Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 137688 times)

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #400 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:16 PM »
Dragon Quest 8:
Guv: 8/10. Has good healing, single target damage and multi target damage. Also has Call Team to get out of tough random encounters at small cost. He won't be good at all available roles until maybe the end though and is slower than he wants to be. Also, while he has both power and flexibility, I never felt that he wrecks the challenge.
Yangus: 5/10. Good early on when there's almost no challenge and as the game goes on, everything he can do the other characters does better, except soaking up damage that is. He's also very slow. Still, I don't think he's that bad really, rather I think the other DQ 8 characters are rather powerful.
Jessica: 8/10. Great damage and Accelerate is very useful for almost no investment. She's rather frail though and tends to die if she's unlucky with enemy targeting.
Angelo: 7/10. Has good healing and can relatively easy replenish MP. Can also get decent damage. It takes time for him to get both an MP recover skill and decent damage though.
Charmles: DNR.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 06, 2010, 10:50:03 PM »
Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King:
Guv: 7/10
Yangus: 5/10
Jessica: 8/10
Angelo: 6.5/10
Charmles:?

Chrono Cross White Innates:
Serge: 8/10
Pip: 4/10
Doc: 4.5/10
Starky: 6/10
Riddel: 7/10
Steena: 6/10

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:51:43 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 08, 2010, 02:13:23 AM »
Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King:
Guv: 8.10
Yangus: 4.63
Jessica: 8.22
Angelo: 6.71
Charmles: N/A

Chrono Cross White Innates:
Serge: 8.17
Pip: 2.95
Doc: 3.17
Starky: 5.05
Riddel: 5.48
Steena: 4.56

Best Rating of this session: Jessica w/ 8.22
Worst Rating of this session: Pip w/ 2.95
Charmles gets THE BOOT and DNR'd, etc.

Top 10 Ratings:
1. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
2. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
3. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
4. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
5. Haar (FE10) 9.17
6. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
7. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
8. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
9. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
10. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83

Top 10 Failures:
1. Karla (FE7) 0.77
2. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
3. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
4. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
5. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
6. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
7. Yunno (FE6) 1.35
8. Garret (FE6) 1.36
9. Mogu (BoF) 1.50
10. Noel Chandler (SO2) 1.55

Moving on, with a game I pulled completely out of my ass and MORE CHRONO CROSS!

Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchest:
Lilka Eleniak:
Brad Evans:
Tim Rhymeless:
Kanon:
Anastasia Valeria:
Lucied:
Marivel Armitage:

Chrono Cross Red Innates:
Kid:
Greco:
Macha:
Zappa:
Orcha:
Miki:
Janice:

BONUS ROUND: RATE THAT WEAPON!!!

Bonus Rounds do *NOT* get applied to the overall rankings since...well...we're not ranking characters!  They're just something extra to add on the side for discussion or whatever.  So even if something scores 10/10, its not gonna get on the Top 10 List!

That said, cause I hate some of you...

Devil May Cry:
Force Edge:
Alastor:
Ifrit:
Sparda:

Ebony and Ivory (aka Handguns):
Shotgun:
Grenade Gun:
Needle Gun:
Nightmare-Beta:

NOTE: Yes, I didn't put Yamato on here, but that's cause its Replay Only *AND* its identical to another weapon anyway evidently (that being Alastor).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:19:06 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 08, 2010, 02:35:11 AM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchest: Eh, pretty pointless all things considered.  He has uh Multiblast for randoms!! *presses cancel button*.  Okay enough I guess.  5/10
Lilka Eleniak: Eh she gets decent damage on most disc 1 bosses through weakness hitting and is the second best at summoning things I guess.  6/10
Brad Evans: Has Lock-On for bosses.  6/10
Tim Rhymeless: Sort of a pain to get his skills but hey they're useful and he lets you summon shit.  5/10
Kanon: Why bother?  3/10
Anastasia Valeria: DNR, available for next to no time
Lucied: DNR, available for next to no time
Marivel Armitage: Why bother?  2/10

Kid: Unimpressive aside from the stamina recovery and has poor availability  2.5/10
Greco: Eh CC filler.  3/10
Macha: Eh CC filler.  I remember looking at her stuff and thinking her to be more solid than most but just... total lack of caring.  3.5/10
Zappa: Eh CC filler.  3/10
Orcha: Eh CC filler.  3/10
Miki: Eh CC filler.  3/10
Janice: Might as well not exist.  0/10
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:43:17 PM by Random Consonant »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 08, 2010, 03:37:34 AM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchester: 5/10. I found him pretty bad but I'll give him some credit for Full Clip.
Lilka Eleniak: 7/10. Has healing and Quick, and the best stats for summon-blitzing randoms (only really relevant late, granted). If her MT healing weren't tied to berries she'd be better.
Brad Evans: 7.5/10. Kinda ho hum in randoms, but Railgun is death to bosses and the HP helps against them too.
Tim Rhymeless: 6/10. First Aid is this good.
Kanon: 6.5/10. Speed is nice, and she has a mini-railgun of her own if you get all her abilities, though dunno how easy that is.
Anastasia Valeria: DNR
Lucied: DNR
Marivel Armitage: 2.5/10. Blue mage types really need to show up earlier.

Kid: 6.5/10. Fast and accurate.
Greco: 2.5/10. Remember him sucking.
Macha: 4/10. She had an okay stat build.
Zappa: 3/10. Another slow dude who can only really do physicals and isn't that amazing at them.
Orcha: 5.5/10. Good overall stats in places I cared about.
Miki: 6/10. Solid fighter-mage.
Janice: 1/10. lulz.

Devil May Cry:
Force Edge: You get Alastor in what, mission 2? And it's purely superior. 1.5/10 I guess.
Alastor: 7.5/10. Versatile, nice range on it, good for a variety of situations.
Ifrit: 7/10. Turns on switches fast and unloads good damage/stun on certain enemies.
Sparda: Abstain. Like Force Edge you don't use it for long enough to care, unlike Force Edge it's a case of just not having it.

Ebony and Ivory (aka Handguns): 8/10. Allow great mobility so you can wear down anything while concentrating on dodging. Not really so impressive against randoms though due to minimal stunning.
Shotgun: 3/10. Meh.
Grenade Gun: 7/10. Totally owns a certain type of random.
Needle Gun: 5/10. Neutral score, it's your only option for underwater.
Nightmare-Beta: Abstain, didn't really try to use it.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 08, 2010, 04:25:35 AM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchester: 5.5/10
Lilka Eleniak: 7/10
Brad Evans: 8/10
Tim Rhymeless: 4/10
Kanon: 7/10
Marivel Armitage: 2/10

Kid: 6/10
Greco: 3/10
Macha: 3/10
Zappa: -
Orcha: -
Miki: -
Janice: -
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:29:51 AM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #406 on: August 09, 2010, 04:45:49 PM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
I'm replaying this since it's been so long since I last played it and I barely remember anything about it, so maybe I'll come back to this. All I can say at this point is that I'm somewhat surprised that Ashley doesn't get some hype for Knight Blazer against bosses, since that's how I've been defeating 90% of them at the point I'm at so far.

Kid: 6/10 - Probably the best stats for a Red Innate. Stealing is a niche, but the poor availability holds her back.
Greco: 2/10 - Die in a fire.
Macha: 3/10 - Not very good and splitpath.
Zappa: 3.5/10 - Solid physicals is a niche. Magic was better than it looked I remember.
Orcha: 3.5/10 - Like Zappa, but better magic. Still not worth an extra half-point.
Miki: 6/10 - Best non-Kid Red Innate, so she was my Red Innate of choice during Lynx sequences. Not a huge factor, but I remember that her and Nikki's dual tech was fairly useful when you got all your characters back.
Janice: 2/10 - Not bad, but obscurity~

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 09, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
I definitely remember having issues with Knight Blazer, but it's been way too long since I've played it to say what.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2010, 05:36:53 PM »
KnightBlazer requires 100 FP to use and you have to start building up FP from the bottom again.  You're better off hitting them with ARMs and elemental weaknesses (when they exist) pretty much all the time.  Also token lolvastmajorityofWA2bosses goes here.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »
Ashley at 100 FP gets Knightblazer, which is basically a damage buff. You waste a turn on it, of course.

Brad at 100 FP gets Boost Railgun, which does insane damage which, combined with any decent offence beforehand, kills all but a few bosses in the game.

It's pretty clear which one deserves more hype.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 09, 2010, 08:29:50 PM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchester: 7/10. Knight Blazer, ARMs and Full Clip around decent stats. Does what he needs to well enough.
Lilka Eleniak: 7/10. Versatile caster despite some HP woes. Getting her early to max out HP Plus remedies this problem.
Brad Evans: 8/10. Hits hard, tons of HP and Boost-Railgun can blow up mountains. Can also solo the superbosses if you feel cheap and cheeky.
Tim Rhymeless: 2/10. Fragile, skill set is a hassle to get.
Kanon: 4/10. Fast and can hit hard but doesn't crack the top three.
Anastasia Valeria: 10/10.  Really, really good. Impulse is good to outstanding damage with a bit of coordination, has healing and some buffs and a couple of other tricks. I've used her in the full game before and she's insanely good. Practically she should be a DNR, though.
Lucied: 4/10/DNR. See Anastasia without any redeeming points.
Marivel Armitage: 2/10. Red Mage, but you get her too late and not having HP Plus for the first 35ish levels hurts like hell.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #411 on: August 09, 2010, 10:22:15 PM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchest: 7/10.  Eh, I got use out of Knightblazer.  It's still only useful if you're taking out boss support targets, and Ashley's sorta just okay otherwise.
Lilka Eleniak: 6/10.  WA2 isn't a game that demands much healing, but she's still pretty okay otherwise.
Brad Evans: 7/10.  Rarr.
Tim Rhymeless: 4/10.  First Aid has use.  Nothing else recommends him.
Kanon: 6/10.  Solid offense off some speed, but still nothing special.
Anastasia Valeria: DNR I guess.
Marivel Armitage: 3/10.  Pointless.  A blue mage really needs to join earlier than this.  That said, an extra warm body for Kuiper is worth a point I suppose.

Kid: 5/10.  Probably the best Red, but... availability issues, plus reds aren't that good.  (Blue's are almost all better, mostly.)
Greco: 3/10.  Pretty pointless.
Macha: 4/10.  Definitely usable when you first get her, although if you also picked up Leena it's only for about five minutes until Glenn joins too.
Zappa: 3/10.  I actually like the stat build (as alluded to earlier, I'd take a pure physical over a pure mage character in this game) but arrggghhh low Agl.
Orcha: 4/10.  Red with real healing is a nice trick.  Joins too late to care about though, at least as I recall.
Miki: 4/10.  Stats could be worse.
Janice: 2/10.  Like this.

Devil May Cry:
Force Edge: 1/10.  Makes stage 1 harder than it should be.
Alastor: 7/10.  Bread and butter.  Also, I love Air Hike.
Ifrit: 6/10.  Which also means I basically never use Ifrit.  Still, having watched the LP I know it's a great weapon used properly >.>
Sparda: 3/10.  Novelty.  I'm not giving up Trigger for a powerful sword, thanks.

Ebony and Ivory (aka Handguns): 7/10.  Hover good.
Shotgun: 5/10.  Situational.
Grenade Gun: 4/10.  Having not discovered roll-cancelling, it was just too slow to use much.
Needle Gun: DNR.  You can't use any other weapon at this time, so.  (1/10.  Fuck this can't kill those lizards in less than infinite time)
Nightmare-Beta: 2/10.  Novelty.  I'm not giving up trigger for a gun that doesn't hit anything >.>
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:24:52 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 10, 2010, 05:04:50 AM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchest: 5/10  Most bosses can be killed before you get enough FP for Access, also has the unique problem of having people join with their level equal to his, which means it's practically better to kill him off in half the boss fights so people like Tim can get more benefit from HP UP.  Gains a point back for endgame full clip rape.
Lilka Eleniak: 8/10  Can solo the game
Brad Evans: 6/10 hit's stuff, Rail gun being crap on ammo hurts, also leaves for a brief stint and forces you to use Tim vs KANON, loses a point for this.
Tim Rhymeless: 2/10 First aid hype is stupid, any boss that warrants mt healing means Lilka will be having plenty of fp for mystic, also get's one shotted by WA2 bosses.
Kanon: 6/10 unlimited resources for physical skills is cool, also /fanboi.
Anastasia Valeria: abstain
Lucied: abstain
Marivel Armitage: 3/10 meh

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 10, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchester: 5/10. He starts out okay...decent enough speed and damage. As the game progresses, he just starts trailing too far behind in damage to be useful. Full Clip is pretty solid as an option though yeah, but the FP required is still pretty high. Multi-blast is worth mentioning for the occassional red !s, but its not like it matters if you give them turns anyway >_> <_<.
Lilka Eleniak: 7/10. Pretty good. Healing + support options and some semblance of damage at various points. Needed either more of that or MT healing though to be better.
Brad Evans: 7.5/10. Tons of HP, Lock On costing only 25 FP and dealing pretty good damage all throughout as well as Railgun to absoloutely rape bosses probably lets him edge out Lilka. His only fault is the speed, which thanks to WA2 enemies sucking is also relatively trivial >_>.
Tim Rhymeless: 5/10. Outside of the time where you fight Kanon, Tim's durability isn't that terrible. First Aid however, is quite good because healing the entire party without consuming 25 FP means you are free to spam it and since WA2 enemies are WA2 enemies (meaning they break a 4HKO if they are lucky), you can get away with it pretty badly.
Kanon: 6/10. A variation on Ashely, trading in more speed for an offset in durability. Her skills don't use resources, but you have to use them enough times to make her stronger, which sometimes isn't all that helpful. Still solid though.
Marivel Armitage: 2/10. Joins too late and requires too much effort to make good. What CK said though - a nice warm body for the last stretches of the game

Kid: 6/10. Good stamina recovery + decent enough on stats. She needed to exist for more than 1/3 of the game, which is a problem.
Greco: 2/10. His only use if I recall correctly was to sub in as a red if you decided not to save Kid. And even then, he's pretty unimpressive.
Macha: 4/10. Decent enough on stats anyway
Zappa: 3/10. Eh. Stamina recovery is too low (8? REALLY?) and its not like he hits like Raquel level damage. Terrible as a mage, so he's unimpressive overall.
Orcha: 5/10. Solid, but not enough to break average. Red with healing as a bonus.
Miki: 6/10. Good fighter-mage build, yeah.
Janice: 1/10. No.

Djinn - Knightblazer doesn't get hype around here, because it is terribly FP inefficient. You have to save 100 FP, and then afterwards, you have to restart building FP from scratch. Even though WA2's FP gain rates are high enough that you can consider using Knightblazer often, it's often just better to stick with his ARMs/Full Clip as damage options, and Full Clip appears mid-late game too. Similarily, the time it takes Ashley to build 100 FP and then build more FP to use better attacks in KnightBlazer, Brad would've gotten at least 4 Lock-Ons (assuming even distribution of FP here) or used a Boosted Rail Gun which as noted, already tends to rape bosses enough as is.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:31:30 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 10, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »
Kid: 8/10
Greco: 5/10
Macha: 7/10 actually has great stats
Zappa: 3/10 actually staticstically the worst red
Orcha: 3/10 see zappa
Miki: 7/10 Solid Red mage.
Janice: 7/10 Shes actually pretty good. Especially if you are too lazy to summon as she gets a free prism weapon. I use her alot and she does really well

CC is too easy people shouldnt be getting 1's. 1 means unusable to me, anyone can be used to beat CC. Even Pierre and Pip.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 19, 2010, 01:48:45 AM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchester: 6.5/10.  Accellerator + GT/MT ARMs tends to be his selling point for most of the game, as it insures he goes first and takes down a good number of enemies, while keeping flexibility on Mediums.  Thing is, before Fullcip, that's really all he has; bosses don't live long enough for Knightblazer (Kuprier Core aside), and he's statistically nothing special.  He's pretty good after you get Fullclip, heck I'd say he's flat out better than Brad offensively, but that's only worth half a point cause of how late it is.
Lilka Eleniak: 7/10.  Fast Healer with some good support skills, but the way WA2 works, this doesn't go as far as it should.
Brad Evans: 8/10.  Best Tank by a long shot due to HP being everything, Speed Mediums *CAN* offset his low speed making him good enough at randoms, Lock On is awesome, and Rail Gun (especially with Boost) murders bosses dead. 
Tim Rhymeless: 5.5/10.  First Aid is cool at first, but doesn't last, and his summons are pretty damn brutal!  The HP and Speed Combo hurt him though.
Kanon: 7/10.  Good speed and damage for randoms, and enough for bosses, but I dunno, she doesn't feel like she deserves higher if that makes sense?
Anastasia Valeria: DNR.  First off, she's not really THAT overpowered considering that not only enemies suck, she's not exactly BEST AT EVERYTHING, seeing as Ashley clearly beats her at crowd control if nothing else, so 10/10 hype is just absolutely baffling.  But branching from that, more importantly, the dungeon she's in is so trivial, and she's with for such a laughable amount of time, I can't realistically rate her.  I'd be more comfortable giving Sword Saint Ashley a rating cause the fight he's in matters a lot more than anything Anastasia is in (especially since its possible to completely AVOID getting into a single fight with Ana.)
Lucied: DNR.  See Ana, except people don't respect him (and rightfully so!) so I don't need a side rant <.<
Marivel Armitage: 2/10. I know Gella Crazy can be twinked, but that's about all she has, and is otherwise a warm body for the Kuprier Core, so Ashley has 2 allies instead of 1.

Kid: 6/10.  Red Pin is good, good stamina recovery, and Pilfer can net you some nice things.  However, she felt a bit unimpressive outside of all that.
Greco: 3.5/10.  Workable filler, I guess, though below average at being it, and being Chrono Cross, that means more.
Macha: 6/10.  Surprisingly solid, IIRC.  You typically don't realize this cause many don't use her, but she's still decent.
Zappa: 4/10.  While slow, I remember him packing a punch, especially since he can get some strong, semi-unique weapons (I think only Funguy shares it with him?) early, and to be honest, CC Speed isn't as big as people make it out to be due to how the system works.
Orcha: 4/10.  Filler.
Miki: Abstain.  Never really used, thinking on it.
Janice: 3/10.  Pain in the ass to get with no real bonuses.  No, her unique weapon means nothing since you can de-synth that into something more useful like a Spectral Axe or something, as in, a weapon some OTHER character may use.

As a side note, I did forget a character, namely Draggy *HOWEVER*, do NOT write him in.  I'll just put him in the next set of ratings alongside whatever color I decide to do, as a Forgotten Warrior or something.  Its easier to just do it this way, so just hold off on writing him in.

BONUS ROUND!
Devil May Cry:
Force Edge: 1/10.  Its really good when its your only sword!  Which lasts...for Mission 1 and then like the beginning of Mission 2...which is not even 10% of the game I wanna say.  Yeah, basically just a placeholder until you get...
Alastor: 8/10.  This.  The DMC Sword is always a really good weapon, since its versatile, easy to use, and generally lacking in flaws, with moves like Stinger and what not.  Add in Vortex and Air Raid, combined with increased speed in DT, and Alastor is probably the overall best sword in the series.
Ifrit: 7/10.  A serviceable alternative to Alastor which covers different niches and is good at what it does.  Generally, Alastor tends to work better as a "Default" weapon with better fall back options overall, but Ifrit is still a very good weapon in its own right.
Sparda: 4/10.  Fun gimmick weapon but not much else; I don't give it bonus points for the Final Boss, mostly cause the game doesn't even let you change weapons there.

Ebony and Ivory (aka Handguns): 7/10.  Nice safe rapid Fire weapon, with good charge shots, becomes pretty brutal in DT, what have you.  Damage is a bit lacking, and when not charged/DTed, it fails at tying up enemies...unless you juggle enemies with it of course!
Shotgun: 5/10.  Good for tying up a few enemies like Fetishes when used properly, and can one hit kill Blades!  Thing is, all of this needs to be done at close range, and while good at tying things up, I tend to just question why not use...
Grenade Gun: 7.5/10.  This.  Great for building up DT, hits damn hard on randoms, canceling allows you to tie up enemies well, let alone in large groups (AHAHAHA take that army of Blades and Marionettes!), and got really good range too!  Works well to compliment E&I.
Needle Gun: DNR.  Pure underwater weapon makes it not realistically comparable to the others.
Nightmare-Beta: 1/10.  So to use this, you need to charge it up to get it to fire in a way that doesn't really do much damage unless charged a while...which kills your Devil Trigger Gauge which is far better used on actually using Devil Trigger and killing enemies with that, let alone guns were a good way to safely build up DT to begin with which this gun defeats the purpose of, and when all is said and done, it doesn't have any real use over Shotgun or Grenade Gun.  It ALMOST looked useful when I figured using it in conjunction with SParda could be cool...oh wait, Sparda doesn't allow for DT Runes to exist AT ALL, so Nightmare Beta is now like the most useless thing ever with that combo!

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 25, 2010, 12:53:57 AM »
Force Edge: 3/10
Alastor: 7/10
Ifrit: 7/10
Sparda: 5/10

Ebony and Ivory (aka Handguns): 5/10
Shotgun: 6/10
Grenade Gun: 9/10
Needle Gun: DNR(Can't compare it to other weapons) or 3/10
Nightmare-Beta: 2/10
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 25, 2010, 01:02:25 AM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchest: Assuming you mean Ashley Winchester, 8.1/10
Lilka Eleniak: 7/10
Brad Evans: 7.7/10
Tim Rhymeless: 7.3/10
Kanon: 7/10
Anastasia Valeria: 8.9/10
Lucied: 6.4/10
Marivel Armitage: 4.4/10

Don't care about CC, and don't remember DMC enough to care to vote on it.  If you're desperate, I can rank them
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 25, 2010, 01:07:27 AM »
Ashley Winchester: 4/10. Wow, way to be outpaced by someone else on almost all the niches you do until the endgame, Ashley. KnightBlazer hype is probably as worthless as Kain DL hype to boot, so Full Clip is all he has.
Lilka Eleniak: 7/10. Stats on the right places, a very good buff and infinite healing. Durability is an issue on uh Belleclaire and Kanon - which I guess is enough, buuuuuuut. Also, weakness-hitting is very common and she's very good at it. I think I could pull a pretty long list of the losers I OHKOed with elemental summons hitting weaknesses with Lilka.
Brad Evans: 7.5/10. Sure, works. I think he loses some worth by the endgame as his offense hits a wall, but he is very good at killing things, and Mediums can fix the speed issue somewhat for randoms once you get 25 FP at base for GT smash.
Tim Rhymeless: 6/10. First Aid is that damn good+he -needs- to be in the party if you want to use summons, which play into Lilka being good. Durability is awful and is low enough to make him a liability at more places than Belleclaire/Kanon to boot.
Kanon: 6.5/10. She has more lategame damage potential than even Brad and is amazingly fast, but the skills can be awkward to learn and she is less versatile (no crowd control whatsoever, for instance). Not to mention she joins kinda late and needs to build those skills. Yeah, this works.
Anastasia Valeria: DNR.
Lucied: DNR.
Marivel Armitage: 2/10. A Blue Mage that joins with practically nothing at near endgame? Egregious failure.

Kid: 6.5/10. Sure.
Greco: 3/10. Sucks.
Macha: 4/10. Okay stat spread, but skills leave something to be desired.
Zappa: 3/10. Eh, pure fighter in CC.
Orcha: 5/10. Better stats than Macha! Also skills are worth caring about a bit more.
Miki: 6/10. Yeah, solid fighter-mage, and those tend to work in CC.
Janice: 1/10. Look at those recruitment requirements and at her stat spread then tell me how well that works out.

Bonus Rounds do *NOT* get applied to the overall rankings since...well...we're not ranking characters!  They're just something extra to add on the side for discussion or whatever.  So even if something scores 10/10, its not gonna get on the Top 10 List!

That said, cause I hate some of you...

Devil May Cry:
Force Edge: 1/10. Why.
Alastor: 8/10. I just find the movement so -valuable-. Alastor is very effective at what it does (i.e. grant you awesome mobility, some of it straight offensive at that) and it's not a damage failure either. My preferred weapon.
Ifrit: 7/10. However, this is no slouch either. Ifrit isn't as flexible as Alastor, but its damage output is monstrous when you know how to use it, and you also need that. Ifrit/Alastor are quite well-balanced, really.
Sparda: 2/10. No Devil Trigger? Seriously? Fuck that.

Ebony and Ivory (aka Handguns): 7/10. Another mobility weapon that's great at what it does. I never used it for -straight offense-, but it's great at charging DT, chipping for Style, tying up enemies and even some weird mobility games with the pseudo-gliding.  
Shotgun: 4/10. It's kind of your power weapon early, but it has a few issues - mainly being bad at power at non-close range, which is counterproductive to a ranged weapon. It just exists as filler until you get Grenade Gun.
Grenade Gun: 7/10. Another great weapon, and it's the main reason you -should- learn roll cancelling. Very hard-hitting, actually does range unlike the shotgun and doesn't kill your mobility with roll cancel abuse. It basically fills the niches E&I can't.
Needle Gun: DNR.
Nightmare-Beta: 0/10. No. Just... no.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 25, 2010, 01:28:26 AM »
Wild ARMs 2nd Ignition:
Ashley Winchester: 5.81
Lilka Eleniak: 6.90
Brad Evans: 7.32
Tim Rhymeless: 4.68
Kanon: 5.90
Anastasia Valeria: N/A
Lucied: N/A
Marivel Armitage: 2.49

Kid: 5.83
Greco: 3.00
Macha: 4.28
Zappa: 3.19
Orcha: 4.13
Miki: 5.43
Janice: 2.13

Best Rating of this Session: Brad w/ 7.32
Worst Ratnig of this session: Janice w/ 2.13
Anastasia and Lucied get punted and DNRed and all that fun stuff, yay!

BONUS ROUND: RATE THAT WEAPON!
Devil May Cry:
Force Edge: 1.50
Alastor: 7.50
Ifrit: 6.80
Sparda: 3.50

Ebony and Ivory (aka Handguns): 6.80
Shotgun: 4.60
Grenade Gun: 6.90
Needle Gun: N/A
Nightmare-Beta: 1.25

Top 10 Ratings:
1. Yuna (FFX) 9.80
2. Yuri Volte Hyuga (SH1) 9.53
3. Hyuga "Citan Uzuki" Ricdeau (XG) 9.46
4. Cecilia Lynn Adlehyde (WA1) 9.20
5. Haar (FE10) 9.17
6. Reyson (FE10) 9.11
7. Lenneth Valkyrie (VP(:L)) 9.02
8. Ephraim (FE8) 9.01
9. Elincia (FE10) 8.85
10. Tibarn (FE10) 8.83

Top 10 Failures:
1. Karla (FE7) 0.77
2. Chu-chu (XG) 0.85
3. Maria Balthasar (XG) 1.00
4. Douglas (FE6) 1.10
5. Astrid (FE10) 1.20
6. Lyre (FE10) 1.28
7. Yunno (FE6) 1.35
8. Garret (FE6) 1.36
9. Mogu (BoF) 1.50
10. Noel Chandler (SO2) 1.55

Ok, we move onto MORE CHRONO CROSS, with a forgotten warrior from Red or something cause you all failed to acknowledge him early enough! YOU also didn't notice I mispelled Ashley's last name and thus all need to die in fire or something! With that in mind, we're doing three games again! ...only cause one of them is ludicrously small:

Secret of Mana:
Randi:
Purim:
Popoi:

Star Ocean 3: Til The End of Time:
Fayt Leingod:
Sophia Esteed:
Peppita Rosetti:
Cliff Fittir:
Nel Zelpher:
Roger S. Huxley:
Maria Traydor:
Albel Nox:
Adray Lasbard:
Mirage Koas:

Chrono Cross Blue Innates:
Leena:
Nikki:
Pierre:
Korcha:
Irenes:
Fargo:
Marcy:
Orhla:
Draggy:

(again, Draggy is an FW from the previous session, so shut up)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:19:23 AM by Meeplelard »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 25, 2010, 02:35:21 AM »
Secret of Mana:
Randi: Hits things.  Has durability.  4/10
Purim: Heals things.  Also has buffs of variable usefulness.  Also the occasional offensive spell.  Getting spell levels up is sort of a pain and lack of resources early on hurts a bit, but not a whole lot, and it's worth it in the end.  8.5/10
Popoi: Chaining spells sorta badly trivializes the game's bosses.  Getting spell levels up is sort of a pain and again, lacks resources early, but still, worth it in the end.  8.5/10

Leena: Eh CC filler.  3/10
Nikki: Eh not very good CC filler.  2.5/10
Pierre: It's Pierre.  1.5/10
Korcha: Getting him means you can't get Glenn.  Plus I think Korcha himself was kinda trashy.  Fail.  1.5/10
Irenes: Eh CC filler.  3/10
Fargo: Hey look stealing that you actually have for an actually decent length of time!  Isn't special outside of that, but hey.  4/10
Marcy: Eh CC filler.  3/10
Orhla: I think she was actually sorta standoutish for CC filler but eh, still CC filler.  3.5/10
Draggy: GAMEBEST STAMINA RECOVERY WHOOO.  Also CC filler.  3/10
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:39:50 AM by Random Consonant »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #421 on: August 25, 2010, 04:01:17 AM »
Setting aside Star Ocean 3.  My playthrough doesn't really count >.>

Leena: 6/10.  Leena's solidness always surprised me.  Enough physical power to get by, joins ridiculously early, and blue's spell list is probably the best overall, I think.  Widely available, good uniques, the game hands you a summon... so yeah.
Nikki: 5/10.  *shrug*  Although... he probably has the best route into Viper Manor, so that's an extra point.
Pierre: 3/10.  He is a LOT of fun at the endgame but yeah, pretty bad unto himself.
Korcha: 4/10.  NOt bad really, certainly worth using if you take the kid path.  If.
Irenes: 3/10.  zzz.
Fargo: 5/10.  Thieving!  Stats aren't bad either, I've definitely used him just for lack of superior options before.
Marcy: 5/10.  Fargo's utility usually keeps me using him over her, but her stats are in the right place too.
Orhla: 6/10.  Quietly has some of the best stats in the game.  Later joiner hurts of course.
Draggy: 4/10.  Filler.  Not bad at it, but filler.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 25, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
Secret of Mana:
Randi: 5/10
Good enough, nothing special.  His being totally non-unique basically works for the game, since it means you can just focus weapon skill on one character and magic on the others.

Purim: 9/10
Invaluable jack-of-all-trades type character.  Cure Water(?) is one of the most broken healing spells I've ever seen.  She's kind of weak on defense, sort of.  Look, I've seen her die, so she's not a 10.

Popoi: 9/10
Breaks the game absurdly, which to be fair is because it's so shoddily programmed.  -1 star for the time it takes to level magic up and durability issues.

Leena: Never gotten her

Nikki: Same

Pierre: 1/10

Korcha: 1/10

Irenes: 3/10
Okay filler unit

Fargo: 7/10
One of the best in the game simply because he can steal during the Lynx segment.

Marcy: Never used

Orhla: Never used

Draggy: Haven't used enough to judge him, seems pretty pointless.

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 26, 2010, 12:18:23 AM »
Secret of Mana:
Randi: 5/10 Good to use if you want to save your spells for bosses like I did
Purim: 9/10 Healer
Popoi: 9/10 spell chaining

Fayt Leingod: 6/10 Main
Sophia Esteed: 3/10 Underleveled mage. in a star ocean game. Gets points for healing
Peppita Rosetti: 8/10 Really good if you know how to use her
Cliff Fittir: 9/10 Max shockwave, Fist of fury and aerial assault are all stand outs
Nel Zelpher: 7/10 Somewhat Jeigany
Roger S. Huxley: 3/10 He can be useful, but eh
Maria Traydor: 10/10 um... yeah
Albel Nox: 6/10 It hurts me to pul Albel this low. His normal attack is very nice though as it can be chained
Adray Lasbard: 1/10 useless. If you want to use a mage, use Sophia
Mirage Koas: 3/10 Pointless

Leena: 9/10 One of the best early game characters. Isnt too shabby later either
Nikki: 5/10 okay, I guess
Pierre: 1/10 yeah...
Korcha: 1/10 Needs pants badly.
Irenes: 7/10 I got great use out of her when you first get her since she is your only innate blue for a while in the Lynx path.
Fargo: 8/10 Strong and only stealer for the plates
Marcy: 10/10 My favorite character.
Orhla: 5/10 Has good strength, but really thats it. She comes late so she doesnt get the "star boosts"
Draggy: 7/10 13 stamina! Average stats, nothing is bad. 7 seems right.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 26, 2010, 01:05:42 AM »
Once more the lack of Chrono Cross is due to rememberance issues...

Secret of Mana:
Randi: 5.5/10.  Is serviceable, and does his job well enough...works on AI at least, since he does nothing else.  Durability at worst! 
Purim: 9.5/10.  Is awesome.
Popoi: 9.5/10.  Is also awesome.

Fayt Leingod: 6.6/10.  Is good.  His early techs suck except Side Kick, and then he has to wait until Strayer Void for a good later tech.  He has few techs I'd call good, though stats are decent.  Just feels like someone to replace, though late-game has awesome potential.
Sophia Esteed: 2.7/10.  Feels far worse for the main-game, as magic feels more difficult to boost for.  Comes in significantly low-level, too, especially when compared to Adray.  She is good, but really, really takes a lot of work.
Peppita Rosetti: 5.5/10.  Is really awesome!  And doesn't need as much set-up as Sophia!  Still comes at a low level, and it's not obvious she's decent.  Still...
Cliff Fittir: 9.7/10.  HAMMER OF MOTHERFUCKING MIGHT, BITCHES!!!  Really awesome early, and he picks up late with Max Shockwave too. 
Nel Zelpher: 8.3/10.  Great early - she has some survivability issues, but corrects out later well enough.  Early healing is nice, and her offense is good, picking up a lot later.  Doesn't feel as dominating early as Cliff does (lacks strong AoE), but does have strong MP damage.
Roger S. Huxley: 5/10.  Is...sadly...decent.  Some of his early techs are very good, but he is the worst of the optionals, mostly.
Maria Traydor: 10/10.  It's Maria.  She is awesome.  She starts out with decent skills but a crappy weapon...then gets an automatic drop weapon which is awesome!  Even ignoring IC, she ends up good.  Her support spells are more helpful than you'd expect, too.  She can do range or melee attacks, and owns with all of them.
Albel Nox: 7.4/10.  At the very least, joins early and powerful enough to be helpful.  The techs are very good and unique, which makes him a decent option. 
Adray Lasbard: 4.7/10.  Is a better mage in the main-game than Sophia.  Still serviceable late as well.  He has the menu spells that make Sophia interesting, and has physical skills that are decent.  Doesn't feel particularly great, but workable.
Mirage Koas: 7/10.  Is good...but kind of falls behind - she's a combination of Maria and Cliff...and comes after them ages later.  Level is decent, at least, but...she's basically a substitute for either, and lacks the range of Maria.  Just feels a little out-dated when she joins, but is at least usable.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory