Author Topic: Game Design Theory -- Pt 3: Player Psychological Types (and The Big Five)  (Read 12215 times)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Alright, so a lot of the stuff I'm going to talk about is quite cutting-edge in psychological game design, and the research is literally still in-progress.  (In fact, I was just a research guinea pig a couple of hours ago).

Short version--I know a lot of you are familiar with stuff like the Myers Briggs (y'know, ENTJ and all that).  Now, it turns out that the Myers Briggs test is owned by a corporation, who won't let outside research psychologists make changes to it.  Most research psychologists in motivational psychology today are working on a model called The Big Five--and there's mountains of research done on it, and how it varies across genders and across cultures.  Which means...well, I know how popular personalty tests are on the DL, so I'm just going to link this before people TL;DR :)

http://www.personal.psu.edu/~j5j/IPIP/

Take test, post scores, whee!

------------------------

So...here's where it gets interesting.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/165358/gdc_2012_applying_psychology_.php

And if you want to look through the slides:

http://www.darklorde.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/5_Domains_of_Play_GDC2012.pdf
http://www.darklorde.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/5_Domains_of_Play_GDC2012.pptx

Jason Vandenberghe started trying to see if there were some correlations between this model and the kinds of games people play and what kind of play they enjoy.  And he found out that yes: an extremely strong correlation exists.  Something like three or four test subjects in he was finding that he could predict what kind of games they would like to play and what aspects they would enjoy based on their test scores.

Interesting things too, like...people whose personality skews towards being an asshole, but that's not really socially acceptable, were saying things like "Well...in real life I'm actually really nice, but when I go online I grief and troll people all night."  Jason's metaphor is that basically "we're the Sims".  We have psychological meters that need filling, and sometimes games can fill these in ways that real life cannot.

So...the big five is five scores, and then 30 sub-scores.  The interesting thing is that they are all bell curves and have two extremes, and the people at each extreme are looking for different things.  This is to contrast with earlier player models, which looked something like...this:

This would be the famous Bartle types for MMO games, which probably many of you are familiar with.  Ever wondered--what's the opposite of an achiever?  Well...now we have an answer.  (One of the 30 sub-facets has one end of the spectrum as achievement-striving, and the other as contentment).  In fact, one way in which this is already changing the way we talk about game design, is that when someone says "players want X" the response becomes "well, yes, half of them do, but the other half want Y"

Now, this post is going to be a little devoid on specifics, because I've yet to use and apply the Big Five at all (just looked at it long enough to realize it plugs a lot of the holes apparent in other theories I've been using).  Like I said, relating the Big Five to game design is brand new and shiny and only barely tested research, and I'll be posting more as I figure stuff out.  I CAN, however, talk about player categorization systems, why they are useful, and how to apply them.

Player Categorization Systems

You can actually take people, in a lab setting, watching them play games, film their faces, and detect different emotional states.  Nicole Lazzaro's excellent research is definitely worth a read if you're interested in this:

http://www.xeodesign.com/whyweplaygames/xeodesign_whyweplaygames.pdf

And there's a big advantage if your game can achieve multiple different emotional states.  Because different people actually seek and enjoy different kinds of emotion.  Magic the Gathering has been doing this for years:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b

It has three player categories, and they actively intentionally design cards for each of the three categories.

Spike: people who care about winning, and showing off their skill
Johnny: people who want to make crazy card combos
Timmy: people who are looking for an interesting experience, and want a crazy story to tell

And...three years ago, this was the system I used when designing LFT (the FFT mod) with Laggy, as it was the best system I knew at the time.  Actually, let me go on a tangent to a tangent.

1.3 vs LFT (OMG, Hal's going to ban me for reopening this discussion)

FFT 1.3 does its best to appeal to the challenge crowd and does so explicitly at the expense of all the other archetypes.  Most of the combos from the original are dismantled (MP-Switch and Move MP Up were put one on Bard, one on Dancer, stuff like that).  A lot of the skills are homogenized as an experience--swordskills are given charge time and MP cost, for instance.

For LFT...we specifically aimed to target the other magic the gathering player types.  Instead of removing combos, we kept damn near every combo from the original, and intentionally added several more.  We left Orlandu basically in-tact, because while neither of us understood the appeal of Orlandu, when we observed other people talking about the game, they would say "Oh man, remember how awesome Orlandu was?"  We wanted to buff Knights, and neither of us were really into tanky melee characters, so we sought out people who WERE and had them tell us what kind of buffs felt satisfying to them.  At the same time we didn't completely throw challenge-seekers under the bus--we made the game a little harder and added some optional superbosses.

