Author Topic: Rate the characters 2: RATE HARDER!  (Read 32571 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the characters 2: RATE HARDER!
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2010, 08:53:04 AM »
LOL'd   LOL'ed

Someone go to Virginia and punch this man in the dick.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2010, 10:26:07 AM »
BONUS!!! Mighty Morphing Power Rangers (first 3 seasons only)
Jason 10/10 HELL YEAH JASON!
Zack Black5/10
Trini 5/10
Kimberly 8/10 RAWR
Billy 2/10 NERD EWWWWW
Tommy 0/10 SOD OFF TOMMY!
Rocky 4/10 Way to replace Jason you jerk!  Oh wait, you replaced Tommy.  Probably.
Adam 10/10 JOHNNY YONG BOSCH POWER GOOOOOOOOO
Aisha 1/10 Also Who?
Katherine 2/10 FOR BEWBS!

Zordon 10/10 WANTS TEENAGERS WITH ATTITUDE!
Alpha-5 2/10 PROBABLY GAY!
Bulk 10/10 EVENTUALLY WENT INTO SPACE!
Skull 2/10 Didn't go into space.
Ernie 1/10 The bar guy right?  Who cares.

Rita 8/10 Girl had style!
Goldar 6/10 Better when he was actually tough.  Comic relief really blew him off.
Squat 0/10 FATTIE!  Probably.
Baboo 01/0 Isn't a baby in a robot baby suit.
Finster 5/10 Well, he looked neat.
Scorpina ???????
Lord Zedd 10/10 Now here's a villain with presence!  For all of a few episodes.  But hey, that's better than most.
Rito ??????
Master Vile ??????
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:48:37 PM by Fudozukushi »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »
Have I mentioned lately OK is the best?

Wild ARMs 4
Jude: 7.5/10. Very believable kid character. His approach to the world was upbeat and often naive, but very refreshing and he genuinely felt his age, something most RPG kids fail to do. Also wtf guys, Jude likes lots of adults.
Yulie: 5/10. Sorta the weak link. STOP APOLOGISING DAMNIT. But hey, people do that.
Arnaud: 8/10. Love him. He's a bit of a rascal, and the game isn't afraid to cut him down for it, but he's also shown to be very caring and definitely grows up as the game goes along. The Raquel relationship gets "awww" points, too.
Raquel: 8/10. Could stand to be more -interesting-, but she's a very solid female role model type character, which I like. And despite my comments, she avoids falling into the soulless badass trope, see Arnaud.
Kresnik: 1/10. Grah. Hate Kresnik. It's not just that he's pointlessly emo (yes, your life sucks, but others have it worse) and too stupid to get how much his sister cares about him, I can accept that as his character flaws. it's that the game seems to go out of its way to glorify him like he's some sort of amazing human being.
Ethelda (Jude's Mother): 6/10. Works well enough. Especially the death scene.

Tony: 7/10. Is hilarious. Even if I didn't get a kick out of the constant demotions gimmick, I just really like his commentary on the world. Making the recurring joke boss this -dark- ("I need war!") is pretty unusual. Also WHY CAN'T I BEAT A BUNCH OF KIDS?!?
Jeremy: 5/10. Wanker, but serves his purpose in the plot well - to make the rest of Brionac more sympathetic by REALISING he's a wanker.
Scythe: 6/10. WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO-?
Belial: 5/10. Lacks Scythe's awesome exit, but still part of a very well-done part of the plot.
Hugo: 5/10. Yeah, he's memorable and pretty cool. Seemed to have it together way more than most of the Brionac flunkies.
Fiore: 2/10.
Asia: 2/10. There's some really stupid writing surrounding these two.
Balgaine: 3/10. Kinda treads Tony's territory but is both less amusing and less convincing at it.
Enil: 5/10.
Augst: 7/10. Had very reasonable reasons for betraying Ethelda and co., and then was quite amusing and an excellent voice of reason for Brionac. Also I loved that he planned to throw all of Brionac at the kids at once. Genre-savvy.
Gawn: 7/10. Punches missiles.
Farmel: 5/10. Lambda relationship was cool, at least. Less one-sided than most male main villain/female subordinate relationships in RPGs. Still kinda one-sided, and it's all she really has besides some style.
Lambda: 7/10. I liked him. He really, really -believed- in what he was doing, and when that gets torn out from under him he does go a little crazy. His plan is kinda bonkers, but you can see where he's coming from at least.
Hauser: 1/10. Fuck. Like Lambda's motivations, but instead of justified good-naturedness gone a bit overboard, he just makes no fucking sense (EXTINCTION = NO WAR). While I want to give him Xorn points for KINDNESS CHANGES NOTHING and TRUE PEACE IS BUILT ON THE CORPSES OF MEN, he just builds up too much negative value for his highly mysogynistic scene with Ethelda.
The Congressional Knights: 6/10. Haha, they fail so much, it's great.

Jason: 4/10. He's kinda there. Minus a point because the episode where ALL THE OTHER RANGERS GET THEIR POWERS STOLEN JASON TO THE RESCUE!!! is probably my least favourite I can recall.
Zack: 6/10. Pretty cool.
Trini: 5/10. Heh, I'm pretty sure I had a minor crush on her too.
Kimberly: 3/10. I remember not liking her much. She just came off as kinda ditzy most of the time, when she even existed.
Billy: 8/10. Aw yeah Billy. Gets actual character growth, and I love how he doesn't start out as a premade superhero like the rest.
Tommy: 6/10. I dunno, he's cool enough, but I'm not sure I see the greater hype. Maybe if his evil ranger-ness was actually based on some character flaws, but IIRC it was just all mind control and he was really an awesome guy.
Rocky: 3/10. I don't remember you.
Adam: 7/10. Is Johnny Young Bocsh. And easily my favourite of the new trio. That might be just because he shared a name with my best friend at the time, I dunno!
Aisha: 3/10. Don't remember you either.
Katherine: Pretty sure I didn't really watch the episodes with you!

Zordon: 3/10. WHY CAN'T YOU SEE HIS MOUTH?
Alpha-5: 4/10. Ai yai yai yai yai! Well, at least he's funny.
Bulk: 7/10. Good comic relief. And yeah, ENDS UP IN SPACE. It's funny how he was the longest-lasting character on the show.
Skull: 7/10.
Ernie: I don't remember you! Even though I'm pretty sure I watched a bunch of episodes with you in them!

Rita: 6/10. What the fuck was up with that outfit? Oh well.
Goldar: 6/10. Is a monkey. I guess the honourable warrior shtick isn't bad, but he was fought way too many times.
Squat: 3/10. Blue.
Baboo: 2/10. More annoying than Squatt.
Finster: 5/10. He always seemed so much nicer than the other bad guys.
Scorpina: 10/10. Is me! She always seemed more menacing and effective than Goldar. Plus, the scorpion outfit was pretty snazzy, and she shares a voice actress with Raquel and Nel, therefore awesome!
Lord Zedd: 7/10. Had real presence when he joined, yeah.
Rito: I don't remember you!
Master Vile: Or you!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2010, 03:33:36 AM »
Wild ARMs 4
Jude - 4/10
Yulie - 6/10
Arnaud - 9/10
Raquel - 9/10
Kresnik - 0/10
Ethelda (Jude's Mother) - 6/10

Tony - 8/10
Jeremy - 5/10
Scythe - 7/10
Belial - 7/10
Hugo - 7/10
Fiore - 2/10
Asia - 2/10
Balgaine - 5/10
Enil - 5/10
Augst - 8/10
Gawn - 6/10
Farmel - 1/10
Lambda - 6/10
Hauser - 1/10
The Congressional Knights - 4/40
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:56:12 PM by Talaysen »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2010, 06:12:15 AM »
Wild ARMs 4
Jude: 10/10 stfu haters
Yulie: 10/10. I'M SORRYYYY! NOT A BURDEN! Is probably me in disguise.
Arnaud: 7/10. Gets points for having my favorite romantic line like ever.
Raquel: 7/10. Good.
Kresnik: 1/10. luuuulz
Ethelda (Jude's Mother): Um?

Tony: 9/10. Obvious
Jeremy: 1/10. no
Scythe: 5/10: VAMPIIIRE before it was cool
Belial: 5/10. creepy
Hugo: He... is a character?
Fiore: 2/10
Asia: 2/10. See Elfboy
Balgaine: 7/10. CHAINSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW ROCKET MAN
Enil: 3/10. um
Augst: 10/10. Augst.
Gawn: 1/10. ffff
Farmel: 1/10 ffff
Lambda: 5/10. Fine, I guess.
Hauser: 1/10. ffff
The Congressional Knights: 8/10. Hell yeah!!! Best characters ever, and have such compelling villain motivations!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2010, 06:55:45 AM »
WA4 is strange.  There are actually a lot of things about its presentation that I like - for starters, more games should have the inter-party chats constantly during the middle of dungeons a la Tales skits that WA4 has.  This is actually amazingly huge for me liking the cast.  That said...  WA4 definitely functions better as a whole and in groups than alone.  As in, a lot of characters kind of fail individually, but work well in their roles, so I can't complain too much.

