Author Topic: Nomic: TROTLR: Turn 8 (Bardikin)  (Read 20024 times)

Bardiche

Re: Nomic: TROTLR: Turn 8 (Bardikin)
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
Let's try this again, shall we?

308. Once per proposal, and only during the Discussion Phase, a non-eligible voter may apply to join the game by posting in this thread thusly: "I would like to join this game." Once such a non-eligible voter has applied then─if none of the eligible voters sends a PM to the game moderator in opposition of the proposal before the voting phase ends, at the moderator's discretion─the non-eligible voter applying to join the game will be added to the game roster and treated as an eligible voter after the Voting Phase has ended. This change is permanent and lasts for the remainder of the game, or until they are no longer an eligible voter, whichever applies first. Their turn to propose a rule will come up before the start of the next round, but after all existing eligible voters has had a turn to submit a proposal.

No non-eligible voter may apply twice to join the game, and only one application may be submitted during any given Discussion Phase.

Obviously the game is too quiet, and the remedy is to add clauses to add moar players.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:53:34 AM by Bardiche »

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2010, 04:26:03 AM »
Ha!

Ha ha, ha!

No.

(the solution is for people to engage in the game more, not bring in new people who didn't care enough to join when it started.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:48:55 AM by Carthrat »
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

n-factorial

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2010, 07:11:41 PM »
otoh if people want to join now due to freer schedule why the hell not? you narrow it down to "interest" which i find way too restrictive, illogical as such

i would support this, though i favor mob chaos over official player joining ala last game - but whatever works

Bardiche

« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2010, 07:27:31 PM »
Mob chaos isn't really conductive to making the game more active.

Other idea is to, of course, reward activity. Well, penalising inactivity is possible too, but honestly who of us would want to be penalised? Everyone loves positive encouragement!

Per the current rules, of course, people may post here already. I'd like to request if there are potential non-players interested in changing that status, that they make this known at this time so we know if this rule is worth it.

Hm, I think it'd be best to leave it be for now until that confirmation arises. Please do share your thoughts on permitting more players to join the game while I refine the rule to:

308. For each Legitimate Post made during the Discussion Phase, the posting player earns three (3) points, to be tallied and added at the end of the Voting Phase. A Legitimate Post is defined as any post that contributes to the discussion of the proposed rule or betterment of the game. Whether a post contributes to the discussion of the proposed rule, or adds to the game is to be determined at the discretion of the game moderator.

So no triple-posting nonsense for quick points, but this'll give people incentive to actually POST in this thread and, y'know, make it active. I'm quite willing to cap the amount if people feel it's too much, or lower the reward, but I think a good reward'll encourage more posting.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2010, 08:17:08 PM »
I like the player-adding, personally. Especially because I know that, just because someone isn't posting much, doesn't mean they don't have much to say, or are uninterested. Sometimes it is just difficult to be overly active. Or active at all. And sometimes, you get there just in time to find that someone else has voiced your concerns for you.

As such, I believe 3 points too much. 2 at the most, would prefer 1 (at least for now). Or make it more restrictive, like gaining points, on a point-for-point basis, based on how many points you bring up in a discussion.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

n-factorial

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2010, 09:00:18 PM »
understand motive to encourage posting, but conflicts with people that can't post on a consistent schedule (hi)

unsure how to suggest establishment of delineated method

in absence of better option would support reduction to +1/+2 over +3, though i do like concept

thinking

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 04, 2010, 02:29:07 AM »
Dislike rules like this, have trouble articulating why. If people aren't going to play the game in the first place I don't think incentives like this will actually work. On the principal of the thing I also believe this is something we should be doing anyway without them. It bugs me too much to vote for.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 04, 2010, 08:04:22 AM »
This rule reads to me like something along the lines of wanting Tai to end the game by virtue of not only making him adjudicate every post made in topic, but also encouraging more posting as part of it.  Not to mention, it feels like it encourages worthless posting.  Sure, the goal is to avoid the spam, but that just means that the way to win is to get semi-legit spam in the hopes that some of it will get through.  Bonus points for tangents that actually add nothing to the debate, but sound really useful if you don't notice yourself following them down the rabbit hole.

Even without that, this rule also sounds like it wants to negate the largest advantage this game has over Mafia.  Namely, mass posting semi-coherant maybe useful arguments is not considered good play.  Make it a path to victory, and suddenly it is good play, and you may, or may not, be required to read them in order to stay on that path to victory.  Given that my schedule is fairly busy between work and reawakening social life, I have no interest in making this game Mafia Lite.

Also generally against letting new people in.  We tried new players and the mob last time, let's do something new this time.

n-factorial

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2010, 02:27:15 AM »
fucking arsetwat why the damned hells do the forums keep going down during early morning

anyway. excal raises good point, this puts a lot of stress on mod in what should generally be hands-off mod game

iunno how to construct rule that does encourage posting w/o any such burden

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »
Hey, I propose we move on to voting phase or something, dudes. It's been about... 3-4 times as long as a normal discussion phase, nothing has happened.

[/activity poke]
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Taishyr

« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2010, 01:33:56 AM »
Yes, it should be voting phase. Send votes in. Rule proposed is

308. For each Legitimate Post made during the Discussion Phase, the posting player earns three (3) points, to be tallied and added at the end of the Voting Phase. A Legitimate Post is defined as any post that contributes to the discussion of the proposed rule or betterment of the game. Whether a post contributes to the discussion of the proposed rule, or adds to the game is to be determined at the discretion of the game moderator.

This being said I am partially annoyed since you guys can, you know, initiate the voting phase yourselves. I've said this before. If the game doesn't have the interest pushing it that's cool, but sitting on your own hands while you -are- interested is bloody annoying.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »
I would like to spontaneously forfeit this game. Just not doing it for me.

Taishyr

« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2010, 01:54:42 AM »
The proposal FAILED!

Excal, Tonfa, Mage voted Nay
Bardiche voted Aye
Rat and n! were absent

Rat attempted to LEGISLATIVE MANEUVER Tonfa!

[20:52] > roll 1d6+5 Rat
[20:52] * +Hatbot --> "Taishyr rolls 1d6+5 Rat and gets 7." [1d6=2]
[20:52] > roll 1d6+5 Tonfa
[20:52] * +Hatbot --> "Taishyr rolls 1d6+5 Tonfa and gets 8." [1d6=3]

Rat is currently under INJUNCTION!

It is now Mage's turn. Please propose a rule, your number is 309.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2010, 02:35:47 AM »
I would like to spontaneously forfeit this game. Just not doing it for me.

Taishyr

« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2010, 03:06:12 AM »
Right okay. Duly noted.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2010, 03:22:08 AM »
I propose Rule #309: Every passed Rule gives points to the proposer equal to 200-c, where c is the player's current number of points. If passed, this rule shall apply to its own scoring.
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Bardiche

« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2010, 06:02:26 AM »
HahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahNO

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »
Y'know, as much as some of us say you need to be subtle and clever, if you want to try and pass a rule that's pretty obviously I Win, then for Gawd's sake, just say "If you pass this, I win."

As it stands, I'll be voting no.  But, I'd be willing to vote for a Game ends on a draw measure.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2010, 08:42:32 AM »
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »
I would've gone for a "I win" proposal, but it conflicts with a currently immutable rule, which means I'd need 3 proposals to go through to win it.
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

n-factorial

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 14, 2010, 02:29:12 AM »
i would vote for a draw game or a "199-c" proposal

this however is silly, will pass.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 14, 2010, 06:36:32 AM »
Alright, well, I'm willing to go 199-c or that everyone with positive points wins, and in the case of a draw, everyone wins. Which would you guys prefer?
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2010, 08:10:37 AM »
Meh, just set everyone to 200 and call it a day.

Also, an example of stating I win as I win is "X gets 200 points" or whatever the victory condition is.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2010, 03:57:05 PM »
Ok.

Rule #309: Every player who is currently playing the game will have their point total set immediately to 200, with no tiebreaks. Every player who achieves the victory condition in this way shall be a true and righteous winner. And shall get a cookie.
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Bardiche

« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2010, 07:55:01 PM »
Remove the cookie passage and I might vote in favour.