Author Topic: Music Tournament Aftermath ~Clash of the Champions~  (Read 3071 times)

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Music Tournament Aftermath ~Clash of the Champions~
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:31:42 AM »
Well, we've finished off the music tournament proper, but there's one more thing I'm curious about.  You may recall that I removed the top four songs from CK's tournament from eligibility for nominations this time around so that we could get some fresh blood into the mix.  Turned out it didn't work as well as I hoped since around half of the last top 16 that weren't cut were repeats, but so it goes.  Anyway, I wanted to see how last year's top four would match up against this year's, so here's a little round-robin matchup just to see what would happen.  Links to listen to all songs and a little download pack for the four from last year are below the matchups.

Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2)
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa)
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X)

The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2)
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa)
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X)

EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2)
EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa)
EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X)

Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2)
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa)
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X)

IMEEM LINKS:

Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant)
EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2)
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve)

GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING
Divine Identity
Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
Someday the Dream will End

And lastly, a Mediafire link for a .rar of the final four from last year:  http://www.mediafire.com/?ymjxolytiyn
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:33:49 AM by Yakumo »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament Aftermath ~Clash of the Champions~
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 03:53:14 AM »
Divine Identity>Main Theme>Someday the dream will end>The Fate~ Cluster Amaryllis>Nefertiti>Genesis>Schirach>Exec Sphila

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:49:51 AM »
Someday the Dream will End - One of the better pieces Uematsu's done.  Also works great in-game.
GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING - Still mildly annoyed at the last 6 seconds.  Only reason this loses the tiebreak to Dream.
EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2)
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) - A bit too understated to beat SPHILIA, I think.  The Fate gets huge points for working well in-game, but that can only carry it so far.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) - The top 4 are all very close.  This one is a bit beneath them, but still Godlike tier.

-- (gap) --

Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
Divine Identity - The first minute and 20 seconds is a great start, but then it loops.  This is even shorter than Nefertiti's loop.
Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- Eh, I like it, but this was my least favorite of the RSMS tracks in before.  Not that special despite decent technical composition.

Re the repeats: If another tourney is run, just disqualify the top 16 from both competitions or something?  Beats me.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:09:06 AM »
Round robins are stupid because music quality is ordered.

1) Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve)
2) GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING
3) Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
4) EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2)
5) The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant)
6) Divine Identity
7) Someday the Dream will End
8) Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:35:24 AM »

1. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
2. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2)
3. Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve)
4. The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant)
5. GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING
6. Divine Identity
7. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
8. Someday the Dream will End
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 01:10:50 PM »
1. GENESIS FROM BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
2. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- (Romancing SaGa)
3. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Toneliko 2)
4. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2)
5. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
6. Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve)
7. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X)
8. The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant)
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »
I'm likely to be quite self-contradictory in ordering, so I'm just gonna do the round robin thing, because that makes it generally easier for me.

Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin) - Maaan this took a ridiculous amount of listening to. Think I checked each track about 5 times before actually deciding. Nice match.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2) - Ohhhh maaan. Turns out Nefertiti did provide some closer matches after all! Uhm... Damn. Another close one. I... think Nefertiti takes this. Barely.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa) - Hunh. Pretty much the same thing, only better.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X) - Ahahahahahaha. Ha.

The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin) - Wow. Clean sweep for Fate. Genesis is damn awesome, but not in the slightest bit memorable, it seems. I remember thinking Fate was the most memorable track in the tourney before I'd played SH2. Seeing as both are awesome, that's enough to decide this match.
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2) - Ooh, this should be more interesting. Brahman's a tune with a lot of emotion, so quite similar to The Fate... but yet a very different style, so not all that similar. Hunh. Brahman starts strong, then dips slightly, then picks up again. The Fate starts slow and builds up into something good. That build-up provides a much better effect with no downtime after the good sections, so... yeah.
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa) - The Fate has a beautifully crafted build-up to an excellent piece of music. Seriously, this should have won. Awakening Memory is pretty damn awesome, but doesn't have even a shred of the emotion that The Fate excels in, and wins with.
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X) - The Fate seems that much more awesome now that I know the scene in-game. It would have completely outclassed Someday regardless.

EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin) - Yeah, so the last tourney apparently played to my tastes much more than this one. At least Nefertiti will provide some close matches!
EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2) - Damn, this was a close one. Brahman is an awesome track, and a style I really like, but not an amazingly brilliant version of it. Exec is an odd style that I don't like, but done well. Prefer Brahman overall, methinks.
EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa) - This is exactly the sort of song I like. It's not an amazing example of the style, but personal preference means I rank this much higher than Exec.
EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X) - The first 20 seconds of Someday are the best, and those don't compare to any of Exec.

Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin) - Hunh. Genesis is good, but really fades into the background... It took me a couple of listens to get anything out of this, 'cause I kept forgetting it was there. That'll be used in a tiebreak as the decider, but it's not needed here. Beats the Main Theme pretty easily.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2) - Hunh. I remember thinking Brahman was really good in-game. Out of it, it doesn't work anywhere near as well. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the main theme, so it takes the win here easily enough.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa) - Not really much to say here. Prefer Awakening Memory, simple as that. It's more upbeat, has better composition, although less emotion. Relatively close, but not enough to not vote.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X) - So, I don't know why, but I'm starting at the bottom. Expect comments to not make sense as a result. Anyway, Someday the Dream is just so... blah. It's so plain. Especially when compared to some of the other Uematsu stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the main theme, but it's definitely the winner here.

Okay, so I could just do a list, but I wrote those comments and I'm keeping them there, dammit.

The Fate: 4-0
Nefertiti: 3-1
Exec: 1-3
Main Theme: 1-3

To put this another way:
Fate > Schirach > Nefertiti > Brahman > Genesis > Exec > Main Theme > Someday.

Just wondering, what were the winner/runner-up from the last tourney out of the 4 tracks here? If Someday won the tourney, I think I'll shoot someone. ;o

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 05:33:45 PM »
1. GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING
2. EXEC_SPHILIA/.
3. Main Theme (Orchestral)
4. Divine Identity
5. Someday the Dream will End
6. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
7. Nefertiti
8. The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis

EDIT for Yoshi: I believe last time's finals were GENESIS over Schirach.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 07:14:11 PM »
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa)

The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2)
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa)
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X)

EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa)

Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2)
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-  (Romancing SaGa)
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Someday the Dream will End (Final Fantasy X)

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 11:52:15 PM »
Favorite to least favorite (although they're all good, really).

1.) EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Toneliko 2)
2.) GENESIS FROM BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
3.) The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant)
4.) Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- (Romancing SaGa)
5.) Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2)
6.) Someday the Dream Will End (Final Fantasy X)
7.) Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
8.) Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve)

--------------------

And just for the hell of it:

1.) Falcom jdk Band 2008 Spring - Silver Will (The Legend of Heroes Sora no Kiseki 1st)
2.) EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Toneliko 2)
3.) GENESIS FROM BEYOND THE BEGINNING (Ys Origin)
4.) The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant)
5.) AmIEviL - Final Fantasy 3 Death on the Snowfield OC ReMix (Final Fantasy 6)
6.) Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- (Romancing SaGa)
7.) Divine Identity (Digital Devil Saga 2)
8.) Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4)
9.) Someday the Dream Will End (Final Fantasy X)
10.) Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
11.) Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve)
12.) Touhou Violin 2 - Symphony "Remilia" Op. 22 (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:54:43 PM by Lance »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »
1.EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2)
2.Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve)
3.GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING
4.Someday the Dream will End
5.Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
6.Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
7.The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant)
8.Divine Identity

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 12:47:44 AM »
Easy right side sweep. Man, the second contest fails.

Genesis > Shirach > Someday the Dream will End > Divine Identity > Nefirtiti > Fate > Sphilia > Main Theme if you want a more specific order.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:25:51 PM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »
1. GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING
2. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2)
3. Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
4. Nefertiti (Mana Khemia)
5. Divine Identity
6. The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant)
7. Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve)
8. Someday the Dream will End
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 07:27:39 AM »
Main Theme>Divine Identity>EXEC_SPHILIA/.>Calling An Awakening Memory>Someday Dream Will End>GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING>Cluster Amaryllis>Nefertiti