Register

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 299306 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Movies
« Reply #1800 on: January 14, 2013, 07:05:57 AM »
Wait, they made Kingdom Come into a movie?!

*research*
Oh.  There was another Superman vs The 90s story.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Idun

« Reply #1801 on: January 14, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »
Brave - I don't know what to say, honestly. It wasn't a bad movie, it wasn't a great movie, but it got its point across pretty well... Mm, I really thought the artistry was great: beautiful rendering of foliage in dark & light scenes, etc. Her naps of hair are great (& real to boot - everyone supposedly has different textures in different spots w/o alterations); animation team did great on the gestures and texture!

I suppose I just couldn't get into Merida's character because I am so used to Merida's character in films, she was pretty boring. Father was -there-; I suppose the parts I liked most was her mother's becoming scenes... really thought about Land Before Time in the final scene, which is awkward since they were dinosaurs, and it was.. Oh, it -was- the mother, not the grandmother? I don't know, I don't Google everything I say. Someone can correct me.

The Campaign - funny movie. Very good scenes. Not a CF fan, but I loved his part in the campaign office. I am a Marty fan, because I know several Marty's of the south. Find the irony of this being in North Carolina -hilarious-. Wonder how far this humor gets in telling real people that they're stupid. . .

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: January 14, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »

*research*

From what I understand, Kingdom Come is more "the 90s vs. Itself"
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Idun

« Reply #1803 on: January 15, 2013, 04:37:49 AM »
Anyone seen Django Unchained? I don't plan on seeing it, no, not because I'm black and have angst towards Tarantino. His movies are generally boring to me - great characters, great dialogue, bad pacing, bad shots, bad panning. . .

Just did a quick google, and of course there is hooplah over the film, n word, slavery, and for some fucking odd reason - Spike Lee. He is a spitting image of the older generation of living blacks that simply see the word as disrespectful -- not because a white man uses it, but because it too often defines black characters and types in films. (Sidenote next to this sidenote: hope someone with patience actually writes on this topic of the generational divide between blacks on popular media)

I'll see it when I don't have to pay for it, but if someone has had a positive experience, that only encourages me to see it sooner. It's got good ratings at least, but so do most of his movies that I just can't stand watching. He should really write books, or get into it. Not sure it translates that easily, but it's just a suggestion.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: January 15, 2013, 05:11:33 AM »

*research*

Kingdom Come is Superman vs. the Rob Liefeld 90s.  What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way? is Superman vs. the Warren Ellis 90s.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: January 15, 2013, 05:17:20 AM »
If you don't like Tarantino movies as a rule I wouldn't bother myself.  I have only heard good things from the sources I trust (that like Tarantino movies).

I will be watching it when it comes out down here and let you know I guess.

Just go watch Looper instead or something.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1806 on: January 18, 2013, 12:05:08 AM »
Just go watch Looper instead or something.

If time is a factor, watch the short version.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 19, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »
Django was a fun movie, but I think the most fun I got out of this experience was watching my girlfriend's expressions.

You see, she really does not like graphic movies. Scary movies and anything with gore and blood aren't really her style.

So when she told me she wanted to watch this film, I smiled in my pants.

When we sat down in the theater, I whispered in her ear, "You do realize this film is going to be filled with blood and guts right?"

Her eyes widened, and after the initial scene I could hardly contain my laughter. I think she had her hands covering her eyes for most of the film.

Good times.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 21, 2013, 12:52:20 AM »
The Last Stand:  He's back.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:25 AM »
Rise of the Guardians:  Better than I was expecting.  Nice feel-good movie.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: January 29, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
Hansel and Gretal: With Hunters: Bwhahahaha, this was great.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: January 30, 2013, 04:02:59 AM »
Hansel and Gretal was so bad that it was almost good. The cast (Especially Famke Janssen) is chewing scenery so hard and fast that you barely notice how bad the plot is. Said plot is literally every Hollywood film stereotype rolled into one.

That said, any film that has a holy water blessed machine gun mowing down witches is an entertaining film.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: January 30, 2013, 04:10:59 AM »
I've now seen The Hobbit in IMAX 3D twice, and have nothing much to say about it.

I think that says about enough.

(Oh. Except that I still like Martin Freeman no matter what.)
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 01, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
I really should post here more often...

Anyway, most of the time, I don't see movies I want to see, and get stuck seeing ones I have no desire to see...can't remember them all, but...

How to Train Your Dragon - Good overall.  Nice kids movie, and I like how there's a consequence at the end for the hero.  Makes it realistic.

Couples Retreat - Just...it's exactly what you'd expect.  The actors feel kind of wasted (seriously, Steve Carrell, Tommy Lee Jones...really feel like they could have done a lot more).  It's...not bad, but it's going to go exactly the way you think it will.

Birdemic - Hahahahahaha oh god this was awesomely awful. 

Sex and the City - Like an extended episode of the show.  Which means it's good.  But...really, a movie?  Definitely feels like it was planned for the series finale, but just got made into a movie instead for more money. 

