Author Topic: Tourney of Interest Season 10?! Week 3  (Read 2903 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tourney of Interest Season 10?! Week 3
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:01:32 AM »
Buffacow- iiii v Citan- iii
Repede- vi v Magus-
Emil v Lenneth- ii
Ruprecht- ii v Epsilon- iii

Ragnar- viiii v Worker- ii
Elincia- vi v Ephraim- vii
Nell- iiii v Hilda
Selen- v v Jude

Chloe- vi v Lemina- i
Liese- iii v Mog
Prier- viiii v Etna- i
Mao v Bowser- ii

Allen- iii v BW- vi
Gordin- i v Wil- iiii
Raspberyl- i v Nikki- i(Monkey-bot)
Regigigas- i v Chuck- vii

Godlike

Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Arceus (Pokémon)
Mimi the Wonder Baker (Tales of Legendia) vs Medic (Etrian Odyssey)
Buffacow 9th (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Repede (Tales of Vesperia)
Lenneth Valkryie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Epsilon (Mega Man X: Command Mission)

Heavy

Master Monk (Final Fantasy Tactics A2) vs Protector (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard)
Geddoe (Suikoden III) vs Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia)
Ragnar Blitz Lebrett (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)
Nell Ellis (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm) vs Selen (Suikoden Tierkreis)

Middle

Oswin (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Gillian Clout (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island)
Mistral (.hack Series) vs Andarc (Suikoden Tactics)
Chloe Hartzog (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Liese Randel (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island)
Prier (La Pucelle: Tactics) vs Bowser Koopa (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Norma Beatty (Tales of Legendia)
Jeanne (Jeanne D'Arc) vs Thomas (Suikoden III)
Black Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Wil (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)
Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) vs Chuck Preston (Wild ARMs 5)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney of Interest Season 10?! Week 3
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:06:47 AM »
Lenneth Valkryie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Epsilon (Mega Man X: Command Mission)

Luke beats Rita
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:09:29 AM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Taishyr

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
Godlike

Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Arceus (Pokémon) - I think.

Heavy

Master Monk (Final Fantasy Tactics A2)
vs Protector (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard)
Ragnar Blitz Lebrett (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) - Pretty sure Ragnar can take this?

Light

Black Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Wil (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Kneejerk.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:37:50 AM by Taitoro »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:16:53 AM »
Master Monk (Final Fantasy Tactics A2) vs Protector (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard) - Um.

Oswin (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Gillian Clout (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island) - Doubles and avoids counters.

Black Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Wil (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - BW needs to go first and land status on turn 2.  Think he can do the latter but not the former.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 02:24:55 AM »
Godlike

Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Arceus (Pokémon): Astral wins. Poison + Soul Rend owns Arceus's stalling tricks and he doesn't have safeguard to stop it.
Lenneth Valkryie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Epsilon (Mega Man X: Command Mission): Aw, HELL.
Middle

Prier (La Pucelle: Tactics) vs Bowser Koopa (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars): Terrorize then 2HKO, I think. Prier gets the equivalent of 2 attacks and it's rare that a middle can 2HKO him.

Light

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:44:18 AM by Monkeyfinger »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:58:09 AM »
Godlike

Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Arceus (Pokémon) - Was Soul Rend and/or the status MT?  It may not need to be, actually.
Mimi the Wonder Baker (Tales of Legendia) vs Medic (Etrian Odyssey)
Buffacow 9th (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Repede (Tales of Vesperia) - Invincibility bullshit.
Lenneth Valkryie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Epsilon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - I think Lenneth had revival?  If not, Epsilon might take this.

Heavy

Master Monk (Final Fantasy Tactics A2) vs Protector (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard)
Geddoe (Suikoden III) vs Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) - Kneejerk but this seems close.
Ragnar Blitz Lebrett (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) - Probably.
Nell Ellis (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm) vs Selen (Suikoden Tierkreis) - ID

Middle

Oswin (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Gillian Clout (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island) - 2HKOs and tanks two Gillian turns.
Mistral (.hack Series) vs Andarc (Suikoden Tactics) - Status of some sort.
Chloe Hartzog (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Liese Randel (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island) - Liese is ridiculously tanky to magic.  She goes first and 2HKOs while Chloe only 3HKOs back.
Prier (La Pucelle: Tactics) vs Bowser Koopa (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) - Fear.

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Norma Beatty (Tales of Legendia) - not thinking
Black Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Wil (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - not thinking
Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) vs Chuck Preston (Wild ARMs 5) - not thinking

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:01:33 AM »
Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Arceus (Pokémon) - Was Soul Rend and/or the status MT?  It may not need to be, actually.

Soul rend is.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:04:49 AM »
Lenneth Valkryie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Epsilon (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - I think Lenneth had revival?  If not, Epsilon might take this.

She does have revival.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 04:06:55 AM »
Godlike

Buffacow 9th (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Repede (Tales of Vesperia)

Heavy

Geddoe (Suikoden III) vs Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) - I think Rita's first-turn damage is better than Geddoe's. If she misses the OHKO though, this is Geddoe's match. She has some anti-magic tricks IIRC.
Nell Ellis (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm) vs Selen (Suikoden Tierkreis) - I hope Nell wins so that I can vote on her in the next match.

Middle

Mistral (.hack Series) vs Andarc (Suikoden Tactics) - leaning Andarc, but I don't remember .hack nearly enough to vote legitimately here.
Chloe Hartzog (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Liese Randel (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island) - Gust Deathmatch!
Prier (La Pucelle: Tactics) vs Bowser Koopa (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) - Prier's damage is quite good for middle. Counters seal it for me.

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Norma Beatty (Tales of Legendia) - Even holding them to turn-based so that Norma has a chance, Luke heal-locks her until a Mystic Arte.
Jeanne (Jeanne D'Arc) vs Thomas (Suikoden III) - How sad. This would probably have been Jeanne's match if I didn't just recently discover that Thomas is amazing with Wind Runes. Sleep or ID will get Jeanne before she can transform. If Thomas doesn't have a Wind Rune to you, then she probably just KOs him with counters before he can kill. His evade is good to stall things out longer, but Jeanne's evade is also pretty good and counters ensure that she's getting more hits in than him. And if he stalls too long (turn 3), she does her Pretty Soldier Sailor Christianity thing and gets that nice damage/stat boost.
Black Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Wil (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - ID, sure.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:52:19 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:13:02 PM »
Ephraim

Black Wizard
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 01:16:14 AM »
Godlike

Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Arceus (Pokémon): Too lazy to really think this one through, but Fou-Lu has been given an argument, Arceus has not been. Booo someone threatening to win without getting a single argument for winning.
Lenneth Valkryie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Epsilon (Mega Man X: Command Mission): Doubleturns her before she kills him in VP2. VP1 I don't vote on, and... VP1 may win? Depends how you scale that form-shifting. It's no different from Jenna's, not sure how I deal with that these days.

Heavy

Ragnar Blitz Lebrett (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones): On second thought, lower equipment levels means Eph has the hit and evade to win this. Which is good because he's 10x better in-game.

Light

Black Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Wil (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): Goes first (Wil is a non-cavalier/flier), turn 2 Break.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:00:41 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 01:31:58 AM »
Black Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Wil (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): Goes first (Wil is a non-cavalier/flier), turn 2 Break.

I'm a little put off by this. Mages and Archers have the same Move in FE (5), as do Sages and Snipers, I believe (6). Letting Black Wizard go first just because Wil isn't a cavalier or a flier seems wrong. I mean, SRPGs are awkward to judge in terms of who goes first, I'll give you that much. I just don't find, in this scenario, that it gives BW a fair advantage to have first turn. Doesn't help that BW is average speed at best, and can arguably be considered slower anyways.

Just throwin' my two cents in.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:36:35 AM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 01:35:37 AM »
Oswin (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Gillian Clout (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island) - Oswin is too physically tanky, and Gillian's magic damage is way too bad.

Black Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Wil (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - DoS BW status is uniformly worse, and speed actually matters so BW is going last. That should be enough in this scrub-off.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 12:28:20 AM »

I'm a little put off by this. Mages and Archers have the same Move in FE (5), as do Sages and Snipers, I believe (6). Letting Black Wizard go first just because Wil isn't a cavalier or a flier seems wrong. I mean, SRPGs are awkward to judge in terms of who goes first, I'll give you that much. I just don't find, in this scenario, that it gives BW a fair advantage to have first turn. Doesn't help that BW is average speed at best, and can arguably be considered slower anyways.

Just throwin' my two cents in.

Black Wizard is average speed (in FF1o. See hinode's comments on DoS obviously).

In FE, the only way to determine who goes first is movement. It's a bit of a shaky argument, but it works for tiebreaks.

There are a lot more PCs with move greater than 6 (5 Paladins, 5 fliers) than there are PCs with less than 6 (2 Generals) and the ones with more than 6 are further from the average, so obviously, average move in FE7 is something greater than 6. Thus Wil is below average move. Thus he loses an initiative tiebreak. Seems entirely fair to me. Why would Wil go first?

EDIT: Actually, I've yet to see a single argument in this topic for why non-DoS Black Wizard loses. And I'm not used to being one of the minority voters for Fire Emblem. So this is kinda frustrating!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:30:24 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 01:29:53 AM »
In FE, the only way to determine who goes first is movement. It's a bit of a shaky argument, but it works for tiebreaks.

Well, conceivably you could use AS to determine who goes first, sort of like how FE colliseum battles. And... I have to admit, a colliseum battle seems pretty similar to a DL arena to me. Although, I personally don't see it this way and I'm 100% with you on the Wil=below average initiative speed due to MOV.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 01:41:36 AM »
Well, conceivably you could use AS to determine who goes first, sort of like how FE colliseum battles.

I thought the PC always went first in FE arena battles. I don't use the arena much though, so I could be wrong easily!

That said, Wil is below average speed, too.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 02:09:01 AM »
Nah, in FE7, the PC always goes first in the arena. That particular initiative mechanic is specific to FE4. I personally only use AS as a Minerva tiebreaker (i.e. if movement+range doesn't break the tie either way, AS applies), and only because of that precedent - although I logically should not.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 03:45:56 AM »
*shrugs* People use Disgaea SPD as a tie-breaker even when it has nothing to do with turn order.

My point is that it's a theoretical way to break ties apart from Mov.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 03:47:10 AM »
I disagree with that too, but again, this is getting away from the point of this topic. <_< It doesn't matter here!

Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 02:20:17 AM »
Godlike

Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Arceus (Pokémon): No Arceus for me.
Mimi the Wonder Baker (Tales of Legendia) vs Medic (Etrian Odyssey): I could vote if this was EO2 Medic!!!!! (that would be an easy match to call)
Buffacow 9th (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Repede (Tales of Vesperia): Repede is obnoxiously good at what he does.
Lenneth Valkryie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Epsilon (Mega Man X: Command Mission): No Epsilon yet.

Heavy

Master Monk (Final Fantasy Tactics A2) vs Protector (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard): No Master Monk and didn't use Protector.
Geddoe (Suikoden III) vs Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia): Magic immunity. Might be 2HKO'd but eh, I'm more inclined to consider the fire spammage.
Ragnar Blitz Lebrett (Wild ARMs XF) vs Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones): Ragnar is Heavy based solely on his ability to take down foes like Eph.
Nell Ellis (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm) vs Selen (Suikoden Tierkreis): No Tierkreis.

Middle

Oswin (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Gillian Clout (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island): No Atelier LaZy
Mistral (.hack Series) vs Andarc (Suikoden Tactics): Mmm. Not sure here. Andarc + Panels = really good, but I don't remember Mistral's actual battle abilities.
Chloe Hartzog (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Liese Randel (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island): No Annie.
Prier (La Pucelle: Tactics) vs Bowser Koopa (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars): TERRORIZE

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Norma Beatty (Tales of Legendia): Norma wanted full healing instead of MT for the DL.
Jeanne (Jeanne D'Arc) vs Thomas (Suikoden III): Well uh..... Yeah just going to go this way and not think. Spoils evadable physicals a little independent of accuracy and can full-heal/do good damage in armlet form. Might live long enough to access one of the non-3 turn forms, which would be a clean win. So much for not thinking. Bah.
Black Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Wil (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): General Pyro philosophy: if NEB votes against FE, Pyro is voting against FE. Guy knows his stat numbers!
Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) vs Chuck Preston (Wild ARMs 5): No Disgaea 3.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 04:29:34 AM »
Heavy

Middle

Mistral (.hack Series) vs Andarc (Suikoden Tactics)- Can easily stonewall Andarc's offense via equips as well as hit weakness.

Light

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 04:33:58 AM »
Well, might as well vote on the few matches I can. ;p

Prier (La Pucelle: Tactics) vs Bowser Koopa (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)

Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 07:17:07 PM »
Godlike

Fou-Lu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Arceus (Pokémon)- Hum.  Ghost negates the physical, Sanctuary prevents buffing, but the spells fall to a 3HKO against Arceus durability, meaning Recover still works.  Supposing Arceus 6HKOs (Fou-Lu being 3x PC), Arceus gets one opening shot, and one "I just ran out of Recover and die next turn" desperation attack, meaning it needs 4 doubles in 10 Fou turns.  Hm.  115 agility to 128 average for Fou, Arceus is 140 to 98... hum.  You'd have to take it literally for that to work.  I'm... inclined to for Pokemon though.  So sure.  That said, this only works because I enforce Astral, I suspect repeated Tyrant breaths would be more effective.
Mimi the Wonder Baker (Tales of Legendia) vs Medic (Etrian Odyssey)- No vote.
Buffacow 9th (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Repede (Tales of Vesperia)- I suppose?
Lenneth Valkryie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Epsilon (Mega Man X: Command Mission)- Unless Epsilon had Metacrush at all times? *research* ah, he does.  Wonder why I thought of the first form as sucky.  Must be MMXCM damage curve.

Heavy

Master Monk (Final Fantasy Tactics A2) vs Protector (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard)- No vote.
Geddoe (Suikoden III) vs Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia)- Geddoe's best hope here is a turn 1 freeze which is, uh, unlikely.
Nell Ellis (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm) vs Selen (Suikoden Tierkreis)- No vote.

Middle

Oswin (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Gillian Clout (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island)
Mistral (.hack Series) vs Andarc (Suikoden Tactics)- No vote.
Chloe Hartzog (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Liese Randel (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island)- "Listen to Tal" makes sense to me.

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Norma Beatty (Tales of Legendia)
Jeanne (Jeanne D'Arc) vs Thomas (Suikoden III)- No vote.
Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) vs Chuck Preston (Wild ARMs 5)- Pretty sure Beryl doesn't have any evade to speak of, at least.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.