Author Topic: Clue Mafia - Game Over  (Read 27422 times)

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
Re: Clue Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2008, 04:07:36 AM »
QR: Well. Alex and Meeple are my biggest suspects at the moment. However, I'm voting for Meeple and would rather see him hang over Alex; if for nothing else, it's because Alex has in general seemed to be less reactionary and less sensationalist, and somewhat more logical in his accusations, as well as having his own ideas in general and responding to threats against him in a more rational tone. The fact that he's the one coming up with an idea (which he later dropped) that Meeple picked up and then ran away with gave him a bit more cred, especially seeing as it feels like Meeple is still arguing that point.

<->

Despite looking better than Meeple, he's still not looking *good* to me. Forex-

Quote from: 'Alex'
From start to finish town ignored major playstyles (in WaDF, along with an implication they're doing the same here.

The biggest problem I DO have with his play is, indeed, his playstyle; it's read to me like he's defending Meeple's right to make mistakes, followed by stirring the pot and trying to spread suspicion in basically every direction. This is made more evident by his reaction to QR- "Stop talking about me!" was the gist of it, no? It all strikes me as a play designed to mutiliate focused discussion and instead try and dilute it, along with what seems like a stated ignorance of 'details'- when, in the end, details are all we have to talk about.

<->

I'm gonna throw this back at you, QR- why do you want to vote Alex over Meeple? Same question to Kilga, and I also want Soppy to elaborate on who he'd present vote for (if not, y'know, actually vote.)

Frankly, I just want to see more out of Sopko and Kilga in particular. I don't really think either of them have been lurking, but Kilga seemed to trail off after the MeepleRant, and Sopko still feels like he's sitting on the sidelines.

<->

Ninja'd be Meeple AGAIN.

As far as the whole me-being-outside-Alex's-excluded list thing, it was mainly because I don't consider myself a suspect, whereas I do think as much of you two. I do think it was dumb of me, but my point on Alex is that he's trying to pretend he's got something and listing half the game as suspects is still out there.

I am... curious that you seem to think Alex is scum. That isn't the feeling I've got from you at all during your posts- indeed, I've said before it seemed like you were supporting him. Care to elaborate on why you think so? I'm not sure on Kilga myself; I've wondered if he hasn't been reading my posts despite fairly large segments of his content having to do with 'em, given how he missed my point earlier.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2008, 04:18:07 AM »
I'm gonna throw this back at you, QR- why do you want to vote Alex over Meeple? Same question to Kilga, and I also want Soppy to elaborate on who he'd present vote for (if not, y'know, actually vote.)

Believe me, if I could vote for both of them at the same time I'd do it. Really, the only reason my vote is on Alex right now is because it was already there. I would have no problem switching to Meeple if a situation called for it.

If it seems like I've trailed off at this point it's because other people are saying things I want to say but better than I would've said them.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2008, 04:20:51 AM »
Still waiting on that omnibus Alex post, but two things.

We seem to have split into two factions today which... scares me, regardless of the outcome of a scum/town lynch. Come tomorrow, it'll be more apparant.

Second is that Alex seems to be, rightfully so, in hyper defensive mode. Not a problem, but for the most part it seems like he's trying to say "A vote for me means you're a bad player". Note, that is a conclusion I am arriving at based on his arguments. Attributing it to him would be wrong. It gets REALLY difficult to discern things real fast once metagaming arguments are brought in on either side, but say what you will about being a good player and bad player and what it takes to be either... this kind of argument is always a red flag once I start even feeling someone may be using it. I still have a bad feeling about Kilga, but between Alex's personal rant against the metagaming and his most recent defenses of himself, I'm ready to vote Alex. I'll give him the curtosy of letting him post his second half though.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2008, 04:33:17 AM »
I am... curious that you seem to think Alex is scum. That isn't the feeling I've got from you at all during your posts- indeed, I've said before it seemed like you were supporting him. Care to elaborate on why you think so? I'm not sure on Kilga myself; I've wondered if he hasn't been reading my posts despite fairly large segments of his content having to do with 'em, given how he missed my point earlier.

Its mostly the way Alex is playing, it feels like someone related to his argument feels scummy.

Kilga as I've said is my suspect; I've been over this, still think its the case.

QR...feels like she's provoking discussion.  As I said, her cases on Alex feel like the best at the moment, and while not quite enough, they resort to more than meta-gaming.

And there's you, which...well, I'm not sure at all.  Its really hard to read at this point; I keep thinking at one point you seem fine...then you seem a bit scummy...then you seem fine...yeah, I think I'm in the same boat with you that Alex was with Soppy (and unsure if he's still feeling that way ABOUT Soppy.)  I can't put my finger on it, but you're hardest to read.

As far the others, to complete this list, and not just talk about people related to Alex?

Soppy's giving a neutral read, with a slight town feel; hasn't been discussing that much, but he's still contributing to it some.

El Cid feels like a town at the moment.  Once he got out of his lurking phase, he did start contributing, and giving reasons for voting and such.  I can't find anything scummy with what he's doing, and while he is voting against me, he gave his reasons and sounds like I am just not giving him the response he wants to convince him otherwise (though sounds like he's having second thoughts at the same time? At least that's the impression I got.)

My argument around being "pro-Alex" if you want to call it that? Its more that I'm just finding evidence being held against him as not really viable.  QR brought up some points, but I'm not sure its enough.  I also do agree with a decent amount of what he's said, but that's more him being an experienced player and going into the physics of the game, which doesn't say much to me one way or another.

Like Soppy said, I want to wait to see the second half of Alex's post.

Regarding me and staying to the point?  That's something I really have to work on in general; if you know me, you'll know I don't drop things easily ANYWHERE, and I tend to hurt myself over it.  I apologize for that general annoyance (hate to use that "That's me being me!" thing again, but...well, its true.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2008, 04:40:54 AM »
Part 2!

Kilga, first and foremost.

Page 1 - no serious posts.  (forgets octothorpes when voting, I'm surprised he's not trying to attack me for not having pointed this mistake out yet.)

Page 2A:
On the other other hand, why is Alex attacking someone for attacking someone for either using bad logic or simply not paying attention? I'm not sure how Rat would be trying to stifle conversation by answer-prod-voting someone.

It sucks knowing that at least one (and most likely more) of these views is (are) wrong...Excal looks the least of three evils, since all I can really hold against him is one line...
*votes for Alex*

Accusing Person A of trying to stifle conversation by voting for Person B and then voting for Person A in the process seems somewhat hypocritical to me (in addition to being nonsensical, as questioned above), and is, at least, more concrete than what might just be me misinterpreting Corwin's internal thought process. I feel this almost got lost in the midst of Corwin/Excal, which I don't like, so this vote doubles as a friendly reminder for everyone.

