Register

Author Topic: Be the very best! Rules topic  (Read 1083 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Be the very best! Rules topic
« on: May 05, 2013, 06:38:11 AM »
And so we made a pokémon tournament.  Anyway, basic outline.

- Participants should express interest here in the topic.  However, don't post your teams.  You'll want to PM them to me.  (to minimize counterpicking shenanigans and such)
- Participants should submit teams of six.
- Any pokémon up to #493 (ie Gen 4) may be used.  Similarly, Gen 4 mechanics and skillset limitations will be in effect.
- Each team should be constructed, in addition to winning matches obviously, as though it were for a Gym Leader.  Each pokémon should have a common typing, and having a signature move between pokémon would be nice as well, although if it doesn't fit your team concept it doesn't fit.
Addendum: if you have another clearly defined theme concept beyond shared typing, just ask, I'll likely allow it.
- Each team should have its full moveset and item selection with the submission.  Use of TMs, ideal EVs, etc are assumed.
- There should be no duplicate items in your team.
- While no specific limits on what pokémon you can use will be in place, I do hope nobody tries to run a Rayquaza/Palkia/Dialga/Giratina/Latios/Garchomp team either, y'know?
- If your team is sufficiently similar to another already submitted, I'll get hold of you and see if you want to tweak it.  I don't expect this to come up, but it's there.

Actual matchups will be 2v2 affairs, so be aware of how your team functions in twin battles.

Will aim to launch next week.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:10:29 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: Be the very best! Rules topic
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:03:34 AM »
Interested.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »
So does that mean -no- Legendaries? Because the legendaries have all the cool passives and such. Is there some sort of Nyarlie's Dungeon type point system wherein we can pick one legendary, 3 fully-evolved pokemon, 2 baby pokemon, or whatever?

Is the tournament going to be DL-style legality assumptions? Or totally pokemon rules? Since I'm actually -playing- Pokemon Black now, I'm kinda sad that we've excluded Gen 5... Most of the (Non-DL stat topic) easily-accessible pokemon database information is all based on Gen 5, too...

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
As I put it in chat, I don't want to discourage, say, a well-made Kyogre team.  I do want to discourage making a team with nothing but 680 BST dragons.  Trying to crush things with sheer stat monsters would be lame and boring.

Gen 4 was chosen mostly because player totals.  It's (oddly) the second most-played game among the voters, after RBY which I figured was a bit restrictive.  Some folk tend to get weird about voting on things they haven't played, so just going straight out to everything's legal was counter-productive.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
So does that mean -no- Legendaries? Because the legendaries have all the cool passives and such. Is there some sort of Nyarlie's Dungeon type point system wherein we can pick one legendary, 3 fully-evolved pokemon, 2 baby pokemon, or whatever?

Is the tournament going to be DL-style legality assumptions? Or totally pokemon rules? Since I'm actually -playing- Pokemon Black now, I'm kinda sad that we've excluded Gen 5... Most of the (Non-DL stat topic) easily-accessible pokemon database information is all based on Gen 5, too...

Smogon and Serebii both have great databases for gen 4 (and indeed, all generations). Pokemon is not a hard game to find documentation for!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Sure, I'll sign up for this.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 10:29:18 AM »
yes yes yes yes yes

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »
So far I have just two teams.  Folks that inquired but haven't submitted, try and get something in in the next 24 hours or so.