Author Topic: Movies  (Read 299397 times)

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
Re: Movies
« Reply #2800 on: December 13, 2016, 11:03:15 PM »
What's Up? Balloon to the Rescue: Damn you I Hate Everything for making me interested in bootleg garbage *shakes fist*. What's Up is a truly terrible and shameless cash-in on Pixar's Up, except the only similarity is that a balloon is featured. The voice acting is awful, the visuals are crude and some of the jokes are borderline xenophobic for a movie that was probably intended for toddlers. Still better than Shark Tale, if by a fraction.

Saving Private Ryan: Now for something that actually has some production value towards it. Saving Private Ryan is a great movie, though not quite as great as the rest of the world says it is. The film gives us enough insight towards the characters for us to care about their motivations (Upham can die though) and it manages to capture what many have stated to be an accruate depiction as to what combat was like during WW2 thanks to the excellent practical effects and camera work, although shaky cam was used more than I would've liked it to be.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2801 on: December 14, 2016, 04:25:52 AM »
I kind of liked the prequels after someone suggested that you could read it as Obi Wan actually had betrayed Anakin. Wait, lemme see if I can find a video about it.

Here it is. https://youtu.be/95JD0Y5CDfw

Somewhat pithy presentation, but it basically summarizes the theory and makes the whole experience more watchable.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: December 16, 2016, 08:41:11 PM »
So, I watched Civil War finally.

Y'all (not just you guys but literally the whole internet) shittin me right? This movie is way worse than Age of Ultron, and I even realize in hindsight that Ultron was not very good. To be fair, the major fault is the same in both movies, making their characters do really stupid things less because it makes sense and more because they needed a plot point to happen. Stark making Vision after Ultron turned out to be a disaster (for almost no payoff, even in Civil War), Stark going all apeshit on the winter soldier after finding out that he killed his parents even though just seconds before he said in plain English that he knew his actions were due to brainwashing... Actually, it seems to be mostly Stark, which would be fine if the movie wasn't asking us to believe that he's a genius otherwise.

tl;dr: Was not entertained.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:43:00 PM by Makkotah »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: December 16, 2016, 10:27:51 PM »
So, I watched Civil War finally.

Y'all (not just you guys but literally the whole internet) shittin me right? This movie is way worse than Age of Ultron, and I even realize in hindsight that Ultron was not very good. To be fair, the major fault is the same in both movies, making their characters do really stupid things less because it makes sense and more because they needed a plot point to happen. Stark making Vision after Ultron turned out to be a disaster (for almost no payoff, even in Civil War), Stark going all apeshit on the winter soldier after finding out that he killed his parents even though just seconds before he said in plain English that he knew his actions were due to brainwashing... Actually, it seems to be mostly Stark, which would be fine if the movie wasn't asking us to believe that he's a genius otherwise.

tl;dr: Was not entertained.

Hunter Sopko Likes this post.

Also the whole "No, you move." speech from Captain comes off way less as the importance of taking principled stands and more justifying being a petulant dick.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: December 16, 2016, 10:44:09 PM »
I will say that I do understand why my female and gay friends enjoyed the scene of Cap holding a helicopter to a building, though. Chris Evan's got some glamour muscles. Also, the Spiderman cameo was pretty neat and helps let their first Spiderman movie not be another fucking rehash of his origin story (i didn't even see the second time Fox did it because jfc), so it wasn't all bad. Just... lol, that ending was so terrible.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: December 18, 2016, 02:15:34 AM »
Saw Rogue One. I was pleased. For most of the movie, it feels like we're getting a Lower Decks look into the Star Wars universe. I appreciate this because it's nice to have a different perspective into an established world. While I'd agree with arguments that much of the heroic cast is fairly sketched-in, I do think there's enough of a start there for you to feel good about rooting for them, especially since they're pointedly not the people that make it into the history books--they're ordinary people who struggle to cling onto fragments of shattered lives while balancing daily survival against doing the right thing, often without any reliable guidance or support from someone in a position of authority. No one of them is going to go down as a classic character, but collectively I think it's a respectable representation of the beleaguered footslogger who helps make history without getting any of the glory for it. Their adversary is also completely appropriate: one of those ambitious gray mediocrities that scurry after dictators begging for scraps--the Eichmanns of the galaxy, only too happy to get force-choked by Vader if only it should mean they retain control over their own tiny scrap of turf. (Forest Whitaker, on the other hand, just breathes crazy, but he's one of those dudes who'd be impressive just reading from a dictionary.) Of course, the real danger is just malevolent architecture as always (justified here, for once: hey, the Empire doesn't want people accessing these files casually!)