At this point in the game voting on the early stuff is fine, but his line of logic is faulty.  B (Sopko) votes A (Meeple) for some pretext to get discussion started.  C (Rat) votes B for voting on a pretext (ghost line: to get discussion started).  D (me) votes C for voting B on the reasoning that C is unproductively voting against starting discussion.  E (Kilga) now comes in, says D is also voting against discussion - then votes D.  But this doesn't work out.  D's vote only stifles discussion if any vote in the chain's does.  Which means that E's vote does the same thing, and Kilga himself is being hypocritical in the same way he accuses me of being.  Extended, anyone voting anyone for any of this is stifling discussion... of course this is bunk and only the C vote is directly anti-discussion.   At this point it is an (apparent) minor logical error on Kilga's part, but it will continue to be played on later.

Then at the bottom of page 2:
Kil, though, I'm suspicious of. His vote on Alex is incredibly flimsy and he doesn't really contribute much other than that other than bringing up behavior from past games, as Corwin said.

I'd love an explanation as to how my vote is "incredibly flimsy".

Also I was unaware that Excal's 20% line happened in a previous game. Regardless, I don't see why referencing previous games even matters one way or the other. I saw someone that did not appear to be consistent with themselves, and I noted it (while tagging said note with a potential for misunderstanding, as the two situations are not exactly the same). Is that a problem?

Already defending metagaming vs Excal?

Page 3:
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9732#msg9732

Here he first calls Sopko's Meeple vote incorrect, saying Meeple couldn't fly under the radar this early.  Also continues the argument over the chain votes being pro or anti discussion.

http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9741#msg9741

Votes Meeple for the now infamous mistake. 

Page 4:
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9805#msg9805
- The discussion starting thing was WIFOM because your saying "provoking discussion is not something scum want to do" is exactly why they WOULD want to do it, and then we have our loop. You may say that scum might be afraid the discussion would turn back around on them, but I imagine that it's a risk worth taking if they're going to get town cred right off the bat for it (which you, for example, were willing to do with "In fairness, that does actually remove suspicion from you in an odd sense").
Why, then, is the discussion starting chain a cause for cases, if Kilga's going to (correctly) assert that it's too WIFOMY to draw much out of?  He says he finds hypocrisy and contradictions in it - but as stated above, if my vote is hypocritical how is his own not?  This is his last post on day 1.

Page 5:
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9871#msg9871
If I'm correct that it's about Meeple's misinterpretation of Rat, he retracted it promptly and it is a mistake of reading rather than of WTF like the glaring scum mistakes usually are.  (Addressing dead people, etc, see Super and Rat in prior games)  I see it as neutral and not a large issue.

What the heck? This is the second time this game that you've discarded someone else's mistake as a non-issue. The town Alex I know would be all over this stuff, not sweeping it under the rug. This isn't like you at all.

Not to mention that your actions in downplaying mistakes seem an awful lot more like attempts at stifling conversation than Rat's vote for Sopko.

Votes Alex

Here's where Kilga falls off the cliff for me, so to speak.  He says that twice this game I've discarded mistakes as non-issues.  This is flat out wrong, as I detailed in my responses on that page.  He calls metagaming on me, which we've also been over, and accuses me of stifling conversation by downplaying mistakes - Meeple's and Sopko's.  This is also wrong.  Note that he's again equating Meeple and Sopko's actions, calling them scummy, and calling me scummy for not joining in.  Primarily, however, note that he's calling someone saying "This is a minor case to me" stifling discussion, and voting on it.  If downplaying something you see as a minor mistake is accepted as scummy behavior, town is obligated to concentrate on minor mistakes wherever and whenever someone brings them up!  This is holding town at gunpoint to concentrate on details - precisely the scum line I see being pushed in this game, and right here, Kilga's the pusher. 

Backed up again by his next post: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9880#msg9880

http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9897#msg9897
- At no point did I say "Meeple's acting like Meeple, SCUM!" I said the equivalent of "Meeple's acting like Meeple when he was scum before, SCUM!". There's a very large difference, and I'd appreciate it if you could start using the latter instead of the former when discussing my past arguments against you. It doesn't help you that "me too"ism is easy for scum to fall into, either.

"I'll thank you to metagame properly, sir."  This post is where he last mentions the "Meeple has a me-too" playstyle argument, and in this paragraph he puts it as secondary to metagaming.

- Your mistake is not that only strike against you, whereas I haven't seen much of anything else about Sopko that looks bad. So yes, there is a difference there as well.

Really?  What else, except for metagaming and me-tooism?  Those are the only three things he's mentioned - and his vote is still resting on me, not Meeple.  Apparently it's WORSE to call mistakes minor when they aren't your own?

- This is the first time I've said anything of the "this isn't the Alex I know" variety. Now my entire argument is based around that one phrase? So we're just going to throw out the fact that my first serious vote was on him too then? I don't think so.

His first serious vote was logically unsound, but that's still what he retreats to here.  He's right, though, he voted me for metagaming and "stifling conversation" by downplaying Meeple's mistake (and Sopko's non-mistake).  As he's about to say:

Uh, that's not a case. In that scenario, he doesn't bother to explain why one time mistakes aren't a big deal or why misinterpretation especially falls into this category. (Alex's cases were actually "flimsy Day 1 cases are okay", which didn't really apply since the case was flat-out incorrect, and "misinterpretations happen", which is true but that doesn't mean they get a free pass.)

So the overriding reason to vote me is that I didn't bother to explain why one time mistakes aren't a big deal?  Again, drawing conversation towards trivialities, saying anyone who makes them needs to be cracked down on and calling Sopko incorrect again, when by this time it's been established that he was not - he was referring to a timespan, in which Meeple was indeed gone.

It is also worth noting that in this page he mentions and defends Rat quite a bit.

Grammatical mistakes are one thing. Gameplay mistakes are another. The fact remains that you are, in effect, defending the right to play poorly, which is very much an anti-town stance.

No, I'm not.  I'm defending the right to make single, minor mistakes in reading, and my responses on this page made that very clear.  Equating this with "defending the right to play poorly" is a flatly untrue smear, and one that again promotes the agenda of forcing town to concentrate on any mistake or detail, no matter how small. 

Page 6:
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9930#msg9930
Again pressing Meeple on a triviality and again making Rat look good... while ignoring Rat's mistake at the end of page 5, which I'll cover shortly. 
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9953#msg9953
Oh, well, looks like Kilga was wrong.  But Rat's just metagaming so it's still all good eh.
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg10010#msg10010
Accuses me of strawmanning.  Except that it's an example, not a straw man - I consider what Meeple did to be the equivalent of a simple grammatical mistake.  He saw Rat voting, he saw Rat commenting on the transition from joke to serious, he mentally connected the two.  And yet again, this is a trivial issue.  In fact it's a trivial issue ABOUT a trivial issue.

