Register

Author Topic: Rate the characters 2: RATE HARDER!  (Read 32575 times)

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
Rate the characters 2: RATE HARDER!
« on: April 15, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »
Games and Rankings:

Final Fantasy 6 and Mana Khemia 2: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg104708.html#msg104708

Final Fantasy 10 and Mana Khemia: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg105837.html#msg105837

Chrono Trigger and Persona 4: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg107527.html#msg107527

Star Ocean 2 and Tales of Vesperia: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg114033.html#msg114033

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Wild ARMs: XF, and Team Fortress II: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg114640.html#msg114640

Shadow Hearts, Grandia III, and Cave Story: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg115431.html#msg115431

Final Fantasy 4, Soul Nomad, and Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg115973.html#msg115973

Final Fantasy 5, Xenogears, and The Princess Bride: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg116485.html#msg116485

Wild ARMs 4, Legend of Legaia, and Mighty Morphing Power Rangers: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg117332.html#msg117332

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Legaia 2, and Les Miserables: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg139729.html#msg139729

Radiant Historia, Tales of Phantasia, and Ducktales: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php/topic,4823.msg140527.html#msg140527

Cthulhu Saves the World, Wild ARMs 3, and Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace:

Okay, most of us know the drill so I'm not gonna drag this out. In short: I put a list of characters out and you rate them from 0-10, using only whole numbers. No decimals, weird entries, computer talk or what have you. These make me a very sad counter who goes through his supply of Pepto-Bismol faster than usual. This is fundamentally a ranking of worth, how you determine this is up to you. Just be honest and don't vote too high or too low to 'make up' for votes you disagree with. Each session will have one classic game and one newer generation game to ensure a mix of old and new voters.

Feel free to do writein votes if you care to; if a writein gets more than 1/3rd of the vote I'll include into the final tally. Feel free to DNR as well;  if a character gets DNRs for more than 1/3rd of the vote they'll be given a DNR.

Classic Game:

Final Fantasy 6

Terra
Locke
Edgar
Sabin
Shadow
Celes
Gau
Cyan
Setzer
Mog
Strago
Relm
Gogo
Umaro
Banon

Gestahl
Kefka
Leo

New game:

Mana Khemia 2

Raze
Lily
Whim
Et
Puniyo
Jiro
Kichi
Taro
Yun
Ulrika
Chloe
Goto
Pepperoni
Enna
Flay
Tony
Zeppel
Marta
Reicher
Sasalina
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:44:40 AM by OblivionKnight »
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the characters 2: RATE HARDER!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »
Classic Game:

Final Fantasy 6

Terra: 6/10. I like her but I don't really like her, you know? She does what she needs to do as a character without really excelling.
Locke: 6/10. He's likable and works well for a dashing type for Celes to fall for.
Edgar: 7/10. The cockiness works, plus he gets a bonus point for a burrowing castle.
Sabin: 4/10. Bland.
Shadow: 8/10. Yes, he's a favorite from when I was 14, but he's stuck dammit. I can't defend this.
Celes: 7/10. In retrospect my opinion of Celes has steadily risen, mostly for the World of Ruin arc.
Gau: 0/10. Annoying, worthless gimmick character.
Cyan: 2/10. Not a fan and I found him generally useless.
Setzer: 5/10. Setzer was fun for what he was. Sorta reminds me a bit if Bruce Wayne never became Batman, but still knew how to kick ass as a playboy.
Mog: 2/10: Gimmick.
Strago: 3/10. Old. Joining a cult gets him a bonus point.
Relm: 2/10. Spunky.
Gogo: 2/10. Bonus.
Umaro: 2/10. Bonus.
Banon: 3/10. Gives a good speech or two then is gone with the wind. Oh well.

Gestahl: 3/10. He tries, he really tries, but he's overshadowed by his minions.
Kefka: 2/10. He does have a certain charm, but I mostly find him a passable foil for the good guys and intensely annoying by himself. Not the good sort of annoying that makes you want to smash him, but the bad sort that makes you want to stop playing. (As much as one ever wants to stop playing FF6)
Leo: 6/10. Works.

