Author Topic: Exhibition match: music tourney losers bracket  (Read 555 times)

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Exhibition match: music tourney losers bracket
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:32:24 AM »
It was quite a spectacle seeing some potential champs in the music tourney get knocked out whether by going up against stronger opposition or surprise outcomes.  Wanted to give these and other enjoyable pieces another chance to shine.  Rather than set up more one on one matches, went with a different format for variety.

I've split the 32 losers from round 3 in 4 playlists of 8 each.  The idea is to vote for which one(s) you'd be most likely to share with a non-gaming friend (or at least someone outside of RPGDL).  I've tried to make the lists somewhat closely balanced so it will be a tough decision but I'm only human.

How it works:
  You may vote for up to 3 playlists.  You'll get 4 Ratio points to divide up among your choices however you like and all 4 points will be used.  Winner will be determined by highest number of Ratio points at the end of the voting period.  (Yes, this is pulled direct from Capcom vs SNK 2)

If you do forget to assign points (or they don't add up to 4), your vote will still be counted.  Picking two lists will be given a 2-2 split while picking three will have one choice given 2 Ratio points at random.

If there is a tie, I'll cook up some sort of tiebreaker.  I'll leave voting open until the end of the month (on the board clock though I may give some wiggle room)

And now the 4 playlists

List 1

Sid Meier's Civilization IV - Baba Yetu
Dark Souls- Nameless Song
Undertale- Death by Glamour
Deemo- Parallel Universe

Drakengard 3- The Upcoming Battle/Armaros
Tales of Xillia 2- If It’s For You ~Song 4 u~
Chrono Trigger- Singing Mountain
NieR Automata- Wretched Weaponry

List 2

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk- Guidance
Imperishable Night- Love-Colored Master Spark
NieR- The Wretched Automatons
BlazBlue Continuum Shift- Condemnation Wings

Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow
Adventures of Mana- Battle II
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire
Metal Gear Solid 2- Main Theme

List 3

Fire Emblem Fates- The End of All
Megamari- Title Theme
Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm
Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar

Undertale- Spear of Justice
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose
Bravely Default- Fighting to the End
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War- The Unsung War

List 4

Final Fantasy XV- Stand by Me
Dark Souls- Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Mass Effect 2- Suicide Mission
Wild ARMs XF- Intrude Upon Happiness, Plunder the Future

Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain
Caligula- Distorted Happiness
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War- Zero
Ys: The Oath in Felghana- The Strongest Foe

Links to songs.  Actually, I'm linking the two tourney topics because i'm being lazy, ha.  All relevant links will be there.
Set 1 http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6952.0
Set 2 http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6958.0

Short form:
Playlist 1: Team Babu Yetu
Playlist 2: Team Guidance
Playlist 3: Team The End of All
Playlist 4: Team Stand by Me
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:53:28 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Exhibition match: music tourney losers bracket
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »
You split my personal champ tier songs evenly between the four lists, you bastard. @_@

Playlist 1: Team Babu Yetu - 1 Point
Playlist 2: Team Guidance - 2 Point
Playlist 3: Team The End of All - 1 Point
Playlist 4: Team Stand by Me - 0 Points

Pool 4 has Stand by Me, Intrude/Plunder and Distorted Happiness all of which I like, but I feel that the strongest things from the other pools beat out Stand by Me, so that's the pool that has to get the 0.

Pool 2 has both God in Fire(one of the 4 top songs for me out of this entire selection) and Battle 2 which is really good. Also Master Spark and Condemnation wings, which I also enjoy greatly. So it beats out Pools 1 and 3 for the bonus point.

Pool 3 has End of All, my single top pick, but Spear of Justice loses out to Battle 2 and Megamari theme loses out to Master Spark making the pool overall weaker than Pool 2 despite having the best headliner song.

Pool 1 has Baba Yetu and Death by Glamour, but I'm lukewarm on the rest of the list.

Harsh lists to choose from. Also simply picking by personal preference, since what music I'd share with someone depends entirely on what I already know of their tastes making it too subjective to use as rating criteria.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
List 2 wins.  I really like basically everything in it, with maybe the weakest piece being God in Fire which is hardly bad!

I'd just like to say in the happy-salt mines that Battle II from AoM lost by a tiebreaker to the WKC piece which made it to the finals, and I somehow missed the round that happened and would certainly have voted for my own nom.  Oh well, the WKC piece is also very good at least!

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 03:44:47 AM »
And getting my own vote in...

Playlist 1: Team Babu Yetu    1
Playlist 2: Team Guidance     3

Playlist 3: Team The End of All
Playlist 4: Team Stand by Me

List 2 has Master Spark, Guidance, and Battle 2 which I find subjectively awesome even if they don't have the broad appeal to champ the main tourney.  The rest of the list contains selections that seem that they would appeal to people with tastes different from me and i don't actually dislike any of them.

List 1 gets a pity point because Babu Yetu and Parallel Universe seem like the sort of thing most likely to share if I knew absolutely nothing about the other person's tastes.  Song 4 u has an odd pop quality that appears it would appeal to a more mainstream audience but what do I know?

Much as I like Megamari - Title (and to a lesser extent, End of All), I don't think they'd attract an unknown audience.  Rest of list 3 feels gamey or not something I'd enjoy and I'd pick something I'd enjoy first.

Stand by Me has the best chance of sneaking onto a mainstream playlist on group 4.  Also like Intrude onto Happiness.  Zero is nifty.  Rest of the list I'm neutral or not attracted to.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 03:43:08 AM »
zzzz, oh right.  Update my own topic.

Results:

Playlist 1: Team Babu Yetu  2
Playlist 2: Team Guidance  9
Playlist 3: Team The End of All  1
Playlist 4: Team Stand by Me  0

List 2 sweeps.

Just for fun, I'll count up the next 3 votes so I have a decent sample size.  No deadline.