Sex and the City 2 - Annnnnnnnnddddd this is why you don't go beyond the series finale (i.e., the first movie).  Just stretched way beyond what it should have been, and stupid, and I can definitely see why it was considered offensive at some points.  Also, Samantha is a terrible person and I wish she would have died of breast cancer (damnit, why couldn't if have been T4N3M1?!  Stupid lucky bitch..).  Even the movie's cover poster looks stupid.

Les Miserables - Holy shit.  Uh...wow.  This is probably the best adaptation of a musical to the movies I have ever seen...and...I honestly think it may be better.  It is excellent.  All the actors do great (seriously, BORAT can SING!?) - none of them are voice trained, but I think that helps - a few imperfections in the voices make the song so much more meaningful.  Some songs are cut (Dog Eat Dog...but who the fuck cares), some are moved around (I Dreamed a Dream and Do You Hear the People Sing come later) and some are shorted (Turning and Empty Chairs are combined into a song shorter than either of them originally were), but all of it WORKS.  My only real complaint is that there are a lot of close-ups.  Like, a lot - several scenes and songs (i.e., What Have I Done) are entirely close-ups.  It's not even a major complaint - it really lets you see the emotion better - but it would have been nice to see a bit more of the scenery (which is excellent).  Also, the title is still mis-leading - Anne Hathaway is miserable, but she bisexual at best.  Seriously, though, see this movie.  It is excellent, especially if you like theatre like me.

Eat, Pray, Love - I've talked about this before, but I saw it playing on TV the other day, and feel it needs to be re-iterated again: it sucks ass.  Cracked's Photoplasty says it best: http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_370_tiny-changes-that-would-have-saved-terrible-movies_p21/#3

Really looking to go see Warm Bodies this weekend, and still need to see Wreck-it-Ralph
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 02, 2013, 12:02:42 AM »
Resident Evil Degenration (...I think it's this one? damn movies and their subtitles): Saw this because it came with RE6, which I was getting rid of and I want full money's worth!

Movie is basically just Claire finds herself in a zombie outbreak in an Airport, government sends SWAT team to deal with it and a SECRET SPECIAL AGENT on top of that, who of course is Leon S. Kennedy because IT'S LEON DON'T ARGUE, then they proceed to a Pharmaceutical company where a giant monstrosity appears because they need a final boss.

...throughout the entire movie, I was basically asking "So...why wasn't this turned into a game?"  In hindsight, I can see; the plot makes too much sense for an RE game.  Guy comes up with Vaccine to stop the T-Virus, but then finds a way to make a huge profit off it by selling it to other countries, and helping causing outbreaks.  He uses some other terrorist dude to hide this fact.  Said dude uses G-Virus that they had in said company because they need a final boss.

It's mindless entertainment, nonetheless, and somehow more relevant in the continuity than RE3...not that this is hard.  That said, a movie I could have not seen and not cared about missing anything, but damn it, I got it in the package so I'm making use of it!  That's more than can be said about my free FF7 Advent Children UMD that came with Dissidia <_<

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: February 02, 2013, 05:43:26 AM »
I heard Leon was written wildly different from RE4 for no good reason. It wouldn't surprise me?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: February 02, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »
I heard Leon was written wildly different from RE4 for no good reason. It wouldn't surprise me?

He doesn't crack jokes because there's no Spanish napoleon to laugh at. 

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: February 02, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »
Yeah, sadly Leon is played straight as basically just "Hard Ass Super Special Awesome Agent Dude" and not much else.  this is still more personality than you get out of Chris Redfield on average though...

I guess one thing the movie did right was present Claire as a competent character while not being a bitch about it either, so...props to that?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: February 03, 2013, 06:12:08 AM »
I don't actually know, it's just something I heard on the internet?

I do like that Chris has more of a personality in MvC3 than he does anything else though.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: February 03, 2013, 06:58:29 AM »
The Maltese Falcon: Caught this, haven't seen it before. Fantastic movie. The Big Lebowski cribs sooooo much from it it's not even funny. Still, good stuff.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: February 03, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
Oscar Animated Shorts: "Adam and Dog" or "Paperman" are pretty clearly going to be the winners. What the fuck "Fresh Guacamole" is doing in there is another question.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: February 09, 2013, 11:45:18 PM »
Clerks: Finally saw this after putting it off for...well, too long!

Not much to say about the movie other than Dante is a douche, and Randal is a total waste of human life. 

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: February 15, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »
Beautiful Creatures:  Very good.  The young male lead is quite charming;  I think we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the future.  Haven't read the book but apparently it's quite a bit different.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: February 17, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
Clerks: Finally saw this after putting it off for...well, too long!

Not much to say about the movie other than Dante is a douche, and Randal is a total waste of human life.

Congratulations for understanding the basic thrust of the film.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: February 17, 2013, 09:11:09 PM »
Oh, I'm totally aware that's literally all there is to the movie, I just felt like I had to say SOMETHING other than "I saw Clerks".