Taishyr

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra: 5/10. Characterized plot-device, I always felt. Stuff happens to her and around her. Gains almost all her points for WoR performance, as a result, where she was pretty cool.
Locke: 5/10. Introduces the humor early "It's TREASURE HUNTER!" yeah sure okay dude. Then... kinda exists, kinda doesn't, bounces around plot-wise but doesn't feel like he does all too much. His WoR plot is... interesting, at least, but kinda weird at the same time.
Edgar: 7/10. Pervert inventor king who knows how to piss Kefka off? Works.
Sabin: 6/10. Musclebound slightly (very slightly) dense brother, good characterization? Eh. Iunno, like him more than Locke/Terra, but less than Edgar. This works.
Shadow: 4/10. 3 points for Interceptor, one point for actually having plot tie-ins.
Celes: 7/10. Might bump to 8, thinking. Pretty much a cool player in the WoB interactions when she has them, and then the star of what centralized WoR plot there is. Yeah.
Gau: 6/10. Honestly probably pulled off the "wild kid" routine the best out of most games I've played.
Cyan: 4/10. I exist for VENGEANCE. Also as Gau's foil, and for an annoying as fuck set of dungeons.
Setzer: 4/10. I exist to give you two airships. Also, Darryl ;_;.
Mog: 5/10. I can't give Mog any lower. Sorry! >_> This is distinct fanboyism here, I'll be outvoted anyway~
Strago: 3/10. Relm's foil.
Relm: 4/10. Exists to mock old people and squid.
Gogo: 1/10. Is Adlai Stevenson.
Umaro: 1/10. Is Schuyler Colfax.
Banon: 2/10. Kinda doesn't exist for the importance he has in the first section. I blame Square's fangasming over the epic format.

Gestahl: 5/10. Kinda a jackass! Then dies.
Kefka: 8/10. Yeah, comfortable with this; I didn't find him annoying at all. He's an asshole, a villain, and he revels in it, and he pushes the plot forward this way; he has good lines, he's decently unique amongst villains in -managing to punk the world for a damn long while- and apparently just enjoying the spoils of his success.
Leo: 3/10. I am sympathetic blargh I am dead. Sorry, no.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:41:52 PM by Taitoro »

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:25:09 PM »
Classic Game:

Final Fantasy 6

Terra 6/10 She's okay I guess
Locke 5/10 Treasure hunter blah blah blah. Also he's mourning some dead broad that I don't care about.
Edgar 7/10 Decently funny
Sabin 5/10 Sure is a guy that does things!
Shadow 5/10 Ninja with mysterious past #44234
Celes 6/10 see Terra
Gau 5/10 Sure is a kid that does things!
Cyan 5/10 Thee thy thou thou whereforth
Setzer 5/10 Sure is a gambler that does things!
Mog 6/10 I give 'em a point for nabbing the Moogle Charm.
Strago 5/10 Sure is an old man who does things!
Relm 3/10 Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.
Gogo 5/10 Sure is a mime who does nothing!
Umaro 5/10 Sure is a yeti who does nothing!
Banon 5/10 Barely there.

Gestahl 4/10 Below average villain.
Kefka 8/10 Okay I like this guy, works well as a villain.
Leo 5/10 Not a bad archetype but his death scene fell completely flat and I barely cared.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra- 6/10.  I've always found Terra very likable, but the way her story is handled between the time skip has never satisfied me.  I mean... every other character is doing stuff during the time skip that is generally in keeping with the character, where Terra's doing something very new and of obvious impact on her development.  Not getting to see it, having her just go from "determined to find herself" to "can't bring herself to fight" offscreen is silly.
Locke- 8/10.  Rocks.  Might be inflating him a bit since the standards of the time and the game are lowish, but... nah, this feels right.
Edgar- 5/10.  I wish they'd done more to integrate his three character traits into more of a whole, functioning character.  Still, not without his amusing spots.
Sabin- 6/10.  Good support character.  Stable and predictable and gives other people something to bounce off of while being entertaining enough by himself.
Shadow- 4/10.  Needed resolution.  Just feels incomplete and wasted in the game as it exists.
Celes- 6/10.  Alright.  Suffers from writing quality (the dialogue never really made me feel "all hope is lost" from her) but not bad.
Gau- 3/10.  Waste of space.
Cyan- 4/10.  Does not work at all.  The character as written makes sense at an intellectual level but isn't backed up by the dialogue at all.
Setzer- 4/10.  Just kinda there.
Mog- 3/10.  Yawn.
Strago- 5/10.  meanwhile, when he gets sucked into a doomsday cult because the world ended and he thought everyone he knew and loved was dead, THAT I could buy.  Otherwise, fuddy-duddy.
Relm- 6/10.  Relm makes me smile.
Gogo- DNR.
Umaro- DNR.
Banon- .... eeehhhh.  DNR. (3/10)

Gestahl- 3/10.
Kefka- 7/10.
Leo- 5/10.

Mana Khemia 2

Raze- 6/10.  Straight man.  Really damned good at it.  Loses points for main plot being "angstangstANGSTIHATEYOUMANAS"
Lily- 8/10.  Paragon of Unbalance.
Whim- 7/10.  Whim can be annoying when she's being serious, but on the other hand there just isn't Lily without Whim, so I feel like her score should reflect that as well.
Et- 7/10.  Makes me smile.
Puniyo- 6/10.  I think elfboy said it best "My sister says she derives sick pleasure from this".
Jiro- 4/10.
Kichi- 5/10.
Taro- 5/10.  I... y'know, I almost want to rate the Puni Bros. as one character, despite having clearly distinguishable traits, just because they and Puniyo are very much a unit.  Eh, this way works.
Yun- 4/10.  zzzz.

I haven't finished Ulrika's path but um... this is not a deep game.  I feel pretty qualified here.
Ulrika- 5/10.  drop on her head as a child.
Chloe- 6/10.  Girl Lezard.
Goto- 1/10.  Die ina fire.
Pepperoni- 4/10.  Can be amusing, but too much Goto.
Enna- 5/10.  Poor Enna.

Flay- 7/10.  Is Flay.  Needed more screentime.
Tony- 7/10.  Is Tony.  Needed more screentime.
Marta- 2/10.  Needed to get owned harder.
Write-in! Zeppel- 5/10.  Poor Zeppel.
Reicher- 3/10.
Sasalina- 4/10.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra - Decent enough for what she was.  5/10.
Locke - I'll admit that I don't really care for characters whose plot revolves around moaning about their dead girlfriend (or boyfriend, as the case may be), but at least he was decent about not constantly gumming up dialouge with it, so yeah, decent enough for what he was.  5/10.
Edgar - Eh, could've been done better but not bad.  Gets half a point for the burrowing castle except I can't do .5s.  Fail.  4/10.
Sabin - Had a few moments but otherwise was there.  3/10.
Shadow - Was even less there.  2/10.
Celes - Came across as fairly solid.  6/10.
Gau - Gets a point for Mr. Thou.  Otherwise, fuck off.  1/10.
Cyan - Gets half a point for HELPEST ME STOPPETH THIS INSANE CONTRAPTION or whatever the line was in the army camp except I can't do .5s.  Otherwise blah blah honor blah blah failure.  2/10.
Setzer - Was fun, but otherwise there.  3/10.
Mog - Badass, but even less there, sadly.  2/10.
Strago - Herp derp I are Ugly Old Man.  Joining a cult out of despair is worth a point I guess?  3/10.
Relm - Herp derp I are token loli.  Owning Ultros gets her a point.  3/10.
Gogo - Mime/10
Umaro - Yeti/10
Banon - Needed to exist more.  3/10

Gestahl - Bleh, his worth as a character is about as much as it is for a villain, maybe even less, I dunno.  2/10
Kefka - Eats babies, sure, but works so much better than the standard herp derp I are ebil baby eating overlord at the end of the game FIGHT ME types that preceded him.  As a character he gains an extra point for humor.  6/10.
Leo - Herp derp I are honorable adversary that is doomed to be betrayed.  2/10.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:09:30 PM by Random Consonant »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:59:49 PM »
Terra: 7/10. Terra's pretty well done, but hampered by her need to be the player's point of view character early on. Has self-doubt without being whiny about it. Unlike the other two main characters, doesn't fill a lot of different roles in the plot, though. Also, easy to identify with, because who hasn't at some point felt like they didn't react emotionally the way someone was "supposed to?"

Locke: 10/10. Uh, duh. Locke is a versatile character. Plays both a traditional and non-traditional hero role in the game, and has a personal plot that justifies his role in the group without ever having him get in to mandatory exposition mode, which I hate. And once again, another character who's easy to identify with. Lots of people try to cover up that they haven't gotten past someone, or worry that they won't be able to help someone important to them, no matter how much they want to save everyone.

Edgar: 8/10. Edgar is a pretty likable character. This is good because he is around quite a bit in the early going. And for a... let's call him "primary supporting" character like Edgar, that's all you really need. His relationship with his brother and his Bro also give him an air of normality that you wouldn't normally get with a mechanic king who lives in a submarine castle in the desert.

Sabin: 7/10. I like Sabin. He is quippy and interacts well with other characters.

Shadow: 8/10. Ah, Shadow. You're kind of a prick but I really like how the player has to piece together who you are rather than having it handed to you. Optional exposition! FF6, you were ahead of your time.

Celes: 10/10. Another very versatile character, Celes is alternately a foil, love interest, or main character, depending. She has most of the scenes people remember about the game, so bonus to her for that. Plus, I like how her personal interactions change. Early on she's a huge bitch because she doesn't know how else to be.

Gau: 5/10. Gets five points for that one scene with his dad and how you realized how totally fucked up it all was.

Cyan: 6/10. Man, Cyan, you are super-depressing. But that's what they were going for, so mission accomplished.

Setzer: 6/10. Setzer worked for what he was. He was kind of a skeptical dick at first, but I like how not everyone is automatically on board with you, and not everyone is BFFs from the start.

Mog: 1/10. I've always kind of wondered if they ever planned on doing anything with him. He seemed like a cut element that had the character itself left in.

