Author Topic: Tsundere Mafia - Game Over  (Read 30619 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Tsundere Mafia - Game Over
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »
I was like 1000% sure that Li was Bard. Oh well! Good game Bardy!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
Add 1 to the "Thought Li was Bard" party here, though I did revise that to Rou midway through the game after Rou mentioned in IRC that he was playing mafia. They both have this kind of earnest clumsiness about them when playing this game.

I am forced to wonder who the people guessing at Tron thought I was.

Tanaka was pretty clear to me by the end. Should've gone for him day 4, but I was equally sure on Helga and that was obviously the case I'd get agreement on. Would've been hard to go after Rat after I'd spent all that time knocking Helga's case on her (Helga made too many points I disagreed with to acknowledge the good ones); nagging suspicion that I should pay more attention to her was there, but I would've had to turn my own opinion around before I could even start on Li's, so.

Xanth, man, what was with the massive excavation project there? Seriously, you got that much from day one? I actually was pretty annoyed about that, especially on day one. Didn't know the character outside of some YouTube videos I'd looked up beforehand, was fiddling around to try and sort out how to talk and got slammed for it. Drained a lot of the fun out of things to get hit for that.

LAL is useful as long as town doesn't lurk, alas. But I think the real lesson to be learned here is that town Rat never lives to LYLO, right guys?

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »
Heh, I just noticed another nice move on Scum's part in LYLO.

When Cid brings up the idea of looking at someone besides Rat and Soppy, specifically, his scum buddy, the guy lays down a vote, forcing the issue between him and Soppy, instead of letting people think about Tanaka and possibly decide that would be worth going for.

Kinda fit with the pattern of ending the days when things look like they might go against scum, without ever really getting called out on it.  (ie. the one person who did was pretty soundly ignored)

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »
Be fair, as sure as I was I took the fact that absolutely no one else was buying into it as a sign that I needed to be elsewhere even if I was right, was on Mai by the end of the day and would have been on him and Tanaka on day three had I lived (well, had I lived maybe Tanaka would have played differently).

Your day one actions were clear cut scum, what can I say. Very little to do with the roleplaying, and I imagine was as little fun for me as it was for you. Guess it's just something I have to factor into future play, given that you weren't. Live and learn and all that.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
Two people also swung and missed at Helga.

Oooo. Who and who did they think I was?

Also, re: Leia trolling town. The lesson to be learned here that trolling town only wins you the game when you're scum~

The game, if nothing else, teaches me yet again that I must TAKE THE SHOT. A vote on Mai before she voted me might have helped a lot. I meant to make the post I made at the start of Day 4 at the end of Day 3, but balked because I was emo about the overwhelming dread of trying to assault LAL.

LAL is a good strategy and I'm sad that some people are probably going to walk away from this game thinking it's not, but don't swallow the scum Kool-aid.  Any strategy is bad when it comes at the expense of rational thought.

I'm going to highlight this because it actually fits in well with the SAT prep course I'm teaching right now, and I had been thinking about it throughout the game as people kept buying into blind LAL (and the ones that didn't and decided to look at Rat instead died!).

One of the primary introductory points of this SAT Prep course concerns calculator use. The book we use says that a calculator is a very valuable tool, but it should never ever ever be used as a replacement for thinking. Both standard and graphing calculators have faults: standard calculators don't PEMDAS at all, graphing calculators PEMDAS more than the user expects (-4^2 = -16 being the most obvious example), and neither are much of any good working with fractions. The calculator is there to help you on the test, not take the test for you. Just as in the rest of high school, "the calculator told me so" is not a valid reason for why an answer is correct.

The same thing applies here. LAL is a very useful tool, and if used properly it will force scum to be on their toes if not catch them outright. What LAL is not is an excuse not to try. You still need to think for yourself. LAL is a tool to help build a case, it isn't a case in and of itself. The entire approach to the Rin wagon is pretty much an excellent example of this in action, and Rat really should have been hounded for that quick hammer because there was zero reason to not wait at least a little bit to see if she'd poke her head in again.

Second/third/fourthing this.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »
Sopko: Yeah, actually. The jig would've been up once scumhammer didn't materialize--although whether Li or I would've been patient enough to wait and verify that is questionable. Probably not. After a couple long days of too many people not saying enough, I was pretty much in the mindset of let's end this game already one way or another.

Xanth: It was me being annoyed, you reading irritation as evasiveness, and a feedback loop kicking in. I really should've started ignoring you earlier than I did, but the conviction you held in a day one case is still pretty baffling to me.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »
Xanth and Snowfire were the Helga misses, DjinnAndTonic and Joe Rambo were the Tron misses.

(The person that guess Djinn had good reason to suspect he was playing, though.)

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2010, 12:32:49 AM »
Xanth and Snowfire were the Helga misses, DjinnAndTonic and Joe Rambo were the Tron misses.

(The person that guess Djinn had good reason to suspect he was playing, though.)

Djinn as Tron is the absolute last connection I'd ever make there. -So- doesn't fit the person. Not that I guessed any. >_>
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2010, 12:35:44 AM »
Good game I guess, more annoyed at myself then anything for not paying enough attention after the extended deadline, managed to get a good post written only to finish it like a minute after I got hammered <.<.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2010, 12:38:46 AM »
I know I definately had to fight the urge to think of Djinn as playing Chiaki.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2010, 01:06:38 AM »
Hah. I was wondering if anyone would guess Snow based on avatar association alone.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2010, 01:31:16 AM »
I guessed Snow because he's Snow or something. I got Alex and Excal and Xanth right.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2010, 02:39:58 AM »
Shoulda stuck to my guns (Xanth was obvious, Excal I was less sure on but still correct).  Leia read as extreme Ciato at first, and later did, but I guessed Zenny anyway off of semi-meta thoughts that ended up totally wrong.  Those were the only two who could have played Leia though.  The defeatism was bad play, no doubt, but I did agree with the points that Leia made.  I also jokingly guessed myself for who was playing Li, as Roukanken really wrote like me in some of the anon games I've been in (though, like everyone else, Bardiche was my ultimate guess).  This is interesting as in DL Mafia Roukanken and I ended up with wildly different and clashing styles, though obviously some of that ended up being intentional separation later.

As for scum, I wasn't sure of much aside from Li Syaron reading as very town to me, and Houlihan / Helga reading as lightly town.  Rat's actions on Day 3 convinced me he was scum, though I can't be entirely sure of my scumdar there (I've thought Rat was scum in most games he's been in, even when he's not.) - definitely would have been on Helga's side for the final day.  I thought she was notably better than Yon Average Lurker and was kind of surprised that everyone suddenly switched to "Why did we think Rat was guilty?  Let's kill Helga instead."  Since this was pretty much the entire game, I had no ideas about who the other scum could have been.  Nice play to Alex/Tanaka, he definitely seemed towny enough without either scumbussing or raising suspicions about why he wasn't killed yet.

Though it was pretty brief, I got warm fuzzy town feelings from Asuka as well (by Day 1 standards), and actually guessed Alex was playing her.  It'd have been a good cop-lurk if there hadn't been so much other lurking.

I was amused by what roleplaying there was, even the parts that were just turns of phrase a la Houlihan.  Though Xanth pretty much dropped the RPing early, I will compliment his eye on screencaps - those images were well-picked for amusment / weirdness.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
The Day 1 call was made on Tatl because Yoshi had not logged into the DL in 5 days. Sorry, buddy. :<

No worries. Real life stuff came up, so wasn't really able to be around. Probably would've been equally lurkery.

...Wouldn't have blindly followed LAL either, but neither did my replacement, so yeah!

Repeating what everyone else said about Town giving up and just blindly following. Really damn surprised to see the DL making the same mistakes the other site I play on are making, since the players here are a lot better. =/  LAL is fine when it's active lurking, but when it's just plain not doing anything? That deserves a poke, maybe, but definitely not an instant lynch.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2010, 11:00:34 AM »
Oh, I meant to ask: what's that song Ciato/Leia quoted?

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2010, 11:06:17 AM »

Though Xanth pretty much dropped the RPing early, I will compliment his eye on screencaps - those images were well-picked for amusment / weirdness.

Oh man, you have no idea. That's like my top reason for why I was disappointed with the low activity in this game. I'd made so many screenshots and was ready for 20+ posts a day, as the main reason I chose Maya (I was actually trying to avoid overly bitchy characters, as hard as that may be given the theme) was because Occult Academy is a goldmine for reaction faces, if not actually a good series. I'd even deliberately started out by not going into my favourites, a small selection of which I showcase above, for more cunning use later on that never happened. The inactivity was also why I never felt inclined to actually get into roleplaying at all, but frankly the only real difference you would have seen was some flavour-specific language, as Maya's a super-aggressive bitchy type (<3), so not far off the mark.

Oh, and yeah, I've pretty much stopped trying to hide my identity in anonymous games, between time zones and the amount of extra effort it takes to try and post in a different style.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2010, 05:54:21 PM »
Oh, I meant to ask: what's that song Ciato/Leia quoted?

Watching Evil Empires Fall Apart. It's an Electric Six song.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2010, 06:38:28 PM »
Followed up by quoting my favorite character from Mistborn (if I had added the line afterwards, which is "Like my fondness for reading books at the dinner table." it may have been more identifiable >_>)

I was not even attempting to hide my identity. :)