Poll

Choose... but choose wisely

This is the new DL!  I wants Constructed/Nom-based
Laziness prevails!  Hatbot-based
I love Futurama!  Who cares if it'll be almost exactly like the last season?!
NR SHALL NEVER DIE!  AHHH HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

Author Topic: Tournament 2011 Mk 2: The Horrific Frankenstein-ing  (Read 1620 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tournament 2011 Mk 2: The Horrific Frankenstein-ing
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:08:56 AM »
So I anticipate being fairly bored this July, and I miss seeing things besides Nyarlie in the Tournaments board.  As such, I intend to launch a new tourney in the foreseeable future.

However, I've been in a democratic mood, so we shall have options!  You see them at the top of this page in the form of a poll.  Below follow some help files.

Constructed, Nom-Based DL season- Straightforward enough.  This topic would be followed by a nom topic, wherein everyone could suggest characters in the traditional fashion from among the DL's existing roster (including those games we ranked but never debuted).  Whether this would be rolled out in something approaching the traditional manner, or actually selected and arranged into hopefully more interesting matches, would be left up to discussion.

Random DL Season- Hatbot is turned loose on the DL roster, until we have a season worth of matches.  The rolls would be public (not least so people could check my math) and a set number of re-rolls would be allowed to aid in avoiding excessive obscura.

Futurama- A standard format Futurama tournament.  This would be against my better judgment, as I've played exactly zero rankable games since the last one, and thus would be limited in my ability to keep things from being highly similar to the most recent run.

Revenge of the Not Ranked- The forgotten tournament of madness, Not Ranked would be another nom-based affair, with two key differences.  Matches would always be arranged, and noms accepted/declined (not unlike Futurama).  Second, the noms would simply be anything NOT on the DL roster list.

And there you have it.  Commentary not just welcome but requested and, indeed, required.  Poll will run through at least July 2nd.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament 2011 Mk 2: The Horrific Frankenstein-ing
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:17:50 AM »
I picked the first, because the other three are a recipe for shit that even fewer care about (and that really can not remotely function in the least bit), have no new fodder, and ended in absolute disaster last time in order.
...into the nightfall.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:53:29 AM »
I'd like to see the first but with not-ranked people included.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:58:57 AM »
That's called Futurama, Neph.

Dhyer, and anyone else into the first option: do you want more constructed, or more old school rolling noms?

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 06:05:30 AM »
I'm not sure what I want to see but I definitely will be interested in seeing something; I basically support every option listed here (except pure NR). Maybe Hatbot with a few well-played NR noms added to the DL roster for spice?

It'd be nice for Soul Nomad and Radiant Dawn to actually get matches, too.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:53:21 AM »

Dhyer, and anyone else into the first option: do you want more constructed, or more old school rolling noms?

Yes but your Futurama always ends with like "NAPOLEON BONAPARTE VS. JOHN BULL" and like two people can vote on it.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »
Well, I'm fine with either. If it noms, we might as well make this the DL proper since we haven't heard any word on any functionality on the arena system. Constructed definitely allows for fun matches, but also means that you have some active choosing you wins or loses to a degree.
...into the nightfall.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »
I can only do so much telling people not to nom things Neph.  Unless you want I should rig seasons so that there's ALWAYS NR vs DL in every round I suppose >.>

What I was thinking with Constructed was more along the lines of... people put in their noms as usual, then I go through them and pick out people and arrange them into the best matches available.  Actually rolling them randomly is a fuckton of work, but I figured I could at least present the option if people did want to basically have a DL season.  Even if I did such, though, it would not be run on any kind of rigorous schedule, so don't think of it as replacing the DL by any means >.>

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »
Honestly? I just want to see the tourney come back.
So sure, I'll say first. I like the sound of the 2nd, but it's basically just the first, but without us putting in characters we care about to begin with.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »

Yes but your Futurama always ends with like "NAPOLEON BONAPARTE VS. JOHN BULL" and like two people can vote on it.

EVERYONE can vote on that, though.  

Also, where is the Lesbian Orgy Option?

I would like to see the DL back up in some vein - still no word on when that will happen?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »
All options end is lesbian orgy button, as long as you do the noms right.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 05:56:21 AM »
I think my opinion has been (loudly) stated before that I want to see the regular arena back.

I'm all for regular nomming, but for CK-streamlining. Put together some matches that actually look interesting. Make a theme, avoid obscura, females-only first-round/males-only second-round/battle of the sexes quarters~

Whatever, just bring back some interesting DL matches. Hell, we could even use the general writeups we've been making~

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 05:59:41 AM »
I definitely would be a fan if somebody (CK) just plain made seasons.  Noms would be fine, but no need nor desire to roll them - some people will still nom Captain Rob McObscura, and the ability to keep that to a minimum would be good.  Guarantee that at least two duelers from a person's nom list will be taken if they nominate some requisite amount, doesn't have to be the 6 per division of old (but shouldn't be "here are exactly 2 duelers, you must take them").  Hatbot also works, but only with aggressive rerolling, as Hatbot strongly favors huge casts over small casts, even if the small cast is from a loved game (7 duelers from FFX, except Kimahri doesn't translate at all, so 6 we'd reasonably want around, vs. Eleventy Billion for Suikodens / Fire Emblems).

It can be a little Futuramay, but I'd keep that element lowish.  Say, 2 duelers (out of 16) per division are not ranked, and preferably not ranked of the "Game never made the DL" type (FF13, Radiant Historia) rather than the "game was ranked but dueler has issues" (FFT generics, P4 final boss).  Up to CK though, really.  Stopping at 2 duelers should minimize the damage of low vote counts even if they're underranked.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 12:35:22 PM »
It can be a little Futuramay, but I'd keep that element lowish.  Say, 2 duelers (out of 16) per division are not ranked, and preferably not ranked of the "Game never made the DL" type (FF13, Radiant Historia) rather than the "game was ranked but dueler has issues" (FFT generics, P4 final boss).  Up to CK though, really.  Stopping at 2 duelers should minimize the damage of low vote counts even if they're underranked.

Heh, I like this idea. It's essentially RPGDL: CK edition! ~now with 2 FWs per season~

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 04:52:08 AM »
Will probably start a nom topic sometime this weekend, since that's definitely the direction people are voting.

That said, if people could take the next couple of days to discuss having some number of NR slots to the noms that'd be aces.