Author Topic: Gauging of interest on music review thingey  (Read 48764 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Gauging of interest on music review thingey
« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2015, 11:33:35 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdneKLhsWOQ
Taylor Swift

Is pretty okay Taylor Swift track, but Blank Space came on after it and I was enjoying that more, so....

It was lucky to be last week, because this plays on Vevo channels for 30 seconds all the fucking time and now I hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzdIoghbFzg
Avicii

I like this.  Avicii is pretty much always well put together and the production is amaaaaazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZLJLPuv-Y
Becky G

I ... don't know?  Is this a party track turned into a work out track?  Because I think the beat is probably danceable, the lyrics and imagery is all exercise stuff and that is nothing like what I used to lift to.  Sure I like lifting to angry music with double kicks, but that isn't what I mean.  Something much faster moving worked way better even if it wasn't my track choice.  Funk works, this didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFCxiKXtKTI
Pentatonix

This is way better than their last original song you posted.  I don't think it is the song of the week, but I like "Can't Sleep Love" as a description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRTr4RYwgEQ
Italo Brothers

Way better than average party track for the week!  It isn't as good as Avicii, but not by much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlotz4lmlc4
Superfruit (Pentatonix)

I dig the delivery of this a lot, I think I like it more than the other song, buuuuut the other one is better as a song.  This is a good performance though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUYvyAY954
Lindsey Stirling

I think this is the pick for me personally, this might be entirely on the strength of Lindsay Stirling's baseline style though on top of a pretty alright song.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 11, 2015, 06:36:53 PM »

Avicii - This was okay.  Well constructed, but I just didn't find it very pleasant to listen to.  Maybe needs a certain mental tone to appreciate well?

Becky G - Adjectives coming to mind include "safe," "generic," and "fitness message."  I guess that last isn't really an adjective.

Pentatonix - Nice and fun, very chill and poppy.  Calls my attention to the neat vocal stuff going on.

Italo Brothers - Yo what is this??? Variation??  TEMPO VARIATION???   This is a song that does fun things and is fun to listen to, it is vapid club music but the type of vapid club music I can get behind.  Nice stuff.

Pentatonix 2: Pent Empire - Well, this is certainly more Pentatonix.  Like most medleys there are good parts and less good parts, and the rapid disjoint makes it hard for me to get into it more than a regular single track.  I'd love to hear the full version of whatever is going on at 1:40.  Don't know anything about the TV show.

Lindsey Stirling - Wowwwwwwww that's a lot of geek culture references in that video.  Nintendo, Final Fantasy, Aladdin, Bastion, Madoka and general magical girl anime, RWBY, Despicable Me, Touhou, Pacific Rim and general kaijuu stuff, Vocaloid, PSG, Ghibli, and that's just the obvious ones on a couple of watches.  The song itself is not all that great if I'm forcing myself to be fair - very typical pop with Lindsey's violin shredding overlaid, but her violin is awesome on everything, so I'm not convinced this is all that great for her.  It does kick itself up a notch in the last minute, though.

Lindsey Stirling > Italo Brothers > Can't Sleep Love > rest

Going juuuust by music I might actually give it to Italo Brothers here, but it's close and the video gives so much more stuff to think and talk about that LS seems a clear top.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 18, 2015, 04:30:49 AM »
So...we get another crack at picking Chvrches, but we also get another crack at picking Gloryhammer (which was also snubbed by my poor decision making).  Round out the finalists with some good K-pop, metal and a strong humor option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cBQ9DzpQRk
Up10tion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpFXXPruuqU
chvrches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qoGx8x4ltw
stratovarius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGV6bCTMM5w
gloryhammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIhEpcytL6Y
GoRemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZ3AzhY5Fo
Jessi 쎈언니

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 18, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Not listened yet, but got their album.  It is Chvrches.

Up10tion - This film clip is like if Tetsuya Nomura invented dancing.  The song doesn't really hit me anywhere, its just there.

chvrches - I don't have much to say, I went in confident this would be my pick and I wasn't shocked that it was good.  I do have something to say about Chvrches though.  I pinned down what they remind me of.  They aren't exactly like it (delivery is different, song structure is different), but they have a lot of overlap that it makes sense to me.  They remind me of Metric.  You have a solid singer and band backed by decent songwriting that knows how pop works and how to really work a synth.  Anyone that reads this and doesn't know Chvrches but like Metric or specifically Synthetica should check out Chvrches.

stratovarius - Shredlords shredding well.  Lots of the time this would get more written about it.

gloryhammer - But it was right before Rise of the Chaos Wizards from the album Space 1992 which features Green Lantiron Man shooting lazers from his chest while he sings, a hologram barbarian playing guitar and a drum warlock.  I love this a lot because it is spammy trashy speed metal mixed with symphonic stuff.  It is pretty great, but it isn't better than Chvrches

GoRemy - This is more Lamb food than I can comprehend.  I am too new at this thing and is not part of what I moved to Melbourne for.

Jessi 쎈언니 - This might be the only time you hear me say this.  I love the underwear in this film clip.  MOTHER * FUCKER and VERY EXPENSIVE.  That is pretty great.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:56:09 PM by Grefter »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 19, 2015, 09:02:12 AM »
Hm, ok, I kind-of expected you to change your mind once you saw Green Lantern fighting Jace the Mind Sculptor.  If that doesn't convince you, though, then sure, Chvrches is definitely one of my higher picks this week.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 19, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »
hahahaha, just got this back from my brother in law

Hi Kaitlyn

Just listened to Chvrches. I think that you should trust your instincts.   The first rejections were not mistakes from my perspective. Please continue to select groups other than Chvrches.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 20, 2015, 02:01:25 AM »
Go with what is good for you, like pretty much always, that's the point.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2015, 03:42:46 AM »
I do like to mix things up, though.  I mean, Chvrches was somewhere in my top 3, probably 2nd or 3rd or so, sometimes popping up to 1st depending on my mood (I don't necessarily have a clear stable ranking of these).  Realistically with no advice I probably would have picked Gloryhammer, but hey, in the last 7 picks there had been 3 metal picks, including humor metal (Alestorm) and symphonic metal (Xandria).  So like...I think it's a perfectly fine mixup.

Speaking of Alestorm, looks like they did the obvious mashup between Magnetic North and Telephone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKF2oc9h3o4

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2015, 04:14:13 AM »
I am pretty happy with everything going on there.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 25, 2015, 04:22:09 AM »
So like...apparently Duran Duran still exists.  And is actually making new music, and not Madonna level "new music"--music I actually find worth listening to.  Plot twist!  (Lots of solid candidates this week, but that's one I wasn't expecting).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP53xqqPorE
전진

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmWBrN7QV6Y
Lady Gaga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tGHafSSpI
Duran Duran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0sZfRZ3f8
Smooth McGroove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laafU1ZgpmE
Rob Thomas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uLI6BnVh6w
Elle King
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:23:41 AM by metroid composite »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 25, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »
전진 - This looks like the PTA rifled through their kids wardrobes then decided to make a film clip instead of having a monthly meeting.  Also not sure why the lead's accessories have terrible continuity between shots.  His scarf and ... wraps?  Fingerless gloves?  disappear between shots.  Sometimes he only has one of either and sometimes both.  Sometimes none.  It is weird.  I can see why it is catchy but does nothing for me.

Lady Gaga - Pre song expectation.  She still needs to make that piano ballad solo album.  It will be well written and over produced.

Actual response.  oh okay she finally listened and then wrote the exact kind of thing i like and fake jeff goldblum rapes some girls.

this is probably the best track of the week and I am glad it is written but can't tell you to link it to your family.  I am glad it exists even if it wasn't a song I like but it IS a song I like.

My only point on the production is that the strings swell too much at the end and could actually have been mixed down I think to just smash the end with the vocals maybe? 

An album in this style please, thanks in a advance.

Duran Duran - I am just as surprised as you are at a new track.  I am not remotely surprised to hear you like them though.  They were definitely a pillar of 80s pop and they weren't talentless hacks.  They aren't close to like Petshop Boys, but they definitely know how to put together a track.  Shame it was this week.  It has a funky bass line that dances well.

Smooth McGroove - Pretty confident this is just there on the strenght of Megadude 2 track rather than the acapella version?  Might just be me putting my own interpretation onto it but chip tunes have such a limited instrument range that acapella just feels like doing the same thing.  Doing them well with full instrumentation tends to be a bit more impressive because it is turning something that is so super focussed and tightly put together and bringing so much more range to it while trying to maintain the elegance that makes so many of the classic tunes.  Like yeah it is an impressive amount of work, it is a pile of editing and mixing to do it, but none of it results in something that I wouldn't get for listening to the original track.

Rob Thomas - Why has Rob Thomas become Train?  Also this film clip is twee as fuck.  I would loved it after the first verse when it jumped back into the chorus "Here's my recipe for you" we had a sick bass drop and it became a dubstep track.

Elle King - Huh.  I don't know what to think of this.  It isn't the strongest because I think that Duran Duran and Lady Gaga are both better, but this is definitely the one I have the most brain full of ideas about (and not just because I am sure there is people that are all "OMG OBJECTIFICATION OF TEH MENZ" about it that miss all the different body types of men in the back half of the video and all that implies...)

Musically I think it hits me just in an uncanny valley of genres and things I like (and just edges on country enough to make me leery).  It is pretty old school bluesy rocky stuff musically but has that wall of sound of later 70s stuff that I love as well (Dirty dirty guitar tones unf).  Content wise it is also pretty close to Long Blondes (but definitely less smart and deliciously bleak.  This is very direct and repeats itself while Long Blondes starts with one innuendo and then drives it home via repetition and constantly building on it).  Rather than being that bleak though it reminds me of Crystal Gayle's track on a duet album with Tom Waits Old Boy Friends, though it is less about how they always come back, but how those histories never really leave you.

It sort of sits in a weird place on the spectrum in the centre of a bunch of stuff I like but not close enough to any of them to make me go "Oh this is like all these things I love".  It is weird.

Alex and I have been discussing Gaga a bit.  Not sure what do personally, interested in what Alexchan ultimately posts.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 25, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »

Jun Jin - I like the heavy bass driven parts, which is most of them.  I don't like the Wowowowowow bit.  Was going to say it felt a bit dry until the rapping finally kicked in, then it didn't anymore.  I don't want to listen to this repeatedly, but it works pretty well as a single pulsey track.

Lady Gaga - So uh, super message song.  The overall message is good and important and there is obviously a pretty strong argument for picking this for a writeup.  I didn't really like it as a song to listen to, though.  The video is incredibly uncomfortable, but it's meant to be, so that's fine in my book.  But discounting that and just listening... it's still not very pleasant to the ears.  The instrumentation and composition feel simple, and the vocals don't convey much tone to me other than vague negativity.  But the lyrics are split half and half between condescension and positivity/trying to move on, and the whole package doesn't mesh very well to me. 

It feels like it's too raw to be listenable for many abuse survivors, but also alienating towards people who haven't been in those situations, leaving me wondering where is the audience that would actually derive enjoyment from listening to this?  Of course, Grefter is talking on IRC as I write this, and it turns out he loves it, so there is the answer.  Anyway, as an intentionally uncomfortable message song it is pretty successful I think. 

I keep going back and forth on whether to talk about my personal feelings on the message.  It is very hard to separate the song from the politics here, which is a conundrum in itself.  Personally I came away from it negatively and that is probably coloring the rest of my comments.  Sexual assault is awful, and should be universally condemned, and people should be educated about it.  "You don't understand until it happens to you" is... not a message that accomplishes much on that front to me.  Some people think that this *is* an important message, that there is a large endemic problem with majority voices talking over and choking out voices of people who have personally experienced sexual assault (or trauma or racism or just experiencing life in a different culture) and that discourse on subjects should be more exclusionary of "random majority people who don't understand" and privilege voices people closer to the topic in question.  I've spent an hour revising what I'm saying about this one song though so I'll try and spare savage debatery time and just say that I don't agree that that's a very positive or productive way to take on issues, I'm disappointed when it's glorified as a viewpoint, and I wish this song was more focused on the core message of identifying, explaining and condemning sexual assault.  The video is pretty good at doing that, but the lyrics without the video aren't very good at it, IMO.  This is all just totally my personal thoughts and please shoot me if I should not ramble like that in Song Review Funhouse.

Duran Duran - Very trippy.  I feel like I'm listening to a TV commercial several times on repeat.  Seems a bit long for what it is, and not a lot of substance that hits my mind.  Definitely feels like an anachronism, that's pretty neat.

Smooth McGroove - It's pretty hard to ever go wrong with the McGroove.  He does exactly one thing and has honed that thing to perfection.  Because of that, and because I listen to all his stuff, a track has to be kind of unusual somehow to get a reaction from me these days.  Metal Man is not unusual, in fact it's very simple and feels like a relatively trivial production for him.  Starting with an NES track does half the planning work for him, because the track is already written in individual lines for the soundchip, and there's no added SFX or camera work or unusual range or anything special going on.  It is just SmoothBot, this guy could totally be a Vocaloid.  That's pretty weird, that I'm essentially hating on a near perfect track just because I am familiar with the artist and expect *beyond* perfection from him now to be impressed.  But so it goes.

Bob Tommy - Super saccharine romance cutepop.  This is the American white male equivalent of japanese singing bikini robot girls. 

Elle King - Country with an edge and a side dose of Greek wrestling, eh.  This is very strange and feels subversive both on the musical and lyrical fronts.  Ah, I see Grefter broke it down well.  Good stuff.  Still not much to my personal taste but it is intellectually interesting!

.... I have no ranking this week.  Everything is pretty good.  Rob Thomas and Duran Duran are probably the weakest two to me, but there's still a writeup case for DD.  Elle King and Jun Jin are both nice strong pieces.  Smooth is standard McGroove.  And then the Gaga piece I have no idea whatsoever how to even begin fairly comparing it with anything else here.  I guess if really pressed I would say JJ or Elle are the best tracks, but they also may have the least writeup fodder, and Gaga is a wildcard that could be executive decisioned into an auto pick or auto not-picking-this and I wouldn't blink either way.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 26, 2015, 07:41:33 AM »
For what it's worth...my internal rankings were something like

1. Elle King (but I added her late so I wasn't sure if this was just "novelty of a song I haven't listened to 6 times already")

2. 전진 which...k-pop has this tendency to be clearly high quality, but not necessarily writeup bait or something that will stick in the mind of audiences

3. Smooth McGroove (and yeah, the quality of the megaman piece is probably a big part of this, but to be fair I didn't know the piece)

4. Duran Duran (started near #1, and kinda drifted lower.  This was an A range track, because I flagged it very early as something that was locked for the finals).

5. Rob Thomas - has all the essential qualities of K-pop.

6. Lady Gaga (Another A rank track, as I felt it was worth considering for the finals.  It wasn't necessarily the best musically, though).

7-10 were like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czl-D7YTqrs
The song is called "Tallest Girl" -- this clearly makes it awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKquDyJYQWg
Children of Bodom.  Seriously the best fucking opening.  But like...it's not just that I dislike the vocal style--the guitar work is just not as good from about 1:20-2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3kFuhegvrI
Cruels. Pretty unique, doesn't really have a clear genre, but wasn't better than Gaga (this was a pretty solid #7 though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IjYhPyUfG4
Worlds End Press.  Somewhat unique, but less unique than Cruels

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 02, 2015, 06:53:31 AM »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 02, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »
mamamoo - I like this, I tend to liek mamamoo tracks a fair bit though.  I dig the use of jazz tones mixed in with a rap hype track.  K-Pop at its best when it is mixing weird disparate elements.

valshe - The track honestly feels like pretty stock pop metal.  It fits the film clip though because the film clip suggests that Final Fantasy has become a human being and now makes music. (And yes it is better than FF13)

Kygo - Huh, this one is odd.  I like it, but it also doesn't really stir much in me?  It is pretty minimalist and well put together.  It sounds good and is pretty chill.  I just don't have much to say about it?  I like it a lot more than this suggests.

Disclosure ft Lorde - Like I was expecting to like this one more, but I don't actually.  I like Lorde as always, but I think the Kygo track is just better put together in a similar style.  Lorde is good as always, but eh, it feels like it could have used more of the less is more that Kygo track has.  It is pretty good though.

Ailee - I am pretty sure I did this mission in GTA3 or Saint's Row 2.  I don't think much of the song.  It's okay?  I like the choice of instruments, it just isn't a song I care for.

Alessia Cara - Hmmmm now this speaks to me more than it probably should.  I definitely remember those situations when I was younger and did social things with different crowds than I would these days.  I am not sure I really think it is super great to wallow in that feeling of not belonging in a place and just avoiding situations.  That said in the immediate moment?  Yeah I would fucking pull out and bail as well, finding ways to distance myself.  It is a decent track.

I uh don't really feel strongly on any here.  I think it is a solid week but I don't really have much to throw into the ring other than Mamamoo is my favourite and then it is either Kygo because it is the next best one or Alessia because it is the one most like me.  So... I dunno?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 02, 2015, 03:45:19 PM »

mamamoo - Interesting mix of stuff.  Some rap, some jazz, some swing, some 1950s America, some modern America, some modern Korea.  It gives me a TV commercial vibe.  The blend doesn't quite get there for me, though, it's like a salad that's tasty but you wind up just separating into separate piles of ingredients and eating one after another.  Interesting but lacking on enjoyment of listening.

valshe - This on the other hand is enjoyable to listen to, but not very interesting to me.  Great voice and great sound quality, but very stock sounding composition and goes on too long.  It's like it wants to be a Persona opening track, but comparing it to Meguro is a clear illumination of its shortcomings.

kygo - I like the overly long rests, they bring the listener's attention to the silences and general minimalism of the song.  It's also a bit shocking to recognize the backing as chipper dance pop electronica.  Very nice blending of tone between that and the more sombre mood of the vocals and video, and of the piano vs electronic elements.  Yeah this is a really neat track.

disclosure ft. lorde - There's some nice stuff going on with rhythm here.  Coming right on the heels of the kygo track, though, this feels like it's aiming for the same feel but more clumsily, without any subtlety.  Fire and sex are jammed in the audience's face to make sure you get the point.  It's not bad, but suffers from the placement comparison.

ailee - This was okay.  Too cheerful for the video to make sense.  Didn't leave me with any lasting impression at all.

alessia cara - Very strange song to me.  It's all about this less social vibe, but to me, the very production itself, seeing "AlessiaCaraVEVO" on the video border and hearing in the song that it is a big studio production, undermines that and makes it feel less genuine.  That is just an idiosyncratic reaction, though.  The song is more targeted at the Grefter demographic and his comments on it are super neat.

kygo > alessia/mamamoo > lorde/valshe/ailee?  Strong week, pretty tight groupings.  Kygo is on top for me for sure.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 03, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
mamamoo - Didn't even finish listening to the song. The random talking bits annoyed me too much, probably because I just find that voice nasal and unpleasant. Song was nice, but those parts just took away from it too much.

valshe - This was fun. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more of their stuff.

kygo - Really good background music? Minimalist is a good way to describe it, I guess. The song doesn't really go anywhere or do anything, but it's also poppy and not boring to listen to.

disclosure ft lorde - It's okay? I really don't have much else to say about it. Not bad, not great. It's just kinda there.

ailee - as usually, I dislike long intros before the song even starts. Once it started, the song was fun.

alessia cara - I definitely get the lyrics, yay social anxiety. Not a fan of the music part of it, though. I'm glad a song like this exists, but it's not something I'd listen to intentionally I think.

For me it pretty cleanly goes: valshe > kygo > ailee > alessia > disclosure > mamamoo
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 09, 2015, 03:59:58 AM »
Kind of surprised how much people liked Kygo last week.  It's a song that just squeezed in at 6th for me.  (Seemed different enough to be worth consideration; ended up going for writeup bait instead).

Anyhow, this week's finalists!  I am leaning towards one particular song at the moment, although I doubt Alex/Grefter will be able to guess which one it is.  We'll see if they even like it >_>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bljFUfIshM
Avicii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesiLNFqwBk
lil boi & basik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC3MIbs36IY
Phantasma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Vfb868E1s
Jasmine Thompson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cVD9jQZje8
melodyday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isUudT58Xfk
Oh my girl
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:03:47 AM by metroid composite »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 09, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »
Avicii

#westcoastbestcoast.mp3

It is pretty good musically, it reminds me of Zombies OST like I comment on a lot, just because of the synth piano smashed up against synth tones on fast dance tracks.  It is a good dumb dance track like Avicii always does.

You are definitely going full California migrant though.

lil boi & basik

I like this a bit more when the rap is more rough, it reminds me of Typhoon 24's Like a Foojin that I picked up on from Beck soundtrack.  Also sounds a bit like something from Payday 2 (which I think sounds better) so I am a bit biased against it.

Phantasma

This is what you listen when you are in the Dreamlands of Unknown Kadath, riding on mystical creatures and drinking strange mead given to you by friendly insect men

I like this a fair bit, it is probably my pick, but definitely not the strongest thing of the type of track you have bumped into (it doesn't even have a dude playing a fishbone Viol).

Jasmine Thompson

I nearly want this to be about refugees, but unfortunately it is just a love song.

melodyday

There is a new Sonic game out?  Also the idea of a car driving as frenetically as a speedometer displaying as an osciliscope does is terrifying.

Oh my girl

Okay, so I want to talk a looooot about this one.  There is a crazy amount of imagery going on in this film clip.  They use of the olds mobile car and the members of the group all wearing dresses that reminisce 50s housewife style dresses (with sliiiightly expose midriffs) in all white.  Then the girl wearing the Red Riding Hood cloak.  Soooo much about Virginity/Maindenhood etc going on.  I dig the fashion but find the imagery really weird.  I don't really care for or about the song (its alright?), but the thing that freaks me out is that there is another song called Closer.  It is not remotely close to being about purity in anyway.  The Closer I am thinking of is like the pinnacle of 90s as the 90s.  Not in an ironic OH MY GODS THIS IS SO 90s, as an actual expression of the cultural zeitgeist at the time and being a solid piece of art that represented the state of a lot of music AND music videos at the time.  Bleak as fuck and so much money thrown at them, the avant garde of the time were really the cutting edge of Music videos (Seriously, Michelle Gondry doing music videos in that era).  Musically, well it is a Nine Inch Nails song off Downward Spiral.  It is one of the greatest albums of the decade that is just a complete package end to end, everything working together and simultaneously being pretty great by themselves.  Being put together from the scraps of Industrial while being safe enough musically (if not instrumentally) to appeal to a big audience (of disillusioned youths) and being both rebellious and angsty but again safely on emessage for the target market (again of disillusioned youths) to be huge.  The imagery used is simultaneously the Most Alexchan thing ever pre-dating a lot of things that are sort of emblematic of "Alex-y" things.  On the other hand it is also about fucking and the first line is "You let me violate you, you let me descrate you, you let me penetrate you." so ... while certainly something I am certain has been a thing Alex has processed is also not really something I associate with him.  What the film clip does have though is someone throwing up the horns with some eggs spinning on their fingertips, a crucified monkey, Trent Reznor posing in front of a butchered cow carcass spread out like angel wings and a pigs head spinning around on some clockwork machinery.  SO you know, it is still LiterallyAlex.mp4.

So it is a super weird counterpoint.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 09, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
avicii - mostly inoffensive background music. fun enough, but overstays its welcome by about a full minute.

lil boy & basik - generally not a rap fan, though I can tolerate it a bit better when I can't understand the lyrics usually. This...is still just kinda meh. Generic "look at me I'm so awesome" rap. Heard plenty like it, it doesn't stand out any more or less.

phantasma - this I like. I'm unsure what to say about it other than "hey I like this", I am terrible at describing what about music makes me like it(while i can cleanly say what about music makes me DISlike it. Go figure)

jasmine thompson - "it is just a love song" is a pretty good way to describe it. It's a good love song, but doesn't stand out.

melodyday - this is fun. I could definitely see this being used as a background track in, well, a sonic game or a racing game of some sort. It would add to the atmosphere really well. Whether I like this or phantasma more depends entirely on my mood.

oh my girl - I feel like I miss alot about this song by not watching the video, but so it goes. Songs need to be able to stand up on their own without the music video, and this...doesn't. Pretty instrumentals, but the lyrics just feel like the words "I'm closer" repeated x100, which is kinda boring.

My order for the week is: Phantasma = melodyday >>>> avicii > jasmine thompson >>>> oh my girl > lil boy & basik

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »

Pretty sick today so these'll be brief.

Avicii - Super bland and light.  Captures the "substanceless Cali hipster" vibe?  No lasting impression.

lil boi & basik - Feels designed to be movie music.  I can envision it working in a movie.  As a standalone song, it's lacking the sort of gravitas and confidence that self-aggrandizement songs need.  I think this is what Grefter is referring to as well when he mentions it needing to be "harder?"  The singer is not actually rapping about himself, he is rapping a metaphorical narration for someone else and the difference is audible. 

Phantasma - If I was given the description of "Mild Symphonic Metal with a Celtic flavoring" this is exactly the song I would imagine.  It doesn't stand out as unique or forceful, but competently hits the beats it tries to hit.  The only bad thing I can say is the 3:20 lull is too soft and makes me want the song to just end there.  I would guess this is the song MC was leaning towards?

Jasmine Thompson - Ah, a true classic.  Freddie and Bowie go for an earnest, universal message and knock it out of the park.  It could be a dark and intense song to match the lyrics but it isn't, and that's the beautiful part.  ... oh wait, that's just the song I immediately looked up on Youtube after hearing the first two words of this one.  This uh, is some sort of anthem for the completely unaware early-20s women Survivor likes to cast and kick off around the merge because they have no awareness of or reach to anything beyond themselves.

melodyday - This is surprisingly minimalist for K-pop, and I hear some unusual motifs in there.  Video game influence for sure, not just Sonic type stuff, it winds up sounding a lot like... Meguro?  Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to hear this as a Persona 5 town track.  Very well made, good use of dynamics and a nice beat in the back.  I dig this, for sure.

Oh my girl - Good song, great video.  As Gate mentioned, this is not a track that works very well without context, it is very much a concept/story song like Sound Horizon or what have you.  If I just heard it on the radio, I'd think the singing is pretty but that's it.  However... musical narrative context is kind of my brain's thing.  I need that for just about EVERY song in order for music to click, and this one provides ample opportunities to obtain it, both from the video and the text description.  Once context is obtained, the song unfolds into something more than the sum of its parts.  I could just requote everything Grefter said, I think some comparison to the NIN track has to be intended too, and that all just makes it better to think about and enjoy.  This is proooobably not the best song to pitch to MC's family (though a valiant effort could certainly be made) but it is certainly the song I am going to remember and listen to more than once.

Oh my girl > melodyday > Phantasma >>> lil boi > Avicii > The eighth person voted out of Survivor: Palm Beach is Jasmine.  Jasmine, that's three votes, that's enough, you need to bring me your torch.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 10, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »
For the record, the one I had already been leaning towards purely off of listening (I barely watch the music videos when I'm at work) was Oh My Girl.  Didn't have a strong reason for it or anything, just liked the harmonies.  (Which is interesting because it's a bit of a slow song, and I usually tend to lean towards something a bit faster like dance or metal).  Hearing that it gets a whole ton better with the video and context...yeah, sure, I'll lock in that pick.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2015, 04:44:08 AM »
How does Matty B keep sneaking into my top 6?  Not on purpose I swear. >_>.  Also the first occurence of a Mandarin song in the top 6 I think.  Overall strongish week maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhUupQzFySw
Akdong Musician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1eKYGZETdI
Christina Novelli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBxjC9w_Cj0
Ellie Goulding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwLRQn61oUY
Demi Lovato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4LpEXLq_qs
黃齡

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JIOXOdAJcY
n.a.s.a.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »

Akdong Musician - Nice percussion!  Cute and light, maybe a bit too light, some parts feel a bit empty.  Came and went without affecting me much.

Christina Novelli - The first song felt a little bit empty - this one feels *very* empty.  Listening to it actually weirded me out and made me think surely there had to be more to the song.  Annnd then I looked up the description and I was right, the original is a trance track.  So, yeah, I don't think the acoustic mix works well at all.  The vocals are good, but not good enough to solo carry mid jungle ward tower dive or whatever the kids call it these days. 

Ellie Goulding - Finally we have a perfect example of a track that makes me just go "Generic, next."  Even the lyrics are scattershot: vague sexual allusion, vague dance allusion, vague relationship allusion, find one metaphor and one simile and repeat.

Demi Lovato - Mmm.  I like the heavy brass and emphasis on the rhythm lines.  This is a pure percussion+brass track, which is something I didn't even initially realize.  All the different instruments (including finger snaps and vocals) are used very well.  All that said, the song still didn't grab me too much.  It feels like a buildup that just stalls out and never changes or truly breaks, just repeats the buildup louder.  I guess that does match the lyrics, though, so that's a point in favor.  Certainly interesting.

黃齡 - Ooh.  This is a really nice classical noir-ish thing.  Dramatic, emotional, haunting, beautifully structured.  I'm searching for things to say, it's just really nice and well made.  Dynamics!  Piano!  Breath as instrument!  One interjection of angry guy shooting someone, to further the narrative!  Probably a slam dunk pick for me, my personal tastes will take this a hundred times over pop or dance beats.

NASA feat. DMX and Kagamine Rin - This is also Alexbait but not as good.  Too much buzz.  I get that they're going for middle eastern instrumentation, and it works well for higher pitches, but when they pitch it down to try and make a bassline, the lower tones come out sounding like a kazoo and it just doesn't work well.  That in turn hurts the song's progression, since the kazoo-bass segments are the main transition markers.  The core of the song is very nice, but those couple of poor decisions hold it back to me.

Interesting week.  First three tracks had me questioning the purported strength, last three lived up to the hype though!  Probably highly exhibits my genre preferences too.

黃齡 >>> NASA > Demi >>>>>>>>>>>>> Christina Novelli radio edit > Akdong > Ellie Goulding > Novelli acoustic ver.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2015, 12:35:41 PM »
Akdong Musician - I like this a fair bit, but less than I like the outfits.  Only part of it is the Oracle outfit.  It is hollow, but K-Pop and depth don't intersect heaps.

Christina Novelli - I disagree with Alex here a little bit, I think it is a pretty damned good vocal/acoustic mix and for what it was it has way more depth than it has any right to. buuuuuuuuuuuut it is damned good vocal/acoustic mix that is pretty deep for a trance track.  So it is an acoustic song that is pushing for some emotional drive and it is from a music genre that is built to be short repetitions over and over again with no real room to move.  I am not saying you can't do a lot in that space (Daft Punk exist after all), but you need to lean into electronic music's strengths to do it and converting it to an acoustic track isn't playing to those strengths at all.  An expanded version of the song that had another verse or two and some kind of bridge in there instead of just looped chorus would go far and could still have kept the original feel of the track.  It is a thing of potential, with nearly all of the potential untapped.

Ellie Goulding - This speaks a bit about my previous point I guess.  This song is pretty much "Hey you are great for some reason :D", but it is backed by a pretty good track.  It works.  It is alright.  It is catchy.  It also doesn't do much for me.

Demi Lovato - This started off as a level of Payday 2 I have probably played 50 times then turned out to actually be that Hunger Games rip off (Condensurgent?).  It really doesn't hold a candle to Dark Angel.  I think I like the drum line, but think the vocal delivery works very well, something like 80% of the track is done in harmony (with herself, so either a backing track or much more likely if we are being real here; hand done by a producer), it ironically comes off as not that confident in the vocals to carry the track.  Also I guess I am glad someone tried it, but no, we don't need Inception horns in pop music.  That was kind of obnoxious.

黃齡 - Now obviously I know very little about actual singing technique OR Korean (it is in Korean right?  The movie was filmed in Malaysia apparently), but I do recognise that the singing is really really breathy.  In singing in English I know that would kind of be looked down on because it distorts the note (and honestly is probably kind of shitty to record).  I have no idea if it is a product of some of the enunciation or whatever, but it is unusual (and points to the song being a bit less produced than lots of the Korean stuff we listen to here).  The film clip was distracting because I would watch that movie.  Googling stuff I found out why it was so distracting.  I know the lead (Jang Hyuk) from a movie (Volcano High) I have seen a few times because my brother found it fun and it is something we had lying around.  It is a fun dumb fight movie.  I would watch him do a super serious crime movie as well.  It is an okay song with a fun film clip.  You are getting a lot of OST tracks in your top lately, which is interesting.

n.a.s.a. - I like the buzz, that is a damn good use of your DMX (could use some barking though).  I also dig the use of a clean female vocalist in your anthem that leads into the break (instead of the chorus!).  Also noteworthy, we have the anthem START at 1:30 and the break at 2:00ish.  We broke the formula!  The track is better for it!  Starting the anthem at the same time your stock party track is having its break let them do something completely different with the track and break it up much more.  See how we have a completely different thing after the break?  We have a bridge instead of just a return straight to the chorus.  Aaaaand THERE was the barking. YESSSSSSSSSSSS.  This this this is hands down easily the pick.  I like it purely from a song writing perspective.  Then you introduce instrument choices.  We have great dirty synth, beeps but mixed in with a DMX and if not real instruments at least tones of "middle eastern" instruments (I am not going to pretend to which family of instruments they fall under).  It is a great fusion of styles and is in a well written track.  All of this works.  This is easy easy easy my favourite of the week.