Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 666215 times)

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #975 on: February 26, 2009, 08:51:51 PM »
Monster hunter 2 freedom - Killed my first elder dragon. Even if it was just some kind of electric pony.

Kirin isn't an Elder Dragon @_@? It sure is an Elder Quest monster, though!

Name: Kirin
Type: ElrDrg

I'm going by its bio in-game which says its an elder dragon. I myself can't see how its possible but thats what it says.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:54:06 PM by Rozalia »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 26, 2009, 08:54:15 PM »
Gatewalker:  Shurelia?  Nutty?  She's pretty normal.  And boring.

She wants to be raped by her father.  What the fuck.

Is it raped specifically?  Even if it is that's just a minor twist on a fairly standard electra complex, nothing too eyebrow raising really.
I should finish At1 sometime.

She does? I thought she wanted to get raped by the two men who dumped her in the past instead.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 26, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »
Rogues aren't soloing Ony anytime soon unless there is some advancement in Rogue technique that I have missed sadly.

WoW - I am levelling fishing!

There like a new Puzzle Quest game out in case anyway missed the ads around the place.  It is out on Steam for 20 bucks Aus, so probably reasonable price elsewhere.  I assume it it is out/coming for other systems as well.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 26, 2009, 09:29:32 PM »
World of Warcraft: I am officially a hardcore raider. Downed C'thun for the second time, and cleared SSC yesterday. Har, har.

Honestly, they are actually pretty fun places. The fight against Vashj is so hilariously gimmicky, but it makes for a unique and even somewhat challenging encounter at 80.

How many times have you soloed Ony harrrrrrrr.

See Grefter.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #979 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »
SO4- FUCK the first encounter with the Phantoms. Fuck it so hard.

I don't even know how long the stupid gauntlet I'm supposed to run is because I get up to the seventh consecutive fight against these dudes and I just can't keep up anymore. Fuck it so hard.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 27, 2009, 12:59:55 AM »
Persona 4 - Seeing how I finished Yukiko's castle early on, I spent some time working on my social links before I did some level grinding.  My characters are now around Level 15.  I tried to fight another boss in the castle, but he killed me in one turn.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #981 on: February 27, 2009, 04:12:13 AM »
There like a new Puzzle Quest game out in case anyway missed the ads around the place.  It is out on Steam for 20 bucks Aus, so probably reasonable price elsewhere.  I assume it it is out/coming for other systems as well.

Puzzle Quest? I'm in.

Soppy: Okay, could you test something kinda vague for me? Get both Stahn and Leon on your team, and see which one of them dies/needs healing the most often. I found that Leon, despite having worse stats then Stahn at nearly everything, almost never died and Stahn got himself killed contantly. And this wasn't a one time thing, this behaviour was very consistant througout the game. And yeah, both on the same AI settings. I talked to Xer about this awhile back and neither of us could figure out what was up with that. So I'm wondering if they're like that for you too, or if it's just my game somehow.

While I was doing the stat topic, Leon seemed to die at the expected rate to me. I actually ended up having trouble levelling him because he died much more often than the other ToD characters.  Of course, this compounded the problem at later levels where Rutee and Stahn were about 3 levels higher than him.

-Djinn

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 27, 2009, 04:16:31 AM »
WAXF: Chap 2 beaten! Yeah, I went through that really fast while Chap 1 took me a while, what of it?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 27, 2009, 05:13:21 AM »
PWI:  As if there was any doubt before, I am an idiot.  I'd been avoiding the Diamond Sutra skill because it uses a Spark.  Turns out, it's a Spark very well spent.  So much money wasted on healing potions... :(

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 27, 2009, 05:18:40 AM »
Persona 4 - Seeing how I finished Yukiko's castle early on, I spent some time working on my social links before I did some level grinding.  My characters are now around Level 15.  I tried to fight another boss in the castle, but he killed me in one turn.

The giant king guy and his rampage attack? Yeah, that's a bitch. I did the same thing, running in to fight him ASAP. You really need to be a higher level for that boss just so you can survive his physicals. Either grind some more, or wait until you've done some of the next dungeon. That's what I ended up doing. I think I was low 20's when I beat him. A physical resistant persona really helps too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:27:35 AM by Ryogo »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 27, 2009, 05:20:17 AM »
Soppy: Okay, could you test something kinda vague for me? Get both Stahn and Leon on your team, and see which one of them dies/needs healing the most often. I found that Leon, despite having worse stats then Stahn at nearly everything, almost never died and Stahn got himself killed contantly. And this wasn't a one time thing, this behaviour was very consistant througout the game. And yeah, both on the same AI settings. I talked to Xer about this awhile back and neither of us could figure out what was up with that. So I'm wondering if they're like that for you too, or if it's just my game somehow.

I see it, but I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't said anything. Leon seems to fight like a Theif while Stahn fights more like a Swordsman. Strange since they're both the same class. Stahn definately gets into melee range a lot more while Leon ducks in and out.

I get this strange Arche/Reid feeling with a lot of the skits they're both in... it's really wierd.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #986 on: February 27, 2009, 06:04:26 AM »

I get this strange Arche/Reid feeling with a lot of the skits they're both in... it's really wierd.

Possibly because Arche and Reid are anime tropes that more closely resemble modern-day personalities (possibly even similar to people you know), and the result is that they seem like people who would actually get along under circumstances that didn't require them to save the world.

Don't really see it as a pairing, but I understand that vibe you're getting here, at least.

By the by, have you abused Arche's 'fly above all short-range physicals and most ST magic spells' cheese yet? It works a lot better in Radiant Mythology than it ever did in ToP. Raining down magical death when nearly nothing can attack you is surprisingly fun.

