imageRegister

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 299345 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #2350 on: July 24, 2015, 01:30:05 PM »
appropriate for Zenny's tiny genitalia

FINALLY

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: July 24, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »
Yeah
And yeah I actually haven't seen Ant-Man (and don't really plan to anyway)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: July 25, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
Get the Gringo: A lot of fun. Mel Gibson did a fantastic job in the movie, and it was really well shot and paced.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: July 27, 2015, 05:27:07 PM »
Men in Black 3: Didn't know what to expect going in given I've heard reviews ranging from "it's a fun romp" to "it's a total waste of time."

Overall? I had fun.  At an 1:40 minutes, it doesn't overstay it's welcome, kept me entertained, and that's really all I wanted out of the movie.  That said, I have no real desire to see it again since it's very much a "once and done" kind of movie, but hey, it was fun for what it was.  Not as good as the original, but better than the 2nd.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: August 07, 2015, 02:17:39 AM »
Dragon Ball Z Resurrection F: Fun times, if a much more conventional movie than Battle of Gods.  Overall I agree with the assessment that the ending was a let down and cop out.  They're building up this idea throughout that would have made for a different ending solution to the ending namely Goku and Vegita as a team are way stronger individually, and both combined defeat Frieza but instead just went with the typical ending.  Otherwise, fun action, more Beerus and Whiis is always a riot, and Jaco was a far funnier addition than expected.

I guess one other thing that bugs me is "where the hell was Buu during this fight?"  Seriously, they account for all the other potential warrior, and even mention Buu twice in a way that'd highly suggest he should have been there, but nope! Would have made a lot more sense than Master Roshi, that's for sure.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: August 08, 2015, 11:48:59 PM »
Frankly I found Ant-man better than Avengers 1.

Well not quite but damn this movie is *fun*.  The cast is great, the dialogue works (certainly less cringe-worthy than Avengers 2), and I could frankly watch an entire movie with no superheroes and just Michael Pena.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: August 10, 2015, 05:20:07 AM »
Despicable Me 2: Saw it.  Too much wasted time with Minions doing stupid worthless nonsense like partying, and took away from having actual plot, gags, etc.  I have nothing against Minions, and there are even times they have been used outright great and add to the movie, but there were too many filler segments of them that gave a "get on with it!" moment.

To the movie's credit?  I liked how they mostly sidestepped the issue of "the girls want a mother :(" by making it kind of just a side thing that got brought up in passing.  In fact, outside of Agnes just being completely unmotivated to do her Mother's Day part because she has no mother, it never really came up.  It establishes pretty early that Gru and the girls are pretty happy as a family, and there's nothing they really want, per se, and I appreciate them avoiding that cliched "single parent" scenario by showing that while it's not the greatest of things, kids can be overall happy with one parent. 

In any event, overall worse than the original movie.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 10, 2015, 06:52:40 PM »
I half-watched the first Despicable Me when it was playing in a class I was subbing for (between bouts of assisting the minority of students who were actually studying for an exam; it was the end of the school year) and remember being much more interested in Gru and the kids than I was the minions. I think the minions may be the kind of characters who only work for children.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 10, 2015, 08:23:56 PM »
Pretty much.  The Minions are fine in short doses, and they can be used in clever ways that are funny, but generally, the good parts of both movies were centered around Gru and the girls.  Makes sense really since they're actual characters with qualities and traits, while minions are a one note gag of "incompetent little guys who exist to be the butt end of jokes."  The stuff the 2nd movie does with those characters is generally fine, just there's less of it in favor of more minions in what I believe is a similar run time.

And yeah, agree they're probably meant to be for the kids, which basically means the movie Minions would be something aimed specifically for kids, contrast to the movies they spun off from which feel more general audience.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:28:09 PM by Meeplelard »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 11, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »
I fell asleep during fantastic four.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2360 on: August 13, 2015, 03:43:28 AM »
God I hope Fant4stic bombs financially as well as critically so that perhaps one day Marvel will get the rights back and we can see a GOOD movie of my favorite superhero team.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 13, 2015, 04:32:57 AM »
Even with it bombing currently Fox is still going ahead with a sequel.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2362 on: August 13, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »
Please tell me you're trolling...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2363 on: August 13, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
God forbid they let the rights revert even though it's cost them money every single time.

That or they operate under the delusion that if they hold on tight enough they might get a sweet partnership like Sony got for Spider-Man.  Not knowing that somewhat like the X-Men, the Fantastic Four are in many ways better off doing their own thing rather than being part of a larger universe.  But to do that justice you have to NOT MAKE IT A SUPER HERO MOVIE.

Like I don't think I even want a MCU Fantastic Four movie.  I just want Doctor DOOM in the MCU.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: August 13, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
All it has to do is become one of the highest grossing movies of all time to offset the first one's cost and the eventual cost of the second one.  I totally believe they can reap 800 million dollars and beat out nearly every movie in the MCU with a sequel to a movie panned by everyone ever.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2365 on: August 14, 2015, 04:49:44 AM »
20th Century Fox hates Marvel enough at this point that they'll take the loss every time they expire.  They let Daredevil expire and Marvel made something great out of it; nobody there wants to be the next Guy Who Let Those Rights To The Good Thing Go

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2366 on: August 14, 2015, 05:37:12 AM »
Honestly, a F4 Netflix series would probably be pretty awesome. Terrible effects aside, the F4 are just begging for a sitcom-esque setup.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 14, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »
Now I'm imagining the hundreds of ways that can get cosmically screwed up.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: August 14, 2015, 06:00:28 PM »
"Reed dear, can you go talk to our next-door neighbor Mr. Doom? I keep finding pieces of his robots in the yard."

"Johnny would you take out the trash?"
"FLAME ON! Okay, I took it out!"

"It's clobberin time!"
"Well I guess that counts as a strike, Ben. But did you have to take out the wall of the bowling alley?"

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2369 on: August 15, 2015, 04:08:01 AM »
Add a laugh track and it'd totally work.  :P

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: August 15, 2015, 06:59:46 AM »
Like I don't think I even want a MCU Fantastic Four movie.  I just want Doctor DOOM in the MCU.

^This, basically!

Ant-Man:  Finally saw this.  It's fun and good stuff!  Love the way they played with size and perspective.  My one gripe is yeah, the forced MCU references got a bit jarring.  Having Agent Carter or saying stuff like "we should call the Avengers"?  Sure, fine, but the one scene mid-movie felt forced and "SAME UNIVERSE SEE!?" I get they're trying to establish where he is on the totem, per se, but there had to be other ways to establish that.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2371 on: August 15, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »
Jurassic World: hey this was much better than expected! A solid above average action horror type flick. There are a few problems but upon just watching it, it was pretty intense and engaging. Probably the only part that I particularly noticed as being kinda bad was how heavy handed its message was. I get it, tampering with nature EVEN MORE than it took to just un-extinct dinosaurs is BAD! But damn if it didn't make for a great villain presence. Serial Killer Dinosaur is a great premise. Glad JP finally got a worthwhile sequel.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2372 on: August 15, 2015, 09:32:26 PM »
Sure, fine, but the one scene mid-movie felt forced and "SAME UNIVERSE SEE!?" I get they're trying to establish where he is on the totem, per se, but there had to be other ways to establish that.

I actually liked that they gave Falcon some solo face time.  It makes him not being in the big fight at the end of AoU make more sense from a production standpoint.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: August 22, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »
Seeking a Friend for the end of the world- Strange film. It's a story about the end of the world that focuses around two very different people falling for each other. It worked for me, in large part because Steve Carrel and Kiera Knightley had really great chemistry together. That was not expected.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: August 22, 2015, 06:44:53 PM »
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - I don't have much of a history with this series, but this was really well made. For instance, the opera scene is particularly well directed, including all of the spy stuff you could possibly want as well as questions and turns in character intentions and you don't really have a sense of what's going to happen. I have not seen Rebecca Ferguson in anything before, but she is kind of a badass and she holds her own as Tom Cruise's equal, which is refreshing. If anything, Simon Pegg's character is the one who is damselized. He and Cruise work really well together (almost making Cruise seem human, which is a feat). The movie is over two hours long but it felt really well paced, with no one set piece overstaying its welcome. The plot itself is mostly fine but does a good job of making the stakes personal rather than about saving the world, and I tend to like those kinds of stories more.

*Tom Cruise's spine must have shattered into a billion pieces after bouncing in a car a billion times but Cruise just jumps out and does a Cruise run (you know the one) to a motorcycle.
*This movie has the line "Ethan Hunt is the living manifestation of destiny" which is absurd and I couldn't stop giggling. .
*Villain is kind of weird, I guess he's set up to be Hunt's foil and an equal but you don't really get that impression. The dude's voice is kind of weird, and I wonder if that's his actual voice or something put on.
*There's at least one Tom Cruise is short joke.
*Cruise's final plans to deal with the big bad was pretty well done, I thought.
*Tom Cruise himself is such a weird dude but he does do this style of action film very well, and I don't begrudge him doing these while he can (dude's like 50?). It makes me wonder what his post action career is going to be like.

People talk up Ghost Protocol, which was pretty good, but this amps up the stakes a lot more effectively and has a stronger supporting cast and villain (I don't even remember who Ghost Protocol's villain was).

The Gift - I don't know exactly what to feel about this. It's fairly well made, and I was surprised that Joel Edgerton was the director on it. It's pretty well acted and does a good job of creating tension and playing with your expectations (Jason Bateman has to be a nice guy, right?). However, it didn't really come together for me in the end since it does a lot of exposition. Like, everything is explained, leaving little about character motivation to the imagination.

The plot becomes very Oldboy-esque in the end. I did like how it plays on your sympathies and expectations, since the "stranger comes in and terrorizes a family unit" thing has been done so many times, and in the end it kind of still is that, but not quite in the way that you expect coming in. Bateman's character is pretty much unredeemable, and maybe that's kind of the point in a morality play like this, but he reverts to stereotypical bully behavior for no good reason (ACCEPT MY APOLOGY). Maybe he's just at a boiling point or something, but I think it works a little better if he does try to apologize in earnest and still gets what is coming to him. As is, he's completely irredeemable and I guess that is set up so we don't feel that bad when his life is completely fucked in the end? Your sympathies aren't really with Gordo either, since he's just an odd, creepy presence, and what he (might) have done is completely monstrous.

*Bateman is the shittiest at security, leaving physical files in a drawer where the key is in another compartment of the drawer.
*Bateman's reaction to meeting Gordo is really undersized given what he did to him. This makes some of the earlier scenes a little weird, like why would he even accept a dinner party invitation from him?
*Rebecca Hall does a pretty decent job and is pretty much the only sympathetic character but then is thrown aside in the last act. "I'm pregnant and have no more role but to be a pawn in this scheme!"
*The two jump scares are admittedly effective but really cheap. The shower scenes are Hitchcockian, playing on the expectation that nothing good can come of when a woman showers
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:33:18 PM by The Duck »