Now, there's nothing wrong with being laser-focused on a certain kind of player.  People who really skew towards that kind of psychological archetype are going to love your game.  There are people who think 1.3 is much better than LFT, because of their psychological inclinations.  At the same time, people have IMed me claiming that on the internet as a whole, LFT has spread further with broader appeal than 1.3--which is to be expected based on the psychological design decisions.  When you do a pretty good job of appealing to multiple psychological archetypes, you tend to reach a wider audience than when you do an excellent job of appealing to one psychological archetype.  The reverse of that is that I've seen people express the opinion that 1.3 is not only the best game ever but that it's lightyears ahead of anything on the market.  That's the kind of evangelism you can only get by laser focusing on a narrow audience.  (The highest praise LFT tends to get is "Well...FFT was already a 10/10 game for me, and LFT is generally an improvement, so I guess it's my new favourite?")

Player Categorization Systems

Which is to say, there isn't a one -correct- way to use these models.  Unless your goal is to make lots of money--in which case you want to appeal to the widest number of players possible.  But it is perfectly valid to laser-focus on one audience.  Where these models ARE really useful is helping you to understand players that aren't you.  Pretty much anyone can design a game that they would like.  But designing a game for a different audience is hard.  For instance, there are games designed for little girls, and since most developers are adult male computer nerds, presumably the people who made the game had no interest in playing the game.  How do you understand what's a good game design decision for someone that is not you?  It's hard.  And it's especially hard because a lot of the time people don't even REALIZE that not everyone thinks the same way they do.  But not only that, if your goal is to design for a wide audience, then you need to know a LOT of people who aren't you, and not only that but know that these people actually exist and what they want.

The Big Five

Which brings me back to one of the reasons I'm really quite excited about the big five, and how it's going to mesh with game design.  The 5 categories have been broken down into 30 subcategories, and some of these are very much off the radar for game designers.  When Jason interviewed me, one of the things we discussed was that I like silly characters--Yumei from Valkyrie Profile because she does the chicken dance, and Lilka Eleniak from Wild Arms 2 because she beats people up with an umbrella.  So he asks me "Would you anticipate a game that does something like this?"  And my response was "Well, I can only think of a few games with stuff like this, so if I did I wouldn't be anticipating very many games at all."  And he was like "Yeah, I think we as an industry have been overlooking some audiences."

Work in Progress

I'd love to now tell you exactly how each of the 30 facets of the big five relates to game design, but...that's still being figured out.  Jason's got some good ideas, but they're still changing and adapting rapidly as he gets more data.  I will, however, probably have several follow-up posts with my speculation about a lot of these categories.  (Well...either that or I'll go into crunch and you won't see me for several months :P).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:32:25 PM by metroid composite »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
I suppose we are posting scores?  Interesting read as always.

I really have to say up front.  FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck why did I ruin my marks and not do well in my degree and follow it up.  If you had told me there was any chance of doing this kind of research I might have tried much harder at university.  This is my envy face.  It is envious.

Here is scores, weeeeoooooo nothing shocking here.  I am a mildly happy neurotic bag of anger.  Using code makrers to keep down post size and fixed width font.

Code: [Select]
EXTRAVERSION 18
Friendliness 32 / Gregariousness 13 / Assertiveness 13 / Activity Level 40 / Excitement-Seeking 24 / Cheerfulness 47

AGREEABLENESS 45

Trust 3 / Morality 27 / Altruism 20 / Cooperation 26 / Modesty 99 / Sympathy 90

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 19

Self-Efficacy 64 / Orderliness 27 / Dutifulness 33 / Achievement-Striving 38 / Self-Discipline 4 / Cautiousness 16

NEUROTICISM 82

Anxiety 73 / Anger 99  / Depression 75 / Self-Consciousness 55 / Immoderation 91  / Vulnerability 32

OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE 89

Imagination 5 / Artistic Interests 68 / Emotionality 82 / Adventurousness 71 / Intellect 91 / Liberalism 99
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:02:08 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
I suppose my abysmal self-discipline score accurately reflects the fact that I took time to do this test instead of writing that paper.  Also: only 87 on Liberalism?  Gotta work on that.  Also, where agreeableness is concerned, Gref and I seem to be the exact opposite person. (what?  I'm hella sympathetic.)

EXTRAVERSION...............34
..Friendliness.............47
..Gregariousness...........38
..Assertiveness............44
..Activity Level...........27
..Excitement-Seeking.......36
..Cheerfulness.............37

Your score on Extraversion is average, indicating you are neither a subdued loner nor a jovial chatterbox. You enjoy time with others but also time alone.

AGREEABLENESS..............82
..Trust....................99
..Morality.................61
..Altruism.................95
..Cooperation..............26
..Modesty..................18
..Sympathy.................99

Your high level of Agreeableness indicates a strong interest in others' needs and well-being. You are pleasant, sympathetic, and cooperative.

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........29
..Self-Efficacy............24
..Orderliness..............49
..Dutifulness..............54
..Achievement-Striving.....56
..Self-Discipline..........4
..Cautiousness.............30

Your score on Conscientiousness is low, indicating you like to live for the moment and do what feels good now. Your work tends to be careless and disorganized.