So I was happy to see something new come out of a familiar property. This is maybe why the obligatory space battle is the least satisfying part of the film. But the director has an eye for composition, and it was often a rewarding film to look at even when (or especially when) nothing much was going on kinetically. I'd say the music also didn't rely on the past themes pretty much at all (barring end credits), but I may simply not remember any of the musical cues Giacchino used in The Force Awakens.

It was fun. It earned its ending.

CGI Peter Cushing was probably a mistake, though. The effectiveness of this really varies, as it's more or less convincing in different shots, but on the whole I think it constitutes a distraction that was perfectly avoidable. Would it really have been an unforgivable offense to just cast someone living in the same role? I'm pretty sure they also do this with some of the X-wing pilots at the end (duping the A New Hope Death Star assault crew), but it's harder to tell since things are moving faster there. (No Denis Lawson, though.)

First Star Wars movie without Wilhelm Scream?

No Bothans died to bring us this movie.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:18:25 AM by El Cideon »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: December 28, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »
Rogue One:  It starts pretty poorly, with cheesy scenes and dialogue ala Episode 7.  But when it ramps up, it ramps up hard.  Extremely enjoyable thrill ride that leaves you very satisfied at the end.  I'm going to go ahead and say that the CGI is the best of any movie to date.  I disagree with Cid about it being distracting.  You will not be able to tell that Peter Cushing didn't film these scenes in advance thirty years ago.  The Jedha scene is also crazy to watch.

Two complaints:
1.Vader's first scene is terrible.  The actor moves nothing like Vader and his costume looks bad.  End scene with him is good though.
2. Where the fuck are the Bothans?  Would have been easy enough to make the Rogue One redshirts Bothans, but they go with humans because lazy.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: December 28, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »
Peter Cushing CGI clone you can spot it around the mouth a bit I think, the lips don't really feel like they lift up off the teeth.  When you see it, it is hard to unsee it.  That said it is just 100% uncanny valley stuff and I am okay with it as an advancing technology (though I do need to process the ethics of using the likeness of a dead person to wholesale create new art, regardless of the will of the estate).

Also I expected some love for the 70s staches from you Cap.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2808 on: December 28, 2016, 10:39:21 PM »
Titanic: Watched this for the first time. If you want a movie that's the epitome of average, Titanic is it. Kate Winslet's great performance counterbalances how underwhelming Leonardo Dicaprio is, while the excellent screenplay evens out the laughable script. Still a better movie than what everyone makes Pearl Harbor out to be.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: December 29, 2016, 01:16:39 AM »
Complaint #2 is bad and you should feel bad, Cap.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: December 29, 2016, 03:20:40 AM »
I think at least one of your complaints will be dealt with in Rogue Two, Cap.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: December 29, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »
Saw Rogue 1, thoughts: in reverse order.

Upon watching the movie: This was a pretty good movie and I do not regret watching it, and frankly it seems to get Star Wars in a way that makes episode 7 look worse.  I have hopes that Episode 8 will be better now that ep. 7's retread of A New Hope is out of the director's system, but we'll see.  Still a lot of the action sequences near the end of Rogue 1 were kinda bleh, but the world felt inhabited and cohesive in a way that Star Wars hasn't felt in a long time.

Upon watching the trailers before the movie: holy shit, complaints that movies are increasingly conservative and inward-looking and banal...they seem to understate the case.  Lookin' at you Power Rangers.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: December 30, 2016, 06:03:14 PM »
Rogue One - Enjoyable. Not really one of the more memorable Star Wars movies, I'm quite confident I'd rank it below all but Episodes 1-2, but it does some neat things. Was not expecting -everyone- to die, that kinda makes the human cost of these things more real. For what it was, a prequel tale of the sacrifices made to acquire the death star plans, it delivered very well. I just wish more had been done with some of the characters. The movie sets up quite a few dramas but most end up irrelevant (e.g. Casian's assassination plot. Or how Krennic is basically irrelevant on the final planet which is a shame because I liked his villain setup for the reasons Cid said.).

