Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2013 Season 1 Final  (Read 5086 times)

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2013 Season 1 Final
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 12:15:10 AM »
Bosses are factored in, but the sheer number of randoms tends to numerically overwhelm them (I did put a bit of extra weight on bosses though).

For Snowfire, well, I guess there are two enemies where you check AS before moving people into range at endgame in FE 7. But what holds true for midgame for AS kind of goes to hell at endgame. That said, the structural problem with -4/+4 may be more based on the fact that PC doubling is predicated on PC AS (which it never faces in game and it completely unlike the way we scale anything else). Then I guess anyone +4 from average enemy AS gets their average damage doubled for averages (Similarly, anyone with -4 AS gets their HP halved in averaged). This could actually work with endgame balance (although what I like better about percentages is that AS tends to be very clustered on the enemy side, which percentages reflects a lot better).
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 12:52:12 AM »
What bothers me most about the double rate view is that it completely flatlines the case-by-case basis of the entire mechanic. This is a fundamental dynamic in-game that can be relevant in many different ways even in endgame (remember, no playthrough is the same as the last due to the very nature of the game! And the actual Attack Speed can change from one turn to another by a simple weapon swap!), and I happen to like this dynamic translating into the DL, even if in a flawed manner. It doesn't matter if general enemy stats suck: there are enemies even in the failstat FEs that need your speedier folks to be doubled, and ones that even slower folks can. The way percentages work, they ultimately say that their offense is the same against all speed ranges in practice, and that's just -entirely untrue to the game's very core-. It's a dynamic that adds diversity to the Fire Emblem casts as a whole, and I like this. Different strokes and all, but I certainly prefer a view that feels more organic towards the cast, even if it makes most matches more complicated than a typical, say, Suikoscrub slugfest is. It honestly feels like a way to subtly nerf a series that isn't exactly shining in power as is, since it, at least from the stat topics put up, quite frankly throws a lot of cases where the big offense dynamos in-game get shafted in ways that honestly feel nonsensical (Tana and Eirika 3HKOing average -after- doubles? What?).
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »
So then why not base it off enemy AS? You can still have this mechanic but say that enemy AS averages.

At endgame in a lot of FEs the mechanic is somewhat flatlined. Yes, not for every single enemy. And certainly looking at the FE 13 topic, not for every single FE (And of course, you can move the percentages up and down. They don't have to stay static)

Completely disagree about neutering the cast, because these are the casts that tend to get a lot of DL hype for an actual in game non-advantages (compare this with a cast like FF 7 or 8 where in game skillsets mostly go out of the window).

Eirika 2HKOs for what it's worth (And FE 8 is the one where I had to pump the AS stat especially because the last map enemies actually start hemorraghing stats).

...into the nightfall.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 01:48:16 AM »
I overstepped my bounds. I am sorry for being provacational.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 01:51:13 AM »
this fe debate can only be settled by fisticuffs
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 02:47:39 AM »
Middle
White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Gardevoir (Pokémon)

Light
Zegai (Suikoden V) vs Lucius (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)

Rankings
Brigandine (11/21) - Rank
Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals  11/15 (Season 2012-3) - Abstain
Earthbound (12/21) - Rank
Legend of Legaia (13/21) - Rank
Parasite Eve (11/21) - Rank
Phantasy Star II (11/21) - Rank
Wild ARMs Alter Code F (11/21) - Rank

Data Mine
Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Haven't played, Rank
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Haven't played, Rank
Dragon Quest VI - Haven't played, Rank
Blue Dragon - Haven't played, Rank
Lost Odyssey - Haven't played, Rank

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 03:25:19 AM »
Heavy

Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Sa-Lews (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) - yeah, I'm seeing the Siegmund = Holy Weapon more than Siegmund = anti-nonhuman weapon (pity there's no normal manakete to viably test this on for definitive proof), but the point is that Eph isn't favored here.  Sa-Lews has MT magic out the ass (and Eph will in fact eat Legeon counters), Eph's not hitting weakness, I don't see him winning here.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 03:57:59 AM »
So then why not base it off enemy AS? You can still have this mechanic but say that enemy AS averages.

I'm more comfortable with basing it off PC AS for one reason: it's still how you actually compare who's fast and who's not in your party in the boiling of eggs (and there's a difference between Erk speed and Matthew speed even so, even if by endgame both double about the same amount of enemies assuming typical growth! I -like- emphasizing those differences), and -how-. As I said, I -understand- why use the double rate averages, since it's a weird situation. But see the precedent. Do we compare CTB speed against enemy averages to determine how fast PCs in a cast are? Feels like an analog situation - and I feel the case for using enemy speed stats is actually sorta similar. This might even ring truer to you, since I know you factor the amount of turns gotten directly into offense. Only in FE's case, it's double actions and there's a clear threshold instead of a sliding scale.

Quote from: Dhyer
At endgame in a lot of FEs the mechanic is somewhat flatlined. Yes, not for every single enemy. And certainly looking at the FE 13 topic, not for every single FE (And of course, you can move the percentages up and down. They don't have to stay static)

And I can achieve the same effect by applying the case-by-case basis I already employ without making magic handwaving. I'm sure you can adjust the scales, but then what -would- one be trying to accomplish there? It just feels like creating even -more- completely alien environments that don't exist outside theorycraft. I dunno.

Quote from: Dhyer
Completely disagree about neutering the cast, because these are the casts that tend to get a lot of DL hype for an actual in game non-advantages (compare this with a cast like FF 7 or 8 where in game skillsets mostly go out of the window).

I'm not going back to a discussion that was old in 2006. You know where I stand and I know where you do. For FF7 and 8, it sucks to be them, but I already try to throw them a bone by being lenient on their damage scaling as is (not factoring limits for FF8, using three-turn averages that only factor in L1s for FF7 along with allowing limit scaling. And heck, FF7 doesn't even get the short end of the stick).
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 06:44:59 AM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)

Heavy

Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Sa-Lews (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium)

Middle

White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Gardevoir (Pokémon)

Light

Zegai (Suikoden V) vs Lucius (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)

Rankings

For each of the following games, please indicate if you would like to Rank it in the DL or Reject it from further ranking consideration.

Brigandine (11/21) - Do not rank
Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals  11/15 (Season 2012-3) - Rank
Earthbound (12/21) Who the shit cares
Legend of Legaia (13/21) ^
Parasite Eve (11/21) no
Phantasy Star II (11/21) -  Rank
Wild ARMs Alter Code F (11/21) - Rank

Data Mine
Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Played, rank
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Played, rank
Dragon Quest VI - Haven't played, pass
Blue Dragon - Can vote on, rank
Lost Odyssey - Can vote on, rank
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 06:47:36 AM »
I'm more comfortable with basing it off PC AS for one reason: it's still how you actually compare who's fast and who's not in your party in the boiling of eggs (and there's a difference between Erk speed and Matthew speed even so, even if by endgame both double about the same amount of enemies assuming typical growth! I -like- emphasizing those differences), and -how-. As I said, I -understand- why use the double rate averages, since it's a weird situation. But see the precedent. Do we compare CTB speed against enemy averages to determine how fast PCs in a cast are? Feels like an analog situation - and I feel the case for using enemy speed stats is actually sorta similar. This might even ring truer to you, since I know you factor the amount of turns gotten directly into offense. Only in FE's case, it's double actions and there's a clear threshold instead of a sliding scale.

FE "speed" is not really like CTB (or TB) speed anyway.  It doesn't affect how fast you get turns at all.  It's just evasion and sometimes lets you swing twice (note that you do not get to choose a different action for the second swing).

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »
Heavy
Ephraim (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) vs Sa-Lews (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) - If my memory serves me rightly, "physical" immunity didn't even cover endgame weapons like Laconian Whatever, so it certainly shouldn't affect the legendary Sieglinde. That said, I don't see the anti-monster trait activating either, and Eph needs it to.

Middle
White Rose (SaGa Frontier) vs Gardevoir (Pokémon) - Wonder what stats an absorbed Gardevoir gives.

Rankings
Brigandine (11/21) - Reject
Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals  11/15 (Season 2012-3) - Rank. Kinda dubious, since no U.S. release and all, but if the playership is there...
Earthbound (12/21) - Rank
Legend of Legaia (13/21) - Reject
Parasite Eve (11/21) - Abstain
Phantasy Star II (11/21) - Reject. If I want to see these people in action I will nominate their generally more interesting PS4 counterparts.
Wild ARMs Alter Code F (11/21) - Abstain

Data Mine
Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Not played
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Played
Dragon Quest VI - Not played
Blue Dragon - Not played
Lost Odyssey - Not played

On double rates: While being simple to work with is certainly an advantage, I would argue that double rates are actually more true to in-game than comparing a character's AS to their game's average PC AS in order to determine whether they double. (Even if you also modify the latter based on the target's own speed and game average.)  Considering FE7: the PC average AS is about 20.6, from the stat topic. In the first part of the final chapter (ENM), 20.6 AS doubles 5/8 minibosses (doubled by two), 13/13 mooks, and the boss. The idea that an average FE7 PC should not expect to double the majority of their DL opponents is therefore quite odd. If lategame Sain doubles almost as many enemies as lategame Matthew and inflicts substantially more per-hit damage, why should the DL make Matthew the 'offensive dynamo'?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »
That argument cuts both ways, though. If Guy 2HKOs almost as many enemies as Sain lategame (I'd use Matt, but thief promotion issues), why should Sain be seen as better offensively? It's just the way FE7 is structured, you don't need to have great offensive stats to kill things late. In general, though I still find not doubling more likely to cause problems than low strength, as the latter is fixed by using better weapons or supports (and if you do miss a 2HKO, you have two crit chances, whereas missing a double gives you one). And even for your Light example, a character with 20.6 speed is just a couple points away from only doubling 1-2 of the 8 minibosses (or you could be playing HHM), so I have no issue with exaggerating the difference between that and more RNG-secure (or underlevelled-secure) averages.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »
You are arguing for something like a damage cap there based on enemy HP, NEB (where additional damage is thrown out above overkill, but a double rate letting you KO more enemies gets you a higher damage) . This sort of method would likely get you the best in-game/DL transition but is a pain and quite unlike what is done for other games. I doubt offhand that, say, Tana and Gerik end up as different as you take them if you use this method.

I can understand the hate over less hype for top FEers damage, but they probably don't deserve as much respect as you give them.

Actually relevant: Can someone tell me Lucius pdur (preferably adjusting for doubled rates) and Zegai damage? I'm lazy.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:40:21 PM by Pyro »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
CTB/AB speed also doesn't directly check an enemy's stats.

So then it becomes a matter of how are you weighting bosses (assuming you are taking normal mode), because going back a map lets 20 AS double everyone except the boss. Looking at the bosses on that one map and Limstella alone, AS average is 19.8. And if you give bosses a large extra factor, the flip is that defense and res would need to be increase for increased boss factor. As a lot of high AS characters also tend to be lower on the attack spectrum, this would balance a bit.

The split between Guy and Sain? Sain doesn't need to double to kill a lot of things in one hit that Guy kills in two. Some bosses Guy is better against due to getting the double.

Limstella- 14.9/12
Uhai- 20.9/12 (Sain is doubled)
Kenneth- 24.9/32
Brendan- 19.9/22
Darin- 19.8/2
Ursula- 22.9/28
Jerme- 19.9/22 (Guy doubles if you take 3.6 AS or above as doubling as he's 3.8 on averaged)
Lloyd- 20.9/12 (Sain is doubled)
Linus- 17.9/18
Nergal- 21.8/4

So Sain has on average a damage edge (Both on average and the general feel of consistency) although of course Guy has the better crit rate. Guy has the obvious durability edge, actually the flip is that as he is needing the back end of the double to kill more often it means more hits are levelled his way.

In Limstella map, there are approximately 5 or so enemies Sain can OHKO that Guy can't (discarding non attacking priests). There might be 1 on the boss map. There are three enemies that Guy on average fails to 2HKO, but Sain does and both double. There's 2 on the boss map.

Guy (and many high AS PCs) can't really pick up better weapons easily because their con drags their AS way down. Certainly there are chunks of the game where they can't be equipping for Power and they don't handle Brave Weapons too well on average. Random stats can go in two directions especially against those bosses. Sain losing 2 AS would be pretty bad, but Guy losing 2 AS would be pretty bad too for his overall effectiveness. Guy losing 2 Power would also be pretty bad. Now this is just dealing one with specific example/scenario. Supports can obviously change Power, although Sain can grab more OHKOs on too.

Obviously every FE has a lot of different stuff (FE 8 has no equivalent boss rush map; FE 10 really didn't but at least randoms weren't a massive big of fail so there is actually a split), so in that having a set precedence across all the games is also weird. Average AS in one FE isn't going to function the same way as in other FEs. Of course, you start bringing randoms in the averages and they just tank. But say the average is set at 18 instead of 21. You need a lot of speed to double Sain (this is right in game, it's 2 of 10 bosses and no randoms), Guy can still basically double near everything, someone who is 15 speed needs to watch out for doubles, but isn't auto doubled by everything.
...into the nightfall.

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »
That argument cuts both ways, though. If Guy 2HKOs almost as many enemies as Sain lategame (I'd use Matt, but thief promotion issues), why should Sain be seen as better offensively?

Consistency. To the best of my knowledge, stat topics determine damage from typical enemy defensive stats, without bothering to cap the effective value by target HP or care factor. I do not see why Fire Emblem should be an exception. (I also disagree strenuously with the implication that Sain and Guy have Str/AS spreads of comparable worth, but will leave it at that lest I eat up five pages arguing about FE7 characters.)

And even for your Light example, a character with 20.6 speed is just a couple points away from only doubling 1-2 of the 8 minibosses (or you could be playing HHM),

I would suggest that Attack issues are just as subject to these factors. They are perhaps even more affected; you can generally expect a HHM foe's (HP/2+Def) growth to exceed its (Spd) growth by a fair margin. And although Killer/Silver weapons can sometimes compensate for Atk issues, so too can Brave weapons handle Speed. Yes, Brave weapons are hard to come by, but when we have to look at the final chapter's miniboss squad in order to find a chapter where enemy AS is halfway decent, I am willing to assume that the kitchen sink has entered play.

But for all that I do believe my interpretation is more accurate to in-game performance than yours, I would consider consistency the main reason why I adhere to it. We typically evaluate the damage of a DL cast by seeing how much damage the characters do to average-ish endgame enemies, then comparing them to each other. In FE7, a character's damage is based on how their Attack compares to enemy Def/Res, and how their AS compares to enemy AS. So that's what I work with.

(I guess it does nerf FE casts compared to the alternative, overall, but that's because the alternative allows a nontrivial fraction of the party to consistently deal double damage - looks like in FE7, it's about one in four PCs - but does not factor that into the cast's average damage.)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 05:15:44 AM »
The thing is that ability to inflict damage and ability to trigger double attacks are seperate concepts.  Yes, the latter bears on the former, and the way it bears on the former (giving greater weight to an individual action, as opposed to ATB/CTB speed) is a good reason to factor it into averages in some form (which is a significant part of my unhappiness with the prevailing interp), but they are quite clearly seperate capabilities, and should be judged as such, meaning that if PC from game A and PC from game B have average ability to inflict damage relatives to their casts, their damage should be taken as such, and if they have average ability to trigger double attacks relative to their casts, that too should be taken as such, and we both know the logic of FE doubling mechanics say that if two opponents have the same ability to double, then no doubling occurs, which leaves me vaguely puzzled as to just how meaningful this method actually is without discarding the mechanic entirely and simply treating it as you seem to, which I think is a valid enough view despite all these words about seperate concepts but I confess I don't see the inherent inconsistancy in doing otherwise and it doesn't incline me to adopt it in the least, instead if anything this has made me lean more towards another view entirely.

And that's my somewhat meaningless contribution to this episode of views people think other people should adopt.  Needed to get that out of my system before it gnawed at me like Snow on meth.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 05:24:07 AM by Random Consonant »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 05:54:18 AM »
I would suggest that Attack issues are just as subject to these factors. They are perhaps even more affected; you can generally expect a HHM foe's (HP/2+Def) growth to exceed its (Spd) growth by a fair margin. And although Killer/Silver weapons can sometimes compensate for Atk issues, so too can Brave weapons handle Speed. Yes, Brave weapons are hard to come by, but when we have to look at the final chapter's miniboss squad in order to find a chapter where enemy AS is halfway decent, I am willing to assume that the kitchen sink has entered play.

Brave weapons compensate for low atk too! They're just great weapons, they help everyone. But if your point is that "due to sufficiently good weapons, nobody's offensive differences really mean that much at endgame"... okay, I can't really argue.

(I also disagree strenuously with the implication that Sain and Guy have Str/AS spreads of comparable worth, but will leave it at that lest I eat up five pages arguing about FE7 characters.)

Er... don't they? Guy and Sain are usually not seen as terribly different for character worth. (Checking the DL's character rankings, they're 0.34 apart.) Seeing as Sain has better move and 2 range, Guy presumably acquits himself decently elsewhere! I guess your point is that Sain's spread is better late (by which point Guy is more durable via avoid)... but I'm not really sure I agree, lategame when Sain actually doubles reliably is also when Silvers are storebought, and even before then you can pull out a Silver Sword in a pinch for way earlier.

Regardless, Guy's str is considerably lower than Sain's speed (he pretty much only beats the thieves and Karla). Perhaps a fairer comparison here is Guy vs. Oswin, and I know whose offence I'd rather have there.

I do agree with your overall point on consistency by the way, I wasn't seriously suggesting we throw out atk differences for characters in the DL, even if I don't have a terribly high opinion of them in-game. I just strongly dislike views which make AS not matter, since I find it to be a crucial factor for in-game performance. And almost any condition I can think of which is somewhat DL-like... fighting Light minibosses, fighting bosses throughout the game, fighting in the link arena... AS is going to matter. Holistically I think the DL overrates lategame AS, yes, but on the other hand it underrates lategame evade (FE7 random enemies average ~90 hit, we pretty much scale them against bosses. Also the DL has ITE, FE largely doesn't) and those who have one of evadetend to have the other.

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 09:57:46 AM »
Since I like running numbers, I ran these with Oswin. Of course, while doing this I realized that I was horribly, horribly overrating some of the bosses because I was using Speed and not AS. What this basically means is that...Sain just scored a number more doubles.

Sain/Guy/Oswin
Limstella (12 AS)- 29.8/12/15.3
Uhai- (25 AS) 20.9/12/21.3 (Sain and Oswin are doubled)
Kenneth (12 AS)- 45.8/32/25.3
Brendan (17 AS)- 18.9/22/19.3
Darin- (15 AS) 19.8/2/9.3
Ursula- (16 AS) 44.8/28/23.3
Jerme (18 AS?)- 19.9/22/19.3
Lloyd- (27 AS) 20.9/12/21.3 (Sain and Oswin are doubled)
Linus- (19 AS) 17.9/18/18.3
Nergal (13 AS)- 21.8/4/10.3
Average- 26/16.4/18.3

Actually, if you are looking at bosses, Sain just absolutely destroys the other two. There are of course a few things in Guy's favor (never doubled, better crit rate). Oswin is overrated a little, but not too out of line with performance here. Of the randoms on the last two maps...there's 25-30, and the best speed they feature is 15-16 AS (for 3 of them). Aka, Sain and Guy double them all. Oswin misses doubles on those three. So...overall, Oswin is slightly better than random damage on Guy consistency wise and bosses they feel balanced somewhat. Even these bosses fail it up (Now without those massive AS hits there felt like more heft to giving AS more weight). AS is a much more interesting stat when it's actually checking non-fail enemies. The boss AS also averages a whopping 17.4, so needless to say is a far cry off from the PC average.

In terms of evasion, high end evasion ends up better by my view a bit! A really bad evasion is punished more (although not as much as in game, but that's a hard thing to do because DL accuracy tends to run so high on average that bad evade doesn't end up that big a liability). Dead average evasion obvious is a lot worse too. This is also where I hype there basically being next to no ITE against FE (Except maybe Swift. A game has to have evasion cover a massive number of things and then have one attack be specific ITE for me to see it be ITE against FE!). So in the end, my views give the higher AS people something. Needless to say I quite like hyping the high end evade over the high end AS.
...into the nightfall.

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
Brave weapons compensate for low atk too! They're just great weapons, they help everyone.

Of course they do, and the same is true of Killer/Silver. But the high-Atk options help low-Str characters more, and the heavy, double-hit options help low-Spd characters more.

For a case in point, here's Dhyerwolf's latest table reworked with the Kitchen Sink (typically Brave Sword/Lance, but also Light Brand / Hammer for Darin and S-ranks for Nergal). Also: Limstella sits on a +2 Def Gate (effective total 26), I am allowing the 15.8 AS Oswin to double the 12 AS Limstella and Kenneth, and these numbers include WTA/D where appropriate.

Sain/Guy/ Oswin
Limstella (12 AS)- 35.6/8/37.2
Uhai- (25 AS)- 33.8/16/34.6*
* Sain and Oswin are doubled (Sain is also 2HKOed), but Uhai can't counter melee, so no weapon changes
Kenneth (12 AS)- 83.6/48/85.2
Brendan (17 AS)- 31.8/32/30.6
Darin- (15 AS)- 35.8/20/18.3
Ursula- (16 AS)- 45.8/40/38.6
Jerme (18 AS?)- 31.8/28/32.6
Lloyd- (27 AS)- 19.9/12/36.6 *
* Lloyd 2HKOs and doubles Sain and Brave Sword Guy, so I assumed Spear and Silver Sword. Oswin is doubled too, but only 4HKOed, and sticks with Brave Lance.
Linus- (19 AS)- 29.8/20/30.6 *
* Assumed Linus' default Brave Sword for triangle purposes, but am ignoring its borderline 2HKO on Guy. (His backup is a Tomahawk.)
Nergal (13 AS)- 35.8/18/18.3
Average- 38.4/24.2/36.3

If you cap damage to Kenneth by his 56 HP, averages drop to 35.6/24.2/33.3. If you require 4.0 AS to double, Oswin's average drops to 30.1. Whatever your interpretation, this simple analysis ignores factors such as Hit and Crit which generally favor Guy, so I don't intend to say that it is proof Oswin > Guy or whatnot. But I do think it demonstrates that the issue's not as clear-cut as you may think.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 05:01:03 PM »
It should probably also be noted that the kitchen sink discussion isn't complete without at least considering Filla's Might. Offensive supports also help out anyone who doubles more than anyone who doesn't. The RNG/level comments from earlier also apply... Guy is one point from doubling Uhai with Killer, Oswin 1 away from failing to double Limstella/Kenneth, Sain 1 away from failing to double Darin? (is that a Brave Sword figure?) Similar situation with Dhyer's list, though the specifics are different. Meanwhile, 1 or 2 points of str aren't that big a deal (and are covered by supports anyway).

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »
Well, getting into the kitchen sink is kind of another story anyways (because in-game versus DL worth is always going have splits like buffs coming from other directions are the like).

But as an aside (and maybe the general FE views topic would be better), I'm thinking of integrating an enhanced level of boss stat relevancy into the averages. I'm thinking that bosses should make up 25% of stats (just a gut because there are so many other randoms).

So then say the last few main bosses are worth 5, side bosses are 2 (Or using this for FE 10). Ashera/Seph/Dheggy are 5, Nasir/Gareth are 2, Levail is 4, Two Priests in previous chapter are both 2. This seems like decent balance.

Naesala- 47.4- 100% Double
Tibarn- 41.2- 95% Double
Heather- 40- 94% Double
Mia- 40- 94% Double
Stefan- 40- 94% Double
Nailah- 39.2- 92% Double
Volke- 38.9- 91% Double
Zihark- 37.6- 88% Double (89% Double, 1% Doubled by)
Lucia- 36.8- 86% Double (88% Doubled, 2% Doubled by)
Marcia- 36- 83% Double (86% Doubled, 3% Doubled by)

There's a doubled by split for the last three because that's actually a minor factor I give to RNG in terms of it moving up or down. Obviously there's only one 40 speed enemy.

The part that was 100% Double before. Obviously each FE will have different weighting (FE 8's affect will be much smaller, although going back to say Valter and increasing speed up proportionally will at least have some affect)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:44:02 PM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »
Taking FE8-9 as HM (which I suspect I do) also helps differentiate them. But yeah, doing something like that does make sense.

edit: Though in FE10, the fastest enemy is 35 (Ashera's auras), or 36 if you count Resolve!Levail, so I'm not sure who the 40 is. (Sephiran and Ashera are 32, Dheginsea and Zelgius are 30.) Nasir and Gareth both should not be fought so I wouldn't count them.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:02:00 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 12:25:32 AM »
Foiled again by Con. Didn't even realize that was a separate stat for FE 10 bosses.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 12:26:19 AM »
FE9 and 10 use Strength, actually!

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2013, 12:39:17 AM »
Hmm, Serenes Forest actually lists Cons for them; I just have to go off the topics and the Serenes Forest because that's one thing that they are not good at. Any thoughts in terms of % weighing of bosses. Does 25% seem right? Too low?
...into the nightfall.