Author Topic: An Aesthetic Discussion Spanning 17 Years - Andrew vs Pokemon - DAILY UPDATES!  (Read 44138 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: An Aesthetic Discussion Spanning 17 Years - Andrew versus Pokemon
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2015, 05:10:15 PM »
Biased Andrew. 3/5

I demand ethics in my pokemon games journalism

#NotYourPokeshield
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2015, 04:49:29 AM »
I personally kind of like Golem, but I agree he's terrible as part of Geodude's line.

The Rapidash score is in fact, quite shocking.

Also, totally a 4/5 design at -least-. If Gen 1 did one thing right, it was its Fire-Type designs. Later gens are more arguable. Well, and Magmar. That's... questionable, but apparently it and Electabuzz have some ridiculous number of fans.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »
Well, and Magmar. That's... questionable, but apparently it and Electabuzz have some ridiculous number of fans.

For the record, so does Nicholas Cage.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2015, 08:40:20 PM »
Huh, I like Tentacruel and Golem quite a bit.  Graveler's a total 1/5 to me though.  Horses... "completely normal horse but with fire instead of hair" does nothing for me, but I guess that's my personal preference for Pokemon to not directly mimic real animals.  (No fan of Arbok and Pidgey and such either.)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »
Yeah, no.  Like the Andies, I like the Geodude line less as it goes along.  It starts great, Graveller is okay, and Golem just does not work.  It just looks like something stuck inside a rock, and not a third tier badass.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2015, 10:40:24 PM »
We have to break up Andy.  Being wrong about literally every single Pokemon ever created is one thing.  Being wrong about Geodude I can even forgive.  Being objectively wrong about Abra line?  I can't even pretend to love you any more.

Edit also Golem is literally >:D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:48:22 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2015, 02:16:32 AM »
Late, but never noticed until I bothered to look at them side by side how different Machamp and Machoke are (besides the obvious four arms) and yeah, Machoke clearly superior in that regard.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2015, 11:46:01 PM »
Magnemite: I think, this is my favorite looking "constructed" Pokemon by far? Captures elements of being made while being abstract enough to look like a creature, basically. Not a lot to say for as much as I like it. Just, despite being a ball bearing, two magnets, and three screws, it looks like something that might exist in the pokemon world as a wild creature. Also another good example of enough detail to not look dull, but not so busy that it looks stupid. 5/5

Magneton: Consider it a bonus from just liking Magnemite more and giving more credit to the trio design looking better here. These things look like they should be connected, while Dugtrio is just sort of a group that hangs around together. 4/5

Farfetch'd: He works. I dunno. It's a good looking bird, coloration works well, shape is nice. Leek is weird, but it beats a goddamn spoon. Unfortunately the design just doesn't excite me. 3/5

Doduo: Two-headed kiwi with a neck. Ironically looking up a kiwi to check if they had necks weakened my opinion of Doduo a bit. Kiwis are adorable. Also, this will mark the one-billionth bird with brown feathers. And this is a huge problem in gen 1 (that will be ironic later when I start complaining about MORE COLORS): there are a few colors that get used a lot (brown and purple in particular). Anyhow, like Farfetch'd, it's a passable design but not exciting me. 3/5

Dodrio: Man, I never noticed how much Dodrio steals from other designs. Look at that red tail stolen from Pidgeotto! Standard fiercer evolution improvement, but I think the additional details make Dodrio look really busy (and it has that weird black skin thing that Fearow has). The "I don't give a fuck" head is great, though. 3/5.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2015, 01:57:54 AM »
Magneton kind of works because of the mono-eye on Magnemite. It already looks like a partial creature, so when three of them magnetize together, it actually looks somewhat complete.

Doduo has such cute eyes that I'm sad when it gets voltorb eyes as a Dodrio...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2015, 04:30:28 AM »
magnemite's hit some good fucking heroin guys

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2015, 07:08:17 AM »
Yeah, I dig Magnemite/Magneton, they manage to capture the natural construct thing well.

I'm a pretty big fan of Dodrio too. Takes a cool design concept (three-headed flightless bird) and makes it look all badass; it (they?) will fuck you up. The specifics aren't too special (beyond the beaks which I quite like) but the overall design feels like it just works.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2015, 07:33:37 AM »
Since the only two posts I made in this subforum today have been drug jokes, lets be real for a second.

Magneton/Magnemite - Yeah they are rad as fuck.  Magneton suffers slightly from them being connected North/North South/South next to each other, but it looks better than them being alternating.  Science suffers for art.

Why does Doduo have an extra joint on its feet than Dodrio?  Also when I evolve I want to grow another head that is sick of this shit.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2015, 10:30:57 PM »
Never thought about Magneton that way, but you're right; as a Pokemon that's literally just "3 of it's prior evolution", it actually fits because of the nature of the Pokemon where as yeah, Dugtrio is "...we have no idea what to do, here's 3 of them together."

