Author Topic: Super Mafia Bros Brawl - Game Topic (GAME OVER)  (Read 68628 times)

Bardiche

Re: Super Mafia Bros Brawl - Game Topic (GAME OVER)
« Reply #650 on: June 15, 2008, 04:03:13 AM »
The reason I ask is because when I pressure voted you, Rat lashed out on me that I was being totally wrong and almost wanted to lynch me.

I want to avoid such a scenario in the future. I want to be lynched for being suspicious, not for misinterpreting the game.

Taishyr

« Reply #651 on: June 15, 2008, 04:05:34 AM »
Bardichecanon: Jokevotes tend to last until everyone votes. If there is no pressing time limit, I feel pressure votes are fine. Others of course disagree.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 15, 2008, 04:12:04 AM »
Regarding stages, the ones you saw are almost all of the ones I had planned.  If discussion really, REALLY stalled in the early/midgame I would have sent you to Rumble Falls, which had the concealed ability of "Anyone who doesn't post for 24 hours without giving a valid excuse for their impending absence dies."

Edit - any certain LYLO day would be on Final D, that was your rather obvious LYLO warning.  Technically the Luigi's Mansion day here could have been LYLO but only if town lynched wrong, scum successfully killed a townie and Strago successfully vigged a different townie that night.

The real time based effects (Lip's Stick being the first item, threat of Falls, Norfair's random damage) were there as my thinly veiled way of imposing a deadline on days in the early game without actually, yknow, imposing a deadline.  Lip's Stick served its purpose well, and the others thankfully weren't needed.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 15, 2008, 04:13:27 AM »
Oh yes, let me also express my amusement at the vile furries being scum and a miller. Sometimes even Hatbot knows the score.

Taishyr

« Reply #654 on: June 15, 2008, 04:16:11 AM »
What other ways did I have to get hats?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 15, 2008, 04:23:01 AM »
What other ways did I have to get hats?

Inhaling Brawl characters that weren't in the game.

Taishyr

« Reply #656 on: June 15, 2008, 04:40:30 AM »
Ah. I see. Any fun abilities that would have resulted from that?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 15, 2008, 04:52:28 AM »
Not really.  I didn't think you'd actually do it and if you did I would have made something appropriate and mostly meaningless up on the spot.  Like Boo messaging.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 15, 2008, 05:07:17 AM »
What items would I have gotten on later nights?
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 15, 2008, 05:09:21 AM »
Also seconding the call for what other planned stage ideas were. Also what exactly Final Destination did.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: June 15, 2008, 05:13:09 AM »
Golden Hammer (says it attempts to vig someone but is actually squeaky and useless), Star Rod (1 shot sanity guaranteed cop), Deku Nut (1 shot roleblock), Heart (1 shot doc), Super Scope (masons with someone for 1 day).  Lip's Stick was guaranteed on night zero, past that I rolled randomly from the list.

Fnorder, look up for stage info.  Final Destination had no effect, other than being an implicit LYLO warning.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 15, 2008, 05:23:17 AM »
Ah, sorry. Nicely done, that~

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 15, 2008, 05:24:18 AM »
Also what would have the sticky bomb done if it had been able to go off?

Also, would I only have been able to masonize someone of the town?

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 15, 2008, 05:54:32 AM »
You are Pink Luigi, Town Awesome Dayvig!

Using your pure essence of masculinity and a properly spaced up-B, you may ##PinkLuigiSmashvote anyone at any time, once per day, to immediately KO them without ending the day, because you're just that good.

You win with the town when all threats to the town have been KO'd.

Naaah, that's not quite awesome enough.  How about this:

You are actually Pink Luigi, Scum Daykilling Godfather!  This is a complex role, please read carefully!

You've had enough of playing second fiddle and having green be the primary Luigi color.  It's time to step up and step out.

You are the leader of the primary scum faction.  Your henchmen are Evil Tom (Link/Dark Link, Roleblocker with oneshot Governor), AndrewRogue (Toon Link/Dark Toon Link, Bus Driver) and an unknown fourth member.

Unknown fourth member?  Unknown fourth member!  Somewhere in the game, one other player is aligned with you and will be attempting to help you win.  They know the identities of their partners in crime (you, Tom and Andrew), but you don't know who they are, or what powers they may have, and you have no way of directly communicating with them, nor vice versa. 

You CAN try to drop hints and communicate subtly with them in the thread, since they know who you are.  They will probably be trying to do likewise, so you should watch out for that.  However, certain powerful members of the town who know that a lone, disconnected scum exist, and will also be on the lookout for such signals, so you should try to be circumspect about it.  (And if someone openly reveals this fact to the entire town, they're either your man or a power role, so...)

You have the typical perks of being the Godfather, namely pinging as though you were town to cops and being immune to most (though not necessarily all) nightkills.  You also have final authority on scum night actions, especially on the choice of who to kill and who to send killing.

As usual, the scum member sent to make the nightkill forfeits taking any other action that night, and if you do it yourself you lose your cop and kill immunity for that night.  Of special note, however, is that you may choose to send your unknown fourth member to perform the kill.  If you opt to do this, you may NOT also tell them who to kill - the fourth member will have to make that decision entirely on their own.  They will also forfeit their other night actions, if they have any. 

What's the upside to doing this?  Well, you don't know who your fourth member is, so sending them on the kill is the only way to be certain you aren't accidentally killing them yourself!  They also may or may not have powers that will assist them in making the kill, whereas you're sure none of the three known members do.

You have one final option with regards to the scumkill.  As stated above in your fake PM, you may choose to fake being a dayvig and openly KO someone during the day.  However, the cost of doing so is steep:  The scum must have chosen NOT have killed anyone during the previous night, AND they forfeit not only the following night's kill but all other night actions for that night, including those of your fourth member and your own godfather status.  Use the fake dayvig gambit with extreme caution!

You win when everyone who isn't aligned with your scum faction is KO'd, or when nothing can prevent the same.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 15, 2008, 06:05:37 AM »
And now, the rest of the story.

Yep, I screwed up big time day 1 with the rolefishing.  The ironic part?  It really *was* an innocent mistake.  I was trying to be a good little productive Townie and it bit me in the ass.  Believe me, I heard about it from my teammates.  I think most people were eventually willing to let it slide as a mistake, if it weren't for Yakumo being so doggedly persistent.

Needless to say, Day 1 was a nailbiter.  We queried Alex in scumchat about all the legal actions we could take (i.e., dayvig+regular Smash).  QuietRain vigging Eph and Yakumo's self-destruct helped slow things down, and I was able to survive until Soppy was over 100% for the doublekill.  There was much Taunting and pressing of the 1 button by scum as we celebrated killing 4 Townies in 1 day.  We were even discussing using EvilTom's Governor power to keep me alive an extra day for demoralizing purposes.

And then EvilTom dies in Night 1.

Ho. Lee. Fuck.  Talk about an instant turnaround from winning to losing.  I could have dayvigged again on Day 2, but it wouldn't change the net number of kills, and it would deprive the two remaining scum of their powers that night.

And here's where not knowing the identity of our fourth scum killed us.  My assumption was that it was Taishyr, based on his ##inhale flavor text that he was "looking for hats".  Seemed pretty obvious that he was our fourth member looking for us.  I asked Andrew to make the nightkill, so that Tai could use whatever his power was to help.  It seemed like a good plan for awhile, especially when we saw Tai was a jailer.

So now I ask Cid, did you drop *any* hints to us?  Because if you did, none of us caught them.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 15, 2008, 06:08:11 AM »
Also what would have the sticky bomb done if it had been able to go off?

Also, would I only have been able to masonize someone of the town?

