Author Topic: Britannian Geass Mafia - Game Over  (Read 59092 times)

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
Re: Britannian Geass Mafia - Day 4
« Reply #300 on: October 01, 2008, 01:11:25 PM »
Equal with Nillie now, how tragic.

The only reason I'd been overlooking Remo is because he was AWOL and I thought he was going to be modkilled, so I didn't bother to question his absence. If he's not going to be modkilled now then I'm going to have to question his long disappearances.

Yes, I'm playing hyper-agressive. However, anyone who says that is not indicative of town is flat out wrong.

The people who sit back and relax and lurk are more likely to be scum.  Agressive play helps find scum.
Look at the previous games here on DL if you don't believe me.
In particular at Alex's plays. He's pro at hunting scum because he's always on the offense.

Xanth has been cotributing lots. I think we all get a town read from him. (What I was saying earlier is that we shouldn't stop looking at him just becasue of this).

Andrew - moderate town.

Despite my arguments with Silver, it looks like town v town argument to me. I credit him as looking for scum. So positive town read.

Nillie and Kaze are my #1 targets right now. Mainly because of low contribution levels. Remo has jumped right in there though. I feel that if they were town, they'd have been helping out a whole lot more.

schnwtfhisname disappeared since I voted Nillie, I'll see how he turns on that one.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Amulet Operetta Casket
« Reply #301 on: October 01, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
I didn't accuse you of aggression, I accused you of over-aggression.

I'm well aware of how aggressive play can help town. I have read a decent number of the games on this board (albeit skimming a lot in some cases), and am well aware of, for instance since you mentioned him, SirAlex's style. Ignoring for now (due to irrelevance to the game at hand) the argument of whether the far end of the scale damages the fun of the game (I'm certainly not accusing you of even coming close to that territory at any point), it's a matter of how this pressure is applied.

What I term as over-aggressive is when the response doesn't fit the act. Nuking ants. Not very aggressive, which can be perfectly reasonably aggressive depending on the situation, but over-aggressive. Pressing Nilie to consider throwing out a roleclaim when there was no threat of a hammer. Rabidly jumping on Silver over the zooyork -1 matter. That sort of aggression where you can justify a lot on the back of a little.

The sudden turn on Silver is still boggling. I myself have held the dual opinion on him for a long time, siding towards town, but in the time between you reading him as 'scummy' and that you're just waiting for the time before going back to him and the point where you completely silence your aggression to him he does absolutely nothing useful to town. I have no qualms with the change of opinion in and of itself, it's the timing, manifestation and explanation of it that reeks of wrongness.

No worries on the overlooking Remo front. I think everyone is/was on the same page with that.

My vote is still squarely with Kaze. There's not a single action with him pointing anywhere other than scum. The latest bandwagonning attempt hardly helps.

mia~

• miasmacloud
  • Denizen
  • bored rich kid wants to blow shit up
    • View Profile
    • http://srsfkn.biz
« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2008, 03:48:50 PM »
Ohayou gozaimashita. (  '-')

Day 4 Vote Count
Kaze (1) - Xanth, Nilie
schnwtfhisname (0) - EvilTom
Nilie (3) - EvilTom, AndrewRogue, Kaze
EvilTom (3) - Silver, Nilie, Remo
Bardiche (1) - miasmacloud

With 8 alive, it takes 5 to get a majority lynch~

Nilie

• Denizen
  • Omedetou~ Folks. You're the Geass. ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 01, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »
Ohayou gozaimashita. (  '-')
Bardiche (1) - miasmacloud
With 8 alive, it takes 5 to get a majority lynch~

Greetings. I don't get it. XD

I didn't accuse you of aggression, I accused you of over-aggression.
My vote is still squarely with Kaze. There's not a single action with him pointing anywhere other than scum. The latest bandwagonning attempt hardly helps.
Kaze tends to leave immediately after whatever short post they can manage though...

Equal with Nillie now, how tragic..
Don't flatter yourself bycomparing yourself to me. You're shallow.

Wouldn't you be nervous if three people in a raw voted you like this?
Actually I was on -1 sudden death, and I didn't crack like you are now.
It really goes to show.
Really goes to show... that you'd expected it?
I've dealt with enough crap from the scum for the past 3 nights, thank you very much and this time, I'd rather hit before I'm hit.
Wait, what? Can you explain this please?
What has happened to you in the night phases? Can you elaborate?

And why do you think scum are targeting you?

I don't see any evidence that points to that conclusion. Perhaps you'd like to explain?

Well, well, aren't we being just a tad too nice and ooc here all of a sudden? Am I even allowed to do that anyway.

That was clearly sarcasm, although admittedly the attitude doesn't help. I certainly wouldn't make a point from that that Tom's somehow looking forward to the modkill.

Oh, and definitely don't name/roleclaim at this point, good for you. Your back's not even remotely as close to the wall as Tom would like you to believe, and that over-aggressiveness is another mark against his name.

I am sarcasm proof. I also make odd points, granted.

Thank you for the clue. I really didn't feel too much against the wall but more like *grrrr* rage.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 02, 2008, 12:06:49 AM »
##Unvote: Nilie

At the moment, it looks like the day's decision is going to be between Tom and Nilie unless some real pressure gets laid down on Kaze. At the moment, I would not like a lynch to sneak in on Nilie while I'm gone until I'm sure about who I feel is the scummiest individual at this point.

