM by Nephrite »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: The Return! (Week 6)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:45:04 AM »
[Floor 2b]
Team Laggy vs. Lorenta, Jelanda, Shiho, Mystina- TE Mystina, Jerin+Ninja fry Shiho. Easy from there.
Team Laggy vs. FF1 Knight, FFT Knight, FF3 DS Knight- EDIT: Magic break isn't turn 1. Knight can be killed before his second turn, every thing else can be healed away.
Team Laggy vs. FF1 Black Mage, FFT Wizard, Vivi- Ninja/Jerin kill Wizard, TL one rounds Vivi, Black Mage can't do anything fatal.
Team Laggy vs. Lucius, Serra, Renault- Yeah, Ninja does bad things here.
Team Laggy vs. Ramza and Vandalier Ash- Overdrive.

[Floor 3b]
Team Yakumo vs. Nino- Nino smites, Aeris heals and Claude/Yuri paste her. Next.
Team Yakumo vs. Alakazam and Golem- Alakazam does horrible things to a team with MT Pyschic, but doesn't OHKO. Aeris uses her L2 limit and should avoid triggering a limit, but she's faster than Golem and can heal the party up with Mint. Edgar locks down Golem, Claude OHKOs Alakazam.
Team Yakumo vs. Flik and Viktor- Flik BRINGS the pain and promptly doesn't OHKO anyone. What he does do is trigger a limit, Aeris heals and that's that.
Team Yakumo vs. Nina1 and Yuber- Don't.. think anyone is killed by the combined Nina/Yuber assault. Edgar's noise blaster saves the day again otherwise, team quickly knocks out Nina and  heals up for the boss.
Team Yakumo vs. Cray, Alma and Nils- I think. Bunched turns do the trick there.

[Floor 4a]
Team Super vs. Fei and Bart- Saner Fei's team. Yuna IDs Fei, Porom IDs Bart.
Team Super vs. Rosa and Cecil- See above. Even if you let Rosa immune ID, she gets brutally statused out by Porom.
Team Super vs. Shion, MOMO and KOS-MOS- See above. Palom can heal as needed as well here.
Team Super vs. Robo and Frog- Yuna IDs Frog, Robo can't OHKO anyone.
Team Super vs. Rune and Chaz- Yuna IDs Chaz, Rika Saners the enemy team, leaving them defenseless to a status blitz.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:55:43 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:28:54 AM »
[Floor 2b]
Team Laggy vs. Lorenta, Jelanda, Shiho, Mystina - TE someone, kill someone else, VP mages weep.
Team Laggy vs. FF1 Knight, FFT Knight, FF3 DS Knight - Magic Break is 61% and only 50% mMP damage. Regardless, even if you see that as being a problem (I don't, TL should have 50ish JP since he starts with 40, TE is 5, OD is 10 and he has infinite during OD), there's always TimeLeap, which is 2 JP and 100% success rate to lock FFT Knight from doing anything. Or consequently speedbust him with TE and blitz him instead - he's no tank like FF1 Knight is. FF3 DS Knight sucks, FF1 Knight is completely ST damage that can be healed away. Slog through, next.
Team Laggy vs. FF1 Black Mage, FFT Wizard, Vivi - TE out Vivi, blitz FFT Wizard (ahaha that durability) and mock FF1 BM.
Team Laggy vs. Lucius, Serra, Renault - More TEing. Opposition lacks any sort of offense to be scary, not enough to keep up with both Jerin and Mint healing.
Team Laggy vs. Ramza and Vandalier Ash - OD if you see him having the JP, but he doesn't even need it - opening TE on Ash ends this fight there and that's that.

[Floor 3b]
Team Yakumo vs. Nino - Noiseblaster lock, heal up from her first attack (remember, she hit everyone, so he does need multiple turns for this), AirAnchor and laugh.
Team Yakumo vs. Alakazam and Golem - Opening Psychic is fruitless, since it doesn't kill, Golem is too slow to take advantage of it and Noiseblaster owns both handily. In fact, because it's so fruitless, I don't see the opposition bothering at all (since it builds up Aeris' limit gauge) - instead Alakazam throws up Reflect and makes them waste some more resources. Kinda fruitless due to Tools being infinite but eh.
Team Yakumo vs. Flik and Viktor - See above. Edgar's really ruling here. They're better served to not act at all, or go for ST damage and force some healing.
Team Yakumo vs. Nina1 and Yuber - Hm. Nina1 opens with Hold on Edgar, then promptly gets splatted and Yuber... yeah, not enough. They can only delay the inevitable. This pair lacks any offense to be scary.
Team Yakumo vs. Cray, Alma and Nils - EDIT: Okay, I forgot both MBarrier and Ultima are MT now. That's.. actually quite scary. Alma's status immune and goes before Edgar to set up MBarrier on her entire team. Edgar .. probably can only confuse Nils, since Cray has resistance and he can't do his magic on Alma. Plus, Nils' evasion actually makes it somewhat difficult for him to be hit out of confusion by the other team, and since all he can do is sing (which he'll be singing on Yak's team!) he won't ever knock himself out of it.

That said, the enemy team's actually in a bit of trouble, since the only surefire way to knock Nils out of confusion is Ultima (which is ITE, IIRC) and that would sting their entire side. They can try to gamble with Alma's physical or Cray's Quake but they're not guaranteed hits and risk wasting turns. Cray and Alma simply going on the offensive is going to guarantee limits for Aeris, since all their offense is MT, and I don't think a Cray physical + Ultima is killing anyone. Meanwhile, everyone else on Yak's team is pounding away at one of the opposition, and as walltastic as MBarrier is, I don't think it's enough to drain them out. If their attacks happen to knock Nils out of confusion, Edgar simply reapplies. Tentative pass for now.

[Floor 4a]
Team Super vs. Fei and Bart
Team Super vs. Rosa and Cecil
Team Super vs. Shion, MOMO and KOS-MOS
Team Super vs. Robo and Frog
Team Super vs. Rune and Chaz - Open with Saner/ID everyone works just fiiiine. *punts Rika*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:06:31 PM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »
Fury Brand=Full combo bar for Yuri

While I'm not sure this makes a difference to any votes, but I think you're confusing SH2 and SH3 here. SH2 had no such mechanic, combos between PCs were performed by having one PC use his/her turn to move beside another, then he/she would automatically get a turn after the other PC attacked. No gauge involved, and no Doubles.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:24:53 PM »
Oooh, right. My fault.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »
Not that it really matters, Laggy, since you think I pass anyway, but ALL ST is MT on this floor.  This includes my healing, if I'm reading this right.  So, once I Noiseblaster a floor, it doesn't take long to be ready to move on to the next one.

Man, I'm still alive due almost entirely to one tool.  <_< 

As far as Laggy is concerned, FF1 Knight has badass defenses, yes... at endgame.  I think we're supposed to be scaling enemies too now, though?  Correct me if I'm wrong here.  Anyway, the Knight really isn't special against magic in any game, and Timelord starting with all his magic kinda makes the early floors cry.  He passes.

Super... well, I need to look at speeds here, if either Cecil or Rosa gets a turn Esuna will screw somebody up if they have it at this point... well, actually, Palom can probably cure the statuses eventually, so it probably won't matter.  Tentative yes until I can check for sure, I have no idea on relative FFIV speed offhand.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 06:43:49 PM »
Knight is actually an INSANE tank early on in the game, Fighter has tons of armor while the rest of the team has jack and shit.

Cecil is either average or below average depending on what you hold against him (4o? 4a? Count Minvera speed against him?), Rosa is slow unless you give her the Minvera, I think she also just scrapes close to average otherwise.

Quote from: Laggykins[/quote
Team Yakumo vs. Cray, Alma and Nils - Unlike Super, I don't see Aeris' limits ever coming into play here. That said, it doesn't matter, 'cause Nils can do nothing about Tools, Alma sucks ass for damage output (she just plays a lasting game) and Cray... is even worse. What a sad boss fight.

Edgar's only really statusing Nils, who he's slower than. I.. am really not sure here.  A double Ultima from Alma is something like 90% PC damage- The big problem with that is that Aeris can't be allowed to get a limit, or else she's going to iinstantly heal and undo the damage.  I really need to chew on thsi fight, Yuri has some options that could tip things.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 06:54:35 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »
As far as Laggy is concerned, FF1 Knight has badass defenses, yes... at endgame.  I think we're supposed to be scaling enemies too now, though?  Correct me if I'm wrong here.  Anyway, the Knight really isn't special against magic in any game, and Timelord starting with all his magic kinda makes the early floors cry.  He passes.

Bosses should be scaled relative to when you fight them in their games, everything else should be scaled against endgame. If it's easier for you to not do that, then that's fine, but most people just like using 'DL-legal' averages for that sort of thing.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:47:33 PM »
In fact, given that any attack against the two people immuning Confusion will also break confusion on Nils, Noiseblaster doesn't actually serve any purpose in the fight against Alma and Crey besides forcing them to equip Confusion protection.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »
Yeah, silly me, I forgot to apply the entire MT/ST deal on Yakko's team. Whoops. Editing (I'll see if that changes things off-hand.)

Neph, in your matchup summary at the end you don't have MT->ST noted on Yak's floor. That's where the confusion arose. (You have the rule on super's floor, though.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:07:33 PM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 09:08:26 PM »
Yeah, silly me, I forgot to apply the entire MT/ST deal on Yakko's team. Whoops. Editing (I'll see if that changes things off-hand.)

Neph, in your matchup summary at the end you don't have MT->ST noted on Yak's floor. That's where the confusion arose. (You have the rule on super's floor, though.)

Oops. I'll fix that. Sorry.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »
Ah, misunderstood the change then.  Well, I'll have to look at this a little more in depth when I get back from work.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
Super's correct in that FF1 Knight's defence is way better early on. It's actually at its worst late in the game; FF1 defence falls off in effectiveness, in addition to the fact that mages get some non-total fail equips like the White/Black Robes and Protect Rings. Granted, I treat all dungeon enemies as endgame, but a note for those who do differently.

EDIT: What's really beastly about FF1 Knight at endgame is his HP and 70% resistance to all FF1 elements, though, and to be fair, the HP is probably less uber early on (though always gamebest) and the elemental resists don't exist until mid- to lategame depending on the resist in question.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:35:40 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
I never said his defense was bad, I was talking about defense against magic, which I don't recall being all that much better than anyone else's until when he gets the resistances.  Maybe I'm misremembering, though?  Anyway, doesn't matter as I'd misunderstood the change and he's scaled to endgame after all.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 11:24:13 PM »
All three make it.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 02:09:40 AM »
I never said his defense was bad, I was talking about defense against magic, which I don't recall being all that much better than anyone else's until when he gets the resistances.  Maybe I'm misremembering, though?  Anyway, doesn't matter as I'd misunderstood the change and he's scaled to endgame after all.

Oh, his MDef is average, but he has buckets of HP pretty much the entire game.
-------------------

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 06:49:42 AM »
Well, after further review I'd have to say my votes stand, Super and Laggy make it.  No voting on myself as usual.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »
This needs more votes.
-------------------

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 05:55:47 AM »
More votes?  Kay.

Blanket pass to all - it seems easy enough, at least.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 08:53:31 PM »
Super goes through, I'm not sure about the rest.