Strago: 3/10. Old man gets depressed and joins a doomsday cult I can buy, I guess.

Relm: 2/10. +1 for interactions with Shadow.

Gogo: DNR.

Umaro: DNR.

Banon: DNR Seemed like another dropped plot thread to me. Just disappears.

Gestahl: 4/10. Really tries. I spent years thinking he had something to do with leading the party to the Phoenix Cave with his letter.

Kefka: 10/10. Kefka embodies the quality in villains I enjoy the most: exuberance. You know he doesn't need an alarm clock because he goes to work every day and really enjoys what he does, and that's something I really find entertaining.

Leo: 7/10. My only gripe is that he is just a LITTLE too nice. Instead of their "hey those Domans are also people," I would have had him say something like... "Remember that the army has a Code of Conduct in warfare we abide by. Do not allow Kefka to violate them, or we will be no better than the monsters they claim us to be." or something.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:01:51 PM »
Classic Game:

Final Fantasy 6

Terra: 6/10
Locke: 4/10
Edgar: 8/10 - Has a cape.
Sabin: 4/10
Shadow: 2/10
Celes: 7/10
Gau: 5/10 - Mr. Thou!
Cyan: 3/10
Setzer: 5/10
Mog: 4/10
Strago: 5/10
Relm: 7/10
Gogo: mime/10
Umaro: yeti/10
Banon: 5/10

Gestahl: 4/10
Kefka: 8/10 - Eight, he says!  Do I look like an eighter to you?
Leo: 4/10

New game:

Mana Khemia 2

Raze: 7/10
Lily: 8/10
Whim: 9/10
Et: 6/10
Puniyo: 9/10 - Punii~
Jiro: 6/10
Kichi: 3/10
Taro: 4/10
Yun: 6/10
Ulrika: 7/10
Chloe: 7/10
Goto: 0/10
Pepperoni: 1/10
Enna: 2/10
Flay: 5/10
Tony: 7/10
Zeppel: 5/10
Marta: 1/10
Reicher: 7/10
Sasalina: 5/10

Lack of .5s makes this hard.  Not enough precision.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra - 7/10. I always liked her.
Locke - 5/10. Never a huge Locke fan, but he's no worse then average at least.
Edgar - 8/10. Yeah, Edgar hits the right notes with me.
Sabin - 7/10. Random fanboyism. Gate like martial artist characters, act shocked.
Shadow - 3/10. Two points from his optional stuff, one from the FC. Other then that, kinda lame.
Celes - 6/10. Never could put a finger on it, but I never liked her as much as I liked Terra. Still not bad, mind.
Gau - 5/10. Wildboy stuff was funny, but he was a little annoying at times and lacked any real presence. Average works.
Cyan - 4/10. Just kinda there.
Setzer - 4/10. Just kinda there.
Mog - 6/10. Random fanboyism.
Strago - 5/10. Old man who still isn't about to roll over and die yet gets him a point. Lacks presence otherwise.
Relm - 7/10. Can't explain why, but I like Realm. Part of it's the style, magical artist is cool.
Gogo - 1/10. Doesn't exist.
Umaro - 3/10. Gets owned by Mog which is amusing, but otherwise doesn't exist. Also gets a point for randomly showing up in doorways and cave mouths and stuff in Narshe before you can get him, which freaked me the hell out as a kid.
Banon - 2/10. Yeah, gets hyped up as important then stops existing. Lame.

Gestahl - 4/10. He tries, then gets hilariously owned by Kefka. It's a good scene, but those are Kefka's points, not his.
Kefka - 10/10. Kefka is the reason to play FF6, character wise. Just the right kind of irredeemable asshole villian. Gets points for basically winning, then kicking back and just doing his own thing. He's not sending consecutively stronger minions after you in the WoR, he doesn't give a rat's ass about you until you actually go after him. Also, creepy. Yeah, Kefka really sets the bar for one of my favorite villian types.
Leo - 5/10. Had potential, but it was wasted. Really needed more done with him. Rob's idea would have actually made him alot cooler, yes.

New game:

Mana Khemia 2

Haven't finished this yet, so not rating everyone. Anyone I don't rate is an Abstain, of course.

Raze - 7/10. I clicked with Raze pretty fast. He's cool.
Lily - 8/10. I normally hate her type. She's somehow funny as hell though.
Whim  - 6/10. Meh on her own, but she sets Lily up for alot of her good stuff, so that's worth points.
Et - 3/10. I liked her more until she and Enna were in the same scenes. Abuse of younger siblings is one of the fastest ways to make me dislike a character.
Puniyo - 6/10. Cute and amusing. I apparently haven't seen her good stuff yet, though. Still not that far into Raze's path.
Jiro/Kichi/Taro - DNR. They're really part of Puniyo's character, I don't really agree with rating them seperately. 
Yun - 5/10. So far, just there. That doesn't sound like it's going to change much.

Ulrika - 1/10. Feel free to discount this, as I haven't played her path at all. But from what you see of her in Raze's path? Yeah, she's completely unlikable.
Chloe
Goto
Pepperoni
Enna - 5/10. Poor kid. Kinda exists to be abused. I pity him, but that's still not a really likable trait. Average works.

Flay - 8/10. Is Flay and thus funny.
Tony - 6/10. Don't see as much of him in Raze's path probably, but what is there is good enough.
Zeppel - 4/10. Didn't mind him in MK1. He just seems to be a snivviling wuss now. Lame.
Marta
Reicher
Sasalina
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 09:25:43 PM »
Terra - 4/10. Is there, does nothing major but nothing offensive.
Locke - 9/10. Yoshi likes thieves, says nothing. Extra point for ripping lungs out.
Edgar - 8/10. Yoshi likes manwhores, says nothing.
Sabin - 5/10. Fun character, but nothing special.
Shadow - 3/10. At least he's an original twist on the AAAANGST by actually having some backstory/dialogue regarding it?
Celes - 1/10. Wait she did stuff what? Yeah, I never cared for Celes ever.
Gau - 5/10. All of his points come from "Mr. Thou!" and "Shiny! Shiny shiny shiny shiny shiny!"
Cyan - 4/10. Works for what he is, as much as it's a character stereotype I hate.
Setzer - 7/10. "I've nothing to lose but my life, and I got that for free!" It's a shame they gave him the KH treatment.
Mog - 2/10. Exists.
Strago - 1/10. Ugh, burn in a fire.
Relm - 6/10. Likable young girl? Sure, I'll take it. Needed more screentime to be higher.
Gogo - 2/10. Exists.
Umaro - 1/10. Annoying for what little he exists.
Banon - 2/10. Exists.

Gestahl - 3/10. Generic evil Emperor. Doesn't really do much of interest, other than setting up for...
Kefka - 10/10. Yeah. Pretty much the perfect villain as far as they go, and an interesting character regardless. He's completely eccentric, -actually- insane unlike so many characters that just fail to pull it off, and a total dick. He's the character you love to hate, and a pretty perfect guideline for the insane villains in other games.
Leo - 7/10. I really like what they pulled with him, both at Doma and Thamasa, but he really needed more than just those two scenes. Think his only other section was on the boat, and he didn't do a damn thing. Shame, really, since he was a decent character for what little he was there for.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 01:00:03 AM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra - 7/10
Locke - 7/10 - Oh man decimals so hard for poor little Ko here .5s killed my family
Edgar - 10/10 - Aw yeah
Sabin - 5/10
Shadow - 7/10
Celes - 8/10
Gau - 7/10
Cyan - 5/10
Setzer - 8/10
Mog - 8/10
Strago - 4/10
Relm - 4/10
Gogo  - 2/10
Umaro - 6/10
Banon - 3/10

Gestahl - 5/10
Kefka - 8/10 - guys his name is totally cefca IN THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE
Leo - 6/10

New game:

Mana Khemia 2

Raze - 7/10 - Aw yeah straight man
Lily - 10/10 - Should've called it LILY path
Whim - 8/10
Et  - 10/10
Puniyo - 7/10

Jiro
Kichi - Ko are you a puni
Taro

Yun - 3/10 - zzzz
Ulrika - 10/10 - Should be President
Chloe - 7/10
Goto - 4/10 - He was hyped up as this great failure but he makes all his material not funny (but not offensive either, just kind of there)
Pepperoni - 7/10
Enna - 6/10
Flay - 9/10
Tony - 7/10
Zeppel - 4/10
Marta - 5/10
Reicher - 8/10 - Oh man yaoi
Sasalina - 7/10
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:33:34 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 02:56:57 AM »
Classic Game:

Final Fantasy 6

Terra - 10/10. Really sympathetic character. And she works as a strong lead for this kind of ensemble cast. I always remember thinking that it was pretty bold to have your central character shoot off into the sky in a flash of light leaving the rest of the cast the spotlight for a while. Her interactions with General Leo, Edgar, Kefka, and of course, Duane/Katarine always stood out in my mind. Presentation was generally superb, too, doing a lot fairly unique things for games at the time that hold up surprisingly well today.
Locke - 7/10. Above average. I feel his backstory is downplayed a bit more than most characters of his type, and that works really well for him. Really, he's a proto-Yuri in a lot of ways.
Edgar - 7/10. Good, could be higher. He's a really enjoyable character to watch, for all that he's not particularly deep. I always liked Sabin better, but the two play well together.
Sabin - 8/10. Needs more screentime. His early parts were always entertaining and I looked forward to them every time I replayed the game. It's a shame how he fades out of the story.
Shadow - 4/10. All four points are for his backstory presentation. I really don't like him much.
Celes - 9/10. A really fantastic character who goes through a lot of trials through the game that really made me care about her. When I was younger, I liked Celes more than Terra, though it's shifted somewhat the more I played through the game and my taste for angst dissipated.
Gau - 5/10. Somewhat amusing + that scene with his father is pretty visceral.
Cyan - 5/10. Depressing, but good at it.
Setzer - 6/10. Better than average. Enjoyable, but forgettable. Needed more screentime to make him great.
Mog - 5/10. Doesn't really do much, but inoffensive and has one or two funny lines.
Strago - 6/10. Has some funny lines and I particularly like the scene where he meets Shadow in Thamasa.
Relm - 7/10. Just really likeable and memorable. Even among 'standard loli trope', I always found Relm to be fun and not fanservice-y.
Gogo - 1/10. No. 'zOMG, I'm a MYSTARY'
Umaro - 2/10. No, but doesn't piss me off as much as Gogo's existence.
Banon - 4/10. Works for what he is, average. Loses a point for Lete River frustration.

Gestahl - 5/10. Feels somewhat standard as a villain, but he at least had clear, understandable goals, and worked as an excellent foil to Kefka.
Kefka - 10/10. I like him. A thousand-word essay on why I think he's great is probably unnecessary.
Leo - 6/10. Died well.

Mana Khemia 2:
Couldn't you have started with Mana Khemia 1? ;_;

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »
Mana Khemia two is immpossible for me to get hold of while I've only played like a 1/4 of FF6 even though I have it on this PC right here. Voting regardless on the guys I know I can vote on.

Final Fantasy 6

Shadow - 3/10 - Ninja with a mysterious past *Yawn*
Gau - 5/10 - Without him some parts would just have Cyan crying/raging.
Cyan - 6/10 - Saved by Gau somewhat.
Mog - 2/10 - Random animal that is kind. I haven't fully played the game but I doubt anything would change if I did.
Gogo - 1/10 - Is totally Leo in disguise. You know why those revive tricks didn't work for you? Because you had Leo in the party the whole time.
Umaro - 1/10 - Random.
Banon - 4/10 - Old Man who makes the hero see the path they want to take.... Nice twist that he fails but sadly he blinks out of existance. Hell I don't even remember how he vanishes.

Kefka - 9/10 - Good for his day. Helps that he wasn't A. Generic evil god/King or B. Good guy who turns evil for little reason.
Leo - 6/10 - Hate the character type but works and stands up to Kefka.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 03:33:03 PM »
Note:  All this is viewed through the lens of nostalgia/placed within its time.  For an SNES game it's damn good plot-wise, at least.  So much so that I kind of don't want a remake because then I'll be forced to compare the game to more recent ones with better plots.

Final Fantasy 6

Terra - 8/10.  Works for what she was, although she set an annoying precedent for amnesiac point of view characters.  Grows out of it quickly, though.
Locke - 9/10.  I rather liked his backstory and how it informs his actions early in the game.
Edgar - 7/10.  Likeable.
Sabin - 6/10. Likeable.
Shadow - 5/10.  On the one hand, Rob's right--optional exposition that doesn't even tell you the full story once you get it all?  Nice, and works well with a MYSTARYIOS side character.  On the other hand, the way you go about getting it is a little too obtuse and too random. 
Celes - 9/10.  Most memorable scene in the game, etc.
Gau - 4/10.  Fucked up relationship with his dad.  Also Mr. Thou!
Cyan - 5/10.  Of the characters with backstory, his is the least interesting and it's still pretty damn good.
Setzer - 5/10.  Okay well maybe Cyan's the second least interesting.
Mog - 2/10.  Owns Umaro?
Strago - 3/10.  Kinda there.
Relm - 4/10. More there than Strago.
Gogo - 1/10
Umaro - 1/10
Banon - 3/10.  Sage/diplomat/rebel/not there most of the game.  EDIT:  Honestly would have been a lot more interesting if he was killed when the party's betrayed by the Emperor and the FC is raised.

Gestahl - 3/10 I was convinced he was an anthropomorphic dog for most of my childhood.  When I realized he wasn't Dog Hitler he got a lot less interesting.
Kefka - 10/10.  All style, no substance, and it works.
Leo - 4/10.  Too similar to Cyan.  Rob's idea WOULD have made him a lot more interesting.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:37:58 PM by Makkotah »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »
Ulrika - 1/10. Feel free to discount this, as I haven't played her path at all. But from what you see of her in Raze's path? Yeah, she's completely unlikable.

Raze is the same way. You don't see either character at their best when you're playing from the other's viewpoint. Personally, I liked Ulrika better because she actually wanted to participate in things and I didn't think she was so much angry as she was frustrated most of the time. Also, "And if that doesn't work we'll resort to violence...On second thought let's start with that!"

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »
I always felt that Banon being offed when Gestahl decided to stab the party in the back was implied, but it certainly could have stood be spelled out a bit more. Since really the only thing that implies it is that Edgar et al. escape, and don't bring Banon with them, and then you can never find him again.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 10:37:13 PM »
I always felt that Banon being offed when Gestahl decided to stab the party in the back was implied, but it certainly could have stood be spelled out a bit more. Since really the only thing that implies it is that Edgar et al. escape, and don't bring Banon with them, and then you can never find him again.

Pretty much agree with this.  Though, since we "don't see the body", if FF6 gets a sequel or something (GOD FORBID), don't be shocked to see an asspull of "Banon lived cause we said so!"  Before you say "Square isn't THAT stupid", I'll just say "Rufus" and "Advent Children" <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
Square isn't THAT stupid

Don't get me wrong, I like Square well enough... but why would anyone say this? Ever?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 10:43:20 PM »
Good question, but it can't hurt to make pre-emptive statements like that?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 10:47:17 PM »
Ulrika is really unlikable on Raze path, truth be told. Raze isn't sunshine and rainbows in Ulrika's path either - they only show their more interesting colors in their own paths.

Rating the one game whose characters I actually care about besides mechanics.

Mana Khemia 2

Raze - 7/10. Straight man! Manages to be both passive-aggressive, kind of a jerk and somehow not insane too. He's a very good bridge for the party, and worthwhile on his own. Loses a point for the dumb srsbsns plot, though.
Lily - 9/10. Objectively not worth a 9, but decimals aren't an option here. Regardless, she's one of the funniest female PCs ever. Made to keep the player off balance, runs the party through sheer force of will and is responsible for many of the best scenarios and scenes in the game. Glorious.
Whim - 5/10. Agree with CK, but she grated on me a lot more when she was serious while not being as amusing when she was being abused. She's the most effective vessel for Lily's unbalance, but there are four other vessels, three of which have more going for them.
Et - 8/10. She just makes me smile. I don't even give her flak for the brother abuse, because it's just loooooooove~ Also responsible for my second-favorite CQ in the entire game, so that's more credit. Such a complete ditz and so very fun.
Puniyo - 7/10. Puniyo is really, really funny. Being the borderline sadistic and devious link of the party gave her tons of moments to shine. The srsbsns plot drags her down, though. Excellent support character, sorta loses luster when she's the main attraction.
Jiro - 7/10. to all the Puni Bros. Feel like they're a collective entity, and they're also the other part of what makes Puniyo fun. They just fail to stand out separately.
Kichi - 7/10.
Taro - 7/10.
Yun - 4/10. zzzzzzz, gains one point for Corona trainwreck because I'm generous today.

Ulrika - 7/10. Yeah, she's a dumb yokel who's pretty goddamned full of herself. But it's fine: the game gives her the treatment she deserves, and she reacts accordingly. Also, "How can I live a life of decadent wealth now!?" just made me smile. So not your typical female lead, and works very well as the epicenter of the hilarious contempt spiral that engulfs her troupe.
Chloe - 7/10. Calling her Lezardarina feels like a bit of an insult. She's like the evil, logical extreme of Et replacing superstrength and epic ditziness with a cruel sense of humor and poorly disguised cartoonish sadism. It works.
Goto - 2/10. Man, this is such a botch. Goto had the potential to be funny, but his interaction with Pepperoni is just insanely embarrassing. The fact the game kinda glorifies his borderline rapist modus operandi? Also not cool. Also, ick at the Enna/Goto scene in his fourth CQ.
Pepperoni - 3/10. Not very fun except when being ruthlessly destroyed by Ulrika. When you factor in that the rest of the time involves him Ho Yaying with Goto... um yeah.
Enna - 4/10. Enna gets some great scenes. However, they're good not by his own merit, and, besides being a ladder, he offers... woobieness and being sorta whiny. Can't really give him that much credit. I don't mind him, but he's sort of low-end as far as MK2 PC cast goes.
Flay - 9/10. The logical extension (and extreme!) of MK1 Flay. This is absolutely brilliant, and Flay even gets plenty of screentime.
Tony - 7/10. Tony is even better in MK2 than he was in MK1... when he gets the screentime. A lot like Flay as a logical extension of his first appearance, but shines so far less.
Zeppel - 5/10. Man, what a wuss. >_>
Marta - 3/10. Really needed to get owned harder, and loses points for the irrelevance later on.
Reicher - 5/10. That's a poor archetype. But man, somehow, I find Reicher kinda entertaining in a weird way. I think it's just because calling him Pedo Vayne is funny.
Sasalina - 4/10. I've ranted about her before. Stereotypical, but had some fun interactions until plotz came in and stole her. The plot device shanghai works as a bridge, but it takes the luster out of Sally - and takes it early.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:14:26 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 11:03:12 PM »
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 01:34:14 AM »
Heads up: I'll be updating this on Monday most likely, so get your votes in over the weekend!

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 06:05:15 AM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra - 7/10. I could do without her "I want to love", but for most of the time I found her likable and she had some rather cool concepts.
Locke - 7/10. Likable, but misses some potential. I liked the scenes with Rachel in which you actually see her, but other scenes in which you don't see her, but Locke act a bit depressed due to what happened to her didn't do much for me. I found myself wishing for more situations like South Figaro where Locke is funny rather than serious.
Edgar - 6/10. He has a few good scenes, but that's it.
Sabin - 5/10. I found him rather bland for most of the time. Somewhat likable though.
Shadow - 4/10. I can't say I cared about him. His backstory is good, but it can't carry him. Often I found his dog more interesting than him.
Celes - 6/10. She does have a good number of meaningful scenes. I have a hard time actually liking her though and nothing about her really invoked much emotional response in me.
Gau - 4/10. Sometimes funny, other times annoying.
Cyan - 6/10. Did a good job with the depressing scene. I don't find tragedy sufficient to fill out a character though.
Setzer - 5/10. I have a hard time understanding his archetype. On the plus side, he does have a few good lines.
Mog - 4/10. A Mog. I think that covers most of it.
Strago - 5/10. Sometimes funny, but usually not.
Relm - 7/10. The most fun character and very likable. Unfortunately, also one of the least integral to the plot and lacks screentime which prevents a higher score.
Gogo - 3/10. Barely qualifies as a character.
Umaro - 3/10. Exists.
Banon - 4/10. Has only a few meaningful scenes and rapidly grows less and less significant until he stops existing at all. Feels more like a mission objective than a character.

Gestahl - 6/10. Nothing fancy about him (except maybe for his dog ears), but he worked for what he was.
Kefka - 8/10. It's nice with a villain who's for once just batshit insane instead of a personification of evil or some guy with a far-fetched justification. Also has a lot of style.
Leo - 6/10. He had one very good scene. Lacked screentime though.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 02:46:36 PM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra- 7/10. Yeah, works.
Locke- 7/10. Worked as Terra's sort of mentor.
Edgar- 8/10. Had the best comic lines in the game and plenty of good, serious plot as well.
Sabin- 6/10. No complaints.
Shadow- 6/10. Plot's a little fragmentary, which hurts. He's still not bad.
Celes- 3/10. Do not want.
Gau- 2/10. Amusing at points, but mostly go away.
Cyan- 2/10- Didn't much care.
Setzer- 6/10.
Mog- 4/10. A few memorable moments but barely existed.
Strago- 3/10. Barely there.
Relm- 1/10. Obnoxious.
Gogo- DNR
Umaro- DNR
Banon- 3/10. He was hugely important!... for the first few hours, then he falls off the face of the earth after Terra leaves the party in Narshe. Gets played for a fool by Gestahl and killed for it.

Gestahl- 6/10. Very competent on the whole, minus badly misjudging Kefka.
Kefka- 2/10. Obnoxious.
Leo- 6/10. Worked, though could have used more screentime.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 10:57:12 PM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra: 3. Opposite of most people, but I was not fond of WoR Terra at all.
Celes- 7. Most meaningful impact characterwise, even if not the most likable.
Gau- 2
Mog-2
Gestahl- This isn't a dog?! Lies! No rating.
Kefka- 8. So damn annoying, but that was purposeful. Evil and effective.

New game:

Mana Khemia 2

Raze- 4. Plot Raze is a 2-3. Non-plot Raze is 5-6. 4 works.
Lily- 10. Wins the game.
Whim- 6.
Et- 3. She gets better as the game goes, but she's...not far from braindead. Her parents could make great money selling her into a salt mine.
Puniyo- 8
Jiro- 6
Kichi- 6
Taro- 6
Yun- 2. Such deadweight. Looks a lot worse by being in the better cast.
Ulrika- 7. Works very well as Chloe-bait
Chloe- 8. Held back by being stuck in the worse cast.
Goto- 0. Hell no to pedophiles. His score is low enough as is, but someone who is like 40 sleeping with a bunch of teen girls?
Pepperoni- 4. 3 of these points are because even Ulrika can verbally skewer him.
Enna- 3. Bland
Flay- 7. Held back by screentime
Tony- 7.
Zeppel- 2. This is a worthless piece of flesh.
Marta- 2. In love with Goto=more points lost (Not like she had many to use).
Reicher- 4.
Sasalina- 4. Poor bitch.
...into the nightfall.