Register

Author Topic: A new music tournament: OST vs OST!  (Read 5470 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: A new music tournament: OST vs OST!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 12:50:07 AM »
Is there any reason to nom games others have already nommed, or would that be a waste of time?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 12:11:07 AM »
EDIT: I have six slots left, so first come first serves goes there.  This will close monday regardless.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:18:30 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
How in the world has no one nominated

Radiant Historia - The entire soundtrack is simply amazing and the fact that they were able to fit such high-quality music onto a DS Cart astounds me.
*The Edge of Green, the game's main boss battle theme simply inspires you with a sense of urgency and compels you to beat the snot out of that stupid bear with the MT move.
*An Earnest Desire of Grey, the game's final boss theme imparts a sense of longing, loss and yet still hope. It carries you from the hopelessness of the past and into a resounding future.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Really? I mean, really? Come on! Everyone loves this OST.
*Doom Castle - It wouldn't be a FFMQ nom without Doom Castle, probably one of the most memorable songs from the OST in general, if not one of the most memorable songs ever. The hard-rocking intro along with the music changing to an almost "let's climb this thing" overture really gets home what a badass place this is.
*City of Forests - As much as I want to nominate the final boss theme, I think City of Forests is a good contrast to the hard rocking style of Doom Castle. The song fills you with a sense of serenity and peacefulness that you simply won't find anywhere else in the game, especially the dungeons, which have their own very distinct musics.

EDIT: One more for good measure

Actraiser - I can't be sure what Yuzu Koshiro did before making the Actraiser soundtrack but I think this may be one of my personal favorite SNES OST's ever.
*Stage 1 - Filmore - The very second you set foot on the ground as God, you realize just what a screwed up world you're in. Trees come to life and attack you, there are dangerous bee monsters everywhere and then you're attacked by a Centaur boss! The game doesn't fool around with its stage themes and Filmore, even though it's the first one, gets you right into the action.
*Birth of the People - Meanwhile, your first foray into the town-building segment is met with a very melodious and peaceful tune to remind you of how tender and delicate you need to be as the lord of your people. It evokes a sense of serenity and peacefulness, compared to the hard-hitting stage themes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:17:40 PM by Nephrite »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »
Is it really over? I could totally nominate 3 last games
One of them not being a SMT game

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 05:49:45 PM »
I asked chat for the last three days. I can boot one of them if you want me to throw in something (DDS1?).
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
Nah, don't worry, my favourites are already in the tournament anyway.

I was thinking about DDS, Strange Journey and Unlimited Saga.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
Doublepost: I forgot about Bastion, I could really nominate that. It's just brilliant and will have a broad appeal here.
Will do a post later.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »
Bastion
Bastion is a melancholic game, yet it has very colorful graphics, simple easy to pick up gameplay, no text, and no voice acting. It achieves this feat purely thanks to its sound; with the narrator's permanent commentary and the more subdued haunting soundtrack.

Build that wall: You start hearing this song in the Prosper Bluff level, and I believe it's the first vocal track in the game. Your reward for finishing the level is meeting the character who's singing.
The Mancer's Dilemna: Honestly, picking only two tracks is difficult, I'm putting one of my favourites here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:22:49 PM by Fenrir »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 11:22:52 PM »
I'll boot one of the chat ideas then, thanks.
-------------------