Register

Author Topic: Britannian Geass Mafia - Game Over  (Read 59109 times)

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Flying Table Gambit
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2008, 08:42:50 PM »
schnwtfhisname: I forgot to mention earlier that it's highly unlikely that we have an SK, as it's fortunate enough that we avoided one kill, let alone the odds of surviving two. A vigilante is possible on account of it almost certainly not being worth killing someone in that situation, but less likely for Silver given that he'd probably have just shot me anyway. In any case we don't have even remotely enough information to actually discuss this, but just for the record while you're thinking about it.

Silver: given your most recent post I won't labour the issue, but in short,-both the ammunition and the list were to get things rolling. Simple as. Honest discussion gets us moving, and if we can't pick the innocent answers from the liars from that then we're screwed anyway. If you think damage was intended, then there's not much I can help with that other than other actions. The rest I had to talk about was again about at least offering opinions on other players/issues, but you've cut ahead on that.

(oh, and for reference votes restart at the start of each day so you weren't voting for me at that point anyway, but the thought is appreciated anyway)

Delta: confusing at best, especially given the length of time and number of questions about it posed.

It still feels like we're a [real-life] day or more from getting anywhere meaningful. With a few notable exceptions we're still mostly pussy-footing around and trying not to stand on toes, which it doesn't feel like we're going to get beyond until we've run out of lurkers to castigate.

Ninja'ed, but it feels good to be ninja'ed at all at this point.

Charles di Britannia

• The 98th Emperor of Britannia
  • Denizen
  • ALL HAIL BRITANNIA
    • View Profile
Re: Britannian Geass Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2008, 09:04:46 PM »
due!

VOTECOUNT

zooyork (2) - El Cideon, EvilTom
Deltaflyer (1) - AndrewRogue
Disland (1) - Xanth, Deltaflyer
Kaze (2) - Xanth, RoflKnife
Nilie (1) - Remo

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.
People... are not equal...

Kaze

• Wind-sama~
  • Denizen
  • In Soviet Russia, wind licks YOU!!
    • View Profile
    • emuemu
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2008, 10:26:56 PM »
I could very much tell the truth here and say I couldn't access this page in the past day (I've been refreshing and I flushed my cache) but I doubt that'd do much to help my case.

Instead, I'd like to point out that whilst the lack of posting is suspicious, I also think that posting heavily is also suspicious. By generating walls of what is near tl;dr, a person can easily mask their intentions with fanciful vocabulary and repetitive sentences. I am a busy kind of person and a forgetful kind of person, so I can really only check this thread twice a day at best. However, I am guilty of not posting, and the only thing I can do to change that is to post.

I shall wait for a few more posts before I decide who to vote, because at this point voting is merely to "push the process onwards" and encourage greater activity from people, which we should all be capable of doing without the pressure of voting. I see no point to indiscriminately throw my vote around in this second phase, and despite my earlier convictions I do not feel that anybody is suspicious enough to warrant a vote. (I realise in retrospect that this paragraph may be contradictory, but I am hoping that somebody will garner enough "suspicion points" to warrant a vote.)

Nilie

• Denizen
  • Omedetou~ Folks. You're the Geass. ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »
I honestly cannot find it in me to vote for someone who's been voted for by others just so someone will get lynched.

It took me a while to fly-read through all that's been said while I was away, I am glad to see this game is starting to get a lot more interesting and its members more active.

I'm sure Xanth's post had a lot to do with that. Sure did a good job of getting things going on this thread and I appreciate that. Unlike others, I do not think someone who posts a lot and is long-winded is necessarily hiding something. Actually in my mind Xanth's either a loyal cop, a caring doctor or candidate for the next political election of this town. Peace to you.

Even if in the end you turn out to be only Rivalz.

I am actually wondering a little about those of you were so eager to jump at Xanth and accuse him of basically nothing at all besides their wall of posts. It's not exactly like it's graffiti is it?

Xanth (2) - Andrew, Silver, Remo

I am not too sure about any of these three people. Although that vote was from day 1. And I do feel for those who have been mod killed though they could have contributed to the game(my own 1st votee in mind).

Yet voting against Silver just because they haven't shown up much feels wrong to me. So I won't be following the general example.

As for myself, well, I apologize for keeping you waiting for my next post as well as for sounding perhaps a bit weird in the prior ones. But fruits, tomatoes and oranges especially, in Code Geass, really should be taken more seriously. It appears that in that world they are often too often neglected as an essential part of a healthy everyday diet.  I hear the Ashford Academy has in fact, broken a new local record for Pizza ordering this year (though the records started the year prior). Yes, I know I am odd for been interested in such random facts. But to each their hobbies.

I will keep my vote for later after giving everyone a fair thinking moment.

Another odd fact to end this post: Did you know that the word orange is seemingly the only word in the English-scratch-Britannian dictionary that rhymes with no other word at all?

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2008, 12:02:04 AM »
Delta: Well... frankly. I don't know what to say. What you did was pretty much the single worst possible thing you could have done. When you play out on a hunch or something, you do not ignore the fact that multiple people have requested that you clarify your stance. The only thing I can really think at this point is that you spent all this time trying to come up with some sort of excuse. And... that's all it is in the end. It does nothing to address your false accusations or clear up whatever problems you claim you had with me and essentially amounts to you skulking out and admitting "I lied about my reasons for voting you" when left without recourse. This is... not reassuring. At all. Town should not be lying. Ever.

Personally, I'd be quite satisfied with launching a further attack on you, but no one else seems interested in this particular train at the moment. I'm going to put it out there that, extreme lurkers aside, Delta looks worst to me. If no one wants else wants to pursue this line, fine, I'll move, but I encourage everyone to watch Delta. My vote stays until I hear a little more thought on the subject.

Nilie: First and foremost, speculating and suggesting possible power roles (which I believe you are doing with Xanth, correct me if I'm wrong) is a bad idea unless it is necessary. Speculation like that potentially leads scum to town power roles (or at least gives them some direction). Simply put, you might be giving scum insight into something that they didn't previously have.

Secondly, I want you to go back and actually look at my vote on Xanth for a moment. I did not vote him for his long posts. I voted on him because, at the time, he hadn't posted in the game and I was simply encouraging him to show up and talk. In fact, once he posted, I backed off and moved my vote.

Admittedly, I did single him out for having long, incredibly hard to decipher posts, but that is a negative quality! Wall of text is never really a good thing, unless its brimming with information and discussion. Its a perfectly valid and effective scum tactic to obfuscate their posts in such a way that it looks like they are contributing tons when, in fact, they are giving town nothing. However, he's not really on my radar at the moment as he's picked up his content and posting nicely.

Please, remember to actually check what happened before you accuse or bring people up as suspects?

RoflKnife

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2008, 12:53:21 AM »
Gehh....I think everyone needs someone to die for a trail to follow. We've got no REAL clues until someone gets lynched.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2008, 02:31:35 AM »
Well, it looks like today it's going to come down to zooyork (2), Delta, Disland or Nille. I think we need to see some consolidation of votes here.
The votes for Kaze should be removed now since he has a seemingly legitimate reason for not posting. It's (kind of) unlimited time, so he'd have nothing to gain from hiding for the first part of the day.

So Roflknife, what's happening? Why is your vote still on Kaze?
You had the opportunity just then  to move it to a better source, but instead you just had a whinge rather than contributing anything useful.
FOS Roflknife
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

RoflKnife

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2008, 03:13:22 AM »
Might as well leave it on, I don't see 7 votes on anyone happening anytime soon....(Errr, you DO need 7 votes on 1 person, or do you need 7 TOTAL votes from everyone, and then the person with the most dies?)

Uh...What's FOS?

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2008, 03:18:30 AM »
A single person needs 7 votes for a lynching.
FOS = Finger of Suspicion.. in other words you're being dodgy, but not quite enough to warrant a vote just yet.
Might as well leave it on, I don't see 7 votes on anyone happening anytime soon...
It's that kind of unhelpful behaviour which is exactly why we haven't got 7 votes on anyone. You can't just sit around and expect scum to give up. And it's useless to leave your vote on somebody for no reason when you could be using your vote to help find scum.
Your refusal to help town is making me want to vote for you.

RoflKnife

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2008, 04:16:12 AM »
If I can unvote and vote on someone at anytime I want, my vote isn't useless, is it? You want me to "help" by using my vote to threaten everyone? Also, how am I refusing to help the town?

I'm about as dodgy as a rock. I've had practically no one question me about anything, so I can't try and sidestep any questions. (Well, you asked me one about my vote on Kaze, but I've answered that, and 1 question is practically negligible, so either way...)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2008, 05:39:20 AM »
Roflknife: The only way to get any sort of play or information is to force people to talk and see how they vote/what flips occur. The only way to force people to talk and test reactions is to put votes down and get the game. Thus... well. To be blunt. The only way to make progress is to witch hunt. Otherwise we just sort of... sit here. No pressure (and no hard details) means no information.

As it stands, we're basically still on Day 1 here. The only people who died were two townies who were modkilled for not posting. So, we have nothing but what's been said and that's not much.

On a related note...

Mods: Can we get a clarification on what "plot twists" entail?

schnwtfhisname

• the frequently misspelled
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2008, 06:36:58 AM »
Ok, I'm here now, and have gone over major events that I missed.

In my last post I had said that Disland, roflknife, and Remo have all said notably little, and by now I've tried to tell them apart somewhat better. Of these, rofl has seemed the most defensive since then. However, while he has made statements not beneficial to the general state of things (suggesting a mass roleclaim and that there is no new information until someone dies), I only get a vibe of unfamiliarity and not of malice. The only thing that sticks out so far are the unvote issue. But keep in mind that it is very easy for someone who is already defensive to get pressured into inadvertently looking worse and worse.

Remo has seemed more active and reasonably (although not saying much more than what others have picked up on).

No new thoughts on Disland. In addition, zooyork has not said anything since claiming Xanth appeared to be "taking advantage" of new players, which I do not see at all. It is best to concentrate on getting more out of these two at present.

Quote from: Nilie
I honestly cannot find it in me to vote for someone who's been voted for by others just so someone will get lynched.

This is giving me a protown vibe on Nilie at the very least. However, much of the rest of the post tried to achieve that effect as well. It would be more efficient to concentrate on what other things are happening.

As for Kaze, I agree that he has not given us much to work with, but as it seems he is actually busy I will have to wait before I can say this is actually suspicious. The fact that he has not mentioned any persons or trends in his latest post, at this stage, is a little worrying however.

Andrew: I almost, almost want to follow you up regarding Delta, but there are other things he has said which seem within the line of reason, and that one stumble is not really enough to warrant my suspicion.

It's late and feel like I'm fishing for something that isn't there, will try to single out a train of thought by tomorrow.

Remo

• Denizen
  • As wet as you want to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2008, 08:47:25 AM »
Well as Nilie has written a reply justifying his position, there is no reason for me to point fingers at him any more.

##UNVOTE: Nilie

Nilie, like I said earlier, my attention was drawn to Xanth at first due to his long and elaborate posts, but after having some time to digest his walls of text I find that theres no reason to single him out, for now anyway. Anyway with his train of thought so clearly laid out, it makes it easy to keep tabs on him.

I don't really have any suspicions on the rest of the players in particular except for Silver and Roflknife.

Silver seems to have the tendency to vote on bandwagons. After voting for Kaze as a joke vote, he then tried to follow EvilTom's vote on Schnwtfhisname's silly name. After being called out by EvilTom for accusing Xanth of obfuscation without voting for him, the Schwtf train lost steam due to EvilTom pulling out, and Silver had to back up his accusation with a vote for Xanth.

The Xanth/Silver rivalry began, and while Xanth admitted that he did not have anything solid on Silver and even tried to question the others who voted for Silver while at the same time questioned many of the other players, Silver only tried to attack Xanth back without any real defense of his own position. When the Xanth bandwagon died out by the second day, he too seems to have given up on Xanth, and tried to keep a low profile by withholding his vote, perhaps to await the next bandwagon which comes.

Finally he does not seem to be able to understand the rules. He has violated them quite a number of times now, including his most recent unvote despite not having voted yet on the second day.

Roflknife is less suspicious, but his actions have been pretty dodgy. His justifications for voting someone are not really convincing, and he is trying to avoid having to analyze other people's positions and to make himself look harmless. Perhaps he can reconsider his voting position and justifications so we can have reasons NOT to vote him.

##VOTE: silver

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Vilified Anteater Mechanics
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2008, 09:40:34 AM »
Kaze: in as few words as I can manage: twice a day would be more than enough at the current pace; posting lots of fluff with no content is just as bad as actively lurking, which is worse than not being on often (although it's entirely pointless for you to mention it unless you're going to accuse someone of it ("yeah, lurking is bad, but it's not as bad as people who wave a bloody knife around screaming that they're mafia"); I believe voting for people to talk has produced more than we would've had without.

##UNVOTE: Kaze

Nilie: thanks, but that does read an awful lot like an obituary. I don't fault Andrew or Remo's reasons for voting for me. I've already been clear about Silver. I'd bet that Rivalz is the most overpowered role of all, for what it's worth.

If we're going to start consolidating votes and actually start voting who we think may be mafia, I'd recommend (for now) reducing the scope to Delta, roflknife, zooyork, Disland, and Silver (that's in order of player number, for what it's worth). Argue if someone shouldn't be there and great, we can zoom in more on the others, or if someone else ought to be.

Delta's second post jumped on a joke vote and threw in some random speculation with nothing to back it up. He then refused to answer questions about it, to the point of leaving two votes on him go undefended. As day two starts, he immediately tries to draw the suspicion elsewhere. When it becomes clear that people just aren't going to let it go, no justification is given.

roflknife is displaying a major cases of survivalism. Having been gone until right near the end of the first day (almost surely forgivable, but 'I was following the other thread' is just a little odd when I specifically made a post in said thread a few days previously saying 'hey guys, nothing's happening here - go and look at the new thread'), he's been trying way too hard not to annoy anyone, and feels that leaving a vote on someone who has dealt with their suspicion is better than just plain unvoting (which is strictly better), let alone trying to push anyone else.

zooyork is barely here and seems unaware of the rules. Very bad town play at best.

Disland is a mix of the survivalism and the lurking. Hasn't spoken since yesterday morning when he claimed it was going to be followed up with actual thoughts. It's entirely reasonable that he just forgot rather than actively incriminating himself, but until we get that post he's not helping himself.

Silver's single-mindedness is bad town play at best. Still waiting on his views on anyone else.

##VOTE: Delta

Whilst zooyork comes a close second, he feels like a vanilla townsman who's uninterested and become a huge liability more than actively scum. Delta's the only one so far who's acted actively shifty.

Ninja'ed by Remo, which I don't even have the time to read. I'll be back in the afternoon-evening.

Silver

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Alright. Here's some of my other opinions so far:

RoflKnife and Kaze seem to be playful and innocent, displaying bits of fluff along the way. Small appearances with not much to really go on so far. It seems like they want to stay in the game but don't know exactly what to say. Thus they're raising suspicion, but right now it really can't be shown either way. They seem rather dodgy, and want to just stay in more.

Nille also seems to act around the same way. Cheerful, doesn't want to vote for anybody, but gives reasons behind that action. I have no suspicions here, seems innocent enough.

EvilTom seems a little persistent in getting what he wants. I started being more suspicious of him when he all but forced me to vote without investigating my thoughts further. Why would you provide incentives for somebody to vote even though they're already thinking about it. And then, not even a half of a day later, he switches positions to congratulating Xanth on what he's doing, while I keep my thoughts going. He also seems to put into many of his posts that he is a town role, even though all we have to go by there are his own words. It seems rather odd.

Disland seems determined to have something happen. He was rather disturbed with nobody being chosen on the first day. He's also clinging to the fact that he's a new player instead of adapting, which seems like bad play to me. Other than that, he hasn't shown his face much.

Xanth: Single mindedness or true focus? Who knows, most people don't like that I haven't shared my other thoughts. Here's some, but I've got more that I'm thinking about... By sticking to one suspect, I managed to get quite a good bit into understanding your personality, and at the same time get mine out there for people to see. A different style I suppose. Since it's nearing another new day, I just thought I'd do something different. We must have quite different mindsets for us to keep going on like this.

Vote: EvilTom

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
when he all but forced me to vote without investigating my thoughts further
It's easy for scum to sit back and idly comment. I'm not about to let you or anyone else get a free ride. Put your money where your mouth is and vote when you attack somebody, otherwise it looks like you're trying to raise suspicion about people without it being traced back to you later on the voting record.

not even a half of a day later, he switches positions to congratulating Xanth on what he's doing
Xanth was originally wall-of-texting, with a low subtance-to-fluff ratio. Nobody disagrees with that. After I poked him about it, he quickly reformed and started being a helpful, articulate and consise player. Why shouldn't I congratulate him on the improvement and move my vote elsewhere? It doesn't make sense to leave my vote on him after he is being useful and helpful. That you're suggesting I removed my vote from him as scummy is ludicrous.

He also seems to put into many of his posts that he is a town role
Where? Reference please.
even though all we have to go by there are his own words
- abide by your own words and provide evidence.

Silver, I find it interesting that when the day's lynch candidates are Delta, roflknife, zooyork, Disland, and yourself, that you chose to comment on Roflknife, Kaze, Nille, Myself, Disland and Xanth.
Why didn't you comment on Delta, or zooyork? Why haven't you tried to defend yourself?
And instead, you're attacking Xanth & myself. I'm open to new opinions, especially if they're good ones, but:
Xanth: Single mindedness or true focus? Who knows
this is not a helpful opinion.
I've already responded to/countered your attacks on me, and I don't see them as strong.

Mod, can we get an updated votecount?

I'm happy with a Silver, zooyork, delta or roflknife lynch. Not especially in that particular order, but I'm happy to see any of them swing today.

Charles di Britannia

• The 98th Emperor of Britannia
  • Denizen
  • ALL HAIL BRITANNIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »
Mods: Can we get a clarification on what "plot twists" entail?
A cute flavor text way of saying there's a time limit.

VOTECOUNT

zooyork (2) - El Cideon, EvilTom
Deltaflyer (1) - AndrewRogue, Xanth
Disland (1) - Xanth, Deltaflyer
Kaze (1) - Xanth, RoflKnife
Nilie (1) - Remo
silver (1) - Remo
EvilTom (1) - silver

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.
People... are not equal...

Silver

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »
Good town vibe from that one.
Not too suspicious, but it still shows that you want to say you are.

It can only benefit scum. They'll know who to kill.
The "they" modifier infers that you're not.

You can't just sit around and expect scum to give up.

Pretty much says you're saying you're of town too, if you're looking down on people who aren't helping it.

But I can pretty much take it the opposite way, because these statements are actually quite direct. If you wanted people to know your role, you could be a bit more subtle about it.

It's easy for scum to sit back and idly comment. I'm not about to let you or anyone else get a free ride. Put your money where your mouth is and vote when you attack somebody, otherwise it looks like you're trying to raise suspicion about people without it being traced back to you later on the voting record.
You want to say that you can't comment on anybody without voting on them? Haven't people been doing this the whole time by focusing on different people then voting for one? You're doing the same really. Hell, the comment you placed about Xanth before mine, was also without a vote. Sounds pretty hypocritical to me. You're just spreading yourself out further. Commenting without voting simply means you need to think about something further, or want to express something first.

Silver, I find it interesting that when the day's lynch candidates are Delta, roflknife, zooyork, Disland, and yourself, that you chose to comment on Roflknife, Kaze, Nille, Myself, Disland and Xanth.
Why didn't you comment on Delta, or zooyork? Why haven't you tried to defend yourself?

Talking about the same things as everybody else is a bit boring, don't you think? As you said, I'm forming my own opinions. I don't have to give a comment off every single person another person has voted on.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2008, 01:40:54 PM »
Good town vibe from that one.
Not too suspicious, but it still shows that you want to say you are.

It can only benefit scum. They'll know who to kill.
The "they" modifier infers that you're not.

You can't just sit around and expect scum to give up.

Pretty much says you're saying you're of town too, if you're looking down on people who aren't helping it.

But I can pretty much take it the opposite way, because these statements are actually quite direct. If you wanted people to know your role, you could be a bit more subtle about it.

He also seems to put into many of his posts that he is a town role

Dude. You take things way too far.
You're either making giants out of windmills, or you're scrabbling to make a mountain out of a molehill to backup your earlier false accusation.

I mean seriously, how else am I meant to say "we should hunt for scum" without implying that I'm town?
What do you want me to say? "We should hunt for scum of which I may or may not be a part of"? You're crazy.

Silver

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »
No, that was the overall picture I was getting from the tone of your posts.

You asked for some quotes and I gave them. You can't expect me to say "oops nothing of that sort happened, sorry for the accusation." Even if it wasn't that big, that's the way I saw the overall picture. You can call me crazy for that all I want, it's simply my opinion.

Nice analogies though.

Nilie

• Denizen
  • Omedetou~ Folks. You're the Geass. ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2008, 04:34:25 PM »

Nilie: First and foremost, speculating and suggesting possible power roles (which I believe you are doing with Xanth, correct me if I'm wrong) is a bad idea unless it is necessary. Speculation like that potentially leads scum to town power roles (or at least gives them some direction). Simply put, you might be giving scum insight into something that they didn't previously have.

Secondly, I want you to go back and actually look at my vote on Xanth for a moment. I did not vote him for his long posts. I voted on him because, at the time, he hadn't posted in the game and I was simply encouraging him to show up and talk. In fact, once he posted, I backed off and moved my vote.

Admittedly, I did single him out for having long, incredibly hard to decipher posts, but that is a negative quality! Wall of text is never really a good thing, unless its brimming with information and discussion. Its a perfectly valid and effective scum tactic to obfuscate their posts in such a way that it looks like they are contributing tons when, in fact, they are giving town nothing. However, he's not really on my radar at the moment as he's picked up his content and posting nicely.

Please, remember to actually check what happened before you accuse or bring people up as suspects?

Forgive me. I did not say you were a suspect, I just said it got me to wondering about people who seem eager to vote. I also laughed at how what you suggest could be a way of leading scum to town power roles never really did crossed my mind before that. Clearly I need to re-scan a few posts with that thought in mind.

I think that what I might have been trying to do is actually lay some blame off Xanth because I personally saw more good vibes from them than the majority back then. I really am still too confused to point fingers at anyone just yet with absolute certainty as I am a bit uncomfortable with the thought of possibly causing harm to someone unjustly.

In life, I like to make friend to talk about fruits and then eat them fruits. Like with the cold seasons coming, it is important to eat plenty of Vitamin C. Oranges for example. Orange juice, a full glass in the morning will keep you healthy.

Gehh....I think everyone needs someone to die for a trail to follow. We've got no REAL clues until someone gets lynched.

Now this sounded rather suspicious. Wouldn't it be simpler if we tried to find out just what really happened overnight?

##VOTE: RoflKnife

But only because I must and also because I feel most of the others have more or less justified themselves.

RoflKnife

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2008, 09:14:53 PM »
Remo: Well....what my justifications were was what it was. I have nothing else to say about them otherwise I'd be lying. I am trying to avoid analyzing others as I frankly wouldn't be able to put it into words very well, and I'd much rather try tracing the trail of someone who died. I'm not trying to avoid it to appear harmless though, but I don't want to look like a huge threat either. Can't a guy be normal?

Xanth: I can't say anything else about my absence on the first day, it's how it happened. I only clicked the refresh button on that sign up thread near the end of my day (before I go to sleep), but I figured it was irrelevent as it's still my fault for not checking outside the thread and it's a poor excuse. Yes I don't want to annoy anyone. If the votes on Kaze was nearing the 7 point mark, I would take mines off. If mines is one of only few votes, it doesn't really matter as it won't change anything. I'd remove it if I wanted to vote on a new person, which would be zooyork or disland if they haven't posted anything by the end of my day. Rivalz is FAAAABULOUS!

Nilie: In basically all cases, the mafia/scum killing a townsperson would benefit them, right? As their objective IS to kill all townspeople. The first day didn't have anyone killed by the mafia/scum for some reason. If they didn't kill someone then, I don't think they should be relied on to kill someone if they had no reason not to the first day. (They either can't decide, aren't posting/checking forums, or don't want to kill anyone for some reason. Since there are  2 possibilities of good reasons why we can't rely on them versus the 1, I've decided to roll in probability's favour.) As with Remo's reply, my justification was my justification.

Well, with this post, a lot about myself was revealed I guess.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »
Apropos of nothing, Remo's new avatar frightens me. Moving on:

I've come to realize that even though I have suspicions, I don't exactly have to act on them right away. As well, even though a lot of what both of us have said to raise suspicion of each other, it's helped things push forward. In general, if you're scum or town is irrelevant at this point.

I just have to second that this last comment is...very odd. Don't know what to make of it at all, just didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.

~

Instead, I'd like to point out that whilst the lack of posting is suspicious, I also think that posting heavily is also suspicious. By generating walls of what is near tl;dr, a person can easily mask their intentions with fanciful vocabulary and repetitive sentences.

This is an accurate observation in that scum do actually do this sometimes--high-wordcount lurking, typing a lot but carefully saying little--but assuming that someone making long posts automatically means they're scum is unwise. As always, we need to examine their posts for content or lack thereof (which, yes, can be kind of painful when someone's throwing around the old Wall o' Text every post).

I assume you had Xanth in mind when you mentioned this phenomenon, since he's the one consistently making long posts? For what it's worth, the impression I get is that he's just a townie who has a helluva lot to say. If you disagree, please let me know. I admit that I myself was put off by his introductory posts, but he's recently gone to a great deal of effort to get the game moving. If he's scum, he's presently doing a great job of not looking like it.

~

Still need to parse through the last half-page or so of posts, but I'm pretty sure my vote's staying on Zooyork. He's given us virtually nothing to go on--certainly less than anyone who's still alive--past hitting Xanth for talking too much.

Will address more recent happenings in a subsequent post.

Silver

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »
As irrelevant, I meant "too early to tell" in that context. Even though I got a good grip of who he was, you can't tell that much at this point. That's why I thought it was time to slow down a bit on an accusation and start to work with more than that, getting a further grip on the game's system.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2008, 11:44:36 PM »
If we're going to start consolidating votes and actually start voting who we think may be mafia, I'd recommend (for now) reducing the scope to Delta, roflknife, zooyork, Disland, and Silver (that's in order of player number, for what it's worth). Argue if someone shouldn't be there and great, we can zoom in more on the others, or if someone else ought to be.

I agree, and will start by looking at Silver because something Tom said to him raised a warning flag. Specifically this:

Check out that last sentence. This seems like a trap to me. Silver does what a lot of us had been waiting for him to do--expand his scope to include people other than Xanth--and Tom hits him for not defending himself. Had Silver done the reverse, Tom could have just as easily have called him out for being too defensive and not providing opinions on other people. Basically, it seems like Tom decided that Xanth's suggestion of who to focus on was the gospel truth and then hit Silver for not adhering to it. I don't like this train of thought at all. It's enough to make me want to keep an eye on Tom, and avoid a Silver lynch for now.

I will say, though, that Silver's comment about Tom proclaiming his towniness too much is pretty pointless. There's no reason for anyone not to claim that they're town, really--townies say it because it's true and scum say it because saying they're scum gets them killed. Such statements are basically fluff and I just ignore them.

~

Disland would get a Talk More vote right now if I had one to spare. Hasn't done much of anything to add to the discussion and his last post basically sought to give a free pass to lurkers with the convoluted logic that not posting much is the worst way to avoid suspicion and therefore anyone not posting much is clearly not suspicious. Would definitely support his lynch if people don't get behind Zooyork or Delta.

~

I've said my piece on Zooyork. Best lynch candidate we have right now, in my opinion.

~

Roflknife: Eh, not really seeing a case on him right now. What I am seeing is mostly newbie unfamiliarity with the mechanics of Mafia. He's at least been pretty consistent responding to people. Definitely behind Zooyork/Delta/Disland for suspicion as far as I'm concerned.

~

I'd also be comfortable with a Delta lynch. He did finally explain himself, but...all that evasion, when you could've said upfront that it was just a hunch? I don't get it, man. Not responding in a timely manner derailed a notable portion of the group well into today. I just don't see doing this if you don't genuinely have something to hide.

---

Apropos of nothing, Nilie's citrus hype is wholly seconded. This, though, I had to respond to:

Now this sounded rather suspicious. Wouldn't it be simpler if we tried to find out just what really happened overnight?

The trouble with doing that is that there's an obvious explanation for what happened last night: a doctor protected the right townie. And speculating on that presents some problems (I don't see any harm in my simply theorizing about the presence of a doctor, though, as it's an extremely common role). If someone comes out and claims they were attacked but protected by a doctor (in most games, the mod will notify someone if an unsuccessful attempt is made on their life), we have no way to check the veracity of their statement...unless the doc himself roleclaims. And if he does that, the scum will most likely kill him tonight. The only reasonable alternative is that the scum hit a bulletproof townie, but that roleclaim would be equally difficult to prove.

What roflknife says is unfortunately pretty close to the truth. We're basically running on an extended day one here and we need to ensure that it doesn't happen again.