Author Topic: Super Mafia Bros Brawl - Game Topic (GAME OVER)  (Read 68623 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mafia Bros Brawl - Game Topic (GAME OVER)
« Reply #625 on: June 15, 2008, 03:06:56 AM »
What's a Naive Doc?
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2008, 03:09:28 AM »
Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention.  The scum Godfather using their daykill forfeited not only the following nightkill, but all scum actions the following night.  Including his own protected status.

So, (one of) the insane cop(s) happened to investigate the GF on the night when they would have read scum!  Hence reading town.

Naive doctor picks a target, thinks they protect them but actually does nothing.  Yakumo would have become a real doc when Eph died, but quit when he received the PM implying this.  You didn't think I'd really let town have two valid mason doctors, did you?

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2008, 03:10:02 AM »
Well I fucking fail, I thought Cid was town for like the entire game.
So did we >_>

And yeah, janitor. I wasn't actually alive for any of our NKs (vigged what?) but if we'd left the NKs to you Cid, that would have given us a significant advantage.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 15, 2008, 03:11:13 AM »
Holy hell, Janitor's a nasty power. Good thing the scum didn't let El Cid use it.

Bardiche

« Reply #629 on: June 15, 2008, 03:11:37 AM »
My rolepm: I really wasn't crapping you when I said I knew.

You are Jigglypuff, Town Cop!

Ah, Jiggs.  What is there to say?  You're awesome.  At night, you get to choose one person, put them to sleep, and then rifle their pockets to determine their alignment.  Yep.

There's something else, though.  You happen to know for a fact that all is not right in the Brawl.  Not only are there scum who seek to KO you, there's a traitor somewhere in the ranks of the town, a single scum who is disconnected from the rest and cannot communicate with them outside the thread.  The main scum faction does not know who their maverick buddy is, but they know one exists.  The lone scum, meanwhile, knows who all the other scum are.  They'll be trying to get in touch, probably in the thread.  You should watch out for this, and alert the rest of the town if you see anything suspicious!

Of course, the scum also know that they've tipped some people's suspicions already.  If you just up and announce "I know there's a lone scum out there somewhere!," that's tantamount to screaming "I am a power role with inside information please kill me!" to the scum.  Not terribly wise.  Keep your down-B handy and enjoy the cat and mouse.

Minor ability:  Sing
Once during the game, you may put someone to sleep, roleblocking them, in addition to your cop investigation.

You win with the town when all threats to the town have been KO'd. 

Please respond to this message via PM, IRC, AIM, or whatever other method appeals to you, confirming receipt of your role and submitting your night 0 choice of investigation (and roleblock, if you so choose). 

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 15, 2008, 03:13:26 AM »
No, I didn't think we'd have two mason docs, hence my actions.  But then, you put all those hints in the initial PM that I couldn't trust the mason half of my power, only to have the doc half be the part I really couldn't trust, not to mention the fact that two mason docs didn't seem to make sense.  Really, that's the part that actually set me off, was when I got the PM that the part of the role I trusted was fake and the part of the role I didn't trust was the useful part.

Still doesn't excuse what I did, but I hope you understand a little bit more why I was ticked off now. >_>

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 15, 2008, 03:14:32 AM »
Holy hell, Janitor's a nasty power. Good thing the scum didn't let El Cid use it.

EMO TEARS GO HERE.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 15, 2008, 03:15:07 AM »
Heh. This was really fun role madness. And now I really want to play another game. Who's next on the modding schedule?

Ninja'd by El Scum: hush, furry.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 15, 2008, 03:15:36 AM »
I'm modding next. Signups will be up sometime tonight.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 15, 2008, 03:17:03 AM »
Joining the pile!
You are Ness, Town Tracker!

You may be a kid of few words, but that doesn't stop you from doggedly pursuing love, justice, steak and rockin!  Every night, you may choose a player to track.  You will be informed whether that player takes any night actions or not, and, if they take actions targeting other players, what other player(s) they targeted.  You will not be informed what the actions actually are, just whether they exist and who they targeted.

Minor Power:  PK Magnet
Effect:  Certain types of actions that would deal damage to you will remove damage instead.  You'll be notified if this happens.

I wonder what actually worked with Magnet. Probably ##Shoot, at least.

Taishyr

« Reply #635 on: June 15, 2008, 03:18:24 AM »
You are Kirby, Town Jailer!

Hi-iiiiii~!  Every night, you may choose a player other than yourself and, er, inhale them.  This will protect them from any attempts to KO them that night, and possibly other harmful abilities, but at the cost of roleblocking them.  You may choose to not inhale anyone.

Minor Ability:  Kirbyhat
Effect:  Huh?Huh?? Unknown to you at game start.  Minor abilities are common, related to your character, and have minimal gameplay effect, since characters weren't randomized.  Roles were, though, so don't assume that this has anything to do with your jailing ability.

You win with the town when all threats to the town are KO'd.

Please respond to this message via PM, IRC, AIM or whatever floats your boat to confirm receipt of your role and submit your night 0 action, if any.  (Keep in mind that no killing roles work night 0, so there's no need to protect anyone from death.)

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 15, 2008, 03:18:55 AM »
You are Snake, Town Cop!

Every night, you may pick a player and demonstrate the basics of CQC to them, in the process interrogating them and learning their alignment.  Doesn't get much simpler than that, right?

Minor Ability:  Codec Call
Effect:  Once per day, you may make a Snakelike codec call in the thread, and receive an amusing response from the mod.  Codec calls are intended for humor purposes only (right?) and won't contain any really relevant game information (... probably?)

Please respond to this message via PM, IRC, AIM or whatever to confirm receipt of your role and submit your night 0 investigation choice.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 15, 2008, 03:19:57 AM »
Bard: Oh, I totally believed you knew there was a detached scum player, because my PM said someone knew. >.> I actually thought it was Meeple when he made some random comment day two that could be taken as implying such (can't recall what it was now,) hence why I investigated him.

Yakko: I sympathize, but my basic reaction was "Didn't you know you were signing up for role madness?" I also wanted to go "Hey, you're not the only one up a creek here," but obviously couldn't. <.<

Seconding the request for Alex to post a list of all possible stages and effects. And a question: Alex, what would've happened if the bus drivers had a common player among their targets? Would a watcher/tracker observing a bus driver see them acting on multiple targets?

Bardiche

« Reply #638 on: June 15, 2008, 03:20:30 AM »
This sure was a hectic game! Most games I played before this were much lighter, and much less essay posts. I was completely overwhelmed by this.

Rat offered an aftergame discussion. I do want to get a laydown on the following:

JOKEVOTES - When and in what spirit? Any rules to this?

PRESSURE VOTES - See above.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 15, 2008, 03:21:53 AM »
You are Toon Link, Vanilla Townie!

You're pretty fruity, and possess a beefy downstab.  You have no powers, though.

Ha!  Right!  Had you going there for a minute, didn't I?  Vanillas in this game, yeah right!

You are actually Dark Toon Link, Scum Busdriver!

You are part of the primary scum faction, along with Captain K (Pink Luigi, Godfather and Daykiller), Evil Tom (Link, Roleblocker and Governor), and an unknown-to-you fourth member (contact your godfather for more details on this, it's a trip).  You may communicate with your two known scumbuddies outside the thread at any time.

Every night, including night 0, you may pick two different players (neither of whom may be yourself) and switch them for purposes of night action targeting that night.  Any actions intended to target one will actually land on the other, and vice versa.  Of course, you forfeit this ability if you're chosen to make the scum nightkill that night.  Have fun messing with town's collective head, you fruity midget shadow thing you!

You win with the primary scum faction when everyone else has been KO'd (or when nothing can prevent such).

Please respond to this message via PM, IRC, AIM, etc to confirm receipt of role and submit your night 0 busdriving choices.  It is advised that you talk with your scumbuddies before deciding on night 0 targets.  Remember, scum don't get a kill night 0.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2008, 03:22:00 AM »
For fun:

You are Wolf, Town Miller Nightvig!

Technically, you're a villain, but nobody knows enough about Star Fox story to care about this, including yourself, so you're town.  You do, however, have a wicked forward smash.  Wicked enough that you can KO unsuspecting people at night.  Every night, you may choose to submit the name of a player to KO, as per standard vig practice.

The bad news?  You may not be a villain, but everybody knows you're a furry.  Cop investigations will see you as scum.

Please respond to this message via PM, IRC, etc, whatever's convenient, confirming receipt of your role.  You may not kill anyone night 0, so you have no action then.

What the hell was Kirbyhat supposed to ever do?

Taishyr

« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2008, 03:22:48 AM »
I was expecting far more roles along the lines of my Kirbyhat, and far less serious roles. Ah well!

Taishyr

« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2008, 03:24:06 AM »
Kirbyhat did nothing until I turned into WHITE KIRBY.

Then I posted the "Skip the foreplay and get straight to the freezerburn - 69% - Iceman". message, and the  "Alex - 999% - Dear God Why Did You Link That?!?!?" message the day after.

Yes, it let me make a comment in the votecount. woo!

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2008, 03:26:58 AM »
I knew there might be role madness.  Hell, I was even considering Eph might be a quack doc and getting rid of him might be good even if he wasn't scum!  Then I got a role PM telling me that -I- was the one with a doc role I couldn't trust.  The initial PM, which I'm sure you saw, told me was a doc, saying nothing about potential downsides, and then proceeded to tell me that while I was a mason, this actually was totally useless since I didn't know anything about my partner.  Then, after Eph dies, I get the second PM that tells me that the doc part, that I assumed was trustworthy since he specifically said there were potential downsides to one part of my power but not the other, has now been powered up from useless to me actually being the doc.

Basically, I saw it as kinda bastard modding because he'd drawn attention to the possibly negative connotations of one half of my power, made the other power look like it worked perfectly, and I actually was thinking about it that was as part of the reasoning for counter-claiming Eph... and it's totally backward.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2008, 03:36:32 AM »
Yakko:  I understand why you were frustrated, yes.  Not much I can say to make you happier, though.  Role heavy is the name of the game, and yes, that means some traps and off-sanities here and there.  The scenario that wound up occurring was indeed part of my plans, and the reason that I worded those PMs the way I did - I sure as heck didn't want the masons claiming doctor that easily, the idea was for them to be a powerful force if and only if they managed to survive and somehow trust each other.  I think it was not an unreasonable trap and could have been avoided with better play - granted, mostly not on your part, you did the smart thing for the situation, but it's not an individual game and sometimes stuff happens.  It is actually standard for masons to not be 100% confirmed town to each other; unless the mod explicitly says so, you should always keep the possibility of a mason traitor in mind.  If you think that being masons with someone of unknown alignment is useless... well, I can only disagree, but that goes into a long debate.  Your situation, like the entire game, could have very easily traveled an entirely different course. 

Just as an example, things that could have worked out differently:
- Either one of the masons could have decided to ignore the warning about alignment and roleclaimed to their buddy.  Least likely, and would lead to an entirely different set of possibilities, but not impossible.
- Eph, being a doctor and a mason, could have done more to keep his head off the block day 1.  This would have been ideal but life sucks and sometimes you find yourself on the block day 1 for no real reason.
- Eph could have claimed doctor to Yakko in private first instead of just dropping it in the thread.
- Eph could have claimed masons and not mentioned doctor at all, rather than the other way around, and/or not claimed anything at all before seeing Captain K get vigged.  A mason claim should be sufficient to keep someone alive, at least in the early game, since it's provable and testable later on.  This would have been the smart play in the situation.
- Town could have considered the possibility that indeed there were two doctor masons, and/or that Yakko was scum trying to get a quick Eph lynch.  The latter wouldn't have worked out so well, but in general it's a smarter idea to lynch a counterclaim first.

Similarly, on the scum side, scum had an inherent incentive to send their lone man on the kill - they didn't know who he was, and were explicitly told he had no protection against accidentally being killed by his buddies!  Even barring that, Bus Driver is a very, very powerful scum role that can sow a lot of confusion and obfuscate the usefulness of many town roles.  If Andrew had chosen to bus people and let Cid do the killing, scum would have had a much, much better chance at winning.

I am pretty satisfied with how the setup turned out, overall.  There was still a decent element of old fashioned scum hunting, but for the most part the role game was most important and playing the role game well (or at least better than the other guys) was required for any faction to succeed.

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2008, 03:41:14 AM »
Alex, the part that bugs me isn't that you did say that the mason thing wasn't trustable.  It's that you said that, DIDN'T say anything about the doc part, and then the doc part was the part I couldn't really trust.  If you're going to go so far as to specifically throw doubt on one part, but you don't say anything about the other, than I assume that you would have said something if there was a chance the other has something wrong with it. 

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2008, 03:42:36 AM »
Since its the cool thing to do...

You are the Pokemon Trainer, Town Watcher!

Your Pokemon may do the fighting for you... but you're always standing in the back, yourself.  Waiting.  Watching.

Every night, you pick a player to watch, and will be informed of the identities of anyone else who targets that player with an action that night.  You may pick any player to watch, including yourself.

You are NOT a watcher/tracker and you do NOT see if your target performs any night actions themselves.

Be warned that your watching may not be infallible!  Other roles may have properties that counter it.

Minor Power:  Once during the game, you may ##Triple Finish instead of ##Voting someone.  This will count as three votes, and will automatically smashvote someone if it sends them over 100% damage.

You win with the town when all threats to the town are dead.

Please respond to this either via PM or IRC or whatever method suits you, so long as I get it, with confirmation of your role and your night 0 action.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Bardiche

« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2008, 03:53:23 AM »
This sure was a hectic game! Most games I played before this were much lighter, and much less essay posts. I was completely overwhelmed by this.

Rat offered an aftergame discussion. I do want to get a laydown on the following:

JOKEVOTES - When and in what spirit? Any rules to this?

PRESSURE VOTES - See above.

Quoting myself. halp pls

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 15, 2008, 03:59:07 AM »
It's not like there are rules set in stone here. But you can generally count on things to be total silliness until everyone's posted at least once.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 15, 2008, 04:02:31 AM »
Doc and cop sanities are - to me, at least, and especially in large games - assumed to be inherently untrustworthy.  I guess that's just differing views/experiences/whatnot.

LIES I TOLD TOWN:
2 cops, both insane
1 of the doctors was naive
Minor abilities were all over the place.  Most did nothing.  A couple of them were, as Bard pointed out during the game, rather notable powers that were originally part of their assigned roles, like a oneshot roleblock.  I listed these as minor powers in a couple of cases if they fit the character rolled, to intentionally obfuscate the definition of what was and was not a minor power so that people couldn't speculate on this, which I considered a requirement to have minor powers in the game at all.
And... that's really it.

If you look at some of the roles, you can see clear traces of ones I made to fit certain characters, before it was decided that characters would be selectable and open.  Ciato/Dedede for example was going to be Peach. 

Pichu was Pichu, it was entirely coincidence that QR picked Pikachu and got it.
Likewise Tai picked Kirby and got... Kirby.