I fall into the camp that was generally impressed by the CGI used to replicate Cushing/Fisher. I don't think I'd have suspected anything if I didn't know.

Props for the racial diversity in the casting, too.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2813 on: December 30, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »
I think I commented somewheres (either on Twitter or to Snowfire in chat, couldn't tell you which right now) but it did feel to some extent that they had enough writing/personality for two main characters then had to chop it up to spread among 5 main characters.  What we actually get on screen for the main cast just isn't quite enough relative to the size of the cast, for all they got good actors who try to fill in some of those gaps (Felicity Jones does a lot with her eyes; like, when she's being rescued in the first scene she just radiates "I will kill you the moment your back is turned", which makes perfect sense for a sometime child soldier and gives you a good sense of where she starts the movie.)  This also has the drawback of making the ending feel belabored though.  Like you go into the movie knowing that it's entirely possible a bunch of the cast will be killed off, right?  So when K2-SO dies you kinda go "Okay yeah nobody is leaving this movie alive", but then each character has to have a fully drawn out dramatic death which doesn't feel entirely earned because they stretched the character moments so thin.  I've definitely seem some mixed opinions on the movie and a few cases of outright dislike, and I think it mostly comes back to that.

Being the sort of Star Wars nerd I am I can't not love a movie that gives us visceral ground-level shots of what staring down an AT-AT or watching the Death Star appear over the horizon or seeing the Alliance win their first fight with the empire mostly through determination and sacrifice and ramming a modified corvette into a Star Destroyer to shove it into ANOTHER Star Destroyer then that explosion takes out a planetary shield  OR, y'know, seeing what the beginning of A New Hope would look like if Vader lead his troops into battle rather than coming in for cleanup would look like though.  I like Force Awakens more, and it's a more complete movie, but damn if Rogue One didn't give me something I hadn't had before.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: December 30, 2016, 06:59:19 PM »
I thought of it this way when I came out.   Rogue one is EU type of stuff hitting the big screen.

Also y'all motherfuckers need more love for Space Zatoichi.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: December 31, 2016, 09:33:28 AM »
And yet no discussion of the most important part of Rogue One?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-disk-formats-of-star-wars-rogue-one-spoilers

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: January 11, 2017, 04:02:28 PM »
They couldn't make any of the characters from rogue one memorable for obvious reasons.

"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: January 11, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »
I was personally happy to see that Star Wars will always be an analog universe.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: January 12, 2017, 09:55:10 PM »
Assassin's Creed:  It's a lot of people standing around saying attempted profound things that have no bearing on anything going on.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: January 12, 2017, 10:36:14 PM »
True to the source material then, cool.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2820 on: January 12, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »
By that, do you mean the games or the historical time period?

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: January 13, 2017, 01:33:57 AM »
Yes.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #2822 on: January 13, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »
Harry Potter: Me and Brit decided to do a binge watch on the Harry Potter series for the sake of the recently released "Fantastic Beasts" film. We should have done this during November even though Rogue One was on the way and we decided to binge watch the original Star Wars trilogy instead. We're currently on the 4th film. We found that the first two films hadn't aged too well due to hokey child acting, the overly whimsical soundtrack, and costumes that made you feel more like you were watching a pantomime. The 3rd film was a step up in the aspects which the first two didn't do well in, including pacing. However, the good pacing means that it has to trade scenes giving more depth to specific plot points, such as detail on how Sirius "betrayed" the Potter family. Although this version gets points for executing the Time Turner better than in the book.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: January 13, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
#3 is the first good movie in the series (and I would say one of the best). Chris Columbus directed the first two and Chris Columbus is the ick.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #2824 on: January 14, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
Chris Columbus is a director I think is very overloved. I don't even think Home Alone has held up all that well.

And yeah, PoA is the first good one out of the films. The first two are average and are mainly backed up by decent source material.