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »
Seel: Your face is stupid. That is all. What do you want? Okay, okay, fine. The water spout tail is actually kind of a neat design and the horn is a clever addition that nicely blends seals and narwhals and manatees. Face is still stupid. 2/5

Dewgong: Your face is less stupid. But still not great. Nothing exciting going on here. The nice texturing on the fins is about the only thing this design has going for it. White is nice for communicating the ice thing, I guess? Honestly, I would rate this thing and Seel pretty high on the "Gen 1 Pokemon Andrew Barely Ever Remembers" list. 3/5

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2015, 04:04:31 AM »
I only remember Dewgong because he was the most powerful Pokemon card I had in the brief ~2 weeks I tried to get into the Pokemon card game. This may or may not have contributed to me losing interest in the pokemon card game.

Also, your mom's face is stupid.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2015, 04:18:49 AM »
I like seals so I've always kind of liked Seel and Dewgong. That said, these aren't particularly inspired designs and they'd definitely be on the list of pokemon I'd cull to streamline the roster. Not the first on the list, but definitely on the list, particularly with Spheal fulfilling the 'adorable sea mammal' quotient far better.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2015, 02:05:41 AM »
Seel series so boring it killed the thread.

Fact.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2015, 02:20:02 AM »
Can't argue.

C'mon Andy, talk about some sludge.

Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2015, 03:53:48 AM »
Sorry. I had some other writing I had to do over the last few days and felt a bit burned out. Gimme a day or three and I promise y'all a big batch.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2015, 07:05:17 AM »
Okay. I promised. Let's fucking get this train back on track.

Grimer: I honestly like slimes, but Grimer is pretty low tier in that category. His shape is just unpleasant. He puts me more in mind of a dude melting than a sentient pule of sludge. The weirdly distinguished hands are part of it, as is the very distinct head area shape thing. 2/5 is probably harsh, but whatever. I'm back and I'm gonna rock this shit.

Muk: This is more what I want out of my toxic slime monsters. This thing looks like a heap of creeping sludge that is gonna ruin your day. Also, did I complain about the overuse of purple in Gen 1 Pokemon? Because Grimer and Muk contribute to it. Still, Purple is a decent toxic sludge color. 4/5.

Shellder: Shellder is adorable. Lookit those big eyes and that derp tongue. The shell's lines and spikes are nice, and the black, indistinct body is fine for a shellfish. 4/5

Cloyster: Vagina jokes. We good here? I actually love Cloyster's shell (it's awesome, that's what an angry, aggressive death clam looks like), but the super distinct orb body and spike on Cloyster don't do it for me. I'd like this design more if if it had a less distinct shape like Shellder, I think I'd like it more. I get it's the whole pearl thing, but I just don't like it. Still, that shell is awesome. 3/5

Gastly: Literally all purple pokemon today. Still, he's cool. Orb design works way better here, though I'm still not the biggest fan. Ghostly trail is wonderfully jagged and cool. Fangs are sorta odd but actuall work to me and the eyes are appropriately menacing. The eyes actually coming off the body is actually a great, great touch and really hammers home that he's abnormal. 4/5

Haunter: Mixed opinions, here. I don't like the shape of Haunter's main body, but the mouth and the eyes are also pretty awesome and I absolutely adore the disconnected hands. Too sleepy to decide on 3 or 4, so credit for the disembodied hands. 4/5.

Gengar: You know what kind of ghosts are awesome? Not fat ones with stubby legs and arms, that's for sure. Holy crap, I hate all the trade evo pokemon almost. Face is great, but the rest of it enrages my sleepy mind. 2/5

Onix: Something not at all purple. Not a ton to stay here. It's a giant rock snake made of boulders. Rocks are nicely craggy and detailed. Feel a bit weird about the horn, but eh. It's a solid design 4/5

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
I personally liked Gengar's design.  It feels like it's less menacing and more going for a Prankster Poltergeist, which is how it's portrayed in just about all external content, so the fact that it's not scary or menacing I think actually works with the design.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2015, 03:15:06 PM »
Gengar feels just disconnected from Gastly and Haunter to me.  Both Gastly and Haunter are essentially floating eyes and mouths with Haunter looking like a tear in reality or something.  Gengar distinctly has form and that is super boring

Also

Cloyster: Vagina jokes. We good here?
Nope.

I actually love Cloyster's shell (it's awesome, that's what an angry, aggressive death clam looks like)
Because you are still talking about vaginas.

Also cloyster is shit and I never undestand why people like it.  So you take Shellder which is like a mussel or something and it evolves into a smirking battle pearl?  They have nothing to do with each other.  I suppose it is fitting that Cloyster fucking suck because Shellder evolves from a clam into clam shit.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2015, 04:34:14 PM »
I am definitely with Andy on Gengar, one of the most disappointing evolutions of all-time. I really do like Haunter a lot, Gengar just looks like a dopey teddy-bear who falls somewhere between cute and scary while being nowhere close to either. Those limbs, man, what the hell.

(Also, quite aside from opinions on Cloyster's appearance, which I like but don't love and certainly prefer to boring vague Shellder, I'll note that gameplaywise the pokemon definitely does not suck. Unless that is a reference to some move it has that I am forgetting.)

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2015, 08:35:56 PM »
Honestly Gengar's score is higher than I thought it would be.
...into the nightfall.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »
Entirely about appearance.  In game it is an anything that gets Ice Beam.