Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2014 Season 1 Finals and Rankings  (Read 2563 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2014 Season 1 Finals and Rankings
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 02:03:10 AM »
Titles that were in the main DL and didn't transfer over: AtL1, AtL4 (Kharg and Darc), FFX-2 (Paine), Phantasy Star 1, Phantasy Star 2, Tales of Eternia, Tales of Destiny, Vandal Hearts 1, Brig, Persona 1, Wild ARMs 5, AtL2, LoL2, OB, MMXCM, Lufia 1, EB (I think) and Disgaea 2.  Lufia 1, MMXCM, EB and OB have been reranked.

The care thing speaks for itself with AtL2, I think. It got nommed and always had support- I know for myself, I nommed Elc one and was surprised when he wasn't in the main site. No one is crying over ToD (I like it as a DL game, but not enough to bother with). There was a lot of purging of bad/low interest draws. There were just some weird titles that slipped through the cracks. AtL2 felt like one to me, so did LoL2 and MMXCM/OB. AtL2 (And LoL2) have people care enough about to nom it and support it, it has enough playership and it always had the support on site. It's more than enough for me.

The odd bird there is Disgaea 2. I just think that's a case where the people who played it wandered away from the group/the main site being more Disgaea friendly.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 02:03:49 AM »
It's impossible for my views to result in the RH cast being below average MDef as a group. Everyone just uses their default armour options, and presto, the cast average MDef is the same as the DL average, just as if the game had no equipment options at all.

(In fact, by my views, RH still has above average potential MDef overall as a cast... just not by nearly as much as it does for you! The reason is that whoever stands to benefit more than average from the transition to +MDef gear can still see a small benefit from doing so.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 02:07:43 AM »
2014-1 Rankings

For each of the following games, please vote either to Rank the game, or Reject it from further ranking consideration.

Arc the Lad 2 (11/20): Abstain
Dragon Quest V (11/20): Maybe rank it.  Don't think the characters bring much to the table, but they're rankable at least.
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (11/20): DNR.  Not the type of game that fits the setting of the DL really.
Fire Emblem: Awakening (11/20): Rank it
Legaia 2: Duel Saga (11/20): Abstain
Phantasy Star II (11/20): Abstain
Star Ocean: First Departure (11/20): Abstain
Suikoden Tierkreis (11/20): Abstain.
Wild ARMs 5 (11/20): Abstain

Data Mine

For each of the following games, please indicate if you have Played the game or not.  Additionally, if you object to ranking the game on non-playership grounds, please note this with a vote of Reject.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten: Have not played.
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch: Played, I say reject it.  The PCs are designed to use familiars, who are all generic.
Pokémon X/Y: Played, go for it.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Played, Abstain on rankability. 

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 03:06:28 AM »
Godlike

Heat (Digital Devil Saga) vs Zophar (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete)

Heavy

Sinspawn Gui (Final Fantasy X) vs Chie Satonaka (Persona 4)

Middle

Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series) - Good fight, Stocke. But this is a really good Middle vs a straight up Heavy.

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Jet Enduro (Wild ARMs 3) - Yeah, Jet can outslug Luke pretty easily.

2014-1 Rankings

For each of the following games, please vote either to Rank the game, or Reject it from further ranking consideration.

Arc the Lad 2 (11/20) - Rank. I suppose "dead end" is the new buzzword, reading some of the other ranking thoughts. But whatever, I like the AtL2 chars, let 'em duel.
Dragon Quest V (11/20) - Reject. I like DQ5, but it's not an interesting DL game.
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (11/20) - Rank. I like it, have no issues with it.
Fire Emblem: Awakening (11/20) - Rank. Easy enough here. I reserve the right to start cracking skulls if anyone noms non-Lucina kids, though.
Legaia 2: Duel Saga (11/20) - Rank. See MQ, really.
Phantasy Star II (11/20) - Reject. I strangely like some of the non-Rolf chars and would prolly nom them, but Rolf will cause enough arguments it's best to just not bother.
Star Ocean: First Departure (11/20) - Reject. Inviting votesplit is never a good idea.
Suikoden Tierkreis (11/20) - Rank. There's really no reason for this not to be ranked.
Wild ARMs 5 (11/20) - Abstain. I do not like it, have not managed to make myself finish it, but will not actively oppose ranking if folks want it.

Data Mine

For each of the following games, please indicate if you have Played the game or not.  Additionally, if you object to ranking the game on non-playership grounds, please note this with a vote of Reject.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten - Partially played.
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - Partially played.
Pokémon X/Y - Played.
Shin Megami Tensei IV - Played.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 04:48:57 AM »
The casts that REALLY cheat damage averages and end up above average are the ones that have amazing haste/quick-hit effects and such.

I think allowing runes is totally fair as far as that goes. It is not much different from equipping a sword if all it does is damage.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 05:43:25 AM »
On Ni no Kuni: All of the PCs -do- have starting Familiars that level up. You could do a stat topic that uses that and have a more interesting and true-to-game cast without breaking any DL rules. Only the last PC would skew higher since the starting familiar is a bit later-game.

On Runes: Yep, I allow A and up affinity enough of a solid claim for a storebought skillset that a few Suiko characters get to use them (there's really not many, it's something like 12 PCs across all 5 games). It doesn't affect the averages much.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series)

Light

2014-1 Rankings

Arc the Lad 2 (11/20) - Rank
Dragon Quest V (11/20) - Rank
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (11/20) - Rank
Fire Emblem: Awakening (11/20) - Rank
Legaia 2: Duel Saga (11/20) - Rank
Phantasy Star II (11/20) - Rank
Star Ocean: First Departure (11/20) - Rank
Suikoden Tierkreis (11/20) - Rank
Wild ARMs 5 (11/20) - Rank

Data Mine

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten - Haven't
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - Haven't
Pokémon X/Y - Played
Shin Megami Tensei IV - Haven't

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Jet Enduro (Wild ARMs 3)

2014-1 Rankings

Arc the Lad 2 (11/20) - Rank
Dragon Quest V (11/20) - Abstain
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (11/20) - Rank
Fire Emblem: Awakening (11/20) - Abstain
Legaia 2: Duel Saga (11/20) - Rank
Phantasy Star II (11/20) - Abstain
Star Ocean: First Departure (11/20) - Reject
Suikoden Tierkreis (11/20) - Rank
Wild ARMs 5 (11/20) - Rank

Data Mine

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten - Played, Rank
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - Not played, Abstain
Pokémon X/Y - Not played, Abstain
Shin Megami Tensei IV - Not played, Abstain

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 05:50:03 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss) vs Jet Enduro (Wild ARMs 3)

2014-1 Rankings

Arc the Lad 2 (11/20)- Abstain.  I hate to block it entirely, but honestly I'm iffy on 11 player games to start with.
Dragon Quest V (11/20)- Abstain.
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (11/20)- Abstain.
Fire Emblem: Awakening (11/20)- Rank.  Ahhh what the hell.
Legaia 2: Duel Saga (11/20)- Rank.  Okay, gotta get off my ass and finish the game I think >.>
Phantasy Star II (11/20)- Abstain.
Star Ocean: First Departure (11/20)- Abstain.  Dhyer has the right of it: a few players are of the rather different SNES version, so a few more players to shore up the version split would be required.
Suikoden Tierkreis (11/20)- Abstain.
Wild ARMs 5 (11/20)- Abstain.

Data Mine

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten- Played.
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch- No played.
Pokémon X/Y- Played.
Shin Megami Tensei IV- Not played.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 04:34:12 AM »
No votes on the matches this week.

2014-1 Rankings

Arc the Lad 2 (11/20): Abstain.  Haven't played it and don't really have any extreme interest in doing so (feel free to tell me why I absolutely should).
Dragon Quest V (11/20): It's at least as interesting as DQ4, so rank it.
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (11/20): Abstain, but I would say that if we DO rank it we should really only be ranking Benjamin.
Fire Emblem: Awakening (11/20): Rank.  If it means we have too much FE, punt FE6 or FE11, we need modern relevant games in the DL.  Frankly, if we could only have one FE game in the DL and had to punt all others, Awakening would still be the one I'd keep, it has the most careworthy overall cast.  I do agree with Gatewalker that non-Lucina kids should be DNR for standard CKDL tourneys, although I could see them participating in Futuramas or something if the person running the tourney defines their parentage for the purpose of that tourney I guess?  Shrug.
Legaia 2: Duel Saga (11/20): Abstain, haven't played, but unlike AtL2 I intend to eventually.
Phantasy Star II (11/20): I would only accept PS2 based on the remake, and that certainly doesn't meet playership thresholds.  Reject.  If we *did* rank it based on the Genesis version I would certainly not count Megid.
Star Ocean: First Departure (11/20): Abstain for now.  Needs specific datamining on PSP vs. SNES playership, I would argue that we should rank based only on the PSP version and I don't think it has the playership by itself.
Suikoden Tierkreis (11/20): Abstain, not played, see AtL2.
Wild ARMs 5 (11/20): Abstain, not played, see Legaia 2.

Data Mine

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten: Played.
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch: Not played.
Pokémon X/Y: Not finished, but it's a Pokemon game, the core mechanics have not changed since gen 3 to any degree that would really impact DL voting >_>
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Reject

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 04:41:05 AM »
Godlike

Heat (Digital Devil Saga)- iiiiii vs Zophar (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete)- iii

Heavy

Sinspawn Gui (Final Fantasy X)- iiiiii vs Chie Satonaka (Persona 4)- ii

Middle

Stocke (Radiant Historia)- iiii vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series)- iiiiiiii

Light

Luke fon Fabre (Tales of the Abyss)- iiii vs Jet Enduro (Wild ARMs 3)- iiiiiii

2014-1 Rankings

Rankers- iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  (16)

Arc the Lad 2 (11/20) rank- iiiiiiiiii  (10, rank!)
Dragon Quest V (11/20) rank- iiiiiii (7)  reject- iiiii (5)
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (11/20) rank- iiiiiii (7)  Reject- iiiiii (6)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (11/20) rank- iiiiiiiiiiiii (13, irony, rank!) reject- i
Legaia 2: Duel Saga (11/20) rank- iiiiiiiiiiiii (13, rank!))
Phantasy Star II (11/20) rank- iiii  reject- iiiiiii (7)
Star Ocean: First Departure (11/20) rank-iii (3)  reject- iiiiiii (7)
Suikoden Tierkreis (11/20) rank- iiiiiii (7)
Wild ARMs 5 (11/20) rank- iiiiiii (7) reject- iii (3)

Data Mine

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten (4/20)  Djinn, Tal, CK, Reiska,
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch  (2/20) Djinn, Pyro,
Pokémon X/Y (7/20) Elfboy, Meeple, Snow, Ciatos, Gate, Twil, CK,
Shin Megami Tensei IV (2/20)  Snowfire, Gate,
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.