The only people Kilga has expressed serious suspicion of all game are myself and Meeple, both over trivialities and metagaming.  He did mention Meeple's style, but has constantly shied away from using that as a basis for a case except when backed by metagaming.  This is why my vote is on Kilga.

--------------

My other two main suspects at this point are Rat and QR. 

First, an aside to QR's latest post - the metagaming stuff applies to Kilga, not you.  The talk of hammering me is as you say, and not meant as an attack on you, but I hope you can understand why I find it quite distressing.  The point you bring, though, is in fact my listed point #1, my vote for Rat.  You say I was twisting his words.  I was not, I was finding an implication in them.  We've had that particular debate before - and in this case, as I've kept pointing out, my vote there was also a discussion starter, not a serious lynch-Rat attack. 

I've been over QR some before.  95%+ of her content is on or about me.  Even the discussion she's started with Meeple recently makes heavy mention of me and seems to judge Meeple based on what he thinks about me.  Read that post again, this one's growing long so I won't quote it again, but note the repetition of "Alex is scummy, Alex is scummy, Alex is scummy" injected into talking about Meeple.  I find this focus grounds for suspicion in and of itself - all the more so when she called for more discussion that wasn't about me, when at the time she hadn't contributed any herself (and still barely has).  Even more so when noting the striking similarities this bears to Kilga's behavior. 

There has been plenty of discussion on everyone (except QR herself) all game, lack of material is not (in my judgment) an acceptable excuse with the way this game's gone.  I feel that she is effectively getting away with this focus by virtue of her conference limiting her time, and is taking advantage of this to post in a manner that she would surely be called out for otherwise. 

I also take issue with what she's been saying, as I said three paragraphs up.  She's just outright said that the main reason she finds me scummy is my first vote for Rat.  Which is absolutely trivial, half the game wasn't even present, it was a discussion starter, all the things that I've said before which she keeps on ignoring while she founds her sole case of the game on a single incident of a position I took when coming out of jokevote phase, did not seriously press, and have copiously explained since. 

Yeah, I'm just repeating myself here.  It's like she hasn't even read anything I've said past page 1 of the game, and she's openly saying it and somehow nobody's calling her on it?  There's no way this sort of tunnel vision would be tolerated if she didn't have limited time as an excuse.  If she drew scum, this is exactly what I'd expect her to do in a limited time situation - hide behind it and press for a single mislynch, since she'd likely be sunk in endgame anyhow.  If she drew town, I have no explanation as to why she's playing this way.  Even if she's town and truly believes she's right, she's painting herself into a corner with nowhere to go after she gets me lynched.  Which, since that's going to be LYLO, will probably lose the game.  Which is why I think it very unlikely she'd play this way as town.

She is now also attacking me for being reactive.  Which I must admit I have been.  It is a natural response to her hounding me exclusively all game, and others buying into the stuff Kilga's pushing.  There are only two scum, so I know townies are buying, and that frustrates me immensely.
----

Rat.

Soppy: Ehhh. I dunno, it feels like you've taken Alex to task today for stuff he's done on day 1, and didn't then. But it's a relatively minor concern at this point.

Alex: Way to list over half the current players still alive and say "I think one of these guys is scum!" Anyone can do some basic probability and put out that stuff. I note both of my suspects (being yourself and Meeple) don't appear on that list. This seems like a ridiculous way of trying to strongarm discussion into all the parts of the game that don't include you; instead of really accusing others, it seems to say "Meeple and I are not scum!" more than anything else.

I am generally hesitant to point to links between players, but this feels almost ridiculously blatant. As far as the Wolverine game goes... that's the game where everyone thought you'd tried to lie, then abruptly realised how stupid it was. Just because you screwed up in one game isn't going to give anyone a pass to do it, and if anyone pulled the same thing again, I'd vote for them, just like back then.

Meeple: I don't have time to go through your entire post, but I can say this.

And Rat brings Soppy's original error back up.  Ok, so Soppy coming out and openly claiming something that is LESS true than what I said is suddenly not as bad as "Skimming a post -> misinterpreting"?   There's something that doesn't fit here.  I smell inconsistency all over the place.  Soppy gets called on an obvious mistake...then people decide to overlook it.
THEN I get called on a mistake not long after, and people keep going on over it.

Soppy's mistake is *somewhat* forgivable for getting things started. My understanding now is that it was based on the distance between your posts in terms of time. I still found it strange, but it's a fairly trivial detail at this point. Your *mistake* is not only based on you reading the thread wrong, but leaping onto the argument of someone else. They are different, in both how the mistake was actually made as well as the actual magnitude.

What.

I've covered before why it's absurd to say I'm scummy for being suspicious of 4/7 people.  In addition to that he attempts to draw a connection between me and Meeple - which falls apart completely because I also did not mention RAT HIMSELF.  This IS the sort of massive error scum make.  I don't see any way it makes sense with Rat being town.  It's also pressing me on a triviality.  He also lines up with myself and Meeple being his two suspects.  Kilga defends him a lot over the last couple of pages.  This post ALONE is enough to make me vote Rat, it's just that I'm more certain on Kilga.

-----

Responses to stuff posted as I made this:
Soppy - Yes.  I'm saying that voting me based on the four arguments I outlined is very bad play.  Metagaming is bad play.  Overemphasizing trivialities, both minor mistakes and earlygame discussion votes, is bad play.  Saying that someone is scummy because they say 4/7 people are suspicious to them is bad play.  Saying that someone is strongarming discussion by saying "This doesn't seem like a big issue to me" is bad play. 

Saying that you find my earlygame vote on Rat wrong and scummy is not bad play, though I think it is wrong.  Basing an entire case on it and pursuing it to the extent QR has?  That's bad play. 

Think about it.  For Sopko particularly, put yourself in my shoes - because a case based on my vote for Rat can be just as applied to your first vote for Meeple. 

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2008, 04:43:27 AM »
I have one more reply in me tonight and then I have to crash.  Hopefully I'll be able to see the rest of Alex' comments tomorrow morning if I can check out quickly enough before the morning conference starts.  I've learned that I MAY be able to skirt the no post during the conference itself thing if I can finagle a seat in the back.  Saw a couple of people back there with laptops on their laps during the last few presentations.  *hmmm*  I think everyone is just as enthralled by this amazing presentation as I am...*slowly dozes off*  We'll see if I can get in a spot where I can actually setup the laptop.

