Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 112530 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2016, 02:41:29 PM »
So I made another run through Bloodborne because I remembered I'd never actually got around to trying the pizza cutter and this was an intolerable oversight. I ran directly to the Hunter's Nightmare as soon as it was open to make a suicide run for that and the Beast Cutter. Spoilers most of the game is not built around you having these weapons. Statistically the Whirligig Saw is probably the best strength weapon? I've been getting some really crazy numbers out of this thing, and did I mention you are cooking fools with a giant pizza cutter? Beast Cutter R2 is the longest reach you can get in this game and will stagger seemingly anything. If you wanted a good version of the threaded cane, this is pretty much it. Both outstanding weapons you can grab reasonably early if you know exactly where they are and are prepared to make a suicide run at level 30 or whatever. Death count for this run was five (1: deliberately dying to Cleric Beast so I can level; 2: POPS G; 3: swarmed by dogs retrieving Beast Cutter; 4: swarmed by dog-birds, bird-dogs, insane hunter shoots me off a ladder while trying to retrieve pizza cutter; 5: overconfident vs. Maria, obliterated from full health in one combo when she was like one hit from dying).

What I mostly posted to mention, though: if you talk to the old lady after she's gone crazy, she'll give you a sedative, right? What I didn't know is that if you keep talking to her, she'll just give you more (1, 2, and then like 3 at a time) until eventually she just tells you to be patient, dearie (she thinks you're her child). Next time I stop by the cathedral ward lamp, she's gone and there's a note on her chair. Welp, I figure, looks like I got another Souls NPC killed by just interacting with them too much. But nope, next time I come back here, she's in her chair again with more sedatives. Nice! So I repeat talking to her until she's run out again and gives me the same line about needing to wait for more. And then I stroll off to do whatever for a while and eventually I come back to the zone to finish off Alfred's quest and I see there's another note on her chair to the extent of "I'll be back in a jiffy, sweet-pea." Oh granny, you and your sedative habit.

Then I walk outside the church and she's lying dead on the ground.

I talked to the creepy beggar guy after this and he was all heartbroken about how she's dead and it's all his fault but nah dude I'm pretty sure this one's on me.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2016, 05:29:13 PM »
Bloodborne:  This game sucks because it is not like Dark Souls and I wanted more Dark Souls.  Killed Cleric Beast by standing in its face and swinging my axe constantly, stamina be damned.  Killed Father Gastroencephalitis by spamming blunderbuss shots which is the only enemy I've found blunderbuss to be good against.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2016, 12:52:48 AM »
Jumping back into Dominions 4 Multiplayer. An MA, 16 player game set on a huge map with 24 hour turns. Should get plenty of time to expand, build forts, and flail ineffectually.

I'm playing as Pythium with an awake Earth Serpent, so expansion shouldn't be a problem and I don't need magic diversity for a few years since I'm hoping to rush out angels with my huge astral income and, well, raid and dominate my sphere.. There's lots of thrones so I'm hoping to luck into some additional mages there, or maybe even earth income- if I get earth income, my pretender can build a dwarven hammer, and there will be discount owl quills for all!

My start position is great since I'm in a corner, so I only have a couple of flanks to worry about. On the other hand, it's almost certain I'll have to fight an early war since I'm near a couple of thrones.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2016, 05:47:47 AM »
FF Type-0: Completed.

I'll keep this rant brief.  Basically, in short, kind of disappointed at the game.  I've already ranted about the Voice Acting nonsense, though I guess I should give credit to the fact that the last chapter, the voice acting quality did jump considerably as the actors felt like they were actually trying, so it was no longer "Ada, Wait!" level bad.

My issues with the game are otherwise this:

-Combat system feels kind of cheap.  The main issue I have is the game REALLY hates melee fighters and if your fighter isn't good at Magic, or you equip the wrong kind of spell, you could legitimately be SOL for certain areas.  The entire issue could be resolved if they just gave you a Jump button.  I wish they just did KH style combat in that you hold a button down to access a hot-key of several attacks, instead of being locked to 4 moves until a save point.

-Character deaths not well handled; ranted about this already, won't go into details.