As is, I would like to make a general inquiry to see if we can actually get a general consensus at any point today, or if we're going to be forced to wait for a time countdown from the mod/s. So, to that end, any chance of folks giving any idea of who their top couple suspects are in a clear and concise form? Don't have to do it, but I think it would help at least see the general POV of everyone in the game.

Myself, I'm looking at Nilie, Tom and Kaze.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 02, 2008, 02:58:21 AM »
I've dealt with enough crap from the scum for the past 3 nights, thank you very much and this time, I'd rather hit before I'm hit.
Wait, what? Can you explain this please?
What has happened to you in the night phases? Can you elaborate?

And why do you think scum are targeting you?

I don't see any evidence that points to that conclusion. Perhaps you'd like to explain?

Well, well, aren't we being just a tad too nice and ooc here all of a sudden? Am I even allowed to do that anyway.
I'm still waiting for an answer to this question. Why are you avoiding answering it?

schnwtfhisname

• the frequently misspelled
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 02, 2008, 04:17:21 AM »
It's the busy part of the week for me again, so apologies.

Remo: showed up in time at least. A little more justification about the way you have paired potential scum would also be useful.
Also, you seemed to be rather terse in justifying your vote, as before. Is there anything more that just a feeling?

EvilTom: In spite of what I said earlier and a remaining suspicion, your activity today has not been as alarming. However, in spite of Nilie's low content I'm not convinced of his guilt, and it would have to seem like he put a lot of effort into putting on an act and a personality that have not benefited him much. Pursuing suspicious threads aggressively is good, but if Nilie ends up being town forced into a claim due to your actions, then I will have to reconsider what you have been doing.

That said, Nilie:You seem to be falling into appealing to emotion to defend yourself against accusations. While this is not necessarily a scumtell (I was wrong about this with Delta's case, for instance), it does not give us much to work with, and generally gives off a bad vibe of not having anything to truthfully use to your defense. Your cryptic statement about your night experience does raise some questions. If you are going to roleclaim, please consider carefully whether this would help the town. If you are truly town, I would say do not claim unless you are on the verge of being lynched, since you may be targeted by scum tonight based on what you reveal. You do seem to have been trying to reveal a lot about your role already (or that is how it seems to me) but still, exercise caution.

As for Kaze, it seems you're trying to appeal to town by reiterating Xanth's non-suspiciousness, but the sudden (more detailed than usual) post justifying your vote seems a little off. You're essentially basing your vote on bandwagoning, while bandwagoning yourself as well... :-\ So that is somewhat suspicious. And you really do need to say something about Xanth's vote on you; being silent on this issue is odd, particularly when you consider him innocent and helpful and basically seemed to have suggested other people believe him.
(Other than that, do feel better, I am somewhat ill right now as well.)

Nilie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 02, 2008, 07:45:24 AM »

[ b ][ /b ]!

I'm still waiting for an answer to this question. Why are you avoiding answering it?

Why are you even asking in the first place? That's too much pressure been put on me for no good reason and you know it. That bit of information is a weapon of mine to keep until actually needed. I doubt it would be of any help at the moment in any case. I flatter myself to be the most transparent player here, very little is actually known about you or Kaze yet I'm the one who's been asked for the most detailed explanations? Do not get used to this, I do not feel the need to explain myself more than this, I may be a lot of things but I was never dishonest. I alone can know where my allegiance lies. If I say I've found purpose and a goal in getting rid of the scum in order to avoid more Ashford Academy students been harmed while been careful not to repeat the case of Nanally then you have but two choices: Believe me, or don't.

You've been picking on the wrong person to mess with though and that is the one thing, the only thing that suggests you do not know who you're dealing with, so I am only a tad curious now about whether or not you truly are just the pushy town member you suggest you are. Still, Kaze's decision coming right after yours when that fellow has been acting suspicious for quite some time now (and others will agree with me so clearly this is not completely out of the blue) leads me to believe this was planned and that you feel threatened by me because I'm onto you games.

If you turn out to be town, then I'd be losing some serious confidence over my own dedication skills. Can't honestly say I'd feel sorry though, I do not like you, either way.

Your cryptic statement about your night experience does raise some questions. If you are going to roleclaim, please consider carefully whether this would help the town. If you are truly town, I would say do not claim unless you are on the verge of being lynched, since you may be targeted by scum tonight based on what you reveal. You do seem to have been trying to reveal a lot about your role already (or that is how it seems to me) but still, exercise caution.

I wouldn't call it cryptic myself, but I thank you for the valuable advice. I believe roleclaiming or revealing more would not help town ATM in the least. Perhaps that can suggest something about the people pressuring me relentlessly without any real explanation.

And I wonder, just how much have other players been giving you to "work with" really? Would you care to show me a few good examples? Perhaps I really am not getting the hangs of this town's game just yet.

You'll also have to excuse me until much later today, I will be busy, in the real world.

Nilie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 02, 2008, 07:48:03 AM »

[ b ][ /b ]!

*chuckles* Just now, I wonder if our mods would count it if one of us unvoted for themselves in bold? Our prince does seem to be keepinf awfully busy over matters other than this forum.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 02, 2008, 10:34:48 AM »
Why are you even asking in the first place? That's too much pressure been put on me for no good reason and you know it.
What, so nobody is allowed to quesion you when you say really suspicious things? You alluded to some kind of special event that you did during night phase; when you say something something like that then people are going to want to know what you're talking about. Not only are you refusing to answer questions, you're also lashing out.

That bit of information is a weapon of mine to keep until actually needed. I doubt it would be of any help at the moment in any case.
Then why are you hiding things? Why mention them in the first place if you're not going to tell us about them? Sounds like somebody breadcrumbing for a fakeclaim.

I alone can know where my allegiance lies.
...that... sounds... I dunno. It sounds like someone an independant third party would say, if not mafia. It definately doesn't sound town.

If I say I've found purpose and a goal in getting rid of the scum in order to avoid more Ashford Academy students been harmed while been careful not to repeat the case of Nanally then you have but two choices: Believe me, or don't.
  Definately doesn't sound like someone who is acting in town's best interests.

Can't honestly say I'd feel sorry though, I do not like you, either way.
  Wow, personal attacks. Definately not in town's best interests.

Perhaps I really am not getting the hangs of this town's game just yet.
  Um what? Is that to imply that you're not part of town?

You'll also have to excuse me until much later today, I will be busy, in the real world.
You refuse to answer the question, and instead leave cryptic remarks and make personal attacks. And then disappear.

If I wasn't already voting for you, then I certainly would be now.

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Sepia Bracket Childhood
« Reply #310 on: October 02, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »
So, to that end, any chance of folks giving any idea of who their top couple suspects are in a clear and concise form? Don't have to do it, but I think it would help at least see the general POV of everyone in the game.

Myself, I'm looking at Nilie, Tom and Kaze.

I'm primarily interested in Kaze at this point. I'd support lynching Tom over Nilie, but would rather not get involved unless forced. Remo is the next immediate one on my horizon after that.

Nilie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 02, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »
What, so nobody is allowed to quesion you when you say really suspicious things? You alluded to some kind of special event that you did during night phase; when you say something something like that then people are going to want to know what you're talking about. Not only are you refusing to answer questions, you're also lashing out.  Then why are you hiding things? Why mention them in the first place if you're not going to tell us about them? Sounds like somebody breadcrumbing for a fakeclaim.

...that... sounds... I dunno. It sounds like someone an independant third party would say, if not mafia. It definately doesn't sound town.

Definately doesn't sound like someone who is acting in town's best interests.

Wow, personal attacks. Definately not in town's best interests.

Um what? Is that to imply that you're not part of town?

You refuse to answer the question, and instead leave cryptic remarks and make personal attacks. And then disappear.

If I wasn't already voting for you, then I certainly would be now.

Reading all you actually wrote in this previous post. You're not one to elaborate on anything yourself. I don't know anything about you, except that you enjoy quoting people a lot on one line and attempting to sound witty (and failing miserably at that) while making them feel guilty as scum, and when asked why you're so aggressive, you say it's in town's best interest and that anyone not following your lead smells of scum. The fact you've been conviniently voting nothing nothing but townies doesn't help me feel any better about you. Yes, I do not like you, doesn't mean if you could prove yourself innocent I wouldn't unvote you. It's only personal as far as the feeling of loss goes. My reasons for voting for you are clear and relevant enough, I think. Unlike yours for attacking me so violently.

What I meant was that I was unexperienced at this RPG, but the town's game just somehow sounded better as opposed to mafia. :P I fail to English.

I can honestly say I've never lied once in any of my posts. Nor have I ever used (bad) sarcasm. Things are cryptic enough as they are now so might as well work on clarifying things where one can.

On a completely different note, I must ask, are we allowed to fake roleclaim like what's just been suggested? Wouldn't the mods kill us for this? Or does it only need to be someone who's probably not part of the game, a character that wasn't taken. Can this be done? If so, it would sure be a way to keep the game lasting longer. Could the person reveal it if they knew the roleclaim was fake because they were stealing their character?

Someone smart please answer me. Sir Xanth, perhaps? The Prime Minister and his Majesty the Emperor seem to have been too busy to reply to my unimportant queries about the game's rules recently.

mia~

• miasmacloud
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 02, 2008, 04:11:09 PM »
Day 4 Vote Count
Kaze (1) - Xanth, Nilie
Nilie (2) - EvilTom, AndrewRogue, Kaze
Bardiche (2) - miasmacloud, miasmacloud

With 8 alive, it takes 5 to get a majority lynch.

And I'll say this much: You would be modkilled for copypasting your role PM or any part of it into the thread.

Also, I'm putting up another 48hr time limit starting now.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:20:32 PM by Schneizel »

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Crystal Cyclone Compass
« Reply #313 on: October 02, 2008, 06:01:30 PM »
Also, I'm putting up another 48hr time limit starting now.

Again, I should be around in the time leading up to the deadline, but may end up being too pre-occupied elsewhere, not that we should be treating this as the only important point of the next 48 hours. As such, I will try to check in as often as I can.

On a completely different note, I must ask, are we allowed to fake roleclaim like what's just been suggested? Wouldn't the mods kill us for this? Or does it only need to be someone who's probably not part of the game, a character that wasn't taken. Can this be done? If so, it would sure be a way to keep the game lasting longer. Could the person reveal it if they knew the roleclaim was fake because they were stealing their character?

(tl;dr explanation at end)

As Crown Prince Schneizel has just made clear, the only thing in this vein that is outright wrong in the game mechanics sense is to quote the PM from the mod that confirmed your name, role, alliance and so on (plus a general 'no silly buggers' clause). Any player, town or mafia, is free to:

a) claim to be any name
b) claim to be any role
c) claim to be any alliance
d) lots of other crap, but you get the point

In that this is information that everyone has access to (of course, you shouldn't be lying as town, but it's not against the rules). The trouble with role PMs is that they contain information that comes from a single source and effectively clear at least the first person who pastes it, which unbalances the game and can change the emphasis away from what the game should be about. Rather than making it hard to use this information powerfully, it is just a modkillable offence.

Name and roleclaiming is standard in certain instances of the game, and obviously scum will always claim to be town. The trouble with name and role claiming as scum is that you need to choose a name that no one else has, or they'll call you out on it, and similar problems with role claiming usually (but by no means always - in the recently run anonymafia game one of the scum claimed to be a tracker) mean that scum will claim to be vanilla, or maybe something like bulletproof.

To balance this, sometimes the mod will tell the scum in their role PM a name or range of names that they're safe to claim, which in this case yes, would mean Britannians who aren't being used by other players. We have not been told that this is the case or not in this game, but unless we know it isn't then we should at least accept the possibility that it is (for instance, we should not immediately assume that Silver is definitely innocent when he claimed to be Shirley and no one counter-claimed and called him a liar when he could just have been told that Shirley would be a safe name claim to make). In particular, this quote -

They also lost Rivalz, but he turned out to be Sayoko wearing a mask and voice changer anyway!

(from the 'day 4 starts' message) strongly implies that Disland was told that he could fakeclaim as Rivalz, as I'm sure I've mentioned at some point earlier.

In spite of this, there are still points at which name/roleclaiming is accepted as a good thing, notably as a final defence for people on the verge of getting lynched, and in LYLO. In the former case if, for instance, the doctor or the cop is -1 to hammer and another vote is looking likely, then they should still admit to their role. Even though they'll almost certainly get killed that night phase (especially the doctor - at least the cop would potentially have the doctor to save them) this is still worth it as it means town loses the doctor/cop and the next most suspicious person rather than the doctor/cop and the next person on the mafia's kill list. It is of course possible for scum to reach this position and fakeclaim, but it's not like a free pass given that they have to then lay claim to what they've done as that role, which may be backed up or disputed by others, and generally given a lot of scrutiny. It's of course possible that a scum in that (or another) position fakeclaiming to be a town power role could be counterclaimed by the actual holder(s), but of course that's just giving the remaining scum a head on a silver platter so isn't the natural and obvious response to it. In LYLO, the principle is basically that information is power and that the roles are basically useless at that point anyway, so the more you put on the table forces the scum to lie more to stay in the game and gives everyone more to work with in the critical period.

tl;dr: so far as the mod cares you're allowed to claim whatever the hell you like as long as it's not information that you can uniquely confirm in a game-unbalancing manner, which will get you killed instead. There are good and bad times for this, for both town and scum.

Kaze

• Wind-sama~
  • Denizen
  • In Soviet Russia, wind licks YOU!!
    • View Profile
    • emuemu
Re: Amulet Operetta Casket
« Reply #314 on: October 02, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »
I apologise for my absence, pressures IRL.

I wasn't jumping on the bandwagon, I had my own suspicions and reasons that I justified seperately in conjuction with what EvilTom and Andrew said, which is more than I can say for what Nilie did. However, I think that Nilie has explained his most recent vote a lot better than the previous ones.

##UNVOTE: Nilie

I don't feel that "bandwaggoning" on EvilTom is the best thing right now, but the case against has definetly become greater after his most recent post. Perhaps I'm merely being swayed over by Nilie, so I'll wait until tomorrow in order to mull things over and assess the situation correctly. The deadline should provide us with enough time to reach a conclusive decision, which will hopefully be the correct one too.

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Projector Drive Bollard
« Reply #315 on: October 03, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »
This lack of posting is getting silly. Nothing in over 12 hours (the time I'd expect to be busier, no less), and only three posts in the last 24 hours that weren't by the mod or me (and one of my two posts was only answering a game mechanics question, and the other was hardly new information in itself, as much as it was trying to get people to follow Andrew's thread).

We're under a deadline. People should be falling over themselves with conversation, not sinking away and letting scum lurk out another lynch.

I didn't want to turn the game off with another long post, but at this rate there's going to have to be one at some point later today.

Silver

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Mafia Hat Trick
« Reply #316 on: October 03, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »
Well I'm sticking by my previous post, and don't have anything new to really say.

I should probably post about the people I haven't yet. Maybe in an hour or so after I wake up a bit, heh.

mia~

• miasmacloud
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 03, 2008, 06:24:17 PM »
Day 4 Vote Count
Kaze (1) - Xanth, Nilie
Nilie (1) - EvilTom, AndrewRogue, Kaze
Bardiche (3) - miasmacloud, miasmacloud, miasmacloud

With 8 alive, it takes 5 to get a majority lynch.

~22hrs left in the day.

Remo

• Denizen
  • As wet as you want to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 03, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »
Interesting exchange between Nillie and EvilTom. I still get a somewhat uncomfortable vibe from EvilTom's posts. I do not claim to be very accurate in my deductions, but there is a certain pattern which I observed. Let us consider the situation now.

There are 8 people left, with 5 needed to lynch. By now, the scum should have a better idea of who the town power roles are due to their past failures, or at least will have better targets in mind, giving them a good chance of getting a kill when the next night comes. The deaths of two town will place the balance at 4 town vs 2 scum, which would be pretty advantageous to them, giving them good reason to start cooperating now.

There was originally a EvilTom vs Silvers thing going, which became a EvilTom vs Nilie thing. Right now, EvilTom has the most votes (Me, Silvers, Nilie), and at this rate is going to be killed by default if no one changes their minds or just neglect to post.  If we consider the possibility that EvilTom is not scum, then the most likely scenario would be the Silvers and Nilie are actually the scum, and are finally working together to get EvilTom killed.

While there is apparently no one helping EvilTom at the moment, its also possible that he is scum and his accomplice is merely using him as a decoy to pretend to be a town, in order to win by surviving and nightkills all the way.

Either way, this means that there is the possibility that either one or both Silvers and Nilie are scum as well, irregardless of who EvilTom turns out to be.

Kaze is a bit suspicious as well, but his voting record is mixed. Voted for Disland early on, but withdrew it pretty quickly. Voted for Nilie but withdrew it after AndreRogue withdrew. Could be either.

I am not really getting a scum vibe from the rest.

My vote remains on EvilTom; on balance he still seems the most scummy....

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Eternal Rocket Butterfly
« Reply #319 on: October 03, 2008, 08:27:47 PM »
tl;dr: In these next few posts I am earnestly trying to get the lynch changed from Tom to Kaze.

I don't like this at all. Not one bit. Every last player except from Nilie has been on at some point since Crown Prince Schneizel's post yesterday, yet only three have posted at all, and conversation has broken. I don't get it, when necessarily most of the lurkers in this case are town.

The absolute bloody nuisance of all of this is that this reflection has messed with my head. In no short of backwards logic, I can't imagine that scum could possibly let things stand as they are if it was leading to a scum kill. Don't ask how it explains Tom's lack of appeals since the start of the limit because it doesn't - that doesn't make sense no matter which way his bread is buttered, and assumedly comes down to some random event taking his time up. Whatever it is, it matters little to this analysis.

This doesn't prove anything. Not at all. I can't imagine the gambit that you could make as scum such that this could possibly pay off (and I can't imagine them being dejected enough to just resign themselves to fate, because really), but I'm not about to call Tom innocent over this. The trouble is that if this goes silent then Tom knows that there are two likely votes on him (schnwtfhisname and Xanth) ready in the wings (three with Kaze?), and with the speed of the game as it is he can't possibly think that he can turn it around elsewhere in that time. Thus I act now, because dear lord do I hope that he can't have predicted that I would make this swing for him at this point in time.

The thing about this whole set up is that there's absolutely no scumbuddy to be seen anywhere. He has three votes on him, and three more waiting, leaving just Andrew sitting on some undefined fence between the three 'options' (don't think I don't see you still sitting there, not to mention that schnwtfhisname hasn't voted at all (I imagine I see why, but you could at least reiterate FoS or something)). At first I was like bam, there's an aggressive vote on Nilie, there we go, and bam, here comes scumbuddy Kaze on to the trail, I have you caught now. The trouble with that is that whilst Kaze was definitely suspicious for that, it doesn't need to link back to Tom to be so.

Which brings us to niggling point the second - the odds of one scum selling off the other in order to look good. I am perfectly aware that it is just an assumption based on the set up, but Lelouch is almost certainly a godfather. It's just obviously sensible for the theme and would work fine in this set up. No, I'm not getting this from anything other than public information (the only way I could know better would be to be scum, I think?), using additional things like flips like Lloyd being the inventor and the pizza girl being messenger (Gino doesn't make sense by role name outright, but fine by the flavour name 'Ladies Man', as here) Anyway, I hope people can at least accept where I'm coming from. If there's a godfather, then it makes little to no sense to sell out your scumbuddy at this point, because no major town power roles have flipped. The godfather is scum's breathing space against the cop, and so long as no cops have flipped (and even with one it's non-obvious that there isn't another here) then scum will want to preserve that ability (for those players unfamiliar with the role - a godfather is a mafioso who scans as town would to cops unless they personally make the night kill, and so you need another scum for it to be effective, and so whether it's the godfather selling or being sold out they effectively lose the ability).

Right, yes, we're getting well into 'what ifs' here. Not really WIFOM, because preserving godfatherhood just plain makes sense, it's just that there may be higher priorities. If one's back was to the wall then the other is more than likely better off to twist the dagger than pull it out, sure, but there was absolutely no threat of that here for ages. It took nearly an entire day for a vote to land on Tom after the Nilie train started. There are so many things a buddy could have done in this period to push Nilie just that little bit further - he was already flustered and reeling and another voice on the pile would have made it almost natural to lynch him if it had gained more momentum earlier. Forget the godfather bonus, this situation would have been so easy for any two scumbuddies to agree together to get another townsperson to get lynched with incredibly low risk of getting called on it. If we assume that Tom is scum, then in my head this effectively leaves us with two options - either Andrew is his buddy or Kaze is, as they fit this profile. Andrew lets go at precisely the wrong moment for that profile, so I'm going to dust Andrew/Tom as highly unlikely. Kaze never leaves my sight as scum for a second in this dialogue, but I can't see how it actually helps Tom other than being a vote on a train that isn't his (Tom's).

This whole thing pains my whole conception of actual scumtells against WIFOM or what have you, but in short I really can't see a Tom scum gambit that would peter out so early and so easily against a flustered Nilie and then leave Tom to rot silently on death row with a deadline running up. I am not saying that I have cleared Tom of suspicion, but this whole situation reeks of scum approval.

I'm going to go into more detail on Kaze next, but I want to get this out before I delete the above out of a sort of disgust. I already want to remove the whole section on the godfather stuff due to its eventual irrelevance to what I was trying to say, but I'll let it stand for truth nonetheless.

Ninja'ed: yeah, actually, Remo ninja'ed me right after I started writing this post (go figure how much I left this, came back, rewrote parts and so on by the time frame), but I didn't want to lose my stride over the strength of the game's lurkiness. One more post doesn't mean the game wasn't in a coma for a bunch of time, it just means it might have saved itself before I tried.

Nilie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 03, 2008, 08:56:01 PM »
Interesting exchange between Nillie and EvilTom.
Quite the beach fight, indeed.
*looks towards the peaceful scenery of the setting orange sun*

There was originally a EvilTom vs Silvers thing going, which became a EvilTom vs Nilie thing. Right now, EvilTom has the most votes (Me, Silvers, Nilie), and at this rate is going to be killed by default if no one changes their minds or just neglect to post.  If we consider the possibility that EvilTom is not scum, then the most likely scenario would be the Silvers and Nilie are actually the scum, and are finally working together to get EvilTom killed.
*Laughs* Yes, Shirley is the very image of innocence, but it could be a fakeclaim, though that's not how I feel about it right now.

I mean, I'd rather it be Shirley.

*turns to look back at the icon*

Shirley
, surely you are Shirley?

Either way, this means that there is the possibility that either one or both Silvers and Nilie are scum as well, irregardless of who EvilTom turns out to be.

Oh, goodness. Such things would complicate this system a lot. Let's see, Xanth and Schwtfhisname would be the evil masters of the game toying us around since they know all the right tricks. And, perhaps, Kaze is the pressured little innocent Anya, friends with you Remo the Bismark. Or something... (Making completely random guess to illustrate my point really, not implying anything at all)

And then Andrew and Kaze's only reason for unvoting me would have been to make me cool off because they were scared shitless by my violent replies to EVILTom's lame attitude.

Though it is possible that EvilTom is actually on town's side as I've myself considered for a very, very short instant.

If EvilTom turns out to be complete vanilla, I'll never taste the flavor again and stick to Orange for the rest of my life.

I am not really getting a scum vibe from the rest.

Probably hiding really well. Or not and this town might actually win the game. I do wonder about a few others... But I've got nothing on them at all.

This lack of posting is getting silly.

We're under a deadline. People should be falling over themselves with conversation, not sinking away and letting scum lurk out another lynch.

I've never been quite so active. Besides, you had a life to go back to, perhaps the others did too for a while?

If we continue to attribute silence to scum then there actually is really little number of townies in this town.

I forgot to thank you for the precious information, it's very kind of you to take the time to make such long posts in reply. 

Nilie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 03, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »
Yes, the air does smell fishy here, indeed. Another brilliant post. Let's all help each other make things more confusing and shoot random people until there speaks one of them with useful info.

Can do. If EVILtom can. *pointed disdainful look*

Though now, Xanth I'm wondering whether or not I do understand any of this. But do not delete any of the above post, it's nothing but useful information. 

I would NOT consider doing this if the silence did stink of scum approval just like Xanth says. I did have my own little moment of doubt, so let's give Tom the benefit if only temporary. Though I've got my eye on him, to be sure.

But if he's just something like Lelouch's disposable rag of a Rolo character than I might find it in me to actually feel a bit sorry. But he'd still be scum wouldn't he?

I hope I won't regret this, deep breaths now:

##UNVOTE: EvilTom

*Peels an orange and chunks away vanilla flavored biscuits into trash bin*

##VOTE: Kaze

Now speak, Mr. Wind, speak! Or face the deadline's damage!

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Sound Beehive Eve
« Reply #322 on: October 03, 2008, 09:51:45 PM »
Yuck, that felt bad. It's like guts meets reason meets metagaming meets paranoia meets a whole bunch of other crap. I don't like writing like that seriously but use it as a guide for where to find proper reason to actually work with, but given the extremity of the situation I feel like I need to have all of my cards on the table in order to convince anyone to do anything to help out here, especailly when I'm trying to explain a second turnaround on Tom in the space of one [game] day. For reference, I've read a few more of the other mafia games on here in the last few days and they've also helped to mellow me out against Tom's attitudes, as they've made for an immediate reference for consistency. No, not by any means an indication of innocence, but it calms my instincts that have placed negative attributes to him on a gut level for a few things.

In any case, time to parade the case on Kaze again. I'm really looking for at least one of the votes on Tom to come over to make this likely to happen, but if not then I need to convince damn near everyone else that this is where votes want to be parked.

Bugger, give me a bit. I've suddenly been delayed by a bit. I'll do whatever it takes to get to the end of this before I go to bed, but if you're looking at this thread and this is the last message of mine you see then I've only done the 'voting for Tom feels like a horrible idea at this point' half and haven't done the 'voting for Kaze feels like a much better idea at this point' half.

Oh, and ninja'ed like half an hour ago. Yeah, I'm not really actually at my computer at the moment. I'll be back to finish it off, I swear.

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Doll City Habits
« Reply #323 on: October 03, 2008, 11:00:59 PM »
For reference:

Posts by day: 1 2 3 || 1 2 3 || 1 2 3 4 || 1 2 3 4

Day 1
Votes for zooyork
Unvotes zooyork and votes for Silver

Day 2
Votes for zooyork
Unvotes zooyork

Day 3
Votes for Disland
Unvotes Disland

Day 4 (till present)
Votes for Nilie
Unvotes Nilie

---

It's funny, because the above practically speaks for itself. So much so that I shall in fact split this off from my analysis post so that the bare facts can stand out.

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Base Summer Butler
« Reply #324 on: October 04, 2008, 01:57:44 AM »
As is more than likely really obvious, the Yth post on day X will be referred to as X:Y. I won't be bothering with links in this post, but they're all very clear in the above post, so it's easy to track.

As I've written this, it's occurred that periods of absence are also a factor, so here's this other handy scale to pick on:

1:1
1:2 19 hours later
1:3 1 day, 4 hours later
2:1 3 days, 2 hours later
2:2 2 days later
2:3 1 day, 9 hours later
3:1 2 days, 23 1/2 hours later
3:2 1 day, 14 hours later
3:3 1 1/2 hours later
3:4 1 1/2 hours later
4:1 5 days, 11 1/2 hours later
4:2 1/2> hour later
4:3 2 1/2 hours later
4:4 2 days, 5 1/2 hours later

Day 1:
Ignoring the joke post at the start, post 1:2 brings us a vote for a lurker (fair enough, that's a plain neutral read; can't imply anything from this even though zooyork did turn out to be neutral), and 1:3 brings us to the first eyebrow-raiser. This one I've been over before, but this looks like an opportune bandwagon attempt on Silver. Xanth versus Silver was the topic of the moment, and looked likely to blow up even further. This all on top of a post that says nothing about Silver outside of the vote. Curious.

Day 2:
2:1 brings with it the first reason for a period of absence (I'm not saying that he's lying about these, but keeping track nonetheless), and is otherwise full of fluff, including a 'look over there!' suspicion principle of 'I may be suspicious for lurking, but it'd be just as suspicious if someone posted lots of fluff, right?'. It's not just fluff, even - the sentiments are basically anti-town (but of the sort that Silver and Nilie have much more flagrantly disregarded under the guise of not seeing why some things are good and others are bad, so it's hard to rub this sort of thing in someone's face).

2:2 and suddenly there's action! A vote for zooyork "Due to the large amount of votes and no reply from the guy," just after Xanth has made a call not to press forth on votes on zooyork for fear of the sudden train that did nearly get through. I like the phrasing of that quoted section, which effectively washes his hands of responsibility as a scientific inevitability, and doesn't even tell us what he thinks of the guy. LAL, I guess. I'd say that at least he quotes something on the Delta issue, but with no actual direction.

2:3 brings the unvote for zooyork, which is little more than symbolic, but at least it shows attentiveness. And what's this, an actual opinion on Delta expressed there. Nothing really ventured and a bit on the wishy-washy side, but I can't say too much when Xanth pulled as much evidence as I (okay, this first/third person mix is starting to creep me out) could find against the guy. It does tie him slightly to Delta, but then it's clear as day that he'll not going to pull any heat for agreeing but not voting at a daft time, so I'd hardly call those couple of lines as pro-town.

Day 3:
3:1 is filler. 'I'll post more. Also, let's look at trains, because trains are bad.' without actually looking at the trains (not to misrepresent, he does get back to it in 3:2, which he claimed he would). In particular, note "A lot of people were awful quick to jump on the train, I found, and I tried to play it cautiously because I know from past mafia experience that trains often lose track of their intentions and gain too much momentum too fast," which is in reference to him hanging back on the Delta train, but he had just happily jumped on the back end of the zooyork train without a care in the world even when cautioned.

3:2 is prime material. Muse over this one for a while as an example of active lurking. So many names referred to, so little actual material. Read it. It's all 'Maybe [so and so] is scum because of this! But maybe not! I certainly won't be accusing them yet!'. The whole thing says nothing. This is day 3 of the game and all we have from the guy is that he was thinking of voting for Delta, but was glad he didn't. (This also brings the critical moment where he votes Disland, since confirmed scum. I'll get to that.)

I love 3:3 for being all like 'I've contradicted myself plenty, oops', combined with the understatement of the game that is "I haven't really got enough balls to blatantly accuse anybody" (or to say anything bad about anyone at all, ever, bar one comment on Delta), and concentrating on explaining 1:3 when what I really want to hear from him is what he thinks of everyone, or at least some people. But don't worry, we're now up to LAL, 'I was thinking of voting on Delta for terrible play but am glad I didn't,' and 'Xanth looked least suspicious to me on day 1,' so maybe we'll get somewhere in a year or two.

3:4 is only three hours after 3:2, and he's already had cold feet and removed his vote on Disland. Andrew comments on this practically immediately for him completely missing my points entirely. There was absolutely no good reason to remove the vote on Disland at that point, except that it looks all the more suspicious after Disland's turned up scum and the evidence on Kaze is stacking up from elsewhere anyway. Way too compliant, way too soon.

Day 4:
He's been gone for a while, and picked up a couple of votes for his trouble. But no fear, there's a counter-train going on someone else. Having never mentioned Nilie before in the game (then again, that's hardly surprising when the same goes for most other players), suddenly out comes 4:1. Let's actually look at this one in more detail, since this is since the last time I bothered to sit down to look at your posts fully:

I feel that I must agree with EvilTom here, in saying that Nillie has failed to provide analysis.

Number of times you've said this: 1

Xanth's vote on me was seemingly just to get things rolling,

'...so I won't respond to it.'      Nice.

but he is effectively confirmed innocent anyway

Okay, we can upgrade one of the three things known about Kaze to 'believes Xanth is innocent.'   (but not for long!)

I feel that trains detract from the whole point of mafia, so votes attached onto others' are particularly scummy.

Number of times you've said you think trains are bad and scummy: 2
Number of times you've jumped on trains at the first chance: 3    (okay, 2 1/2, it's a little harsh to include Silver on day 1)

Until then, however, I'll be voting you because of your failure to provide and real conviction behind your voting.

Number of times you've now said this: 2

Interesting when you suggested back in 2:1 that it would be more suspicious than lurking if someone posted a lot of fluff and repeated themselves.

I can't directly fault the attack on Nilie other than that

It seems like you had a personal vendetta against Roflknife, and all you had to say for it was:
Now, wow, schnwtfhisname that is one big post. But aren't we FOS the wrong people again for the wrong reasons? I was so sure that Roflknife was a good place to aim but I turned out to be very wrong. Yet, some voice in my head reassures me and tell me he would very likely have joined the scum side of town of side, eventually. Call it odd intuition.

Let's think our next vote carefully, shall we?
This is an awfully weak reason to "justify" your previous votes, so until you provide an actually conclusive post I feel that you are the most suspicious person here.

That's clearly just Nilie roleplaying/referencing the fact that Gino (Roflknife's role) does eventually turn traitor and join the scum. That should be taken about as literally as his rage at Nunnally's lynching.

Now, I think that good cases can be made against Nilie, but he reference posts as far back as page 5. They were just as relevant then as they are now, so I don't know why it's taken nearly a fortnight for him to suddenly take an interest in them, long after poor Roflknife could be saved (sorry man). It's an OMGUS that puts his would-be voter into the danger zone towards lynching, though, so dressing it up a little surprises me not.

4:2 and 4:3 in fact reduce one of the Three Facts Of Kaze back down to 'I don't think Xanth is the most suspicious player'. How's that for commitment to opinions?

And 4:4 brings us to the unvote for Nilie, despite the latter not having addressed any of the concerns that led to Kaze voting for him in the first place. Okay.

----

Let's bring this into general behaviour:

-In order, has voted for lurker, semi-train, lurker train (-2 to hammer!), cold feet on scum lurker, train.
-Nearly no voting record. Only on the final day's count on day 1.
-Next to no opinions expressed, ever. Honestly, the sum total of opinions we've strained from the guy are LAL, 'Delta has played badly', 'Xanth isn't the most suspicious player' and 'I have muddled views over Nilie and Tom.' ('one might say that I'll vote for whoever has more/fewer votes at a cetain point'). This is easily the worst case of lurking out of all live players, and includes active lurking.
-Only attempt against anyone just so happened to be an OMGUS train. Charges mysteriously dropped despite going unanswered.
-"Trains are bad, but not when I vote on them." Seriously, with the threat of going after Tom that makes for 4 (3 1/2) trains train votes despite apparently hating them.
-Painstakingly nice and friendly and refusing to step on people's toes (including Nilie, even). Arguing with other people might get you with a townie lynch, but wasting around in the middle ground is strictly anti-town.
-Repeated lurking for various reasons. Barely keeping above minimum for most days.  (I know fine well that you've been on IRC a ton more than you've been here - you could at least say that you've got bored of it if you have)

Hey there, it's 2am here. I realise I'm losing my ability to write effectively, but wanted to get to the end. Apologies if it reads poorly towards the end, but I did insist that I got there in time for you guys to have a proper run at discussing everything before the deadline.