---------------------------------
In response to Carth's 'tossing it back to me'.  Why Alex over Meeple:

My problems with Alex center around several smaller issues that, by themselves probably wouldn't be worth a real scum read, but when combined all together and thrown in with my serious problem with him from Day 1, I still feel he's the most scummy so far.  My major problem was his early word twisting.  I still haven't seen anything that explains that away to my satisfaction.  His insistant harping on the metagame thing is also worrisome as it seems he's trying to dilute everything about people's arguments to the one thing that I totally agree has no merit: saying Alex Wouldn't Do This If He Were Town is...irrelevant.  It may help make up people's mind if they're on the fence and just can NOT think of a way to find a tie breaker between two people but should never be the reason in and of itself.  And personally, I'm not on the fence about him, so my thoughts on Alex/NotAlexPlay are not factored into the equation on this one.  Not everything that people are noting about him can be tied to the metagaming aspect.   And while you find him less reactionary than Meeple, I think I can admit that my reading of the situation may be colored by the fact that he's been very reactionary to me in particular.  And, for reference, I don't find that a scum tell.  If someone were going after me to the exclusion of anyone else, I'd be a bit reactionary too.  I hope that is not coloring my view of him being reactionary to others when they call him out among other points on other people.  But it seems to me that he has been.

Now, on the other paw, I don't find the Meeple arguments completely without merit.  I find him hard to read as I, too, have trouble going through the long Meeplerant posts.  But he has been very content heavy and the few things I've seen of him that feel scummy (the mistakes that you pointed out in your last 3 posts mainly, but also I can see Cid's point about it looking like Meeple exaggerating) don't seem to weigh as heavily for me as the case against Alex does.

NINJA EDIT: Alex posts.  I am going to post this and despite best intentions, will read it and most likely reply before bed.  But getting this out first.
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2008, 04:51:50 AM »
Update!

El Cideon (0): Sir Alex
Sir Alex (2): QuietRain, Kilgamayan
Meeplelard (2): El Cideon, Carthrat
Kilgamayan (2): Meeplelard, Sir Alex

With seven alive, it takes four to lynch. Day 2 ends in 12 hours unless extended (currently discussing that with Andrew). If deadline is reached with no majority, there will be no lynch.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2008, 05:14:20 AM »
I'm not very impressed, Alex. You've basically just gone over your entire argument with Kilga nearly post for post. Much of that is already why I feel Kilga is scummy. 

Your points against QR are valid and duly noted.

I have to say though, you've put yourself over the top for me, especially for your last statement of "be careful, as these things can be applied to you too!" What were you saying about alarmism again?

In the end, bad play = bad play, totally. But bad play =/= scum play 100% of the time. Their reasons for voting for you are not mine, but they are votes for you none the less.

##Vote: Alex

I will ask though. You've probably noticed how we've broken up into pretty distinct factions. What do you think this would mean for us tomorrow if you turn up town?

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2008, 05:27:17 AM »
QR has requested to leave the game. I do not want to modkill a player outright with so few in the game, and am searching for a replacement. By QR's request, her vote will remain on Alex until a replacement steps in; effectively, she is playing but not posting right now. The day will be extended if I can't find anyone pronto.

Update!

Sir Alex (3): QuietRain, Kilgamayan, Hunter Sopko
Meeplelard (2): El Cideon, Carthrat

With seven alive, it takes four to lynch. Day 2 ends in 11.5 hours unless extended. If deadline is reached with no majority, there will be no lynch.
-Ponder Stibbons

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2008, 05:35:21 AM »
Well.  Another QR post entirely about me with a token Meeple mention.

I have to say though, you've put yourself over the top for me, especially for your last statement of "be careful, as these things can be applied to you too!" What were you saying about alarmism again?

I was saying alarmism over voting is bad.  Alarmism over bad play, however, is good, when it is, yknow, actually happening.

In the end, bad play = bad play, totally. But bad play =/= scum play 100% of the time. Their reasons for voting for you are not mine, but they are votes for you none the less.

So, you're voting me because other people are voting me and arguing against me and you're just going with the flow.  What.
THINK!
USE YOUR BRAIN!

I will ask though. You've probably noticed how we've broken up into pretty distinct factions. What do you think this would mean for us tomorrow if you turn up town?

I think we will lose because town will have bought into bad play and have no idea where to go.  This is also why I am arguing so hard tonight, yes - I do not have faith in a town that buys into these reasons to win.  Even after they're proven wrong.  Scum will be able to easily hide behind "Oh well, it's Alex's fault, we all knew he was scummy anyhow!" and go back to attacking people on details. 

I will probably retire from Mafia here as I am tired of being hounded on metagaming and meaningless day 1 stuff every single game.  Either that or just post nothing at all on day 1, except a vote close to deadline.  Apparently that is a winning strategy.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2008, 05:39:41 AM »
And I miss Shale saying QR's going to be replaced.  This does not mean anything to me.  I would expect it from scum or town QR at this point.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2008, 05:45:59 AM »
Alex's latest post has me less suspicious of him, but I still get that kneejerk that Alex is involved with scumplay somehow, either being on the receiving end of it, simply town vs. scum, or he himself is scum, I can't tell.

In any event, I'm curious as to the response of people if Alex gets lynched and flips up Town.  To me, that'd say one of QR, Kilga and Rat are scum, possibly 2, and...yeah, that's about all I can work out at the moment.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2008, 05:52:46 AM »
No, Alex. I'm not just going along with the flow. I'm voting you because you're getting too emotional. I can see you being frustrated with it, but it's still bad, anti-town play to get too emotional over these things. That you're as agitated as you are isn't your fault alone, but the fact remains you rose to the occasion.

I'll concede you the point of the alarmism, but you're misinterpreting the second part and you know it.

Your lack of faith is disturbing. But then, I've never been that great a player, so maybe you're right. Granted, it's if I even survive the night.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2008, 05:54:11 AM »
Okay, nobody has turned up yet, but Gate has agreed to sub in if I can't find someone by morning. Deadline is hereby extended to noon EST on Thursday, February 28, 35 hours from this post.
-Ponder Stibbons

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2008, 06:00:27 AM »
*Ikaruga boss warning*

Page 1 - no serious posts.  (forgets octothorpes when voting, I'm surprised he's not trying to attack me for not having pointed this mistake out yet.)

Why say this? It does nothing but troll. Don't forget that "town has no reason to be uncivil". Leave snide remarks out of things.

On the other other hand, why is Alex attacking someone for attacking someone for either using bad logic or simply not paying attention? I'm not sure how Rat would be trying to stifle conversation by answer-prod-voting someone.

It sucks knowing that at least one (and most likely more) of these views is (are) wrong...Excal looks the least of three evils, since all I can really hold against him is one line...
*votes for Alex*

Accusing Person A of trying to stifle conversation by voting for Person B and then voting for Person A in the process seems somewhat hypocritical to me (in addition to being nonsensical, as questioned above), and is, at least, more concrete than what might just be me misinterpreting Corwin's internal thought process. I feel this almost got lost in the midst of Corwin/Excal, which I don't like, so this vote doubles as a friendly reminder for everyone.

At this point in the game voting on the early stuff is fine, but his line of logic is faulty.  B (Sopko) votes A (Meeple) for some pretext to get discussion started.  C (Rat) votes B for voting on a pretext (ghost line: to get discussion started).  D (me) votes C for voting B on the reasoning that C is unproductively voting against starting discussion.  E (Kilga) now comes in, says D is also voting against discussion - then votes D.  But this doesn't work out.  D's vote only stifles discussion if any vote in the chain's does.  Which means that E's vote does the same thing, and Kilga himself is being hypocritical in the same way he accuses me of being.  Extended, anyone voting anyone for any of this is stifling discussion... of course this is bunk and only the C vote is directly anti-discussion.   At this point it is an (apparent) minor logical error on Kilga's part, but it will continue to be played on later.

You voted Rat for voting Sopko under the premise that Rat's vote is anti-discussion. I didn't (and still don't) see how it was, despite how hard I thought about it. I also saw your argument as "Your vote is anti-discussion! *vote*" when Rat's situation wasn't all that different from yours, which seems hypocritical. Those reasons were why I voted for you, not because I thought you were being anti-discussion. Besides, my anti-discussion line was related to other happenings.

Then at the bottom of page 2:
Kil, though, I'm suspicious of. His vote on Alex is incredibly flimsy and he doesn't really contribute much other than that other than bringing up behavior from past games, as Corwin said.

I'd love an explanation as to how my vote is "incredibly flimsy".

Also I was unaware that Excal's 20% line happened in a previous game. Regardless, I don't see why referencing previous games even matters one way or the other. I saw someone that did not appear to be consistent with themselves, and I noted it (while tagging said note with a potential for misunderstanding, as the two situations are not exactly the same). Is that a problem?

Already defending metagaming vs Excal?

I see no reason not to compare previous game behavior. People have pointed out that it doesn't always work; I therefore must ask for something that does, since it'd be really handy right about now.

As long as we're on the subject, perhaps you could provide an objective proof that metagaming is "bad"?

Page 4:
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9805#msg9805
- The discussion starting thing was WIFOM because your saying "provoking discussion is not something scum want to do" is exactly why they WOULD want to do it, and then we have our loop. You may say that scum might be afraid the discussion would turn back around on them, but I imagine that it's a risk worth taking if they're going to get town cred right off the bat for it (which you, for example, were willing to do with "In fairness, that does actually remove suspicion from you in an odd sense").
Why, then, is the discussion starting chain a cause for cases, if Kilga's going to (correctly) assert that it's too WIFOMY to draw much out of?  He says he finds hypocrisy and contradictions in it - but as stated above, if my vote is hypocritical how is his own not?  This is his last post on day 1.

Explained above. Apparently you've simply mistaken my reasoning for my initial vote for you.

Page 5:
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9871#msg9871
If I'm correct that it's about Meeple's misinterpretation of Rat, he retracted it promptly and it is a mistake of reading rather than of WTF like the glaring scum mistakes usually are.  (Addressing dead people, etc, see Super and Rat in prior games)  I see it as neutral and not a large issue.

What the heck? This is the second time this game that you've discarded someone else's mistake as a non-issue. The town Alex I know would be all over this stuff, not sweeping it under the rug. This isn't like you at all.

Not to mention that your actions in downplaying mistakes seem an awful lot more like attempts at stifling conversation than Rat's vote for Sopko.

Votes Alex

Here's where Kilga falls off the cliff for me, so to speak.  He says that twice this game I've discarded mistakes as non-issues.  This is flat out wrong, as I detailed in my responses on that page.

One

Sopko's initial vote on Meeple was absolutely flimsy, yes.  This is excusable to me because it's the first serious issue brought up.  The first day 1 issue is *always* going to be spurious (discounting role madness, which doesn't apply here).  Its main use lies not in being a serious lynch case, but in providing a platform for people to start making serious arguments.  Actual cases develop from checking out how people respond to and argue about the discussion sparkers.  This is just how the game flows.  Sopko threw a discussion-start vote into the water, Corwin and Rat responded, and I did not like Rat's response. 

The first case is *always* going to be flimsy, so attacking the guy who brings up the first case because it's flimsy is, well, pretty pointless, unless he's trying to push that case as more than a day 1 discussion starter.  All that does is inherently discourage people from bringing up any cases - we're not going to get serious cases without going through the motions of arguing on a couple of flimsy cases first.

(I'd like to pause for a moment to point out the irony of the last line - we wouldn't be having this serious discussion if Rat hadn't voted Sopko!)

Two

Regarding Meeple and his mistake... I will here confess some confusion as to what the mistake in question *is*.  If I'm correct that it's about Meeple's misinterpretation of Rat, he retracted it promptly and it is a mistake of reading rather than of WTF like the glaring scum mistakes usually are.  (Addressing dead people, etc, see Super and Rat in prior games)  I see it as neutral and not a large issue.  In my mind, the main case brought against Meeple to date is him having a me-too playstyle, which WOULD be cause for concern, but I'm not seeing its existence as clearly as Kilga seems to.   Rat continuing to harp on the mistake is another factor in my raising the terror level on him. 

He calls metagaming on me, which we've also been over, and accuses me of stifling conversation by downplaying mistakes - Meeple's and Sopko's.  This is also wrong.

How? I see "This is a non-issue" as a sign that you don't think said happening is worth discussing. Is there a different way to interpret it?

Note that he's again equating Meeple and Sopko's actions, calling them scummy, and calling me scummy for not joining in.

Actually, you'll note that at no point in this game did I call Sopko's actions scummy.

Primarily, however, note that he's calling someone saying "This is a minor case to me" stifling discussion, and voting on it.  If downplaying something you see as a minor mistake is accepted as scummy behavior, town is obligated to concentrate on minor mistakes wherever and whenever someone brings them up!  This is holding town at gunpoint to concentrate on details - precisely the scum line I see being pushed in this game, and right here, Kilga's the pusher.

If town's not looking at everything it can then it's not doing the best job it can in finding scum. If no one made any mistakes, how would town win? In setups without investigative roles (cop, watcher, etc.) such as this one, it wouldn't, save for dumb luck.

It's also important to note that the reaction to a mistake can be more important than the mistake itself. This is why mistakes are worth pressing (gameplay mistakes, anyway - pressing a guy for, say, forgetting a comma is stupid). If we simply brush a mistake off as just that we get squat from it. If we prod it, we can get to know more about the person that made it.

http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9897#msg9897
- At no point did I say "Meeple's acting like Meeple, SCUM!" I said the equivalent of "Meeple's acting like Meeple when he was scum before, SCUM!". There's a very large difference, and I'd appreciate it if you could start using the latter instead of the former when discussing my past arguments against you. It doesn't help you that "me too"ism is easy for scum to fall into, either.

"I'll thank you to metagame properly, sir."  This post is where he last mentions the "Meeple has a me-too" playstyle argument, and in this paragraph he puts it as secondary to metagaming.