Wild ARMs 4
Jude - 5/10 - The weakest link of the cast.  Much as I'd like to hate on him, I can't deny that, given that we are having a 13-year-old with superpowers in the cast (probably a bad idea), they did in fact write him like a 13-year-old.  Which fits.  His extreme innocence is a fair enough perspective to include for dialogue, and it also sets up the plot's theme quite well, even if that theme is totally wrong (young people are awesome, old people ruined the world - in order of age, Jude / Yulie are innocent, Arnaud / Raquel know the horrible truth but are still basically good hearted, Brionac blew up the world, and the Congressional Knights are just super evil.)
Yulie - 6/10.  Yulie is basically a giant plot device.  I actually do respect the choice to make the first half of the game be just running away and trying to get Yulie to safety / obscurity, with everyone else's plot secondary - the cast doesn't start out as world-savers and more games should do that.  Anyway, the CONCEPT of Yulie is actually pretty dumb, but her dialogue once again saves a character who I would by default dislike.  Her plot doesn't exactly add up from the timeframe given in the game, but oh well. 
Arnaud - 7/10.  His quotes are a bit repetitive, but I liked Arnaud, especially the way he tried to act more grown-up than he was.  The cowardice note was also well-handled, I thought.  Otherwise, enjoyable dialogue, and he worked.
Raquel - 9/10.  And this isn't really particularly from swordgirl fandom or anything, to be clear.  Raquel nails what very few games even bother to try: someone who's honest, not cynical, knows what she wants, and goes about getting it.  The anti-Yuri, if you will (much as I love Yuri, too).  Raquel wants to experience beauty and enjoy the world in the time she has left, so she's not going to sulk around - her refreshing directness about "Hey, I like you guys, let's join up" actually made sense.  It wasn't the usual "Blargh I want vengeance against villain X" motive that so many choose, even though Raquel could actually have taken that as her motive!  But it wasn't.  She didn't really seem to care at all about Hauser.  And she doesn't join up for no reason at all than sheer do-gooderism, either.  The way Raquel's disease is treated was also quite tasteful, and her stoic acceptance but determination to do something while she could - like protect her friend Yulie - stood out.  Yeah, for someone who has, ultimately, fairly little plot, the game nailed Raquel.
Kresnik - 4/10.  Uh.  I liked what they were TRYING to do with Kresnik.  I think.  I absolutely love the plotline in the sense of "I'm a slightly above normal dude, but I'm going to hang with super-powered types through sheer determination (and drugs)."  Fit with Raquel & Arnaud being more interesting than the super-powered Yulie/Jude, too.  Shame they couldn't make up their mind about what the heck Kresnik was supposed to be up to.  His relationship toward Yulie goes back and forth too much - after he joins up to rescue her, that should have been the end of that arc.  His ending is also super-lame, and more generally it's not really clear what his stake is in the Prison sequence, as that seemed to focus more on his !rivalry with Jude.  There are a lot of ways that Kresnik could have been cool, but it never quite gelled.
Ethelda (Jude's Mother) - DNR.  Vessel of the Plot, that's it.  Though I will note with her that the timeline doesn't seem to line up exactly right - I think that the Global Union was supposed to have been defeated 10 years ago or so, but it seemed like Yulie was old enough to be at the White Orphanage a lot less time than that, and moreover it's weird that the Knights took so long to bother trying to track down a fairly interesting GU experiment that they seem to have known all about.  Did Kresnik only inform them recently or something?  And wasn't *Augst* behind the satellite nanomachines thing?  Did the Knights run the facility after the GU, but then close it down, but then change their mind and run after the released experiments after all?  What huh?

Brionac in general - One thing I found odd about Brionac's motives.  The game sets up a perfect excuse for them to dislike Yulie and Jude - basically, that Yulie and Jude are after-effects of the old war and inherently a danger to society, since with their powers they could restart the settled fight, and they need to be wiped out for the old war to truly go away.  Instead, we end up with weird comments like Jeremy's "the war never ended!" that seem to imply Brionac just doesn't know how to stop fighting, which kind of goes against the attempts to make 'em sympathetic.

Tony - 5/10.  He worked.  While I dislike the "kids rule, adults drool" plotline, Tony sure helped drill it in.
Jeremy - 6/10.  Worked as a foil for Kresnik.
Scythe - 6/10.  Worked as a plot device to set up Belial.
Belial - 7/10.  It was a short arc, but I really liked the idea here.  Not nearly enough games show that the people Our Heroes kill have wives, girlfriends, children, etc.  (The Deception series is a strong exception!)  This was a chance for reasonably justified vengeance against the heroes.
Hugo - DNR.  Name to stick on a superpower + fight.
Fiore - DNR.  Name on a boss.
Asia - DNR.
Balgaine - DNR.  Name on a boss.
Enil - 4/10.  What exactly was the plan here?  I'd have liked her to try something more subtle than doing one trick and blatantly suspiciously at the end of a dungeon.
Augst - 6/10.  Amusing enough.  "We need data on nanomachines" was kind of random but oh well.
Gawn - 4/10.  They had a chance to do something interesting with Gawn - it'd have been brave and chancy, but to drive in the idea that "war criminals are always on the side that lost."  Since Hauser basically isn't in the game, if they wanted to give that message, Gawn was the man.  As is, uh.  Also, how could Gawn possibly be a secret?  Wasn't he fighting in the war?  I also don't buy why he decides to side with Jude.  I mean, "because Lambda's plan is batshit insane" would work, but he acts more like he's convinced by Jude's unerring determination or something.
Farmel DNR / 3/10.  Mostly a DNR, but meh if she is ranked.  Didn't really exist in the villain-cam, but felt like she should have.
Lambda - 4/10.  Lambda's high point: killing the Knights after, very very belatedly, figuring out that they're totally not actual democrats.  This shows that Lambda actually cares about ideology and principles, which is a good thing.  Lambda's low point: immediately afterward.  Just to reiterate: The Knights, the BAD GUYS, say something along the lines of "do you really think humanity can evolve to be nice?"   Lambda comes to the conclusion that only by starting an unimaginable catastrophe will humanity evolve.  And we are supposed to take this as some kind of sympathetic plot by a mastermind.  Um.  OBJECTION.
Hauser - 4/10.  Why does Hauser help his enemies, again?  He seemed at least semi-sane before.  Because True Peace is Built on a Pile of Corpses, but let me help Jude with his dog?  ...sigh.  Plot before the end was okay at least.
The Congressional Knights - 6/10.  I liked the in-game explanation for a series of boss fights - "Brionac is getting too big for its britches.  Let's order them to fight one at a time to thin 'em out."  Anyway, as for the "parliamentary democracy" faction actually being the bad guys vs. the fascist Global Union, and by democracy we mean "a secret cabal of 6 people who really rule everything," um, JAPAAAAAAAAAAN.  No, really, we know your democracy was weird in the 50s, but even YOUR democracy isn't that bad anymore.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
Brionac in general - One thing I found odd about Brionac's motives.  The game sets up a perfect excuse for them to dislike Yulie and Jude - basically, that Yulie and Jude are after-effects of the old war and inherently a danger to society, since with their powers they could restart the settled fight, and they need to be wiped out for the old war to truly go away.  Instead, we end up with weird comments like Jeremy's "the war never ended!" that seem to imply Brionac just doesn't know how to stop fighting, which kind of goes against the attempts to make 'em sympathetic.

I think you are taking wayyyy to much stock in Jeremy being anything more than a tool that Brionac try to use, he is incredibly pliable and useful when put in situations he can be used.  Otherwise, the dude is a fucking liability and the rest of Brionac treat him as such.

As for why Gawn sides with Jude?  I think you need to watch some Gurren Lagan, that should explain it.  Just remember to not take it seriously and do a plot disection at the end.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2010, 12:06:23 AM »
Jude- 7/10.  Fei scenario. I didn't like him, and then later on I liked all the mind-fuckery that went along with him. So his mom explodes, he is devastated, gets over it, and then at the end he realizes he just killed his father. So when you consider that he is, after the game, presumably the most dangerous man alive (as the last living Class A Gene Driver), it's most likely that he's living in the woods as a hermit just because he doesn't want to kill anyone else.

Yulie- 4/10. You tire me. But you're not absolutely terrible and the game does occasionally call her on her bullshit.  Still needed to shut up more.

Arnaud- 9/10. I really like Arnaud. He shows appreciable, consistent character development and has probably the best cast interaction. He works both on his own and as a foil.

Raquel- 8/10. Mostly for her relationship with Arnaud, which I thought was exceptionally well-done, and her ending, which worked for me.

Kresnik- 3/10. A whiner, but I guess I see where he's coming from. More importantly, why the hell didn't he give Jude any of his useful abilities other than Apoptosis? Fuck you, man.

Ethelda (Jude's Mother)-  5/10. Strictly for her death scene. No emotional farewell, no slow-mo death scene, just "one moment I am here, the next moment I have exploded." That's how it would happen, but games never have the quad to actually do it like that.

Gonna skip some folk.

Augst- 5/10. I felt the reveal at the end where he saved everyone with his contingency plan was a little unnecessary as a last-minute character salvage, but a lot of his early actions were pretty decent.

Gawn- 6/10. Gawn rocks pretty hard, but his sudden change of heart still perplexes me.

Farmel- 6/10. Much as I've seen it before, I still like the archetype. I also enjoyed how, with her setup, she seemed like a fairly non-menacing XO for Lambda but then later you find out she's a goddamn wrecking ball.

Lambda- 5/10. High points and low points, man. Of course, he was also kind of right; WA4's world's infrastructure, as far as we've seen, has taken too severe damage to recover, so it probably IS the beginning of a long, slow slide down.

Hauser- 7/10.  This is a little long of an explanation.

I'm still not sure if Hauser is already dead at the start of the game, or if he dies some time during the course of the game, but I'm pretty sure that by the end of the game, he's dead. And rather than everyone else making an ARM out of nanomachines, the ARM itself is making a facsimile of Hauser's body from them.  That's why, before the last boss fight, his whole body just appears with that shiny shit that Jude makes his ARMs out of, and then he disappears right before deciding to, I dunnow, give Jude his memories or something.

So basically, at the end of the game, Hauser is nothing but a copy of a dude made by his memories that live inside his super-gun. Until I figured this out I didn't really think he made sense, but when I puzzled together that and the whole "if you get really mad, your ARM goes in to Omnicidal mode" thing, it all suddenly made sense.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2010, 12:40:32 AM »
Hauser- 7/10.  This is a little long of an explanation.

I'm still not sure if Hauser is already dead at the start of the game, or if he dies some time during the course of the game, but I'm pretty sure that by the end of the game, he's dead. And rather than everyone else making an ARM out of nanomachines, the ARM itself is making a facsimile of Hauser's body from them.  That's why, before the last boss fight, his whole body just appears with that shiny shit that Jude makes his ARMs out of, and then he disappears right before deciding to, I dunnow, give Jude his memories or something.

So basically, at the end of the game, Hauser is nothing but a copy of a dude made by his memories that live inside his super-gun. Until I figured this out I didn't really think he made sense, but when I puzzled together that and the whole "if you get really mad, your ARM goes in to Omnicidal mode" thing, it all suddenly made sense.

Okay, I'm not gonna complain about voting based on fan-wank, because I recall that I basically did the same thing for Margie in the last vote...

But even after reading the explanation, I seriously don't see how that fits together... The game doesn't make any alusions to ARMS themselves being sentient that I recall? Apart from just being responsive to emotions, which was apparently how they were designed in the first place, so that shouldn't lead to the conclusion that they are sentient?

Perhaps I'm just not remembering Hauser plot well, do you have any examples that you particularly remember here?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2010, 01:47:34 AM »
The ARM itself isn't sentient; that's not the read I got. He's a ghost in the system.

Like I said, the dude constructs his whole body in full in the exact same fashion (complete with the same fairy dust visual effect and same sound effect) that Jude makes a gun or whatever out of right in front of you. I don't know how else we are supposed to read that except "Hauser's body exists solely as an ARM at this point."

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2010, 09:26:57 PM »
Wild ARMs 4
Jude: 7/10. I don't particularly like Jude, but he doesn't annoy me either. He's decent enough and quite believable for a sheltered kid.
Yulie: 4/10. Characterless plot device for the first half. Second half is better, but she doesn't stand out enough.
Arnaud: 10/10. My favourite character by a long shot. He's funny, he grows, his own subplots work and he has great chemistry with Jude/Raq, and he has some of the best scenes in the game.
Raquel: 8/10. The relationship with Arnaud is great. Raq herself isn't too interesting, but her subplot is wrapped up pretty well and she doesn't end up being written as superhuman, which is good.
Kresnik: 2/10. DIVE OFF CLIFF, SHOW SIS YOU CARE. Otherwise more or less has a stick up his ass.
Ethelda: 6/10. +1 points for the Garra De Leon scene.

And now, more pro comments on villains:
Tony: WHY CAN'T I BEAT A BUNCH OF KIDS/10
Jeremy: Tool/10
Scythe: Plane'd/10
Belial: DROPS TANKS/10
Hugo: AMATEURS/10
Fiore: Exploding Loli/10
Asia: Explodes first/10
Balgaine: Chainsaw Rocketman/10
Enil: Loses to JOGURT/10
Augst: Bestest Comedian/10
Gawn: RICHARD/10
Farmel: Might as well not exist/10
Lambda: JUST AS PLANNED/10
Hauser: PUPPY RAGE/10
The Congressional Knights: "Use-Yulie's-brain-to-control the-world-mwahaha-what-do-you-mean-we-are-hypocrites-Lambda-you-are-silly"/10

BONUS!!! Mighty Morphing Power Rangers (first 3 seasons only) - do this later if I remember
Jason
Zack
Trini
Kimberly
Billy
Tommy

Zordon
Alpha-5
Bulk
Skull
Ernie

Rita
Goldar
Squat
Baboo
Finster
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:28:42 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »
Update coming on WEDNESDAY. 

Snoochies boochies
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2010, 10:25:12 PM »
Wild ARMs 4
Jude: 7/10
Yulie:  2/10
Arnaud: 9/10
Raquel: 9/10
Kresnik: 2/10 - Should have been curb stombed by Tony ever so much.
Ethelda (Jude's Mother) - 5/10 Her main point is dying. Still though its nice theres no bullshit and she just dies.

Tony: 8/10 - Best Tony ever.
Jeremy 5/10
Scythe: 3/10 - Didn't really care.
Belial: 6/10 - Was she blind? Also has power tattoos.
Hugo: 4/10 - Cool cutscene.
Fiore 3/10
Asia: 3/10 Heath needed to be alive damnit. He could have aided Brionec by stealing the female characters panties for his sniffing pleasure or something. Then again judging by the dolls Raquel might be a bit too old but yulie should be up his street.....then again....she could be too old. He likes those delicious lolis after all.
Balgaine 4/10 ANTI TANK CHAINSAW HAW HAW HAW!
Enil: 4/10 She seemed to be quite strong in the cutscene and then that all goes poof and she is suddenly a complete weaking, oh well who cares. Nice hat.
Augst: 9/10 - I like him and his saving of the children was nice. Had to sadly face him in black and white as the pal Version is retarded and Augst seems to have the effect of making the game stop working.
Gawn 10/10 - You guys be hating. Gawn Motherfucking punchs those missles, fuck yeah.
Farmel: 8/10 - Actually well handled I thought. As I pretty much always hate this type of character thats worth points.
Lambda: 3/10 - Chill dude, Chill. Extinction of the human race shouldn't be your next action plan after seeing how corrupt your boss is. He reminds me of the Wa1 villains oh so much. He has the world in his hands and he is a smart man with the worlds greatest minds and tech so why not use that to create a better world instead of getting a WOMD to destroy all humans?
Hauser: 5/10 - Horrible voice. I remember hearing it first in DW5 and then going WTF when I heard it here. Oddly his voice actually goes well here which I guess must mean I didn't hate his voice in DW but more his dialogue and exacution. Regardless the guy from 4 was much better and fitted the character a lot more so why they changed it was anyones guess. Oh yeah I'm meant to rate Hauser not his voice.... errrrr.... Good dude from the war who goes insane and thus thinks the best option is to commit Complete...Global...Saturation or something. I didn't really care too much.
The Congressional Knights: 4/10 - Aren't all their voice acters from DW? Pretty sure I heard quite a lot of familer voices. Only thing that stood out to me about them as they are dull and pointless as can be.

Jason, tommy and Kim are the only names I can put to faces so I won't bother.

Zordon: 1/10 - Giant Floaty head that I really know nothing about. Thinking about it I could just google it but honestly I just don't care.
Alpha: 1/10 - Irritating.
Bulk: 5/10
Skull: 5/10
Ernie: 1/10

Rita:10/10 - Whoever thought of getting her and Lord Z together was a genius.
Goldar: 7/10 - Got annoying how many times he shows up. Scorpina was I thought brought in to make it so he'd be fought less but after a while I noticed nothing had actually changed. Formula is to talk smack and put up a good fight with Scorpina/Motw/when a ranger is missing or cowardlly run away after a good hit on him
Squat:1/10
Baboo: 1/10
Finster: 2/10
Scorpina: 6/10 First in the line of female minions in power rangers. Unlike the ones that came after she has the good sense not to speak much and not to try to overthrow her boss/seduce the heroes. Besides that had a gold armor thing going on with Goldar and it was nice that she transformed into an ugly Scorpion thing too.
Lord Zedd: 10/10 - Is Lord Zedd thus totally awesome.
Rito ? Skeleton guy?
Master Vile ?

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2010, 04:04:20 AM »
Wild ARMs 4
Jude: 6/10 Works out okay.
Yulie: 3/10 Blech.
Arnaud: 10/10 Arnaud rules. He'd probably get an 8/10 or so even if he didn't a) grow up or b) have a likeable romantic subplot. He does both.
Raquel: 8/10 Well done, like Arnaud. She's just not as funny.
Kresnik: 4/10 I guess he was supposed to be cool, but it didn't really take.
Ethelda (Jude's Mother): 4/10 Didn't dislike her.

Tony: 5/10 I don't think I realized he was the obligatory Tony until his last fight.
Jeremy: 6/10 It's nice that he comes back.
Scythe: 5/10 Just some guy. Who gets hit by planes!
Belial: 5/10 Just some girl. Who creates pocket dimensions!
Hugo: 4/10 Just some guy with time powers or whatever.
Fiore: 1/10 Blech.
Asia: 1/10 Blech.
Balgaine: 5/10 Just some guy. With an anti-tank chainsaw!
Enil: 4/10 Just some girl with illusion powers.
Augst: 6/10 Just some guy. With bad jokes!
Gawn: 10/10 The comic relief is also a mentor figure, competent, capable of making the right decisions, and in the game's best scenes? Awesome.
Farmel: 3/10 Well, she switches off the missile defense system. I guess that's something.
Lambda: 4/10 He would have been higher if the game ended before he went nuts.
Hauser: 7/10 I always figured WA4 Hauser was Hauser's ARM with whatever was left of Hauser's memories and motivations, rather than an actual human being. (See: Rob the Stampede's earlier post.) That's why Lambda got a stiff penalty and Hauser didn't.
The Congressional Knights: 4/10 Just some suits of armor.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:22 AM »
Due to a very busy and long week and a very annoying Pittsburgh native, I'm withholding this update until Sunday - that should be a good day to do the updates as a standard from now on.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2010, 12:29:32 AM »
Wild ARMs 4 (10 votes)
Jude - 5.9
Yulie - 4.6
Arnaud - 8.35
Raquel - 7.7
Kresnik - 2.1
Ethelda (Jude's Mother) - 5.3

Tony - 5.9
Jeremy - 4.5
Scythe - 5.1
Belial - 5.6
Hugo - 4.9
Fiore - 1.9
Asia - 1.9
Balgaine - 4.3
Enil - 4.7
Augst - 7
Gawn - 5.1
Farmel - 3.9
Lambda - 4.8
Hauser - 3.1
The Congressional Knights - 5

Legend of Legaia (1 vote!!!)
Vahn - 3
Noa - 7
Gala - 5

Songi - 6
Cort - 5

BONUS!!! Mighty Morphing Power Rangers (first 3 seasons only) (5 votes)
Jason - 5.5
Zack - 5.5
Trini - 5
Kimberly - 5.4
Billy - 5.3
Tommy - 4.8
Rocky - 3
Adam - 7.3
Aisha - 2
Katherine - Not popular enough!

Zordon - 4
Alpha-5 - 2.2
Bulk - 7.3
Skull - 5.3
Ernie - 1.3

Rita - 7
Goldar - 5.4
Squat - 1.6
Baboo - 1.6
Finster - 3.6
Scorpina - 5
Lord Zedd - 7.6
[/b]Rito
Master Vile[/b] - Fail ;_;

Good

1) Gig: 9.5
2) Citan: 9.25
3) Lily: 8.85
4) Yuri (SH1): 8.79
5) Nanako: 8.56
6) Kanji: 8.40
7) Dojima: 8.36
8) Arnaud: 8.35
9) Yosuke: 8.20
10) Ramsus: 8.19

Bad

1) Goto: 1.00
2) Zemus/Zeromus: 1.11
3) Raven: 1.5
4) Alonso: 1.78
5) Kain(FF4): 1.89
6) Fiore: 1.9
7) Asia: 1.9
8) Alfina: 1.94
9) Gogo: 2.00
10) Exdeath: 2.07

Alright, more fun times ahead!  Get ready for...something!  I'm cutting down on a lot of characters from this point on to make counting easier (...well, cutting down on the characters that aren't as focal!), so feel free to add them!

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Maya
Ulala
Katsuya
Baofu
Tatsuya
Nate
Ellen

Guido
Ishigami Chizuru
Tatsuzou (Tatsuya Suzuo)
Tatsudou (Tatsuya Sudou)
Nyarlathotep

Legaia 2
Lang
Maya
Kazan
Sharon
Ayne

Bubba
Elliot
Marienne
Doplin
Velna
Rauss
Avalon

Bonus Round!!!  Les Miserables
Jean Valjean
Javert
Fantine
Cosette
Marius
Eponine
Enjorlas
Gavroche
Master Thenardier
...and his Wife

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2010, 09:10:22 AM »
A Legaia game where I remember the characters!

Legaia 2
Lang: 4.
Maya: 6. I overall liked with they did with her.
Kazan: 6. Ditto.
Sharon: 8.5. She was awesome. Right up my general alley character wise.
Ayne: 3.

Bubba: 2. At the end of the day, the amusing part of his character is his lost in the bestiality.
Elliot: 6. Mocking him was put to good use in game.
Marienne: 6. See above.
Doplin: 5. Eh..worked I suppose. Didn't work that well as an attempted manipulator
Velna: 5. Dunno. Felt...threatening enough, liked her final scene.
Rauss: 3. Well...I remember his plot and his battle form! Just...can't remember much of a character beyond involved with Kazan.
Avalon: 4. Uh...I like how he looked like a wolf? He has presence and obvious motivation, but unlike Cort (who if I ranked LoL, I would have given a decent score), he doesn't really feel very developed.
...into the nightfall.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2010, 11:00:36 PM »

Legaia 2
Lang: 5/10. Is a likable enough main I guess. Gets a lot of interaction.
Maya: 8/10. Piece of cake~ ^_^ What can I say? I'm a fanboy.
Kazan: 5/10. UOM.
Sharon: 7/10. I like her. She's a bit of a bitch.
Ayne: 4/10. Doesn't have enough screen time.

Bubba: 5/10. Furry, but funny.
Elliot: 3/10. I cringed.
Marienne: 1/10. I CRINGED.
Doplin: 2/10. EVULZ.
Velna: 4/10. At least she is hot.
Rauss: 2/10. Boring evil rival.
Avalon: 2/10. Boring generic villain.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
And with this vote, Legaia 2 has triple the caring of its predecessor! Accomplishment!

Legaia 2
Lang: 7/10. Lang is what silent mains should be replaced with in JRPGs. Having his personality defined by your choices works, and the one I stumbled onto without knowing the mechanics was personable and decently written. Yay.
Maya: 5/10. Too much time mute, wasn't fully satisfied by the explanation for it. Traumatic muteness happens but she isn't even remotely traumatised by the time you meet her. Still, she's likable enough.
Kazan: 4/10. Decent, I don't have too much to say about him. Negative point for silly cliched backstory with Rauss.
Sharon: 6/10. Reminds me of Faris, but they did a little more with her. For some reason I'm amused by the fact that she's super-tall since JRPGs seem to hate making very tall (human) women except like her and Ronnie Bell.
Ayne: 3/10. Is Kongol.

Bubba: 5/10. Bestality. Comes out of nowhere. Kinda funny. Also he becomes a BISHOP what the fuck. I approve of Legaia 2 for doing this with some of its villains, very MK2ish.
Elliot: 5/10. Incest. What the fuck. Game isn't half bad at making you feel sorry for him at the end, to boot.
Marienne: 5/10. As above, but with intentionally unsexy pantyshots thrown in for bonus awkward.
Doplin: 6/10. Found him effective as a total scumbag, biggest douche in the cast by quite a ways.
Velna: 5.5/10. I was going to give her an average score, but I figure she deserves a bonus half point for being a main female henchman with an honest-to-god, believable personal motivation for getting involved instead of "I love the main villain and believe in him and his vision forever <3" which plagues her type.
Rauss: 2/10. Only real sore spot of the supporting villain cast, his backstory with Kazan just didn't work.
Avalon: 3/10. I forget his motivation, which is weird since I totally remember both Velna's and Doplin's very well! Unlike theirs, though, I remember finding his unconvincing. Oh well. EDIT: Wait, I remember his motivation now, it just wasn't very good. Not bad enough to attract attention, but it kinda fell flat.

Like the game itself, tends to be respectable all-around with few standouts in either direction.

Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2010, 12:17:41 AM »
NEB: Maya was mute in part because she was frightened of her own voice. Her magic works by her voice, and she slaughtered her family unintentionally, hence muteness.

And cuteness.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2010, 12:37:11 AM »
Like I said, I wasn't really satisfied by that explanation. She should either be more visibly affected by their deaths still, or not mute. She also sorta went from "refuses to say a word" to "clearly enjoys talking" too suddenly. Maybe the whole thing can be justified psychologically and I'm not giving the writers enough credit, but it kinda rang hollow for me.

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2010, 07:09:02 AM »
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - This game needs more love, I suspect that it lacks most of it due to the majority of the English fanbase not getting Part one of this game.
Maya - 9 or 5.5 - Two scores. The first is based on both parts of Persona 2, the latter is if I'm only supposed to be judging on EP on its own merits. I personally have a hard time extricating the two since I played them back-to-back and in chronological order. I came into EP knowing exactly who Maya Amano was and her lack of speaking didn't hurt the story much at all. However, it -did- detract significantly from Maya's own development. While she was much more of the main character in Innocent Sin than Tatsuya was, she still manages as a mute to hold more presence than him in EP, so that says something for the creators doing the Silent Protagonist pretty well. She's also the only female Silent Protagonist I can think of (besides pick-your-gender silent-types). This makes her a pretty unique take on the trope overall, but I still hate the trope with a fiery passion. The actual events that unfold around (and because of her and Tatsuya's relationship) are quite fascinating, and the ending was the best sucker punch I could have hoped for. I openly wept.
Ulala - 7 - Great character, but a little one-note sometimes. When she was good, she was really good, but her flaws were pretty glaring too, and not in a likable or sympathic way, really.
Katsuya - 7 - Conversely, a very solid character with few flaws, but somewhat boring to me as a result.
Baofu - 8.5 - Dude is funny and reminds me why I sometimes find myself agreeing with people that RPG characters would be cooler if they focused on adults more often instead of cookie-cutter teenaged heroes. (I generally tend to think that proponents of this view are just old and can't enjoy a story that isn't about themselves, or are at least biased in that direction.)
Tatsuya - 6 - Despite my disdain for silent protagonists and (possibly worse) emo protagonists, Tatsuya manages to get my sympathy in both IS and EP. His choices have had a big impact on the world and he's basically living in his own personal hell for the sake of the world, and despite the complaining, I managed to respect his reasons and truly felt for him by the end of the story. The actual ending itself really highlighted the age difference between him and Maya and it was beautifully done.
Nate - 5 - Not bad, but he never really pulled me into his side story, even after I'd played P1 and IS.
Ellen - 7 - Conversely, Elly was hilarious every moment she was on-screen.

Guido - 6.5 - Did a good job of being threatening at first, but kind of faded out too soon for me.
Ishigami Chizuru - 4 - Weak point of the villain cast.
Tatsuzou (Tatsuya Suzuo) - 6
Tatsudou (Tatsuya Sudou) - 6
Nyarlathotep - 7 - Really good use of the "Darkness in all men's hearts" kind of villain. His duality with Philemon could have been explored more between the two games, but he's still generally great and a hateable bastard.

Legaia 2:
:(

Les Mis:
:'(

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2010, 07:50:01 AM »
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment- This is a game where I find it hard to separate what I've read about it and supplemental materials from what I remember of actually playing the damned game.  So realistically these scores are probably inflated.
Maya- 7/10.  I dunno, makes me smile.
Ulala- 7/10. 
Katsuya- 6/10.  Bit of a stiff, but used well.
Baofu- 6/10.  Baofu didn't really speak to me, although that could be because I don't think his snark came through very well.
Tatsuya- 5/10.  He really is just too much of a whiny punk.  That I can see what he's feeling offset this, but not entirely.
Nate- 6/10.
Ellen- Abstain.

Guido- 6/10
Ishigami Chizuru- Abstain.
Tatsuzou (Tatsuya Suzuo)- 3/10.  This is the father, right?
Tatsudou (Tatsuya Sudou)- 6/10.  I like his whole plot arc, honestly.
Nyarlathotep- 8/10.  Just threatening and stylish, while still conceptually awesome.

Legaia 2
Lang- 6/10.
Maya- 5/10.
Kazan- 6/10.
Sharon- 7/10.
Ayne- 4/10.

Bubba- 5/10.
Elliot- 5/10.  Douche, but fucked if I don't remember him.
Marienne- 5/10.  As above.
Doplin- 6/10. 
Velna- Abstain.  Didn't really get to see her big scenes.
Rauss- Abstain.  I really have trouble remembering who he is.
Avalon- 4/10.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2010, 07:56:56 AM »
Baofu - 8.5 - Dude is funny and reminds me why I sometimes find myself agreeing with people that RPG characters would be cooler if they focused on adults more often instead of cookie-cutter teenaged heroes. (I generally tend to think that proponents of this view are just old and can't enjoy a story that isn't about themselves, or are at least biased in that direction.)

How many good characters can you name that are both teenaged and act like anything that remotely feels teenaged?
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2010, 08:18:26 AM »

How many good characters can you name that are both teenaged and act like anything that remotely feels teenaged?

*rolls eyes* ...Persona games aside, how many video games are set in a time period similar enough to our own that the definition of 'acting teenaged' has any real relevance here?

The best part of this example is that the Persona games do a great job of creating characters who are worthwhile and act 'teenaged'.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:20:04 AM by DjinnAndTonic »