-Djinn

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 27, 2009, 06:05:50 AM »
P4 - ...

Teddie is such a scene-stealer.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 27, 2009, 07:21:35 AM »

You take 2 good characters and your healer.  Wait until everyone has their turns up, Use 2 good character's for damage, your healer (This is assuming that is Frog/Marle because using robot for healing = no)

Heal Beam has a better multiplier and Robo has better starting magic than Frog to boot.   Marle with Heal would have been something, but she doesn't have it.

If you really want to be safe you can focus on one at a time, put them to sleep, and/or have Lucca use Fire after your stronger attackers beat the crap out of them.   Falcon Strike in particular makes quick work of them, and some of you might be insane enough to have Luminaire/Triple Kick by then as well.   

As far as SFIV, you can't really two scoop anymore  (I guess it needs to read neutral?) and some of the true combo timing is insanely precise (as opposed to linking moves), but otherwise it's quite forgiving.   

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 27, 2009, 08:44:54 AM »
Monster hunter 2 freedom - Killed my first elder dragon. Even if it was just some kind of electric pony.

I'm going by its bio in-game which says its an elder dragon. I myself can't see how its possible but thats what it says.

Oh, pff. That explains a couple of things. Don't ever recall my bio saying it was of that type, but I could be misremembering - Plus mine is a Japanese copy. Go kill Tigrex already.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: February 27, 2009, 09:05:54 AM »
Star Ocean 4 - Started. Seems like it could be pretty good, very different from other SOs[much more emphasis on enemy targetting and counterattacks/spacing rather than spamming moves or managing fury], with actual sci fi for a change.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: February 27, 2009, 09:06:58 AM »

Oh, pff. That explains a couple of things. Don't ever recall my bio saying it was of that type, but I could be misremembering - Plus mine is a Japanese copy. Go kill Tigrex already.

I already beat one. Took me a bleeding 45 minutes using a bow, yeah I suck.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 27, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »
I already beat one. Took me a bleeding 45 minutes using a bow, yeah I suck.

That actually seems understandable, using a Bow/Gun to kill Tigrex is doable, but at the beginning, you don't really get some strong bows/guns compared to, say, SnS and Katanas. You could take the cheap way out and use the Devil Slicer, but that's boring (not to mention hideously cruel!)
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »
Falcon Strike in particular makes quick work of them, and some of you might be insane enough to have Luminaire/Triple Kick by then as well. 

Was I the only one crazy enough to have Luminaire before going into Magus's Castle?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 27, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »

You take 2 good characters and your healer.  Wait until everyone has their turns up, Use 2 good character's for damage, your healer (This is assuming that is Frog/Marle because using robot for healing = no)

Heal Beam has a better multiplier and Robo has better starting magic than Frog to boot.   Marle with Heal would have been something, but she doesn't have it.

If you really want to be safe you can focus on one at a time, put them to sleep, and/or have Lucca use Fire after your stronger attackers beat the crap out of them.   Falcon Strike in particular makes quick work of them, and some of you might be insane enough to have Luminaire/Triple Kick by then as well.  

I could laugh in your face about CT enemy damage and the need for high multipliers, but I won't.  CT is a ridiculously easy game where outside of doing something very wrong on Golem Twins the worst MT damage you are going to take that you are realistically going to survive is Giga Gaia pretty much.  Robos healing costs more than Frog/Marle and has actual damage that you should be spending his turns on, unlike Frog outside of Dual Techs and Marle outside of Dual techs that are a complete and total waste of time.  The real case in point here though is that the damage even Golem Twins do when you are using the method I put forward is laughable enough that you can have Marle, the efficient ST healer spend the vast majority of her turns attacking instead of healing and bonus points for attacking with everyone MT right off the bat instead of having Lucca have to piss fart around with lucky sleep casts.

There is no need to do shit fancy with sleep when there is a tactic that is essentially spam MT attacks 9/10 of your turns.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 27, 2009, 11:59:23 AM »
Falcon Strike in particular makes quick work of them, and some of you might be insane enough to have Luminaire/Triple Kick by then as well.

Was I the only one crazy enough to have Luminaire before going into Magus's Castle?

Not really, I had Luminaire ludicrously early too

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 27, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
Finished my Mystic Quest replay.

Haven't done a great deal else on the gaming front recently though for some reason. I bought DQ5 last week and FE DS today, but I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to actually playing them.

Was going to replay Neo SRW but it was deciding to fail on epsxe and ssspsx and I can't really be bothered trying to recreate whatever settings I played through it initially with. Somewhat disappointing.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 27, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »
TF2: Last night I was on Badwater playing around with Sandman. I was alone and saw a Heavy with Medic in tow coming at me, so I start pistol sniping the Medic. Apparently I did enough damage as he uses his uber, so I pull out Sandman and proceed to chain stun the Heavy for the entire duration. When the uber starts flickering I stun the Heavy once more for good luck and splatter the medic with a point blank scootergun blast, then take off to find some health and let my lost ball recharge before Heavy wakes up.

Couple seconds later Medic bans me for hacking.

fuck yeah sandman

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 27, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »
Golden Sun: Fighting the Manticore. Already died once in this damned desert, though. >_>

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #999 on: February 27, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
SO4- I think Claude's grandfather or whatever just accidentally founded the PGF? Call it a feeling. Now I think Claude being promoted eight times in one year is actually kind of lowballing him. Besides that, I finally got access to the IC materials for the good stuff. Apparently I kind of screwed myself by levelling smithing too fast, so I am missing a bunch of mid-range stuff I could have been using. I'm not SURE if that has anything to do with what you learn to make, but call it a feeling.