I responded to Meeple's points in the same order he presented them. If metagaming came first then he mentioned it first. It's organizational, no more, no less.

- Your mistake is not that only strike against you, whereas I haven't seen much of anything else about Sopko that looks bad. So yes, there is a difference there as well.

Really?  What else, except for metagaming and me-tooism?

That's still more than I had against Sopko. :V

Those are the only three things he's mentioned - and his vote is still resting on me, not Meeple.  Apparently it's WORSE to call mistakes minor when they aren't your own?

Like I said earlier, my vote's on you now because it was there already.

- This is the first time I've said anything of the "this isn't the Alex I know" variety. Now my entire argument is based around that one phrase? So we're just going to throw out the fact that my first serious vote was on him too then? I don't think so.

His first serious vote was logically unsound, but that's still what he retreats to here.  He's right, though, he voted me for metagaming and "stifling conversation" by downplaying Meeple's mistake (and Sopko's non-mistake).  As he's about to say:

Uh, that's not a case. In that scenario, he doesn't bother to explain why one time mistakes aren't a big deal or why misinterpretation especially falls into this category. (Alex's cases were actually "flimsy Day 1 cases are okay", which didn't really apply since the case was flat-out incorrect, and "misinterpretations happen", which is true but that doesn't mean they get a free pass.)

So the overriding reason to vote me is that I didn't bother to explain why one time mistakes aren't a big deal?

No, my vote went to you over Meeple for the second brush-off.

Again, drawing conversation towards trivialities

In a game where one's words mean almost everything, I would hope people misinterpreting other people is not a trivial thing.

saying anyone who makes them needs to be cracked down on

No free pass != crack down

and calling Sopko incorrect again, when by this time it's been established that he was not - he was referring to a timespan, in which Meeple was indeed gone.

Wait, when was it "established" that Sopko was correct and Meeple was indeed flying under the proverbial radar?

Page 6:
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg9930#msg9930
Again pressing Meeple on a triviality and again making Rat look good... while ignoring Rat's mistake at the end of page 5, which I'll cover shortly.

I'm not seeing the mistake Rat made in not including himself. In fact, I'm not seeing how him not mentioning himself matters at all one way or the other, to be honest. Maybe I'm just slow. >_>

Oh, well, looks like Kilga was wrong.  But Rat's just metagaming so it's still all good eh.

Uh, what?

http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=437.msg10010#msg10010
Accuses me of strawmanning.  Except that it's an example, not a straw man - I consider what Meeple did to be the equivalent of a simple grammatical mistake.

And I disagree and see it as a little more than that. People's opinions matter a lot more than their grammar, and if you're flubbing the process of forming an informed opinion then there's a problem.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2008, 06:06:57 AM »
See, Soppy, you didn't say that before.  I... man, I got nothin.  I *tried* logic.  It didn't work.  I still don't see a single person addressing any of the logical points I've brought up.  Nobody seems to be looking at Kilga's playstyle, nobody ever even considered QR, nobody's even questioning Rat on his mistake.  Nobody's looking at yourself or Cid, who could ALSO easily be scum just sitting back and going with the flow.  MEEPLE could be scum, I have nothing saying he's town except for the fact that everyone but Meeple and myself are just repeating "Meeple and Alex are scummy," ignoring my arguments (and many of Meep's) and hanging on details instead. 

It's as Meep said - if I get lynched, we're in LYLO, and you're left with "One (at least) of QR (now Gate), Kilga and Rat is probably scum."  Which one?  Where's the other scum?  At least one of them is town, that much we know for sure right now, and a single vote on the wrong one ends the game.  We mislynch today and scum have 99% won.  I thought during WaDF "What's town DOING?  If I was in there Otter and Andrew would've been dead days ago and we'd find Dhyer and win."  Now that I'm in the situation (though no, not equivalent, since scum in this game aren't being quite so blatant), I never expected this amount of crazyness and resistance.  I do not know what to say.

Posting this before reading Kilgapost.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2008, 06:20:09 AM »
Alex, I've been saying stuff about you getting emotional almost all day. I've been mostly in agreement with you on Kilga. I've stated again and again I'm torn between you and Kilga. Kilga's not played well, but I just can't excuse the amount of virulent personality you've put into the topic, warranted or no.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2008, 06:33:11 AM »
I have an early shift at work tomorrow, so anything that comes up between now and then I will not have a chance to respond to until much later.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2008, 06:47:30 AM »
Quote tags are going to be excessive for this so I'm just copypasting.

"Why say this? It does nothing but troll. Don't forget that "town has no reason to be uncivil". Leave snide remarks out of things."

To illustrate that everyone makes mistakes and minor ones are unimportant.

"You voted Rat for voting Sopko under the premise that Rat's vote is anti-discussion. I didn't (and still don't) see how it was, despite how hard I thought about it."

Rat's vote was mildly anti-discussion because the only backing he gave for it was "Sopko's case is poor."  This is always true of any day 1 first case.  Saying it is unproductive and its effect is to encourage people to not start the first case on day 1, because it will be poor and then Rat or people like him will vote you for it.  This discourages starting serious discussion.  Rat also included a statement about the transition to serious discussion, which means Rat had the transition to serious discussion in mind and wanted us to have it in mind as well.   When someone says "Hey, look, the start of serious discussion!  Isn't that remarkable?  VOTE: Guy who started serious discussion, because his case is bad", what effect does it have?

"As long as we're on the subject, perhaps you could provide an objective proof that metagaming is "bad"?"

VtM.  Suikoden.  Wheel of Time.  NR Mafia.  Four games, all in which I was metagamed against and was town.  In three of them I would have been mislynched day 1 if not for a roleclaim saving me.  People LOVE trying to lynch me early via metagaming and day 1 fluff.  It also happened in Phoenix Wright and to a small extent in Touhou.  I was scum those games.  It is indiscriminate and cannot be taken as a conclusive tell.  I cannot remember a single time in the DL where metagaming has successfully found a scum and been the identifiable cause of doing so, ie someone was able to say "I KNEW so and so was scum because he acted different from when he's town/identical to when he was scum!"  The accusations on my own playstyle I know to be untrue and I have seen other metagaming accusations that I also disagreed with.  It is entirely subjective and works no more often than a random roll of the dice.

"How? I see "This is a non-issue" as a sign that you don't think said happening is worth discussing. Is there a different way to interpret it?"

No, you're quite right.  That is exactly what I mean by it.  However, I do not see how my saying that is scummy.  If I may be permitted another analogy without you calling it a strawman:  You forgot the octothorpes on your first vote.  I think that is a nonissue and not worth discussing in terms of making you town/scum.  Am I now scummy for saying that?  No?  Then, is there any qualitative difference between that mistake and Meeple's misreading?  I think not.  I can easily see how such a misreading would occur - in fact I alluded to it two paragraphs up.  However, I *do* think there is a substantial qualitative difference between Meeple's misreading and Rat's bizzare statement alledging a connection between myself and Meeple. 

"Actually, you'll note that at no point in this game did I call Sopko's actions scummy."

You said his case on Meeple was flat out "incorrect" and words to that effect multiple times.  You didn't use the word scummy but I'm not sure what other conclusion we're supposed to come to about what you think of his vote.

"If town's not looking at everything it can then it's not doing the best job it can in finding scum. If no one made any mistakes, how would town win? In setups without investigative roles (cop, watcher, etc.) such as this one, it wouldn't, save for dumb luck.

It's also important to note that the reaction to a mistake can be more important than the mistake itself. This is why mistakes are worth pressing (gameplay mistakes, anyway - pressing a guy for, say, forgetting a comma is stupid). If we simply brush a mistake off as just that we get squat from it. If we prod it, we can get to know more about the person that made it."

This is true, but only to a point.  Again, as an example, should we really be looking at your missing symbols?  No, by virtue of common sense it's pointless and a waste of time.  If someone actually pressed a case on you because of that I would say it is a nonissue and be very suspicious of the person pressing a case for such spurious reasons.  I agree that the reaction to a mistake is much more important, but I do not find anything wrong with Meeple's and my responses to it, and much wrong with yours. 

"No, my vote went to you over Meeple for the second brush-off."

Except that it isn't a second brush-off, because the first incident is not brushing off a mistake.  What Sopko did was not a mistake and not equivalent to what Meeple did.  You are twisting this to make it look like I have done something you say is scummy twice, when in fact I have not. 

"No free pass != crack down"

No free pass does = crack down.  Your response to Meeple can hardly be called anything but a crack down. 

"I'm not seeing the mistake Rat made in not including himself. In fact, I'm not seeing how him not mentioning himself matters at all one way or the other, to be honest. Maybe I'm just slow. >_>"

Read the end of my post, vs Rat, and Rat's post in question.  After attacking me for calling 4/7 of the group suspicious, Rat says there is a "blatant" connection between myself and Meeple because those were the two people I did not name.  He later tries to pass this off and says he wasn't including himself.  I don't see how this makes sense. 

The "Uh, what?" section:

You again challenge Meeple over a trivial point, his use of the word "we," and ask him to find a place where Rat agrees with your stance that I do not look like the Alex you know.  You threaten him with "another misinterpretation" strike if he cannot.  You clearly think he cannot.  Meeple promptly finds an example and proves you dead wrong, adding that you and Rat are the only ones metagaming.  Your response is "Well, you and Alex are the only ones saying metagaming is bad!" 

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2008, 07:08:48 AM »
Quote from: Sir Alex on February 26, 2008, 11:40:54 PM

Uh, what?

I can't ignore this part.

Let me spell it out:

Me: Cart and Kilga both call Alex out on not being himself! No one else does that! Also, mistakes being consistent is a scum tell, not one instance.

You: Um, ok, want consistency, then here it is!  You keep saying "we" when referring to me and Carth, when Carth never took that stance! QUOTE NOW!

Me: Ok. *quotes where Rat says something along the lines where Alex's behavior is odd*

Rat: Actually, Kilga, I was going to do that, but it was meta-gaming  which I don't like and I found something better to work off of.

Kilga: Meta-gaming noted, Rat!

(I am summarizing it VERY VERY loosely, of course, don't wanna retype all the nonsense over again, sorry for the brevity.)

Basically, it comes down to this:
You claimed rat, with some confidence on at least two occasions, in the following lines:

- This is the first time I've said anything of the "this isn't the Alex I know" variety. Now my entire argument is based around that one phrase? So we're just going to throw out the fact that my first serious vote was on him too then? I don't think so. Also, Rat never once took this stance, but you lumped him in with it anyway. Why? Another "misinterpretation", I suppose?

Rat made the comment FIRST.  He never made a firm stance about it, but he still brought it up.  The fact is, you're acting like he never did anything close to it.

All right, Meeple, you want "consistent basis mistakes"?

Quote from: Meeplelard on February 25, 2008, 10:47:28 PM
They're both the only ones attacking Alex over how he's not looking at my mistake as a big deal.  No one else really brought up much either, but they go after Alex, only cause it "Does not look like the Alex we know!" or "Its odd he doesn't view it much!"

Bold is added by me. The use of "we" implies that both Rat and myself hold the "This doesn't look like etc." stance. I want you to go back and find where Rat said he agreed with this stance and show it to me.

What happens if you can't? Well, there's another strike against you in the name of misinterpretation or not reading closely or whatever.

Aka you're confident that I can't support it...oh but wait, not *ONLY* did I supply a quote, but Rat actually responded by saying he was INTENDING on doing that at one point too!  Granted, his point seemed to be responding directly to you, and little to do with my quote, but fact remains, he did state that he actually had considered it, but dropped it.

Your response was as I said; you ignore my quote, simply respond to my comment about that quote, by EVADING my proof.  How so?

Two can play at this game: You two are the only ones refuting it.

What kind of response is that?  Instead of admitting you're wrong, you go on an OMGUS! REVERSE THE ARGUMENT STYLE it feels.  Um, ok, so wait, now its ok for YOU to be wrong on something about Rat, and then OMGUS back at me (saying "two can play at this game!" is pretty much a euphemism for that, in my eyes.  I say that with a chance that I might be hypocritical somewhere, mind)?  Um, wait, what?  So ignoring the part that actually counters your argument, and only THEN bringing up the "Two can play at this game!" instead of before saying that...something's not right here.

I honestly feel that's you being careless here.  It feels like you were CONFIDENT that Rat didn't take this stance, and that you didn't need a qualifier of "And even if he did, I can claim that you and Alex are doing the same thing that you claim Me and Rat are doing!" (or some statement along those lines.)  If you said that THEN, it'd be less suspicious.

Why?

Cause then you're not saying "I know I'm right!" *proven wrong* "TWO CAN PLAY AT THIS GAME!" It reeks of hypocrisy, cause its parallel to what I did.  The difference?
I admitted I was wrong, I didn't OMGUS respond back at you, though I did get over defensive, and such, but you'll note I didn't vote on you until AFTER you pull the "This isn't the Alex I know!" line.
YOU however, are caught doing the same thing.  Granted, in this case, you claimed someone didn't do something that they did (if it wasn't as blatant as I was making it out to be), and instead of responding to being proven wrong, you instead respond in a manner that tries to twist the argument back at me?

After thinking that one scenario through, Kilga's looking worse than ever.  It...something is REALLY off with the whole Kilga thing.  He calls me out on a mistake, and then later, has a mistake of his own, WHEN THINGS ARE SERIOUS, and won't deal with it, but instead, tries to evade it?  And now he's playing dumb to the moment when Alex is going through calling him out on his issues?  That...I can't really see Kilga as town at all.

If he is actually town, all I can say is he's doing some really bad playing. This may or may not say something about Alex in the process, mind.

I'm aware Kilga isn't here to respond, so its awkward I use the second tense, but the post is directed at him nonetheless.

EDIT: Ninja'd BY ALEX!  Yeah, didn't see his post when I wrote this, unsure if it changes anything though.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »
"How? I see "This is a non-issue" as a sign that you don't think said happening is worth discussing. Is there a different way to interpret it?"

No, you're quite right.  That is exactly what I mean by it.  However, I do not see how my saying that is scummy.  If I may be permitted another analogy without you calling it a strawman:  You forgot the octothorpes on your first vote.  I think that is a nonissue and not worth discussing in terms of making you town/scum.  Am I now scummy for saying that?  No?  Then, is there any qualitative difference between that mistake and Meeple's misreading?  I think not.  I can easily see how such a misreading would occur - in fact I alluded to it two paragraphs up.  However, I *do* think there is a substantial qualitative difference between Meeple's misreading and Rat's bizzare statement alledging a connection between myself and Meeple.

Alex, you do realize you're putting someone forgetting punctuation on the same footing as someone else repeating something that wasn't really true in the first place as fact? This kind of thing is why people are voting for you.

"I'm not seeing the mistake Rat made in not including himself. In fact, I'm not seeing how him not mentioning himself matters at all one way or the other, to be honest. Maybe I'm just slow. >_>"

Read the end of my post, vs Rat, and Rat's post in question.  After attacking me for calling 4/7 of the group suspicious, Rat says there is a "blatant" connection between myself and Meeple because those were the two people I did not name.  He later tries to pass this off and says he wasn't including himself.  I don't see how this makes sense.

You'd defended Meeple or considered him a non-issue for most of the game, so it's really not hard for me to see how the post of yours that Rat reacted to would cement the notion in his mind.

At any rate, it feels like we're talking in circles by this point. Despite the extension, I'm prepared to hammer, but I'll give people a few hours to chime in if they want to keep the argument going (yeah, I know it's early in the morning and that's kind of unlikely, but if as much as one person says something as simple as "Wait a while longer," before I'm busy at work, I will do so, which leaves a few hours at least).

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:24 AM »
I would have not objected to an Alex lynch in any case, but his posts since my last one have actually boosted him up over Meeple in terms of badness, whereas Meeple's latest posts have actually looked somewhat better to me. They're not flawless, but he's actually making an attempt at analysis and presenting it in a clear(er) fashion.

There are two main problems I have with Alex's latest posts, though. The first is how he's treating the mistake I made. It's true that I shouldn't have talked about links like that as a general rule- but 'excluding myself' from the group he mentioned is only natural for me! I'm not going to consider myself a suspect and the implication seems to be that if I'm going to accuse him of deliberately excluding Meeple (someone who seemed very suspicious to me), I'm supposed to do just that? Never mind that I've been on their cases pretty for most of the day as is.

Meeple's mistake was worse than this, and Alex's stance on 'just one mistake' has vanished; I'm not protesting getting called on this (to a point) but the level to which he's taking it is stupid.

The other thing is this.

I will probably retire from Mafia here as I am tired of being hounded on metagaming and meaningless day 1 stuff every single game.

This is Alex... whinging. I don't think I'm wrong at all in saying that it's highly out of character for him, and I believe it's a deliberate appeal to sympathy. Sopko seemed almost half-willing to let it slide due to frustration, but to me it had undertones of extortion. Why bring it up in the game thread? His whole tone has been one of 'woe is me'-style exasperation, and it really just has no place in a serious defence.

<->

The only reason not to hammer here is to let QR's replacement speak. However, that's ultimately a moot point. Regardless of what stance he ends up taking, there are still two people present with stated willingness to hammer Alex- Cid, in the post just then, and now myself. Even if he pulled the vote, it wouldn't make a difference. So.

##Unvote, ##Vote: SirAlex
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2008, 11:39:42 AM »
HAMMER. STOP TALKING.

It's 6:30 AM for me now and I'm writing for work, so flavor and the start of Day 3 will wait until I am both capable of conscious thought and not at work, not to mention until there's a confirmed replacement for QR. In the meantime, I see no reason to make you wait for the flip.

Miss Scarlet (AKA Sir Alex, MURDERER) was apprehended and executed by the mob!

It is now night.
-Ponder Stibbons

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2008, 08:18:52 PM »
Sir Alex (4): QuietRain, Kilgamayan, Hunter Sopko, Carthrat
Meeplelard (1): El Cideon, Carthrat

As Mr. Green and Mrs. Peacock closed in, Scarlet’s denials got more and more frenzied. Then, as Green reached for one of the blunt objects lying in the middle of the room, she lunged for the revolver.

“I killed Boddy, all right. The bastard was blackmailing me – just like I know he was blackmailing you other suckers. Just line up over there and don’t try anything.”

But even as her attackers started to back away, Ms. White stood up.

“It was YOU! You ruined my night! Go on, shoot! There probably aren’t even enough bullets in that thing for all of us anyway!”

“You know, she’s right,” Mrs. Peacock said. “The study was full of bullet holes, not to mention poor Mr. Boddy.”

Plum took out a pad of paper, flipped over a page with a phone number on it, and started to write. “One plus two plus…”

“SHUT UP, all of you!”

Nobody noticed that Green, once the one who accused Scarlet the loudest, was just staring blankly into a corner. All eyes were on Scarlet, and nobody noticed Colonel Mustard suddenly grab for the knife, charge the murderer, and stab her in the back.

“Terrible thing to strike a lady, but seems like the lesser of two evils under the circumstances, don't you think?”

They’d found the killer! But just as they asked the cook to pour a round of cognac, the lights went out again…

Miss Scarlet (AKA Sir Alex, MURDERER) was apprehended and executed by the mob!

This outage was the longest of all of them. The six survivors paired off to search for a light, but by the time Mrs. Peacock and Mr. Green found the circuit breaker, it was too late. When they returned to the study, the knife that had been buried in Miss Scarlet’s back was sticking out of the remains of Ms. White. And almost as bad, the revolver was missing…

Ms. White (AKA Hunter Sopko, INNOCENT) was murdered in the dark!

Day 3 begins now. Deadline is 3 p.m. EST on February 29, 48 hours from this post.

Mod note: Gatewalker has replaced QuietRain. Thanks again for stepping in.

With five alive, it takes three to lynch.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:22:10 PM by Shale »
-Ponder Stibbons

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »
Well, horray for getting one of them. Now I've only been half following the game up until now, so I suppose it's time to delve back through the first two days and see what stands out at me.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist