Author Topic: Mafia Playstyles Discussion  (Read 5560 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Mafia Playstyles Discussion
« on: May 08, 2008, 06:26:46 PM »
Alrighty, considering the sheer amount of people who have issues with how other people play, one way or another, it seems like we need one of these topics. Particularly because Laggy and I got into a longish debate about this very thing this morning and it struck me that both sides of this fence are stances that everyone needs to hear.

Rules of the Thread (hey, it's in the mafia forum, gotta have some rules)
Converse To Win is Not a rule. Feel free to keep it civil in here, this is not a game thread.
Keep An Open Mind. Like any debate, one should not enter this conversation with the mindset that there is nothing that can change your mind on anything. That's kind of counter to the point of discussion, yes?

That's...pretty much it. Shouldn't be too hard.

I'll kick things off with a recap of what Laggy and I talked about this morning in a bit(or if he wants to beat me too it, that would be fine). Just want to get the topic up so I don't forget about it.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Playstyles Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:18:27 PM »
Alrighty, sorry about taking so long to get to this, but I had my morning eaten by unexpected stomach pain.

And as I cannot think right now, I'm just going to transcribe. As it should be apparent, Laggy is arguing the side of Team Overly Aggressive Jerk and I am arguing the side of Team Passive-Agressive Pansy(also known as Team Serious Players and Team Casual Players. But really, what's the fun in those terms?)

<Laggy> Let me put it this way, the only reason I wouldn't let Otter play in a game is because of his blatant defiance of Cid's ruling. His actual attitude and aggressiveness in Mafia is completely within what the game expects.
<Laggy> But everyone seems bent to hell that he's being uncivil and rude
<Laggy> But that is how the game is MEANT to be played. Scum win by posing as town and being nice.
<Laggy> And people take things way too personally
<Gate> eh. I can also see the other side of things where folks like Alex and Otter get way too personal in thier offensives, then tell the others not to take it so hard. I'd just as soon tell those guys to chill out and not take the game so seriously.
<Laggy> That isn't Playing to Win, though.
<Gate> but I'm discovering that if being an agressive hardass is the Way To Play Mafia, well, I derive no enjoyment from acting like that, even in a game, and this is probably not the game for me.
<Laggy> First off, they don't take that resentment and seriousness outside of the game and hold it personally. Secondly, again, being nice and playing I'm Okay You're Okay is an easy way to hand scum a win on a silver platter.
<Laggy> That's fine
<Laggy> It probably isn't
<Gate> seriously, if that is the One True Way To Play Mafia, then it's probably not the game for this entire group
<Laggy> But that violates Playing to Win
<Laggy> And if you are using that as a RULE
<Laggy> Then something's off
<Gate> uh, I will not agree that being an Agressive Hardass is teh only way to play to win
<Gate> see, this is where my big issue with the Team Serious style comes up. They presents thier way as the only way, I cannot believe that there is only one way to do anything.
<Laggy> You may or may not agree, that doesn't mean that they don't have their own valid view and will pursue it aggressively. And in the context of the game, you should not call on them from doing so.
<Laggy> And say that they are Mean and Bad
<Laggy> Disagree anyway, don't take it PERSONALLY
<Laggy> People DO
<Laggy> You don't have to play it their style, but you cannot accuse them of being overboard in what they decide as their viewpoint
<Laggy> And if it bothers you personally that they are, in their eyes, Playing to Win, and comes out as 'these guys are too serious and too hard about this game', see the logical fallacy there?
<Gate> flipside, if they can legitimately accuse others of not going far enough, then it's perfectly legit for others to say they go too far.
<Laggy> Yes. Go for it. But people are saying they go too far and are saying I WILL NOT PLAY IF X IS PLAYING
<Laggy> Notice none of them are saying they won't play if people don't take the game seriously enough.
<Laggy> That is what I mean by people taking things way too presonally.
<Laggy> *personally
<Gate> it's not so much a "they take it too personally" as the way Team Serious plays, and generally force the entire game to go because people won't tell them to back off In Topic, makes the game unenjoyable.
<Gate> basically, I just see it like the same as if you have a couple Serious Contenders at a game with a bunch of Casual Players. the Serious ones are going to walk all over the casuals and that's that. Just like with any game.
<Gate> but if the majority of people want to be casual instead of Serious...
<Laggy> Yes, they are. That doesn't inherently mean the serious ones are doing anything wrong outside of the context of the game, and the casuals are in a sense LETTING them run them over.
<Gate> then it seems to me that it's the fewer serious folks who need to chill out a bit.
<Laggy> That's saying that everyone should play on group concensus
<Laggy> Which is completely... not the point of Mafia
<Gate> see, your stance seems to be that the casuals need to step up and be serious if they want to play. Which I don't agree with.
<Laggy> Since the point of Mafia is to find out, accuse and lynch people
<Laggy> Wrong
<Laggy> I'm saying they need to stop getting overrun by Team Serious to the point where they say OMG TOO UNFUN DON'T WANT TO PLAY. If they don't want to pursue the aggressive playstyle, don't.
<Laggy> In fact, there's nothing to stop them from ignoring that
<Laggy> In-game
<Laggy> I do disagree that anyone should adjust their play style for anyone else, whether casuals being more serious or serious being more casual
<Laggy> In a sense, agree to disagree and be done with it
<Laggy> But if they are letting it bother them to the point where they don't want to play because x is playing, they're taking the game *more seriously* than those who play the game 'seriously'.
<Laggy> By definition.
<Laggy> Pretty much the stance that 'casuals' are taking is 'serious guys need to stop playing so serious, it's ruining my fun of the game' yet you go around and say that you think serious people shouldn't expect casual players to play seriously.
<Laggy> I think that both sides being forced to appease the other is BS and contrary to the game of Mafia, by definition.
<Laggy> Even more so when you specifically state that Playing to Win is a rule, which means 'play the way you think will best land you victory in the game', if that means playing dirty, trying to get people riled up or abuse of metagame, whatever.
<Gate> Agree to Disagree would suit me fine. But it doesn't seem as if the serious players are doing that either, what with certain RARGH PLAYSTYLE RANTS and all.
<Laggy> So what? Again, you're letting those rants affect how you feel about the game. They do not control the game any more than you do, only if you let them do so do they have that reach.
<Laggy> Your vote is still your vote.
<Laggy> Of course the game is going to result to argument vs argument, and there may be no feasible compromise, but in the end, voting decides the outcome, does it not?
<Laggy> And no amount of ranting or posting changes that, and everyone has 1 vote.
<Laggy> In a sense I don't see how the serious players AREN'T subject to this, and that they have this mysterious special power that allows to run and control the game. They really don't.
<Laggy> They have 1 vote each like every other person.
<Gate> it's the same thing that happens with any social group. The people who are really agressive and loud end up controlling the flow of convsersation because the people trying to be polite, are being polite to the agressive loud people too. There really isn't anything to do about it aside from pointing out what's happening and seeing if it changes.
<Laggy> I know what you mean by that, but my point is, in the end, you are your own voice and you control by the vote.
<Laggy> That is what truly makes everyone equal in Mafia by the end, regardless of their stance on issues
<Laggy> So if you read the rants and aggressive playstyle and you don't agree with it? Don't vote for it. I caution not listening to someone due to playstyle rather than content, but you shouldn't see that as something that overruns what your vote ultimately is.
<Gate> and my point is that no matter how much you say "they need to stop taking it so seriously" the fact is in a social game, the behaviour of other people WILL influance your enjoyment of the game. And if you honestly say otehrwise, you're a stronger man then anyone else I've met.
<Laggy> That's where I'm going to have to disagree, yes. "Playing to Win" and the nature of Mafia (seek out, accuse and lynching people? That's pretty serious) means "don't let people rub you the wrong way, because in the end it is still just a game".
<Laggy> If that's not the kinda game for you, that is fair, and if you do not want to play because of it, that's fair too
<Laggy> But again, I disagree with people saying I won't play because of x... because it's basically saying I won't play, because someone is playing the game they way they see is the best way to win, and I disagree, so unless they get in line with how I see, I won't play.
<Gate> The agressive playstyles don't get me overly much, but the stance that "this way is the only right way to play" irkes me at the very core of my entire life's philosophy. Thier actions do influance my enjoyment, though not in the same way others' do. (also the time issues, but that's a whole 'nother critter)
<Laggy> It's hypocritical in that it's the exact same for the other side
<Laggy> Except I DON'T see Team Serious going I won't play because people aren't taking Mafia seriously enough.
<Gate> That just strikes me as someone knowing how they enjoy the game and looking for groups that better fit them.
<Laggy> No no
<Laggy> Okay
<Gate> Jenna plays mafia just fine at her internal board at work
<Gate> for an example
<Laggy> Let me take this line.
<Laggy> "but the stance that "this way is the only right way to play" irkes me at the very core of my entire life's philosophy"
<Laggy> ^ They do that because they see Mafia as a game where you assert your viewpoint over and over and you MUST take this stance. This does not apply to thier actual personallities, outside of the game.
<Laggy> This applies to how they see Mafia as a game and the best way to win it.
<Gate> right. I get along with them just fine outside the game.
<Laggy> This doesn't mean they are inherently people who flat out rejects all other views and are just assholes who will never listen to anyone else.
<Laggy> Exactly.
<Laggy> But if you're aren't playing the game because of X, that means you have an issue with X the person. Not with the game.
<Gate> all that means is that inside the game, they irritate me greatly.
<Gate> no, I have an issue with how they play mafia, not with them as people.
<Laggy> Hence my earlier comment that if you don't want to play the game, due to the nature of the game and what it can bring out of people, that's fine.
> I can seprate the two just fine.
<Laggy> But you should not expect them to tone down for the sake of others, any more than you expect others to ramp up for them.
<Laggy> That's my point.

Alright, so if you want to get the full weight of what we talked over earlier, read the above. If not, here's the tl:dr version:

Laggy: The casual players need to stop getting on the serious players' cases for being serious. This is a game about witchhunting scum, not about being nice and pleasant to eachother. Being agressive is how you win.

Gate: I disagree that being agressive is the only way to win, and in fact see excessive agression as something that makes the game harder to deal with, and less enjoyable.

Laggy: Stop letting the actions of other people influance your enjoyment of the game. You do things your way, they'll do things their way, and there will be arguments but people need to stop taking it personally.

Gate: in a social setting, the actions of other people WILL influance your enjoyment of an activity. Saying to not let it is like saying to stop letting pain hurt. It's not exactly a simple thing to do.

Laggy: But you can't say that you won't play thier way, and expect them to play your way or you won't play at all. That's hypocracy.

Gate: a) no moreso then when thier way of playing seems to contain a lot of telling everyone else that thier way is the only right way to do it, and b) it seems more like knowing what it is you don't like and just not doing the things you don't like.

<%Laggy> no not really.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:33:52 AM »
So, Team Aggro Jerk checking in.  I think the tldr section sums things up very nicely, on both sides, except for pointing out that there may also be some confusion over the difference between aggressive and uncivil play.

I definitely play very aggressively.  I don't think I play uncivilly.  If someone's using a strategy that I think is bad, yeah, I'm gonna call them out on it and say "Your strategy sucks and you're playing poorly."  I don't see anything rude or uncivil about this - the attack is on the person's play, in that game, not the person themselves.  If I were to take it further and say "Person X is a moron outside the game because they play this way," that would be a problem - but I don't try to do that, I don't think I do that, and if I have ever come off that way I apologize. 

Attacking someone's gameplay, however, I feel is both valid and necessary, because: (all from the perspective of me being a townie, here)
A.  that person might be scum and their poor gameplay may be deliberate, in which case they need attacking and lynching.  This is a good way to find scum - in fact I'd say it's the ONLY way to find scum without power roles or a lot of cardflips in hand (and in a small game, like the 9 player that just went down, you can't collect a lot of cardflips.)
B. If they're townie and what they're doing is unintentional, calling them on it helps them realize this and learn and understand why they should not do it in the future.
C.  If they're townie and what they're doing is intentional, and I seriously think it's bad play, then we need to talk and argue about it and present our respective cases.  This is beneficial no matter what the resolution is, and especially so because this is indistinguishable from case A or B while the game's going on.  Maybe I'll be able to convince them, maybe they'll be able to convince me, maybe one of us will get lynched.  That's okay.

Gate's statement that "I disagree that being aggressive is the only way to win" is something I can't find myself agreeing with at all.   All the other options I can think of are very suboptimal.  Rely on roles?  The problems with this one have been pointed out at length.  Sit and wait, try to catch scum on 'slips,' LAL, perceived hypocrisy and the like?  No, town can slip up just as easily as scum - in fact MORE easily, this is self evident and Post Restriction provides a good example if you're unconvinced.  Hypocrisy and LAL are good lines of attack, but they really ARE just forms of attacking someone's playstyle.  See Sopko, who claims he prefers a lurking playstyle even as town. 

So, if you're not willing to aggressively attack people's playstyles, just how exactly ARE you going to find scum as a townie?  Yes, the aggressive part is also necessary, since defense in this game is pretty easy and if someone doesn't step up and bring it, so to speak, there's no reasonable chance to get a timely lynch majority together.  Again, the games played here (and elsewhere if you look around) bear this out.

I have a well-deserved reputation as a hardass in Mafia here, but that doesn't mean I'm unconvinceable or that you shouldn't argue with me in a game.  See Random, where I was dumb, played poorly, and Ciato stepped up and got me lynched for it.  We spent the whole game (while I was alive) screaming at each other and being at each others' throats.  In the end?  Game was made better by it and because of how it went down I learned a valuable lesson, incorporated it into my play for the future and far from being upset or annoyed at her I am very thankful to her for doing it. 

This is how it should be, you argue within the game but it's helpful outside and for the future, no hard feelings, everything based on each side's best chances to win.  I'll term this Competitive play, and yeah, I'll make that a blanket statement that this is how it should be, because the alternative in the games we're playing is saying "tread carefully because people should be free to take offense at ingame arguments and carry them out of game" and that is just something I cannot ever support, for hopefully obvious reasons.  I understand how Gate's saying this isn't easy for everyone, but I honestly don't see a resolution for this other than "try your best and if you can't, don't play."  If you can't leave ingame arguments in the game, Mafia is just not the game for you.  Nothing wrong with that.

"But," you say, "It doesn't have to be this way!  There are other, more casual ways to play!"
Yeah, there are - under some circumstances.  The most common type is having (usually very large) role heavy games, which you can find examples of in many places, even some of the games here.  Although those setups can be played competitively, they certainly don't have to be in order to be successful (as defined by people having fun while playing and all sides having reasonable chances to win). 

For the mostly plain setups we've seen in the standard games here, though, I'll argue that they MUST be played competitively to be successful by the above definition.  You can play them other ways, but if you do, all sides do not have a reasonable chance to win - town will lose an overwhelming majority of the time.  Why?  Because not everyone in the game is a townie.  Scum exist, they have a massive informational advantage, and if they put forth even a token effort towards winning they will easily be able to do so against a noncompetitive town.  Trying to tell scum "don't use any dirty tricks, please, don't exploit us and point us towards routes that will lynch townies instead of you!" is unenforceable and pretty obviously not going to work, in addition to destroying the point of playing the game from the scum side. 

In order for town to have any realistic chance of winning on their own in a mostly vanilla setup, they HAVE to lever the only edges they have.  Numbers.  Open discussion and active argumentation.  Determining the best ways to tell scum from their behavior, agreeing on these, and lynching the people they lead to. 

This is the essence of what Mafia is, by definition.  This is the game I love playing, and have fun while doing so even if I wind up on the wrong end of a screaming lynch train - as long as people are actually playing.  Because of the nature of the game, if some people on a team (scum or town) choose not to play competitively, it hurts the ability of everyone on that team to do so.  That is pretty much the only thing that can annoy me outside the game and make me reluctant to enter games with those people anymore - and even then I think I have a pretty high tolerance in that regard and am usually willing to soldier on anyhow.

Edit, since I realize this can cause confusion with what I said up top - there's no problem with people not playing competitively as long as they're at least willing to TRY to do so; if this is the case I'll chew them up in the game, but it's for a good cause, and I'll be totally happy playing with them.

Yes, this is all just my opinion, but it is an informed opinion that I feel is backed up by facts, logic and gameplay examples to the point where I feel very comfortable defending it and don't see much possibility of my being convinced otherwise.  Sure, it's possible, and I'm definitely open to new ideas, and if anyone has any they shouldn't be afraid to bring them up.  My shooting down other theories is not because I'm blindly convinced that my way is the only way, it's because facts, logic, examples and experience convince me that my current way is the best way.  If I'm not using those things to back up my arguments?  Lynch me.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:38:20 AM by Sir Alex »

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 03:55:20 AM »
I'm going to have to agree on this. Basically because I was labelled "uncivil" and was placed at -1 to lynch because: I called the arguments of scum 'rubbish', which they were (sorry Meeple!).

I wasn't trying to offend Meeple. I was trying to find scum. If the "Tom is being uncivil" stuff hadn't gained so much weight, town might have caught scum a lot faster. So it really works against town, as has been said already in this thread.

Edit: Referring to Fire Emblem Mafia

(wow, it's so weird editing posts here)
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:03:30 AM »
Signing in for Team Passive-Aggressive Pansies, here.

Honestly, I do agree with both the summary and most of the points being raised here.  In fact, I do agree with Alex that there is a vast degree of difference between aggressive play and uncivil play.  That said, I would also argue that being overly aggressive tends to lapse into incivility when it demands more from a player than they are able or willing to give.  Calling people short, and using language that comments more on them than their playing, for example, is a good example of being overly aggressive and lapsing into incivility because of it.

And this is an issue.  First, because I don't think that harsh language is necessary to put pressure on someone.  Nor are attacks that refer to any characteristics besides how well they play the game.  In fact, these acts tend to make people defensive and emotional, which simply distorts their behaviour, makes them less able to play the game, and tends to make the game less enjoyable for everyone concerned.  And, as shown by the behaviour of Rat, it isn't necessary to be considered a good player, or even to be capable of finding scum.  Hell, Ciato's another good example of a non-confrontational method that manages to hit home.

Secondly, being over tenacious in one's attacks is a method that seems far more likely to backfire than actually produce worthwhile results.  Alex, you're someone I specifically note as a good player who can't adapt well to people not playing like you expect us to, which I suspect is a large part of your previous rants about how we don't play the game right.  This is from both you chasing after myself and others, but also from a few conversations behind the scenes.  I think Otter also suffers from that to a degree as well, and that's one of my main beefs with the serious players crowd.  The fact that not only does that style of play cause stress when turned too high up, but it also seems to compound the issue when the demand is made that the rest of us play similarily so that you don't have to change how you see things when you play here.

As an aside for Tom.  Y'know where I said that there's a difference between aggression and incivility?  In the FE game, Alex defined aggression, and you in Day 1, and Andy on Day 2 exemplified Incivility.  Trying to get people to pay attention to you is no cause to be as rude as you were.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:38:41 AM »
I don't have a problem with aggression. I prefer a laid back style, but I've been known to be aggressive from time to time. Even underhanded and spiteful (ie, Composer).

My problem with the whole "playing the game the right way" thing isn't so much that it's a bad philosophy. Good play is always better than bad. However, people seem to use it as a shield for when they make bad moves. "Well, I was completely, one hundred percent wrong, but it's not my fault because it followed good play! In fact, I'm actually right in this situation and YOU'RE wrong because (etc)"

Bullshit. Patting yourself on the back for good play when you make a mistake, using it as a blanket for your failure is pitiful. I don't even really mean common, understandable mistakes. There are egregious, stupid mistakes that can be made and covered for under the good play safety net.

As someone who probably played one team sport too many, I'm mostly in line with Gate's reasoning that in a social game, other peoples' behavior DOES effect how you enjoy the game. However, in truth  it is a refinement of that. It only effects it if you have no one else to play with. Not many people here play Mafia with other people, thus, their enjoyment of the game is limited to the experiences they have at the DL. If they don't like the game at the DL, and that's their only source, then they just won't play it.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:08:20 AM »
Maybe this is just me, and certainly I barely play Mafia.  But...
The game as Alex described it... wouldn't be any fun.  Good play is essentially doggedly persuing everyone, going for the jugguler, and holding on like grim death.  For me, playing that, on either the recieving or adminstering end, just plain isn't fun, and it seems to me like it takes a huge chunk of things like strategy and skill out of it and rewards primarily experience and willingness to be an asshole.  And it sure as hell woudln't be relaxing in any sense, so... yeah.  I certainly wouldn't want to play that game at all.
At the same time, I had a great amount of fun in the first DL game.  I know Mafia can in fact not be the game Alex described.  Yet a few people who seem to have read some Mafia-scum Absolute Rules book insist that all other manners of play are in fact novice and should be abandoned by any serious player after a few tries.
Of course, I'm a bit offbeat.  I find metagaming and trying to figure out the entire system the most fun.  Mafia for me is at its best when it's a puzzle, trying to work out who's doing what based on how they act and weighing what they claim against what you know and their trustworthiness.

But hey, maybe I'm alone in all that.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 08:37:14 AM »
To partially respond to the above...

I call people out as harshly as I do because I believe it is in fact necessary to convey the message I'm trying to send. 
"X isn't a good idea and I think you might be scummy for suggesting it" -> Nobody's going to pay much attention to this and the person in question will likely brush it off. 
"X is a horrible idea that kicks town in the groin and that makes your role scum groinkicker" -> This makes people pay attention and the person in question will remember it and never do X again.
Assuming of course that both statements are properly backed up, this is how my mind goes and why I phrase things the way I do.  Being on the receiving end of the latter may be less fun at the time, but if it gets the message across better, that's what counts.  At least to me.  I may experiment in future games with being softer and we'll see what happens. 

Admittedly, I also have thicker skin than most and actually do enjoy crazy "DIE SCUM" mudslinging, as long as it is always reasonably backed up.  I understand not everyone does.  There's also an element of trying to knock people I suspect are scum off their mental balance, to learn more about them.  Excal's right in noticing that I don't adapt well to certain things, especially people who are emotionally unable to brush off attacks like this.  If I go after someone and they totally shut down, I'm more likely to assume they're scum with no defense than a townie unable to defend themselves, because the two look exactly alike.  I don't see much I can do about this other than tossing the tactic out the window entirely (which irritates me since it's throwing away a tactic I consider valuable quite often) or telling folks to toughen up.  I don't think I set the bar too high, but...

This also speaks a bit to what Soppy said.  While yes, it is stupid to justify every error made in the name of good play, sometimes there's not much else you can do.  In the long run, yes, I'd prefer to reward people playing by the best or what they believe to be the best strategies, even when they happen to get it wrong.  Such instances call for reevaluating whether the strategy itself is good or bad. 

Ah, and CK posts with a good totally opposite viewpoint.

Which... I don't agree with and am not sure I fully understand.  The things that he says he wants - strategy, skill, figuring out who's doing what based on how they act - are what this 'good play' stuff is all about.  What he terms the Absolute Rules Book is strategy, the best strategies possible as figured out by logic and experience, and applying it by pursuing lynch cases and trying to convince other people you are right is skill.  Dismissing all that as "the most persistent person wins" is untrue and entirely missing the point.  From my perspective, the first few games played (particularly FFT, which I think is what CK is referring to, and similar role heavy games) had little or no strategy and skill involved and came down to random chance, basically "did you pick the right person with your night action" with no rational guidelines as to who that might be. 

I'd love to hear someone delineate some other forms of strategy and skill.  Metagaming can sometimes be useful in small doses, but proven not reliable in any major sense - look at FE, where I was all set to lynch Rat mostly because Excal was the first scum kill!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 08:50:18 AM »
Addendum to my previous post. Contention seems to spark from the four outcome situations, and I'll cover them. Apply a generous dose of quotes to all references to good play and bad play.

"Good play" leads to a positive outcome- Well, of course! It's good play, why shouldn't it? It validates the Good Play crowd's theories. Usually ends with the least amount of stress for all parties.

"Good play" leads to a negative outcome- Good play follows logical arguments that have a higher percentage chance of winding up helping, but it's only a chance. People don't seem to get that they can be WRONG under this, and it doesn't matter how wrong you are, it won't change that fact. The Good Play crowd seem to get nervous that this invalidates their strategic choices, so they get defensive, sometimes leading to the "Well, it was under the tenets of good play I ascribe to, so I'm absolved of all wrongness!" and thats what people get mad at.

"Bad play" leads to a positive outcome- Generally, this leads to the biggest uproar. Now, I'll never argue that good play won't have a higher percentage chance of succeeding, but sometimes it's that fallicious argument, odd leap of logic/faith, intuition, guesswork or blind stinking luck that ends up working, and when you win, you win. This seems to piss the Good Play crowd off as it makes them fear people will think their bad play justified and continue it. They go out of their way to point out that being right for the wrong reason is not a Good Thing and they should be careful about repeating that behavior. Again, it's like they get nervous that it casts doubt on how they play the game. From experience here, games where there IS a lot of "bad play" usually makes "good play" less effective. Making arguments on cold, hard evidence and logic still nets you a positive outcome more often than not by a large margin, but you know, when you're right you're right.

"Bad play" leads to a negative outcome- Mostly just leads to a bunch of "I told you so!"'s

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:51:39 AM »
I'm just going by what you're saying.  It sounds like the essential element of good play is to get other players to crack.  As such, all 'good play' will look virtually identical, which seems to me like it would gut strategy and observation from the game.  Not entirely of course, there are presumably accompanying strategies along with the nutcracking element, but they are much more limited (since, afterall, you have to essentially play similarly).  Otherwise, it similarly seems that this environment and limited scope of play rewards raw experience ("hm, scum will make x mistakes since those are the ones I saw myself last time I played scum") rather than skill in reading people ("hm.  Why would they do x?  I should call them on it.")  I have no idea is this is any clearer at all.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »
The Good Play crowd seem to get nervous that this invalidates their strategic choices, so they get defensive, sometimes leading to the "Well, it was under the tenets of good play I ascribe to, so I'm absolved of all wrongness!" and thats what people get mad at.

Quoting this for truth, and to help answer CK. 

Maybe it could be better explained this way - the arguments are about different people proposing that the town lynch by different sets of "rules" for the game.  A majority needs to come together to get a lynch, which generally means that the majority has to decide by what criteria they're going to lynch.  People must agree on what, not who, is scummy and lynchworthy.  Once you've actually decided on lynch criteria, on WHAT strategy you're going to use, evaluating people by it is generally trivial.  Bing bing bing scummy scummy townie, lynch X, get flip, go on with flip info, etc.

But it's not that simple.  Obviously, town wants to adopt the criteria that will be best at lynching scum.  Scum want town to adopt different criteria and lynch for different reasons, ones that won't lead to them.  So instead of only looking at discrete behaviors, you look at what strategies people are proposing.  Everyone of course has their own personal set that they think is best, they put it out there, everyone else looks at it.  Getting town to adopt the right strategy is vital, so you use logic and experience to evaluate different proposals.  If someone's getting town to adopt a bad strategy, they're probably scum. 

So by playing the strategy level of the game, you can spot scum on discrete behaviors - proposing bad strategies.  This is in general a much more reliable way to spot scum than haphazardly looking at certain behaviors.  Scum can pretty easily avoid most given slipups and subtly control discussions, but what they HAVE to do and CAN'T fake is try to get town to lynch for reasons that won't lead to them.  The game isn't about following The Rules, that certainly would be boring, and that whole side of the game is fraught with inconsistency and trivialities.  What the game IS about is determining what The Rules are, or the best version of them for the situation, and fighting for ideological ground thereof. 

They're two (or more) different levels of looking at stuff, you could say, and they intertwine.  This is why the 'good play crowd' gets so uptight about 'The Rules' and is upset when their strategy is questioned, because if your strategy for finding and lynching scum can be shown to be flawed, that makes you scummy.  It's a very different focus that I tend to assume is obvious, because I'm so used to thinking this way, but I guess should be explained more.

In keeping with this there is no one set of The Rules.  Some things, sure, are constants or nearly always so - Lynch All Liars etc - but the specifics that are best for any given situation are always up for debate, and can change at the drop of a hat. 

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 01:11:39 PM »
Here's yet another way to look at it that I thought of before bed, new posted for convenience and because this is Mafia mwahahahaha.  This one's for the more DL-savvy, apologies to everyone else.

So you have the DL tournament.  People enter, you vote on who would win.  Started out kind of sketchy and informal.  Nowadays?  Stat topics for everything.  People read the stat topics, there are some common interpretations that get discussed around the fire in IRC or the forum, and votes go accordingly.

At first glance, the main site is where all the action goes down - right?  You vote, the season lasts X many weeks, excitement when you check it every week and see if your favorite won!  Your goal is for your main man Dekar to win and others to lose.

But after you've been around the block a couple times - or even before that if you read the stat topics and listen to the vets talk - you come to realize that this isn't really the case.  Clearly, the REAL action all goes down on noms night.  The instant the pools are made, you can look at them, draw upon your knowledge from chat and the stat topics and your personal interpretation (which you've hashed out and had in mind for probably some time now) and tell what's going to happen.  Bing bing bing, Yuna wins Godlike again, easy matches GG.  Oh, sure, you know some matches will be close between the couple of different popular schools of interpretation, but on the whole just follow The Rules and there you go. 

Yawn!  Boring.  You liked it better when there wasn't any of this popular interpretation "rules" stuff.  You don't need The Man gettin you down in chat talkin bout his 2.5 average damage = ko and his no accessories rules.  Heck with that, it's crampin your Dekar style, who even needs the stat topics, you'll just vote for your guy regardless and cheer him on.  It's more fun that way, right?

But suddenly, A TWIST!  Someone tips you off.  There are haters out there.  The Man has taken offense to Dekar being in Godlike and wants him to lose.  You must identify the man, stalk him in real life and hold his rubber ducky hostage until Dekar champs!  Just one problem... how are you gonna find out who The Man is?

So you go around doing your thing, promoting Dekar, preachin the word.  But The Man is sneaky.  Sure he's voting against Dekar, and he's trying to rig the bracket so Dekar faces folks who can beat him.  But the rest of the bruthas are out there too, some of them are voting against Dekar because of their interpretations.  Clearly that is whack!  But are they The Man?  Do you even stand a chance at succeeding to convince people to vote for Dekar because you say so?

How are you gonna find The Man?  Is it that guy who rubs you the wrong way in chat?  Maybe... but probably not, no more likely than anything else.  Maybe you could hang out in IRC and see if someone lets slip a comment about Dekar.  That's gotta mean something, right?  Well, maybe, maybe it doesn't.  Just gonna collect all the rubber duckies from everyone who votes against Dekar?  You ain't got time fo that, man, there's too many of em.

One thing you can do though.  Whoever The Man is, they're talking around the DL and they'll be promoting interpretation stances where Dekar loses, fo sho.  THAT'S how you can find them.  Sure, may be a couple people doing that, sure maybe The Man is hiding, but he can't hide too much. 

So you think you found The Man.  Now how are you gonna convince the bruthas you're right about all this and not some crank?  Answer:  By pointing out how The Man's interpretation is anti-Dekar and providing your own interpretation where Dekar takes his rightful place as Godlike champ.  It's a tough crowd, but if you can back up what you're saying with stat topics, the man who cannot lose will sit atop the DL in no time!

--------

It goes pretty much like that, hopefully the parallels are apparent, though I fudged a bit.  Like the DL, it may seem more fun to just play and do whatever according to your own whims and let others do their thing.  Maybe if you're lucky enough random people will agree and Dekar (town) will win Godlike?  Fat chance, The Man (scum) is against him, and you can't tell how many layers The Man is going through to make sure Dekar doesn't champ.  To make him have any real shot at winning you're going to have to play The Man's game and argue interpretations and rules, complete with delving into stat topics and interp issues (experience, past games, logical reasoning, and grains of salt when appropriate).  It's pointless to try and tell The Man "Hey would you please just stop and let everyone vote their favorites?"  The Man is just going to laugh at that, make a couple of moves behind the scenes, advertise on a couple of GameFAQs boards and easily stop Dekar's run. 

However, in the DL, there's an astonishing amount of wiggle room in common interpretations, and a lot of fun and good thought to be had debating them - even though it may not seem that way at first glance.  Mafia is the same way.  Grappling with "The Rules" and pushing your interpretation out there is a lot more argumentative and requires a lot more work than just doing your thing and letting the game/season flow by.  The similarities are in fact why I thought this would be a nifty place for Mafia in the first place. 

Competitive Mafia to casual role games is like the DL to the RPGP.  It's a lot more complex, has a lot more headaches, and deals with a fair bit of arguing and rules lawyering, but for many people it is also ultimately funner, deeper and more rewarding than a casual setup.  However, in order for it to work, everyone or almost everyone needs to be on the same page - not necessarily have the exact same interpretation, but be voting off of SOME legitimate interpretation, and be willing to explain and defend it.  If some people don't, that causes a lot of headaches for the people who do care about the interps and stat topics, and the stat topicers are going to come out and try to explain their interpretations and why you should vote (preferably the way they do, that'd be great) on SOME legit interp please! 

Sure, for some people the RPGP style is just plain funner and they'll never like the DL's serious business style of voting.  There isn't anything wrong with that.  But there also really anything to say to it except "Maybe the DL's not for you, if you insist on voting that way you might want to check out some of these perfectly fine favorites tourneys, but if you vote in the DL would you please at least know both characters and maybe read a stat topic?" 

There isn't really a The Man around here, the comparison kind of breaks down there, but hopefully some people can understand this long and possibly stupid analogy.  There are more levels of analysis and argumentation than just those two or three, as well, the rabbit hole can go pretty deep depending on just how sneaky people want to be.   

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »
Unrelated to the present direction of conversation, but I figured this was the place to float the question: how do people feel about FE Mafia not having deadlines now that the game is over?

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 04:37:22 PM »
AH, yes. Thanks Cid, I meant to bring that up myself and forgot to in my busyness yesterday.

Personally, as a mod, I enjoyed the more relaxed pacing, and would probably be able to actually play in games that moved about that fast. *My* main block to playing mafia is the simple time thing. The average game here moves too fast for me to casually play, I have to devote waaaaay more time then I want to to keep up, etc.

If other folks liked the pace, perhaps we could try that with other games and see where it goes from there? Like I said in the opening post of FE, if folks don't want the game to drag out like mafiascum.net, well, the power is in the hands of the players to not let it.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 06:57:47 PM »
My thoughts?

I know I'm going to sound like a pansy afterschool special, but what's the most important aspect of a game, at least, one played out of pure leisure?  Having Fun of course.  Whether you win, lose, etc., if there's nothing to gain/lose, the end result is the same.  Just whether you feel good about yourself, bragging rights, etc. vary based on whether you win or lose.

So here in lies the issue.  People play Mafia games to have fun, is my guess.  If they didn't, why the hell would people play them?  Surely, we get enough random arguments over the DL Here.  Surely we get enough sniping at each other in random ways in chat.  Fact is, Mafia is a game, through and through; if you aren't having fun, you won't play it.  By spoiling the fun of others, its going to stop people from playing it.

Yes, you play to win...but that's actually a secondary addendum, despite how it sounds.  The INITIAL reason to play is to have fun; once you've started, your goal is to win.  Truth be told, though? I prefer to lose and have fun than win and be frustrated.

A parallel would be through Video Games.  What's better to you?
An Easy game that you're bored with, and you beat quickly?
Or a challenging game that kicks your ass time and time again, but through this aspect of losing, you're having fun figuring out what to do?
(Want realistic examples? Cliche one used in chat, but Devil May Cry 2 vs. Devil May Cry 3; the former is dead easy and kind of boring, the latter kicks your ass, but generally agreed to be quite fun.)

So to branch off that, what was a better Mafia game?
One where everyone is frustrated and you win from whatever reason.
Or one where everyone is having fun, where everyone is generally enjoying the arguments, and such, and you still lose?

The answer seems obvious to me; I know I'd definitely play the latter.

Another problem is HOW people are aggressive.  I know in FE Mafia, people were yelling at me for my large posts.  Um, ok, have you ever checked my posts in the past, in Non Mafia situations?  That's gotta be the ultimate cheap shot.  People take stuff like that personally; you call people out on how they are AS PEOPLE, not how they are AS PLAYERS.  You're trying to force people to change themselves overnight for the sake of playing a game.  No, I doubt Ciato can suddenly start attacking people cause, her general nature, she's nice and tends to hang back.  Similarly, someone who is aggressive by nature is expected to be like that, and shouldn't be called on it.

HOWEVER, expecting people to act like you is probably the worst way to go about things.  IT makes yourself look like an elitist, shows little tolerance for others, is not being realistic...I could go on.  By saying "we must be aggressive!" you're saying "You must play like me!"

No, that's not true.  As someone noted, Rat's a good player, but he's not aggressive either.  He's the counterproof to "You must be aggressive."  Constant Aggression gets nowhere if its of a particular style.  Like I said, pressuring people for PLAYSTYLES is absolutely not cool; its like saying "I prefer Mages in FFT" "No, use Fighters! They're better, moron!"  Extreme example? Yes, but you can see where I'm going.

The point is, a lot of the "serious" players are spoiling the fun for others by being aggressive and harping on them for not being aggressive.  Be aggressive, but don't start yelling at them for any little thing they do.  While you say "BUT THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO DO!" in Mafia...

No, that's actually not it.  Going after people for OMG THEY DID THIS LITTLE MINOR THING!!! as we've seen in the past leads to more disaster, and is a total gamble.  An example is when people were going after my head in Clue Mafia for misreading something, which was by all means an honest, simple, *HUMAN* mistake.  Its cause people couldn't let this go, along with other minor things ("He's me-tooing!" "No, he's just being meeple" "SAME THING! SCUM!") that people pretty much ignored everything and went after one person (me) and made it less fun.

Its like I said once before; trying to pick apart anything and finding meaning in it can *ALWAYS* work in the sense that you can always find *SOMETHING* since when it comes to words and writing, if you look hard enough, you WILL find it.  Its for this reason that being aggressive and going after any small detail in such harshness which I've seen in the past doesn't help, spoils the fun, and generally hurts the overall experience.

Now you can say "Don't take this personally"...but again, PEOPLE ARE HUMAN.  This is a lot of what people forget in Mafia; humans make mistakes, people get frustrated, especially when several people are sniping at them, being aggressive, and such.  They *WILL* crack, do something bad, what have you.  This is not Mafia, this is just being a a general jerk.  No, you can't be a jerk in Mafia; there is never an excuse to being a jerk.  You can accomplish a lot of the same things while not being a jerk.  Face it; the term "jerk" is negative, and never good thing.  Also, those who are aggressive tend to lend themselves more to poor sportsmanship.  Many people fall under the "bah, if you listened to me you would have won!"  thing.  No, that's something you shouldn't have said.  As is explaining why you won and how people fell for your trap.  That's just gloating.  One thing that's often encouraged is good sportsmanship, something that being a jerk goes against completely.  Being mean, trashing people, yelling at them, etc. is not good Sportsmanship.  That's like saying if you're hit with a baseball by the pitcher, you're suppose to charge them, beat the stuffing out of them cause you know they did that on purpose!

I've said my part.  The end result is by, like CK said, "playing to force people to crack is the only good way to play" is ruining the fun of a majority of players here.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »
I have one single line to disagree with in Meep's post:

As is explaining why you won and how people fell for your trap.  That's just gloating

No, so long as you aren't going "haha you all suck" when you explain it, this isn't gloating. this is explainging your winning strategy to people so they'll catch it next time and generally learn one more strategy for the game. Explaining how your strategy worked after it's all done is a GOOD THING, and I cannot fathom simply dismissing that as gloating.

Again, so long as they aren't being arrogant about it, and just explaning. But that goes for nearly anything.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »
Some really short thoughts I've had while reading this post, just to drop before I head to work:

1. It's possible to play aggressively without being an asshole.

2. It's possible to effectively get attention without being sensationalist. (Well, I know other people are capable of it -- I'm more the poster child for the "Hey! Someone pay attention to me!" <someone says what I just said and gets praised for it> movement.) More on this below.

3. Mafia is a game. If I had to play Scrabble with people who use some of the "winning techniques" and bulldogging I've seen here, I think I'd stab someone in the eye with a wooden tile. It's one thing to want to win, it's quite another to go "all means necessary" on it. Both play styles are valid and have their places, but you'll find that the two don't always play nicely together. The people for whom winning is everything are really going to hate people like Meeple (and myself) who would rather enjoy the puzzle and lose than do everything necessary to win. The people for whom playing the game is everything are going to get really tired of the pushing and shoving of the Xtreme Playerz.

4. The lack of deadlines is a very nice thing in theory. I know things come up in RL for people, and strictly adhering to a X hour deadline leaves people with crazy lives unable to contribute much. It causes modkills and false scum-trails and it generally sucks to have to pick a lynch NOW because deadline is in 2 minutes and you don't want to lose the chance at killing scum. However, it leaves far too much room for people to hang back and do nothing. Without the pressure of deadline, it can be all too easy to put Mafia on the backburner and decide "hey, I want to play some Guitar Hero tonight, my Mafia post can wait" which accomplishes the same thing RL craziness does in false scum-trails. My solution would simply be longer days -- 72 hour /normal/ days, 96 hour day 1, that sort of thing. Sounds unappealing, though, I know.

5. People need thick skin to play this game, yes. Expecting people to react rationally to "oh my god can you suck any more?" type comments is irrational. No one ever says this directly, this is true. Kudos to you for being a stealthy asshole instead of an unabashedly public one. Alex's "preferred method" of getting attention for what he has to say -- "X is a horrible idea that kicks town in the groin and that makes your role scum groinkicker" -- falls near the bad end of the spectrum. This is basically a verbal form of the idea that if you beat someone enough, they won't do the thing that they associate as having caused the beating. Do I need to draw that out?
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 10:20:50 PM »
But hey, maybe I'm alone in all that.

You're not.

I think it just comes down to how much you want to play and are willing to compromise.  I mean, being aggro just isn't something I can do.  I can be bitchy, sure, but intentionally grill someone and go for a jugular in a game?  No.  It isn't such a problem for me, I know, because I can still bring out the popcorn and watch these games on this board for the drama and the explosive outbursts and then turn around and actually play here at work.  A calm, analytical and slower paced style can work just fine so long as that is how everyone plays.  In the 27 games I've read here at work (and played in 2), that's been the case for every one.  And scum have won a whopping 4 times in all of them (C9 for the lot). 

I may disagree with Alex that if you are not fiercely aggresive that you're not playing the game 'right', but I do agree very strongly with him on one thing he has said.  He plays a way, and thinks it's the right way to play, so others should play that way as well. I agree because after watching games on this board and then playing them here at work, it's obvious to me that differing playstyles do NOT work well together.  For example, if someone is aggresive and fierce and posts like a crazed ferret on speed (and let's be honest, a lot of people here post like a crazed ferret with ADHD, a speed addiction and one who has had nothing but caffeine for the last two days straight, mind you), playing opposite someone like me who is more slow paced and longer winded is not going to do anything but set both sides up for trouble.  A stance that people need to play the same way is not really wrong.  But I don't believe that means everyone has to play The One True Way.  I believe it just means you should stick to gaming with people whose styles match your own.  You get enjoyment out of it that way that you wouldn't if you're having to deal with the drama that isn't really about the case at hand so much as it is about playstyles.

Just my two cents.  For whatever that might be worth. :)
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 11:52:15 PM »
I think Meeple really illustrates the difference in mindsets here.  When he laid out his comparisons, I was all "Yeah, yeah, right on!  Definitely DMC3, the challenge is where the fun is!"  and then he comes out with the totally opposite answer.  For me, there is no fun unless I'm playing to win.  I don't need to actually win, I'll be just as satisfied if the other team wins with an awesome strategy, but the instant the line is crossed from "I'm playing the best way" to "I don't care about the best way, I'm playing in a way that I arbitrarily define to be 'fun'," all interest for me is lost.  I feel like that isn't even playing Mafia anymore, it's playing "Let's be friends and try to keep person X happy."  (Applies to any game, not just Mafia.  "Hey guys, don't tackle hard in football, you might hurt the other guy's feelings" -> what the heck, why are you even playing?)