1.  Inflict 100% damage instantly.  It's a chaotic item and, if you think about it, nearly guaranteed not to land on scum, since if it ever came to them they could figure out how it works and how to pass it around.  Not a good idea to use something that random.
2.  No, you could masonize anyone you wanted to.  Alignment not guaranteed, talk at your own risk.  That would have been fun and it's a shame you didn't draw it.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 15, 2008, 06:14:03 AM »
Captain, you were the very first person he shot for 1% damage on day 1.  I honestly thought you'd figure it out as soon as he did that, too.  >_>

The lone gunman scum was, of course, originally Pink Luigi, with the 1% taunt (intended to be used as a buddy signal), ZA WARUDO preventing flips and following his brother for rolecoppery.  I was very tempted to swap the scum roles around, but eh.  Godfather Pink Luigi is fine too.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 15, 2008, 06:14:33 AM »
You're lucky, Cap. You ninja'd me smashvoting you.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 15, 2008, 06:40:39 AM »
So now I ask Cid, did you drop *any* hints to us?  Because if you did, none of us caught them.

A few. You were the first person I voted for, I randomly referred to you as "mon capitan" once ("My captain;" I guess no one on the scum team has watched enough Star Trek to randomly know this, but I was hoping it would click with the fact that you were the Godfather--yeah, I knew all your roles, even though you didn't know mine), and there's also this:

Captain K., I see it being basically suicidal to do so without the ability to back up the claim. Hence my bafflement at at your conjecture. Comparing risk and reward, it simply does not seem worth it. That's the fakeclaiming scenario, at least. Now, a daykilling scum role isn't something I can remember seeing before. This is a strange game, so perhaps I shouldn't rule it out, but I do think it unlikely. In any event, I'll be convinced when I see QR's claim in action.

Now bolded for emphasis. I knew, of course, that there was a daykilling scum role in the game and was hoping you'd pick up on such a random comment (since, y'know, it described your role). I dunno, maybe I expected you guys to be going over things with a fine-toothed comb. I didn't want to be any more obvious than this because I knew some townie was aware of there being a disconnected scum player.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 15, 2008, 06:51:19 AM »
Watching this game was HI-LARI-OUS. Flavor was awesome, and the unique mechanics were quite intriguing. I knew who scum was 'cause Andrew told me, but I had no clue who the mysterious fourth was.

... I randomly referred to you as "mon capitan" once ("My captain;" I guess no one on the scum team has watched enough Star Trek to randomly know this, but I was hoping it would click with the fact that you were the Godfather--yeah, I knew all your roles, even though you didn't know mine), ...

I gotta say.

Setting aside the reference to Star Trek, referring to someone named Captain K. as "mon capitan" does not immediately trigger me to think you knew he was Godfather. It looks like a cute way to refer to his handle, which is... yes... Captain. XD

I'm not entirely sure how you could've signaled without being picked up by the cop who knew you were going to want to be signaling, but I gotta say that it was darn hard to pick out the difference between normal Mafia and paranoia/buddy-seeking. Out of context, who you voted for, who you shot first with your minor ability, and cute names which coincidentally matched with the player's own name,  ... none of that looks the least bit triggering.

Joke vote was the best time to get things out there. You can get away with some crazy things. I recall a game where one scum voted his scum buddy and meta-knowledged "Hahah, wouldn't it be epic if he actually were scum this time." Struck me as odd at the time, but it was so innocuous that it didn't hit the right side of suspicious. Cute.

Breadcrumbing is still an elusive art for me, I admit, so I might've been slower to pick up on things like that.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 15, 2008, 06:54:52 AM »
Captain, you were the very first person he shot for 1% damage on day 1.  I honestly thought you'd figure it out as soon as he did that, too.  >_>

No, he shot Soppy on Day 1.

And *facepalms*.  I am such a fucking idiot.  I misread my own PM and thought that our mystery scum was like a limited mason.  I thought he didn't know our identities and had to find us first.  Hence my fixation on Tai's inhaling.

I officially accept all responsibility for this scum loss.

Note to future scum players:  send copies of your PMs to your scumbuddies!

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #671 on: June 15, 2008, 07:32:32 AM »
Because it's all the rage:
First Role PM:
You are Pikachu, Town.... wait, what?

You are actually Pichu, Town Awesome Super Dayvig of Cute!

Yeah, that's right.  You may look like Pikachu in Brawl, but underneath you're the mightiest warrior to ever set paw in the Smash series.  Any day, anytime, you may ##Pichu Dance: Player X and player X will be immediately KO'd.  This will end the day, and you will of course be exposed as Pichu, so you might want to be careful about doing it recklessly.  You may continue to dance on subsequent days, assuming you live to do so...

Minor Power:  Pichuuuuu  ;_;
Effect:  You suffer the downside of being Pichu, namely dying to a stiff breeze.  ANY ##Smashvote cast on you, EVER, will immediately KO you and end the day, regardless of any other factors like whether you happen to have any damage (votes) on you or not.  What's more, it doesn't even take a Smashvote to do you in - you will also be KO'd instantly if you reach 100% damage, ever, via any means.

Your frail durability will become obvious when you are outed as Pichu, and the scum may be informed of your weaknesses, so it's probably a good idea to claim as Pikachu and keep your true identity hidden until the time is right.

You win with the town when all threats to the town have been KO'd.

Please respond to this message via PM, IRC, beating Gate into doing it for you, or whatever else suits your fancy, confirming receipt of role.

Followed by:
Already I have made the first mistake of the game! 

ROLE ERRATA:  Daykilling someone with Pichu Dance will NOT end the day!

Now, All I have to say is: pi-CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*sizzlescorch* to Captain K for taking me out in day 1.  *grin*  Evil.  I was enjoying the madness for a change. hehe.  Good game town!  Happy for winning, even if I didn't make it to the end. 
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 15, 2008, 08:07:01 AM »
Game notes:

Alex is the man as usual. Once again restoring my faith in the ability to make a fun, close role madness game.

Roles were fun, and frankly? I think the couple of trap roles were definitely an offsetting force to all the crazy roles. Shit happens but thems the breaks.

My role was pretty fabulous although it looks like I didn't get the neato stuff. Alas.

Giving the scum the option to daykill is something I think is very neat. Strago hitting scum Night 1 was really great for us, I have no clue how the game would have turned out otherwise.

Poor Excal. Only vanilla townie in the game. *smacks him for the day 2 post* I understand your frustration buddy, but~

CARTHRAT I LOVE YOU LONG TIME

The night after I died was hilarious. Too many people listened to my final ranting. I guess borrowing the Mind Control Ray finally paid off.

El-Cid was brilliant. Good show, friend.

Bardiche, you definitely need to continue playing. I think some logical leaps were made on your part but it's somethign that can be fixed with more experience. I'm really glad that you actually got into the game, unlike some of the other new people. (I'd love to see Ryogo play again too!)

I am really glad my kill on Tai didn't work. <_< Man~

PIIIIIIIIIIIIIICHUUUUUUUUUUU~! Can't believe awesome lady QR died Day 1. ;_;

*hugs Eph*

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 15, 2008, 08:12:46 AM »
Oh, and Shale needs to post his role PM. <_<

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 15, 2008, 08:57:44 AM »
My busdriving targets were picked with an eye towards protection in general. Hilariously enough, on the last day, I said to Alex just before going to have a shower "Hey Alex switch Cid/Bardiche locked in please", you were all lucky he decided to confirm with me before going through with it.

I was really hoping to misle scum into killing themselves, but alas~

Bardiche: Take what I say with a grain of salt really because I am no scumhunting genius, I'm the local authority in *being* scum, not finding them. Well, apart from Andrew and Cid (goddamit Cid I feel your pain so much). When it comes to making accusations I tend to... inflate things that should not be inflated when making a case. @_@

Anyway, I see day one in mafia as a time for wild accusations and building patently ridiculous cases on people, just to see who bites and see what happens. I have a number of tactics up my sleeve for this, I'm gonna diversify in future games. >_>

I generally take a dim view of 'pressure' votes later in the game. At least, if you make it obvious they are pressure votes- this is because I don't see these votes as really being genuine. A better way to make someone speak is to make like you're really going to lynch them.

I take a hyperaggressive route towards playing in general *just so* nobody knows exactly how angry I am at someone or how badly I want them lynched. Behaving the same way every time has perks. >_>

CIATO I AM SORRY SO SO SORRY I was actually all set to unvote her when I got up that morning, but alas, hammer :V

<->

All in all this game was pretty fun, I hope it rekindled some interest in mafia in general! Looking forward to the next game as always~
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?