NEUROTICISM................64
..Anxiety..................73
..Anger....................35
..Depression...............72
..Self-Consciousness.......39
..Immoderation.............99
..Vulnerability............19

Your score on Neuroticism is average, indicating that your level of emotional reactivity is typical of the general population. Stressful and frustrating situations are somewhat upsetting to you, but you are generally able to get over these feelings and cope with these situations.

OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....75
..Imagination..............50
..Artistic Interests.......86
..Emotionality.............65
..Adventurousness..........11
..Intellect................87
..Liberalism...............87

Your score on Openness to Experience is high, indicating you enjoy novelty, variety, and change. You are curious, imaginative, and creative.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:09:54 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Extraversion 1 (Friendliness 0/Gregariousness 14/Assertiveness 1/Activity Level 10/Excitement-Seeking 17/Cheerfulness 1)

Agreeableness 65 (Trust 42/Morality 39/Altruism 13/Cooperation 80/Modesty 98/Sympathy 63)

Conscientiousness 20 (Self-Efficacy 13/Orderliness 49/Dutifulness 54/Achievement-Striving 4/Self-Discipline 0/Cautiousness 64)

Neruoticism 96 (Anxiety 97/Anger 43/Depression 99/Self-Consciousness 89/Immoderation 77/Vulnerability 85)

Openness 40 (Imagination 19/Artistic Interest 31/Emotinality 13/Adventurousness 19/Intellect 70/Liberalism 97)

Based on the shortened test of course, for maximum laziness.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Extraversion 19 (Friendliness 40/Gregariousness 48/Assertiveness 33/Activity Level 0/Excitement-Seeking 16/Cheerfulness 33)

Agreeableness 81 (Trust 82/Morality 91/Altruism 56/Cooperation 71/Modesty 52/Sympathy 69)

Conscientiousness 31 (Self-Efficacy 27/Orderliness 23/Dutifulness 69/Achievement-Striving 29/Self-Discipline 17/Cautiousness 67)

Neruoticism 34 (Anxiety 26/Anger 9/Depression 69/Self-Consciousness 41/Immoderation 44/Vulnerability 42)

Openness 61 (Imagination 79/Artistic Interest 19/Emotinality 22/Adventurousness 76/Intellect 39/Liberalism 92)

Stealing CK's format for easy-to-readness. Nothing...too surprising here. A couple things I disagree with(I'm not THAT depressive, nor am I THAT inactive). Interesting test, though my usual dislike for asking the same questions worded oh so very slightly differently all over the place goes here.

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Extraversion 3 (Friendliness 5/Gregariousness 10/Assertiveness 24/Activity Level 0/Excitement-Seeking 24/Cheerfulness 15)

Agreeableness 0 (Trust 1/Morality 1/Altruism 3/Cooperation 7/Modesty 37/Sympathy 54)

Conscientiousness 2 (Self-Efficacy 2/Orderliness 54/Dutifulness 1/Achievement-Striving 38/Self-Discipline 2/Cautiousness 13)

Neruoticism 99 (Anxiety 99/Anger 97/Depression 99/Self-Consciousness 98/Immoderation 68/Vulnerability 99)

Openness 64 (Imagination 79/Artistic Interest 33/Emotionality 78/Adventurousness 0/Intellect 91/Liberalism 83)

Wow, I'm a psychopath.  Yep.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
Well.  I just got reinforced with ideas I was already quite aware of, really.  Also stealing Grefter's format.

Domain/Facet........... Score 0--------10--------20--------30--------40--------50--------60--------70--------80--------90--------99
EXTRAVERSION...............15 ***************

..Friendliness.............20 ********************
..Gregariousness...........16 ****************
..Assertiveness............28 ****************************
..Activity Level...........29 *****************************
..Excitement-Seeking.......7 *******
..Cheerfulness.............53 *****************************************************

Your score on Extraversion is low, indicating you are introverted, reserved, and quiet. You enjoy solitude and solitary activities. Your socializing tends to be restricted to a few close friends.

AGREEABLENESS..............50 **************************************************

..Trust....................17 *****************
..Morality.................70 **********************************************************************
..Altruism.................46 **********************************************
..Cooperation..............56 ********************************************************
..Modesty..................67 *******************************************************************
..Sympathy.................48 ************************************************

Your level of Agreeableness is average, indicating some concern with others' Needs, but, generally, unwillingness to sacrifice yourself for others.

Domain/Facet........... Score 0--------10--------20--------30--------40--------50--------60--------70--------80--------90--------99

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........48 ************************************************

..Self-Efficacy............17 *****************
..Orderliness..............72 ************************************************************************
..Dutifulness..............89 *****************************************************************************************
..Achievement-Striving.....64 ****************************************************************
..Self-Discipline..........28 ****************************
..Cautiousness.............24 ************************

Your score on Conscientiousness is average. This means you are reasonably reliable, organized, and self-controlled.

NEUROTICISM................99 ***************************************************************************************************

..Anxiety..................98 **************************************************************************************************
..Anger....................90 ******************************************************************************************
..Depression...............99 ***************************************************************************************************
..Self-Consciousness.......99 ***************************************************************************************************
..Immoderation.............85 *************************************************************************************
..Vulnerability............99 ***************************************************************************************************

Your score on Neuroticism is high, indicating that you are easily upset, even by what most people consider the normal demands of living. People consider you to be sensitive and emotional.

OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....58 **********************************************************

..Imagination..............91 *******************************************************************************************
..Artistic Interests.......48 ************************************************
..Emotionality.............78 ******************************************************************************
..Adventurousness..........8 ********
..Intellect................39 ***************************************
..Liberalism...............63 ***************************************************************

Your score on Openness to Experience is average, indicating you enjoy tradition but are willing to try new things. Your thinking is neither simple nor complex. To others you appear to be a well-educated person but not an intellectual.

Well, if nothing else, I get to claim that I have some of the highest scores in Neruoticism to date!...  That isn't a good thing, is it?

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Seems I'm quite a bit like Alex. ;)

Extraversion 4 (Friendliness 28, Gregariousness 55, Assertiveness 1, Activity Level 0, Excitement-Seeking 17, Cheerfulness 5)
Agreeableness 49 (Trust 61, Morality 50, Altruism 1, Cooperation 36, Modesty 82, Sympathy 73)
Conscientiousness 1 (Self-Efficacy 1, Orderliness 1, Dutifulness 28, Achievement-Striving 1, Self-Discipline 0, Cautiousness 4)
Neuroticism 99 (Anxiety 99, Anger 97, Depression 91, Self-Consciousness 48, Immoderation 91, Vulnerability 99)
Openness to Experience 65 (Imagination 61, Artistic Interests 60, Emotionality 32, Adventurousness 48, Intellect 79, Liberalism 71)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
EXTRAVERSION...............39 ***************************************
..Friendliness.............36 ************************************
..Gregariousness...........39 ***************************************
..Assertiveness............25 *************************
..Activity Level...........38 **************************************
..Excitement-Seeking.......56 ********************************************************
..Cheerfulness.............61 *************************************************************

Your score on Extraversion is average, indicating you are neither a subdued loner nor a jovial chatterbox. You enjoy time with others but also time alone.

AGREEABLENESS..............43 *******************************************
..Trust....................66 ******************************************************************
..Morality.................5 *****
..Altruism.................35 ***********************************
..Cooperation..............2 **
..Modesty..................98 **************************************************************************************************
..Sympathy.................65 *****************************************************************

Your level of Agreeableness is average, indicating some concern with others' Needs, but, generally, unwillingness to sacrifice yourself for others.

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........1 *
..Self-Efficacy............1 *
..Orderliness..............21 *********************
..Dutifulness..............1 *
..Achievement-Striving.....36 ************************************
..Self-Discipline..........0
..Cautiousness.............0

Your score on Conscientiousness is low, indicating you like to live for the moment and do what feels good now. Your work tends to be careless and disorganized.

NEUROTICISM................99 ***************************************************************************************************
..Anxiety..................99 ***************************************************************************************************
..Anger....................98 **************************************************************************************************
..Depression...............97 *************************************************************************************************
..Self-Consciousness.......93 *********************************************************************************************
..Immoderation.............94 **********************************************************************************************
..Vulnerability............98 **************************************************************************************************

Your score on Neuroticism is high, indicating that you are easily upset, even by what most people consider the normal demands of living. People consider you to be sensitive and emotional.

OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....79 *******************************************************************************
..Imagination..............95 ***********************************************************************************************
..Artistic Interests.......77 *****************************************************************************
..Emotionality.............95 ***********************************************************************************************
..Adventurousness..........12 ************
..Intellect................79 *******************************************************************************
..Liberalism...............48 ************************************************

Your score on Openness to Experience is high, indicating you enjoy novelty, variety, and change. You are curious, imaginative, and creative.

...And I'm training to be a teacher...yay. But to be fair, I am something of a mimic. That and I wear waaay too many masks to function in the world.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:06:32 PM by Meiousei »

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile

EXTRAVERSION...............29 *****************************

..Friendliness.............46 **********************************************

..Gregariousness...........51 ***************************************************

..Assertiveness............28 ****************************

..Activity Level...........59 ***********************************************************

..Excitement-Seeking.......11 ***********

..Cheerfulness.............17 *****************

AGREEABLENESS..............68 ********************************************************************

..Trust....................40 ****************************************

..Morality.................59 ***********************************************************

..Altruism.................73 *************************************************************************

..Cooperation..............61 *************************************************************

..Modesty..................65 *****************************************************************

..Sympathy.................78 ******************************************************************************

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........60 ************************************************************

..Self-Efficacy............52 ****************************************************

..Orderliness..............86 **************************************************************************************

..Dutifulness..............50 **************************************************

..Achievement-Striving.....16 ****************

..Self-Discipline..........67 *******************************************************************

..Cautiousness.............62 **************************************************************

NEUROTICISM................84 ************************************************************************************

..Anxiety..................74 **************************************************************************

..Anger....................86 **************************************************************************************

..Depression...............93 *********************************************************************************************

..Self-Consciousness.......61 *************************************************************

..Immoderation.............56 ********************************************************

..Vulnerability............88 ****************************************************************************************

OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....64 ****************************************************************

..Imagination..............67 *******************************************************************

..Artistic Interests.......40 ****************************************

..Emotionality.............78 ******************************************************************************

..Adventurousness..........37 *************************************

..Intellect................78 ******************************************************************************

..Liberalism...............49 *************************************************

Your score on Extraversion is low, indicating you are introverted, reserved, and quiet. You enjoy solitude and solitary activities. Your socializing tends to be restricted to a few close friends.

Your high level of Agreeableness indicates a strong interest in others' needs and well-being. You are pleasant, sympathetic, and cooperative.

Your score on Conscientiousness is average. This means you are reasonably reliable, organized, and self-controlled.

Your score on Openness to Experience is average, indicating you enjoy tradition but are willing to try new things. Your thinking is neither simple nor complex. To others you appear to be a well-educated person but not an intellectual.

i'm surprised i have less vulnerability than two people already
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:36:41 PM by TranceHime »
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
I think it's a matter of looking at it. I mean, I'm in a stressful business, so my Neuroticism will be naturally higher than Magic's due to my natural disorganization (which I am working on fixing). While those two are connected, notice my Openness is high as well, which means I tend to over think things and make them more complex than I should.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, guess I should post my scores.  Just going to post it without the code tags, because I think my eyes are too old for the code format.

EXTRAVERSION...............10 **********

..Friendliness.............17 *****************
..Gregariousness...........6 ******
..Assertiveness............5 *****
..Activity Level...........32 ********************************
..Excitement-Seeking.......0
..Cheerfulness.............96 ************************************************************************************************

AGREEABLENESS..............93 *********************************************************************************************

..Trust....................95 ***********************************************************************************************
..Morality.................96 ************************************************************************************************
..Altruism.................29 ***************************** (N.B.: Pretty sure this score was skewed by the phrasing of the questions, and that my altruism is actually high)
..Cooperation..............72 ************************************************************************
..Modesty..................87 ***************************************************************************************
..Sympathy.................84 ************************************************************************************

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........44 ********************************************

..Self-Efficacy............50 **************************************************
..Orderliness..............41 *****************************************
..Dutifulness..............66 ******************************************************************
..Achievement-Striving.....30 ******************************
..Self-Discipline..........55 *******************************************************
..Cautiousness.............34 **********************************

NEUROTICISM................27 ***************************

..Anxiety..................37 *************************************
..Anger....................6 ******
..Depression...............22 **********************
..Self-Consciousness.......93 *********************************************************************************************
..Immoderation.............10 **********
..Vulnerability............43 *******************************************

OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....50 **************************************************

..Imagination..............83 ***********************************************************************************
..Artistic Interests.......1 *
..Emotionality.............47 ***********************************************
..Adventurousness..........16 ****************
..Intellect................70 **********************************************************************
..Liberalism...............99 ***************************************************************************************************
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:23:41 PM by metroid composite »

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
So what can you assess about the sample group as a whole, Metroid?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
EXTRAVERSION...............40 - Friendliness 74 / Gregariousness 29 / Assertiveness 63 / Activity Level 27 / Excitement-Seeking 36 / Cheerfulness 27
AGREEABLENESS..............52 - Trust 79 / Morality 11 / Altruism 33 / Cooperation 26 / Modesty 74 / Sympathy 82
CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........34 - Self-Efficacy 52 / Orderliness 49 / Dutifulness 54 / Achievement-Striving 26 / Self-Discipline 17 / Cautiousness 36
NEUROTICISM................47 - Anxiety 45 / Anger 68 / Depression 38 / Self-Consciousness 15 / Immoderation 85 / Vulnerability 38
OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....32 - Imagination 28 / Artistic Interests 0 / Emotionality 54 / Adventurousness 38 / Intellect 27 / Liberalism 93

Your score on Neuroticism is average, indicating that your level of emotional reactivity is typical of the general population. Stressful and frustrating situations are somewhat upsetting to you, but you are generally able to get over these feelings and cope with these situations.
Your score on Openness to Experience is low, indicating you like to think in plain and simple terms. Others describe you as down-to-earth, practical, and conservative.

Man I look terribly dull.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:07:08 PM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
EXTRAVERSION...............10 - Friendliness 40 / Gregariousness 31 / Assertiveness 10 / Activity Level 0 / Excitement-Seeking 2 / Cheerfulness 53
AGREEABLENESS..............87 - Trust 82 / Morality 84 / Altruism 57 / Cooperation 56 / Modesty 72 / Sympathy 95
CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........8 - Self-Efficacy 8 / Orderliness 27 / Dutifulness 27 / Achievement-Striving 15 / Self-Discipline 0 / Cautiousness 48
NEUROTICISM................64 - Anxiety 38 / Anger 46 / Depression 95 / Self-Consciousness 50 / Immoderation 44 / Vulnerability 74
OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....61 - Imagination 49 / Artistic Interests 63 / Emotionality 63 / Adventurousness 40 / Intellect 39 / Liberalism 79

I am the personification of :effort:
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Not gonna post the whole thing, I forgot to write all of them down.

Extroversion 1/Agreeableness 75/Conscientiousness 20/Neuroticism 98/Openness 55

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Hungry Youkai

• Denizen
  • Is that so~?
    • View Profile
Extraversion 6 (Friendliness 0/Gregariousness 0/Assertiveness 28/Activity Level 2/Excitement-Seeking 32/Cheerfulness 81)

Agreeableness 32 (Trust 20/Morality 13/Altruism 0/Cooperation 61/Modesty 52/Sympathy 93)

Conscientiousness 9 (Self-Efficacy 75/Orderliness 13/Dutifulness 0/Achievement-Striving 28/Self-Discipline 0/Cautiousness 43)

Neruoticism 92 (Anxiety 80/Anger 65/Depression 65/Self-Consciousness 99/Immoderation 91/Vulnerability 89)

Openness 89 (Imagination 96/Artistic Interest 53/Emotionality 97/Adventurousness 3/Intellect 71/Liberalism 99)

Well, at least I'm cheerful!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:36:09 PM by Hungry Youkai »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Extraversion

EXTRAVERSION...............0
..Friendliness.............8 ********
..Gregariousness...........5 *****
..Assertiveness............0
..Activity Level...........18 ******************
..Excitement-Seeking.......1 *
..Cheerfulness.............23 ***********************

What's the shock here? I'm a shut-in at heart. The doormatting is also no shock.

Agreeableness

AGREEABLENESS..............71 ***********************************************************************

..Trust....................5 *****
..Morality.................91 *******************************************************************************************
..Altruism.................46 **********************************************
..Cooperation..............66 ******************************************************************
..Modesty..................91 *******************************************************************************************
..Sympathy.................86 **************************************************************************************

The morality levels are rather brutally high. Not sure it comes off as a surprise, since while I -do- have a very rigid ethical code, what I consider moral doesn't often overlap with what -others- think is moral. Sympathy being that high, as well as modesty, though, sorta surprises me. I just don't like boasting, this doesn't mean I'm not arrogant. The levels of trust also come off as completely expected. My paranoia levels are borderline sociopathic.

Conscientiousness

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........87 ***************************************************************************************

..Self-Efficacy............39 ***************************************
..Orderliness..............83 ***********************************************************************************
..Dutifulness..............89 *****************************************************************************************
..Achievement-Striving.....64 ****************************************************************
..Self-Discipline..........77 *****************************************************************************
..Cautiousness.............98 **************************************************************************************************

My sense of duty largerly compensates my laziness, as well as discipline. Overall high scores.

Neuroticism

NEUROTICISM................82 **********************************************************************************

..Anxiety..................95 ***********************************************************************************************
..Anger....................31 *******************************
..Depression...............89 *****************************************************************************************
..Self-Consciousness.......99 ***************************************************************************************************
..Immoderation.............49 *************************************************
..Vulnerability............66 ******************************************************************

Only my lack of anger and controllable immoderation keep me from being a nervous wreck, I guess.

Openness to Experience

OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....83 ***********************************************************************************

..Imagination..............75 ***************************************************************************
..Artistic Interests.......86 **************************************************************************************
..Emotionality.............73 *************************************************************************
..Adventurousness..........8 ********
..Intellect................91 *******************************************************************************************
..Liberalism...............89 *****************************************************************************************

Now this is a surprise.

Controlling, neurotic and systematic, yet amenable. Works.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:11:36 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
EXTRAVERSION...............4 - Friendliness 13 / Gregariousness 8 / Assertiveness 63 / Activity Level 4 / Excitement-Seeking 1 / Cheerfulness 11
AGREEABLENESS..............73 - Trust 79 / Morality 61 / Altruism 69 / Cooperation 63 / Modesty 35 / Sympathy 82
CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........51 - Self-Efficacy 52 / Orderliness 18 / Dutifulness 54 / Achievement-Striving 66 / Self-Discipline 36 / Cautiousness 80
NEUROTICISM................54 - Anxiety 36 / Anger 75 / Depression 38 / Self-Consciousness 83 / Immoderation 38 / Vulnerability 38
OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....17 - Imagination 11 / Artistic Interests 31 / Emotionality 54 / Adventurousness 11 / Intellect 27 / Liberalism 43

Your score on Openness to Experience is low, indicating you like to think in plain and simple terms. Others describe you as down-to-earth, practical, and conservative.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
EXTRAVERSION...............44 ********************************************

..Friendliness.............32 ********************************
..Gregariousness...........57 *********************************************************
..Assertiveness............65 *****************************************************************
..Activity Level...........23 ***********************
..Excitement-Seeking.......55 *******************************************************
..Cheerfulness.............37 *************************************

AGREEABLENESS..............46 **********************************************

..Trust....................51 ***************************************************
..Morality.................48 ************************************************
..Altruism.................73 *************************************************************************
..Cooperation..............7 *******
..Modesty..................52 ****************************************************
..Sympathy.................59 ***********************************************************

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS..........18 ******************

..Self-Efficacy............12 ************
..Orderliness..............13 *************
..Dutifulness..............45 *********************************************
..Achievement-Striving.....43 *******************************************
..Self-Discipline..........24 ************************
..Cautiousness.............24 ************************

NEUROTICISM................74 **************************************************************************

..Anxiety..................73 *************************************************************************
..Anger....................68 ********************************************************************
..Depression...............91 *******************************************************************************************
..Self-Consciousness.......73 *************************************************************************
..Immoderation.............39 ***************************************
..Vulnerability............51 ***************************************************

OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE.....75 ***************************************************************************

..Imagination..............96 ************************************************************************************************
..Artistic Interests.......48 ************************************************
..Emotionality.............82 **********************************************************************************
..Adventurousness..........16 ****************
..Intellect................71 ***********************************************************************
..Liberalism...............72 ************************************************************************
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:13:37 AM by Hunter Sopko »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
So what can you assess about the sample group as a whole, Metroid?

I'm seriously still doing catchup on this stuff.  I wasn't allowing myself to look at any Big Five research until after Jason interviewed me.

There is, however, one that I'm going to look at right away, and that's Adventurousness.  I believe Jason's question in this category was something along the lines of "Do you like games where there are seemingly endless possibilities to explore, where you can go anywhere and do anything, or do you like games where you just stay in your base and build a base."

And this relates to a rant I saw Elfboy post not too long ago.  Someone on B8 posted about how game review sites these days rate JRPGs highly based on how many WRPG aspects they've borrowed.  And Elfboy called BS on this, pointed out that he still prefers this gen's JRPGs to this gen's WRPGs because he prefers the style of gameplay.  Which got me thinking...take my favourite game, and add a massive nonlinear world to explore on top of the existing game, and that might actually make the game WORSE to me.

So...let's look at the DL's Adventurousness scores: so far, almost all below 50 with a couple of 0s.  The exceptions being Grefter at 71 (oh, hey, look, token WRPG fan of the group) and Gate at 76 (I.......wait, really?  Gate is more on the side of adventurousness than desire for routine?  I would not have guessed that).

Artistic Interests 0

Aw, Laggy beat my score.

............Hmm.....actually, you know what I'm tempted to do?  Get all of these into a spreadsheet, and crossreference them with the RPG ratings topic, to see which games have strong correlations.  Would be particularly interesting, because all of Jason's research so far has been qualitative, but this would be (reasonably) quantitative.  This would involve actually getting the RPG Ratings spreadsheet up to date though....

EDIT: among other things, I'd want to look for correlations of the kinds of games people play too.  Like...there's a section of the DL that goes out and plays Hydlide and Drakkhen and so on.  A lot of Jason's questions have been along the lines of "what games do you like, what would motivate you to go out and preorder a game", but that's not necessarily the same as "what games do you play."  Where I'm wondering if there might be a connection is Neuroticism--the Neuroticism category is basically how strongly you experience negative emotions, and he just hasn't been finding any correlation with this category at all.  But at the same time, there are people in the DL who think it's hilarious to go play Hydlide, and other people who think "why would you do that to yourself?" and I'd be curious to search for a pattern.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:55:55 AM by metroid composite »

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
EXTRAVERSION: 36
Friendliness: 58
Gregariousness: 31
Assertiveness: 92
Activity Level: 18
Excitement-Seeking: 0
Cheerfulness: 53

I don't always seek out the company of others, but when I do, I always seek to dominate them. Sounds about right. I believe in hierarchy and test myself against others until I find a superior, then fall into line; often I don't find one, so I take charge. I like people, but I'm lazy.

AGREEABLENESS: 6
Trust: 13
Morality: 2
Altruism: 57
Cooperation: 2
Modesty: 14
Sympathy: 38

This one makes a vague amount of sense (except Cooperation), based on the definitions they're using. Mostly it seems way too extreme. I would expect to be toward the median on these, considering that I gave almost no strong answers one way or another on these questions. Weird.

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS: 2
Self-Efficacy: 8
Orderliness: 27
Dutifulness: 39
Achievement-Striving: 3
Self-Discipline: 0
Cautiousness: 7

Like they say on Tumblr, I'm losing control of my liiiiiiiife! Basically accurate, though. I procrastinate like a motherfucker and I have very modest goals. I'll usually only work hard for others, not for myself. I take issue with two things. First, there was no question like "You generally succeed at goals you've set or that are set for you." Because that, I do. It's always at the last minute, but I do. And second, how the hell is my Cautiousness a 7 when I strongly answered "no" to every question about being impulsive or seeking excitement? Aside from that, would have made this a bit more moderate, I think, but not much. I am not good at living.

NEUROTICISM: 98
Anxiety: 99
Anger: 92
Depression: 93
Self-Consciousness: 84
Immoderation: 73
Vulnerability: 99

Pffffffffthahahahahahahaha! I guess almost everyone else I know would score over 9,000 on this, since I'm usually the cheerful, stable one. I guess I understand why this came out this way (my answers were consistently on the "No I fuck things up" side of the scale), but it seems to have ignored that they were MILDLY so, and that it's all due to the things that were very accurate about the last category.

OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE: 27
Imagination: 96
Artistic Interests: 3
Emotionality: 63
Adventurousness: 0
Intellect: 45
Liberalism: 29

Seems about right.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
(I.......wait, really?  Gate is more on the side of adventurousness than desire for routine?  I would not have guessed that).

Amusing, isn't it? Mainly it's because Jenna would have an Adventurousness close to 0,aAnd doing stuff without her is rarely an option for me. So it seems like I'm not adventurous when it's more that I don't have the opportunities to do things. But yeah, I love travel, I love to meet up with people and go do stuff and I'm something of a neophile(will drop stuff I've started but gotten bored of to start something new very reliably).

Of course that 0 activity level prooooobably isn't helping either. <_<;

EDIT: Should talk about gamestuffs here too, since that's what this is all about in the end.

Okay, I'm not one of the WRPG fans in the group, which may seem strange with my high adv. In fact, I generally dispise sandbox games, which makes that even stranger. But the thing to keep in mind is WHY I dislike them. Not because I don't like having options, far from it. But even the most well designed WRPG or sandbox type game is a mere badly made illusion of choice when compared to the games that are my REAL primary hobby: pencil and paper RPGs. Being given the illusion of freedom and the ability to make some defined choices within a framework and having it pretend to be real roleplaying annoys me. Some, like Dragon Age, I love anyway becuase of character work and worldbuilding and all that nice stuff. Mass Effect would prolly be the same if I could tolerate the gun combat long enough(and if I'd gotten it for PC instead of Xbox...). Some others, like Neverwinter Nights, hook me purely off the "it's DnD in a video game" geekery. But most WRPGs bore me and I have issues finishing them after awhile. If I'm not going to be given then freedom to ACTUALLY roleplay, I'd rather a well designed linear story with good character work and lots of ideas to steal for the games I run.

This was rambly and possibly sounding like a jerk about WRPGs, but hope it helps make some sense of things.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:37:54 AM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
We were giggling about this a little on IRC today.  A few thoughts crossed my mind.

Was contemplating putting them together on spreadsheet for comparative analysis myself.  Probably not the best plan without asking first though.

Also when talking with Laggy I used it as an excuse for my purchasing habits as well.  Like I think things you see where I score decently high on adventurousness and have no concept of self moderation at all leads to things like buying lots of games at release even though I don't think I will like them (or they suck) and stuff.  Compared to Laggy who preordered one game once and it sucked and swears to never do so again and felt bad about spending $10 on a good game just last week.

So yeah I would love to see a correlation on this kind of study not just on what people like, but on spending habits as well.  I think there is a ton of fun data here and not even joking about the envy thing.  This is great stuff to play with.

Edit - And because it also came up in chat, remember that this kind of test is going to be skewed slightly based on people's self perception and the like, so you are going to have some slightly odd results in some places that others may not perceive as totally accurate.  It comes with the kind of test and in no way invalidates the results at all, just if you see some results that shock you then some of it is likely to be some points of self perception.

Using myself for example, I am probably more imaginative than that, but I don't see myself much that way.  I am also probably not QUITE that angry, but I definitely see myself that way.

That is except for most of Metroid's.  Like yeah probably Altruism aside I love how accurate that is.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:51:36 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.