Register

Author Topic: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.  (Read 26193 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.
« Reply #275 on: October 10, 2015, 01:17:55 AM »
Mom's moving back to my hometown next year. I'll be living entirely on my own for the first time in my life.

I don't know what the hell to say.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 10, 2015, 03:25:31 AM »
My response is, you're in you're late 20s and you still lived with your mom?

The independence will be nice. Enjoy it.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 10, 2015, 06:29:47 AM »
NotMiki:  Good work getting through law school and the bar exams.  Unfortunately bad bosses are everywhere...they just happen to be worse when in an already higher-stress occupation (I am firmly convinced that my boss for the last 6 months of my tour to Afghanistan suffered from disassociative identity disorder and had damage to his temporal lobe, leaving only the ability to swear and speak in tongues).  What type of tax work do you get to work on?  Purely personal income tax, or do you get to dabble in partnership and corporate tax areas as well?  I loved tax law...probably because it was almost entirely rules driven and not patchwork random judicial opinions.

Seconding the "independence is nice" for Snow.  Just make sure you learn some life skills (like....laundry!) first!  I say that half jokingly: after seeing countless people away from home for the first time living in a clueless manner, you can no longer assume people just know basic skills like laundering their clothes, or taking trash out of the home into a trash bin.  Yeah.  You don't want to be that guy.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 10, 2015, 06:41:09 AM »
Hey dude, glad you are still doing well.  Welcome back.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 10, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »
I loved tax law...probably because it was almost entirely rules driven and not patchwork random judicial opinions.

But don't you want to be on the cutting edge of civil law?!?!!?! (I work in a clerk's office now, sooo.) I remember you loathed tort in law school, so not surprised you have that opinion now.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 10, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »

Since graduation, sharing bills and supporting her in household economy since I entered the workforce. Also caring for her to a degree as well. it's just sorta weird.

Also, housekeeping basics aren't a problem, college taught me enough. I haven't been living in my parents' basement, after all.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 01:21:31 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 10, 2015, 04:38:56 PM »
What type of tax work do you get to work on?  Purely personal income tax, or do you get to dabble in partnership and corporate tax areas as well?  I loved tax law...probably because it was almost entirely rules driven and not patchwork random judicial opinions.

Partnership tax, but I'm still a total dunce at it.  What I mostly do is commercial real estate work - drafting operating agreements, doing due diligence on construction contracts, loan agreements, title and survey, etc.

Also, regrettably, our area of tax is quite ambiguous at the moment.   Federal historic rehabilitation tax credits, which are our main business, are mostly about shoehorning deals into a safe harbor the IRS came up with last year (following a court case that nearly killed the industry).  It is...well, it's nice that mostly we grapple with the meaning of a single revenue procedure, but that procedure is not a masterpiece of careful drafting, so we're dealing with a lot of uncertainty.  The whole federal rehabilitation tax credit industry is.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:43:28 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 10, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »

Since graduation, sharing bills and supporting her in household economy since I entered the workforce. Also caring for her to a degree as well. it's just sorta weird.

Also, housekeeping basics aren't a problem, college taught me enough. I haven't been living in my parents' basement, after all.

Isn't this much more common in Brazil, anyhow? I know it is for a lot of South America.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 10, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »
It is pretty common, especially in arrangements like mine. In practice, mom's closer to a roommate than anything else. I pay half the bills at home and help her with chores. Her moving means a tighter budget, but that I can manage.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
Yeah, from what I understand, America is fucking weird for kicking its kids out at 18 in a lot of cases, and much of South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia think we're crazy and mean spirited, which, culturally, we are!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #285 on: October 12, 2015, 06:11:44 AM »
I don't think there's that much kicking out. Most kids -want- to leave at 18. I certainly wanted to. I mean, my parents and I have a great relationship, but I wanted to get my own place as soon as I was able. Didn't happen until 20, but still.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 12, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »
I didn't move out until I was 25. Granted, waiting until I'd paid off my car and student loan was probably the responsible decision.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #287 on: October 12, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
I'd say that there's a definite stigma about living with your parents after high school in the States, which I get the impression isn't really a thing in some places.  So while it's actually rare for folks to kick their kids out, there's a general sense that they should and those who don't are being too soft on them, despite this being the majority (and only growing what with there being fewer and fewer middle class-type jobs since the late 80s or so.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 12, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »
True, it's very much a cultural thing. The majority of Japanese college students and even 20-something adults I know live with their parents. I asked this one girl why she was still living with her parents at 27, and her response was basically, "Why wouldn't I be?"

This is one thing I'm pretty sure Americans get right though, although yes it is the much more expensive lifestyle if you don't have roommates. But I'd much rather live with friends than I would with parents? I mean, depending on the friends.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 12, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
Western Europe is similar to America about this. I startef living on my own at 17.
In France we have a pretty well known movie called Tanguy about a guy who still lives with his parents at 27 , perfectly happy, and his parents finding him incredibly obnoxious and wanting him out, but feeling ashamed about the whole thing. It's great.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2015, 02:41:52 AM »
True, it's very much a cultural thing. The majority of Japanese college students and even 20-something adults I know live with their parents. I asked this one girl why she was still living with her parents at 27, and her response was basically, "Why wouldn't I be?"

This is one thing I'm pretty sure Americans get right though, although yes it is the much more expensive lifestyle if you don't have roommates. But I'd much rather live with friends than I would with parents? I mean, depending on the friends.

I think we got it right to a degree. It's good because being away from your parents makes it a lot easier to actually become a functioning adult. It's causes a more global failure in that it can be incredibly wasteful and you lose a lot of benefits of community living (because you don't live with friends by the time that community living tends to reap the best rewards). I suspect that dwindling resources in the future could prompt a change in U.S. culture at some point in the future.
...into the nightfall.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 13, 2015, 03:42:57 AM »
Phone goes off.  Look at the caller ID and assume it's that telemarketing machine that been repeatedly stalking me.  Activate kill mode.

Turns out it's someone I know and consider a friend.  Oh #^$#&!.  This will be messy to clean up.  Will start with apologizing and go from there.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 13, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
I think we got it right to a degree. It's good because being away from your parents makes it a lot easier to actually become a functioning adult. It's causes a more global failure in that it can be incredibly wasteful and you lose a lot of benefits of community living (because you don't live with friends by the time that community living tends to reap the best rewards). I suspect that dwindling resources in the future could prompt a change in U.S. culture at some point in the future.

More or less 100% my own sentiments/predictions, give-or-take. If you CAN move out, that's great. Forcing yourself when you probably can't is a great way to live in debt forever.
~~~~

SPEAKING of debt forever, I won the major part of my Unemployment appeal, and, I'm PRETTY sure I'm going to get about four thousand dollars in the near future. (How many times have I said that during this process?)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 13, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »
Wait what? You've been in an unemployment lawsuit?

EDIT: Blow all 4K on FFRK pulls. Show Magetastic who is boss

EDIT: Or was it Magic Fanatic? Pretend I said the correct person with the same goddamn name.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:05:18 AM by Makkotah »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 13, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
4k would equal uh 139 11-pulls. Which does put in perspective how overpriced they are. Dear god, FFRK is so evil.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 13, 2015, 03:28:04 PM »
Yup. I'll be honest, I was tempted to do one paid 11-pull from the SSB fest a few weeks ago. Then I saw that it was 3000 yen and reaffirmed my vow that those fuckers won't get any of my money even though I've grown quite fond of the game (in spite of its evil, evil predatory practices)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 13, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »
[size=10000000000000000pt]. . .[/size]
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 13, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »
Grown Ups 2 cost 80 millions to make.

4k is only 1/20 000ths of that, so you can definitely afford to throw 4k on FFRK guys

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 13, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »

We're starting to see a trend of continuing to live with ones parents at this point simply because not doing so in a lot of areas is becoming increasingly stupid simply due to rent costs. It is just way more intelligent to tank living at home for a few years, save a substantial amount of money as a result, and then be able to put that towards an actual home instead of renting for the rest of your damn life.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 13, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »
I'm cool with people who live with their parents for a long time, but if at 20 you decide to not be independant just to save money to buy a house later, you are way too uncool to be my friend, you dork