Register

Author Topic: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)  (Read 257990 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: Playin' any games today, Flying Nun? (WGAYP - 2011 Edition)
« Reply #550 on: February 24, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »
You've never heard someone say "freaking?"

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 24, 2011, 02:46:18 PM »
I'm sure he would prefer the more formal "getting their freak on."
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Bardiche

« Reply #552 on: February 24, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »
Started Radiant Historia, too.

Oh god, replayable bosses. Oh god, 2HKO on the very first boss you encounter. So far haven't seen much use from Guard Up actually affecting damage much, but maybe that'll come later... fun little game so far.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 24, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
Donkey Kong Country Returns: Actually started playing this about a week ago, midway through the Beach. Very reminiscent of the original DKCs, and one of the few Wii games I've played that I can say the motion controls aren't an irritant... yet.

Red Dead Redemption: Continuing my quest for Level 50 in multiplayer, up to 48 now. I finally found something that I'm good at in this game - horse racing.

Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions: Cleared Act 2.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 24, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »

If I hadn't, I wouldn't have minded because it wouldn't be a losery thing to say. Any half way passable translation would just make up a cuss word in place of using the lamest one they could think of.
...into the nightfall.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 24, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
POKEMANS - So fuck Mt Coronet at the end game, that shit is way to long with no good way to get out and come back.  I should have used Repels much sooner in that dungeon than I did.  Also have enough masterballs to just lob them at legendaries, so whatevs, got a Quiet Giratina that can stay in a box.  Went to get Mesprit and then it fucked off and the game told me off for not having a map marking app for my iPokeDS.  So I went and got that, okay it is useless and I have no idea where Mesprit has gone.  Yeah fuck you game.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #556 on: February 25, 2011, 07:27:30 AM »

If I hadn't, I wouldn't have minded because it wouldn't be a losery thing to say. Any half way passable translation would just make up a cuss word in place of using the lamest one they could think of.

They say it all the time in Dinosaur Comics.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 25, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »
Fallout NV Dead Money: This came out without me knowing so I got and finished it. I quite enjoyed it even if it was so repetitive because it had some of the best character development in the game.
Sadly I couldn't save the women as I dealt with her before confronting the slimeball. Left the BOS guy to rot in the vault with his gold.

Then I get the bright idea of finally plating the game as I only need 2 trophies for it (Food one and break the bank). I leave and encounter some dudes////////////Freeze//////////. Okay lets go to the north gate of westside to buy some food. Next to the west gate//////////Freeze////////..............Goes in shop and buys food and then leaves///////////Freeze/////////............Fucking game.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 25, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »

Or "freaking" is typically the way you censor the f-word, and get the same point across without using it.  Not every game needs to swear a lot to have a good translation, and some like to keep their ESRB ratings down.  And wouldn't you know it, some people in REAL LIFE say "freaking" to avoid saying the F word in public.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 25, 2011, 05:15:44 PM »
Grandia LLG. My memory may be off on some of the party level notes, fever is a bitch.

Milda (Justin 17, Feena 16): HPs are somewhere slighly over 100 here. Milda's physicals hit for 20x2 or so, Drop Kick is a bit of a joke, and Milda Hit hits for 85(!). I assume she can use Splitter but I never saw it. Diggin' up while you can in between the healing, reducing Milda Hit to a much more sane ~50 damage. Defend when you see an incoming attack on a PC. Beat on her when no defensive action is needed. Not hard, just takes a while.

Gaia Battler (Justin 18, Feena 17, Rapp 20, Milda 35): Central part can use POIZN gas for mighty 1-8 damage to an AoE around it. And Poizn, but I never saw it connect. More importantly it has Lightning for 40-50 damage to all, a solid 3HKO to all but Milda. Right Arm is weak to physicals and near-immune to magic and does some scrubby arm flail attacks for bad damage. Left Arm is the same as right, just reversed. Central part has 2500ish HP and arms 1000 less. I first concentrate on taking out right arm, then left, then the main body while easily keeping myself healed post-Diggin'.

At this point I ninja loot the three optional dungeons. This results my gear ranging from storebought in Dight to best axe in the game.