-Enemy level curve is stupid.  Level is kind of a god stat, near as I can tell, and at first things are fine, but then you hit Chapter 5 or so and the game is all "Suggested level is 28!" *highest level character is 22*  Leveling is slow too unless you abuse Secret Training.  I get it; this was a carry over from the Portable area, but it's still stupid.  I don't mind this stuff for optional aspects, but forced areas?  Argh! Just do level scaling for plot missions.

-The Ensemble cast, in that they have a cast of 12 characters and try to give them roughly equal time...in a 10~ hour game.  You never really get a good sense of character growth or development, and there's no real focus either.  This makes the ending fall completely on deaf ears, since all the ideas they're talking about are so poorly established.  The whole "These are kids who grew up knowing nothing but war!" is completely lost and we only recognize that when the game comes out in the final hour saying "Wait, there's things you can study BESIDES Warfare!? That's crazy!"  The cast really needed to be cut down in half, or alternatively, make a primary 6 characters, with the other 7 just being there for primarily gameplay purposes.  Better to have half the cast receive some level of characterization beyond surface level stuff than the entire cast fall on it's face.  All we really get is, near as I can tell:

Ace: Generic acting-leader dude
Deuce: Reserved Girl
Trey: By The Books Guy
Cater: Quirky cheerful girl
Cinque: Ditz
Sice: Serious Bitch
Seven: Rational Bitch (honestly, her and Sice were basically interchange-able, I often confused them)
Eight: Exists
Nine: Is Raijin
Jack: The Simple yet optimistic one
Queen: Brainy Girl
King: Stoic Guy

I may have fudged some of those up, but that's because the game gives you so little to work with until the last few scenes.  Really, the only personalities that actively stood out were Nine's (because he's very open about the "Tough Idiot" thing), Queen because she actually speaks like an intellectual at times, and Cater because her VA actually put inflections on the character to give her something resembling a character in her lines.  While the game succeeded at focusing on the class as a whole instead of individual characters, it failed to actually give any character enough time to really become a developed figure.  It contrasts, say, Dissidia which did the same thing, giving the 10 heroes equal spot light (with WoL getting a little bit more as the designated "Ensemble Lead"), and while Dissidia has it's issues here, you can at least get a full snapshot of the character in question. Ignoring accuracy, if you didn't play their original games, you could get a sense of what kind of character they are or what they were aiming for with them, and at least see some level of growth, if forced, on the characters.  Type-0, I can't tell you how, say, Trey started the game and how it was different from where he ended.

-I left off Rem and Machina on purpose, because I feel they need to be addressed separately.  In a sense, while Type-0 is an ensemble...these two are the real protagonists of the game since they get significantly more attention than the rest of the class, being the new students.  Now I don't mind this in terms of Rem because I feel Rem they had an interesting angle to take and she wasn't offensive, just kind of wish they did more with her, but Machina?  He's the real issue.  At first, Machina didn't seem so bad; ok, he's over-protective of his childhood friend, because he doesn't want to lose her; ok, that's not something I'm fond of but it's also something I can tolerate.  The problem is that Machina just becomes more insufferable as the game goes on.  "Hey, your brother was killed helping Class Zero, CLEARLY they are the ones responsible for his death!" "YOU"RE RIGHT! THEY SHOULD PAY!" was the moment where I realized just how bad Machina is and the game really does nothing to offset this.  Also I felt it was blatantly obvious that the new Milites l'Cie was him.  Gee, he disappears for a chapter and that same chapter Milites gets a NEW MYSTERIOUS MASKED l'CIE WHO APPEARS OUT OF NOWHERE! Totally not suspicious!  The fact that Machina is one of the only characters to get any legitimate focus just makes the game's utter lack of character focus hurt that much more.

-As a positive, I will grant Type-0 did a decent job with the limited screen time given to the supporting cast member NPCs.  Kurosame was probably the best handled honestly, as I legitimately felt bad when he was gone.  It's rare they can make a hard-ass, kind of a dick leader actually seem like a decent guy but they pulled it off, since they demonstrated that yes, he does care about Class Zero, and wants to support them, but he only has so much pull, and were it not for the awful voice acting, I feel Class Zero's reaction to him being dead, eg "So this guy was our leader?  I hear he was a dick, **** him" would have been quite powerful since they team goes "we'll remember you, we promise!" but nope, Crystal tells you to flip off, so the guy's noble sacrifice and good deeds are all for naught.  I also appreciate the One Eyed Milites Commander, being the trope of "he's the enemy, but he's not a bad" but not painful in it.  He has no remorse for fighting for his side, but he's clearly not a bad person, and they even give him a fitting end that lets you look at him with a "yeah, he went out a hero" and in a way that would be viewed positively from Milites' point of view too given he prevented a potential serious **** up by someone else and saved many lives, not just the player's "hey he helped the team, he's a cool guy!" 

-Game's too short.  Seriously, this ties in with the ensemble issue, in that they have a really interesting setting with a lot of facets to explore, and a big primary cast...and hope to get everything done in as little time as possible.  I'm not against short games, but this game was inappropriately short.  Crisis Core is similarly lengthed, but the game is focused on one character and his point of view, and had the advantage of being in an already familiar setting, so they didn't have to do major setting establishments.  It's a pity because Type-0 definitely has an intriguing world I'd love to learn more about, but it really doesn't give it enough time.

Overall, for a game I was interested in, it left me disappointed.  It has some ok points, but overall I cannot defend this game much, as it screws up too many details.  I WOULD be interested in a sequel of the game, if they actually handled it like a full-length game and tried to address a lot of the issues mentioned above, since yes, Type-0's world is definitely one worth revisiting, but the game itself leaves a lot to be desired.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2016, 05:57:23 AM »
These names just keep getting more ridiculous

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2016, 03:03:35 PM »
Type 0 is noteworthy for being the very first game I got full platinum on.

That's mainly because you can get platinum without doing everything in that game.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »
Bloodborne: Right, I've been playing this. One-shot Cleric Beast, lucked out after a bunch of tries with Gascoigne and his third phase going into an attack loop, spent 4 hours on Vicar Amelia (it's all online, my shame forever chronicled), and lost to Witch of Hemwick once because of paralysis spell. Made it to blessed Amygdala, but not actually tried it yet. Was using Hunter's Axe but swapped to Kirkhammer and am enjoying myself more.

Having a blast.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2016, 09:00:59 PM »
Bloodborne: Right, I've been playing this. One-shot Cleric Beast, lucked out after a bunch of tries with Gascoigne and his third phase going into an attack loop

This the exact opposite of my initial experience with those two bosses. Also Amelia is terrifying. Come to that, Gascoigne phase 3 first time I fought him was probably the most terrifying thing I have ever dealt with in a game.

~

MGS3: I am happy to see that The Pain remains a backflipping fool even in the afterlife.

I love every scene with Volgin in it because every single person in his inner circle is at least a double agent and he never figures it out. What a toolbox.

Kuwabara, kuwabara

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2016, 09:03:35 PM »
Going mostly blind, Cleric Beast was camera souls 2015 edition for me, utterly driving me to insanity and killed me like 4 times. Father G was the hardest boss in the game for me clocking in at 7 or 8 attempts. Amelia chewed me up a good 3-4 times before I came back to her later and killed her with upgraded equipment.

Every single other boss was 1-3 attempts with exceptions for a couple rougher ones, Bloodborne earlygame confirmed op (haven't done the DLC yet though!)

also it's a really, really good game

EDIT: Boss attempts until clear for funsies cause I wanted to jog my memory. Listed in order I fought them.

Cleric Beast: 4
Father G: 7-8 (found him before CB)
Wicked Witch of the West: 1
BSB: 1
That asshole on the roof: 3 (FUCK HIM)
Amelia: 5 (found her after Father G, went back considerably later)
D.B. Pearl, Electric DJ: 4
3 Dudes in Cloaks: 2
Kitty Kat Who Guards Us From Lovecraft: 3 (I swear I was more distracted by how cute rolling over on his belly is)
Amy: 1
Skullfucker: 6
This Time It's A Staircase, Not A Ladder (Not That I Saw It Until Later Anyway): 2
Cage Man: 1
Totally Not Royal Rat Vanguard: 1
Why Does Your Charge Hit Twice asdfasdf: 4 (probably actually the hardest boss in-game, I had to use consumables)
Cradle Robber: 3
Press X For The Obvious Bad End: 3
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:25:11 PM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »
I know, Cleric Beast more like Camera Beast. That bridge is a bad arena for something that big.

BB camera is fine most of the time but probably the most homicidal in the series when you're stuck in cramped quarters.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2016, 09:28:07 PM »
Gods fucking dammit you guys I had give up on that game based on how shit the first two bosses are (and how shit the opening is.  Unlocking levelling on gaining Insight is so bad).

Also get2Ebrietas faster plox
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2016, 09:30:23 PM »
I was very salty about the same things Grefter, no worries, the Insight thing is super stupid and the first two bosses bent me over and had their way with me

but turns out (aside from some bullshit about exactly what opens up when and limited window availability to do stuff that Alex thankfully pointed out to me - that's probably the worst part of the game IMO) the rest of the game is actually really good
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2016, 09:34:02 PM »
Plz.  Plz ebrietas.  Also Frenzy.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2016, 09:37:03 PM »
bro i got to 60 insight as soon as i could on request and never went below it

i know all about frenzy

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2016, 09:48:06 PM »
Y rnt u madder

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2016, 11:42:51 PM »
because an old lady gives you lots of drugs to cope with staring at lovecraftian horrors

it's that sort of game

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2016, 12:57:47 AM »
yea but what about how bad it is in game, not real life

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2016, 01:00:07 AM »
Is it expected that the part I like the most about the game is that point at the beginning where you don't even know how the fuck you're supposed to level up and you just keep dying and losing all your souls

It was unfamiliar!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2016, 01:19:32 AM »
It is expected that you like it and that it is what makes me hate it.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2016, 02:33:57 AM »
VALID COMPLAINTS RAR RAR
Get gud scrub

Yeah I watched enough of Laggy running Bloodbourne to know I will enjoy playing the shit out of it at some point, but goddamn are parts of it just stupid. Then again, it's not like Dark Souls is a stranger to fucking stupid design decisions. Dusk of Oolacile? Losing your Pyro teacher by talking to him too much? Yeah. They do seem a lot more frontloaded and less optional in BB though to be sure.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2016, 05:18:12 AM »
Bloodborne is great and I'm with Fenrir, seeing the doll come to life later is cool. 

Everything to do with NPC sidequests can go die, though.  (And most do hrhrhrhrhr)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
You only lose your pyro teacher if you got a Chaos Pyromancy and spoke to Laurentius.  You have access to a better trainer.  This CAN miss you out on Iron Body and Flash sweat, but what the fuck were you even DOING at that point?

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2016, 11:39:53 AM »
Yeah, exactly, and after you stumble upon having one insight you can level. The end result of neither of them is all that bad and they're easily avoided/stumbled upon, but they're both stupid design.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2016, 08:17:07 PM »
Nonono, insight gating levels gate you behind being as weak as you possibly can and unable to progress other than "git gud".  Flash Sweat is only useful in like 2 boss fights?  Iron Body is cool but can be subbed for rolling a fat suit.

When you can level all the trash between you and Camera Beast or Father Dogecoin can very easily go from being 4 hit to 2 or 3 hit killed.  Your armour pretty much doubles and even if you don't get but you HP pool goes up.  The difference between locked at level 1 and being able to level is massive and they literally force new players to do this.  Bloodborbe aggressively pushed away new players to the "series" and it is a new IP on a new platform.

That is fucking stupid.

They should just put a Mad Man's Knowledge in the middle of the square down the lane with 1 billion dudes and in front of the door the giant minion thing is bashing on.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2016, 08:34:13 PM »
Yeah Zenny the more salient point here is that you actually have do a fair bit of exploring before getting Insight, and it's not even obvious that Mad Men's Knowledge (aka item Humanity) should be used immediately to gain 1 Insight to unlock leveling up with the doll because nothing in the game actually tells you you need Insight to begin with. The "intended" method is to run into one of the two bosses accessible from the start (encountering a boss for the first time gives you 1 liquid Insight, beating it gives 2), wherein you would probably die, revive in the game's hub and see that the waifu NPC is now awake and can level you up.

Unless Alex had flat out told me I needed to get 1 Insight I probably wouldn't have even consumed the Mad Men's Knowledge I had found exploring, and that took a couple of hours to get there to begin with. There was PLENTY of combat inbetween that time where I just had useless souls stacked up. By the nature of my exploring I hadn't found any of the bosses either.

So while I appreciate the aesthetic of requiring Insight to bring the doll to life (and it's cool and all) I don't really find the obfuscation of the gameplay gating a fairly a crucial mechanic acceptable, especially to anyone new to the series.