I partially agree with QR, but I think what she said applies more to mindsets than playstyle.  If you have a bunch of people who are playing to win and a bunch of people who don't care about playing to win and will just do whatever they think is fun, they are not going to get along.  Playing to win with different ways of going about it, though, is perfectly fine and I'd even say helpful.  I've got no problems with, say, QR's style of posting. 

Edit since I was dumb and forgot:  The no deadlines thing worked fine in FE.  Day 1 was a bit overly long, but partially because some people (myself included) were no-shows for a while.  The remaining days town actually got stuff together and lynched pretty fast.  I'm not sure if it would work consistently, but it worked here and was good.

Also to LadyDoor:  "This is basically a verbal form of the idea that if you beat someone enough, they won't do the thing that they associate as having caused the beating. Do I need to draw that out?"

I agree with both that comparison, and the statement made in the comparison.  Spank your kids when they shoplift, folks. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 11:56:39 PM by Sir Alex »

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 08:21:37 AM »
Wait what, Otter's allowed to post in a thread about civility?

Mainly wanted to address Meep's post.  Because I like chess, I'm going to use that as an example.  Let's look at a couple guys who like to play chess.

Billy thinks it's neat and likes to play, without really worrying about actually winning or trying too hard because that'd just be too much stress for a game that's supposed to be fun (it's a game after all, right?).  He makes moves for whimsical reasons, citing "instinct" and gut feeling, and if he happens to lose then he just figures it wasn't his lucky day and doesn't worry about it.

Bob likes to play too, but actually derives a lot of the pleasure from his struggle to win; in competitive matches, he reliably makes moves that he thinks will help him win, and if they turn out badly then he will remember that failure and actively avoid repeating it.  Typically, he will be completely satisfied with a match that he's lost, because it's easier to learn from a player who's better than you.  Although all his focus is on playing to win, actual victories aren't important in and of themselves; Bob could play against a bunch of ten-year-olds and rack up wins if he wanted, but there wouldn't be any point.  He's not playing for wins, he's playing to win, and that means seeking stronger opponents and, yes, mixing up his strategies in search of new combinations so he won't end up pigeon-holing himself into one game plan.

Eventually, Bob's going to have worked out a fairly complex system in his mind governing his behavior in a given game.  He will have a general idea of how to act in reaction to another player's moves.  He knows that some things just never work, and he avoids these.  If he plays against Billy repeatedly, and Billy keeps leaving his queen-bishop pawn open to Bob's knight sometime in the midgame, Bob's going to keep taking the pawn and forcing a fork that will eliminate Billy's rook and give Bob a significant advantage in the game, which Billy will often find insurmountable.

Billy will start to notice that Bob's strategy seems pretty consistent, and he's got two choices: start playing more like Bob's playing and actually learn not to repeat previous mistakes in an effort to improve his game, or decide that that's too much of a hassle and Bob's just being a dick for playing the same boring way every time.  If he goes with the former, he could start playing at Bob's level fairly quickly and learn to adapt to a game that will soon be changing with each match, as the players adapt to each other's usual strategies and are consequently forced to experiment even more.  If he doesn't feel like trying that hard and just wants to keep playing as he's been playing, he's going to keep losing and Bob will probably not be too interested in playing with him anymore.

Unless Bob doesn't have any other friends.

Then it gets ugly and I hope it's clear enough why.  In a game like Mafia, where you need a whole gaggle of people to play, you are going to run sharply into the fact that one set of players is actually playing a completely different game from the rest, and the basic response of "Well, they should go find others of their kind to play with" doesn't work here because there aren't any more.  I mean, you could hit up some other online community, but frankly that's a doomed endeavor from the start for reasons I don't have to get into.

Is Mafia exactly like chess?  No, it's got the luck element (and luck factors in even more heavily, to the point of dominating the game actually, when most players are of the casual variety, and particularly in role-heavy setups; see FFT), and that means the players actually paying attention to game theory and maximizing their chances of winning (winning the game they were under the impression they were playing, that is) aren't anywhere near guaranteed to get affirming results from their effort.  Moreover, it's got the social element, and it's not all that surprising to see that casual players are going to get ticked off at rambling competitive players throwing their damn rules at them all the time.

Quote from: Soppy
My problem with the whole "playing the game the right way" thing isn't so much that it's a bad philosophy. Good play is always better than bad. However, people seem to use it as a shield for when they make bad moves. "Well, I was completely, one hundred percent wrong, but it's not my fault because it followed good play! In fact, I'm actually right in this situation and YOU'RE wrong because (etc)"

Bullshit. Patting yourself on the back for good play when you make a mistake, using it as a blanket for your failure is pitiful. I don't even really mean common, understandable mistakes. There are egregious, stupid mistakes that can be made and covered for under the good play safety net.

Actually, the player here is probably trying to justify his earlier decision in an effort not to get lynched.  Let's say he contributed to a lynch train that turned out to be on a townie; this player wants to show exactly what his reasons were for being a part of that, because it's his assumption that he's going to fall under heavy suspicion and wants to preempt that.  It only makes sense, to him, that the players who presented legitimate, pro-townie reasons for acting the way they did should fall under less suspicion than those who didn't provide any such reasoning; if a player had just pitched in a vote "on gut instinct," well, that's looking pretty shady once the flip's up.  Right?

The casual player's response?  "Bullshit!  You screwed up and now you won't even admit it!"  So what can our player do now?  Apparently, actually justifying a vote with a reason that makes sense to you is perceived as "covering up" for your mistake.  Now you're gonna get lynched and the people who didn't speak up are gonna be fine!  I understand this mentality, too, because it's hard to respect a system of game theory that never seems to produce good results (since, y'know, the games actually played in the vicinity are all way too random and casual for these results to start manifesting) and besides, these guys who proclaim that they adhere to this playing-to-win competitive mentality start looking a whole lot like... an empowered minority.  Which is exactly what town's trying to hunt.  This emotional reaction happened to me all the time when I played, I got suspicious of Alex constantly just because I knew he probably understood the game better than I did.  That fact alone made him automatically unpredictable and untrustworthy.  Was this rational?  Hell no, but it was unavoidable when I was playing in a game with a bunch of people who weren't really playing too seriously and then Alex.

So, no, Mafia's not like chess, and a casual culture often means that anyone playing competitively could be at a disadvantage depending on the whimsy of the crowd.  Or he could pull out a win, instead -- for no particularly good reason.  Somebody playing to win isn't going to find this satisfying at all, and without a larger pool of like-minded individuals to play with, he hasn't got a lot of recourse.  He wants to play that hardcore Mafia game, with people relying on the tried-and-true methods for victory and acknowledging the legitimacy of his thought processes when he invokes one of these policies.  As for the rest, they're having fun playing a game that basically resembles a chatroom filled with random insanity-chatter and Hatbot rolls.  It's not too far from text-based Mario Party.  If it's fun, make no mistake, nobody wants you to stop having fun.  Fun is great.  People get it from different things, though, and personally I can't stand Mario Party.

This got super long and I don't know why.  tl;dr: different people get their enjoyment out of the "game experience" through different approaches to the game, and it is pretty silly to keep butting heads and insisting that you are right.  "You're not even really playing the game at all" vs. "Yeah well at least I'm having fun" isn't going to get anyone anywhere, because the casual players are having fun with the game they've chosen to play, and the competitive players arealso having fun playing to win.  I think it's lame to see one game try to be two games at once and cause frustration on both sides, over and over.  I don't really have any solution, I will just close by saying you should try your best not to take personal offense at anything somebody says in a social game.  I can almost guarantee you that they didn't actually mean anything by it outside of that contrived context.  Also, more people need to play me in chess, it's awesome and doesn't have these problems.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 08:53:46 AM »
Otter, you've managed to sum up a large portion of why those of us who don't share your hyper aggressive view point have issues with that view.  As you put it, it's Playing to Win vs. Playing for Fun.  Honestly, as much as this is a useful description to use to specify the creed of the two camps, it's also misleading.

We all play to win, and we all play to have fun.  I don't think there's any difference there.  It's just that for some of us, having fun in this game means behaving in a way that others don't find to be fun.  And, honestly, while I know for some the issue is the aggression and tactics you use, I find it to be the attitude that you bring to the game that raises the most issues.  And it is an attitude that you showed in your most recent post.  It's that we must either play the game the way you do, without going through our own learning phase and finding what works best here or even with any great tutilage of why things work the way you say they do, or else we're not actually playing to win and we are, by default, either bad town or scum.  And this is often paired with either abuse, or a superior attitude as though we are lesser players for not devoting ourselves to the proper scum hunting attitude.

More over, this also assumes that we all think in the same way.  That we can all obsess over details the way Alex or Rat can.  I know I certainly cannot.  I lose details easily in my train of thought, and am far better looking at the larger picture which takes some time to come into focus.  And, it was that detail oriented, nit-picking, attack until they or someone else breaks mentality that tends to combine to both make the position both stressful and condescending.

That said, I do enjoy listening to the deconstruction of the views held by Alex when he reflects upon them, and then attempts to explain the whys while at the same time avoiding confrontation.  And, I actually like the explaination he's given in this thread.

PS: Otter, I don't think I'll ever take you up on that offer.  My tactical game is good, and I play a good game of speed chess (or used to at least, it's been ages since I played Chess last).  But I am far too intellectually lazy to bother thinking more than a move or two ahead, and as such will never be more than a middling player.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 08:55:21 AM by Excal »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »
Well, so far all I've talked about in here is the game from a townie's perspective.  What complicates things, which I think I may not have explained enough, is that you're not a townie all the time...

For townies, you can definitely argue that aggression and pressing people is not a good style, that it'll produce more mislynches in the end and be ineffective.  This I can understand and listen to, absolutely - I'm not convinced it's true myself, but there's certainly a fair amount of evidence pointing that way.  But what about when you draw scum?  Here I'm not so sure at all that this is arguable.

The scum's job description, in a nutshell, is to find any and all weaknesses in the logical and social games of townies and exploit them.  This isn't just the best strategy for them, this is THE strategy, explicitly what the scum side is trying to do in the game.  Even just hiding passively is exploiting a town  game weakness.  (In this case it's preying on a town's reluctance to LAL and be aggressive - which could be very effective in certain towns here, indeed!)  Trying to tell scum not to do this is ridiculous or impossible.  While a townie can say "I have fun just playing and analyzing things on my own, I don't care about any set strategies" a scum literally cannot do this, because they have such a big informational edge and out of thread communication.  They already know who's on what side, there's nothing left for them to do in the game BUT maneuver around town and manipulate lynches. 

Not only that, the most exploitable town tendencies will jump out at scum and be very obvious.  There isn't a question of individual ability here, since the scum team can talk and plan and therefore have communal intelligence.   If a general town or specific townie is vulnerable to something, scum will see it, nearly guaranteed, and asking them to hold their fire is just absurd to me because they have nothing else to do in the game.  Scum also can control how they do it and how sneaky they are about it, effectively they set the mental level of the game and determine how far town must go to counter them. 

"Breaking" townies, for example, is not a good thing for other townies to do, but it is an awesome and obviously most beneficial thing for scum to do - not only are you removing one townie's ability to think rationally, you're drawing the rest of the town towards lynching them.  And furthermore the answer to this isn't as simple as "Lynch anyone who's breaking a townie," because scum can be very indirect indeed about how they go about it.  For an example, see Clue Mafia, where Rat and I as scum manipulated QR's "Lynch Alex for being too aggressive" mindset (among other people and things) to win the game.  Or see Phoenix Wright Mafia, where I as scum attempted to break Andrew with a fake roleclaim, and town had to determine that I was lying about my claim rather than being able to attack me just for putting Andy off balance.  (Scum didn't win that game, but came much closer than we should have and would have had I not done that.)  See many games where the scum poke Tom lightly and watch the fireworks.  (No offense to him - or anyone mentioned here - intended.  I actually enjoy playing with Tom since he's trying and putting forth a good effort.)

Scum play dirty.  Their goal is to find your weaknesses and prey on them.  Telling them not to is not gonna work - the game breaks down if they don't.   This is the real reason why you've got to have some thick skin as a townie, to be able to close off these routes of attack for scum. 

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 07:24:43 AM »
I may be the only person that thinks this, but I believe that games with the culture clash are, ironically, the most "entertaining". A group of 100% casuals would likely take a long time before it got anywhere. A group of 100% aggressives has a better chance of accomplishing something, but if everyone is sufficiently thick-skinned, that immediately eliminates all scum townie-breaking strategies, and on the whole there's going to be more agreement than normal, making it harder to find/poke holes in strategies.

But I've been known to be wrong.

Anyway, this thread has reminded me of why I gave this game up, so I don't have much else to contribute on the playstyles issue, aside from pointing out to both sides (as I think Otter touched on) that, given the dwindling population of players DL seems to have, they might want to start taking the risk of driving other people off into consideration, because if it happens enough then there won't be any game at all, and I'm pretty sure no one will find that fun.

I have one single line to disagree with in Meep's post:

As is explaining why you won and how people fell for your trap.  That's just gloating

No, so long as you aren't going "haha you all suck" when you explain it, this isn't gloating. this is explainging your winning strategy to people so they'll catch it next time and generally learn one more strategy for the game. Explaining how your strategy worked after it's all done is a GOOD THING, and I cannot fathom simply dismissing that as gloating.

Again, so long as they aren't being arrogant about it, and just explaning. But that goes for nearly anything.

Actually, I can see where Meeple is coming from here. Assuming that the victor doing the explaining is one of the "aggressive play-to-win" people or whatever the current label is, explaining their strategy flies directly in the face of the Play to Win philosophy (for reasons very similar to those of the good magicians that never reveal their secrets). If your opponents don't know how exactly you went about winning, then there's at least a decent chance you can use that strategy again, and potentially multiple times until people finally start picking up on it. Granted, it's not a sure thing, but telling everyone exactly what you were doing practically guarantees that you won't be able to pull it off again. Some chance is better than no chance, so there must be another reason stronger than the Play to Win philosophy that people have to revealing their strategies.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 07:36:05 AM »
Telling everyone exactly what you were doing practically guarantees that you won't be able to pull it off again. Some chance is better than no chance, so there must be another reason stronger than the Play to Win philosophy that people have to revealing their strategies.

... they might want to start taking the risk of driving other people off into consideration, because if it happens enough then there won't be any game at all, and I'm pretty sure no one will find that fun.

Answered your own question there.  At least when I'm explaining stuff I'm doing it so that others can learn and hopefully have more fun in future games with more knowledge. 

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 09:47:23 AM »
Honestly, Alex.  I know that I cannot berate the scum too much for deciding to use aggression.  After all, their goal is to knock us off balance, and I find that it is a wonderful tool to use to catch scum when they use targetted aggression as part of a ploy to get someone lynched.

That is why I rail against it being considered part of the arsenal of any town aligned player (Because it hinders town's cause and only helps the scum) and consider it a votable offense.  Your milage may vary, but I do believe that civil and polite discourse is town's best friend, especially since it does not preclude making points, or demanding answers.