Gaia Battler 2 (Justin 19, Feena 18, Rapp 21, Milda 35): Each part has 1000 more HP here, but the offensive boost nicely negates that. POIZN gas tinks entirely most of the time this time but on the other hand I see Justin get POIZNed twice (easily taken care of with Cure). Lightning does 50-60 damage, inching into 2HKO territory on Feena. Right Arm can cast GrandHealer for 300 healing to all parts, woo. Left Arm's physicals have a chance to cause sleep. Same as before, just ever so slightly more threatening (not very).

Milda leaves.

Level 36
270HP 78SP
0/0/0 MP
119STR 51VIT 56WIT 48AGI
Sword L20 Mace L30 Axe L30

Gadwin remix, in a part where she's no longer god. Just very good at being a beatstick that is almost immortal.

Ruin Guard (Justin 20, Feena 19, Rapp 21, Guido 24): PCs have 130-140 HP. Including Guido. Damn your stats suck Guido. The main body spams Zap! for 50 AoE damage, occasionally taking a break to Healer one part for...100. *golf clap* Axe spams physicals for 30ish AoE damage, barely damaging past Diggin'. Boomerang is absurdly fast but the only thing it can do is cast Boomerang for like 10 damage to one. Ruin Guard has 4500HPs, the parts 2500 each. Honestly this is just a worse version of Gaia Battler. I do get some key skills here - Justin learns Midair Cut, Feena learns Alhealer, Rapp learns Burnflare, and Guido is using his mace-Sue level bad Sword physicals to learn Power Up, which is a nice buff on paper but doesn't get used in the next boss fight anyway. Oh Guido.

NANA SAKI MIO (Justin 21, Rapp 22, Guido 24) (2 resets): No Feena here, le sigh. I get utterly murdered the first time in. I learn three things from this: 1. Defensive play is not going to work here, they get way too many turns if you try to buff up. Many of those turns are used on debuffs 2. I really could use a storebought armor upgrade and some of those full status immunity accessories from Zil Padon. 3. Grandia designers are dicks for putting a disproportionately difficult fight in a point of no return area.

For those keeping track this is the third time in the game I buy gear.

Two hours later...

Okay so. Saki has 5000 HP, buffs herself with Speedy and WOW! and has Boom! for 40 AoE damage and various physicals, including the horrifying Max Lariat for 70. Nana has 4000 HP, a variety of status spells including Shhh! (now useless in the face of my Ribbons Talismans), Zap! for 50 AoE damage and some yo-yo attacks for either bad damage to a wide range or 30ish damage to cone area. Mio has 3000 HP, Stun Gun for 40 damage+Paralyze, Super Balloon for unpredictable AoE Poizn+Sleep, debuff spells like Cold, Freeze and Stram, and Alhealer+ for 200 HP restored to all sergeants. Worst of all, when all three sergeants are alive they can use Trinity Attack for ~60 damage to a very wide area on any of their turns. Yes, it doesn't consume all three of their turns. I have no idea what the activation trigger is, they always use it on the first turn though. I assume it's not at-will because they don't use it that much.

So as you can see status blocking is absolutely mandatory here. They still get an insane amount of turns if you let them with all of their AoE nonsense, so the only proper plan here is to blitz Mio. So I do MT stuff for turn denial and Alheal with Justin when necessary. This ends up in me getting caught with two Trinity Attacks in a row just a bit before Mio dies which is death.

Third try. Alheal is not good enough to waste turns on, it's time to bring out the consumables. Guido uses Mogay Bomb twice for good AoE turn denial, then acts as item boy to restore the party's HP/SP whenever they're even slightly depleted. He also has Bond of Trust to pass his turn to either Rapp or Justin when appropriate. I try his boomerang physical when I get the chance and shock of shocks - it's actually competent. Three shots that are accurate, fast, do decent damage and tie up a target for a good while. Mogayshot is also not bad for ST damage. Note to self, never use melee Guido again. Justin uses Shockwave, Burnflame and Midair Cut as appropriate for maximum damage/turn denial ratio. Rapp does the same with Discutter, Doppelgang, Burnflare and Burnflame. I get lucky with Trinity Attack, they only use it once at a start. I do manage to bring down Mio soon enough, which makes the rest of the battle fairly easy and I can do the rest without further consumable use. Once Nana goes down Saki just doesn't get the turns when locked down even with her +4 speed modifier - so I use her for skill training some wimpy attacks. Ah, vindication.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 25, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »
Suikoden Tierkreis.  ...what the hell does "Tierkreis" even mean?  Whatever, ignoring that, I started this game, shit happened, now I have a big fat nerdy guy with an axe in my party. 

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2: Beat the boss who has a friend named Randall.  Yes, that detail is exceedingly important.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 25, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
SPOILER FOR TACTICS OGRE

Tactics Ogre: PSP

Uhm, is Catiua's Princess job supposed to be some sort of joke class?

Cause right now she is up to my parties max level give or take and she still blows.

But that is because her equipment and skills don't allow her to do anything good in a party. Cept heal from back row, with less heals spells to pick from.  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:02:08 PM by Ciato »
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 25, 2011, 09:01:35 PM »
I think she has area of effect magic?

Also, please no spoiling the game I am trying to convince someone to play it >_>;;
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Bardiche

« Reply #563 on: February 25, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »
Suikoden Tierkreis.  ...what the hell does "Tierkreis" even mean?

The Tierkreis are the zodiac in German. So Suikoden: Zodiac in English.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 26, 2011, 01:36:34 AM »
so they have a Japanese word with a German subtitle?  That's just silly! ...but also pretty typical for Video Game titles.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #565 on: February 26, 2011, 02:39:33 AM »
Pokemon HG: 7 Gym badges! It took one sitting to go from 4 badges to 7, so Meeple was spot-on there about them not scaling up for a while.

I'm mildly annoyed at the gratuitous romaji of Sudowoodo. Seriously, the Japanese gave you English localizers an awesome Pokemon name "Pseudowood", and you felt the need to katakana-ize it into something that unwieldy? It's not even proper romaji, it's just a mess.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 26, 2011, 03:14:24 AM »
POKEMANS - So I have officially gone on a Legendary binge, last dime I caught Giratina, this time I grabbed the awesome Mesprit, Azelf, Wingull and Uxie.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 26, 2011, 03:55:46 AM »
The Prinecss class is only a 1/3 of the original. Princess is now divided into High Priest, Dark Priest, and Princess.
This was done to make Lord stand out, as now Lord has become omni magic potent class this time.

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 26, 2011, 05:04:44 AM »
Instead of lurking all the time, I'll post... some of the time.

Just a warning - I ramble on a bit, and my sentence almost certainly aren't grammatically correct. There might be some spoilers in here, if you care, I tried to avoid them though.

I recently completed Arc Rise Fantasia. I'll do a quick overview of what I thought.

The best part of the game, in my opinion, was the battle system. But only during boss fights. During almost all Random Battles, I just hit the autobattle  button and healed afterwards. There were parts of it that seemed pretty deep. Both you and the enemy can give all of your turns to one person if you would like, but you can see what the enemy is going to do before you input your actions. So, if you notice that one enemy is going to take all the turns, you can focus on him and kill him before he does much, and then the enemy won't get any more attacks that turn.

Still, Randoms were mostly mindless. Boss fights were good! Some of the later ones required a couple of retries after learning what to do and what worked and what didn't. Sometimes they went on a bit long - I had a boss fight near the end of the game that went on for nearly an hour, if I died before killing him I wouldn't have gone back to the game for a couple days.

I did some sidequests, but not all of them. I did unlock almost all of the weapon secrets, though. I liked the weapon system, but it seemed deeper at first then it actually was. You just didn't have enough room to experiment with some of the cooler pieces, and I, personally, just stuck with basic ones like HP+. Other good ones I used a lot included Item Boost and Nullify Arm Force. I didn't even touch the white pieces - there might have been some good ones in there, but nothing jumped out at me as amazing.

Weapons themselves were also strange. You get one of the best weapons for L'arc, the Zweihander, fairly early in the game. I maxed out almost every weapon I got after that, but nothing seemed to compare. I did eventually change to the Fragarach just for the sake of changing, it was about as good, and gotten near the end of the game. Odd.

Magic was strange - It was effective in battle, but only if you loaded up your characters with the same elements. In a system that lets you pick your
characters magic from four elements, you would think that splitting up the elements between the characters would be the best option, but that's actually the worst choice - you want to make multiple party members cast the same spells to vastly increase their power.

The story was decent. It dragged a bit at times, but it was enough to make me curious as to what would happen next. Ending seemed a bit abrupt and I can see people not liking it, it did kind of come out of nowhere.

Voice Acting was hit and miss. Some voices were just bad. Sometimes the voices were good, but the emotion put into it was bad. Still, I was expecting a lot worse. I've sat through a lot worse (Baten Kaitos).

Final team was L'arc/Serge/Cecille. L'arc did lots of damage. Serge took annoying randoms with his AOE Excel Art. Cecille could contribute with AOE damage,  or buff the party with elemental resists. Probably the worst member of the team, but still solid.

Overall I liked the game. There were problems, but I've enjoyed playing far worse games (and recently). I did finish it in just a couple of weeks.

I've also beaten Super Robot Taisen J and Golden Sun DS fairly recently, I'll post about them sometime later.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 26, 2011, 06:08:17 AM »
so they have a Japanese word with a German subtitle?  That's just silly!

Yeah!  Don't they know the only language they're allowed to bastardize is English?!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: February 26, 2011, 06:20:53 AM »
It wasn't called Tierkreis in Japan though, so it does stick out as a little odd, not that I object.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 26, 2011, 06:27:40 AM »
Uhh, it is called Tierkreis in Japan.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 26, 2011, 06:53:45 AM »
It is?  My bad, must have been mixing up info from Suikosource.   Sorry about that.

Edit - Tried finding old news posts, they are long dead, could have sworn when it was announced they were referring to it as something else, may have been a translated tagline?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 26, 2011, 07:31:37 AM »
I should actually talk about games, since I think I've beaten three since the last time I posted here.

Mega Man X5 - Beat this. Played as Zero because X seemed quite unimpressive without secret-hunting (bleh) or using the super-armour the game hands you at the start (bleh!) so screw that, hit things with swords. Opposite impression of X4 funnily enough! Anyway this game is quite disappointing. Still quite playable, there's only so badly you can screw up Mega Man... but this game is pretty close to the MM7 tier of quality. It's not that it's an uninspired entry, it just feels so... hollow, despite the efforts to be different. Vapid dialogue (for series standards), poor polish, lives being utterly meaningless (continues do exactly the same thing as losing a life near as I can tell?), evidence that little effort went into balance, generally primitive graphics and poor sound quality. It feels like a game that is far older than it is, and I definitely don't mean that in a good way.

Stage design is generally fine, better than SNES MMXs even (which really kinda fail it up there). Bosses... what the fuck is up with the mavericks? I mean seriously, it seemed like every one of them I would make a lot of mistakes against and then win anyway because they are easy to just trade hits with and outslug. This is not Mega Man! Sigma stage bosses were another matter, much better. Black Devil is unshockingly the hardest boss in the game. Sigma rarely disappoints utterly, and yeah, I thought his first form was quite solid to face as Zero (don't think X would find him hard), giving me the second most resets of anything in the game easily (3HKO shockwave attacks are eeevil) despite the bad durability. Then the second form comes along and only takes me a few tries, which considering it's me and MMX this is very bad (only Kaiser Sigma rates as worse to me). Actually, the whole fight reminds me of X3; good first form then the ball dropped a bit on the second.

Devil May Cry - Hard Mode done! Excellent game, far better than X5 that's for sure. <_< The boss fights in this game are really just something else, and HM only makes them moreso. Brutal, to be sure, but still pretty much the best boss fights in like... all video games ever. Replay gave me new appreciation for when to use each gun in general; do wish there was a faster way between them but it's not the end of the world. Mook fights are quite solid especially those badass minibosses. Man, I love shadows. And hate them so much at the same time. Opinion of the game is up some, which considering it was pretty high already is quite impressive.

Fire Emblem 8 HM Eirika - Second time I played this. Blah blah unit info more for my memory's sake than anyone's actual interest:

Eirika 110 - MVP post-promotion and very good throughout. Very blessed on strength, the Seth support is stupid.
Seth 94 - Well y'know. Godly until the last three maps pretty much where he's pretty much a support bot, but that's fine; the Eirika support is stupid.
Tana 93 - Flies and kills everything.
Amelia 89 - I wanted to try using her without the tower; it's quite doable though a little tricky. Interesting enough, not objectively worth it but I pretty much knew that. Likely has the best lategame of the paladins but it's not by enough given how bad the midgame is.
Cormag 64 - Flyers are always good. Never used him on Eirika's route before, he's quite a ways behind the pegs there (mostly lacks the godly evade, though the prepromotion speed is also an issue but yeah, you really can't go wrong with a flyer, and he has good str and def at least.
Neimi 64 (died in C18) - Bad start, gets good. Died due to my negligence in C18 which isn't even a hard map, probably should have reset but screw it.
Ephraim 63 - Owns faces.
Colm 61 - Took a nosedive after losing Neimi, but still good due to that level lead.
Gerik 61 - I feel better not having axes rot in my inventory. Solid sword dude anyhow.
Innes 36 - Very solid at first, quite bad by the end, no real shocks here.
Saleh 32 - As above, except he has staves so he can transition into a support role.
Franz 32 - Wasn't getting the best stats (he really needs speed or he's just meh) but wasn't THAT RNG-screwed or anything, and is still probably the third best unit in the earlygame (well, fourth once Josh joins) except on maps where flight is awesome.
Joshua 25 (died at C11) - Good stuff, but not worth resetting over. Actually I pretty much only reset either when multiple people died or a flyer (besides Vanessa) since I didn't want to lose TWO flyers, they're too important.
Forde 21 - Good class, mediocre stats, same as always.
Artur 19 - Earlygame filler, works well enough.
Natasha 12 - Healers as always have trouble getting levels, Bishop at least lets her do decently against monsters though.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I am also playing Super Mario Galaxy 2. The game seems to fall into that "Mario sequel" trap that SMW and NSMBW do to me (and SMBLL but that's much worse) in that it seems far too content to coast on what the previous game in the series did and I don't think Mario works too well that way. I liked Galaxy, and this game is objectively good too, but part of me just feels like I'm going through the motions doing more of the same. I don't want to be too hard on the game, because there have been a few very solid levels in there; the game is far from just mailed in despite my above feelings.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:34:24 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 26, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »
Tactics Ogre:

Possible Spoilers I guess!

Ok, so I beat the game. I didn't get the no Chariot title because I played around with it right at like the first battle or something. >_>

Anyways, beat the game. I went Law path this time, did not get the Lord class on that run. Denam was an Archer, as was Vyse in Ranger form and Canopus was using Crossbows since he was maxed in Bows. Oh yeah, Aloser and Lindl (what a dumb name) were there too. The 5 of them wreaked havoc on teams. The other people in my team usually were the White Knights, two of the four sisters and the blind guy who isn't nearly as good as he used to be. If 12 people are needed I usually bring jobs that are underleveled and they sit in a corner.

But Catiua not being able to use Bows anymore is a pain. Her equipment selection is horrible.

~

Then I went and played around with the Wolrd system and collected some things I skipped in the first go around. I picked up Ozma and just got the Lord class. I got th first Diego scene all taken care of, but I still can't seem to trigger any other part of that event. I collected all the orbs I need for Deneb as well. The hire option is available in her shops, but I don't have any glass pumpkins.

I also went back and picked the Chaos path in that one scene at the beginning of the game. Seems ravness is only recruitable in the Law path as well. Killed her ass on accident first time through, whoops!

What else... oh yeah, I wish some of these archers would drop some better bows for my team. I am stuck with everyone rocking a Siege Bow...I really should get the +1 now that I think about it.

Characters are around level 26 right now. Still tons left for me to do! LOVE IT!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:51:58 PM by Scar »
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion