Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 6  (Read 1851 times)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 6
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 01:33:13 AM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.) - vocals getting in the way less
Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara vs BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings - ah, thanks Niu.  Hmm.  Both of these are decent but not really amazing me?  Feeling this a bit more though.
Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle vs BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA - Sayaka Battle has a strong start but... doesn't really do all that much past it?  Beats the track that takes a minute to start and also doesn't really do all that much.
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg vs Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert - Don't really dig the singer but at least the track works for me, which is more than I can say for the other thing.

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way - yep
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends vs Final Fantasy VI- Terra
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast vs Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time - Huh the persona q track is legit, wasn't expecting that.  Beats generic tension track #82174 or whatever the hell Legendary Beast was supposed to be.
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast - probably?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:45:20 AM by Random Consonant »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 04:04:14 AM »
Managed to find the Magatsu Chisomebana somewhere in Youtube.
https://youtu.be/wGasfDliwBY?t=443  (7:24~10:11)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 08:39:49 AM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.)
Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara vs BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings
Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle vs BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg vs Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast vs Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 02:30:11 AM »
Suikogaden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.)  Kind of even for me.  Sure, go with the less obtrusive vocals since I don't have a strong preference either way.
Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara vs BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings  I've come to think that the whole Blazblue soundtrack is targeting people with different musical tastes than myself. (shrug) Still prefer it to the other track here.
Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle vs BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA  I guess.  YOMOwhatever took over 2 minutes to get my attention.  Nothing really stuck out for Sayaka Battle.
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg vs Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert  Voice work is a miss for me this time.  i didn't really feel anything from the Xenogears piece even though I've beaten the game.  I can respect the spirit of nomming something off the beaten path though.  Suppose I'll give it my vote though the "don't care" factor is high here.

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance
vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way  I think I found my new favorite of this batch.  Hits all the right mood buttons for me; this is what Shattering the Dream Egg wants to be when it grows up.  XC piece is decent and I dig the reference to a similarly titled Xenogears track but it's outclassed here.
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends vs Final Fantasy VI- Terra  I suppose this is a "dammit Hatbot" moment for putting the WoB overworld theme against the WoR overworld.  Both are high quality pieces.  Giving it to Dear Friends because of the tingly feeling i get when I obtain the Falcon but damn this will be quite the contested spot.
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast vs Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time  I liked Legendary Beast before I even knew it came from FF8.  Footsteps of Time is in a higher class of good though.
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast   Both are new to me.  Like them both quite a bit though I have a clear preference for Ryoshima Coast.

Favorite "new" piece:  Guidance
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:19:02 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 04:44:53 AM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.): Like the instrumentation more, that's really it.
Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara vs BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings
Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle vs BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA: Better percussion, simpler, and jams harder.
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg vs Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert: Jams ORDERS OF MAGNITUDES higher. Easy vote.

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way: Very, very different in mood here. They're both good for what they are. However, the XC song has more personal relevance, so I'll toss my vote there.
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends vs Final Fantasy VI- Terra: t r i p l e t s
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast vs Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast: Luckily this isn't one of the XC songs I'm morally obligated to vote for, so I can actually vote for my nom.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.)

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.) - Kneejerk.  Singer's kinda rough (or possibly there's a sound quality barrier here?  Hard to tell which) but there's a liveliness to it that I'm enjoying a lot at the moment.
Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara vs BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings - I think?  I'm not getting too strong a reaction to either, and I'm not sure exactly why this one seems right, but... *shrug*
Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle vs BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA - Very average sorta pool in this half.
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg vs Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert -  The Treasure That Cannot Be Stolen woulda been way more appropriate.

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way -  Hrrrmmmm.  The One Who Gets in Our Way fits better in context than here I think; as I recall it mostly plays for the Face bosses who are big complicated set piece battles with a much slower pace than Xenoblade as a whole.  Guidance is Another Mood Piece from the queen of mood pieces, but I mean, it's a prosperous queendom.
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends vs Final Fantasy VI- Terra - Some of my favorite remixes are of Terra, but in SNES sound?  Yeah, Searching for Friends.
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast vs Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time - Man, Legendary Beast is a song I remember being about 25 seconds long because I almost always OHKO Griever's ass, so it plays just long enough for Shockwave Pulsar to animate.  It's not without charm but gotta give the edge to the EO song.
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast -  Mmm.  Definitely a lot of similarity between these two.  CKbot was in a strange mood on this one I guess.  Engage the ENemy has a stronger emotional undercurrent though, like I don't know exactly who this song goes TO but it's someone's song.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:47:41 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 12:04:35 AM »
Like Dark Holy Elf did in the previous topic, I'll only choose between two songs if at least one of them is from a game I've played.

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way - Both are actually pretty strong pieces, though their tones couldn't be more far apart. I'll go with The One Who Gets in Our Way due to how well it fits the player's first fight in the game.
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends vs Final Fantasy VI- Terra - The irony! The WoB overworld theme ends up competing with what becomes the WoR overworld theme. Both are SNES masterpieces as far as I'm concerned. I'd say Terra works better as a stand-alone song, while Searching for Friends works better ingame. I think I'll go with Terra simply for it's pretty much 'the Final Fantasy VI song' and every version of it that plays within the game works extremely well.
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast - Another excellent match-up. If I had to choose one though, it would be Engage the Enemy due to how well the song works as an emotional piece during the cutscenes it plays within and how it can also be enjoyed as a stand-alone piece.

In response to Cmdr_King; Engage the Enemy isn't meant to be anyone's theme, though it does play when Fiora dies at the start of the game. It also plays in several other cutscenes, usually when one of the party members has an emotional stake with their opponent.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 10:05:46 PM »
According to youtube it plays um, a lot.

(I looked that up when I was considering it for the music quiz and wondering whether it was prominent enough. spoilers: it was. but I ended up using The One Who Gets In Our Way, as you well know, and apparently it didn't matter because in reality no one played XBC?)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:07:34 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »
Xenoblade is rather disproportionately underplayed in the DL relative to other games with similar sales figures, basically.  It's just too long for old farts like us.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 10:42:10 PM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.) - The former makes my eye twitch for some reason
Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara vs BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings - See above
Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle vs BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA - The first one was solid in-game, the other...what is it with me not liking BlazBlue music...
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg vs Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert - WHEN A COOL DROP OF WATER'S ALL I NEED

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way - The first one is beautiful, the second sounds like very generic rock and/or roll
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends vs Final Fantasy VI- Terra - I love the sense of loss, yet hope, of the former.  Terra isn't a song I've ever liked much.
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast vs Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time - Legendary Beast isn't bad, but I think it's the weakest of the FF8 final boss themes
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast - Neither excites me a ton, but I think I like the latter better
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 05:58:32 AM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents  vs  Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.)
 Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara  vs  BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings - Different in a good way.
 Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle  vs  BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA
 Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg  vs  Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert - Make no mistake, I love the XG track. But Rivers is just too much a rockin' good time.

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance  vs  Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way - Guidance is THE mood piece of the game. It's the track for the first scene, it sets the leit motif, and really underscores Ayesha's despair about her sister, and appears in every plot scene related to that plight. It's an amazing piece from a game overflowing with good tracks.
 Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends  vs  Final Fantasy VI- Terra - Both equally good. Kneejerk.
 Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast  vs  Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time 
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy  vs  Okami- Ryoshima Coast - Alright, I'll bite on XBC this time. Both are solid.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 07:55:01 AM »
Both good for very, very different reasons.  Rusty Sky is a great mood piece.  Currents has more "spunk" and has some great Arranged versions IIRC.  I'll tiebreak for not being a super-huge fan of the background shouty choir in-between the excellent main singer sections of Currents.
This track helped sell me on actually buying BB, actually, despite not being much of a fightans type.

I am a Crusty Old Fogey who doesn't like most of the recent BlazBlue tracks but would think most of the Calamity Trigger (and some of the Continuum Shift) tracks were all great.
I still like most of the instrumental versions of the P5 songs better, but they're pretty good in general.

XBC is solid, but sure, down for Sopko/Tallychu hype today.
Agree with comments that Terra has way better arrangements and possibly a better overall melody, but WoR overworld is probably better in a vacuum unarranged.  Terra takes a bit of time to get to the good part in the SNES version at least.

Dang, I expected a stomp for Legendary Beast, but this is really close.  Footsteps of Time is awesome, but it's up against a classic.
Dang, these two are close too!  I like the vibe Coast sets up, but Engage is properly super-melodramatic for a showdown.  Beats me, no vote.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.) - Not a fan of either, but Currents is less meh.
Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara vs BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings - Wings makes me enjoy the vaguely GG-esque sound.
Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle vs BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA - See previous.
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg vs Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert - Shattering the Egg is a nice, calming piece. The other? Ugh.

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way - I'll take a good boss theme, sure. Guidance wasn't bad, probably the best Atelier track I've heard in the tournament. Tough draw.
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends vs Final Fantasy VI- Terra - I actually think Dark World is the best FF6 overworld theme. Beyond that, Searching for Friends is passably good and catchy, while Terra's overrated. But yeah, should have nommed Dark World. Really an amazing track that fits what's going on like few other tracks in a game.
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast vs Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time - Eh.
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast - Meh.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 05:43:49 AM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents  vs  Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.)
Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara  vs  BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings
Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle  vs  BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg  vs  Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance  vs  Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends  vs  Final Fantasy VI- Terra
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast  vs  Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy  vs  Okami- Ryoshima Coast

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »
Firefox ate first attempt at posting, so too lazy for comments now.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 10:32:17 PM »
- Pretty easy choice.
- Haven't heard this before, it's quite good!
- Eh, not really feeling either of these right now.
- I really don't know how I feel about Rivers in the Desert...

- These are both quite good, but in general I'll take a really good mood piece over a rocking rock piece.
- Oddly enough, my favorite arrangement out of these two is of Searching For Friends.  But as for the original tracks, Terra wins out.
- Haven't heard it before, but Footsteps of Time is really good.
- I was gonna vote for Engage the Enemy but then Ryoshima Coast got gud.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:18:09 AM by Talaysen »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 05:08:26 PM »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:26:08 AM by Niu »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 02:02:25 AM »
Pretty tough week of voting for me.

Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara vs BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings - pretty sweet melody. This was a tough vote because Condemnation Wings is very good too.
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg vs Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert - I love the buzz in the baseline.  nice way of ratcheting up the tension.

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way - for my money the best version of Ayesha's theme by far.  Very tough call here - I like a lot of what the XBC track does.  Don't really like the melody in the beginning - has too much of a Phantom Menace Theme sound to it.
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends vs Final Fantasy VI- Terra - gdi hatbot
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast vs Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time - both very nice, but I really like the melody of Legendary Beast
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast - yet another tough call.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
Suikogaiden vol. 1: Swordsman of Harmonia- Currents- iiiiiiii vs Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Rusty Sky (Opening Ver.) - iiiiiii
Kajiri Kamui Kagura- Magatsu Chisomebara- iiiiiii vs BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings - iiiiiiii
Enchanted Arms- Sayaka Battle- iiiiiiiii vs BlazBlue Central Fiction- YOMOTSUHIRASAKA - iiiiii
Xenogears- Shattering the Dream Egg- iiiii vs Persona 5- Rivers in the Desert - iiiiiiiiii

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance- iiiiiiiiiii vs Xenoblade Chronicles- The One Who Gets in Our Way - iiiii
Final Fantasy VI- Searching for Friends- iiiiii vs Final Fantasy VI- Terra - iiiiiiiiii
Final Fantasy VIII- Legendary Beast iii vs Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Footsteps of Time - iiiiiiiiiiii
Xenoblade Chronicles- Engage the Enemy- iiiiii vs Okami- Ryoshima Coast - iiiiiiiii